Page 207 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2092 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Yan, Montreal
Reviewed on November 28, 2006

I've been prescribed that twice (for 6 months each) a couple of years ago for MILD acne. Even though my skin was almost clear at the end of the treatment, acne never failed to come back both times although it's about 30% better now.

I think it must really work for people with severe acne, but in my case, mild acne, doctors were just trying to prescribe me their stuff.

A diet change (atkins), liver flushes, healthy habits and investigating on candida and digestion worked for me more than accutane

E, Malaysia
Reviewed on November 25, 2006

there is scarring, red marks on my cheeks ever since i went to shanghai. (china is really badly polluted) i am taking 20mg per day after the heaviest meal. normally it is at night. some topical gels apply 2x daily at pimples. I just start using it for 1 and 1/2 months, so i shall not jump to the conclusion so soon.

normally the procedure to cure acnes

topical gel -> antibiotics -> isotretinoin

Rschel, newzealand
Reviewed on November 25, 2006

this drug IS a miracle drug! i've had acne on chest back and face since was bout 12,now am almost 18.had tried dozy(antibiotic),the pill(estel) and made me gain 10 kg, also all the drying face washes and pimple gels...oviously didn't work.i started izotane (1 pill 4 2 weeks) and saw instant results! wud look forward to lookin in mirrow everymrnin to c how much beta it was.have been on it now for about 1 month 2 weeks and my skin is just amazing! i'm tempted to give my dermatologist a big hug next time i c him.i no longer hav to pack on the makeup! yay.everyone who needs to go on this stuff shud!its expensive for the dermo appointmnts but i wud pay mor if i had to, its that gr8!

ellie, FL
Reviewed on November 24, 2006

I've been on this for seven months now, and I've never been happier with my skin!! It's incredible. It dries EVERYTHING out, and its kind of gross. but I would rather have my classmates call me a green anole than a pizza face. try it out and wait it out.

HM, New York, NY
Reviewed on November 23, 2006

Accutane is an amazing medication. I feel that have been 'cured' of my prior skin ailments (which include severe oilyness, perioral dermatitis that did not respond to ANY treatment--oral contraceptives, differin, tazorac, duac, three types of oral antibiotics, retin-a, nicomide-t gel, topical corticosteriods, azelic acid, proactive, you name it!, and constant breakouts into my mid twenties). The side effects were annoying and occasionally distressing, but i just had to remember that I was making an investment in my skin and my self esteem. Find a dermatologist that is invested in your treatment, and be informed about your decision to use accutane. You need to be able to recognize the side effects and treat them appropriately. Overall, however, it has been one of the best decisions of my life. I have *perfect* skin! I haven't had a pimple in over a year, and I've been off accutane now for 7 months.

Merissa, Vancouver BC
Reviewed on November 22, 2006

Effective as a last resort treatment. Not the most pleasent expirence.

Catherine, New Zealand
Reviewed on November 14, 2006

My acne only started to break out when I was 18 and it was only on my cheeks. I have been on Isotnane for about 2 1/2 months - first two months I was on 1 20mg pill a day and then at the 2 month mark my derm told me to go on 3 20mg a day - I did and my skin went really puffy and sore - so now only on 2 20mg a day. My derm said that I have to go on 3 20mg pills a days if I want my acne to go away forever. Can someone tell me if this is true and if two 20mg pills a day is enough to get rid of it forever??

Adult acne sufferer, Boston, MA
Reviewed on November 13, 2006

While I did have side effects which were frustrating at times (especially the chapped lips and headaches) to me it was still well worth using this product. I have been seeing a dermatologist since my freshman year of college (almost 6 years ago) and nothing has worked. I have tried multiple antibotics, different kinds of birth control, topical creams, other medications, etc. While I still get some pimples, they are much smaller, less frequent and fewer in number than before. To me this means a world of difference. The advice I would give anyone would be to be realistic about your outcome and give the medication time. I didn't end up seeing dramatic results until a few months into my treatment. It's also important to be honest with your doctor about the side effects and your progress.

Jennifer, Indiana
Reviewed on November 12, 2006

I have taken Accutane twice, both were 6 month regiments and both times after about 2 years of having clear skin my acne returned, but a little less severe each time it has returned. Now my acne is managable with topical treatments. I am going to recommend this drug because you will see results, but it is HORRIBLE while you are on it. The side effects may sound unreal but they will happen in some form, so I highly suggest researching this medication before deciding to take it, to make sure it is the right thing for you. If severe side effects and having blood tests done every month are not your thing, then neither is this drug.

Ang, Canada
Reviewed on November 11, 2006

It was good in reducing the amount of acne for a time but it is not worth the side effects and the fact that my acne returned a year later.