Isotretinoin (Accutane)

Recommended by 86% of visitors

Average price: $76.09

Most helpful review

By Jordan, Columbia, SC on 12/29/2012

I've had sever cystic acne for over 15 years. My face would hurt and throb in pain just sitting there. Believe me when I say I have tried everything from Proactive, Retin A, Doxycycline , a whole bunch of very painful yet ineffective zit zapping facial treatments, just to name a few. Not to mention, I probably went through about 10 different dermatologists just trying to find something that would work. Accutane was my absolute last resort. It took me 15 years to talk myself into it and it was a pain in the butt while I was on it (super dry skin, eyes, and lips that felt like they would fall off). Seriously, I would forget my keys or phone different places, but I learned very quickly not to forget my chapstick. But after about the third month, my face was almost completely clear. After 15 years of hell, and it only took 3 months on Accutane for my face to clear up. I couldn't believe it! I understand Accutane is not for everyone. I am just so thankful that it worked for me..

Pros:
  • cleared sever cystic acne completely
  • changed my life
Cons:
  • very drying
  • dry eyes
  • dry skin
  • dry nose
  • annoying blood tests

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil
flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Member reviews

“It's the cure.”
By on

My version of accutane was called Claravis. I took it for about 6-7 months twice in my life so far. I took once as a teenage boy and again 15 years later. I've have 97% clear skin now for about 1 1/2 years. My insurance did not cover cover accutane, because my insurance sucked. So, I paid out of pocket each time, like $400 dollars. However, this is not the norm. It was the best $2,400 I ever spent. I paid $2400 for a cure to acne. If your insurance rocks, you may around $450 for a cure. I think the office visit to the dermatologist alone is $300 without insurance.

The most annoying thing was about one week of a breakout. Then, after that, it was just dry skin and some minor aches in my back. Also, you have to take the monthly blood tests. Totally worth it.

Pros

• Cured acne
  • Simple to use
  • Cured acne, did I mention that?

Cons

• Costs (will vary by insurance)
  • monthly blood tests
  • dry skin and minor aches
  • for a few months
  • $ 400
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Amazing!”
By on

This Product is FLIPPING AMAZING. All these stories about people getting depression are utter rubbish, two or three cases out of many does not make it the cause of depression. Since iv been taking the 10Mg prescribed by my gp, my cystic spots have completely gone and its only been 2 months, i have just got the odd spot here and there but hey got another 4 months to go. To anyone who is unsure of trying the product, just go for it, dont waste time on using expensive products. This will DEFO work. You will be glad that you took this medicine.

Pros

• Cystic spots removed
  • much clearer skin

Cons

• dry skin whilst using medicine
  • dry lips whilst using medicine
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“First month”
By on

Before my dermatologist decided to put me on acutane, we had tried multiple medical topical treatments, Minocylene for almost 6 months WITH the topical and still no results. With painful acne that covered my whole back and chest going to prom (dress), wearing clothes lower than my neck was a no go. I was wearing so much concealer on my face it was getting expensive... Not being able to put pressure on my back without feeling pain led to back problems from sleeping on my side all the time. After one month of taking acutane all the pain, bumps, and acne is gone! Of course I was warned it would come back before the end up my treatment so I'm still on it. The side effects are quite annoying but easy to deal with. Carmex for my dry lips, eye drops when my eyes get dry and itchy, an plenty of water! Having oily skin to start with, I haven't had any dry skin problems though I still use St. Ives body lotion on my hands, elbows, and over the old acne scars. They are starting to fade and I've never been more proud in my skin! At first the reviews scared me but I realized all the patients experiencing serious side effects weren't even seeing a doctor every month! I see mine before every monthly refill of my medication and have my blood/kidney tests. So far so good! I recommend this to any healthy person with severe acne, but do it through a doctor who knows what they're doing:) (can be expensive, insurance coverage might help! My 60mg a day is 2,000$ a month!)

Pros

• Clear skin
  • No more surface pain
  • Confidence!

Cons

• Dry lips
  • Dry nose
  • Dry throat
  • for a few months
  • $ 2000
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“My Accutane Journey”
By on

Accutane has changed my life. I've always had problems with my skin, but at the start of 2013, I began to develop large, cystic whiteheads and pimples all over my face, back and chest. They became inflammed and red so I went to a dermatoglist to be diagnosed. He told me I had severe cystic acne, but it was a much rarer kind than that found in most teenagers suffering from the same problem. From April 2013 to June 2013, I was on 10 mg, which seems like a small dose but it was enough to bring out my acne to it's worst.

For the first six months my skin was in the worst state it had ever been in. It was red and inflamed with large cystic pimples protruding from every part of my face.

I am now finishing my 8th month of Accuatane and I couldn't be happier with the results. My skin has improved tremendously and I have never felt more confident and treatment isn't even finished! Accutane has changed my life.

View my before and after here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/gallery/image/51851-april-2013-vs-november-2013/

Pros

• Major improvements
  • Skin is completely cured
  • Minimizes pores

Cons

• Dry skin/ lips
  • Eczema
  • Can influence mood slightly
  • for about a year
  • $ 65
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Works if you will die with it”
By on

Hello, this product will work as long as you keep using it, after that it does not, I used it for 6 months(I do not want to throw my life away)(maybe it's because i had acne problems so long, don't know)), and it's really dangerous product so I better use BP without any problems now, it's a miracle product (just use BP like smart people not like desperate people and it will work.

!!!!

About the BP miracle (I had acne over 10 years, now my skin has scars) -- I have noticed more better results than BP clean solutions, I recommend Dr. Wolf , Acne fug (it's was the only thing with BP in my country, and now I can not stop using it!!!), Acne fug is 5% BP and has alcohol and some other clearing skin agents(it's stored something like 2-7 decrees) (the paper recommends it for hormonal acne (hormons cause acne etc), the acne that other products can't fight), I use it once a day and works much better than any BP solution so far (It can't get any better, so I stay at this product.

If I will not use acnefug for several days(and not showering) the acne comes back, some pimple or pimples appear, but if using this product they disappear after 2-3 days completely), no flakiness or anything(BP makes skin look a bit lifeless, but this product not). Only once a day!!!!(I shower once a day!)(it's quite effective so please not use that often) I also use moisturizer with lipids and after that my skin is not try and feels good.

Note: I am promoting healthy living and am exercising a lot.

///

Pros

• all, still looked like human, probably not the worse
  • over 10 years

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Dissapointing”
By on

I have suffered from bad cystic acne for about a decade. about 3 years ago I decided to take some time off from college and come home and give Accutane a shot. I was excited to see that my face was clearing up rapidly (I started on 30mg). However, I was constantly nauseous even though I was on a special diet. I also became extremely depressed. I would spend days at a time laying in the couch not being able to move. At this point my blood results were crazy and indicated that my liver was extremely irritated. I stopped treatment immediately for about a month, and then went back on it at 10mg. The side effects were pretty much gone except for super dry lips and dry skin. My skin was so dry that the soles of my feet would flake. After I finished the treatment, my skin looked amazing. I was happy to be done with acne forever. EXCEPT it came back about 2 months after I stopped taking the pill. First mildly, and within a year it was as if I had never done the treatment at all.

Pros

• Clears Cystic Acne
  • Pores look smaller

Cons

• Depression/Liver problems
  • Dry flaky skin
  • Acne comes back
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“I love this drug!”
By on

I am 26/ female and have suffered from adult/ hormonal acne since I was 22. Cystic acne on the jaw, neck and chin, as well as small pustules on my forehead that just kept reappearing no matter what I did. I tried everything under the sun (Yaz, spironolactone, antibiotics, topicals). A new dermatologist finally convinced me to try Accutane. I am so grateful to her! Accutane has been amazing for my self esteem. I've been on the drug for 1.5 months (first month at 30 mg and second at 40). I had a small initial breakout the second week, but I normally breakout that week (thanks, hormones). After that, NO ACNE! I haven't had a new pimple/ cyst anywhere on my body/face since then. My old acne is practically gone. I am still left with some hyperpigmentation from past acne, but I expect that to fade over time.

The side effects aren't nearly as bad as everyone says they are. My skin isn't that dry, just not oily any more. I used to blot my forehead at the end of the day and it would douse the paper in oil like a french fry. My lips peel a bit, nothing extreme though. And I now have eczema on my hands but it's pretty easy to manage with very thick lotion at night.

My only real concern is hair loss. After a few weeks on the drug, I noticed visible thinning of the hair around my forehead. My hair was already thinning a bit before I started Accutane, but I believe the drug is exacerbating the loss. My dermatologist said this is extremely rare; I guess I'm unlucky. But I'm willing to cope with that side effect to keep this beautiful skin. I'm so happy I finally took the plunge with this drug.

Pros

• Beautiful clear skin in 2 weeks!

Cons

• Hair loss
  • Eczema on hands
  • for about a month
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“if you healthy mind, go for it”
By on

i have acne/pimples since I was in 16 years. It has hit me hard on my esteem and confidence due to it. I tried benzoyl, salicid and dalacin t, and to some extent it works, but it keep coming back, and worse when I start working. Then, I went to see this Dermatologist- Dr Noraziah. She gives me a few alternatives and tells me the result I should be getting, and having been with acne almost 10 yrs, I resolve to take Accutane despite her advise that it will cause birth defects. I've use it for 3-4 months and I stop using it when I see the tremendous result, no longer oily skin, my face turns out smooth, and for the first time ever I feel total confident. Of course I do experience dryness, but the doctor advice me to take aques cream and Vaseline, which it works. Afther I stop, perhaps I did not really care for my skin, 4 yrs later..my face started to get oily with pimple and acne. so I decided to see my dermatologist again. Again she advise for this treatment. This time, I'm taking it for 6 months. It has been great, except, dryness, hair thinning, and mostly dark thoughts and hopelessness. So I decided to not taking it. If you ask me if this product is really worth it, I would say yes and no, as the side effects for a long run it's not worth it.

Pros

• clear skin
  • not oily
  • it boose your confidence

Cons

• dryness
  • dark thoughts and hopelessness
  • long terms effects.
  • for a few months
  • $ 80
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!”
By on

Accutane has been the most amazing acne product ever invented on the market today. I'm on month 4 and my skin hasn't looked poreless or acne-free since I was in 6th grade! Its amazing! I really recommend this product to anyone and everyone. Don't listen to all those discouraging stories. Just take it with a grain of salt. You will not regret it.

Pros

• Smooth Skin
  • Poreless
  • Acne-Free

Cons

• Dry Lips
  • Muscle Aches
  • Dry Face
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“only 17 days in, amazing results”
By on

Tried everything, nothing working. Started Accutane 17 days ago and it's been uphill from there. My doctor started me on 20 mg once a day and it seems to be enough. My acne dries up so quickly and basically falls off my face in 1-2 days. Before accutane I had mild-severe acne. Anywhere from 2 to 10 huge cysts on my chin and around my nose. After a few days of Accutane, it all started to go away! No initial breakout, my derm said I wouldn't get one on 20 mg but I didn't believe him. Only thing negative about this is my face and lips are dry, all managable tho. Not clear yet, but everyday it gets better and better ha! I'm pretty stoked. Go listen to STS9!!!!

Pros

• Cleared/clearing acne
  • no IB

Cons

• Hair was falling out first week or two, not anymore.
  • Dry lips and face.
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.