Jojoba Oil reviews

4.2/5 - 341 reviews

Jojoba Oil (100% Organic), and a supportive community.

LESS IS MORE
Reviewed on October 9, 2014

i have oily skin, 2-3 weekly pustules and rarely cysts..

I manage my acne with BP and AHA 8% and I find jojoba oil to be a good moisturizer for my irritated skin, and a good carrier for the treatment products..

I think the key is to use only 3-4 drops for the entire face, when your skin is dry and flaky because of bp, aha and retinoid..

If your face isn't dry, mix it with 2-3 drops of water first.

I use it for 2 months now and it hasn't broke me out

Perfect
Reviewed on September 11, 2014

For men i recomend to use it before shave, massage your beard with the jojoba oil and then apply your shave cream it leaves your face smooth and beautiful after the shave! Plus add it in your daily moisturizer cream for a better hidratation

Generally improved my skin
Reviewed on August 19, 2014

I have super dry (obviously) acne prone skin. A really fantastic combination, right? I also get to deal with moderate acne as well. I've always struggled with my skin and finding ways to improve my face without using tons of harsh chemicals and such. My skin has always also caused me troubles whenever applying foundation as we'll because basically no matter what I did my foundation would end up looking flakey and gross after a few hours. After buying jojoba oil from the vitamin shoppe I was a little nervous since almost everything makes me break out and nothing ever helps my skin. I believe it has helped my skin greatly. My skin texture is no longer super bumpy and gross and it looks so much smoother and almost glowing. It has also helped in tandem with a nightly honey mask to reduce redness and my scars don't look quite as noticeable. I use this to also remove my makeup at the end of the day. I'm a night-showerer so I use this to remove makeup, shower, leave on my face for at least 5 minutes, wash off, use honey, wash off after at least 10 minutes and reapply the jojoba oil before I go to bed. I don't use a whole lot- just about a nickel sized amount. I also usually let it set in for a few minutes at least before I kind of oil-blot my face and then go to bed and use it once again in the morning for my makeup. It may seem a little excessive but it has helped my skin so much. In combination with jojoba oil and layering on my foundation mixed with some moisturizer, I've found the secret to keeping my skin fairly flake free. I haven't broken out hardly at all since using this (although it's been only about 2-3ish weeks). I think this has transformed my skin. I realize this product is not for everyone but for those with dry, flakey, acne prone skin it might do the job. Hopefully my decent skin lasts because I now feel somewhat comfortable walking outside without applying makeup. My skin is so much softer and I don't feel greasy or dry or anything. I do recommend this product to anyone with similar issues.

Not for me
Reviewed on June 29, 2014

For the first couple of weeks I thought this was a miracle but then I had the worst breakout of my life and am still struggling with my skin four months later. Apparently I had a reaction with an 'essential ingredient'.

Persistance Prevails
Reviewed on April 29, 2014

OK, this is going to be long. I've put a summary at the bottom. I decided to give a long explanation as that way perhaps more people can relate to different bits of details.

I'm 23, male & have cystic (inflamed) acne. I have had very mild acne since 16 (1-2 every month) but since I came back from Uni 2 years ago, my face has exploded (1-4 cystic spots every week, coupled with acne marks makes unpleasant viewing). I tried Proactiv about a year ago and it cleared me up in 1.5 months and was naturally over the moon and become overconfident. I didn't like being dependent on a 3 step programme everyday for the rest of my life so I decided to switch to a more mild cleanser. And that's when it happened, my acne became much worse and more persistent - which I have seen with a lot of other people using Proactiv.

In September 2013 I became depressed and went to a dermatologist who put me on antibiotics (minocycline I think), I didn't notice much difference and after 8 weeks, I decided to quit. I didn't want to become dependent on antibiotics everyday and didn't feel comfortable taking them.

In November 2013 I then started BP and the regimen, however this made my face extremely red and whilst I got no new spots, my skin was extremely dry and my acne marks just would not go away (I heard BP slows down the healing process). The worst thing about the BP is it stimulated my oil glands to work overtime, because my face was so dry after a week I noticed about 5 hours after applying, my forehead especially was secreting a large amount of oil. This made me panic and I knew would just start a battle on my face of oil production vs BP and decided enough was enough and this was not the best approach.

I kept researching online and in December 2013 I found Jojoba oil (briefly it has anti-inflammatory, anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties whilst containing essential fatty acids and Vit E), since this was natural and chemical-free I thought this would be the best option long term. I firstly used it as a moisturizer but it just sat on my skin and made my face feel really greasy. I left it for 6 hours and it still didn't absorb.. so I was about to throw this product away and went to wash it off. I noticed that when I washed it away, my skin was left feeling soft and had that 'glow' i had been reading about. I researched further and saw that people used this as a cleanser.. and herein starts the real story.

HOW I APPLIED IT: In the shower, I washed my hair with shampoo first (trying not to get too much water on my face) so that the steam and heat from the water would open my pores. Once my skin was damp, I then took about 2-3 drops of oil into my palm and used my index finger to dip into the oil and place on my face, massaging in a circular motion. Once all the oil was on my face I would massage for about a minute and let it rest for 30 seconds before washing it off with the shower water. It will feel like its not coming off your skin but this is normal, don't try and scape it off. Once you finish, just gently pat your face with a towel and let the rest of the oil sink in.

DURATION: I had a lot of acne marks more than active cysts at this point so I was looking to see any improvement with the hyper-pigmentation. However, this didn't really help. I honestly believe time is the best remedy. Having said that, I didn't get any new acne and my skin-tone had evened out after 3 weeks. In week 4 though I noticed I had some clogged pores, but they weren't cystic - they were under the skin. At this point I nearly quit as I heard it was clogging for some people and thought my face might explode. BUT I continued and by week 8 SOME of the clogged pores came to a head (very small dot like cysts that went away with minimal marks remaining). However I still have 1 remaining clogged pore still but because it is not inflamed or red, it isn't visible and I'm confident it will come through eventually.

OILINESS: After 12 weeks, my skin became 85% clear but I had one major problem. Since using BP, my face was producing excess oil. I heard Jojoba would regulate that but it didn't in this timeframe. I showered at 7am and by 3pm my face was quite shiny. I decided that I would stop the Jojoba to see if my oil would decrease. A week after I stopped I noticed a considerable reduction in oiliness so I left it off for another week. However last month (March 2014) I developed 3 large inflamed cysts on my left cheek (I NEVER had this whilst using Jojoba oil) and I'm still recovering from the marks. I decided to go back to Jojoba but cut it down to 1 drop for my entire face. I did this for 3 weeks but the oiliness was roughly the same as using 2-3 drops.

PRESENT: So 3 weeks ago I decided again to come off Jojoba, and for 2 weeks it was great, my oiliness was reducing by the second week and had no new cysts - I finally thought I'd beaten acne! I decided to swap the Jojoba for ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) toner followed by Aloe Vera gel in the evenings instead of the morning. I heard ACV can balance oil production and remove acne marks (I had a few left on my left cheek). I diluted 50/50 with water and had no irritation... Then last Friday I developed one HUGE spot on my right cheek and 4 more large cysts on the right hand side of my face. I'm now back on Jojoba in the morning shower since Sunday and there is gradual reduction in the inflammation which I expect to clear by next week but will have more marks to deal with which will probably take another 2 months.

COMMENTS: I think Jojoba is great, it did what I wanted and cleared up my cystic acne. It takes a long time to be effective, 8 - 12 weeks to see the full benefit. However I have 2 (perhaps minor) issues with it: It causes some clogged pores (although not inflamed) which take forever to reach a head... It's not visible but you know its there which is frustrating. Secondly it didn't reduce my oil production (in fact my skin was more oily). Although, strangely enough even though my skin was oily I never broke out whilst on Jojoba. My theory is this is because that if my pores became blocked, they would be unclogged the next morning by Jojoba. I've heard it can take 6 months or more for skin oil to become regulated so maybe this is a premature criticism.

BLOCKED PORES AND NEW REGIMEN: Jojoba oil is NOT non-comedogenic (for those who hate double negatives, jojoba IS COMEDOGENIC). It has a rating of 2/5 on the comedogenic scale (0 being non-clogging and 5 being certain to clog pores) and so this is why people break out from it. I've now discovered a new oil which I am beginning this week which has a comedogenic rating of 0 (Yes - ZERO, it will not clog pores at all). I am replacing Jojoba with this and will use it for 12 weeks or more. I want to see if it is as effective whilst being able to control oil production and not cause clogged pores. I am going to post this same review in the forums but with updates on this new oil. Please feel free to follow me if your interested.

SUMMARY:

PRO'S

Clears cystic acne

Reduces inflammation

Makes skin 'glow'

Prevents new breakouts

CON'S

Can clog pores

Did not reduce oiliness after 3 months use

Requires 8 - 12 weeks to see significant improvement

Does not fade acne marks/scars

If your skin is not suitable then I think you will know in a week. I had a small 'purging' phase but my face didn't explode, I just had small cysts come to a head. If after a week you are breaking out badly, I wouldn't continue using it - it is usually bad sign in my experience.

Having said that if you don't see anything/minor improvements then keep going. With any treatment I have to remind you as I've learned - persistence prevails. It will take time to see results. I don't think absorbing chemicals through our skin everyday is beneficial in the long term - it creates more toxins that your liver has to remove.

Best of luck friends.

by Starry7 on 06/07/2014 14:48
Hi Persistence Prevails... Thanks for the great read on Jojoba oil. I recently started using a few drops of Frankincense oil to even out my complexion and tighten, and Lavender oil to fight my acne with Jojoba as the carrier. The Frankincense reduces the oil production for me and shrinks my pore size too.. Amazingly I see a profound difference in one week. And the lavender is great for the cystic acne. Would you like to try?
Is it a miracle moisturizer?
Reviewed on April 1, 2014

I started The Regimen to combat the endless white heads on my face. Within a short time, my face cleared up amazingly. My face hasn't been this clear in a long time, but the nasty dryness and itchiness from the BP made me question if it was worth it to continue. I bought jojoba oil as in a desperate attempt to heal the rough skin -- my face felt like sandpaper! The first night i put it on, it stung badly. I was freaking out because i was assured it was supposed to be calming and not irritating. I tried it another night; it stung less. By the third night, there was no more stinging and something wonderful happened: i woke up to babysoft skin. I was amazed at the transformation. The rough skin had returned to its usual softness, and the more i used the jojoba oil, it became even softer!

My skin is no longer dry and rough thanks to the jojoba oil. I was skeptical from the initial reaction, but it had subsided. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has dry, itchy skin from using BP.

Breaks me out but clears blackheads
Reviewed on March 5, 2014

Jojoba oil breaks me out in lots of little whiteheads like no other oil ever has. Olive oil breaks me out in more cystic ones so I don't think it's a reaction but I genuinely think Jojoba oil is more comedogenic than people think.

Targeted application to blackheads helps to soften them though so cleansing pulls them away.

Best oil for acne-prone skin
Reviewed on December 28, 2013

Jojoba oil is extremely non-comedogenic and beneficial for acne-prone skin. It's known for dissolving oils from hair, dirt, makeup, etc. It completely unclog the pores. It's also the most similar oil to our skin's natural sebum which balances oil production.

I use jojoba as a makeup remover by putting several drops on a cotton cosmetic pad and wiping it over all areas of my face, especially my forehead. Then I massage it for a minute or two. I wash off the oil with a face cleanser, and then I use it as a part of my moisturizing regimen.

Highly recommended!!!

jojoba worked on my oil/acne prone skin. best cleanser.
Reviewed on November 5, 2013

I used proactive at the sight on one pimple around age 15. That was the catalyst for terrible skin because after proactive my skin began to break out terribly. I continued using proactive and other very expensive derm procedures which did improve my skin but caused it to be extremely sensitive. Anytime my skin would be 100% great I would stop using proactive and just wash my skin with a benzoyl peroxide non abrasive cleanser like clean and clear (I didnt want to damage my skin with proactive because from what I've read is a very harsh and unhealthy product nor did i want to be forever dependent upon proactive). this would cause huge breakouts in my skin. I did this several times in those ten years and each time it was the same result. Tten years later (at my current age 25) I decided to commit to getting off proactive permanently. my skin was terrible for the first 4 months partly due to my inconsistent use of many diff products. i committed to a combination of the regimen with gentle and chemical free origins cleanser + benzoyl peroxide alternating with retina. My skin has seen improvement but breakouts are still occurring especially in my forehead (I never broke out here in the ten years on proactive). Recently, i decided to use an even more gentle cleaner, jojoba oil. I also began washing my face only once a day (something I've never done in the past 10 years). I immediatelyi saw a huge difference in my skin. it was soft, the acne that was present was minimized by the second day and my skin continued to look healthy around the blemishes.I also did not break out.

so far so good. eventually id like to eliminate the bp and just stick with tretinoin every other night. we'll see...

Best oil ever!
Reviewed on September 24, 2013

My favourite oil ever! Do I recommend this item? YES YES YES~!!!