Page 6 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 1988 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Where to buy is not associated with this product. All proceeds from links go to charity.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Accutane palying tricsk on me...
Reviewed on March 6, 2015

Since I was 14 I had a few occasional very mild breakouts on my cheeks but as I started to get older my acne got a little worse I remember when I was around my 8th grade the acne got a little severe but they were all white heads and by severe I mean 3- 5 white heads. Then again it got less severe and I had 2-3 white heads every few days max. Suddenly when I turned 18 my acne got a lot worse suddenly there were around 8 -10 white heads which slowly turned into pustules and more of these started pop out specially on my cheeks or cheek bone area. My first dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline. It didn't make it any better but after 2 months on this, my acne was worst than ever. I changed my dermatologist went to another one and asked him to put me on isotretinoin he did that without further question but only on 20mg maybe because my acne was not severe it was moderate and I was affected with acne on only around both of my cheeks region that time I had around 15 acne. I was prescribed on Sotret 20mg per day. It has been now 33 days, my experience... to be honest its the same no improvements or deterioration. During the end of the first month towards maybe between day 23-28 I had a initial breakout which were like some white heads would pop up where there were previous acne and I would pop them it would go and then slowly form a hyperpigmentated bump. One thing I noticed that my face almost had no oil towards the end of the first month but after day 29 oil would start to come back again specially on my nose. Really want to know is this a normal , expected experience or not ???? I really hope this accutane does the trick for me because I just had it with acne!!!!

Accutane for the win
Reviewed on February 28, 2015

If you're reading this, you're probably on the fence on whether or not to start this crazy over talked about prescription drug called Accutane. I'll start off with saying that I am 19 years old and have been suffering with acne since I was about 12 years old. For the past seven years of my life, my face and my acne have been my biggest weakness. I was very much in the spotlight during high school and middle school being a cheerleader and an athlete, so having hundreds of people constantly looking at me and my acne was a total self esteem killer. I had tried every single thing you can think of. Topical treatments, proactive, x out, skin id, Neutrogena, clean and clear, BC, you name it and I've tried it. Just recently my family doctor finally recommended I see a dermatologist because nothing else was working. My first appointment with my derm, she recommended putting me on Accutane. Let me start off by saying that I was terrified out of my mind to even consider it and all of the side effects seemed too risky. I did intensive research and came to the conclusion that in order for my acne to ever go away extreme measures would have to be taken. I started my Accutane journey four months ago and from this point in time I can not be any happier with the decision I made four months ago.

Month one. It absolutely horrifying and probably the worst my acne had EVER been in my entire seven years battling with acne. To begin I had about 50 pimples on my face and within that first month I could easily say the acne had doubled. My face was in major pain. Sleeping, washing my face, applying makeup, you name it and it physically hurt me. I cried myself to sleep a few couple of times in this period. To be honest I almost considered getting off the medication because of how bad my initial breakout was. My derm had told me I would get an initial breakout but I never expected it to be so vicious. The side effects... wow... my face was peeling and flaking. Within ten minutes of applying my makeup, I was ALREADY flaking. My face was constantly itchy and itching it only hurt more. My lips were the driest they had ever been, applying lip balm every 10-15 minutes was a must if I didn't want ripped or bloody lips. My scalp was peeling to the point were I had literal chunks in my hair even after showering. My nose was also cracking and every time I blew my nose I had a bloody surprise. Despite the horrible first month, before I knew it I was on to month number two.

Month two. Little by little the amount of acne was starting to decrease. Keep in mind I still had a good 40 on my face. My face was still in physical pain, but in comparison to month one it was nothing. The flakiness and dryness of my skin was much less severe as were all of the other side effects. Immediately after the first month I had changed up my entire skin care routine and that truly did wonders for my side effects. As each day passed, the more and more improvements I would see in my skin.

Month three. By now my face had significantly cleared up. I could actually feel soft patches of my skin. I knew that my acne was still severe, but in comparison to month one, this was heaven. All of my side effects were so mild. Sure I had to make sure I was constantly moisturizing, applying lip balm, body lotion, and conditioning my scalp, but my side effects no longer bothered me. I was getting closer to my goal and I could see the drastic improvements from the time that I had started.

Month four. Here I am now, month four with only one MAYBE two months of treatment left. (Two for precautionary measures to make sure a second round of Accutane is not needed.) I know my face is not completely clear. I have maybe 10 pimples on my face now and that's mainly due to my menstrual cycle hormones. But if you look at my face now and compare it to four months ago there is major improvement. Sure my acne has left red scars on my face but when I apply makeup my face ALMOST looks flawless. Side effects? They're hardly noticeable now. I still constantly moisturize but mainly because it has become a force of habit now. I can go hours without reapplying lip balm or lotion now. I don't need to moisturize every 15 minutes like before. Dry bloody nose? I haven't had one in about 2 months. Overall I am very happy where Accutane has brought me in four months and I cannot wait to see where it will take me.

Before I started Accutane I had started to go through a depressed patch. I no longer wanted to go out, see friends, or anything besides lay in bed and watch Netflix. I felt like all eyes were on me every time we went our anywhere. People ALWAYS asked questions about my face and I could no longer take it. I knew I had bad severe acne and didn't want constant reminders of it by getting judgmental glances and questions. Slowly my confidence and self esteem has gone up. Accutane has slowly brought me back to the person I used to be. Fun, full of life, and a good time. Honestly without Accutane I don't know where I would be right now. If you're reading this and you're on the fence about whether or not to start, I really hope this speaks to you either positively or negatively. I hope that this post can really help you decide whether or not you think this course of action is right for you. I know one of the main things that really encouraged me and finally pushed me to agree to start this journey was seeing all of the positive results from people. I figured that it's helped more people than it hasn't helped. I figured I would give it a try and if it didn't work at least I knew that it didn't work. If I didn't try Accutane out, I wouldn't be stuck with the "what if" taunting me for the rest of my life. I am over the moon with how far I've come since my first month of Accutane. This journey has definitely been a learning experience for me and if I had to relive that horrible first month on this medication again to achieve the skin I have now, I would do it in a heartbeat. Also I am in no way encouraging or discouraging anyone from using this product, I am simply stating my experience with it and hoping that my experience will help someone choose their own.

Works for a while
Reviewed on February 26, 2015

I had Accutane about one year ago. The side effects were terrible. My skin was extremely dry, flaky, and break out all the time. The first 3 months, my skin looked like a mess. It was my nightmare. Until the 4th and 5th month, no more acne. My skin felt so great. No break out ! Great !. And the scar disappeared. However, it only lasted for 4 months after I stopped Accutane. Now, my acne comes back like one year ago. So I didn't impress much with the product. With all of the side effects and potential danger that it would cost, I will never try it again. Just not worth it. Two of my best friends were on Accutane too and they both experienced the same thing as me.

I am kinda tired of trying new things on my face. All I do now is being super gentle on my skin, try a simple skincare routine. I just ordered and hopefully it would work for me. Acne sucks but you gotta love your FACE. it's your. If you don't love it, no one does.

by rainbow7 on 04/13/2015 01:31
How ks the regimen so far?
Reviewed on February 23, 2015

So this is my second time on accutane. I'm a 16(17 in a month) year old female who suffers from mild acne but enough to feel insecure and need accutane. The first time I went on it I was about 13 years old, and had a horrible experience with side effects. I was depressed, I gained weight, had the GROSSEST lips and refused to leave my house unless it was for school but it cleared my skin up like a charm. I had radiant skin but still scarring from before. My doctor had said my mood swings had been so bad due to me going through puberty at that time. I am 3.5 months into accutane this time around and I'm still finding myself breaking out. My side effects this time are different: chapped and dry lips and skin, a sore back, hair loss(not too much), BURNING skin which is very uncomfortable.. I feel like this might be my last time taking this product. I feel like I need a detox. Hopefully my burning skin and acne clear up along with my scarring but for now, i'd say a no to taking this product. It's changed my life for the worse :( but everyone is different!

by accutaneRUINS on 02/23/2015 01:07
On top of this i have IBS. Finishing my course in 1.5 months and converting to natural and holistic stuff.
I had painful severe Cystic acne I took accutane for 8 months PRESCRIPTION STRENGTH
Reviewed on February 19, 2015

ABSOLUTELY NO! You should never put something with the potential lethality of this drug. Things like this shouldn't be allowed in my opinion. Proper skin care and taking action to control hormones and stress levels should be a NUMBER 1 priority. You can do this naturally. I had to get my blood drawn every month for 8 months while on this drug. MY ACNE STILL CAME BACK!! but i found a better solution.

I switched over to natural treatments. I no longer deal with these problems ( bows down to nature )

I made a video on treating acne and properly preventing acne

www. youtube /watch?v=JHzIknvKpgo

by deezycain 2015 on 03/05/2015 23:03
What type of other options are there?
by lenz87 on 04/26/2015 18:59
Correction: Accutane is not inherintly a "lethal" drug. But I guess you could also call water lethal, since you could die from ingesting too much.
i need help
Reviewed on February 16, 2015

Hi my name is Oliver

I really need help im 16 yrs old Ive been on accutane for 3 months now and ive seen no improvement.. Yes i touch my face but only recently like few days ago recently because Ive been very patient and I want these pimples on my face to go away [:(] .. This really sucks because honestly I used to be a good looking kid and now with accutane im so ugly. I have no confidence anymore. My initial breakout was horrible and honestly I think im still in it with the exception of like 4 pimple difference.. I have cysts, whites heads, papules, and my face is disclored and red and purple in some spots. I just want to know when it will be over or if i should just stop and use proactive + because it worked for me before but it was just too much commitment so I switched to accutane so I wouldnt have to worry about acne forever. I knew initial breakout and i got it on the 12th day of accutane, I knew it was coming and I expected it to last 1 month or so. I dont know why this is happening to me, yes I am a little awkward and quiet but I swear im nice. im going to keep praying and try to be patient hopefully there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel. ima just give this product a 5 star because i believe it will work lol

by rayrayc31 on 02/17/2015 23:10
Dont worry sweetie it will get better. Please tell your parents and doctor how you are feeling. You shouldnt have to suffer. No matter what happens with the Accutane you will find something that works for you and they are always coming out with new treatments so there is alot of hope. Also know that so many people suffer from acne you are not alone and it will get better.
by kenstrallia on 02/22/2015 06:48
Do not give up! I finished accutane about four months ago and I currently don't have a single pimple on my face. I had really severe acne and my acne stayed really bad all the way until month 4. But in the last month of accutane it finally started to go away. You might have a couple small pimples when you finish accutane but those will go away. Please don't give up and don't go back to proactiv. Stay strong!
by accutaneRUINS on 02/23/2015 01:05
Don't give up! I have the same problem. I am three months into accutane and finding my breakouts pretty bad and my skin is burning! This is my second time on accutane and the first time it worked like a charm! It takes patience!! Good luck
by SC30 on 02/24/2015 06:17
Stick with it Oliver! I finished accutane 2 months ago and it took quite a while for it to really clear my acne but now it's gone. Acne is SO upsetting and really kills your confidence but it will be okay! i don't know what you use now but when I was on it I would use cetaphil gentle cleanser 2-3 times a day with cetaphil or cerave face lotion afterwards. Also, I always try use a clean towel when I dry my face, change my pillow case often and don't touch my face unless I'm washing/lotioning. I cut out dairy and it helped me too, so it could be worth a try. It's gonna be okay and just because you have acne it doesn't mean you aren't good looking! :)
by Jamiii on 03/09/2015 02:13
if your doctor offers acne extractions (pretty much an aesthetician popping your pimples) do it! my insurance covered it and i would get a 10% chemical peel with it... the swelling would go down in about 2-3 days and i would have like 20-30 pimples extracted before my face would swell up and then i would come back again... some doctors dont do this... idk why because it helps i have no perm scaring and i was able to fight the IB off fast. the accutane is pushing everything up --they are just getting it all out. if you're interested but your doctors office doesn't do it salons with aestheticians will do it but it mights be about $80ish good luck --you'll be extremely comfortable and confident soon! Jami
Reviewed on February 15, 2015

After suffering with persistent acne for 7 years I finally got referred to a dermatologist. My first appointment was in oct 2014 and I got prescribed doxycycline. Not sure why as I have been on this before! He was very against me going on roaccutane as I have suffered with depression in the past. Had my review 2 week ago and this time was a different dermatologist as the previous one had left (thank god!). She straight away recommended roaccutane. Had my blood test done 20 mins later and picked up my prescription the next day. I have never felt so relieved to pick up medication!!! The thought of knowing I was on it was a weight off my shoulder instead of having to beg for it which I had to first time around with the previous dermatologist. I'm now going in to my second week of 20mg and my skin is so dry already and my lips too but my skin has cleared up dramatically already :) I had to go to boots today to buy cetaphil and wow that stuff is brill! Didn't sting or burn like most moisturisers do to my sensitive skin. I am also using burts bees lip balm as carmex wasn't working for me (felt very grainy on my lips). If any of you people are suffering then please ask for roaccutane. And also not all dermatologists are sympathetic :/ I'm just so glad that the second one I seen was female and empathetic as she sympathised with me and knew that I needed this treatment so don't be put off with only one dermatologists opinion!! (You can ask to see a different person). I'm using less make up as previously I would cake it on and even then you would still see the lumps! My foundation is very expensive (Estée Lauder double wear - which is brill for coverage by the way) and with me using less is a pricey bonus :) I'll keep you updated but if you have any questions then I'm here. I know how horrible it is to suffer with acne - physically emotionally and socially!! Hope this helped x

for severe acne- this is the cure!
Reviewed on February 9, 2015

i had severe acne when i was in high school- it was awful- i tried everything- until my dermatologist and i agreed that it was time to try accutane. I have to say this should be the end all be all for acne sufferers. the months that were ahead of me were tough- fortunately i had a great support team including my mother and my dermatologist- the peeling, the dry lips- it was all worth it in the end- my skin looked and felt amazing- it is a rough road but much worth it! i have not had horrible severe acne (going on 9 years since my last treatment)- please make sure that you go over everything with your doctor- prepare for what is ahead, and keep going, there is a lot of support out there for this and i highly recommend you go over this clearly with your doctor

Best decision ever
Reviewed on February 5, 2015

I'm a 17 year old girl and I had constant issues with my skin before accutane. I would get the occasional cystic zit and besides those I just had constant break outs where I would get 5-10 new zits a week. I had tried just about EVERY medication on the market from topical to oral. They all seemed to lessen the breakouts for a few months until my body got used to them and the acne returned. My daily routine consisted of caking on makeup to cover my acne, only making it worse. At night it took me about an hour to get ready for bed because of my lengthy skin care routine. These topical gels just caused my face to become very oily on top of the oily skin I already had. And I mean oily. My face looked like I just jumped out of the shower. I finally got to the pont where my dermatologist recommended me for accutane and let me tell you that was the best decision I've made in my entire life. I went on accutane and after about 3 months I started seeing a lessening in the breakouts as well as a complete loss of my oily skin. I was on accutane for about 7 months and at the end of my accutane journey I had not gotten a zit in about 3 months(a miracle for me). I have now been off accutane for about 5 months and my skin still looks impeccable. In fact, it's still getting better. Now, if I get a zit it goes away within 3 days and does not leave a mark. I now simply use lotion for skin care with the occasional retin-A on a small zit and that is it. It now takes me 10 minutes to do my makeup where it used to take me 30. I Know this sounds cheesy but its such an amazing feeling to look in the mirror and see your natural beauty as opposed to the 10 zits on your face. I am so much more confident and I still do not have oily skin until the end of the day( and only mild). I highly recommend accutane. I was extremely worried about the sideeffects and impact on my emotions but I did not have any problems during my accutane course(despite blood tests, gross). I did however have extremely dry skin especially when young my dosage from 40 every day to 40 one day 80 every other day. Be aware, a small nudge against a wall will peel your skin off. Keep a lotion on your skin and make sure you use sun screen!!!!!!! I burned even with spf 100. Also if you get a zit, DO NOT SQUEEZE. I know, that's the oldest cliche but on accutane it's super important you don't squeeze because it will peel off skin around the zit leaving a large scabby scrape on your face that is very hard to cover(it looks awful). If you do get one of these put aquaphor on it and leave it for as long as possible( overnight is recommended). Do it evey day until it goes away(should take up to 4-5days). Aquaphor was my best friend on accutane. Anyways, overall message: I HIGHLY recommend accutane. It was the best decision I've made in my life thus far. I feel so much more confident and beautiful.

by jayceeleggitt on 02/05/2015 04:12
Cera Ve face wash and lotion are amazing while on accutane and off! Very gentle and no medicines in them. As for makeup I use neutrogena blemish control concealer because I have a red undertone and neutrogena mineral sheets powder.
by Rinpanjang01 on 02/08/2015 08:33
hi... i am 28yo female who in 14 days of accutane. I have a bad IB now :( do you face the same thing as well? how long it takes on you? and how you deal with it? i feel i don't want to go out of my room because of this IB. thanks...
Best decision I have ever made
Reviewed on January 30, 2015

I am a 32 yo female who has had worsening cystic acne from about 25. Having progressed through all the usual over the counter products and also prescription medication like retin a, my GP referred me to a derm for the 'last resort'. And I am so glad she did- 6 months later I have perfect skin for the first time in years. I took 20mg a day for the first months and 40mg a day after that (I am finishing my course in the next month or so).

I have experienced a number of the usual side effects- dry lips, headache for the first two weeks, and occasional eczema on my hands when I don't moisturise enough- but none of them have been unmanageable. Remembering to drink lots of water and moisturise, moisturise, moisturise are the key.

I was scared to take this medication for so long because of all the negative press, however I wish I had taken in years ago.

If you are considering this medication I would suggest finding a good dermatologist and talking through the pros and cons with them to see if it might be a good fit for you. And if you decide it is, go for it and don't look back!

A note on costs- in Australia this medication costs me around $35 for a box of 60 20mg capsules.