Page 5 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 1914 reviews

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Would take it again for the results
Reviewed on June 11, 2014

Best thing that ever happened to my skin. I was 16 years old when my derm prescribed this to me, since my moderately severe acne was not improving with topicals or oral antibiotics. I was about 5'6 and 115 pounds at the time so my dose wasn't heavy. I believe I was given 40mg every other day for the first month, then 40mg every day for the next two months, and then for the rest of my course it was 40mg everyday except on MWF I would take 80mg. Overall my course was 8 months and I never got completely clear. However, I saw major improvement and it's the most improvement I've ever seen with my skin (the regimen is a close second). I didn't really experience dry skin on my face, but my hands and lips were extremely dry. It definitely gave me my confidence back. I even got compliments on my skin! My skin was never oily, I didn't have any blackheads, and my cystic acne almost completely disappeared. I did have a few lingering clogged pores, which I believe was the reason why I still had a little acne. I'm 18 now and I was recently diagnosed with PCOS which causes oily skin and acne. I never took birth control pills while on accutane so my hormones likely intervened. After I finished the course my derm gave me differin but we didn't have insurance and my father spent a lot of money on the accutane, so I never got the prescription and I haven't been back since :( I used 2.5% BP and aloe vera to maintain my skin and it was decent for about a year. Did the regimen for half a year but quit to try oil cleansing and all that. Now my acne has completely transformed, in a bad way. I don't get cysts anymore but almost all my acne is pustules, whiteheads, and clogged pores. The regimen got me to a good point but I got lazy, wanted to try new things, and now my skin is worse than ever (still no cysts but I swear it looks worse than before accutane). So all in all, this medication gave me more improvement than any other skincare treatment, and I will be booking an appointment for my derm in the near future so I can take a second round. Oh, and I never get cysts anymore.

2 Rounds of Accutane - Big Fan but Not a 100% Cure
Reviewed on June 9, 2014

I did my first round of Accutane when I was 20 years old after trying multiple other treatments. My moderate acne was primarily around my cheeks and chin and had affected my confidence negatively for years. Like most, my skin got dry and flaky and I felt like my face screamed "Accutane!" My back would ache for 5-10 minutes every night when I would lie down and I was going through lotion bottles like a madwoman. I was confident the sacrifice would be worthwhile, though, and sure enough by month 5 my skin was smooth and clear. I had a newfound confidence that made me a believer.

Unfortunately, the clear skin only lasted about two years and then slowly returned, although not nearly as bad as it was before. After some discussion with my dermatologist, I decided to do Accutane again. Round 2 was just as awful but the results were just as fantastic. Now, two years after my second round I still deal with occasional (manageable) breakouts and am still really hope the acne doesn't get much worse. It has been fairly stable though so I think this is my final result. I hoped that the strong drug would "Cure" my acne once and for all but that was not the case. I am truly grateful to Accutane for giving me back my confidence, however, and though not a perfect solution, it left me with a very manageable degree of acne and am able to keep my face very clear if I am consistent with my skin care regimen. That would not have been possible for me before Accutane.

Overall, Accutane WAS a miracle drug for me. Truly a life changer. I would definitely recommend Accutane for those dealing with moderate to severe Accutane and would absolutely do it over again myself if (heaven forbid) I had to go back to those acne-ridden days.

Accutane - for severe acne AND/OR sebaneous hyperplasmia
Reviewed on June 6, 2014

I am in my second month of a five month treatment (40mg a day). I HAD moderate acne and, at times, severe cysts on my face for many, many years and tried everything over the counter and by prescription. l also suffered from sebaneous hyperplasmia (middle age nightmare). The first month on Accutane was really hard - skin peeling and some rather large cysts broke out on my chin/cheeks. All gone none - 6th weeks in.... I am not kidding ALL acne and sebaneous hyperplasmia are gone!!!!

Now - in my experience - the best stuff to combat the excessive peeling/dryness:

Wash face daily with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and use Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. You can use Olay Wash Cloths (sensitive skin) to remove makeup at night. If you have excessive peeling - very gently wet a clean washcloth and gently use on your face wiping it downward to remove dead/dry/peeling skin - following up with moisturizer - then a sunscreen (day time). If your skin gets really, really dry use Aquapor heating ointment at night and wash off in the morning. A really nice and more expensive line for Accutane users is - Avene. They make a cleanser specially for Accutane users that is truly wonderful called Clean-AC, then follow up with Clean-AC moisturizing cream and I use their 50 high protection sunscreen. The best lipbalm to use is Cortibalm - handsdown!! It is a lifesaver for dry lips!!! As for makeup - less is better but the following has worked very well for me: after Avene sunscreen (wait for it to dry), I use Pur Minerals correcting primer and then their mineral foundation powder (even at my most dryness it worked better than any liquid foundation) at hiding breakouts and redness. I then use a Pur powder blush. I then put Cortibalm on my lips and use Paula Dorff lipstick over it in a color called Havana. It is the only lipstick that stays on and works well on dry lips.

Good luck and, hopefully, your Accutane course will work wonders for you too!

Patience is key
Reviewed on June 6, 2014

I am on week 4 of 16 taking 40mg and 60mg on alternate days. I have mild/moderate but extremely persistent acne on my face and back. It takes 4 weeks for the drug to completely get in to your system and I have read a number of reviews that have said by week 8 you will start seeing improvements. In my experience the first 2-3 weeks were great, skin was quite dry but really clear and smooth. Week 4 the acne has come back and looks quite aggressive. I cant bring myself to go to work or out socially without make up on but I have switched to a thinner foundation (was using doublewear for the coverage!) and mineral powders which aren't as heavy on my skin. I use Cetaphil to clean my face morning and night which i think is great but it isnt a spot treatment so am also using garnier spot roll on treatment with salicylic acid before bed. Also using a L'Occitaine shea butter moisturiser under my make up. Around my chin and nose is extremely dry and my lips are so flaky all the time I am going through so much vaseline and 8 hour cream! Am going on holiday in 3 weeks and taking p20, factor 30 and 50. and a hat!! not worth the risk burning my skin in the sun at this stage. Am praying by the time i come back from hols my skin will start looking good again. Will post again after 8 weeks with an update

Caution!
Reviewed on June 6, 2014

I took Accutane when I was a teenager to clear up my acne and for the most part, it worked. In my teens and twenties, I thought the drug was effective and had only moderate temporary side effects. A word of caution though, you might not be aware of all the side effects of Accutane until well after you've taken it. Personally, I didn't know the full magnitude of the damage it did to me until I was in my thirties. Knowing the damage Accutane did to me and knowing the sheer amount of law suits actively going on against the manufacturer of Accutance, I have to question how accurate the published research is on this drug. From my experience, I would not trust the manufacturers pamphlet list of side effects, or just your Doctors word. If you do want to take this drug, do your own research and make sure you are taking it fully informed.

by clearsoon66 on 07/05/2014 20:15
Hi you wrote that you didn't realise the damaged it did until your thirties. Can you give some examples of the damage it caused?
Helpful, but not a cure for acne
Reviewed on June 2, 2014

I have suffered from acne since I was about 10 years old. After trying many drugstore remedies and topical treatments/antibiotics from my dermatologist I decided to begin a 6 month cycle of accutane (summer-winter of 2010). I suffered dryness of my skin and lips, but it was manageable with aquaphor and cerave moisturizing cream. Because my skin's oil production ceased, I noticed improvement in the appearance of blackheads on my nose and chin and painful cystic acne breakouts on the entire surface of my face and back. However, during the end of the cycle, I became depressed and my personality and mood changed dramatically. I was always sad and I couldn't explainn why. A few months after I stopped taking accutane I noticed the depression subsided and I started to feel normal again. My skin stayed somewhat clear for a few months after taking accutane, but I still experienced breakouts-just not as severe as before. I still see a dermatologist and have been prescribed a number of topical treatments since taking accutane such as:

tazorac gel (0.05% and 0.1%)-helped keep my acne under control, but I still experienced breakouts and blackheads

duac gel-used to spot treat pimples in the morning-helped somewhat

solodyn (minocycline)- for 3 months this past fall; helped clear my skin, but acne returned after the cycle ended

I am currently taking lo lo estrin birth control and using finacea gel in the morning and ziana at night. I started using both topical gels a few days ago, so I have yet to see results, but I am hoping for a relief to my acne once and for all.

Overall, I would recommend accutane to those suffering from acne who cannot find relief from any other type of treatment. However, the side effects are dangerous. Even though my acne was not completely healed from the use of accutane, it has improved my skin greatly and has made me more receptive to the use of topical treatments and antibiotics.

best decision ever!
Reviewed on June 1, 2014

Since you are reading this comment, you are most likely an acne sufferer like myself. You know the lack of self esteem and humiliation this disease cause. I am a 24 years old female with hereditary acne.

I've been suffering for the last 8 years with cystic acne and tried literally EVERYTHING. you name the products, gels, antibiotics, supplements, home remedies. I didn't count but more than 20 different so called "solution".

I was crazy scared about Accutane but agreed on taking it since i was miserable.

BEST DECISION EVER.

I am on month 4 (6 month course) with 40 mg a day, and i couldn't be happier. my skin is clear, smooth, and for the first time god know how long, I stopped putting on any make up.

of course it depends on your metabolism but the side effects are totally overrated. Yes you do feel dryness but it was a great change since my oily skin used to disgust me, but nothing a good moisturizer and eye drops can't fix. I have some back, knee and feet pain when i stand up too long or workout but nothing unbearable. Nothing is worse than the fear of accidently seeing myself on the mirror.

I did not have any initial breakouts, i have only got better day from day. I am anxiously waiting for the final results but trust me when i say , as a very deeply acne sufferer, i honestly can not recommend this enough. If you are scared, just go for it.

This drug changed my life. hope this review change yours.

Reluctant to try it but my skin is clear now
Reviewed on May 25, 2014

I was very reluctant to go on a course of isotretinoin because I tend to be very careful and natural in my lifestyle and healthcare choices. I am a 26 year old female and though I'd had pimples here and there as a teenager (treated with topical clindamycin) last year out of nowhere I had a severe cystic acne breakout. I was on doxycycline for a while, topical tretinoin made things even worse. I kept putting off my dermatologist's urging to use accutane because of the potential side effects. In retrospect, I wish I had done my course sooner because as it is I'm left with hypertropic scarring. I finished my course of myorisan (sp?) four months ago and my skin is returning to more or less pre-cystic acne state (aside from some scarring). My side effects included very dry lips and skin (I used Aveeno's petrolatum ointment all over my face at night, it's not clean and it makes your face sticky but you wake up without flakes of dry skin...), a very achy lower back (my derm. recommended I take costochondroitin, used for arthritis, and this helped somewhat, constipation (just keep drinking as much water as you can...) and generally feeling tired. It wasn't pleasant but my skin is clear now.

I am writing this just because I think I prioritized doing things naturally over my mental well-being. I was very depressed because of my skin and felt bad because I thought that I should be able to fix it if I could just figure out what it was I was eating or doing that was causing the problem. If you can solve your skin woes naturally by all means, do it. But I just want to put out there for anyone who might need to hear it that it's okay to just get rid of the acne and then go back to taking care of yourself naturally.

20 year old Accutane experience (2 years later)
Reviewed on May 8, 2014

Abstract: Bad cystic acne. Accutane treatment starts (2012). Acne gets worse. It feels like torture, but I stay the course. Accutane ends. Acne about 95% clear. Acne gradually reappears during post-Accutane months. Side-effects of Accutane do not persist 2 years later. Acne now at about 75% of what it used to be. Accutane does its job at a price.

Re-occuring and stubborn cystic acne on nose, foreheard, cheeks, and chin. No products work, benzoyl perozide 5% as topical cream worked for a month or so. Doctor recommended I go on a course of 40mg Accutane for 6 months. Started in May 2012.

I have mild eczema and dry skin. My skin gradually got drier and drier. The acne got worse in the initial months, but about 95% of acne was gone. It was a miracle, but it came at a price. About mid summer, there was a point where my eyes would crust in the morning from dryness and rubbing during sleep. There would be dry patches of skin on foreheard, near the joints (underside). I was itchy all the time. I was so tempted to stop at that point...as it was near unbearable. It was self-inflicted torture to put it in plain terms.

2 years later, I don't have any side effects that have resulted from Accutane. My acne is back, but it is not as bad. I'd say it was 75% of what it was before...which is still saddening, but could be worse. I have considered another course of Accutane...but honestly, the torture is not certainly worth the temporary fix for me. I am exploring less intensive treatments now.

All in all, YES it does clear your acne. It will suck. Enjoy :)

Miracle drug
Reviewed on May 8, 2014

cleared my severe acne in just 3 months!!! worth the money and i didn't really have the side effects