Page 4 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2087 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Just Say No
Reviewed on October 5, 2016

First of all let me just say that I am happy (and really shocked) to see that this drug works for some people. Truly, I am happy that it has “cured” people, given them their lives back and didn’t have the negative repercussions that I have experienced. Generally speaking, when I tell people about my own experience on accutane, there is nothing very joyful about it.

My situation was that accutane was my “last resort”and unfortunately for me, it got to that point. When I was 17 my mother took me to the dermatologist very hesitantly but it was clear that my acne was so bad that it was clear that I was going to have life long physical scarring because of it.

At first, they put me on 40mg per day and after about 6 months, I went up to 60mg/day due to being on the heavier side of things and the fact that I still didn’t have clear skin at 40mg.

Within the first… I don’t know…month I would say, I saw a marked difference in my acne. But the breakouts didn’t stop - they just got less bad if that makes any sense. Then they up’d my dose and I stayed on that for 6 more months (so total a year). On the higher dose, my back acne got almost entirely clear and my face looked great - but with loads of side effects - more on that in a second. After 6 months on the 60mg, my dr took me off of the drug due to the high dosage. He said that likely, my acne would not come back. After enduring the pain of acne and then the pain of the side effects of accuntane, hearing that I wouldn’t have it again almost made me cry.

So fast forward 6 months, my back did stay clear and for that I am grateful. but my face acne DID come back and almost as bad as it was before. My dr suggested another round of accutane but honestly, I just couldn’t bear knowing how miserable I would be while on it. My side effects included: CONSTANT dry eyes. Scaley skin. Chapped lips to the point of bleeding on a daily basis. Dry mouth…no amount of water could quench my thirst. And finally - depression. While I was on it and had clear skin, I was just depressed. Now, almost 2 years later, I still find myself battling depression which is something I have never experienced before, even at the height of my acne. So I said no. Plus I had heard that prolonged use was bad for future reproduction and I knew I definitely wanted kids.

Sorry for the novel here. I am passionate when it comes to this subject.

My back acne never came back. My face is the clearest it has ever been and honestly, you can hardly tell any scarring at all but it is NOT due to accutane. About a year back I found a company called Ninja Skincare and their products worked for me when none, no other product ever, including this terrible drug, worked. They are topical, don’t cause liver damage (yay!) are affordable and the people there are amazing. I found my best skin that I have had since before puberty.

What ever choice you make when trying to heal your skin I just beg you to please try EVERYTHING before you try accutane. Maybe, hopefully, you can find something that works for you without the invasive drugs. The lasting side effects of this particular drug are incredible and just not worth the temporary clear skin.

by Gladiatoro on 10/18/2016 19:25
You would be correct.
Best thing I decided!
Reviewed on September 25, 2016

I've been on Roaccutane/Isotretinoin for 5 months now and it is honestly the best choice I ever made for my skin. I had acne for 7 years and tried everything, from being on antibiotics for 2 years and trying all different types of creams/gels I could find. I knew that none of these would really work, because after having acne for a while you understand that it is coming from the inside, not just from the surface of your skin. I would sit there for hours searching about Roaccutane but all it really did was scare me and it put me off even thinking about going on it. I was so tired of looking at myself in the mirror and being so self conscious about my skin when out in public (even in front of my own family), I knew I had to really make a change. So after 2 years of thinking about this drug, I decided to go to my doctors and begin my roaccutane journey (and also stopped searching about all the negative side effects). I knew of all the side effects of being on this drug, but all I could think now was why put yourself through hating your skin so much and for so long, when you can just put up with whatever side effects you will get but you will end up with nice skin!. In my first month of taking the pills (i started on 20mg), I actually saw a change in my skin and had no side effects. As the weeks went on I still had no side effects, I would break out a bit still (but that happens in the first month or 2 of taking this). I was already obsessed with moisturising my skin and lips anyways that I actually didn't experience any severe dryness. I then asked the doctor to give me a higher dosage, so she gave me 25mg because she said I was doing so well that she didn't want to put it up too high. Highering my dosage obviously meant I broke out a bit again but it all went down after a month and a half of being on it. If you are going to take this drug then you need to moisturising a lot of your skin and lips! and that doesn't mean using a light moisturiser! I use the cerave one which is really thick so I still don't see any dryness on my skin and I put chapstick/vaseline on at every chance I can get. When your doctor says DON'T USE OIL, use only oil free products seriously don't use it. You're just reversing the whole purpose of the drug itself. And you need to drink lot of water! (1 litre at least a day). Just because you read of someone's bad experience, does not mean that you will have the same. Don't be scared to try it, otherwise you're not going to get those results you want. I'm so happy I'm on it, I haven't seen my skin this well in over 7 years and I still have a bit more to go. If your side effects are severe then you just stop taking them. You can get through a bit of dryness to get to being happy with your skin!

Increased the severity and painfulness of my acne.
Reviewed on September 5, 2016

I was on a 60mg dose overseen by a dermatologist back in 2002, I was 20 years old 60kg and my acne was moderately bad. This stuff made it severe and painful and the doctor even took photographic evidence because the increase in severity was so dramatic. I was on it for several months trying to give it a chance (it gets worse before it gets better etc) but had to come off because of the pain and increase of severity of my acne.

I also developed IBS several months later for which I was hospitalised due to the pain and still suffer to this day, I do not know if it was 100% related to the treatment or prolonged antibiotic use after Roaccutane or just pure coincidence but it is worth mentioning.

I know how it feels to want a miracle cure for acne and I realise it works for some, but please explore as many safer alternatives first especially if you do not have the severest form of acne, this is an extremely potent and unpredictable drug and has the potential to make you worse (which is any acne sufferers worst nightmare) and can potentially give you additional chronic life long side effects. Good luck. x

by Gladiatoro on 11/17/2016 20:51
Don't take this unless you look like a beast even then life might be better without tan . Side effects are life long be warned.
It Really works! Changed my life! :D
Reviewed on August 26, 2016

Taking Accutane/Isotretinoin was the Best Decision I made! I had Moderate acne and very oily skin and now my Face, back, and chest are Clear! My only side effects were dry lips my hair started to thin my last month of treatment. I took it for 5 & 1/2 months, did not see a Dr and bought it off the internet. The Depo shot was my Birth control while taking it. I figured out my own dosage by how much I weighted and I started with 20 mg a day just to get used to it. Then went to 40 mg a day after a month. Then I finished my last 3 months with 60 mg a day, which was the correct dosage for my weight. 130 pounds. I avoided taking Vitamin A and drank plenty of water to help hydrate my skin. The best money I spent as well, compared to the years I spent trying everything else. I was tired of my acne killing my self-esteem, always covering up my chest and back, ashamed to take pictures. I know that depression is a potential symptom, but Taking Isotretinoin brought me nothing but happiness! I started seeing results in the first month. My pores shrank and my oily face and hair dramatically changed too. I have been off the medicine for a month and a half now still No acne at all, like not even one! My hair is back to normal now too, not as oily as it used to be. Overall I would strongly recommend it! But of course do a lot of research to see if it's right for you. But it is possible to take without a Dr. or dermatologist and without taking all the pregnancy & blood tests. Anyway hope this was helpful. Best of luck getting acne free! :D

by Tscott9213 on 09/12/2016 06:15
Where did you purchase it online if you do not mind me asking I would love to try also sick of acne ruining my life
by CysticZen on 09/15/2016 03:38
This is VERY DANGEROUS without blood tests and monitoring with a doctor. Please do not follow this woman's advice. You will risk permanent damage to your liver.
by Finals11 on 10/08/2016 12:53
Hey Diana, where did you purchase your accutane online? Thanks!
by sota on 11/29/2016 07:10
i like everything you said except for taking without doctor. especially if you're a female you've to be careful not to get pregnant and be on birth control and all that. consider seeing a doctor guys please!!
There are safer alternatives
Reviewed on August 18, 2016

My Dr. put me on Accutane when I was around 19 years old. My acne got significantly worse and then my face dried out like crazy. I was pimple free for a while but this wears off and they come back. My nephew also was placed on this recently and his acne also got significantly worse, leaving scars. He also dried up around his lips and it was a very long healing process. The side effects are terrible and there are reasons why this has been recalled. Google Accutane Recall.

I get it and although this seems like an easy fix, there are safer alternatives, including a clean diet and using the correct face products along with vitamins.

I believe that in order to be acne free you must make lifestyle and environmental changes. Your skin will look amazing and your energy and overall physical appearance will also improve significantly.

Val

Owner of AcneFreeProducts

by Gladiatoro on 08/23/2016 19:49
You would be correct , this drug needs to be banned , the side effects are life long.
by Ayrton on 02/19/2017 11:30
I completely disagree with a ban, however, you should take at your own risk. It changed my lifestyle and I've been acne free ever since I took accutane. Oh, did I also mention my diet was entirely natural and organic foods? That didn't help get rid of my acne as you claim that's all you need. Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean to ban it and make it not work for millions of others.
I love it, but acne comes back.
Reviewed on August 12, 2016

For someone with hormonal acne, it isn't a long term solution for your problems. However, if you have horrible severe cystic acne, like how I did, you need to use this because it is the first step towards healing your skin.

I went on Accutane at the beginning of my senior year and by prom my skin was glowing and perfect. 3 years later, my skin has gotten worse and worse again, but that's okay because I've found other great products work wonders for my skin.

My side effects:

dry eyes (used eyedrops daily)

dry nose (a few nose bleeds)

horrible dry lips (not much that can be done besides drinking water and lip balm)

red, blushing skin

occasional constipation

blisters if I spend the day outside and forgot sunscreen

dry hair (I would only wash my hair like once a week)

Honestly, having these side effects was 100% totally worth having clear skin.

Tough but worth the results
Reviewed on August 11, 2016

Background info- I'm 23 female and have been suffering from acne since the age of 17; my self esteem went to pot rather quick because of it.

I was put on several different creams for months at a time, this made no difference. I was then put on four different medications (anything up to 6-8 months on each one) with absolutely no success.

I went through stages of depression in relation to my acne and it did eventually cause me to lose my job.

I was then referred to a hospital and after a VERY long process of appointments I was put on Accutane .

Week one on Accutane :

my face chest and back are very much covered in acne. Taking 20mg a day of Accutane

Week two:

Accutane caused a flare up on my face, more spots than usual around mouth and chin area, have noticed the skin on my face to be peeling in certain areas, mostly on my forehead and lips.

Week three:

Very dry lips, needing to use loads of lip balm all the time, still many spots around my face. Skin is peeling a LOT on my face- literally comes off like when you get bad sun burn, is a little saw and tacky when it does peel off, still got spots on my face and back.

Week four:

Chest area seems to be clearing slightly, lips are terribly dry, have been getting nose bleeds (never usually get them). Face spots are still there but haven't actually noticed any new ones in a couple of days.

Week five and six:

Now on 40mg a day. By the end of the week pretty much all my spots have gone. Still dry lips , very dry scalp and skin overall. Nose bleeds have gone. Have been experiencing back pains and aches but this might just be a coincidence. Skin does peel in places and is a little sensitive in those areas.

Weeks seven to nine:

Still on and remaining on 40mg. Sides of my mouth are constantly dry and cracking, lips still dry but all spots gone and no signs of new ones. My skin very easily breaks and will often find small bleeding cuts on my arms from only doing usual day to day things .

Week ten +

Still have one more month to go on Accutane but the results are remaining constant at the moment - no spots at all for the first time in years! The Accutane has been a very strong and difficult drug to take and I wouldn't say it has been easy because it hasn't - but I am loving the results and if I had to go back and do it all again, I would chose to take the Accutane again 100%!!

Some tips I have picked up along the way:

Drink loads of water- it really does help

Use a 'hydration' shampoo and conditioner as you might find you get dry scalp

Get a load of good lip balms and put one in evey bag and coat pocket you own

Use dermol (can buy in any pharmacy) on dry areas of skin at night

Use a good face cream every day and night

Always carry a cream in your bag

If your hands get tacky like mine did then put a small amount of talc powder on them before you do your hair (makes life a little easier)

Use a hydrating face wash and scrub morning and night to keep your skin clean and to get rid of the skin that does peel off

Always use a clean towel only for your face

Take extra vitamins (I take vitamin C and zinc ) But do NOT take vitamin A!

And finally have faith that Accutane might work for you, after my skin flared up in the first batch I was taking I became so upset I cried literally for days but I continued to take Accutane and I'll never regret it!

Still taking- definitely worth it
Reviewed on August 6, 2016

I'm a 19yr female, i started taking roaccutane in april this year. I started at 20mg a day because of my weight, i'm very thin, i have to say that even on the LOWEST dose my skin improved massively. I had dreadfully severe cystic acne in which case was progessively worsening as i grew older. The first time i experienced acne i was 14 years old and i used all sorts of antibiotics and topicals and face washes etc but nothing really worked. I kept doing this in hopes that my acne would go away when im older however it just got worse.

When i found out about roaccutane i really didnt care much about the side effects as i was at my lowest point in life. My acne was disgusting i had huge cysts on my face and sometimes going in the shower would cause them to pop and i would just have pus pouring from my face (ew gross i know). So i went to the GP without make up on which for me was very hard to do and showed my GP my acne and he said he would be happy to refer me to a derm. Like i said i had severe cystic acne, it was all over my cheeks and i did get other spots/pimples on my chin and around my mouth. I also had it on my back all the way down to my waist and on the top of my arms and occasionally on the very top of my crotch area and in between my breasts.

Starting at 20mg a day for 3 months MASSIVELY reduced my acne and i am now completely free of acne from everywhere apart from the top of my back (just a few small spots/pimples nothing too bad). Im now on my 4th month of roaccutane and my dose has been upped to 40mg per day and its really working for me. Yes i have side effects which result in my lips being very dry, skin is dry but not too bad, joints do get a bit painful here and there and i am very sensitve meaning i will cry over dumb things that i dont really need to cry about. E.g other day i missed a bus and it got me really worked up have no idea why lol. But all in all im only 4 months in and i have to say its working and im sooo much more confident now, ive had compliments on my complexion now more than i ever have in my entire life and i just look great and i feel great and if you are feeling stuck and tired and depressed about your acne i highly reccomend that you speak to your GP or a derm about Roaccutane because honestly I'm extremely happy that my skin is free from it.

Awful side effects but worth it
Reviewed on August 4, 2016

background info- female, 17 yo, tried 5 different antibiotics and several topical creams before being referred to the dermatologist by the GP. I live in the UK so I recieved a 4 month treatment of 40mg per day roaccutane for free on the NHS after about a 4 month wait.

PROS

completely clear skin after 4 months

during treatment my hair got much less greasy and barely needed washing. However this stopped after i finished my course

CONS

dry skin everywhere, although was manageable with a lot of moisturiser and lip balm

eczema on arms, back of knees, and hands

severe back pain lasting the whole duration of the course, couldn't be helped by physiotherapy

(the worst side effect) irratable bowel syndrome. Severe pain while passing stools (to the extent of crying), constipation and blood when I wiped. Was severly debilitating and made me afraid of going to the loo for 4 months

SUMMARY

despite the awful side effects, I do not at all regret taking roaccutane even though i only had mild-moderate acne as it increased by confidence SO much

Didn't work
Reviewed on February 4, 2016

i had severe acne and ive have suffered from acne since i was 18 i tried so many acne products and vitamins it didnt work so i went to see my derm and got prescribed this medication after that i saw the result it cleared all acne off and no side effect for me ...it works!!

Update:

My acne came back after 6 months and now it's even worse than before. My body didn't feel good on Isotretinoin and I'm considering taking another course of it but I'm not sure

by Rosebud777 on 02/06/2016 21:09
What mg were you on? Just curious?