Page 3 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2086 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Works very well
Reviewed on December 12, 2016

It is a very good product. It starts working immediately and you can see the signs very quickly. You will stop getting breakouts almost as you start taking the pills. This is because it will make your skin very dry. Like very very dry. So use moisturizers, sunscreen and lip balm as much as you can. They will probably start you off with a small dose and then increase it. I had to do blood tests every month to make sure no side effects were happening. And nothing did except for the dry skin. After a while my skin was very clear. So i stopped taking the pill. A bit of acne started coming back afterwards but now with use of creams it's under control. So overall a very good product. Defenitley saved me during high school. Would recommend it for anyone with bad acne

Worked but didn't last
Reviewed on November 22, 2016

Started working immediately, no initial breakout, minimum side effects beyond chapped lips and dry eyes at times. I was taking 30 mg for 10 months. Acne stayed away for 10 months after I finished the course, started coming back slowly. Now it is back, not a severe as before but still not great.

I am 31 year old female and had acne when I was younger. Managed to keep it under control with Yasmine over some 14 years but it came back pretty strongly after I got off of it which is when I went on accutane. I read that unfortunately for woman in their 30s the results of accutane usually don't stick.

I am currently taking Vitex. It seems to be managing my acne somewhat but not completely- still have bad days, but not life ruining. I have been on it for two months. Going to try pairing it with Estroblock and see what happens.

Amazing
Reviewed on August 11, 2016

I'm a 19 year old female and have been on Accutane for a bit over 3 months now and it is the best thing I have ever done. I used to have mild acne and everyday I would be waking up with 2 or 3 new huge pimples. After about 2 months my skin was pretty much clear and now it is perfect and I still have another 8 months left on it. I'm currently on 20mg a day and will be starting 40 mg a day in about a month. I've maybe had about 2 or 3 pimples (around that time of the month) since I started and they have only been tiny ones that have quickly cleared up. I haven't had any side effects that people warned me about, no dryness at all, not even on my lips. I had quite oily skin before and now it is just completely normal. I am so happy and so much more confident, I hardly ever wear makeup now when before I would not let anyone see me without it. Highly recommended it to anyone, can't believe it took me this long to try it. Changed my life.

**UPDATE**

I am now on my seventh month and everything is still going amazing. I've been on 40mg a day for the last two months and my skin is amazing i can't even begin to say how happy I am. Only issue I've had is my lips have been peeling slightly, they aren't dry or cracked or sore the skin just peels off, but I started using Blistex intensive repair and haven't had an issue since! Totally worth it

Just be patient
Reviewed on November 20, 2016

I remember when my acne got so bad that I didn't want to go outside anymore.. I didn't want anyone to see me. I tried essentially every single over the counter and prescription acne medication on the market. My dermatologist was an older woman who really didn't want me to take accutane because of the side effects that may come with it. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore, everything she had been prescribing me wasn't working. I went to a different dermatologist that took one look at me and said you need accutane. I think like all people that start accutane it's such a talked about pill you almost expect it to immediately start working. I started on fourty milligrams of accutane, then my face within the first month went crazy! My acne hit me with full force. I have never felt so low in my life I had around fifty cystic pimples on my face.. it felt almost impossible to deal with. My dermatologist bumped me up to 60 and then all the way up to 80. I was on accutane for about eight months and it wasn't until my sixth month of accutane that my face started really clearing. By the eighth month I had absolutely no pimples. None whatsoever. I mean it was the most life changing thing for me. I used to read these reviews and say accutane isn't going to work for me like it did for everyone else. My advice is just hang in there, seriously it will get better. I followed up accutane with retin-a and now you can't even tell I ever had acne, something I didn't think was possible. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

by strugglecity on 02/03/2017 22:43
I had a very very similar experience. The first month or two of accurate was the absolute worst I have EVER seen my skin. Looking back at pictures makes me cringe. I broke out over my entire face all at once, in places I never had acne before. For me the obvious purging did not stop until month 3 or 4. Around month 5 and 6 it started getting much better, and at 7/8 months I am completely clear and have only had a handful of spots in the past 3 months. Dryness has not been a problem for me, but know that you should carefully treat your skin with hydration masques, constant lotion, and very gentle cleansers (not soap). So far it is worth it for me, I have not not had breakouts for this length of time in at least a decade.
GIVE IT A TRY
Reviewed on November 15, 2016

Accutane seriously saved my life. I've only been on it for a month and my skin is COMPLETELY clear. Nothing else worked prior to accutane. As a 21 year old, I had given up hope that I would ever have clear skin. It is definitely a big commitment with all the doctors appointments and what not, but it is so worth it. Amazing product and I haven't had any major side effects from it. Some fatigue here and there but compared to the minocycline I was on before this, its nothing! Give it a try! It is not as bad as everyone makes it seem! Im sooo happy I tried it!

Yay for accutane!
Reviewed on November 4, 2016

Hello everyone,

I haven't ever written a post before but I always promised myself I would if accutane worked.

Acne type: Moderate but persistent

Duration: 4 months (starting November 2015)

Dosage: 55mg dosage the whole time - 1mg per kg you weigh.

Side effects: Mild dryness, mild backpain, very dry stools (TMI I know!)

All of the side effects were treated easily by investing in vaseline for the lips, cetaphil moisturiser for face/body, drinking A LOT of water.

I had to be on the contraceptive pill, and use 1 other form of protection with monthly blood and pregnancy tests. DO NOT RISK GETTING PREGNANT!

Month 1: Initial breakout from day 3-day 15 from what I remember - it was straight away probably because I started on a high dose

Month 2: Acne tamed but got a mini flare up in week 6 which set me back

Month 3: Face really started to clear up and became less conscious about it

Month 4: Clear and honestly my face was glowing! People who didn't even know I was on accutane said to my my face was actually glowing.

It is now November 2016 - exactly 1 year after I started, and 8 months after my final dose - I won't lie and say I haven't had the odd spot, and when I do I completely panic and fear the worst, but believe me accutane DID and DOES work. I can actually leave the house with no makeup on - feels incredible!

I hope I stay acne free forever, (please pray I do), but for the time being I am really happy that I took it. if it is offered to you, do take it. It is worth it, and works wonders. It is nerve wracking and scary, but honestly by the end you won't want to get off it! There is an incredible support system out there to help you - these blogs, instagram journeys, endless websites.

Good luck to anyone on it or thinking of going on it - I really hope and pray it works for you! :)

by yeyekun on 11/06/2016 14:20
wow! hoping for the good result too.. by november 18 my derm told me to take ISONOIN i have a lot of breakouts again...so bumpy and lot of cyst :( currently im a college student... hoping that theres no breakout again while taking the prescribed med... im suffering for acne since high school... your review was a big hope for my suffering.. sorry for my english.. (PH)
Works wonders
Reviewed on November 3, 2016

I've struggled with cystic acne since the beginning of my teen years and into my adult years as well. My dermatologist first placed me on a round of Doxycycline as a precautionary measure, but that didn't help much so the next step was Accutane. I took 1 course in my early high school years and another towards the end of my high school years. Miraculously, my acne was gone after the first treatment and stayed that way for a while until it started to creep back a year or so later. This is quite normal in severe acne patients. Since my 2nd course ended years ago, I only struggle now with the random hormonal bumps around that time of the month (Caziant bcp has helped tremendously with that). Yeah the monthly blood draws suck and skin dryness is a pain, but it's well worth it. Just stock up on tons of Aquafor (a TRUE lifesaver and something I still use today). I didn't have any other adverse side effects except for mild joint pain and hemorrhoids from time to time.

Incredible
Reviewed on October 23, 2016

Accutane is honestly the most incredible thing ever. After 4 months of being on the drug, the only thing I regret is that I wish I had tried it years earlier. I never thought about writing a review, but I knew it would be worthwhile to let others know about my amazing experience and to give them some hope if they're feeling blue about acne. I'm a 22 year old male, and started getting acne about 8 years ago. While never incredibly severe, it was persistent, irritating and psychologically damaging. I would get it on my face and even ass sometimes, but the worse was always on my back and chest. No matter what I tried, it would always come back. I tried numerous over the counter and prescription topicals, as well as antibiotics like minocycline. None of them seemed to do much work, and last year my face started randomly breaking out so bad I barely wanted to leave my room. I finally gave in to Accutane after avoiding it due to all the 'horror' stories, and all I can say is 'wow.' I took the antiobiotic Bactrim a few weeks before and into starting my Accutane course to reduce the possibility of an initial breakout, and boy did that combo do wonders. Since starting Accutane, my whole body has completely cleared up, and I have had maybe one zit since then. It has 100% changed my complexion, and I can't even believe I suffered through all those years of acne. As for the side effects, they are pretty much zero. The only issue I've had is somewhat dry lips, and for that Dr. Dan's Cortibalm is a life saver. As well, although not recommended, I boozed pretty hard while taking this drug, and haven't had any liver related problems thus far. In regards to people who complain of depression and severe side effects like muscle/joint pain and hair loss while on Accutane, I don't discount those claims, but I would highly suggest giving Accutane a first hand experience before believing everything written on the Internet. Reviews tend to bring out all the naysayers and nervous nellies; rarely do you hear from the positive end of things. Anyways, I'll conclude by saying that Accutane is a life changer. Go see a dermatologist as soon as you can if you've been considering this drug and ask them for more information. I would not even hesitate if I had to take another round of Accutane, that's how effective it has been.

Amazing drug.
Reviewed on October 15, 2016

I never give anything a perfect review, but oral isotretinoin has certainly come close to deserving one. I was on Accutane from February to November of 2014. In my 10+ years of battling acne trying and pretty much everything, nothing has been as effective and long-lasting at completely clearing my skin. Some unpleasant side effects but for me they were worth the sacrifice, particularly since acne has such a negative effect on me psychologically (I'm a skin picker).

While the results weren't exactly permanent (it relapsed but nowhere near as bad as it was in the past--I'm on Estelle right now), it did give me blemish-free skin for over a year after finishing my course of medication, and that's something no topical or contraceptive will ever come close to offering. Changed my life, no joke.

Just Say No
Reviewed on October 5, 2016

First of all let me just say that I am happy (and really shocked) to see that this drug works for some people. Truly, I am happy that it has “cured” people, given them their lives back and didn’t have the negative repercussions that I have experienced. Generally speaking, when I tell people about my own experience on accutane, there is nothing very joyful about it.

My situation was that accutane was my “last resort”and unfortunately for me, it got to that point. When I was 17 my mother took me to the dermatologist very hesitantly but it was clear that my acne was so bad that it was clear that I was going to have life long physical scarring because of it.

At first, they put me on 40mg per day and after about 6 months, I went up to 60mg/day due to being on the heavier side of things and the fact that I still didn’t have clear skin at 40mg.

Within the first… I don’t know…month I would say, I saw a marked difference in my acne. But the breakouts didn’t stop - they just got less bad if that makes any sense. Then they up’d my dose and I stayed on that for 6 more months (so total a year). On the higher dose, my back acne got almost entirely clear and my face looked great - but with loads of side effects - more on that in a second. After 6 months on the 60mg, my dr took me off of the drug due to the high dosage. He said that likely, my acne would not come back. After enduring the pain of acne and then the pain of the side effects of accuntane, hearing that I wouldn’t have it again almost made me cry.

So fast forward 6 months, my back did stay clear and for that I am grateful. but my face acne DID come back and almost as bad as it was before. My dr suggested another round of accutane but honestly, I just couldn’t bear knowing how miserable I would be while on it. My side effects included: CONSTANT dry eyes. Scaley skin. Chapped lips to the point of bleeding on a daily basis. Dry mouth…no amount of water could quench my thirst. And finally - depression. While I was on it and had clear skin, I was just depressed. Now, almost 2 years later, I still find myself battling depression which is something I have never experienced before, even at the height of my acne. So I said no. Plus I had heard that prolonged use was bad for future reproduction and I knew I definitely wanted kids.

Sorry for the novel here. I am passionate when it comes to this subject.

My back acne never came back. My face is the clearest it has ever been and honestly, you can hardly tell any scarring at all but it is NOT due to accutane. About a year back I found a company called Ninja Skincare and their products worked for me when none, no other product ever, including this terrible drug, worked. They are topical, don’t cause liver damage (yay!) are affordable and the people there are amazing. I found my best skin that I have had since before puberty.

What ever choice you make when trying to heal your skin I just beg you to please try EVERYTHING before you try accutane. Maybe, hopefully, you can find something that works for you without the invasive drugs. The lasting side effects of this particular drug are incredible and just not worth the temporary clear skin.

by Gladiatoro on 10/18/2016 19:25