Page 7 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2079 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Love it! Week 6 and a HUGE HUGE difference!
Reviewed on April 19, 2016

Just fantastic.

im on 60mg a day for 20weeks. Currently on week 6. Amazing difference!

Side effects so far;

Excessive heavy nosebleeds (slowing now)

Dry skin/rashes (on my arms weirdly)

Mega dry lips (Highly recommend 1% Hydrocortisone cream for stings and rashes- Miracle when you're desperate!)

Dry itchy scalp

Moody/anxiety- a little between weeks 3-4 (now ok)

Had initial flare up of spots on week two, lasted around 10 days, now literally haven't has a new spot since! My skin seems to be peeling like a snake, be on guard with a good moisturiser, tons of lip balm and Vaseline. Stick it up your nose before you go to sleep, gross yes, but you'll thank me for that advice! Any form of Lippy or lip-gloss makes mine ten times worse, so I going with practical over pretty for 20 weeks.

Ive had terrible skin since I was 15, im now 31. I battled to get this med, and it comes with more warnings than an explosive ship. But its SO SO SO WORTH IT!!!!! Week 6, my skin is already better than its looked in my WHOLE adult life!

I can deal with the dry skin etc, the moodiness, a bleeding nose, and scratching my head all day long like I have nits, because my skin is already dramatically different!!! I cant wait to see what I look like by September!

SO seriously, the side effects are a little unpleasant. But isn't having acne day in day out more unpleasant?! I think so. My confidence has been rock bottom for so long. Im always wearing make up. But now im so nearly at the stage by wk6 of going make up free!!!!!!!! Mega life win that will be!

Just a word of advise- DONT try and squeeze spots once you've got going with this medication. Literally all they skin comes off around it and you are left with a huge red patch if red raw skin. Especially around my nose I found, literally it make the skin lift off under pressure. Just leave the spot, it will be gone tomorrow!They vanish the night!

Go for it, you wont regret it!! ( I ignore all the ' this ruined my life reviews'). Make your own mind up. The side effects are gritty, but I cant say living with acne has been much fun so i'll take this one!

Don't delay trying this
Reviewed on April 19, 2016

Best thing to happen to me EVER

Prior to this drug: depression, hated my skin. Avoided all social interaction (as much as I could). Held back on relationships. Didn't bother sitting in certain lighting. Didn't go swimming, sauna, gym etc as I didn't want to be seen without make up. Didn't even open my front door as I couldn't handle the acne on my face.

Accutane period- 7 to 9 odd months of Accutane. I would say it got worse before it got better. This was last resort for me but I was at the end of my tether and NEEDED relief as the acne was cystic, painful, red and unfortunately leaving me with A LOT of scars :(

First few months was hard. Spots kept appearing. Skin hurt.

Month 4-5 turning point in my skin. Clearer, better, brighter complexion. Friends and family noticed the difference and commented on how great it was.

Month 6-9 up and down good and bad skin days. More good than bad. Towards he end it was great. Skin improved and improved even some of the scars filled up. LOVED the drug.

Side effects: dry hair. Dry eyes. That's it nothing else

Positive side effects- have my confidence back. I'm a new person. I can go out with my friends now. I don't hold back in reltionships. I DO have a lot of scarring but I literally do not care (sometimes) as I have been through the sh*t and back with my skin. I am no longer depressed!

One year on; 2016- I do get the odd spots here and there. The acne has DRAMATICALLY reduced. It is not acne anymore it is a few spots mostly around my period. No biggie. I no longer get depressed about this life goes on!

Scars - It does bother me. I have become great at concealing my scars with makeup. You can see them but only if your at a 40 cm distance from my face. So not bad. I will be getting treatment in the near future around 1.5-2 year time.

Bottom line: try the drug. It is close to a miracle. Your depression days will be gone and you can finally feel at peace with your face.

There IS light at the end of the tunnel (cliche but true)

Rough 6 months but *so* worth it.
Reviewed on April 18, 2016

I'm a 26 year old female who has struggled with acne for 10 years. I suffered from grade 4 acne on my face and back. It had been 2 years with my dermo trialing every topical acne cream out there, only to result in a bright red flaming peeling face that felt like I had shards of glass in my face every time I used one of these creams. Finally, she recommended Accutane. I did a lot of my research, and although hesitant, it was my last resort.

I am just 2 weeks away from finishing a 6 month course of Accutane for the first time... and I must say, it was the best decision I've ever made. I started at 30mg for a month, then moved to 40mg x 2 weeks, 60mg x 2 weeks and 80mg for the rest of the treatment.

The side effects are pretty awful, but tolerable.

Chapstick is your best friend. As well as Vaseline. That stuff is ideal for shoving up your nose when it's dry and bleeding. Never be without Chapstick or you'll regret it for days to come.

My joints suffered a lot - knees, wrists, ankles, hips. As someone who loves high intensity work outs, I had to slow it down around months 4-5 as my joints and muscles were suffering too much.

I fatigued very easily - naps were my best friend, and on my days off, it would be easy for me to sleep 12-14hrs.

Lots of headaches and back pain, which resolved with Advil as my dermo didn't recommend Tylenol.

My appetite decreased substantially (however I gained 15lbs... this is most likely due to the fact that I was drinking 4+ litres of water a day, not working out as much and eating sweets/dairy since I hadn't had them in ages). I'm fairly certain the weight will fall off when I'm off the meds.

Never be without a water bottle. You will always be thirsty. Avoid saunas, hot tubs and hot yoga (I learned that one the hard way)

I still drank as much beer as I normally would and my liver enzymes never suffered (although I've always been an incredibly healthy person so I'm sure that helped) but the hangovers were an absolute nightmare.

Make sure to throw on the SPF when out in the sun - even if it's for a short while. I burnt after an hour of being outside which never happens to me.

If you wear contacts, I strongly advise investing in a pair of glasses you'll be comfortable in for the duration of treatment. I only wear contacts for special events and that's about it, since the dryness is too much after about 6 hours.

I never had any mood issues - other then being grumpy due to being in pain or too tired. My stomach was never an issue outside of the decreased appetite.

Overall, I definitely recommend this! I no longer wear foundation or make up EVER other then mascara. My back is scarred, but cleared up nicely. My make up routine went from 30 minutes to 3 minutes. I wash with charcoal soap or oatmeal soap twice a day, and in the morning put on Andalou Naturals Brightening Renewal Cream (it has a tint to it, as well as SPF 30) and in the evening, after cleansing, I throw shea butter on my face and call it a night. Other then mascara, these are the only things to go on my face now! A huge change from the mountains of cover up, foundation and creams I would put on my face (and back) to try and hide my acne.

The best moment was my most recent check up at my dermos when the nurse looked at me, looked at my history, and looked at me again and said "Uh... it says here you're in for grade 4 acne on your face. I think they got it wrong...You have amazing skin" Nope. That's just what 6 months of Accutane does :) Her jaw hit the floor. The side effects are well worth it - especially if you were as depressed as I was, crying over your acne and dreading waking up and looking in the mirror every day.

The side effects are awful!
Reviewed on April 16, 2016

In 2008, I took Accutane for 7 months, 3 pills/day, After 2 months, my skin was indeed clear, but it was incredibly dry, red and irritated. So my dermatologist reccomended Bioderma Sensibio moisturizer while taking Accutane. It did saved me a bit but I had to apply it like 3-4 times a day. Now, the side effects were awful... I was anxious, aggressive with people around me, angry, depressed and I became an antisocial kind of person. After stopping it, my face was great..for almost 4 months. Then I started breaking out again, badly.

I really think that the dosage & time are really important. For instance, my bestfriend took only 1 pill/day for 1 year and she is acne-free for almost 8 years now :)

And if you have hormonal acne(jawline and chin), Accutane is not a long-term solution.

ROUGH RIDE BUT SOOO WORTH IT
Reviewed on April 9, 2016

Moderate acne from time I was 13-25 y/o. Tried everything, nothing worked. Weve all heard it.

Moderate acne runs in my family. Accutane was the only thing that worked for my brother years back, but I was hesistant because of all the side effects and being a girl I know how much of a hassle/process it was to get. My skin had to get pretty bad (scarring, hyperpigmentation, small holes in my face from popping, cystic) in order for me to become willing. I did my research tho over the course of 2 years, I read up a ton and watched alot of Youtube expriences. Dermatologist said it would take probably take 16-20 weeks for my treatment. I started at 40mg first two months, topping out at 60mg for the last 3 months ( my weight was about 110-115lbs at the time). I was scared I would have the "initial breakout" that everyone talks about but surprisingly didnt. That in itself taught me that MY experience may not be yours and YOUR experience may not be mine.

Side effects throughout my treatment:

EXCESSIVE HAIR LOSS (dry and brittle due to no oil production)

dry, flakey/snake-like/ super irritable sensitive skin

chapped lips constantly

lower back pain in beginning of my Tx

bloody stool (3-5x a month)

dry eyes

bloody, scabby noses all the time

elevated liver enzymes

ringworm on both forearms (lasted 2 weeks)

eczema/ rash on my hands (througout Tx)

I took progress pictures throughout my journey (which i recommend you do). My skin didnt clear up instantly and didnt really start to see the results I wanted until month 4 almost into month 5, towards end of my treatment. The side effects that I went through were so annoying but tolerable, and I questioned if it would really be worth it or not. I stuck with it. The most annoying side effect for me was that Ive lost about 40-50% of my hair thickness. It still continues to fall out in the shower pretty depressing and I am hoping it will stop soon. My last dosage was almost 2 weeks ago. I tried a million over the counter Txs, prescribed topical creams, birth control, prescribed diuretics , oral antibiotics, fixing my diet.... nothing worked. If you ask "Would

you reccomend accutane or would

you do it again?" My answer would be "Absolutely, and only if your dermatologist rides the journey with you ."

Accutane Saved My Life!
Reviewed on April 5, 2016

When I was a junior in high school my acne was the worst it had ever been. My acne was severe and I could tell my face was starting to scar. I was so extremely depressed and would not want to hang out with my friends on the weekend. After trying many different products, prescribed and over the counter, I decided that go on accutane. After 3 or 4 months my skin had drastically improved (I took if for 4 months). When I was done I was so happy! Please, if your acne is making feel depressed and embarrassed, try actuate. It saved my life and boosted my confidence. If you are scared about the initial break out or the dry skin, it is worth the 4 to 6 months you are one it. I am so thankful a product like accutane is out there. Please try if you are fed up with your acne!!!

Would never recommended this to my worst enemies
Reviewed on April 4, 2016

I had a cousin who got into severe depression after taking these pills. Of course, his dermatologist denies any connection. Do your research folks before sacrificing your health (physical and mental). There are other much safer and even cheaper means to recover from acne.

by dou on 06/27/2016 13:30
My doctor told me it could lead to depression.i should start today but I m so scared to be honest
Brilliant but not so brilliant!
Reviewed on June 13, 2015

Brief description of myself:

Female, 32 years old, 63KG. On 40mg- 60mg.

I started taking this med in March, all seemed ok until around 3/4th day where I was ready to just give up, I started getting extremely hot, my face was on fire constantly, I was always red and of course peeling! Honestly I had "snake skin!". I was prescribed double based cream which I felt like I had to keep on putting on my face.

Anyhow I didn't give up, what I did was adjust a few things- instead of using the cream I started using raw organic coconut oil (previously used now and again)- my god what a difference! My face was constantly moisturised and it tackled the horrid scars! I only used coconut oil for my face nothing else.

Beauty regime- Morning- "cream" face with coconut oil (quite a bit), shower (water dries your face so be sure to put quite a bit of oil PRIOR to the shower), pat dry your face after shower, apply make up (I used Double Wear by Estée Lauder- amazing!).

At night I would "cream" my face with the oil (over the make up) then with cotton wool rub it off gently, wash with warm water, pat dry and apply a decent amount of oil before bed!

Always keep Vaseline near you, dry lips are terrible, and over time they get worse 😩..

My scalp got very dry too, again I used coconut oil. Put a good amount on your scalp, go sleep and wash in the morning! This problem was tackled within a couple of days!

I never broke out, in fact within a week or so I saw a huge improvement - my face was literally almost cleared! I couldn't believe it.. a couple of weeks ago I saw my derm and was hoping I would be told that my treatment was complete- however I still have 2 months to go at 60mg (previously on 40mg). I started taking the extra pill and the side effects got worse to the point that I almost gave up again, so I've decided to go back down to 40mg and unfortunately will have to stay on for a little longer..

I gave this med 4 stars purely down to the side effects, it is a rough ride but I personally think it's so worth it! My skin looks amazing, not ONE spot! (I've previously counted 30+!) . My scars are next to none (maybe the coconut oil has helped)..

If your about to start good luck, hope you don't have such a rough ride that you decide to give up..

All the best!!

Ahh yes- joints hurt too.

6months later.....

I previously wrote a review whilst on this treatment, so thought it would be good to let you all know what life is like once you finish yours! Absolutely fantastic! Not one single spot on my face or back..

I finished my treatment at the end of sept 2015, and since then I haven't had any breakouts , skin is back to normal (no longer feels sensitive), no more dry lips, or aching joints. I do wish I had taken this stuff sooner. I had previously given the medication 4 stars due to the side affects, it is a rough ride, but it's worth it.. I still only use raw coconut oil as a moisturiser, hardly ever wear foundation (only wear if I'm going out, for a smoother finish!) - that was a big thing for me when I had spots, I couldn't leave the house without - and I mean layers and layers of it! I have absolutely no scars what so ever, I don't know if it's because I used the coconut oil instead of double base cream but either way I'm happy I made the decision not to use the cream provided.. Please feel free to read my other review, it has some tips.

I also went on holiday whilst taking this, and was fine. Didn't burn at all, I used factor 50, applied fairly frequently- I had a lovely tan..

Good luck !

I wish I did Accutane when teen
Reviewed on March 26, 2016

I am writing this review 2 years after going through Accutane treatment.

I suffered medium acne with deep cysts that left me nasty scars. Pimple would take ages to disappear, instead I was having red swellings full of pus for month and month. It got always worse. By age of 25 my face was full of scars and acne would not go away. The strangest thing is that only after I got rid of acne, I actually realised how bad my face looked. It seems I was tottaly used to having pipmles, and it is fantastic to not have them any more!

I started to have acne as teenager. I was treating it in all possible ways (also antibiotics, that did nothing). When I was approx 17 yo my dermatologists suggested to try Accutane, but I got scared by all the side effect and tried all the other non effective methods. Acne never disappeared. I finally got fed up with acne at age of 27 and went through Accutane treatment for 6 month on 30mg. I did not use the contraception, as I knew because of my living situation I will not have "an accident". Side effects: dry skin, lips, nose and eyes. Couple of times severe head ache. Then of course, there was a month when all the pimples started to go out of skin, it was ugly. On a positive side, hair stayed fresh and clean for almost a week (I usually wash every day) and in a couple of month time my skin got very clean, all pimples disappeared and never came back! I did not notice any of those terrible side effects (like depression).

Already 2 years passed and I still have good skin, acne did not come back. I have a small pimple once in a while before periods. Once I had something like looked like an acne come back, but I used a cream with isotretinoin given by dermatologist, and everything immediately disappeared. I am very happy I did Accutane treatment. I wish I did it when I was teen, I'd have less scars, and so many sad moments would be saved. People judge you on your looks, it is very hard to stay careless to other judgements. In any case I feel much better now without acne. Now trying to heal the scars.

God Bless Accutane
Reviewed on March 21, 2016

Guys this stuff works, like really works. It works to the point hat I haven't been on this website in the past 3 months because Accutane just made my pretty severe acne better. I have one month left (I did six) and I get like one small zit maybe once a week and it goes away in a day. I still have some red marks but they're fading and my skin keeps looking better. If you are wondering if this is worth it, DO IT TAKE MY WORK IT WORKS WONDERS