Page 7 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 1911 reviews

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Accutane So Far
Reviewed on March 4, 2014

I used to have terrible cystic acne that hurt very badly. I tried so many products since I've been getting acne (about age 12). Nothing worked. I used Neutrogena, Clean and Clear, a lot of presecription topical treatments (Benzamycin, Tactuo, Stevia-A, Differin - None of them helped, they usually irritated my skin worse.

Given that accutane has actually gotten rid of the pimples is a miracle, i used to get the acne mostly on my cheeks,so they used to always look swollen, I've noticed now, my face looks slimmer and it looks like i actually have cheekbones (they are more contoured).

I took of a star from the rating because I've been on it for 5 months and i haven't seen too much of an improvement in my scarring (my scarring is very bad, very red)

I guess I'll have to wait when i'm done this cycle of accutane to see if the results are long lasting.

Bitter alumni.
Reviewed on February 25, 2014

I had to take Accutane for over a year because my doctor decreased my dosage due to feeling depressed. It did clear up my face, body, etc.. but I only had clear skin for only 6-7 months until I started breaking out again. My hopes were crushed and I believed, and I still do, that nothing was going to help my severe acne. My acne isn't as bad as it was before I was put on it, but the long-term results were not pleasing at all. My face broke out, my back broke out, my neck, shoulders, everywhere! At least my acne was clear when I took my senior photo during high school!! I still have breakouts.. I regret wasting time and money on Accutane. It was NOT worth it at all.

The most misunderstood medication ever
Reviewed on February 21, 2014

I'm documenting my Accutane log with the sole purpose of helping those who are confused about taking this oft-feared, oft-revered medication. Read my in-depth experience here (link below). I'll be updating it regularly. You can also ask me as many questions as you want on that forum and i'll be glad to help. Here's the link:

It worked very quickly with no side affects
Reviewed on February 20, 2014

It cleared my skin quickly. I was in my 40's when I finally got the nerve to try Accutane actually I had been going to the dr since I was 12 years old for acne and no one even recommended it. the reason I did not give it 5 stars was because I did not get to complete my treatments, and this was because I was forced to join a membership, and under this membership you have to call in and I was never able to call in reach anyone. Now I had to take pregnancy test although I was in my 40's have been going through early menopause and had my tubes tied. it was ridiculous. as a result I never got to complete my treatments eventually my skin begin to break out again. in fact I thought they took accutane off the market, because of the problems associated with it with other women. I still need to use it, and I will try again as soon as I find a dermatologist

Changed my skin forever
Reviewed on February 18, 2014

I had very bad acne starting around the 9th grade. I went on multiple prescriptions of creams, gels, lotions only to discover nothing will cure my acne. I became a very self-conscience high schooler, attending classes everyday embarrassed of my skin. My doctor finally suggested Accutane, but that followed with harsh side effects. I began taking Accutane in grade 10. The first symptom I noticed was dryness. I have always had oily skin and hair, and after taking Accutane I became very dry. Drinking 8 glasses AND more of water a day is a MUST on Accutane. It became pretty severe dryness, to the point where my facial skin was peeling. Lips cracking, hair dryness (which I wasn't complaining about, I could go a week without washing it!) and skin peeling were the major side effects for me. The peeling became very embarrassing, I would have to put coats of Vaseline on my face. After about two months my face was flawless, no pimple in sight. After I discontinued use of Accutane, my skin completely transformed for the better. Now I still do get the odd break out from time to time, mainly hormonal. But if I had not taken Accutane, today my skin would have been disastrous.

Horrific drug.
Reviewed on October 4, 2013

I was prescribed claravis for very mild acne and it essentially wrecked my life. Thinned out my skin, I have wrinkles 3 years later at 20. Thinned hair, rosacea, pale skin, rectal bleeding, still dry years later . I was a normal person before accutane. Now my life will never be the same. I honestly can not emphasize how life altering (for the absolute worst) this drug was. It is possibly the most sad thing in the world to thing how different my life would have been had i just not gone to a dermatologist. Derms should be the absolute lowest paid doctors. Unless theyre performing surgery they are ignorant, ignorant people with little skill.

IF YOU are reading this, just think for 2 seconds. Look at all the one stars you see. You dont see that with anything else. When you go to buy a tv if there were 30% 1 stars you would quickly look to another tv where there were only maybe 2 or 3. Just look at all the severe side effects that you could endure. Avoid it. Dont take this drug.

Destroyed my life
Reviewed on February 15, 2014

Took accutane for 6 months when I was 17, was relatively fine during treatment suffering only the usual sides. 2 months post treatment I noticed severe lower back pain, over the last 9 years this pain has spread to every joint and fibre in my body, I i also suffer chronic dry skin, eyes, lips and scalp. I've also suffered severe stomach pains and ibs symptoms, intense pressure headaches, sexual problems and countless bouts of inflammation all over my body. I literally did not have a single one of these problems before commencing accutane.

by LaurenD on 10/08/2014 02:55
What was your dosage?
Not worth the risk!
Reviewed on February 11, 2014

Taking accutane was a huge mistake for me. It gave me chapped lips and made my back super stiff. 6 years later my back problems are continuing to get worse to the point where I'm now basically disabled. For the first 4 years it was bearable, but last two years have been downright miserable. I've had a multitude of tests and imaging done and my doctors can't seem to find a cause for why my back keeps getting stiffer. I highly suspect accutane is responsible for the long term health problems I'm now enduring. The doc I'm seeing now agrees that it's a possibility. Before I took accutane I was pretty athletic, but these days all i can handle is a 15-30 min walk. I'm having extreme difficulty bending, sitting, twisting, my mobility has gone down the drain and my upper body/ torso/ spine feels super compressed. I took accutane when I was 20, I'm only 26 now but my body feels like it's 70, don't take this drug, the risks far outweigh the rewards.

by LaurenD on 10/08/2014 02:55
What was your dosage?
30 s were a miserable time. My skin is beautiful again.
Reviewed on February 2, 2014

I had mild acne in my teens and 20s. I usually suffered from one mildly annoying pimple every few weeks. In my 30s, after rounds of retinoids, antibiotics, oral and topical treatments my skin became a horror show. No derm would prescribe Accutane to me. I.e. I was married and of child- bearing age. Too risky. It wouldn't work for hormonal acne. What a crock! I finally found a derm that would. I love my doctor for listening to me and agreeing that indeed I had to live in my own skin.

The first 6 months were really bad. In the last two months 7 & 8 I saw improvement. The second round three months later for 3 months really did the trick. I was having surgery so I had to quit early on my second round. It slows healing and I had to go off 6 months before my surgery. Now it's been 3 months since my surgery and I just got my first real pimple. I'm not hesitating to go on a low dose straight off. I'm going to wait until my scars are completely healed from surgery then start again. I have two months left but it will take at least two months to get my first prescription because I am female. It's ridiculous. And it costs a lot of money as my insurance doesn't cover all of the pregnancy testing which costs like 90 a month.

The side effects suck. I had dry lips, headaches, and joint pain.

But I no longer dread leaving the house, going to work, or even to yoga. I was so mortified of my days. I am no longer ashamed. This drug saved me.

A "Cure" but with horrible side effects
Reviewed on January 31, 2014

Accutane can be considered a cure for some (at least for those who actually works for) but for those of us that have run courses of accutane and have not seen a cure you WILL be left with horrible side effects. I took accutane almost 3 years ago and still to this day have nasty side effects that came with this drug. Unless you have tried changing your diet, lifestyle and absolutley nothing works then I would give accutane a shot. Even still I'm not sure if the side effects of this drug weigh out the pros of having less acne.