Page 3 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2026 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

1 month in....
Reviewed on February 29, 2016

been on isotretinoin for about 1 month now and my skin started to have less redness although no actual acne was gone then another cyst on my left cheek and one under another on my right cheek so that sucks. my blackheads have been more prone to coming out for example before i could squeeze them and they woudlnt budge now if i squeexe them they come out...at least the ones on my cheeks not my nose... wihtin the first 3 days my lips were really dry and i started applying aquaphor which is a life savor btw.... 2 weeks in it looked like i was sunburnt and all my skin was peeling. IB is settling down..which happening by the 10 day mark i think...im not yet sure wether or not i would reccomend or if my current rating fits my experience but for now...we shall see.....

The only thing that really works for me
Reviewed on February 23, 2016

Well, I should preface this by saying it works WHILE I'm on it, and for about two or three months after, but I start breaking out again after that. This is possibly because I've only ever been on a low dose (20mg). Accutane works extremely fast for me, I experience clearing within two weeks, and often nearly perfect skin within 1 month. Yes I get a little dry skin and lips but it's not bad. I imagine if I took a higher dose it would be a problem. I've been on it three times for very long courses. I haven't suffered any health side effects from it or anything. I'm probably going to go on it again soon, because I just can't figure out why I keep breaking out. :( It's definitely hormonal, all on my chin and jaw and forehead. I'm trying DIM right now and will give it 2-3 months but if it's a no go, I'm doing Accutane again. It's extremely hard to live with a zitty face that I can't even cover with makeup .. you all know how it can make you feel like less of a person. My self esteem suffers so completely when it's bad like this. Thank you Accutane!

Its been 4 months and no sign of improvements. Should i abandon?
Reviewed on February 22, 2016

I'm not reviewing it rather seeking opinion. I'm 24 year old and battling acne for the last 4 years. My acne turned severe in 2012 prior to that it was moderate. I'm on my 4th Dermatologist now. Needless to say that I've tried every medicine prescribed including Proactiv yet nothing worked. It was my 3rd Dermatologist who prescribed Isotretinoin. He is supposed to be the best in the whole state also most expensive. Its been 4 months now yet there is no significant improvement. I still get whiteheads and my scars are ugly. To some extent it has reduced but my face is still worse with scars. Now I'm going to a different Doctor who has switched me to Benzoyl peroxide. I'm scared as hell and hopeless. I really do not know what to do. My self esteem has taken a hit and the last time I attended a social even was back in 2013. My Doc is telling me to stop Isotretinoin. Somebody please suggest something

by MeganPatricia on 04/06/2016 11:49
Hello. Have you noticed any improvement since writing you post above? I know how horrible it is having flare up. My derm has just told me roaccutane is my only option but I'm not sure whether i can cope with the side effects if theres no guarantee it will work so I was just wondering if you had found something that has helped you. My scaring is already really bad and it sounds as though this made it worse for you? I hope you have found something that helps
the only thing that helped me
Reviewed on February 18, 2016

I tried everything for my severe acne, and accutane was the only thing that helped, even though it took a long time for me to see results. I had 20 cysts on my cheek before starting, and now just have one tiny papule.

don't be discouraged if you don't see results fast, it takes time. I didn't stop getting painful cysts until the fourth month.

I have lots of red marks, but I'm slowly getting my confidence back. for me, the side effects were worth getting rid of the intense psychological pain and destroyed self esteem acne was causing me.

Wouldn't reccommend
Reviewed on February 18, 2016

After trying just about everything under the sun I decided there was no other choice but to revert to Accutane. I'm 31 and have had cystic acne since I was 18.

Unfortunately it did not cure my cystic acne however the 9 months I was using the drug it did improve my skin by around 50%. Now that I am off it my skin has gone back to being inflamed and red. Very frustrating.

Given the noticeable side-effects and damage it does on your internal organs I would advise people to stay away. Soon enough someone will have to break the acne-vinci code, hopefully it isn't too long.

Can you help me?
Reviewed on February 17, 2016

I have not started using it yet, but i want to knw of the side effects that I am hearing about. I have suffered cystic acne all over my body for 7 years now. I am a senior in high school and I am ready to be done with acne.

amazing
Reviewed on February 4, 2016

i had severe acne and ive have suffered from acne since i was 18 i tried so many acne products and vitamins it didnt work so i went to see my derm and got prescribed this medication after that i saw the result it cleared all acne off and no side effect for me ...it works!!

by Rosebud777 on 02/06/2016 21:09
What mg were you on? Just curious?
IT WORKED BUT...
Reviewed on January 29, 2016

i had suffered acne for long time and when i started to take accutane for 1 month i got wondelful result it cleared off!! BUT while taking the medication I had very dry lips, skin and very smelly pee so i stopped the medication and then break out again!! it was relapse...

First time using Isonoin
Reviewed on January 19, 2016

Hi guys! This is my 2nd day taking Isonoin. Please do check out my status over at my profile and if you can suggest anything from the status I just posted that will be so helpful. I am so scared to be on this journey alone. I would love to have opinions and encouraging words from you guys who have experienced what I am going through right now. :(

Thank you! I hope this will be the answer to my acne problem.

by BubbleTea86 on 02/02/2016 22:52
Hi! :) I just wanted to say, you are not alone and Isonoin will help your acne. It will be a little bit of a journey to get through but it will have positive results! I am on accutane right now too and I just started a week ago. This is my second time being on accutane (last time, there was a 50% chance it would come back after my first course, and my acne came back but after this course now my acne will be gone). Good Luck! :)
by DrivenBobcat on 02/29/2016 22:22
i started the 9th and i would love to talk since this is my first experience with isotretinoin and maybe getting rid of my acne,....
Works
Reviewed on January 10, 2016

I used Accutane when I was 15. It cured my severe cystic acne for probably 4 years. I have struggled with cystic acne off and on since then, though it has never been as bad as it was before Accutane. The only reason I am hesitant to do another round is because of the severe purging that took 8 - 10 weeks. This apparently doesn't happen to everyone. If you can survive the purging, go for it. I would do it again if I could hide in a bunker for the first 3 months.