Page 207 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2074 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Jessica, Boston, MA
Reviewed on October 22, 2006

I've taken accutane twice. It cleared up my skin tremendously the first time, but the acne came back a year later. I started taking it a second time at a smaller dose, but the side-effects were much more severe. I had noticeable hair thinning, dry lips, and developed severe depression.

Please read everything you can before taking this drug. As of this September, it has been linked to depressive behavior in rats (I used to think the depression of patients was a result of their acne). It has also been shown to cause permanent changes in sections of the brain that are associated with depression.

If you are like me, you will probably still do whatever you can to get rid of your acne. But remember that acne usually goes away with time, whereas severe depression, once you're in it, is very difficult to cure and can be much more debilitating in every aspect of your life.

dana, mesa, AZ
Reviewed on October 19, 2006

Very good product. I first took it when I was 16. Took it for 5 months and had very clear skin. I had been on a low dosage since I was young so the acne came back about a year and a half later. I took it again when I was 18 and was put on a dosage 3 times higher. after about 2 or 3 months I had to have it lowered do to a strong dull pain in my brain-it was then 2 times higher than the first time I had taken it. It again cleared up after the 5 months and have been clear until recently. I'm 21 and have started breaking out a little bit. Nothing like previously so I was advised to take tetracyclen 2 a day for 3 months and then will take 1 a day for a couple years until I'm either pregnant or feel that I will be fine off it. We will see. Also, Aveeno products have been really good and gentle on my skin and more effective than clean&clear and nutrogena type cleansers

hr, new york
Reviewed on October 19, 2006

started at age 27. was on high levels of antibiotics for 7 years. my body built up a resistence and the medication stopped working, and i started developing problematic side effects from having been on antibiotics for so long. i had stayed away from accutane due to all the horror stories i had heard. my only regret is that i didn't do this sooner - had i known how well this drug works, i would have started it years ago. i had to see an eye dr for dry eyes - i wear contacts and had to switch to accuvue oasis, and using special eye drops, but that seemed to take care of that problem. my biggest concern is that i'm in my 4th month and having severe lower back pain. i'm very physically active, so i'm sure this isn't helping it. regardless, this medication's pros far out way it's cons. i'll deal with 5-6 months of being overly dry and achey to have beautiful skin and my self confidence back.

Molly, SF, CA
Reviewed on October 19, 2006

I am a 22 year old female who has suffered from acne since I was about 12 or 13. Nothing worked for my face. I even tried proactive, most people have great results but it didnt really help me, I tried numerous dermatologist recommend stuff, and nothing worked. My dermatologist finally wrote a prescription for Accutane. It made me psychotic. I went on it for like two or three weeks. I was having visual hallucinations which I had never had before in my entire life! I went off ot it because I went on birth control pills and it doesnt combine well with those. A couple years later my dermatologist put me on it again because I wasnt on the birth control anymore. The same thing happened. When I was off accutane I had no hallucinations but the minute I went back on it the hallucinations started again. It can also cause severe depression. I recall a story on the news where a teenager got so depressed while on accutane that he ran an airplane into flordia. This stuff should be off the market!

10 Years Later..., San Diego, CA
Reviewed on October 17, 2006

It's been nearly ten years since I finished my second and final cylce of Accutane. The first cycle is undoubtably the worst, I was taking 40mg/day, 20 in the morning and 20 at night. My lips were seriously chapped and would bleed nearly every time I smiled. Also, the skin on my face was very dry and often flakey. Near the end of the first cycle, my acne went away. I was completely free of acne for about 6 months. Then it returned, this time all over the lower half of my face (previously it was only on my forehead). So back to the dermatologist I went. He put me on 60mg/day 40 in the morn and 20 at night (or it could have been the other way around, all I know is it was a gold pill and a purple one). The seocnd cycle went MUCH better than the first, even thought I was taking a higher doseage, I didn't have any issues with my lips being seriously chapped and my face wasn't nearly as dry as before. My acne cleared up and ten years later.. NO BREAKOUTS! Just an occasional pimple.

Willoughby, Hamilton, New Zealand
kate, newzealand
Reviewed on October 16, 2006

it has done so much for my confidence, i rarely ever wear make up and yet still feel confident. apart from dry lips and a bit of flaky skin i have had no other side effects.

i havnt yet finished my treatment but hopefully my skin will continue to be clear!

Tired of Acne, Canada
Reviewed on October 16, 2006

I was on Accutane for about 6 months before my doctor took me off it because it was not working at all! It helped at first, about the second month my skin became some what clear, so I was excited. Then the next month it all came back, but now I also had the dry skin, aching bones, nose bleeds etc. It never cleared after that! I was super disappointed since I paid almost $200 a month for the treatment (accutane, birth control etc). It was pretty much just a pain in the butt! I heard it works for most people, so I guess its trial and error! hehe

mr spot, NY
Anonymous, Canada
Reviewed on October 13, 2006

If you can stand feeling really ugly for a month or two, and you don't mind dealing with dryness... then do it. It's the closest thing to a cure. I'm very happy with it.