Page 207 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2086 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Catherine, New Zealand
Reviewed on November 14, 2006

My acne only started to break out when I was 18 and it was only on my cheeks. I have been on Isotnane for about 2 1/2 months - first two months I was on 1 20mg pill a day and then at the 2 month mark my derm told me to go on 3 20mg a day - I did and my skin went really puffy and sore - so now only on 2 20mg a day. My derm said that I have to go on 3 20mg pills a days if I want my acne to go away forever. Can someone tell me if this is true and if two 20mg pills a day is enough to get rid of it forever??

Adult acne sufferer, Boston, MA
Reviewed on November 13, 2006

While I did have side effects which were frustrating at times (especially the chapped lips and headaches) to me it was still well worth using this product. I have been seeing a dermatologist since my freshman year of college (almost 6 years ago) and nothing has worked. I have tried multiple antibotics, different kinds of birth control, topical creams, other medications, etc. While I still get some pimples, they are much smaller, less frequent and fewer in number than before. To me this means a world of difference. The advice I would give anyone would be to be realistic about your outcome and give the medication time. I didn't end up seeing dramatic results until a few months into my treatment. It's also important to be honest with your doctor about the side effects and your progress.

Jennifer, Indiana
Reviewed on November 12, 2006

I have taken Accutane twice, both were 6 month regiments and both times after about 2 years of having clear skin my acne returned, but a little less severe each time it has returned. Now my acne is managable with topical treatments. I am going to recommend this drug because you will see results, but it is HORRIBLE while you are on it. The side effects may sound unreal but they will happen in some form, so I highly suggest researching this medication before deciding to take it, to make sure it is the right thing for you. If severe side effects and having blood tests done every month are not your thing, then neither is this drug.

Ang, Canada
Reviewed on November 11, 2006

It was good in reducing the amount of acne for a time but it is not worth the side effects and the fact that my acne returned a year later.

Josh, St. John's, NL
Reviewed on November 9, 2006

This product is worth the money. In the long run the side-effects faded and I eventually got back to my good old self; minus the acne. Some people say the acne returns after the treatment, and I will agree with them...but only if you don't keep up with a regime. Face it, some of us are prone to acne and we have to watch it. Accutane can clear your body of acne, but it's up to you to keep it clear. I use a mild acne cleanser and follow up with a moisturiser twice a day, I may have to do this for the rest of my life...but it's a small price to pay to have great looking skin.

sunshine, south padre island, texas
Reviewed on November 2, 2006

Its not for everybody. not every patient can deal with the drawbacks as you can see in the other ratings. respect the medication and its not a permanent one. your acne will come back in a year or so. mine did but i took the medication again for a month in a half and i was fine. its all about maintanence. Acne is a part of life is your born with it. so learn to control it and move on with you life with out the depression and dry skin for that month or two. use moisturizer!

PJ, Florida
Reviewed on October 29, 2006

to begin with, i have had acne prone skin ever since i was 10, but it didn't get really bad until i was 15. at that point i had awful cystic acne all over my face, neck, chest, and back, and my dermatologist had me on several different prescriptions, i had even tried proactive (which was USELESS). now i know for a fact that most of my acne is due to hormonal problems i have, but even being on birth control pills didn't help much, so accutane was the last shot. but it drove me CRAZY. i almost lost my mind while i was on it. i would get the most awful, psychotic, suicidal mood swings. my family was afraid of me for a while, and for the 5 months i was on accutane i broke so many household objects by going on anrgy/depressive rampages and throwing things.. it was scary.. after i was off it, my skin cleared up a lot. but never completely. i still have acne, just not as bad... this pill has a lot of long term effects on your body as well. really read up on it before you take the risk.

Anonymous, Nashville
Reviewed on October 28, 2006

I am a 28 year old female that developed persistent acne at the age of 24. I tried all conventional methods of over the counter and oral medication and finally changed dermatologists who put me on Accutane. The first three months my face was awful. It was embarrassing to even leave the house. Then week by week I noticed improvement and now I haven't had a new spot in almost 3 months. I have 10 pills left out of a 5 month treatment and my derm. tells me I have an 80% chance it won't come back so I'm hoping. If it starts to I'll be right back in her office because the end result far outweighs the side effects.

trinity
Reviewed on October 28, 2006

my self esteem was low to start with and now i think it is non existant. i am 19 and can't show any skin above my waist to my collar bone. i am going to have another try in january. i tried benzoyl peroxide and the pill and various other creams and tablets but this is the only one that improves things. I have the support of my sister and that is the greatest help.

Bryan, Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed on October 25, 2006

It's a great product to take care of acne if you can tough it out throught the depressing treatment period and be able to handle the long-term side effects of dry skin and lips for the rest of your life. I would recomend it if you have severe acne and nothing else seems to be working. I would try something a little less harsh first.