Glycolic Acid Peel

Recommended by 70% of visitors

Average price: $39.35

Most helpful review

By Mary on 12/17/2012

I bought a glycolic acid peel 30%, from Perfect Image on Amazon. This peel worked from the get go. I noticed my skin was smoother after the first application. After a few weeks I also noticed I was breaking out way less. Currently, I only have 1 active pimple, which is really not normal for me. I usually have at least 4-5 at a time. While the peel worked on breakouts and lightened some of my hyperpigmentation (I have very light skin, but dark marks), my skin adapted within a month and now my marks are not lightening like they did initially. My skin is still staying much clearer though. (even during that time of the month---weird!) I also must say that I was using this product 2-3 times a week. I felt my skin could handle it, but this is most likely the reason why my skin adapted so quickly..

Pros:
  • 1. smoother skin
  • 2. Dark marks lightened
  • 3. face is much clearer
Cons:
  • 1. some peeling
  • 2. redness for 20 mins after application
  • 3. my skin adapted and now I need a stronger peel

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

By on

I am 45 and have had acne since I was 25. It is hormonal 100% for women. Birth Control pills helped. Taking Accutane for a yr kept me free of acne for 5 yrs. Then it returned. Antibotics were useless. Those who use these glycolic peels without there hormonal problems under control will be unhappy because the acne will keep surfacing over and over again because the hormones keeps making the acne every month. This is how I felt about the peels in my 20's and 30's. The peels turned my face into a giant zit farm. I couldnt leave the house. (The exception was when Accutane got rid of the acne entirely) Now at 45, when I do the peels, small clusters of acne surface as my face clears out. But this is nothing like my 20's or 30's. This is manageable and the acid is doing its work. It will take time for the skin to rid itself of the clogged pores as I still have weak hormones still wreaking a bit of havoc. For those of you who are leaving it on for 10-15 minutes and not noticing anything at all, you have very sun damaged skin. You will need to keep doing the peels for a very very long time. You have a lot of dead skin to work through. You may wish to see a professional and ask there advice. These acids work wonders when applyed properly to the right canidates. Never apply to broken skin or onto wounds. Good luck and to beautiful skin!

Pros

• Smooth skin, lightening of dark spots, tightening of pores, wrinkles look less noticible

Cons

• Acne will flare up for a few days
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Pros

• My nutrition specialist suggested I use the Made from Earth Grapefruit Glycolic Scrub 2-3 times per week in order to deep clean my pores. You would think that since it's glycolic acid, it would be pretty harsh on the skin but it's not drying or irritating at all for my sensitive skin. After use my skin looks brighter and feels cleaner.
  • I also love the smell of it. The smell puts me in the mind of a spa so, I feel like I'm at a salon or something when I'm using this lol.
  • A littl

Cons

[not submitted]
  • light
  • for about a month
  • $ 25

By on

it gets rid of dark scars and helps with acne by exfoliating, BUT if you think a stronger concentration of glycolic acid will give you better results BEWARE it can cause major irritation and flare ups.

Pros

• evens skin tone and texture

Cons

• 20-30% can cause serious irratation and flare ups
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 12
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Good preventative step for once you get your acne under control (for a milla second). It helps your acne products be able to be absorbed better.

You might try micro-dermabrasion if you have lots of breakouts and then switch to glycolic peels later -like my aestition did with me.

Pros

• Good, sterile exfoliation for your face so your acne products can be absorbed

Cons

• It's not a cure-all. I wouldn't do this on a face with lots of active acne. Doesn't help with scars.
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 50
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I don't know yet, but I am one day 3 and today I woke up with tons of white heads and raised red areas on my face..close together clusters of pimples..this royally sucks

I onlyusually have hormonally related acne, or sweating related when I work out, etc, which is minimal.

but now I am broken out all over the place.

Pros

• I am supposed to see some fresh, baby skin and smoother, tighter complexion, less brown spots

Cons

• I have not peeled, the acutual peel stung and was uncomfortable, but not horrible. I am breaking out like I have never before. this sucks
  • moderate
  • inconsistently
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Anyone would benefit from this, I think. The most important thing is not to pick at your face afterwards.

Pros

• Definitely improved some of my smaller craters and ice-pick scars. I think it makes skin look glossy and healthy, too!

Cons

• You might form scabs. Just don't pick at them! They will fall off and heal nicely on their own.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 60
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I got very good results using a 35% product at home over the course of 8 weeks. Paying for salon treatments would be prohibitively expensive. I am 29, have hyperpigmented spots and a few ice pick scars from prior acne-- it's MOSTLY gone now, but it used to be BAD before I had my baby (hormones changed things, I think), and I tried several prescription products to control it. I peeled 3x a week for 8 minutes ea.-- my skin is not sensitive at all-- my coloring is far more even and the ice picks are even a bit shallower. Added bonus of softening of fine lines. However, while there is no discernable "peeling" I would not use this in summer or when you are outdoors a lot, as it does seem to lighten the skin. No amount of sunscreen will make up the diff between a really pale face and bronzed bod. I plan to continue use through at least Feb/March.

Pros

• Smoother, more even texture, better coloration

Cons

• Requires several treatments
  • Wouldn't use this in summer, or if you are outdoors a lot
  • light
  • for a few months
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used 35% glycolic acid peel as directed for 8 weeks, 1 treatment per week. I did tend to break out a few days right after each weekly session. I used lotion following the use of this product. I didn't see any results when I was done as i was expecting to. I was disappointed.

Pros

• Doesn't seem to be very detrimental if you follow the instructions

Cons

• I didn't see any improvement during or after treatment
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 25
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

2 years post-accutane, I had a major breakout of tiny whiteheads and blackheads alll over my face. They weren't too noticeable from a few feet away, but the texture was horrible. It was especially noticeable in direct sunlight.

After a few months the small bumps began turning into pustules and papules, one by one. They're not too difficult to pop at this stage, but they always leave a pink mark afterwards.

I was put on differin XP and cindasol, and have recently had my first glycolic peel (70%). The first few days were horrible. Lots of scabs and redness, but as the days went by, the results got slightly better. My face is a bit smoother now (2 weeks after the peel), and some red marks seem to be fading, but the overall results aren't too noticeable. In fact, i think the red marks got darker in a few places...

I'm going to try at home 60% peels every 2-3 weeks and see if that works for me. Apparently the results begin to show after a few treatments. Wish me luck.

Pros

• Smoother skin...
  • Red marks are fading (slowly).

Cons

• Whiteheads and pustules turn into scabs right after the peel.
  • Slight initial breakout.
  • Kinda expensive.
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 140

By on

I did my first treatment Monday night and so far I guess its working. I got that intial breakout after my first use. I cant wait untill my 6th treatment so I can see results.

Pros

• not sure yet

Cons

• none
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.