Page 3 of Fraxel Laser reviews

2.9/5 - 181 reviews

Brand: Fraxel

Reviewed on October 9, 2011

This is my first Fraxel treatment and today is my fourth day. So far, so good.

The procedure was definitely not painless, so make sure you apply the numbing cream ALL over your face all the way to the hairline and above your lips. My esthetician recommended that I apply another layer 30 minutes after I apply the first one, so I will follow her advice next time for sure! The pain is tolerable, like a bunch of rubber bands slapping your face, but hopefully the results will be worth it.

Right after my procedure, my face looked like I got a sunburn. Nothing too bad, but I felt weird walking back to my car like that. I felt like everyone was staring at me, hehe. After the first day, my skin was no longer red and it just became a bit swollen and had a healthy glow. My friend who knows nothing about skin even commented on its glow.

I have had acne for about 12 years, from age 12 to 24 (I'm 26 now). Toward the later years, I began having cystic acne that left scars all over my face. The only part that escaped scarring was my forehead. The worst parts of my face are my temples, which have all types of ice pick and rolling scars. I feel like I've been battling acne for all my life, so I really wanted to do something about it.

About 5 years ago, I had 4 treatments of photodynamic therapy. I think THINK it helped my skin, but it also left my face a few shades darker than the rest of my body. The PDT helped my acne a little, but nothing drastic and I don't know if it was worth the $1000+. I'm hoping Fraxel will be worth the money though. I'll post pictures and I'll also post updates as the days go on and when I get my next treatment.

Reviewed on October 2, 2011

So far I see some grooves on my skin I did not have before, my face is still bit swollen and red. Sun spot did not fade, and few acne spots appeared. I am not impressed and upset that cold sores might leave scars? Very expensive, and pressure on more purchases made me feel used for money with empty promises and no improvements.

Reviewed on September 15, 2011

I've done 3 fraxel treatements at the highest setting for my skin tone at a very good cosmetic derm office. I saw an immediate improvement on my skin after the first one, but that's because your face becomes swollen the week after so it appears that the scars are gone, but within a few weeks most of the scars came back. After the first time I saw a 20% improvement. I was excited and made an appoinment 6 weeks later. the second treatment did nothing. I made a third appointment, the third treatment also did nothing. Then I was told i should spreed 3 months between appointments. I was pissed about spending sooo much money and only seeing 20% improvement when i was told it would be more like 40-70 at the end so I tried juvedrem filler injections which did nothing, it was like throwing money away. i was very sad and expressed my feelings od dissatisfaction, it had been 6 months from the last time i did my third fraxel and 1 month since the juvederm. The spa offered me a fourth fraxel restore for free and i thought why not? If I see at least a another 20% improvement from this last one I'll spreed the fraxel restore treatments 6 months to year apart...I'll write back in 3 months letting you guys know what happens. If i see almost no improvement I will never do fraxel restore again cause its expensive as heck and it crushes your hopes. All that being said I'm still very happy that I got about a 20% to 25% improvement.

Reviewed on August 15, 2011

I have just received my 3rd fraxel and have 1 more to go. I am happy so far but I am concerned reading some the bad reviews. Some had problems after 1 or 2 years following fraxel stating that the damage will start to show looking worse than before. Can those who had fraxel after several years and are happy with the results, please share their experience? That wouuld be encouraging to know in the long run things can be ok. Did your skin look worse than before fraxel?

Reviewed on August 4, 2011

The first time I got this, it didn't hurt as bad and it definately cleared up my skin. However, I was left with enlarged pores and tiny pock marks in my skin. But again, it looked better than when I had the acne scars. Fast forward a year later and my scars have returned with a vengeance. I have it done again, only this time it's more painful and I am left with tiny brown scratches on my face. I also have some hyperpigmentation and bruising near my chin. It's only been 3 days though, so I can't say if again my results are satisfactory, but they were the last time I got it done.

Reviewed on June 11, 2011

I very much agree with Anonymous from La Jolla CA. Don't reveiw this procedure untill you're at least 6 months out, but more like a year or futher. These lasers plump your scarrs for about a month after each session and honestly your face does looks great, but sadly you've only been tricked into thinking its working, so you do more like the doctors say. However, once you stop the treatments, after about a month or 2 the swelling goes down your face looks exactly the same as before the treatments, or maybe worse if you end up with permanent redness in areas like I did. Then, a few months later you're in for the real treat. After about 6 months was when the real side effects kicked in. I started noticing enlarged pores, I had permanent redness at the base of my nose and smile lines, loss of skin elasticity, and fat atrophy. The tissue on my face continued deteriorate for at least a year. It aged my skin so much by the time I was only 24 (I was 22 when they were done). I wish I had never had these done. They did nothing for my scars and aged my skin drastically

by Nightwitch9 on 06/05/2015 16:48
Hello are u still here on this org? Did u heal? Want to know on afraid of mine
by Fraxeleworrywart on 03/05/2016 14:47
Do you have any pictures that would show the fat atrophy in your face? Thanks!
Reviewed on May 5, 2011

I am a 24 yr old white female. I had 4 sessions of fraxel restore at $500 each (gradual intensity). A few years ago I did accutane and it really cleared up my face, however, I still have rolling acne scars on my cheeks. I decided to try the fraxel restore. The pain was pretty bad but bearable and it only took the doctor about 15 minutes to complete the procedure (I only got my cheeks done). My cheeks are puffy and red and little to no discomfort is felt after the procedure. They stay red for about 4-5 days and in that time my skin looks and feels great!! However, a couple weeks later and it looks exactly the same. I am pretty frustrated. My doctor thinks I should have two more sessions but I am not convinced. Thinking about trying the fraxel repair but after reading some of the reviews on here, yikes!! Bottom Line: I would not recommend the fraxel restore for acne scarring

Reviewed on April 25, 2011

Going to the "best" meant nothing for me and other patients of the same practice/doctors. These are permanent consequences. This is more risky than effective. I have more damage than when I went in and I would trade those mild acne scars in a second to prevent the devastation this laser caused. It was the only face/skin "procedure" I'd ever done or will do again. Once (on moderate settings) was enough to destroy my skin's elasticity, integrity, volume, color, texture, health and luminosity, etc. Be careful of reviews that rave about this when they are only a few weeks/months out. When they are 1-2 years post-procedure, then their reviews have more validity. Try deep fillers to spread out and stretch your skin if you have acne scars before trying lasers. This is what they'll recommend when the laser does not work anyway. And fillers done correctly ARE effective at reducing the look of acne scars. They'll create volume under the skin and smooth out the surface similar to if you were to pull your skin in opposite directions to stretch the skin. Lasers can and frequently do have permanent consequences. Temporary benefits are not worth the risks.

by Nightwitch9 on 06/05/2015 16:50
Are u still here?
Reviewed on March 23, 2011

I had one session of fraxel repair plus CO2 laser on deeper indented areas.I read alot of reviews and did my research for a few months before deciding on this.So Do your research and choose a doctor who has proven results and that you are confident with. I did and it made all the difference. I thought id share my review as ive benefited so much reading reviews. some built my confidence and some reviews really scared me. I feel when it comes to our face and we have practically tried everything we are desperate for hope (i was) that we become so weary and careful its almost a phobia when we hear neg reviews on laser. i justkept in mind every case is diff and everyone responds differently to any treatment. thats what prompted me do my research for an experienced doctor i trusted. So heres my share of fraxel!

im asian and I have fair skin , was on accutane for 5 months and a year and 2 months later i did fraxel to rid the acne scars from the cystic acne i had.

During procedure

1) Numbing cream for an hour. I also had anesthethics injected on the areas that were to be treated with CO2 , these were the indented areas.

started with fraxel all over my face and then C02 for the deeper areas.

everyones pain threshold is diff and I read alot reviews rating it from 2 to 3/5 and i think my rating too is the same. its bearable and i kept my mind positive cos what is more painful is living my life so self conscious lookin at the pavement to avoid glances with prominent scars.

Post fraxel treatment :

1) always stay positive

2)stay hydrated

3)stock up on some soup cause when you are swollen and your skin is tight on the first 2-3 days,stretching your mouth wide open is not as comfortable for me personally.

4) Gently Ice your swelled areas with an ice pack wrapped in a towel.

5) Take a couple of days off work. I took a total of 10 days to be able to go out scab free.

Results

I am still red on certain areas , iv

by Nightwitch9 on 06/05/2015 16:51
How are u now with ur skin? Did u see any improvement it's been a long time
Reviewed on March 4, 2011

I don't understand why people dont say it works... maybe you need to ask to put it on the highest setting. Well I had two done so far and she said by the third my red marks will be completely gone and then I will prolly need two more for my indented scars. They will never be back to normal but the improvement will be worth it. Maybe people with darker skin it won't work as well for cause they can't put it on too high of a setting?? I'm extremely pale & I have a ton of sun damage living in FL since 16 ...now 23. The cost is $850 full face & $450 just cheeks