Page 2 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 1978 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Game Changer
Reviewed on July 25, 2015

After 7 years of struggling with acne I was fed up... Cleaned up my diet early on, added an extensive topical regimen, and took B5 mega-doses for the last 3 years. Despite all this giving me nearly 100% clear skin, I was very fragile. One slip-up with a meal, missed dose, or feeling too stressed out and I would break out... As an added bonus, my skin was constantly oily despite an impeccable regimen. I felt trapped with life because my acne controlled me. Couldn't work out too hard or try and gain mass, couldn't travel anywhere, couldn't be my true self all the time because I was constantly on edge, making sure I took all the steps 24/7 to ensure I wouldn't break out. I knew Accutane was the only solution for years, but I was afraid to take the plunge due to all the horror stories online plus I didn't think the derm would take me seriously. Anyways, I got lucky because the derm was very understanding and I ended up getting prescribed Absorbica, a newer form of Accutane that can be taken without high fat meals - although they still help. I've been on it for a little over 5 months and am finishing up the last of my pills before I embark on an international adventure. Only side effects I experienced were dry lips, skin, and eyes. The dry eyes were the worst because I already had chronic dry eye. However, all of these issues can be ameliorated by a good moisturizer, Aquaphor, and preservative-free eye drops. Accutane has seriously improved the quality of my life to a degree I never thought was possible. I really hope the results last once I stop the medication and my only regret is not taking it sooner! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND, especially if you were struggling like I was…

by nomorespotsplease on 07/25/2015 12:28
How is your acne looking now?? I'm currently on day 37 and starting to see improvement😊
by healthnut91 on 07/25/2015 21:10
Amazing! No breakouts whatsoever. I was super cautious upon starting and made sure I kept a super clean diet. I had no initial breakout and only a small pimple that formed in month 3 which I attribute to missing 2 consecutive doses, not eating that great, and a sudden temperature change where I live. I was scared when the pimple started forming but it had pretty much healed fully within a week which was a total change from what I was used to...
Ruined my life
Reviewed on July 21, 2015

Im 15 and I use to have very little acne like maybe 3 pimples at once. Then my mom asked my dermatologist about accutane because it worked so well for her and my sister. The dermatologist recommend accutane. After 3 weeks of taking the accutane I got cysts all over my forehead and on my cheeks. For about 6-7 weeks my life was awful. My face kept getting worse and worse the acne never stopped. I decided to stop accutane on week 7. After I stopped my acne got a little better but no where back to where it was before. Now every 2 weeks I have to go to a dermatologist to get injections. It's been a month since I stopped accutane and my face is now still 3 times worse than it was before. I don't know if my face will ever turn back to normal. I feel like I'm still on accutane. I would say never take accutane unless you have no other choice. Thanks accutane for ruining my face my happiness and my self esteem.

by Wssls on 08/12/2015 10:48
Hi there, I am a 15-year old dutch girl and I am on accutane since 5 days. Please listen to what I'm saying here. I read your story and made an account to comment. After 7 weeks, your initial breakout could still be going on. You probably had a lot of clogged pores and that has got to ge out of your skin. It could be months before you notice your skin getting better. I know that it's your choice but I really think you should go back on accutane because it sounds as if you are suffering very badly because of your acne. I know what that feels like. You wrote: I would say never take accutane unless you have no other choice. Well, it sounds like YOU have no other choice. I would give accutane another chance, if I were you. You should talk with your dermatologist about it though. Good luck and hang in there!
It didn't wok for me but
Reviewed on July 15, 2015

Been on accutane twice and both times yielded mixed results. Each time has cleared me up for a certain amount of time but my acne has always came back. But it never comes back as bad. I've went from severe cysts down to lots of clogged pores. So it's good BUT it does not cure every one always, Please think about that before putting your body through this strong medication. Personally, I didn't find the side effects too deliberating but they are definitely not something to brush off. Dry flaky skin which is easily combated with a good lotion. Dry, cracked lips which I kept under control with Fucidin H and nose bleeds which were rather annoying. The only side effect which seems to have permanently affected me is the joint pain and weakness. All in - for a lot people it's a long time cure, but please educate yourself and don't rush into it.

Thx God for Accutane
Reviewed on July 12, 2015

I started breaking out when I was 12 I am now 49. By late teens my face looked like Mt. Rushmore. I tried all the antibiotics that was out there and nothing worked then my dr prescribed Accutane and my back, arms and face cleared up and my pores was reduced. For 37 yrs my face has been cystic acne free. I don't wear makeup to cover up those nasty ugly nodules like I use to I just let my beautiful skin speak!! I thx my dr for allowing me to go through whatever I had to to have a lifelong cure. The side affects sounds horrific I know but if u follow directions and do what your dr tells u u will be very very happy FOREVER!!!!!

Cruisin after week 6
Reviewed on July 11, 2015

I'm a 20 yr old dude. Always had both oily and acne prone skin. Month 1 was brutal with a bad IB lasting a few days. Now have oiless moisturized skin in week 6 already. No other product can compare to accutane (I used epiduo for several years). Worrying about my skin is completely obsolete now. Safe and effective when taken with a fatty meal, although I do binge drink occasionally on it (hangovers possibly a little worse). Take this with a large fatty meal and your dose will be more absorbed with faster results (almonds, avacado, eggs). A lot of things are bad for you such as accutane but atleast this one counts for something.

Cheers

Stick with it!!
Reviewed on June 13, 2015

Until aged 19 I never had any problems with my skin. However when I started university I started to break out slowly and within a year had a full face of cystic acne. I tried many different treatments (none of which made any difference) and finally my doctor referred me to start isotretinoin. For the first four months I felt like there was no change however after that, my skin seemed to clear up extremely quickly (almost in a matter of weeks). I found it easy to copy with the dryness with intense facial moisturising in the night and the morning every day from the beginning of the treatment. I also kept lip balm on me at all times and applied regularly. Of course I still suffered from slightly dry skin and lips but it was easy to cope with and SO WORTH IT. Towards the last month or so of treatment I also found I had a stiff back and hips but again, it was easy to cope with and so worth it. I would highly recommend this treatment to anyone suffering. My self confidence was knocked for so long and I am finally (after about three years) able to leave the house without make up on. I suffered no depression of any sort but instead continued to feel better and better throughout the treatment as my skin improved. Stick with it, it is not a miracle drug and needs time to work!

Brilliant but not so brilliant!
Reviewed on June 13, 2015

Brief description of myself:

Female, 32 years old, 63KG. On 40mg- 60mg.

I started taking this med in March, all seemed ok until around 3/4th day where I was ready to just give up, I started getting extremely hot, my face was on fire constantly, I was always red and of course peeling! Honestly I had "snake skin!". I was prescribed double based cream which I felt like I had to keep on putting on my face.

Anyhow I didn't give up, what I did was adjust a few things- instead of using the cream I started using raw organic coconut oil (previously used now and again)- my god what a difference! My face was constantly moisturised and it tackled the horrid scars! I only used coconut oil for my face nothing else.

Beauty regime- Morning- "cream" face with coconut oil (quite a bit), shower (water dries your face so be sure to put quite a bit of oil PRIOR to the shower), pat dry your face after shower, apply make up (I used Double Wear by Estée Lauder- amazing!).

At night I would "cream" my face with the oil (over the make up) then with cotton wool rub it off gently, wash with warm water, pat dry and apply a decent amount of oil before bed!

Always keep Vaseline near you, dry lips are terrible, and over time they get worse 😩..

My scalp got very dry too, again I used coconut oil. Put a good amount on your scalp, go sleep and wash in the morning! This problem was tackled within a couple of days!

I never broke out, in fact within a week or so I saw a huge improvement - my face was literally almost cleared! I couldn't believe it.. a couple of weeks ago I saw my derm and was hoping I would be told that my treatment was complete- however I still have 2 months to go at 60mg (previously on 40mg). I started taking the extra pill and the side effects got worse to the point that I almost gave up again, so I've decided to go back down to 40mg and unfortunately will have to stay on for a little longer..

I gave this med 4 stars purely down to the side effects, it is a rough ride but I personally think it's so worth it! My skin looks amazing, not ONE spot! (I've previously counted 30+!) . My scars are next to none (maybe the coconut oil has helped)..

If your about to start good luck, hope you don't have such a rough ride that you decide to give up..

All the best!!

Ahh yes- joints hurt too.

Only a bandaid fix
Reviewed on June 12, 2015

So if you're a female and you suffer from hormonal acne like me, nothing will ever 'cure' your acne. The best you can do is manage it. Accutane works by drying up the oil glands and shedding the skin cells quicker. But, it isn't the be all to end all for a lot of people. For many it has been shown to cure their acne, but it depends what kind of acne you have. If you suffer from adult hormonal acne chances are this won't work for you. The best option is to go on Diane 35, and even that has side effects. Plus, Accutane is really bad for your health so unless you have tried everything else, including birth control, then try it. I've been on it 3 times. The only thing that has ever kept my acne at bay is Diane 35 and Proactiv, used together. But that's me just managing my acne, not trying to cure it. Remember, there is no cure, as you can't cure your hormones.

accutane nice but not so nice :D
Reviewed on June 11, 2015

1 whole year of 2 pills per day recommanded micro dose that my doctors gave me to prevent side effect and 2 months after finishing everything went back to how it used to be first 1 pimple then 4-10 cysts and all that good stuff so for me it was not worth it i lost a year of my life putting my body in danger liver all organs all thoose nasty side effects for nothing...a doctor told me this has 85% rate of success of getting rid of acne for life i guess i was one of the 15% :( hope it works for others maybe with full dosage

I don't know how other people are able to take it for so long
Reviewed on June 9, 2015

Roaccutane is one of the worst medication I've ever been on. Within half an hour after taking the first 20mg Isotretinoin, I became extremely irritable and had uncontrollable anger and snapped at my mom for no reason. On the second day, I started getting severely depressed and cried in middle of the day for no reason. I also became extremely fatigued and I could only run for 20 minutes on the treadmill when I normally run for 50 minutes. I also started having memory problems and I couldn't even remember the 4 digit number that I always use at work. I felt not right being on Roaccutane and I felt like I was dying inside. Because of these side effects, I eventually quit on Day 5 and I didn't quit because of the horror stories I've read online, I quit since I couldn't handle the side effects any longer. On the contrary, I'm currently on SSRIs after the depression caused by Roaccutane. And there are just as many horror stories from SSRIs but I'm still taking it because the side effects are nowhere near as horrible as Roaccutane.

by n1990c on 08/20/2015 22:44
There is no way you could have felt any effects within half an hour, or even the first couple of days. Definitely no way you could have developed depression from 5 days of 20mg pills. Sounds like a combination of hypochondria and some other personal issues that needed addressing before treatment. Good luck