Page 7 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2027 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Game Changer
Reviewed on July 25, 2015

After 7 years of struggling with acne I was fed up... Cleaned up my diet early on, added an extensive topical regimen, and took B5 mega-doses for the last 3 years. Despite all this giving me nearly 100% clear skin, I was very fragile. One slip-up with a meal, missed dose, or feeling too stressed out and I would break out... As an added bonus, my skin was constantly oily despite an impeccable regimen. I felt trapped with life because my acne controlled me. Couldn't work out too hard or try and gain mass, couldn't travel anywhere, couldn't be my true self all the time because I was constantly on edge, making sure I took all the steps 24/7 to ensure I wouldn't break out. I knew Accutane was the only solution for years, but I was afraid to take the plunge due to all the horror stories online plus I didn't think the derm would take me seriously. Anyways, I got lucky because the derm was very understanding and I ended up getting prescribed Absorbica, a newer form of Accutane that can be taken without high fat meals - although they still help. I've been on it for a little over 5 months and am finishing up the last of my pills before I embark on an international adventure. Only side effects I experienced were dry lips, skin, and eyes. The dry eyes were the worst because I already had chronic dry eye. However, all of these issues can be ameliorated by a good moisturizer, Aquaphor, and preservative-free eye drops. Accutane has seriously improved the quality of my life to a degree I never thought was possible. I really hope the results last once I stop the medication and my only regret is not taking it sooner! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND, especially if you were struggling like I wasā€¦

by nomorespotsplease on 07/25/2015 12:28
How is your acne looking now?? I'm currently on day 37 and starting to see improvementšŸ˜Š
by healthnut91 on 07/25/2015 21:10
Amazing! No breakouts whatsoever. I was super cautious upon starting and made sure I kept a super clean diet. I had no initial breakout and only a small pimple that formed in month 3 which I attribute to missing 2 consecutive doses, not eating that great, and a sudden temperature change where I live. I was scared when the pimple started forming but it had pretty much healed fully within a week which was a total change from what I was used to...
Ruined my life
Reviewed on July 21, 2015

Im 15 and I use to have very little acne like maybe 3 pimples at once. Then my mom asked my dermatologist about accutane because it worked so well for her and my sister. The dermatologist recommend accutane. After 3 weeks of taking the accutane I got cysts all over my forehead and on my cheeks. For about 6-7 weeks my life was awful. My face kept getting worse and worse the acne never stopped. I decided to stop accutane on week 7. After I stopped my acne got a little better but no where back to where it was before. Now every 2 weeks I have to go to a dermatologist to get injections. It's been a month since I stopped accutane and my face is now still 3 times worse than it was before. I don't know if my face will ever turn back to normal. I feel like I'm still on accutane. I would say never take accutane unless you have no other choice. Thanks accutane for ruining my face my happiness and my self esteem.

by Wssls on 08/12/2015 10:48
Hi there, I am a 15-year old dutch girl and I am on accutane since 5 days. Please listen to what I'm saying here. I read your story and made an account to comment. After 7 weeks, your initial breakout could still be going on. You probably had a lot of clogged pores and that has got to ge out of your skin. It could be months before you notice your skin getting better. I know that it's your choice but I really think you should go back on accutane because it sounds as if you are suffering very badly because of your acne. I know what that feels like. You wrote: I would say never take accutane unless you have no other choice. Well, it sounds like YOU have no other choice. I would give accutane another chance, if I were you. You should talk with your dermatologist about it though. Good luck and hang in there!
by h0lland on 04/09/2016 00:38
hi, I'm 15 and i just wanted to say that it sounds like before you took actuate, you didn't even have acne. you said you just had like three pimples. that sounds pretty normal for a 15 year old, hormonal girl. i don't think you should have gone on it in the first place if you didnt have bad skin, it is only for people with severe acne. but now it seems like you should go back on it and wait it out. i think in the long run you'd be happy with the results. just don't pick at your pimples while you're on actuate because your skin is more prone to scarring while you're on the drug. I hope everything gets better. i know what it feels like. I've had acne for about 2 or 3 years (since about 7th grade), just a few pimples here and there, nothing bad, and no scarring. but it got pretty severe at the beginning of this year (beginning of 9th grade). i started to pick at my pimples and there were scabs all over my face, it was horrible, i cried all of the time and stopped going out with my friends (that all have perfect skin). I count even look at myself in the mirror. i tried proactive and it helped a lot but not enough. so now I'm on doxycycline and tertinoin. if that doesn't work, accutane here i come. my scars are red marks and hopefully they'll fade soon. I'm on tretinoin for the red marks and doxycycline for the acne. again, I hope everything gets better. acne sucks and i wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy. i wish you the best and keep me updated. id love to help you through this process!
It didn't wok for me but
Reviewed on July 15, 2015

Been on accutane twice and both times yielded mixed results. Each time has cleared me up for a certain amount of time but my acne has always came back. But it never comes back as bad. I've went from severe cysts down to lots of clogged pores. So it's good BUT it does not cure every one always, Please think about that before putting your body through this strong medication. Personally, I didn't find the side effects too deliberating but they are definitely not something to brush off. Dry flaky skin which is easily combated with a good lotion. Dry, cracked lips which I kept under control with Fucidin H and nose bleeds which were rather annoying. The only side effect which seems to have permanently affected me is the joint pain and weakness. All in - for a lot people it's a long time cure, but please educate yourself and don't rush into it.

Thx God for Accutane
Reviewed on July 12, 2015

I started breaking out when I was 12 I am now 49. By late teens my face looked like Mt. Rushmore. I tried all the antibiotics that was out there and nothing worked then my dr prescribed Accutane and my back, arms and face cleared up and my pores was reduced. For 37 yrs my face has been cystic acne free. I don't wear makeup to cover up those nasty ugly nodules like I use to I just let my beautiful skin speak!! I thx my dr for allowing me to go through whatever I had to to have a lifelong cure. The side affects sounds horrific I know but if u follow directions and do what your dr tells u u will be very very happy FOREVER!!!!!

Cruisin after week 6
Reviewed on July 11, 2015

I'm a 20 yr old dude. Always had both oily and acne prone skin. Month 1 was brutal with a bad IB lasting a few days. Now have oiless moisturized skin in week 6 already. No other product can compare to accutane (I used epiduo for several years). Worrying about my skin is completely obsolete now. Safe and effective when taken with a fatty meal, although I do binge drink occasionally on it (hangovers possibly a little worse). Take this with a large fatty meal and your dose will be more absorbed with faster results (almonds, avacado, eggs). A lot of things are bad for you such as accutane but atleast this one counts for something.

Cheers

Stick with it!!
Reviewed on June 13, 2015

Until aged 19 I never had any problems with my skin. However when I started university I started to break out slowly and within a year had a full face of cystic acne. I tried many different treatments (none of which made any difference) and finally my doctor referred me to start isotretinoin. For the first four months I felt like there was no change however after that, my skin seemed to clear up extremely quickly (almost in a matter of weeks). I found it easy to copy with the dryness with intense facial moisturising in the night and the morning every day from the beginning of the treatment. I also kept lip balm on me at all times and applied regularly. Of course I still suffered from slightly dry skin and lips but it was easy to cope with and SO WORTH IT. Towards the last month or so of treatment I also found I had a stiff back and hips but again, it was easy to cope with and so worth it. I would highly recommend this treatment to anyone suffering. My self confidence was knocked for so long and I am finally (after about three years) able to leave the house without make up on. I suffered no depression of any sort but instead continued to feel better and better throughout the treatment as my skin improved. Stick with it, it is not a miracle drug and needs time to work!

Only a bandaid fix
Reviewed on June 12, 2015

So if you're a female and you suffer from hormonal acne like me, nothing will ever 'cure' your acne. The best you can do is manage it. Accutane works by drying up the oil glands and shedding the skin cells quicker. But, it isn't the be all to end all for a lot of people. For many it has been shown to cure their acne, but it depends what kind of acne you have. If you suffer from adult hormonal acne chances are this won't work for you. The best option is to go on Diane 35, and even that has side effects. Plus, Accutane is really bad for your health so unless you have tried everything else, including birth control, then try it. I've been on it 3 times. The only thing that has ever kept my acne at bay is Diane 35 and Proactiv, used together. But that's me just managing my acne, not trying to cure it. Remember, there is no cure, as you can't cure your hormones.

accutane nice but not so nice :D
Reviewed on June 11, 2015

1 whole year of 2 pills per day recommanded micro dose that my doctors gave me to prevent side effect and 2 months after finishing everything went back to how it used to be first 1 pimple then 4-10 cysts and all that good stuff so for me it was not worth it i lost a year of my life putting my body in danger liver all organs all thoose nasty side effects for nothing...a doctor told me this has 85% rate of success of getting rid of acne for life i guess i was one of the 15% :( hope it works for others maybe with full dosage

I don't know how other people are able to take it for so long
Reviewed on June 9, 2015

Roaccutane is one of the worst medication I've ever been on. Within half an hour after taking the first 20mg Isotretinoin, I became extremely irritable and had uncontrollable anger and snapped at my mom for no reason. On the second day, I started getting severely depressed and cried in middle of the day for no reason. I also became extremely fatigued and I could only run for 20 minutes on the treadmill when I normally run for 50 minutes. I also started having memory problems and I couldn't even remember the 4 digit number that I always use at work. I felt not right being on Roaccutane and I felt like I was dying inside. Because of these side effects, I eventually quit on Day 5 and I didn't quit because of the horror stories I've read online, I quit since I couldn't handle the side effects any longer. On the contrary, I'm currently on SSRIs after the depression caused by Roaccutane. And there are just as many horror stories from SSRIs but I'm still taking it because the side effects are nowhere near as horrible as Roaccutane.

by n1990c on 08/20/2015 22:44
There is no way you could have felt any effects within half an hour, or even the first couple of days. Definitely no way you could have developed depression from 5 days of 20mg pills. Sounds like a combination of hypochondria and some other personal issues that needed addressing before treatment. Good luck
Accutane is a miracle!!!
Reviewed on June 5, 2015

I am a 25 year old female who has suffered from acne since I was 15. Before I turned 20, my acne was quite mild, and I could easily treat it with benzoyl peroxide. However, after I turned 20, I started to develop those deep, painful, inflammatory cysts that would take weeks to go away. Benzoyl peroxide didn't seem to work so effectively as before, and I have tried all kinds of OTC acne treatments, antibiotics, even herbal tea... The sad thing is, none of these seem to improve my acne. For the past five years, my self-esteem was down to the lowest point. I wouldn't go anywhere without my makeup on, even just for grocery shopping. I would spend more than an hour to work on my makeup just to cover those f***ing pimples. I turned down my friends' invitations for trips or any kinds of outdoor activities, because I was afraid that the strong sunlight would expose the horrible bumps on my face, and then they just gonna keep asking what the hell was going on on my face (Maybe they are just cared about me, but when you are already worried about your acne even in your dream, you just want them to stop asking, and pretend that there is nothing wrong with your face)...

Anyway, I was finally recommended to a dermatologist by a friend who has suffered from severe acne for 10 years. I know accutane is the solution after I saw the dramatic improvement on my friend's face. It's like she was born with such great skin. You could never link that to a face which is covered with pimples, scars, and large pores.

So back to my story. In the 1st month, my face broke out like hell. I remember I was on this blog all the time reading reviews about accutane, and lots of people did experience an initial breakout from this medicine. I guess things have to get worse before they get better right? But the breakout was so so so horrible that I didn't even want my own parents to see my face. I basically just stayed in my room as much as I could. (Because my acne was caused by deeply clogged pores, so I was told not to wear any makeup while I was on accutane, I will talk about this in a bit.)

In the 2nd month, the breakout finally stopped, the number of pimples on my face decreased from 30+ to around 15. In the 3rd and 4th month, the number of pimples kept decreasing dramatically on my face, and my face was much smoother and softer than before. Now I just started my 5th month treatment. But basically, I only have a couple of tiny little pimples on my face, and the scars have faded a lot as well. I might need to keep on taking this drug for another 2 months or so, just to make sure those clogged pores are entirely cleared out.

As for side effects, mine were just dry lips, dry hair, and occasional joint/muscle pain, but they didn't bother me that much. But your skin will be super sensitive when you're on this drug, so it's very important for you to avoid sunburn or any strong topical treatment, otherwise you may end up with a red, itchy and swollen face.

As I have mentioned, my cystic acne was developed from deeply clogged pores. From my derm's opinion, these clogged pores can be the result of my excessive use of makeup. I kinda agree with him, 'cause the cysts started almost a few months after I started applying full makeup. I used lots of different makeup brands for the past five years, from high end brands like Dior, Estee Lauder, Giorgio Armani to drugstore brands like L'oreal and Clinique. I also tried lots of skincare products that claimed they would improve my skin texture, brighten my acne marks, etc. ... But I didn't see any major improvement on my skin after so many attempts, or at least, the result was only temporary. With more pimples that I got, I tended to apply more foundation to my face, and I ended up with more clogged pores. Then these nasty clogged pores would turn to cysts, and I used more makeup to cover...The whole process just repeated over and over...

So for the past few months, I took my derm's advice and completely stayed away from makeup, changed my entire skincare regime, and also stayed away from unhealthy food. Although my face is not flawless at this moment, but it has improved so much compared to what it used to be. And I can feel quite normal and confident when I walk on the streets now, because I don't have to worry whether people may stare at my face and wonder what the hell is wrong with this woman...

by ellisgs on 07/27/2015 22:51
This was a very good review. My 19 yrs old granddaughter has suffered with severe acne for 7 years. She is now beginning her 3rd month on acutane so we are looking forward to seeing some great results. The other day an older man asked her if she would mind if he asked her a personal question and she said sure. He then asked her what happened to her face. She explained and he wished her well. She handled it with such grace as she is such a great person. Can't wait for her face to become as beautiful as she is from the inside out.