Page 6 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2027 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Accutane was the only thing that worked for me.
Reviewed on September 1, 2015

Many people look at accutane as a highly dangerous drug that causes all kinds of problems. Before I started my course of accutane (it was actually Claravis because accutane is off the market but it's all the same) everybody would tell me that it would cause hair loss, liver failure, infertility (I'm a guy), and change in skin color. Most of the views that people who have never been on/or haven't been educated about accutane are extremely negative, but most of the things that people say about it are either completely wrong or skewed. I went into my course of treatment very scared because of all these things that people told me. Of course my body (inside and out) was dry, very dry, but it cleared up my acne without a flaw, it cleared up my acne completely. I used aquaphor on my lips and inside my nose to prevent chapping and bloody noses. I have had no bad experiences with this drug (not to say that anyone would have the same experience on me). You have to get a blood test every month to make sure that it is not disrupting bodily functions, some bodies (not many) cannot handle the drug. Thank you Accutane, for saving my skin.

by tnt97 on 09/29/2015 16:10
Thank you I have a 17 yr od starting on the treatment next week. I am very worried and I am glad I read your review.
by tnt97 on 09/29/2015 16:10
13+ years of Acne, 7 months of Accutane.
Reviewed on August 19, 2015

I had a great experience with Accutane, or Clarus which is what I actually took. For the first three or four months I took 40mg once a day, and then the rest I alternated with taking one 40mg pill and two 40mg pill [to average at 60mg/day]

Initially I had some drying, but nothing bad. After the second month my skin became quite red- it didn't hurt at all though. My lips were the dryest part, but I found the lip treatment I was using made it barely noticable. By month 7 my skin was flaking a bit more than it had been during the previous months, but a few days after my last dose it went away. My skin never went through the 'worse and than better' phase, it just got better. I still had a few pimples for the first 5 months, but nothing compared to what it was before. And then the last two months it all just went away.

While I believe I was a good candidate for Accutane [had moderate acne for 13+ years, birth control, diet, antibiotics, etc never helped] I do think the reason my skin didn't react as dramatically as some was because of my skincare.

I live in Toronto, so I was using some products that are local but can be purchased online/equivilents can be found.

As a cleanser, I used Mario Badescu: Enzyme Cleanser. Honestly I didn't care much for this stuff, but I had purchased it so I figured I would use it. I never found cleanser affected my skin much. To remove makeup though I always use coconut oil.

For a moisturizer, I used Pure + Simple: Regenerating Seabuckthorn Berry Oil. This stuff is a dream come true and I think it's the main reason my skin was so good during my treatment. You can buy other brands, as long as not just oil + fillers. Seabuckthorn Oil is great for wound healing so it's perfect for Accutane users. It's pricey but one bottle lasted me 8+ months, so in the end it's worth it. In general, I cannot reccomend oils for your face enough. I know it seems scary since most people who deal with acne also have oily skin, but I've been using oils on my skin since before I started Accutane and while it didn't clear up my skin, it made it feel great! And is way more healing than regular moisturizers that are mainly just fillers.

For my lips, I used Elizabeth Arden: 8 Hour Cream. This stuff is so great. It's mega thick, you can add it to your moisturizer, apply it to burns/cuts, or do what I did and apply it straight to your lips. I found I had to apply it often when I first started my treatment but by the end it was much less often and my lips felt/looked great.

I've been done treatment for a month now, and my skin looks and feels great. It's very smooth to the touch, and while I still have some scaring, I have no pimples and haven't for months.

I did not experience any of the other side effects, besides dry skin/lips.

Be patient!
Reviewed on August 18, 2015

I began getting severe acne on my face at an early age (11) (As I got older I began getting acne on my chest and back as well too) I tried EVERYTHING you can imagine and NONE of it worked, it was frustrating & it was causing me to grow up with poor self esteem.

At 16 my dermatologist put me on accutane(isotretinoin). She told me to expect my skin to "get worse before it gets better" and that a month into taking the meds my skin would begin improving. Well month 3 came around and I saw very little improvements in my skin. At this point I was getting discouraged,but by the 5th month my skin actually did clear up a lot. My advice; don't get discouraged if you don't see immediate results! My dermatologist even told me she was beginning to worry because for most patients it did not take so long for results. I guess i was a rare case.

It has been three years since I took Accutane and my skin is still clear!! I still break out from time to time (but like a normal person, not 8 zits at a time) But the medicine was definitely worth it and I could not be happier about the results!

PROS: My skin is finally clear!!

CONS: VERY dry face and lips while on meds(I recommend eucerin lip ointment),causes depression(I did not get depressed but it did make me extremely moody), can not drink while taking it, face is relatively dry now.

Now just need to get rid of the horrible scarring from 6 years of acne!! :(

by Lizj2011 on 09/01/2015 16:52
Ekkk you give me hope! I'm on my 3rd month of Accutane and my face is just awful, I have a volcano (3, in a row actually) on my forehead and am sooo embarrassed. For your scarring, have you tried the skin roller? I heard it works wonders for face scars, I plan on getting one when I am off Accutane. Thank you for the review, I am definitely discouraged about this product right now...
by Ikokspod on 11/12/2015 13:36
hi! what dosage were you on and how long was your course? please give your personal description too.
Month 4 no change
Reviewed on August 13, 2015

Last year I came off the combined pill due to migraines (not by choice) and after getting mini pill then depo provera injection I developed really nasty acne on my back and chest, I had the same issue years ago when I got the implant put in, I must be sensitive to progesterone only contraception. I was put on antibiotics but I know they wouldnt work as they didnt the last time, so after to-ing and fro-ing from the doctors I was referred to hospital dermatologist who offered me doxycycline (more antibiotics!) or isotretinoin. I have had zero improvement the last 4 months, I really think mine is hormonal as I breakout as part of monthly cycle. I had not had any hormomal contraception for a year but I am convinced the injection triggered my problems. Out of desperation I have bought the combined pill online as I have now realised this is what cleared my skin after the implant ruined it. I am onto packet number 3 (taking lucette which has same ingredients as Yasmin but £35 cheaper) and my skin seems to be improving so I personally think its the pill that is stopping the acne NOT isotretinoin.

Also I am from UK and work so it is not exactly free, I have to pay prescription charges £8.20 a month as I am female so have to have a pregnancy test each time they give me it.

I started 20mg, then 40mg for 2 months and now on 60mgs. Luckily just seem to have dry lips and skin as side effects with the odd rash.

Hope everyone has better luck than me but I don't think its the way to go for hormonal acne

Isotretinoin
Reviewed on August 9, 2015

I've had a horrible severe acne since more than 2 years ago. My face, my chest and my back, horrible.

So I've been on Isotretinoin this year, and well, these are the results:

My face, which was HORRIBLE, cleaned like 95%

My chest is less horrible

My back is still horrible.

So, why 4 stars? Because of the face clean, saved my life.

Best thing I've ever done!
Reviewed on August 5, 2015

Accutane was my miracle acne cure. I had suffered from horrible breakouts and oily skin since the 7th grade. My terrible skin became quite depressing and really made my high school days tougher than they should have been. Finally around 20 years old and after using every other product known to man, my dermatologist put me on Accutane. The process is kind of a pain, but after seeing results, I didn't mind at all. A lot of people say you break out first but I didn't. About 2-3 months in, my skin was clear- no face makeup needed. For once in my life, I had beautiful, radiant and clear skin. It was so unbelievable. I'm 24 now and still think Accutane was the best thing I ever did. The oil production in my skin has returned a little but no serious breakouts. I often imagine how much smoother life would have been if I had taken Accutane much younger. Sighs.

hard for your liver
Reviewed on July 27, 2015

never managed to complete. i tried two times in my early 20's. first was two month long and the second only one. some of my liver enzymes (alt, ast, triglyceride and cholesterol) went crazy so doctors decided to stop. sad story. I have been suffering since then. no other treatment is more effective than accutane.

Fantastic drug. Went on it in my early twenties twice and it gave me perfect skin for 20 years
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

I went on Accutane/Roaccutane twice in my early 20's. It is an amazing drug and the only cure for acne. The only side effect I had was dry lips and I just bought Elizabeth Arden's eight hour cream and that solved the problem. Do not be put off taking this wonderful drug by a few scaremongers on the internet. It gave me perfect incredible skin for 20 years. I am now 45 and some very mild acne has started to emerge and I am going on doxycycline. Accutane also has an anti ageing effect on the skin as I look about 10 years younger than my age and I put it down to having been on Roaccutane/Accutane. I told a work colleague about it who had severe acne. She went on it and now also has perfect skin and she had severe acne. So I helped change her life. Go on Roaccutane/ Accutane you will not regret it.

by liveforlife on 07/29/2015 06:40
Hi, I'm delighted to hear your treatment worked for you! I was given this treatment in my late teens after seeing a dermatologist and it too cleared my skin....amazing. I am now almost 30 and I am struggling with bad acne again. However, I am no longer under the care of a dermatologist. Do you know if your GP can prescribe it or would I have to go down the path of the dermatologist again?
by Fudgesicle87 on 08/05/2015 17:12
liveforlife, your GP can prescribe it (at least in Canada) but may be uncomfortable with that and send you to a dermatologist anyway.
pros and cons.
Reviewed on July 25, 2015

I have been dealing with acne all over my face for just over a year, I was put on accutane in may 50gm, so I'm currently on my 3rd month. My acne has cleared and all that's left is the scaring, which Is amazing! I feel so much more confident and it feels amazing having smooth skin! BUT there are side effects the most difficult one I have experienced would be hair loss, my hair has thinned a lot since started but in my opinion having clear skin is more important ( although I naturally have long hair that is rather thick so it wasn't a deal breaker for me) I take Vitamin C and hair supplements to try and help .

some other side effects are: dry lips/ swollen lips, I just keep them moisturized this isn't a big deal for me they dont get too bad.

bloodshot eyes, my eyes water more easily too, I look like I've been crying or I'm stoned a lot.

also drying of the skin, I recommend putting jojoba oil on your face at night, it stops the drying and it's great for your skin.

side note- the face wash I use is angels on bare skin by Lush, and the tea tree toner by lush, both are great and I recommend.

All in all I'd say that this product is worth it, although luckily I live in the UK and get it free, I don't think i would pay for it considering the price and the side effect.

by nomorespotsplease on 07/26/2015 10:30
Hi, I am on 50mg for th last week or so before that k was on 20mg. I can c an improvement now am on the 50mg. Were u on 50mg the whole time?? I am also in UK and get it free but even if I had to pay I would, I NEED clear skin I hate having to put make up on. When did u clear? I'm on day 38. Any advise would b great😊
by juliafin on 07/27/2015 00:03
Hey, I have been on 50mg for the whole time, I'd say it took 3/4 weeks to completely clear, but the dermatologist recommended I stay on it for 3 months just to make sure it doesn't come back, it is a really great medication, hope your skin clears up soon! I'd also watch out as now your on a higher dose the side effects may worsen but I know it's worth it x
by jokule81 on 08/13/2015 09:42
Do you not pay prescription charges in UK? I have to for my accutane
My story
Reviewed on June 9, 2015

I have suffered from acne since I was 11 I am now 27. When I was about 14 I got the benzoyl peroxide cream which made it worse so I stopped using it and it soon went back to "normal' which was bad but not as bad as when I was using th cream. When I was 16/17 I got oxcicetricyline and it reduced my blackheads and cleared my skin a lot but still not completely clear I was given this medication another couple of times after that spaced out through 8 years. To b honest I just thought that was me I had bad skin and that's it......deal with it!! After having my son at 19 I thought my skin would get better and to some effect I think it did as I was at the doctors a lot less than before about my skin. About 5 months ago I started to get big spots more like a cyst on my forehead when I never really got them there before. So I went to the doctors, he gave me the oxcicetricyline as it worked before.....this time however it didn't it got WORSE!!!! I got loads of huge cysts on my forehead chin and the side of my head along with other smaller "spot" type ones!! I was gutted! After that ran out I went on an antibiotic for a week I googled it and it was for th treatment of abscesses can't remember name.....did nothing! Then I got a 2 month suppy of lymecycline 408mg while I waited for an app with dermatologist. Didn't have to wait long only 3weeks as my doctor put it as urgent as it was so bad, really sore and swollen so I struggled to sleep at nights as I had a huge cyst right next to my ear on the side I sleep😔 so anyway in the 3 weeks it done nothing either. Was at derm yesterday and he gave me prednisolone a type of steroid to take for a month and accutane to start on the 3rd week. Think steroid to calm it and hopefully help keep an initial breakout at bay if I get 1. So I am just starting this and I hope that after this treatment I finally after 17 years have clear skin😊 can update if anyone wants to know👍🏽

by nomorespotsplease on 07/25/2015 10:42
Hey just an update!! I am currently on day 37 of accutane. For the 1st 28 days I was on 20mg and as I said on the post above I also had steroids for th 1st 2 weeks. 3 weeks in I went for bloods and as my cysts were still there my deem gave me more steroids for 2 weeks. And upped my dose of accutane to 50mg. That was a week and a half ago. My cysts are goin down.....slowly but never the less they are getting smaller. The rest of my face is clearing as well although red marks are still there even though the spots are gone. SIDE EFFECTS SO FAR •dry lips and mouth •dry patches of skin on hands •little back and neck pain •bloody crusty boogers on right nostril🙈 so expecting nose bleed soon I use the brand simple for my face wash, face wipes and day and night moisturisers. So far so good as I can now see an improvement, fingers crossed it starts to go away a lot quicker now I am on a higher dose😊
by nomorespotsplease on 07/25/2015 12:26
forgot to say I also had an increased heart rate for the 1st month, since being on 50mg that's stopped, maybe my body is getting used to th drug
by muke on 08/30/2015 03:06