Page 207 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2072 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

hr, new york
Reviewed on October 19, 2006

started at age 27. was on high levels of antibiotics for 7 years. my body built up a resistence and the medication stopped working, and i started developing problematic side effects from having been on antibiotics for so long. i had stayed away from accutane due to all the horror stories i had heard. my only regret is that i didn't do this sooner - had i known how well this drug works, i would have started it years ago. i had to see an eye dr for dry eyes - i wear contacts and had to switch to accuvue oasis, and using special eye drops, but that seemed to take care of that problem. my biggest concern is that i'm in my 4th month and having severe lower back pain. i'm very physically active, so i'm sure this isn't helping it. regardless, this medication's pros far out way it's cons. i'll deal with 5-6 months of being overly dry and achey to have beautiful skin and my self confidence back.

Molly, SF, CA
Reviewed on October 19, 2006

I am a 22 year old female who has suffered from acne since I was about 12 or 13. Nothing worked for my face. I even tried proactive, most people have great results but it didnt really help me, I tried numerous dermatologist recommend stuff, and nothing worked. My dermatologist finally wrote a prescription for Accutane. It made me psychotic. I went on it for like two or three weeks. I was having visual hallucinations which I had never had before in my entire life! I went off ot it because I went on birth control pills and it doesnt combine well with those. A couple years later my dermatologist put me on it again because I wasnt on the birth control anymore. The same thing happened. When I was off accutane I had no hallucinations but the minute I went back on it the hallucinations started again. It can also cause severe depression. I recall a story on the news where a teenager got so depressed while on accutane that he ran an airplane into flordia. This stuff should be off the market!

10 Years Later..., San Diego, CA
Reviewed on October 17, 2006

It's been nearly ten years since I finished my second and final cylce of Accutane. The first cycle is undoubtably the worst, I was taking 40mg/day, 20 in the morning and 20 at night. My lips were seriously chapped and would bleed nearly every time I smiled. Also, the skin on my face was very dry and often flakey. Near the end of the first cycle, my acne went away. I was completely free of acne for about 6 months. Then it returned, this time all over the lower half of my face (previously it was only on my forehead). So back to the dermatologist I went. He put me on 60mg/day 40 in the morn and 20 at night (or it could have been the other way around, all I know is it was a gold pill and a purple one). The seocnd cycle went MUCH better than the first, even thought I was taking a higher doseage, I didn't have any issues with my lips being seriously chapped and my face wasn't nearly as dry as before. My acne cleared up and ten years later.. NO BREAKOUTS! Just an occasional pimple.

Willoughby, Hamilton, New Zealand
kate, newzealand
Reviewed on October 16, 2006

it has done so much for my confidence, i rarely ever wear make up and yet still feel confident. apart from dry lips and a bit of flaky skin i have had no other side effects.

i havnt yet finished my treatment but hopefully my skin will continue to be clear!

Tired of Acne, Canada
Reviewed on October 16, 2006

I was on Accutane for about 6 months before my doctor took me off it because it was not working at all! It helped at first, about the second month my skin became some what clear, so I was excited. Then the next month it all came back, but now I also had the dry skin, aching bones, nose bleeds etc. It never cleared after that! I was super disappointed since I paid almost $200 a month for the treatment (accutane, birth control etc). It was pretty much just a pain in the butt! I heard it works for most people, so I guess its trial and error! hehe

mr spot, NY
Anonymous, Canada
Reviewed on October 13, 2006

If you can stand feeling really ugly for a month or two, and you don't mind dealing with dryness... then do it. It's the closest thing to a cure. I'm very happy with it.

Rick, MD
Reviewed on October 12, 2006

Took for 6 months. I didn't see any real improvement until my 4th month on it, but if only I could show you a before and after pictures, you would be amazed. The week I stopped my dry skin and headaches ceased and my skin was left clear and unblemished. Bottom line is simple, the side effects are a small price to pay for the amazing things this drug can do to your skin.

Andrea, Sarsaota Fl.
Reviewed on October 11, 2006

I am 27 and have had cystic acne since the age of 12.My breakouts are not all over my face but a few nodules deep under my skin.Unfortunatly they swell and can be extreamly painful, some times so presistant they require surgery.When I was 18 I started seeing a dermatologist and he perscribed Azaelic cream, it did nothing.After 25 I noticed my skin starting to scar, that is when I foud a better dermatologist. After numerous topicals and perscriptions I started accutane treatment three weeks ago. Dry skin is the greatist thing ever. I am dealing with three cysts at the moment but I am not oily at all. I get all excited about using chap stick, a thing that would have broken me out big time in the past. I have been having headaches behind my eyes in the morning, but that is the only side effect so far, besides the peeling skin on my face ears and scalp,a little gross, but ok. Hopefully it works for me I am keeping my fingers crossed, and I guess my insurance covered it only $15.