Page 2 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 2024 reviews

Brand: Accutane

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

Accutane (isotretinoin)

Would never recommended this to my worst enemies
Reviewed on April 4, 2016

I had a cousin who got into severe depression after taking these pills. Of course, his dermatologist denies any connection. Do your research folks before sacrificing your health (physical and mental). There are other much safer and even cheaper means to recover from acne.

Brilliant but not so brilliant!
Reviewed on June 13, 2015

Brief description of myself:

Female, 32 years old, 63KG. On 40mg- 60mg.

I started taking this med in March, all seemed ok until around 3/4th day where I was ready to just give up, I started getting extremely hot, my face was on fire constantly, I was always red and of course peeling! Honestly I had "snake skin!". I was prescribed double based cream which I felt like I had to keep on putting on my face.

Anyhow I didn't give up, what I did was adjust a few things- instead of using the cream I started using raw organic coconut oil (previously used now and again)- my god what a difference! My face was constantly moisturised and it tackled the horrid scars! I only used coconut oil for my face nothing else.

Beauty regime- Morning- "cream" face with coconut oil (quite a bit), shower (water dries your face so be sure to put quite a bit of oil PRIOR to the shower), pat dry your face after shower, apply make up (I used Double Wear by Estée Lauder- amazing!).

At night I would "cream" my face with the oil (over the make up) then with cotton wool rub it off gently, wash with warm water, pat dry and apply a decent amount of oil before bed!

Always keep Vaseline near you, dry lips are terrible, and over time they get worse 😩..

My scalp got very dry too, again I used coconut oil. Put a good amount on your scalp, go sleep and wash in the morning! This problem was tackled within a couple of days!

I never broke out, in fact within a week or so I saw a huge improvement - my face was literally almost cleared! I couldn't believe it.. a couple of weeks ago I saw my derm and was hoping I would be told that my treatment was complete- however I still have 2 months to go at 60mg (previously on 40mg). I started taking the extra pill and the side effects got worse to the point that I almost gave up again, so I've decided to go back down to 40mg and unfortunately will have to stay on for a little longer..

I gave this med 4 stars purely down to the side effects, it is a rough ride but I personally think it's so worth it! My skin looks amazing, not ONE spot! (I've previously counted 30+!) . My scars are next to none (maybe the coconut oil has helped)..

If your about to start good luck, hope you don't have such a rough ride that you decide to give up..

All the best!!

Ahh yes- joints hurt too.

6months later.....

I previously wrote a review whilst on this treatment, so thought it would be good to let you all know what life is like once you finish yours! Absolutely fantastic! Not one single spot on my face or back..

I finished my treatment at the end of sept 2015, and since then I haven't had any breakouts , skin is back to normal (no longer feels sensitive), no more dry lips, or aching joints. I do wish I had taken this stuff sooner. I had previously given the medication 4 stars due to the side affects, it is a rough ride, but it's worth it.. I still only use raw coconut oil as a moisturiser, hardly ever wear foundation (only wear if I'm going out, for a smoother finish!) - that was a big thing for me when I had spots, I couldn't leave the house without - and I mean layers and layers of it! I have absolutely no scars what so ever, I don't know if it's because I used the coconut oil instead of double base cream but either way I'm happy I made the decision not to use the cream provided.. Please feel free to read my other review, it has some tips.

I also went on holiday whilst taking this, and was fine. Didn't burn at all, I used factor 50, applied fairly frequently- I had a lovely tan..

Good luck !

I wish I did Accutane when teen
Reviewed on March 26, 2016

I am writing this review 2 years after going through Accutane treatment.

I suffered medium acne with deep cysts that left me nasty scars. Pimple would take ages to disappear, instead I was having red swellings full of pus for month and month. It got always worse. By age of 25 my face was full of scars and acne would not go away. The strangest thing is that only after I got rid of acne, I actually realised how bad my face looked. It seems I was tottaly used to having pipmles, and it is fantastic to not have them any more!

I started to have acne as teenager. I was treating it in all possible ways (also antibiotics, that did nothing). When I was approx 17 yo my dermatologists suggested to try Accutane, but I got scared by all the side effect and tried all the other non effective methods. Acne never disappeared. I finally got fed up with acne at age of 27 and went through Accutane treatment for 6 month on 30mg. I did not use the contraception, as I knew because of my living situation I will not have "an accident". Side effects: dry skin, lips, nose and eyes. Couple of times severe head ache. Then of course, there was a month when all the pimples started to go out of skin, it was ugly. On a positive side, hair stayed fresh and clean for almost a week (I usually wash every day) and in a couple of month time my skin got very clean, all pimples disappeared and never came back! I did not notice any of those terrible side effects (like depression).

Already 2 years passed and I still have good skin, acne did not come back. I have a small pimple once in a while before periods. Once I had something like looked like an acne come back, but I used a cream with isotretinoin given by dermatologist, and everything immediately disappeared. I am very happy I did Accutane treatment. I wish I did it when I was teen, I'd have less scars, and so many sad moments would be saved. People judge you on your looks, it is very hard to stay careless to other judgements. In any case I feel much better now without acne. Now trying to heal the scars.

God Bless Accutane
Reviewed on March 21, 2016

Guys this stuff works, like really works. It works to the point hat I haven't been on this website in the past 3 months because Accutane just made my pretty severe acne better. I have one month left (I did six) and I get like one small zit maybe once a week and it goes away in a day. I still have some red marks but they're fading and my skin keeps looking better. If you are wondering if this is worth it, DO IT TAKE MY WORK IT WORKS WONDERS

Did not work and have lifetime of irreversible side effects
Reviewed on March 20, 2016

I took this stuff about 18 years ago for 3 or 4 months and totally regret it. Lost my previously thick hair (started thinning, curling and falling out) within a year and never grew back (person who recommended it to me lost his hair too). Suffer from IBD so now on a lifetime regimen of Imodium to barely get by (totally affecting career prospects). Suffer from dry skin (which leads to premature wrinkles and aging people!). Suffer from some joint pain and probably other effects unknown or to come after all these years passed. I still get acne too. Be careful in taking premature reviews seriously! Now every once in a while I search on the side effects of this, just wish I had access to the internet info back when I took it.

Accutane Day 70
Reviewed on March 20, 2016

Hello Folks! So here I am on my accutane day 70. I started accutane on 10 Jan this Year. And today, I am feeling severely depressed because I have got a major zit on the right side of my cheek and I do not know if it is due to me being on my menses. What I know is that one more zit=more dark marks on my face that I will have to deal with for months. My dark marks are my biggest insecurity. Everyday I have to cover them with makeup and have everyone stare at me like why I am wearing tons of makeup in Summer when you are bound to sweat like a horse during the whole day.

So, for last two weeks I did not have any zit. I stopped breaking out since week 8 but the zits I had beforehand are taking ages to go down. They are lingering on my face and turning real dark at the same time. At times, I feel that my face will always remain like that with zits popping out and leaving behind their dark shadows. And you see around people with clear skin, free, living their lives at 100% while I am just avoiding any social gathering. Even at work, I cannot talk to people by looking in their eyes. I try to isolate myself as much as I can so much my face looks hideous with all those marks and my lame makeup.

It is one of the most difficult phase of my life. I have been through alot at 27. But, in this world where everything turns around looks, appearance, skin..every day becomes a struggle. To keep going, I watch other accutane users' videos on you tube or I roam in here to get some support and comfort. But it is not easy.

At the point I am, I doubt I will ever be able to enjoy a clear skin. Even if I won't get any zits thanks to accutane, the dark marks will remain. I have been using multiple topical creams but nothing seem to fade them away. I used 4% hydroquinone, melano-expert, la roche posay hyperpigmentation lotion and so many more before being on tane..I even talked to my derm about it and he always seem to be prescribing me with more creams that I already know will not bring any difference.

Lastly, I would say that it's been one and a half year I cannot go out without makeup and I wished I could go back to the time when I used to have clear skin just to feel again what it is to not have any zit or dark mark on your face.

From a desperate tane user!

by gutfish on 03/28/2016 06:33
Sad to hear how your acne is affecting your mental health - I just wanted to offer some hope. Your story sounds a lot like mine, I would worry about the post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation left behind after a breakout - these marks were often a lot worse than the acne itself. Once my acne was under control with accutane, the marks faded much faster - a year after my course of accutane they were completely gone. Accutane didn't just clear up my acne, it improved the actual quality of my skin (softer, brighter, less inflamed, less oily, less red) so these marks were finally able to heal. I'd recommend a mild gentle AHA face wash and a good moisturiser to help speed up the healing process. Also, maybe ask your derm about azelaic acid and V Beam laser. Hope this helps :)
by Y110289 on 04/10/2016 13:31
Thanks for your comment dear..Sorry for popping here so late! I am today on day 91 and I was pretty happy yesterday. Then, I saw a small blackhead on my face and I tried picking it up! Today I woke up with a huge big red scar!!! So hard to cover even with with concealer and foundation on..I do not know what to do. I am feeling desperate.
31 Female Cured of Acne After 15 Years
Reviewed on March 4, 2016

Because I have turned to this site for so long (lurking), I thought I should let you know that I've finally found success through Accutane. Having tried everything and suffered through moderate-severe bad skin depending on the month with no lasting results, I finally did it -- and got a Zenatane for 6 months.

I had a course of 2 months at 40mg and 4 more months at 60mg and now, at the end of it, I can safely tell you it was totally worth it. Skin amazing -- totally cleared after three weeks (1 zit after that in month 2), and I had no initial breakout. Yes, I was very dry (lips and nose in particular), but it wasn't terrible at all.

My only regret is the following, and this is why I'm writing this: I wish I had done it sooner. There was no reason for me to spend all of my 20s with crap skin. So if you read this and you have hormonal acne and are out of your teens -- definitely consider accutane!!! Don't wait until your skin can't fully recover from the damage of a decade of acne.

Only thing that has worked for my acne
Reviewed on March 2, 2016

This pill cured my horrible cystic acne. Although the dryness and redness you experience while on this pill is brutal, the results are well worth it. My lips would bleed and crack frequently. I recommend Jack Black lip balm for that. And for the chapped face, I recommend Cetaphil cream. On accutane, it is impossible for your face to get oily which is one bonus. I noticed immediate results. I did have some breakouts here and there but for the last month (my 6th month) on accutane my face was completely clear. While on accutane, do not pick your pimples or pop them! You are more prone to scarring/damaging your skin on this medication.

1 month in....
Reviewed on February 29, 2016

been on isotretinoin for about 1 month now and my skin started to have less redness although no actual acne was gone then another cyst on my left cheek and one under another on my right cheek so that sucks. my blackheads have been more prone to coming out for example before i could squeeze them and they woudlnt budge now if i squeexe them they come out...at least the ones on my cheeks not my nose... wihtin the first 3 days my lips were really dry and i started applying aquaphor which is a life savor btw.... 2 weeks in it looked like i was sunburnt and all my skin was peeling. IB is settling down..which happening by the 10 day mark i think...im not yet sure wether or not i would reccomend or if my current rating fits my experience but for now...we shall see.....

The only thing that really works for me
Reviewed on February 23, 2016

Well, I should preface this by saying it works WHILE I'm on it, and for about two or three months after, but I start breaking out again after that. This is possibly because I've only ever been on a low dose (20mg). Accutane works extremely fast for me, I experience clearing within two weeks, and often nearly perfect skin within 1 month. Yes I get a little dry skin and lips but it's not bad. I imagine if I took a higher dose it would be a problem. I've been on it three times for very long courses. I haven't suffered any health side effects from it or anything. I'm probably going to go on it again soon, because I just can't figure out why I keep breaking out. :( It's definitely hormonal, all on my chin and jaw and forehead. I'm trying DIM right now and will give it 2-3 months but if it's a no go, I'm doing Accutane again. It's extremely hard to live with a zitty face that I can't even cover with makeup .. you all know how it can make you feel like less of a person. My self esteem suffers so completely when it's bad like this. Thank you Accutane!