Page 2 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 1981 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Where to buy is not associated with this product. All proceeds from links go to charity.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Fantastic drug. Went on it in my early twenties twice and it gave me perfect skin for 20 years
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

I went on Accutane/Roaccutane twice in my early 20's. It is an amazing drug and the only cure for acne. The only side effect I had was dry lips and I just bought Elizabeth Arden's eight hour cream and that solved the problem. Do not be put off taking this wonderful drug by a few scaremongers on the internet. It gave me perfect incredible skin for 20 years. I am now 45 and some very mild acne has started to emerge and I am going on doxycycline. Accutane also has an anti ageing effect on the skin as I look about 10 years younger than my age and I put it down to having been on Roaccutane/Accutane. I told a work colleague about it who had severe acne. She went on it and now also has perfect skin and she had severe acne. So I helped change her life. Go on Roaccutane/ Accutane you will not regret it.

by liveforlife on 07/29/2015 06:40
Hi, I'm delighted to hear your treatment worked for you! I was given this treatment in my late teens after seeing a dermatologist and it too cleared my skin....amazing. I am now almost 30 and I am struggling with bad acne again. However, I am no longer under the care of a dermatologist. Do you know if your GP can prescribe it or would I have to go down the path of the dermatologist again?
by Fudgesicle87 on 08/05/2015 17:12
liveforlife, your GP can prescribe it (at least in Canada) but may be uncomfortable with that and send you to a dermatologist anyway.
pros and cons.
Reviewed on July 25, 2015

I have been dealing with acne all over my face for just over a year, I was put on accutane in may 50gm, so I'm currently on my 3rd month. My acne has cleared and all that's left is the scaring, which Is amazing! I feel so much more confident and it feels amazing having smooth skin! BUT there are side effects the most difficult one I have experienced would be hair loss, my hair has thinned a lot since started but in my opinion having clear skin is more important ( although I naturally have long hair that is rather thick so it wasn't a deal breaker for me) I take Vitamin C and hair supplements to try and help .

some other side effects are: dry lips/ swollen lips, I just keep them moisturized this isn't a big deal for me they dont get too bad.

bloodshot eyes, my eyes water more easily too, I look like I've been crying or I'm stoned a lot.

also drying of the skin, I recommend putting jojoba oil on your face at night, it stops the drying and it's great for your skin.

side note- the face wash I use is angels on bare skin by Lush, and the tea tree toner by lush, both are great and I recommend.

All in all I'd say that this product is worth it, although luckily I live in the UK and get it free, I don't think i would pay for it considering the price and the side effect.

by nomorespotsplease on 07/26/2015 10:30
Hi, I am on 50mg for th last week or so before that k was on 20mg. I can c an improvement now am on the 50mg. Were u on 50mg the whole time?? I am also in UK and get it free but even if I had to pay I would, I NEED clear skin I hate having to put make up on. When did u clear? I'm on day 38. Any advise would b great😊
by juliafin on 07/27/2015 00:03
Hey, I have been on 50mg for the whole time, I'd say it took 3/4 weeks to completely clear, but the dermatologist recommended I stay on it for 3 months just to make sure it doesn't come back, it is a really great medication, hope your skin clears up soon! I'd also watch out as now your on a higher dose the side effects may worsen but I know it's worth it x
by jokule81 on 08/13/2015 09:42
Do you not pay prescription charges in UK? I have to for my accutane
My story
Reviewed on June 9, 2015

I have suffered from acne since I was 11 I am now 27. When I was about 14 I got the benzoyl peroxide cream which made it worse so I stopped using it and it soon went back to "normal' which was bad but not as bad as when I was using th cream. When I was 16/17 I got oxcicetricyline and it reduced my blackheads and cleared my skin a lot but still not completely clear I was given this medication another couple of times after that spaced out through 8 years. To b honest I just thought that was me I had bad skin and that's with it!! After having my son at 19 I thought my skin would get better and to some effect I think it did as I was at the doctors a lot less than before about my skin. About 5 months ago I started to get big spots more like a cyst on my forehead when I never really got them there before. So I went to the doctors, he gave me the oxcicetricyline as it worked before.....this time however it didn't it got WORSE!!!! I got loads of huge cysts on my forehead chin and the side of my head along with other smaller "spot" type ones!! I was gutted! After that ran out I went on an antibiotic for a week I googled it and it was for th treatment of abscesses can't remember name.....did nothing! Then I got a 2 month suppy of lymecycline 408mg while I waited for an app with dermatologist. Didn't have to wait long only 3weeks as my doctor put it as urgent as it was so bad, really sore and swollen so I struggled to sleep at nights as I had a huge cyst right next to my ear on the side I sleep😔 so anyway in the 3 weeks it done nothing either. Was at derm yesterday and he gave me prednisolone a type of steroid to take for a month and accutane to start on the 3rd week. Think steroid to calm it and hopefully help keep an initial breakout at bay if I get 1. So I am just starting this and I hope that after this treatment I finally after 17 years have clear skin😊 can update if anyone wants to know👍🏽

by nomorespotsplease on 07/25/2015 10:42
Hey just an update!! I am currently on day 37 of accutane. For the 1st 28 days I was on 20mg and as I said on the post above I also had steroids for th 1st 2 weeks. 3 weeks in I went for bloods and as my cysts were still there my deem gave me more steroids for 2 weeks. And upped my dose of accutane to 50mg. That was a week and a half ago. My cysts are goin down.....slowly but never the less they are getting smaller. The rest of my face is clearing as well although red marks are still there even though the spots are gone. SIDE EFFECTS SO FAR •dry lips and mouth •dry patches of skin on hands •little back and neck pain •bloody crusty boogers on right nostril🙈 so expecting nose bleed soon I use the brand simple for my face wash, face wipes and day and night moisturisers. So far so good as I can now see an improvement, fingers crossed it starts to go away a lot quicker now I am on a higher dose😊
by nomorespotsplease on 07/25/2015 12:26
forgot to say I also had an increased heart rate for the 1st month, since being on 50mg that's stopped, maybe my body is getting used to th drug
by muke on 08/30/2015 03:06
How are you doing now?
Game Changer
Reviewed on July 25, 2015

After 7 years of struggling with acne I was fed up... Cleaned up my diet early on, added an extensive topical regimen, and took B5 mega-doses for the last 3 years. Despite all this giving me nearly 100% clear skin, I was very fragile. One slip-up with a meal, missed dose, or feeling too stressed out and I would break out... As an added bonus, my skin was constantly oily despite an impeccable regimen. I felt trapped with life because my acne controlled me. Couldn't work out too hard or try and gain mass, couldn't travel anywhere, couldn't be my true self all the time because I was constantly on edge, making sure I took all the steps 24/7 to ensure I wouldn't break out. I knew Accutane was the only solution for years, but I was afraid to take the plunge due to all the horror stories online plus I didn't think the derm would take me seriously. Anyways, I got lucky because the derm was very understanding and I ended up getting prescribed Absorbica, a newer form of Accutane that can be taken without high fat meals - although they still help. I've been on it for a little over 5 months and am finishing up the last of my pills before I embark on an international adventure. Only side effects I experienced were dry lips, skin, and eyes. The dry eyes were the worst because I already had chronic dry eye. However, all of these issues can be ameliorated by a good moisturizer, Aquaphor, and preservative-free eye drops. Accutane has seriously improved the quality of my life to a degree I never thought was possible. I really hope the results last once I stop the medication and my only regret is not taking it sooner! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND, especially if you were struggling like I was…

by nomorespotsplease on 07/25/2015 12:28
How is your acne looking now?? I'm currently on day 37 and starting to see improvement😊
by healthnut91 on 07/25/2015 21:10
Amazing! No breakouts whatsoever. I was super cautious upon starting and made sure I kept a super clean diet. I had no initial breakout and only a small pimple that formed in month 3 which I attribute to missing 2 consecutive doses, not eating that great, and a sudden temperature change where I live. I was scared when the pimple started forming but it had pretty much healed fully within a week which was a total change from what I was used to...
Ruined my life
Reviewed on July 21, 2015

Im 15 and I use to have very little acne like maybe 3 pimples at once. Then my mom asked my dermatologist about accutane because it worked so well for her and my sister. The dermatologist recommend accutane. After 3 weeks of taking the accutane I got cysts all over my forehead and on my cheeks. For about 6-7 weeks my life was awful. My face kept getting worse and worse the acne never stopped. I decided to stop accutane on week 7. After I stopped my acne got a little better but no where back to where it was before. Now every 2 weeks I have to go to a dermatologist to get injections. It's been a month since I stopped accutane and my face is now still 3 times worse than it was before. I don't know if my face will ever turn back to normal. I feel like I'm still on accutane. I would say never take accutane unless you have no other choice. Thanks accutane for ruining my face my happiness and my self esteem.

by Wssls on 08/12/2015 10:48
Hi there, I am a 15-year old dutch girl and I am on accutane since 5 days. Please listen to what I'm saying here. I read your story and made an account to comment. After 7 weeks, your initial breakout could still be going on. You probably had a lot of clogged pores and that has got to ge out of your skin. It could be months before you notice your skin getting better. I know that it's your choice but I really think you should go back on accutane because it sounds as if you are suffering very badly because of your acne. I know what that feels like. You wrote: I would say never take accutane unless you have no other choice. Well, it sounds like YOU have no other choice. I would give accutane another chance, if I were you. You should talk with your dermatologist about it though. Good luck and hang in there!
It didn't wok for me but
Reviewed on July 15, 2015

Been on accutane twice and both times yielded mixed results. Each time has cleared me up for a certain amount of time but my acne has always came back. But it never comes back as bad. I've went from severe cysts down to lots of clogged pores. So it's good BUT it does not cure every one always, Please think about that before putting your body through this strong medication. Personally, I didn't find the side effects too deliberating but they are definitely not something to brush off. Dry flaky skin which is easily combated with a good lotion. Dry, cracked lips which I kept under control with Fucidin H and nose bleeds which were rather annoying. The only side effect which seems to have permanently affected me is the joint pain and weakness. All in - for a lot people it's a long time cure, but please educate yourself and don't rush into it.

Thx God for Accutane
Reviewed on July 12, 2015

I started breaking out when I was 12 I am now 49. By late teens my face looked like Mt. Rushmore. I tried all the antibiotics that was out there and nothing worked then my dr prescribed Accutane and my back, arms and face cleared up and my pores was reduced. For 37 yrs my face has been cystic acne free. I don't wear makeup to cover up those nasty ugly nodules like I use to I just let my beautiful skin speak!! I thx my dr for allowing me to go through whatever I had to to have a lifelong cure. The side affects sounds horrific I know but if u follow directions and do what your dr tells u u will be very very happy FOREVER!!!!!

Cruisin after week 6
Reviewed on July 11, 2015

I'm a 20 yr old dude. Always had both oily and acne prone skin. Month 1 was brutal with a bad IB lasting a few days. Now have oiless moisturized skin in week 6 already. No other product can compare to accutane (I used epiduo for several years). Worrying about my skin is completely obsolete now. Safe and effective when taken with a fatty meal, although I do binge drink occasionally on it (hangovers possibly a little worse). Take this with a large fatty meal and your dose will be more absorbed with faster results (almonds, avacado, eggs). A lot of things are bad for you such as accutane but atleast this one counts for something.

Stick with it!!
Reviewed on June 13, 2015

Until aged 19 I never had any problems with my skin. However when I started university I started to break out slowly and within a year had a full face of cystic acne. I tried many different treatments (none of which made any difference) and finally my doctor referred me to start isotretinoin. For the first four months I felt like there was no change however after that, my skin seemed to clear up extremely quickly (almost in a matter of weeks). I found it easy to copy with the dryness with intense facial moisturising in the night and the morning every day from the beginning of the treatment. I also kept lip balm on me at all times and applied regularly. Of course I still suffered from slightly dry skin and lips but it was easy to cope with and SO WORTH IT. Towards the last month or so of treatment I also found I had a stiff back and hips but again, it was easy to cope with and so worth it. I would highly recommend this treatment to anyone suffering. My self confidence was knocked for so long and I am finally (after about three years) able to leave the house without make up on. I suffered no depression of any sort but instead continued to feel better and better throughout the treatment as my skin improved. Stick with it, it is not a miracle drug and needs time to work!

Brilliant but not so brilliant!
Reviewed on June 13, 2015

Brief description of myself:

Female, 32 years old, 63KG. On 40mg- 60mg.

I started taking this med in March, all seemed ok until around 3/4th day where I was ready to just give up, I started getting extremely hot, my face was on fire constantly, I was always red and of course peeling! Honestly I had "snake skin!". I was prescribed double based cream which I felt like I had to keep on putting on my face.

Anyhow I didn't give up, what I did was adjust a few things- instead of using the cream I started using raw organic coconut oil (previously used now and again)- my god what a difference! My face was constantly moisturised and it tackled the horrid scars! I only used coconut oil for my face nothing else.

Beauty regime- Morning- "cream" face with coconut oil (quite a bit), shower (water dries your face so be sure to put quite a bit of oil PRIOR to the shower), pat dry your face after shower, apply make up (I used Double Wear by Estée Lauder- amazing!).

At night I would "cream" my face with the oil (over the make up) then with cotton wool rub it off gently, wash with warm water, pat dry and apply a decent amount of oil before bed!

Always keep Vaseline near you, dry lips are terrible, and over time they get worse 😩..

My scalp got very dry too, again I used coconut oil. Put a good amount on your scalp, go sleep and wash in the morning! This problem was tackled within a couple of days!

I never broke out, in fact within a week or so I saw a huge improvement - my face was literally almost cleared! I couldn't believe it.. a couple of weeks ago I saw my derm and was hoping I would be told that my treatment was complete- however I still have 2 months to go at 60mg (previously on 40mg). I started taking the extra pill and the side effects got worse to the point that I almost gave up again, so I've decided to go back down to 40mg and unfortunately will have to stay on for a little longer..

I gave this med 4 stars purely down to the side effects, it is a rough ride but I personally think it's so worth it! My skin looks amazing, not ONE spot! (I've previously counted 30+!) . My scars are next to none (maybe the coconut oil has helped)..

If your about to start good luck, hope you don't have such a rough ride that you decide to give up..

All the best!!

Ahh yes- joints hurt too.