Page 4 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 1964 reviews

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

I had painful severe Cystic acne I took accutane for 8 months PRESCRIPTION STRENGTH
Reviewed on February 19, 2015

ABSOLUTELY NO! You should never put something with the potential lethality of this drug. Things like this shouldn't be allowed in my opinion. Proper skin care and taking action to control hormones and stress levels should be a NUMBER 1 priority. You can do this naturally. I had to get my blood drawn every month for 8 months while on this drug. MY ACNE STILL CAME BACK!! but i found a better solution.

I switched over to natural treatments. I no longer deal with these problems ( bows down to nature )

I made a video on treating acne and properly preventing acne

www. youtube /watch?v=JHzIknvKpgo

by deezycain 2015 on 03/05/2015 23:03
What type of other options are there?
by lenz87 on 04/26/2015 18:59
Correction: Accutane is not inherintly a "lethal" drug. But I guess you could also call water lethal, since you could die from ingesting too much.
i need help
Reviewed on February 16, 2015

Hi my name is Oliver

I really need help im 16 yrs old Ive been on accutane for 3 months now and ive seen no improvement.. Yes i touch my face but only recently like few days ago recently because Ive been very patient and I want these pimples on my face to go away [:(] .. This really sucks because honestly I used to be a good looking kid and now with accutane im so ugly. I have no confidence anymore. My initial breakout was horrible and honestly I think im still in it with the exception of like 4 pimple difference.. I have cysts, whites heads, papules, and my face is disclored and red and purple in some spots. I just want to know when it will be over or if i should just stop and use proactive + because it worked for me before but it was just too much commitment so I switched to accutane so I wouldnt have to worry about acne forever. I knew initial breakout and i got it on the 12th day of accutane, I knew it was coming and I expected it to last 1 month or so. I dont know why this is happening to me, yes I am a little awkward and quiet but I swear im nice. im going to keep praying and try to be patient hopefully there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel. ima just give this product a 5 star because i believe it will work lol

by rayrayc31 on 02/17/2015 23:10
Dont worry sweetie it will get better. Please tell your parents and doctor how you are feeling. You shouldnt have to suffer. No matter what happens with the Accutane you will find something that works for you and they are always coming out with new treatments so there is alot of hope. Also know that so many people suffer from acne you are not alone and it will get better.
by kenstrallia on 02/22/2015 06:48
Do not give up! I finished accutane about four months ago and I currently don't have a single pimple on my face. I had really severe acne and my acne stayed really bad all the way until month 4. But in the last month of accutane it finally started to go away. You might have a couple small pimples when you finish accutane but those will go away. Please don't give up and don't go back to proactiv. Stay strong!
by accutaneRUINS on 02/23/2015 01:05
Don't give up! I have the same problem. I am three months into accutane and finding my breakouts pretty bad and my skin is burning! This is my second time on accutane and the first time it worked like a charm! It takes patience!! Good luck
by SC30 on 02/24/2015 06:17
Stick with it Oliver! I finished accutane 2 months ago and it took quite a while for it to really clear my acne but now it's gone. Acne is SO upsetting and really kills your confidence but it will be okay! i don't know what you use now but when I was on it I would use cetaphil gentle cleanser 2-3 times a day with cetaphil or cerave face lotion afterwards. Also, I always try use a clean towel when I dry my face, change my pillow case often and don't touch my face unless I'm washing/lotioning. I cut out dairy and it helped me too, so it could be worth a try. It's gonna be okay and just because you have acne it doesn't mean you aren't good looking! :)
by Jamiii on 03/09/2015 02:13
if your doctor offers acne extractions (pretty much an aesthetician popping your pimples) do it! my insurance covered it and i would get a 10% chemical peel with it... the swelling would go down in about 2-3 days and i would have like 20-30 pimples extracted before my face would swell up and then i would come back again... some doctors dont do this... idk why because it helps i have no perm scaring and i was able to fight the IB off fast. the accutane is pushing everything up --they are just getting it all out. if you're interested but your doctors office doesn't do it salons with aestheticians will do it but it mights be about $80ish good luck --you'll be extremely comfortable and confident soon! Jami
Roaccutane
Reviewed on February 15, 2015

After suffering with persistent acne for 7 years I finally got referred to a dermatologist. My first appointment was in oct 2014 and I got prescribed doxycycline. Not sure why as I have been on this before! He was very against me going on roaccutane as I have suffered with depression in the past. Had my review 2 week ago and this time was a different dermatologist as the previous one had left (thank god!). She straight away recommended roaccutane. Had my blood test done 20 mins later and picked up my prescription the next day. I have never felt so relieved to pick up medication!!! The thought of knowing I was on it was a weight off my shoulder instead of having to beg for it which I had to first time around with the previous dermatologist. I'm now going in to my second week of 20mg and my skin is so dry already and my lips too but my skin has cleared up dramatically already :) I had to go to boots today to buy cetaphil and wow that stuff is brill! Didn't sting or burn like most moisturisers do to my sensitive skin. I am also using burts bees lip balm as carmex wasn't working for me (felt very grainy on my lips). If any of you people are suffering then please ask for roaccutane. And also not all dermatologists are sympathetic :/ I'm just so glad that the second one I seen was female and empathetic as she sympathised with me and knew that I needed this treatment so don't be put off with only one dermatologists opinion!! (You can ask to see a different person). I'm using less make up as previously I would cake it on and even then you would still see the lumps! My foundation is very expensive (Estée Lauder double wear - which is brill for coverage by the way) and with me using less is a pricey bonus :) I'll keep you updated but if you have any questions then I'm here. I know how horrible it is to suffer with acne - physically emotionally and socially!! Hope this helped x

for severe acne- this is the cure!
Reviewed on February 9, 2015

i had severe acne when i was in high school- it was awful- i tried everything- until my dermatologist and i agreed that it was time to try accutane. I have to say this should be the end all be all for acne sufferers. the months that were ahead of me were tough- fortunately i had a great support team including my mother and my dermatologist- the peeling, the dry lips- it was all worth it in the end- my skin looked and felt amazing- it is a rough road but much worth it! i have not had horrible severe acne (going on 9 years since my last treatment)- please make sure that you go over everything with your doctor- prepare for what is ahead, and keep going, there is a lot of support out there for this and i highly recommend you go over this clearly with your doctor

Best decision ever
Reviewed on February 5, 2015

I'm a 17 year old girl and I had constant issues with my skin before accutane. I would get the occasional cystic zit and besides those I just had constant break outs where I would get 5-10 new zits a week. I had tried just about EVERY medication on the market from topical to oral. They all seemed to lessen the breakouts for a few months until my body got used to them and the acne returned. My daily routine consisted of caking on makeup to cover my acne, only making it worse. At night it took me about an hour to get ready for bed because of my lengthy skin care routine. These topical gels just caused my face to become very oily on top of the oily skin I already had. And I mean oily. My face looked like I just jumped out of the shower. I finally got to the pont where my dermatologist recommended me for accutane and let me tell you that was the best decision I've made in my entire life. I went on accutane and after about 3 months I started seeing a lessening in the breakouts as well as a complete loss of my oily skin. I was on accutane for about 7 months and at the end of my accutane journey I had not gotten a zit in about 3 months(a miracle for me). I have now been off accutane for about 5 months and my skin still looks impeccable. In fact, it's still getting better. Now, if I get a zit it goes away within 3 days and does not leave a mark. I now simply use lotion for skin care with the occasional retin-A on a small zit and that is it. It now takes me 10 minutes to do my makeup where it used to take me 30. I Know this sounds cheesy but its such an amazing feeling to look in the mirror and see your natural beauty as opposed to the 10 zits on your face. I am so much more confident and I still do not have oily skin until the end of the day( and only mild). I highly recommend accutane. I was extremely worried about the sideeffects and impact on my emotions but I did not have any problems during my accutane course(despite blood tests, gross). I did however have extremely dry skin especially when young my dosage from 40 every day to 40 one day 80 every other day. Be aware, a small nudge against a wall will peel your skin off. Keep a lotion on your skin and make sure you use sun screen!!!!!!! I burned even with spf 100. Also if you get a zit, DO NOT SQUEEZE. I know, that's the oldest cliche but on accutane it's super important you don't squeeze because it will peel off skin around the zit leaving a large scabby scrape on your face that is very hard to cover(it looks awful). If you do get one of these put aquaphor on it and leave it for as long as possible( overnight is recommended). Do it evey day until it goes away(should take up to 4-5days). Aquaphor was my best friend on accutane. Anyways, overall message: I HIGHLY recommend accutane. It was the best decision I've made in my life thus far. I feel so much more confident and beautiful.

by jayceeleggitt on 02/05/2015 04:12
Cera Ve face wash and lotion are amazing while on accutane and off! Very gentle and no medicines in them. As for makeup I use neutrogena blemish control concealer because I have a red undertone and neutrogena mineral sheets powder.
by Rinpanjang01 on 02/08/2015 08:33
hi... i am 28yo female who in 14 days of accutane. I have a bad IB now :( do you face the same thing as well? how long it takes on you? and how you deal with it? i feel i don't want to go out of my room because of this IB. thanks...
Best decision I have ever made
Reviewed on January 30, 2015

I am a 32 yo female who has had worsening cystic acne from about 25. Having progressed through all the usual over the counter products and also prescription medication like retin a, my GP referred me to a derm for the 'last resort'. And I am so glad she did- 6 months later I have perfect skin for the first time in years. I took 20mg a day for the first months and 40mg a day after that (I am finishing my course in the next month or so).

I have experienced a number of the usual side effects- dry lips, headache for the first two weeks, and occasional eczema on my hands when I don't moisturise enough- but none of them have been unmanageable. Remembering to drink lots of water and moisturise, moisturise, moisturise are the key.

I was scared to take this medication for so long because of all the negative press, however I wish I had taken in years ago.

If you are considering this medication I would suggest finding a good dermatologist and talking through the pros and cons with them to see if it might be a good fit for you. And if you decide it is, go for it and don't look back!

A note on costs- in Australia this medication costs me around $35 for a box of 60 20mg capsules.

Took accutane 32 years ago, really glad I did
Reviewed on January 28, 2015

I just turned 50. Accutane was new at the time I tried it. I suffered severe acne on my face, back, and chest that was getting progressively worse despite all treatments. It was painful, embarrassing, and pretty much ruined most of high school for me.

I started accutane when I was 17/18 and was on it for 6 months with regular monitoring and blood checks. Side effects were similar to others with headaches, joint aches, dry lips and skin, and sensitivity to sun. I recall there was little improvement for the first 4 months. In fact I was so frustrated I started taking more than prescribed. Luckly my Dr discovered this quickly and freaked me out with descriptions of all the dire consequences that result from taking too much.

After I completed treatment, all acne was gone for at least a couple years. It felt amazing. I would get occasional pimples after that but nothing compared to what I experienced before treatment. I am a healthy fit male and I don't believe I have suffered any long term side effects. My sons are hitting teen age years now and if I see them starting to experience severe acne like I did, I will aggressively push the accutane route.

by smiles23 on 03/09/2015 00:50
I'm really impressed to read this. I went on "ask a patient" and most post-accutane users said they've been experiencing side effects 10-20 years after taking it. Much be a person's genetic composition that plays a role in how a body reacts negatively or positively to accutane. Happy it worked for you :) Unfortunately my side effects were too much to bare after 3 days I had to quit. Neostrata has cleared me up though!
Accutane (isotretinoin) experience, still grateful
Reviewed on January 26, 2015

For anyone who is experiencing moderate to severe acne, do not let anyone convince you that it is unreasonable to suffer extensively from this disease. Acne is a real problem; and anyone who doesn't understand this concept, needs to experience uncontrollable bacteria erupting from their face or other body parts for several years. I empathize with acne sufferers because I experienced the agony and disruption my cystic acne caused when I was 14 years old. Life as as a teenage female was hard enough and I am sure it's much harder now. Even as a 46 year old after all of these years, I continue to believe Accutane prevented a much worse outcome.

Having stated my opinion, it important to respect Accutane. As with any drug, adverse effects exist. One must fully understand the detailed information that accompanies Accutane. Dangerous side effects may result in some patients taking this medication. Therefore, specified rules have to be followed. I never missed scheduled labs or dermatology appointments for triglyceride, pregnancy, mood monitoring, etc. There are other side effects such as dry lips, dry forearms, and extreme sun sensitivity. Although these effects were minimal for me compared to the agony during the days of my cystic acne; I still treated this medication delicately.

If considering this medication, please consider risks vs benefits. Make sure other acne treatments have been tried & failed, and maintain an open & trusting relationship with your dermatologist. Looking back I would never change my decision to take Accutane. Fortunately, I had a very open relationship with my mother & dermatologist. I also was not sexually active during treatment-Accutane is teratogenic; meaning it WILL cause severe birth defects if pregnancy occurs during or around treatment. This medication changed my life. My face would be permanently scarred without Accutane. I hope it remains available to change another person's life for the better.

acne for over 2 decades
Reviewed on January 22, 2015

I am 39 years old will be 40 this year, I am writing this to share my experience with other people who have or are struggling like me. I have tried everything nothing has worked, I started having acne at the age of 12, it was bad in my teens got even worst in my twenties tried diannette which worked really well after 10 years on it I started having gross angioedema of the face lips tongue hands and feet after a few trips to accident and emergency I got off it. My Gp still insists theres no relation.

had my children in my thirties, suffered unbelievably severe acne, by this time I was an expert at covering up. not even husband could see me without make up. I would go to bed with make up, when he fell asleep would go wash it off, wake up before h im to apply make up so he did not have to see the mess called my face. I have been on antidepressants not because I am really depressed but because I am fed up and down about the acne.

after many battles with my GP I finally got him to refer me to a dermatologist, I was after Accutane. I know all the risks but the possibility of the next two decades of my life in this state is unthinkable. I have started Accutane I am in my first week. my lips are a bit dry, my acne is getting worse as the moment but I am covering up and hanging in there. hoping for the best. I am on 20 mg for two weeks then 40 for two weeks bloods then 60 mg for the remainder of the treatment. the plan is to have bloods every 4 weeks.

to anyone out there with persistent acne, do not wait as long as me to get help, feeling horrid about acne is not frivolous, acne can really make one unhappy, insecure, and depressed.

I will keep you updated about my experience.

by stopthisacne on 01/24/2015 04:31
Hope you do fine. My son is about to start as well let us know if you have ant side effects.
by pisces777 on 01/27/2015 03:39
Thank you for sharing your story, and reinforcing my decision to try this drug. I can completely relate on battling with the docs to let me try this. Exhausted EVERY possible option. Light therapy, topicals, diet, antibiotics, birth control, allergy testing, holistic supplements (half of these made my skin WORSE and more prone to scarring). Only the birth control has helped a bit. Anyway I'm trying my best to ignore the potential side effects and be excited about a future without acne. At this point any risk is worth it (sounds bad but it can be hell on earth and drive you into a deep depression). My only regret is not trying it sooner and preventing all the scars that have accumulated on my face, shoulders, entire back. Ice pick kinds are the worst. Planning on some laser scar removal after my treatment.
My accutane experience!
Reviewed on January 19, 2015

I did Accutane a couple of years ago after suffering with acne for YEARS. I was really nervous about taking it (I remember reading these forums all the time and doing a lot of research) and I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are doing the same thing, so I feel like I need to write about my experience. This is my first time back on here since I finished Accutane (because I haven't thought about acne since!) but I felt like I needed to write something...because it might help someone else!

I'm 25 now. I had a little bit of trouble with acne in high school, but started to get progressively worse during my freshman year of college. I tried everything...OTC products, changed makeup, stopped wearing makeup, antibiotics, spironolactone, dietary changes, prescription topicals...EVERYTHING. I still have two grocery bags full of leftover acne treatments. 4 years later...graduation and my acne had gotten so bad that I felt embarrassed to do job interviews, and it made me really self conscious around people. I like to run, and I think I actually got used to my face burning when I worked out (those topicals are rough!)

My dermatologist finally brought up Accutane after she said there was literally nothing else I could try. Honestly, I thought Accutane was out of the question because I knew I had to be on birth control...which I basically can't do because I have Factor V Leiden (clotting disorder, estrogen-based BC puts me at risk for clots) The doctor I went to was comfortable with prescribing Accutane as long as I pledged to be abstinent while being treated, which at the time wasn't an issue for me (apparently not all derms are comfortable with this...my sister saw a dermatologist who refused to prescribe it unless she took BC)

Another obstacle was cost. My insurance wouldn't kick in for prescriptions until I hit my deductible. So I paid out of pocket for the first two prescriptions (~$700 each...could've got a new laptop or something instead, but whatever) After that I think they were about $50 for each prescription. My dermatologist said the higher dosage (60mg I think?) actually costs less than the 30mg dosage...so she ended up prescribing me 60mg, but told me only to take it every other day.

Long story short, it took a few months and a lot of lotion and lip balm, but 6 months later I was acne-free (and years later, I still am!!!) I think I was still getting zits until around month 5, so it definitely took some patience. But it made such a difference in my life. As far as makeup, I wear nothing on my face now except a tinted moisturizer and undereye concealer (because I DON'T NEED IT! It's fantastic!) I use Cetaphil facewash and moisturizer at night...no more money wasted on products that don't work. I get the occasional small blemish when I have my period, and that's it. It's honestly been a life changer.

By the way, Eucerin lotion and Aquaphor lip balm worked best for me...your skin and lips really dry out. I had some trouble with dry skin patches that turned into a rash on my arms at one point during treatment (kind of looked like eczema)...dermatologist gave me an rx for Triamcinolone cream which cleared it up. The only weird side effect that I had was some trouble with mild lower back pain during treatment, but it resolved itself shortly after I finished. And yeah, the ipledge program and labwork every month is a pain, but if you have trouble with bad acne you know it's a small price. My bloodwork results stayed perfect throughout treatment, by the way...I think my total cholesterol went up a few points, but it was also pretty good to begin with!

So yes, Accutane can be a dangerous medication and it should be properly monitored, and people should be fully aware of the risks. Risk vs. benefit...this med is reserved for people who have tried everything else.

All meds have side effects, most have warnings about problems that they CAN cause. You'll probably read horror stories in your research about people that had bad luck with Accutane, but not every medication is right for every person. There are horror stories about pretty much any medication on the market.

But if you're at the end of your rope like I was, it really is worth a discussion with your dermatologist. Changed my life! Good luck everyone!