Page 6 of Isotretinoin (Accutane) reviews

3.9/5 - 1907 reviews

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

update
Reviewed on August 7, 2013

It worked amazingly, no depression for me, the side effects like dry skin/lips/nose were no fun, quite a burden. The results were incredible though.

old review below

So far it is going OK. A couple of weeks in now. I have already experienced dry skin and lips. At points, I have already peeled off dead skin (lips) and I recommend using Vaseline for them. Because if you suffer with occasional cold sores; Carmex can spread it if it appears. (this happened to me.) I can already see an improvement, I have not yet experienced joint pain. It's not too bad for the pros you get. It's working wonders for now. Will post later on to keep you updated. I am 14 so I didn't pay anything for isotretinoin.

Wow is all can say!
Reviewed on March 25, 2014

A little history on me I am 33 yrs old and I have suffered with acne since I was 17. I have tried EVerything!!!! Well I told my self that I was not going another year with acne I was fed up! I had the acne that would stay under the skin and leave red marks and would take a while to go away( cystic). I new this was always available and heard good things as well as bad so I put this treatment off due to the horror stories. I was just tired of looking in the mirror EVeryday and seeing my face like this plus bring 33 years old i was fed up! So after much research on this medication I finally went to my dermatologist and asked to be put on this medication. ( he had mentioned it before but i was hesitant)I love it after 30 days my skin had already cleared up 98 percent!!!! Taking 40mg. Twice a day I am on Month 2 and still looking good NO Acne! Only thing I can say is I wish I would have done this WAY sooner it would have boosted my confidence a lot when I was younger. The only think "bad" I can say is you WILL have dry lips. I must have went thru all the stores Chapsticks and aquaphor trying to find something to work my lips we real bad bleeding at times on the corners. My pharmacist after my 1st 30 day refill saw my lips and recommended DR Dans CORTIBALM this Is a miracle lipbalm. Within 2 days my lips we're normal looking no redness still dry but this maintained them looking and feeling better. I Highly recommend this product I can't stress this enough! Also the normal dry skin and two small rashes on my hands but my derm gave me some cream and it seems to help. -

As well as constipation I have been taking Miralax and this is another great product. I did some research on this and the medicine can cause this plus my pharmacist did say at the beginning that the medicine can will cause this, Well I hope this review will help some of you and give you some hope that you can have clear skin and a new outlook on life! I do!!!

Literally A Miracle
Reviewed on March 22, 2014

I've had moderate persistent acne since I've been 13 (now 16). It was the center of my life-- I would spend all day looking in mirrors, my mood swayed because of how my skin looked and I became obsessed with makeup as a way to cover it up. After trying to treat it with your usual SA and benzol peroxide, along with a slew of natural treatments such as mushroom extracts, calendula, garlic extract you name it (try apple cider vinegar as a toner though it worked for a few months for me), I was prescribed retinoids which did nothing but make me peely and I still broke out albeit a little less. I was on antibiotics for months which did help clear me up but as soon as I stopped I was right back to where I was before, or worse. I had a lot of anxiety about my skin and I felt it was the only thing people saw. I begged for accutane for months and my doctor really felt it was a last resort thing so it took a while to get a prescription. I'm on my 3rd month of a 5 month prescription. I started on 40 mg and now I am on 50 mgs and my life has CHANGED. My skin is softer, much clearer, and scarring is healing up. I do occasionally get a little spot or so, not enough to be called a pimple, but its very concentrated in one area and easy to treat. These little blemishes become much more responsive to over the counter medications. My skin is also so much less oily-- it's a miracle. I didn't have an initial break out, but probably because I made a point to be aggressive with old retinoids I had laying around so I got everything out of my skin before I started taking pills. I also have found that my skin is tough enough that I can use acidic products at night to get rid of scarring and it's been fine. I LOVE Cerave PM (I use it day and night) with a slightly acidic cream cleanser (Brilliant Cleanse you can find at bluemercury) every morning and night with Kiehl's in-flight skin spray as a purifying toner. Yes, the skin on your body will be SO dry. I have itchy eczema on my upper arms and back and I used to get nosebleeds at night. Yes, my back does hurt from the joint pains. Yes, your lips will be so dry they bleed sometimes. Yes, the blood tests can be annoying but at least you don't have to worry about your vitals being irregular and you know that you aren't suffering dangerous side effects. At the end of the day, you have clear radiant skin and that's what matters. I am so glad I did this and all my friends say I have made a great transition to clear skin. GOOD LUCK!!! Try to get your derm to prescribe it to you because most people will want to do it eventually just so they can stop being bothered by acne.

Very effective!
Reviewed on March 20, 2014

I had extremely severe acne. Bumps and inflammation everywhere. Ive tried other pills and topicals and they didnt do anything. My skin is now flat and no more pimples.

Wasn't worth the side effects and acne came back
Reviewed on March 17, 2014

My first round of accutane went well. Just the usual dryness, scabby nose, annoying monthly visits to the doctor. My skin was clearer than it had ever been...for a few months. Then, I had to go on another round of accutane and within a month or two, I had a very unusual anxiety attack (I have never experienced this before in my life). Again, my acne went away for awhile and surprise surprise, it came back. I didn't dare go on yet another round for fear of what would happen next time.

The Magic Pills
Reviewed on March 9, 2014

What a medicine it is. wowowow. I would recommend it to everyone. Please dont use topicals with accutane

Accutane So Far
Reviewed on March 4, 2014

I used to have terrible cystic acne that hurt very badly. I tried so many products since I've been getting acne (about age 12). Nothing worked. I used Neutrogena, Clean and Clear, a lot of presecription topical treatments (Benzamycin, Tactuo, Stevia-A, Differin - None of them helped, they usually irritated my skin worse.

Given that accutane has actually gotten rid of the pimples is a miracle, i used to get the acne mostly on my cheeks,so they used to always look swollen, I've noticed now, my face looks slimmer and it looks like i actually have cheekbones (they are more contoured).

I took of a star from the rating because I've been on it for 5 months and i haven't seen too much of an improvement in my scarring (my scarring is very bad, very red)

I guess I'll have to wait when i'm done this cycle of accutane to see if the results are long lasting.

Bitter alumni.
Reviewed on February 25, 2014

I had to take Accutane for over a year because my doctor decreased my dosage due to feeling depressed. It did clear up my face, body, etc.. but I only had clear skin for only 6-7 months until I started breaking out again. My hopes were crushed and I believed, and I still do, that nothing was going to help my severe acne. My acne isn't as bad as it was before I was put on it, but the long-term results were not pleasing at all. My face broke out, my back broke out, my neck, shoulders, everywhere! At least my acne was clear when I took my senior photo during high school!! I still have breakouts.. I regret wasting time and money on Accutane. It was NOT worth it at all.

The most misunderstood medication ever
Reviewed on February 21, 2014

I'm documenting my Accutane log with the sole purpose of helping those who are confused about taking this oft-feared, oft-revered medication. Read my in-depth experience here (link below). I'll be updating it regularly. You can also ask me as many questions as you want on that forum and i'll be glad to help. Here's the link:

It worked very quickly with no side affects
Reviewed on February 20, 2014

It cleared my skin quickly. I was in my 40's when I finally got the nerve to try Accutane actually I had been going to the dr since I was 12 years old for acne and no one even recommended it. the reason I did not give it 5 stars was because I did not get to complete my treatments, and this was because I was forced to join a membership, and under this membership you have to call in and I was never able to call in reach anyone. Now I had to take pregnancy test although I was in my 40's have been going through early menopause and had my tubes tied. it was ridiculous. as a result I never got to complete my treatments eventually my skin begin to break out again. in fact I thought they took accutane off the market, because of the problems associated with it with other women. I still need to use it, and I will try again as soon as I find a dermatologist