Page 2 of Accutane (isotretinoin) reviews

3.9/5 - 1914 reviews

Isotretinoin in 10-mg, 20-mg and 40-mg soft gelatin capsules.

Beeswax, butylated hydroxyanisole, edetate disodium, hydrogenated Soybean oil">soybean oil flakes, hydrogenated vegetable oil, and Soybean oil">soybean oil. Gelatin capsules contain glycerin and parabens (methyl and propyl), with the following dye systems: 10 mg - iron oxide (red) and titanium dioxide; 20 mg - FD&C Red No. 3, FD&C Blue No. 1, and titanium dioxide; 40 mg - FD&C Yellow No. 6, D&C Yellow No. 10, and titanium dioxide.

microdose - 10mg/day
Reviewed on October 2, 2014

I had been on microdose accutane for 3 months now and I am loving the changes!

My skin used to be super oily and prone to cystic acne but the microdose regiment has dramatically cut down the oil production and clears up my cyst. Though during the first 4 weeks, I do see more acne and blackheads popping up but they are now subsided and I am loving how my skin feels. In my opinion, it is great option for those like me who are exhausted about clearing up the skin. Currently, I am taking the accutane produced by chinese pharma, SINE ([link removed] since I live out here. It is so much cheaper compare to other countries, the pharmacy is reputable, and the best part is I can buy straight from the pharmacy. However, I do visit my derm at first for blood work just to make sure I am in good health for accutane. She also agrees that I should get on microdose for 2-3years if spironolactone or birth control pills don't work for me. Each box contain 20 capsules at a strength of 10mg. If you are interested, email me at fanling07 at gmail. You should go to the doctor first to get your blood work done just to make sure your body is in good health for taking accutane. Peace out..

Worth It
Reviewed on September 27, 2014

I began my first round when I was 16, which left me with clear skin that lasted around 5 years until the nightmare returned. I began my second round when I was 21.

Side effects were severe depression (I've been on Celexa since I was 16, had to up the dosage at 21.) I no longer can wear contacts because my eyes never did gain their moisture back.

Even so, I wouldn't take it back for the world. Isotetrin gave me my life back. I'm 24 now and am so grateful. Anyone who is turned away by the side effects isn't as desperate as us who would give anything to take a picture with confidence.

It is TOUGH don't get me wrong, but absolutely worth it. Love it.

not worth the side effects
Reviewed on September 24, 2014

I stopped my treatment early due to hair loss. It started in ths last couple weeks of the treatment. My dermatologist did not seem phased and wanted me to finish the treatment. I refused to continue. I have been off the treatment for about 2 months and my hair is still falling out. Currently have lost about half of my total volume. The only thing my derm has suggested is hair vitamins and rogain which I have been doing for about 3weeks with no improvement. My skin is clear but my hair is very thin now. I would never do this treatment again

Accutane -- tough but totally worth it
Reviewed on September 23, 2014

After all I had read about Accutane, I was pretty scared going into my treatment in early September of

2013. As I took my first little orange pill, I was terrified. I had heard so much about the horrifying side

effects of the “miracle drug”, and, being a bit of a hypochondriac, I took to the best source I knew – the

Internet! After hours of reading blogs about people’s experiences, looking at before/after pictures and

scouring forum after forum, my head was spinning.

I read about people’s faces peeling off, having suicidal thoughts, and suffering through the worse

breakouts of their lives. I saw images of cracked lips and sad faces with captions that read, “my face feels

like someone took a meat tenderizer to it.” I read about dry eyes, bloody noses, something called dry

butt—I don’t even want to know what that is...NOT encouraging!

As I kept reading and scanning, devouring these peoples’ stories and experiences, I began to feel

physically sick. My back ached, my head hurt, my brain running in circles of is this worth it, am I going to

become suicidal? Am I suicidal right now? I was really a mental, physical, emotional mess on Accutane Day

One.

But then day two came. And day three. Four, five, six – twenty-seven, thirty-nine, before I knew it I was

(am) three months in! 20 weeks down, 8 to go, said my dermatologist today!

My skin is not miraculously clear – not yet, anyways. It is improved, yes, but not done yet. I am choosing

not to despair until the treatment is done. I have hope.

For all my worrying, and the tizzy I worked myself into on that first day, Accutane has NOT been that bad.

It is a very serious medicine, and it should not be taken lightly or until you’re ready for the responsibility

of its potential side effects. But thankfully mine have been quite minor. It’s really just been a few key

lifestyle changes.

Things I’ve learned to do while on Accutane:

1. Apply lip balm like it’s my job.

I literally cannot go ANYWHERE or any length of time at all without Chapstick, Vasoline, Carmex,

Blistex, whatever I can get my hands on. As long as you keep your lips moisturized, they won’t crack or

bleed or peel or any of that nasty stuff you’ve read about. They’ll be dryer than you’ve ever experienced,

that’s for sure, but keep those pesky little tubes handy (and don’t put them in the wash) and you’ll be

okay. Sidenote: my hands also cracked and felt a bit like dragon scales at times. Keep hand lotion at the

ready, as well.

2. Lay off on showering (a bit).

Maybe this is just me, but Accutane really dried out my hair from the first few days. I have naturally

quite greasy hair, and being on this drug made it dry, or at least normal like other peoples’ hair. I only

need to wash it every few days—which is awesome—and it looks absolutely great! Thanks Accutane for

this one sweet side effect! Also my arms and legs have been dry, so I’ve had to adjust to showering less

often and moisturizing EVERYWHERE after I do hop in the bath.

3. Be okay with picking my nose.

You think I’m joking, but it’s for real. The mucus in your nose will dry right up on Accutane, resulting

in painful and sometimes bloody boogers. I’m just laying it out there for you—those things are NOT

comfortable to leave be, so you’ll need to make time to just clear it out once a day. Just don’t do it while

driving, unless you have really tinted windows. Even then, it can wait!

4. Look forward to that one beer each week.

Drinking alcohol while on Accutane is a touchy subject. Some completely abstain, others risk it (who

needs a liver anyways, right?) I made a pact with myself to have no more than one beer a week while on

the treatment. My liver scans (blood tests) have always been clear, and it actually has been kind of nice.

It makes me really look forward to that one drink, and make sure I enjoy it in a special way—with good

friends or an extra delicious burger.

5. Be extra picky about my products.

I swear by the following: Neutrogena Extra Gentle Moisturizing Face Wash to start and end each day,

Cetaphil Lotion before bed, Aquaphor for those especially dry days (on scaly spots and lips before bed).

Lip balms I’m not so picky – whatever is closest is the best, no questions asked.

Well, that’s what I’ve got so far. Two more months to go – maybe three, depending on progress. I’m

thankful for relatively easy side effects, and being able to somewhat hide my excessive Chapstick needs

under the cover of “it’s winter! Everyone’s lips are dry!”

To everyone else joining me in the exciting, frustrating, seemingly endless but ultimately (fingers

crossed) effective journey that is Accutane, Godspeed. We are in this, together.

---

Flash forward to today, my one-year anniversary of starting Accutane. I’m happy to say, my face is totally

clear! I haven’t had a pimple since I can remember, much less a full-on breakout. No matter what time of

the month, or how stressed I am, my skin stays clear! A little tinted moisturizer (and some sunscreen) in

the morning, and I’m good to go for the day. In fact, I’m back to the oily t-zone I did NOT miss while on the

medication – but it doesn’t bother me as much anymore.

My skin isn’t perfect. I have scars. Bumps, spots, marks on my chin and cheeks and nose. But instead of

fixating on those I choose to be thankful. Thankful that someone invented this crazy, painful, apparently

wildly effective medicine, and that I had the opportunity to take it. Thankful for people in my life who saw

through the acne I had before and will see through it if it comes back again, but also rejoice with me that I

can feel confident and pretty and more grown up than before.

The journey was rough, I won’t deny it. But a year out, I can say I’m glad I tried Accutane. I’m even more

glad it worked. And I’m the most glad to say it’s over.

by Emilyjean28 on 09/27/2014 07:58
My story was similar-it was a life-changing medication!
Accutane saved my life
Reviewed on September 19, 2014

I was on 60/mg a day for 7 months... I had horrific cystic acne on my face, and an even more severe amount of disease on my back. I wish I had done Accutane years ago, so that I could have prevented the scarring. I did have mild side effects while on the drug, as you should expect, but nothing too serious, and everything has cleared since I stopped. I am 99.9% acne free now, I would call that cured. Basically, I have healthy, normal skin. I do not use any anti-acne treatments, just gentle cetaphil cleanser on my face and back, and will get the occasional tiny zit, but they are infrequent and I think nothing of them... they are just as any normal person might get. I did have hair thinning while on the drug, but my hair has come back strong and seems as thick as before.

It worked for me
Reviewed on July 25, 2014

I researched everything about isotretinoin before I started taking it. I wanted to weigh the risks and benefits before taking the drug for 5 months. I have had mild to moderate acne since I was 16 and I am now 26. I tried antibiotics, birth control, ACV, chemical peels (which made it worse), even the acne.org regime which irritated my sensitive skin too much to keep using. After talking with my dermatologist, we decided that these other things I have tried did not work and he suggested a five month course on accutane.

There is a lot of waiting involved in order to get the prescription. Waiting after the pregnancy test, waiting to get approved, waiting for results. They make you jump through A LOT of hoops if you are a female, but if you are willing to get the necessary tests every month, it is worth it. My dermatologist prescribed me a low dose of 20mg for the first two months then I went on 30 mg. I have just finished my last months prescription a few weeks ago and my skin is the smoothest and clearest it has been since I can even remember. However, I still have some redness and my skin is still sensitive and dry.

My side effects were very typical. Dry skin, dry lips, sore joints, low energy, and eczema flare ups. All of my side effects were bearable and I would do it again if I had to. Some of the products that I use to combat dryness are Cerave moisturizing facial wash, Cerave PM moisturizer, Aquaphor & lanolin for my lips. For makeup, I used Estee Lauder double wear foundation and it helped with covering up any redness or unevenness. Loreal's True Match also works well for a drugstore brand. After the third month, I noticed I needed less and less makeup because I didn't have to cover up anymore. I also love E.L.F lip exfoliator for dry flaky lips. Another positive side effect besides clear skin has been that my hair has been growing very fast. I asked the dermatologist about this and he could not explain it. I only have to wash my hair every few days because of the lack of oil. It is important to note that your skin will be very sensitive while on accutane. You have to be very careful not to pick your skin because it will not heal as fast as it normally would. It is also important to note that you cannot tan, get a tattoo, or wax while on accutane. I get my eyebrows threaded instead and it works very well without any irritation. I am tan and do not normally burn while in the sun but while on accutane I burn very easily. Also you are not supposed to drink alcohol while on accutane, when I did, I noticed it affected me strongly so I would not recommend it. I tried three different brands, Claravis, Amnesteem, and Absorbica. I would recommend taking Absorbica if you can because it is absorbed the best. The other brands you are supposed to take it with a fatty meal in order to be absorbed. Even though on the label they warn you about depression, It has not affected my mood at all.

There is a lot of scary information out there about accutane, but I wanted to share my experience and hopefully help someone with their decision to try it. I would recommend it to anyone that struggles with their skin.

by patrycjamaziarz on 08/30/2014 21:49
hey! I've just been sent to dermatologist and they have told me about the treatment and I am not too sure about it because of the side effects, but I am seeing lots of positive feed back but I am just a bit scared as there is just so many side effects, it would be great if you could get back to me xx
If you are on the fence about accutane, PLEASE READ :)
Reviewed on September 5, 2014

I always promised myself that after all was said and done with my accutane treatment that I would come back onto these blog and share my story in the hopes of helping a skeptical, scared person like myself. I am now 21 years old and completely acne free. In high school, I never had acne. My skin was pretty much clear my entire life untill college. I started breaking out a lot on only my chin and forehead. Pretty much every breakout was "cystic" and never rose above the skin. Unfortunately this meant that they took forever to go away and they completely dropped my confidence. Absolutely nothing worked for me. I tried topical creams but the pimples were too deep and no antibiotic did a thing. Finally I decided to try accutane although I was absolutely scared. I already had some health issues (headaches, neck problems, etc.) I thought that I would never be able to handle any "side effects" because I'm already dealing with my own Health problems. Once I stared the treatmant, I quickly realized it was worth it. I started to see results within the first month. My face is also not oily at all. So I thought I would be painfully dry on this stuff. however, my skin and lips got dry but it was nothing lip balm and lotion couldn't fix. As for the side effects, I truly could not notice much of anything. Accutane truly just becomes apart of your life for a short period of time and then next thing you know, it's over! I was on it for 6 months and I am beyond grateful that I tried this. My skin has been flawless, soft and beautiful for 5 months since I have been off it. I never break out and I almost forget sometimes that I used to have bad skin. Accutane is COMPLETELY WORTH IT! If you are on the fence about it, please try it! I remember calling my dad crying before the day I was about to start it, and he convinced me to give it a shot. I am soooo glad he did! If you are worried that you already deal with some discomfort due to health issues like I did, don't let that stop you! If anything, any previous health problems you had only makes you tougher, so accutane should be a breeze for you! I want everyone to feel this way about their skin.. If you are a candidate to take accutane, please give it a try :)

by Cwonder22 on 10/25/2014 15:31
Your review has made me considered taking it- because I haven't decided yet. But I'm scared of other effects I've read about, such as hair loss or thinning of the skin :/
Treated, but not cured
Reviewed on September 2, 2014

I am 21 year old male and had acne for seven years. My acne was moderately severe, and cystic. I took Accutane (Claravis) for 80mg a day for 5 months.

My improvements were extremely slow. The first month nothing really happened. From about second to third month breakouts started taking place. The IB acne was very deep and mostly cystic. It wasn't as much as quantity as much as quality. The acne on my face slowly went away, until I was completely clear on my face around month 4. My back acne faded about one or two months after I finished treatment, with minor breakouts to this day. Accutane still didn't clear me completely, but just enough to where I can feel like myself.

As far as side effects go, I had dry lips and dry skin, which didn't bother me that much because I live in South Texas where it’s always humid, and the winters are mild. I had a couple headaches and sore joints/back. As far as my vision, mental sanity, internal organs go, they were completely fine. It has been seven months since I finished Accutane and all my side effects are completely gone. My skin is a lot less oily, but still somewhat oily at times, but the difference is I don’t break out as much anymore.

I would highly recommend this, but it is up to the individual if they want to try it, and their level of how they are fed up dealing with this problem. I did not have insurance and had to fork out a little over two grand, and I don’t feel sorry I did. There are many times when I thought of what I could buy for two thousand dollars, but my treatment seemed like the answer I was hoping for all those years.

Although Accutane didn't work the way I expected, the result in the long run outweighs the risk, cost, and discomfort.

Only works if you continue to take it!
Reviewed on August 30, 2014

I was accutane for over a year and had brilliant results. Only had mild side effects dry skin, chapped lips and occasional headaches. My dermatologist suggested I stop taking accutane give my face a break for a year and then have laser to clear up my scarring. However within 2 months of being off the medication I began to break out. I have now been off the product for almost a year, my acne is back once again very red and painful and as bad as it was before I started treatment.

by Jetter on 11/06/2014 10:48
Get back on accutane otherwise acne will come back worse. Then taper down when clear and stay on a low dose long term so you can keep skin under control. I am speaking from experience after my first dose was finished my skin turned oilier than ever and acne came back worst. I am now 37 and taking isotane(10mg every second day)now but a low dose so no side effects but I have acne under control as acne can be triggered easily any time in life. I know my skin well and accutane/isotane is the only thing that really works. Also retin a may be an option.
Worked Amazing
Reviewed on August 18, 2014

I started Accutane in February of 2014 and just finished under a month ago on July 24th. I am currently 13 and started when I was 13. 5 years ago my mom went on it and had more side affects than me, she had dry skin everywhere, cracked lips, very irritated skin (the usual.) As for me, i only had dry lips and for a portion of time my chin was always cracking. Otherwise I had no issues. Like I said, i was on it for 5 months. For the first month i was on one 1, 40mg pill a day, the next month i was upped to 2, 30mg pills a day, for a total of 60mg's a day. Iwas on that same dosage for 2 months after that. To simplify that I was on 60mg's a day for 3 months. :). For the last month I went to only 30mg's a day. When I started I was scared of looking anyone in the eye and my face was always oily. I tried 7 topical gels and another set of pills in the past and no luck:(. Accutane was our last resort. My dermatologist wasn't skeptical at all. I trusted him fully and family supported me. I did it and now I'm as happy as i've ever been. I love my skin and am not afraid to wear no makeup in public anymore! I fully recommend Accutane to anyone who needs it.