Page 207 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2079 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Anonymous, Nashville
Reviewed on October 28, 2006

I am a 28 year old female that developed persistent acne at the age of 24. I tried all conventional methods of over the counter and oral medication and finally changed dermatologists who put me on Accutane. The first three months my face was awful. It was embarrassing to even leave the house. Then week by week I noticed improvement and now I haven't had a new spot in almost 3 months. I have 10 pills left out of a 5 month treatment and my derm. tells me I have an 80% chance it won't come back so I'm hoping. If it starts to I'll be right back in her office because the end result far outweighs the side effects.

trinity
Reviewed on October 28, 2006

my self esteem was low to start with and now i think it is non existant. i am 19 and can't show any skin above my waist to my collar bone. i am going to have another try in january. i tried benzoyl peroxide and the pill and various other creams and tablets but this is the only one that improves things. I have the support of my sister and that is the greatest help.

Bryan, Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed on October 25, 2006

It's a great product to take care of acne if you can tough it out throught the depressing treatment period and be able to handle the long-term side effects of dry skin and lips for the rest of your life. I would recomend it if you have severe acne and nothing else seems to be working. I would try something a little less harsh first.

Yelof Nair, Denver , CO
Reviewed on October 25, 2006

Acutane works great when nothing else will. the side effects can be bad, make sure you have good moisturizers, and read all warnings and side effects, make sure you understand what you are getting into.

it works very well

johnny, ventura county, ca
Reviewed on October 22, 2006

I'm 28 years old and took accutane for 1 1/2 months when i was about 19. I had every side effect there is for this stupid medication. My bones would hurt. My eyes and lips got extremely dry. My acne made me sad but no suicidal. One day the medicine freaked me out. I started having weird thougts and almost killed myself. Its now many years later and my eyes still get extremely dry. I still struggle with acne but i would not recommend accutane to anyone. I do understand though that everyones body is different and some people might not get the side effects. I for one wish i would have never taken that stuff.

Jessica, Boston, MA
Reviewed on October 22, 2006

I've taken accutane twice. It cleared up my skin tremendously the first time, but the acne came back a year later. I started taking it a second time at a smaller dose, but the side-effects were much more severe. I had noticeable hair thinning, dry lips, and developed severe depression.

Please read everything you can before taking this drug. As of this September, it has been linked to depressive behavior in rats (I used to think the depression of patients was a result of their acne). It has also been shown to cause permanent changes in sections of the brain that are associated with depression.

If you are like me, you will probably still do whatever you can to get rid of your acne. But remember that acne usually goes away with time, whereas severe depression, once you're in it, is very difficult to cure and can be much more debilitating in every aspect of your life.

dana, mesa, AZ
Reviewed on October 19, 2006

Very good product. I first took it when I was 16. Took it for 5 months and had very clear skin. I had been on a low dosage since I was young so the acne came back about a year and a half later. I took it again when I was 18 and was put on a dosage 3 times higher. after about 2 or 3 months I had to have it lowered do to a strong dull pain in my brain-it was then 2 times higher than the first time I had taken it. It again cleared up after the 5 months and have been clear until recently. I'm 21 and have started breaking out a little bit. Nothing like previously so I was advised to take tetracyclen 2 a day for 3 months and then will take 1 a day for a couple years until I'm either pregnant or feel that I will be fine off it. We will see. Also, Aveeno products have been really good and gentle on my skin and more effective than clean&clear and nutrogena type cleansers

hr, new york
Reviewed on October 19, 2006

started at age 27. was on high levels of antibiotics for 7 years. my body built up a resistence and the medication stopped working, and i started developing problematic side effects from having been on antibiotics for so long. i had stayed away from accutane due to all the horror stories i had heard. my only regret is that i didn't do this sooner - had i known how well this drug works, i would have started it years ago. i had to see an eye dr for dry eyes - i wear contacts and had to switch to accuvue oasis, and using special eye drops, but that seemed to take care of that problem. my biggest concern is that i'm in my 4th month and having severe lower back pain. i'm very physically active, so i'm sure this isn't helping it. regardless, this medication's pros far out way it's cons. i'll deal with 5-6 months of being overly dry and achey to have beautiful skin and my self confidence back.

Molly, SF, CA
Reviewed on October 19, 2006

I am a 22 year old female who has suffered from acne since I was about 12 or 13. Nothing worked for my face. I even tried proactive, most people have great results but it didnt really help me, I tried numerous dermatologist recommend stuff, and nothing worked. My dermatologist finally wrote a prescription for Accutane. It made me psychotic. I went on it for like two or three weeks. I was having visual hallucinations which I had never had before in my entire life! I went off ot it because I went on birth control pills and it doesnt combine well with those. A couple years later my dermatologist put me on it again because I wasnt on the birth control anymore. The same thing happened. When I was off accutane I had no hallucinations but the minute I went back on it the hallucinations started again. It can also cause severe depression. I recall a story on the news where a teenager got so depressed while on accutane that he ran an airplane into flordia. This stuff should be off the market!

10 Years Later..., San Diego, CA
Reviewed on October 17, 2006

It's been nearly ten years since I finished my second and final cylce of Accutane. The first cycle is undoubtably the worst, I was taking 40mg/day, 20 in the morning and 20 at night. My lips were seriously chapped and would bleed nearly every time I smiled. Also, the skin on my face was very dry and often flakey. Near the end of the first cycle, my acne went away. I was completely free of acne for about 6 months. Then it returned, this time all over the lower half of my face (previously it was only on my forehead). So back to the dermatologist I went. He put me on 60mg/day 40 in the morn and 20 at night (or it could have been the other way around, all I know is it was a gold pill and a purple one). The seocnd cycle went MUCH better than the first, even thought I was taking a higher doseage, I didn't have any issues with my lips being seriously chapped and my face wasn't nearly as dry as before. My acne cleared up and ten years later.. NO BREAKOUTS! Just an occasional pimple.