Page 6 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 1914 reviews

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Fantastic results!
Reviewed on May 7, 2014

I am in my mid-20's and suffered with acne since mid-teens. I had tried doxy, minocycline and before that, different types of contraceptive pill and whilst it did slightly improve it, I still had acne. After finally having enough, I bit the bullet and started with Accutane. I started 2 weeks 10mg, then 20mg, then 30mg and then a month and half on 40mg. My cholestorol did increase whilst taking 40mg and my Dr was concerned with the rate of the increase so I am not back down to 30mg. Dr was not concerned with the levels, just the rate of increase.

Side effects: Usual dry lips, eyes and skin but all only moderate and easily managed. Hair is less greasy so no need to wash everyday - yeay!

Cons: I am in month 5 and I am completely clear of acne but do have slight red tinge to my cheeks and nose. I have read this will go after the course. I have also experienced tiny beads of sweat on nose, upper lip and eyebrows. It's not a listed side effect so not 100% it's related but thought I would mention it.

Overall, I have had a positive experience and I'm glad I took the plunge and started treatment.

Worst decision I've ever made
Reviewed on April 25, 2014

Accutane was the worst decision I have ever made. I completed the full treatment and everything seemed fine. My skin was clear for the first time in 10 years. A few months into treatment I noticed some darker, longer hairs on my chin and around my navel. I didn't think anything of it because I had dealt with the occasional stray hair before and it was not one of the side effects I was ever asked or warned about. I had really only heard of accutane causing alopecia. If I had made the connection between accutane and the hair growth at the time, I would have stopped taking the drug immediately. About two months after completing treatment my acne began to return along with excess hair all over my body. Literally all of my body hair began to become longer and thicker. Back, chest, stomach, legs, arms, chin, eyebrows, pubic, even around my temples. Just everywhere. I have now been off accutane for five months and not only is my acne as bad as it was before, but now I also have to deal with hirsutism. As a 21 year old woman in a society obsessed with hairlessness, this is the last thing that I want to have to worry about. I have never hated my skin more than I do right now. Along with those side effects, I also have a few wrinkles on my forehead that I'm guessing were caused from lack of oil and it destroyed the the hair on my head. I used to have shiny, healthy hair that has been reduced to a frizzy, dry mess. I wish I could go back before I ever took accutane. If you are a woman and even somewhat struggle with body hair, please do not take accutane. It will ruin your self-esteem like it ruined mine.

Great so far, three weeks in
Reviewed on April 18, 2014

I dont mind feeling the effects of accutane (the dryness) as atleast I can tell its actually doing something...Unlike doxycyline you dont really know if its working and may waste 2 months waiting around like I did for it to do nothing.

Three weeks in to accutane and I WOULD be clear by now but I picked some tiny little bumps on my skin and the top layer broke leaving me 3 or 4 scabs :( I cant blame accutane, only myself for that. So this drug works fast on my mild but persistent acne. I feel much better using this medication knowing it has such a high success rate!

Dangerous drug
Reviewed on April 18, 2014

I had a bad experience with this drug. 4-5 months after I quit yasmin BP my face acne got worse and I got a sudden awful backne which I never had before in my life. My derm suggested accutane and I had to quit 2.5 into it because of the severe hair loss. I was taking only 20mg daily and started experiencing hair loss after only 2 weeks on it. My derm kept reassuring me it was temporary and it was going to stop eventually but I didn't want to go bald until the end of my treatment. Do you imagine 4 more months of shedding? No, thanks. It's just not worth it from the millions of side effects you can get, some of them far more serious than hair loss. Every day on it was truly a torture, hope the hair shedding stops soon. I'm sure the acne will come back soon since I have PCOS and the problem is hormonal..so girls, it's not worth it if your problem is hormonal,sooner or later it will come back if your hormones are not regulated.

Life saver
Reviewed on April 18, 2014

Wow ... Lemme tell you my story.

I struggled with cystic acne throughout my 20's. At first it was a zit or two and gradually it would be like 4-5 at a time. Always large and painful. I would squeeze them and so much fluid would come out and of course scarring.

I tried so many different products without prevail. Sure short term they would seem to work but my acne always returned .

At the age of 30, I realized I felt depressed and sometimes wished I wasn't alive to experience the humiliation and trauma of the acne ruining my face.

I spoke to the doctor who told me sometimes accutane works and sometimes it doesn't but I was forewarned about all the scary sounding effects.

Yes you will have dry lips... Yes you back will feel stiffer and it's hard to exercise not sure why. Yes your hair doesn't get as greasy some would even say it is dry during the course of treatment.

I did it for 5 months. The first 3 months it was rough. The first 2.5 months my skin was in the worst condition ever . By 4.5 months, it was a reddened face but no more acne.

Month 7 post accutane, I'm thankful and feel blessed that i haven't had any acne since stopping the medicine.

My heart goes out to anyone who is struggling with this disease as I know how sad it is to wake up and feeling anxiety to look in the mirror.

I would highly recommend accutane. I used generic ISO-something . 20 mg twice daily.

im on day 8
Reviewed on April 1, 2014

, my side effects get are peeling lips, dont have dry skin yet, achy bones, extremely annoying lower back pain, swollen left neck lymph node and my arm hair is growing crazy super fast. my results get, umm the amout of white heads i used to get increased super fast, got like 20 new ones, so i really really hope i dont get an initial breakout at day 12, i mean what i got, i think that thats an intial breakout aswell. also i can feel a slight swelling at my lower spine. anyways i keep on examining my body for chenges, oh and yeah im getting constipation, yet all these scary side effects do not compete with my scarring white head and the occasion cystic zit acne. as for the body hair, my mom says can get it lasered but i really dont want that, ill talk to my derm abt it when i visit him ant the ned of this month, im a girl btw. i really hope everything goes well, IA

ugh i really hopemy back gets better soon

A miracle worker.
Reviewed on April 1, 2014

Hi! I am a 17 year old male and was "diagnosed" with cystic acne about 7 months ago. I went to the dermatologist about 1 month after my face lightly started breaking out, because it wasn't going away (it wasn't cystic yet) and we talked about options and accutane came up in the conversations but i immediately shot it down because i heard so many horror stories about its side effects and how they come mess you up, in more than one way. So we decided on antibiotics and basically went through the whole list and finally exhausted our options so we talked about accutane again, and finally decided to go with it.

So thats my story , and now heres the review. This product is like magic. Month 1: not much happened in fact, i got more acne during this time (although no where as big). Face started to dry out and peel and flaky, along with the lips. Month 2: this is when the progress started and really helped my face. My acne decreased about 50% and started to show the pigmentation under the acne.

Month 3: wow. So much went on, this is the month it all got cleared up, although i got about 3 very small and minor zits. The dryness was ridiculous, but finally started using a lotion (cetaphil lotion) and it helped a lot!

Month 4: (current treatment month) 1 zit and my face is looking amazing! All pigmentation now and even that had healed because I'm not breaking out anymore.

Overall: Wow, just wow.

update
Reviewed on August 7, 2013

It worked amazingly, no depression for me, the side effects like dry skin/lips/nose were no fun, quite a burden. The results were incredible though.

old review below

So far it is going OK. A couple of weeks in now. I have already experienced dry skin and lips. At points, I have already peeled off dead skin (lips) and I recommend using Vaseline for them. Because if you suffer with occasional cold sores; Carmex can spread it if it appears. (this happened to me.) I can already see an improvement, I have not yet experienced joint pain. It's not too bad for the pros you get. It's working wonders for now. Will post later on to keep you updated. I am 14 so I didn't pay anything for isotretinoin.

Wow is all can say!
Reviewed on March 25, 2014

A little history on me I am 33 yrs old and I have suffered with acne since I was 17. I have tried EVerything!!!! Well I told my self that I was not going another year with acne I was fed up! I had the acne that would stay under the skin and leave red marks and would take a while to go away( cystic). I new this was always available and heard good things as well as bad so I put this treatment off due to the horror stories. I was just tired of looking in the mirror EVeryday and seeing my face like this plus bring 33 years old i was fed up! So after much research on this medication I finally went to my dermatologist and asked to be put on this medication. ( he had mentioned it before but i was hesitant)I love it after 30 days my skin had already cleared up 98 percent!!!! Taking 40mg. Twice a day I am on Month 2 and still looking good NO Acne! Only thing I can say is I wish I would have done this WAY sooner it would have boosted my confidence a lot when I was younger. The only think "bad" I can say is you WILL have dry lips. I must have went thru all the stores Chapsticks and aquaphor trying to find something to work my lips we real bad bleeding at times on the corners. My pharmacist after my 1st 30 day refill saw my lips and recommended DR Dans CORTIBALM this Is a miracle lipbalm. Within 2 days my lips we're normal looking no redness still dry but this maintained them looking and feeling better. I Highly recommend this product I can't stress this enough! Also the normal dry skin and two small rashes on my hands but my derm gave me some cream and it seems to help. -

As well as constipation I have been taking Miralax and this is another great product. I did some research on this and the medicine can cause this plus my pharmacist did say at the beginning that the medicine can will cause this, Well I hope this review will help some of you and give you some hope that you can have clear skin and a new outlook on life! I do!!!

Literally A Miracle
Reviewed on March 22, 2014

I've had moderate persistent acne since I've been 13 (now 16). It was the center of my life-- I would spend all day looking in mirrors, my mood swayed because of how my skin looked and I became obsessed with makeup as a way to cover it up. After trying to treat it with your usual SA and benzol peroxide, along with a slew of natural treatments such as mushroom extracts, calendula, garlic extract you name it (try apple cider vinegar as a toner though it worked for a few months for me), I was prescribed retinoids which did nothing but make me peely and I still broke out albeit a little less. I was on antibiotics for months which did help clear me up but as soon as I stopped I was right back to where I was before, or worse. I had a lot of anxiety about my skin and I felt it was the only thing people saw. I begged for accutane for months and my doctor really felt it was a last resort thing so it took a while to get a prescription. I'm on my 3rd month of a 5 month prescription. I started on 40 mg and now I am on 50 mgs and my life has CHANGED. My skin is softer, much clearer, and scarring is healing up. I do occasionally get a little spot or so, not enough to be called a pimple, but its very concentrated in one area and easy to treat. These little blemishes become much more responsive to over the counter medications. My skin is also so much less oily-- it's a miracle. I didn't have an initial break out, but probably because I made a point to be aggressive with old retinoids I had laying around so I got everything out of my skin before I started taking pills. I also have found that my skin is tough enough that I can use acidic products at night to get rid of scarring and it's been fine. I LOVE Cerave PM (I use it day and night) with a slightly acidic cream cleanser (Brilliant Cleanse you can find at bluemercury) every morning and night with Kiehl's in-flight skin spray as a purifying toner. Yes, the skin on your body will be SO dry. I have itchy eczema on my upper arms and back and I used to get nosebleeds at night. Yes, my back does hurt from the joint pains. Yes, your lips will be so dry they bleed sometimes. Yes, the blood tests can be annoying but at least you don't have to worry about your vitals being irregular and you know that you aren't suffering dangerous side effects. At the end of the day, you have clear radiant skin and that's what matters. I am so glad I did this and all my friends say I have made a great transition to clear skin. GOOD LUCK!!! Try to get your derm to prescribe it to you because most people will want to do it eventually just so they can stop being bothered by acne.