Page 6 of Isotretinoin (Accutane) reviews

3.9/5 - 1897 reviews

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Changed my skin forever
Reviewed on February 18, 2014

I had very bad acne starting around the 9th grade. I went on multiple prescriptions of creams, gels, lotions only to discover nothing will cure my acne. I became a very self-conscience high schooler, attending classes everyday embarrassed of my skin. My doctor finally suggested Accutane, but that followed with harsh side effects. I began taking Accutane in grade 10. The first symptom I noticed was dryness. I have always had oily skin and hair, and after taking Accutane I became very dry. Drinking 8 glasses AND more of water a day is a MUST on Accutane. It became pretty severe dryness, to the point where my facial skin was peeling. Lips cracking, hair dryness (which I wasn't complaining about, I could go a week without washing it!) and skin peeling were the major side effects for me. The peeling became very embarrassing, I would have to put coats of Vaseline on my face. After about two months my face was flawless, no pimple in sight. After I discontinued use of Accutane, my skin completely transformed for the better. Now I still do get the odd break out from time to time, mainly hormonal. But if I had not taken Accutane, today my skin would have been disastrous.

Horrific drug.
Reviewed on October 4, 2013

I was prescribed claravis for very mild acne and it essentially wrecked my life. Thinned out my skin, I have wrinkles 3 years later at 20. Thinned hair, rosacea, pale skin, rectal bleeding, still dry years later . I was a normal person before accutane. Now my life will never be the same. I honestly can not emphasize how life altering (for the absolute worst) this drug was. It is possibly the most sad thing in the world to thing how different my life would have been had i just not gone to a dermatologist. Derms should be the absolute lowest paid doctors. Unless theyre performing surgery they are ignorant, ignorant people with little skill.

IF YOU are reading this, just think for 2 seconds. Look at all the one stars you see. You dont see that with anything else. When you go to buy a tv if there were 30% 1 stars you would quickly look to another tv where there were only maybe 2 or 3. Just look at all the severe side effects that you could endure. Avoid it. Dont take this drug.

Destroyed my life
Reviewed on February 15, 2014

Took accutane for 6 months when I was 17, was relatively fine during treatment suffering only the usual sides. 2 months post treatment I noticed severe lower back pain, over the last 9 years this pain has spread to every joint and fibre in my body, I i also suffer chronic dry skin, eyes, lips and scalp. I've also suffered severe stomach pains and ibs symptoms, intense pressure headaches, sexual problems and countless bouts of inflammation all over my body. I literally did not have a single one of these problems before commencing accutane.

Not worth the risk!
Reviewed on February 11, 2014

Taking accutane was a huge mistake for me. It gave me chapped lips and made my back super stiff. 6 years later my back problems are continuing to get worse to the point where I'm now basically disabled. For the first 4 years it was bearable, but last two years have been downright miserable. I've had a multitude of tests and imaging done and my doctors can't seem to find a cause for why my back keeps getting stiffer. I highly suspect accutane is responsible for the long term health problems I'm now enduring. The doc I'm seeing now agrees that it's a possibility. Before I took accutane I was pretty athletic, but these days all i can handle is a 15-30 min walk. I'm having extreme difficulty bending, sitting, twisting, my mobility has gone down the drain and my upper body/ torso/ spine feels super compressed. I took accutane when I was 20, I'm only 26 now but my body feels like it's 70, don't take this drug, the risks far outweigh the rewards.

30 s were a miserable time. My skin is beautiful again.
Reviewed on February 2, 2014

I had mild acne in my teens and 20s. I usually suffered from one mildly annoying pimple every few weeks. In my 30s, after rounds of retinoids, antibiotics, oral and topical treatments my skin became a horror show. No derm would prescribe Accutane to me. I.e. I was married and of child- bearing age. Too risky. It wouldn't work for hormonal acne. What a crock! I finally found a derm that would. I love my doctor for listening to me and agreeing that indeed I had to live in my own skin.

The first 6 months were really bad. In the last two months 7 & 8 I saw improvement. The second round three months later for 3 months really did the trick. I was having surgery so I had to quit early on my second round. It slows healing and I had to go off 6 months before my surgery. Now it's been 3 months since my surgery and I just got my first real pimple. I'm not hesitating to go on a low dose straight off. I'm going to wait until my scars are completely healed from surgery then start again. I have two months left but it will take at least two months to get my first prescription because I am female. It's ridiculous. And it costs a lot of money as my insurance doesn't cover all of the pregnancy testing which costs like 90 a month.

The side effects suck. I had dry lips, headaches, and joint pain.

But I no longer dread leaving the house, going to work, or even to yoga. I was so mortified of my days. I am no longer ashamed. This drug saved me.

A "Cure" but with horrible side effects
Reviewed on January 31, 2014

Accutane can be considered a cure for some (at least for those who actually works for) but for those of us that have run courses of accutane and have not seen a cure you WILL be left with horrible side effects. I took accutane almost 3 years ago and still to this day have nasty side effects that came with this drug. Unless you have tried changing your diet, lifestyle and absolutley nothing works then I would give accutane a shot. Even still I'm not sure if the side effects of this drug weigh out the pros of having less acne.

Long journey, but worth it.
Reviewed on January 29, 2014

Since I was 13 I have been breaking out, but as soon as I turned 17, it went from only a couple pimples to mild/severe cystic acne. I had tried any product you could name, and the effects were always good on my skin and acne for a few weeks or so, but then it was as if my skin was immune to it afterwards. When I chose to take the plunge with Accutane, I did my research and took care of myself as best I could since I've been on it. I am now starting my 5th month on it now, and especially in the last month my skin has changed dramatically... and yes, because Accutane makes your skin super dry and sensitive there has left some scarring from previous acne, but all but a couple pimples have been banished from my face now, giving me a much clearer appearance. Without Accutane, my face wouldn't be continuing to get better as it still is today, and I look forward to finishing my last month of it and moving onto treating my scars in the future. My advice for hopeful Accutane users is to keep at it, don't give up hope and keep your head straight because your acne will gradually begin to fade away, and along with that your confidence will begin to grow again. Do not use any harmful acids on your face, use only gentle washes e.g. Cetaphil and moisturise your face, lips and use eye drops, because they DO get dry!

Best of luck to future Accutane users!

Regret using this.
Reviewed on January 28, 2014

I used the gel version -

I've had bad acne on my back for about 3 years now but recently it's started to get a lot worse, not sure why. I've tried practically everything you can name for acne, all the spot lotions, zineryt, proactiv etc and nothing has worked. I got isotretinoin (isotrex) from the doctor and thought this would finally take my acne away but I couldn't have been more disappointed. I left this on over night but when I woke up my skin was peeling terribly, but that didn't bother me that much as long as I moisturised it. Then after a few days my skin started to feel really dry and itchy and was burning and then I saw loads of red burn patches which are still there a week after stopping using this and still burn and sting whenever my coat collar touches it or even a mild soap is used on it. I heard calomine lotion is helpful for acne and burns so I'm going to try that out tonight and hope for the best. Whatever you do, do NOT put this on any delicate skin such as your neck/chest.

This product changed my life.
Reviewed on January 25, 2014

As a 15yr. old girl (this was 16yrs. ago) I started Accutane. After the initial 30 days of my acne getting worse I started to notice that day by day the acne lessened and the pores on my face became smaller and I didn't have to constantly blot the oil off my face. I had some dryness but it was a small sacrifice to look in the mirror and not see these big ugly zits causing me to feel ugly and self conscious. I also started to look people in the eyes and not constantly worry that they were staring at the state of my skin, or to go outside in the bright light and have people thinking negative things about me. After 3 mos. my skin was beautiful, without a single blemish, and the pores shrunk back to normal. Although I had the dryness that everyone experiences, it was SO WORTH IT. People talk about depression as a side effect, but honestly I was so deliriously happy with the results that I can say I was never depressed for even one day. After 1 yr. of being off the drug I started to get a few pimples and went back to the dermatologist. She started me on a second course immediately. That was 17yrs. ago. My skin has been perfect and flawless ever since. I never get a breakout. I shudder to think how my life would have been if it wasn't for this wonder drug. I would recommend it in a heartbeat. It changed my life.

An Honest Review of Accutane
Reviewed on January 23, 2014

Here's the deal. My experience on accutane was rough, but it was SO worth it. I'll tell you straight up how it was and what to expect.

I started getting bad acne when I was 14, all over my neck, back, chest and face. The worst part was the big inflamed zits that would pump out pus like factories and wouldn't leave for weeks, sometimes months. And even when they did leave they left scars in their place. It was maddening. Acne had destroyed my self-esteem and confidence.

I finally went to my dermatologist and asked what we could do. He suggested antibiotics, but my mom and I pushed for accutane. Skip the weak stuff and go for the hardcore acne drug. It's the closest thing to a CURE for acne, and its effect is almost permanent.

Here's something you'll want to keep in mind: the higher the dose you're on, the less likely your acne is to relapse. Thankfully I had an aggressive-treatment dermatologist who knew this. I was on the pills for 6 months—the last three months I was taking 120mg a day. If you don't have any experience with accutane doses, that's a mother-freaking high dose.

The point is my acne never came back. I have occasional mini-breakouts now and then, but they're here and gone within a week.

Now for the side effects. The best part of accutane is that it gets the job done, and you probably won't have to deal with stuff like proactive once it's over (which takes FOREVER to put on and rinse off.) All you have to do with accutane is pop a pill.

Because I was on such a high dose I had some intense side effects: chapped lips (use Chapstick), dry eyes (use eye drops), random red patches on my skin (use lotion), muscle pain and a greater tendency to pull muscles (can't do anything about that, just wait until your time is up), bad breakouts for the first two months, etc.

It got worse before it got better for me, as it does with lots of people. But it DID get better by the end of my treatment. And it stayed that way. Overall, accutane IS DEFINITELY WORTH IT. it saved my confidence, saved my life. Just be willing to go through hell for several months to get your prize of clear skin.