Fish Oil reviews

3.7/5 - 240 reviews

Fish Oil

Don't be fooled with dosage
Reviewed on August 21, 2015

I have long been a proponent of fish oil for all of the well documented benefits. For several years I would give my daughter several pills a day for pcos and acne, but it did not seem to make much of a dent. I finally got serious about looking at the EPA and DHA content and discovered that her dosage was way less than expected. I bought a liquid fish oil and gave her about 3000-4500 mg of EPA+DHA per day. Her skin went from seriously acne prone (blackheads and pimples) to clear in a matter of a few days. This has been an eye opener for both of us. She is also gluten and dairy free, but it wasn't until good doses of fish oil that her skin cleared up.

may be doing you harm
Reviewed on April 20, 2015

I have been taking fish oil for a number of years to combat seborrheic dermatitis and joint pain from years of playing sport. It has really helped with pain in my knee but reading all these negative reviews got me thinking about it's impact on acne. I stopped taking my daily fish oil only 9 days ago and my skin is 90% clearer! I have had a terrible summer with cystic acne and until reading some of these reviews I would never have put two and two together. If you have been supplementing with fish oil long term I suggest you ditch it for a week or two and see what happens.

by Helpingforabetterworld on 04/24/2015 22:26
Try Vitamin B5, with L-Cysteine and Vitamin C. If you Had oily skin like I did it will work wonders.
Helps Inflammation but is not a cure
Reviewed on March 8, 2015

Been taking fish oil for about a year now . Has definitely helped my acne appear less red but haven't seemed much of a decrease in acne. Still definitely worth taking as Omegas are very good for you

Doesn't break me out
Reviewed on March 3, 2015

I take this stuff for preventative heart health ( I'm genetically predisposed to heart disease) and it doesn't break me out. I take a few supplements though so I'm not sure whether or not it helps clear my skin.

I had high hopes but it didn't work for me
Reviewed on February 26, 2015

I started taking fish oil supplements after reading a great book on the overabundance of omega6's in the diet and the great effect omega 3's have against inflamation in the body, the positive effect on mood regulation, specifically in people with bi-polar disorder, and the possiblity it might reduce acne. I will say that the high potentcy supplement I have been taking for the last month has done wonders for my mood and temper and it's only 300mg of EPA and 400mg of DHA (or possibly I've switched the two but you get the idea.) Anyhow, this past Monday (Feb 23) I decided I would double my dose, one in the morning and one at night. Well, it's Wed and I've already developed a cyst on my forehead and then tiny, really hard bumps in a couple other places on my face and neck. The first night I took it about 30 minutes after I started to get a prickly warm feeling all over my face. I didn't notice anything weird the next morning and I don't know if the feeling is even related to what's going on with my skin, I just wanted to be detailed. Anyhow, I have not had a cyst in...well, I can't remember and I'm pushing 40. About my acne- I never really had cystic acne in the first place, it was mostly moderate from the 15-20 and then with peels etc it's been pretty mild the last 10-15 years. So, to sum up, two days ago I doubled my fish oil supplement and now I've got a decent sized cyst and some angry hard (I mean like their is a pearl under the skin-hard!) red bumps so I will be going back to my one a day routine as it really has been incredible for mood regulation (and yes, I am a legit diagnosed bi-po, in case you're wondering.) Last thing- one of the NIH studies on omega3s and acne notes that the subjects in their study who "deteriorated" ie had an increase in acne were classified as mild cases. It seems to be good for moderate acne so give it a try. You will know right away if it works or not. And as far as why I'm giving it such a high rating despite it making things worse for my skin- as a bi-po who refuses to take psychiatric drugs and has definitely paid for it (interpersonal issues) fish oil feels like a real solution.

Sundown Nauturals (R) Fish Oil (website link posted). REAL ACNE CURE.
Reviewed on October 23, 2014

It has seemed to have cleared my face in just 12 days after using this nature-given substance. I've suffered (notice the -ed in suffered) from acne for 12 and a half years! I take it orally and apply it topically. It also HEALED (fixed the problem) my swollen left knee with fluids about 4 days after it began to develop. I recommend it.

On a side note, I apply in in circular motions on my face before I go to sleep. I also apply it in the mornings when I wake up as long as I'm not leaving my place for at least 2 hours. I let the hot steam from the shower head rinse the oil off of my face so I don't have to rub any man-made chemicals on my face.

Highlight, Copy, Paste, Enter:

[link removed]

idk..
Reviewed on October 14, 2014

Over the summer, I began taking the fish oil vitamins. Within a few weeks, i started noticing terrible breakouts. I purchased some cortisone, but it still took the breakouts several days to go away. I think I will try slicing the vitamin in half and rubbing it on my acne, despise the horrid smell.

Just okay
Reviewed on September 2, 2014

with fish oil i haven't noticed has made a huge difference in my acne but taking fish oil in general is very good for you and for your skin to prevent aging

You have nothing to lose, TAKE IT!
Reviewed on July 18, 2014

I literally joined this forum just to post this review about fish oil. I have struggled with acne my entire life, and tried just about every product on the planet short of accutane, and this has had the best affect on my adult acne.

When I was younger, I was put on oral antibiotics twice. It worked well, but it just creeped me out to take them. So after I stopped taking them I figured I would just wait out acne until I was an adult. Well, flash forward to my early 30's and my acne became the worst it has ever been. So when my acne really started to get bad about a year ago, I took stock of my life. What was I doing wrong I wondered? I thought I was doing everything right. I exercised, ate well (or so I thought) washed my face twice per day, and I tried every product under the sun, including the acne.org routine. Well, about 6 months into using different routines my acne did not go away and I noticed my skin had become MUCH more oily. I thought oil was o.k. because it was keeping my skin healthy so what's the big deal? Well that's true up until a point. I far reached past that point.

I then started taking vitamin supplements in addition to the topical stuff. If my skin is acting up, maybe I'm just deficient in something. I read up on vitamins that help acne and concluded that I should be taking a, b, c and d vitamins in addition to zinc. I even started tracking my daily progress and literally counting the number of pimples on my face (some were cystic). Vitamins had a marginal effect. So I thought, maybe it's diet. This is where the story takes a turn. Only one thing really make a difference to this adult acne: laying off gluten and dairy. Well I'm not an obviously lactose intolerant person and I'm only as gluten intolerant as the next guy, so I figured I must have a mild allergy that is causing acne. Each time I would be strict and lay off of these foods my acne would get better but not go away. I figured that would be as good as it gets, that I have super sensitive skin that over creates oil from harsh routines, and that's life.

Well at one point, even when laying off gluten and dairy, I had a really bad outbreak of acne. And I got fed up. So I went back to the research boards. What is causing this oil on my face? It can't be the BP products, because I stopped using them months ago. It can't be lack of moisturizer because I tried being disciplined about that too. I completely laid off comedgenic products and detergents. My skin was still oily. So my research took me to articles about treating Asian skin, because I'm Japanese. And something in an article jumped out at me. Essentially the person who wrote the article said "How to I get that flawless Japanese skin?" This got me thinking... my skin is SUPPOSED to be good. What am I doing different here? T Here must be something HUGELY missing out of my life that is causing this reaction. It can't be a slight gluten intolerance. It can't be a minor vitamin deficiency. It must be hormonal because several articles pointed to a correlation between hormonal imbalance and sebum production.

So I kept reading and stumbled upon this article. [link removed]

Essentially, the study in the article showed the an imbalance of omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids caused a spike in hormones and triggered an overproduction of sebum. Omega 3 fatty acids are in things like fish, which I do not eat a lot of. I eat a lot of salads, lean meats, complex carbs, but not fish. Omega 6 is in just about everything else that contains vegetable oil including breads, meats, cheeses, dressings, etc.... staples of the American diet. So whereas we're supposed to be getting a 3:1 or 2:1 ratio of these fatty acids, most Americans get 30 or 40:1 ratio. Could this be my cause, I wondered? After all, Japanese people with their famous skin are known to eat large large quantities of fish.

Well for me it has WORKED. The cystic acne on my face healed twice as fast as normal when I started taking it and I am now several weeks ACNE FREE! I do brazilian jiu jitsu so my skin is constantly exposed to dirt and bacteria so if it is staying acne free, I figure it must have been hormonal all along because I haven't stopped BJJ. My skin scars started disappearing overnight, and I have never been happier. Try this if you think your diet is imbalanced. It could save you lots of money on cleaning products.

Oh and by the way here is a list of dietary experiments and topical solutions I have tried:

Yeast cleanse (mild success)

No dairy and no gluten (mild success)

ACV drink ( I still do this but it didn't completely eliminate anything)

ACV toner (mild success)

Retinol (mild success)

Different levels of BP gels and creams (mild success)

OCM (mild success)

Vitamin supplementing (mild success)

by Desertwolf king915 on 12/03/2014 07:48
I am a darker latino with some asian in me apparently according to my father. I have had acne since 5th grade or so with tons of blackheads.puberty hit then inflammation and whte heads. Heal a bit with all that proactive and benonzyl peroxide crap but still have dark spots and scars I hate so much. I feel depressed my face doesn't match I've been eating right mostly fast food maybe 3-4 times a month or less a sh*t ton of water maybe a can on Sunday . I exercised and ate right for 3 months in summer and acne went crazy. No chemicals either for my skin at that time so it must be hormonal? I just tried oil fishy today please be specific on dha and EPA as well as anything else important. Please hurry I hate that my face is scarring and I'm trying something new beccause I to have inflammation that I think is severe. I also never ate fish before so please respond back. U can leave ur number below maybe so I can text u a pic so u can tell me if oils will help. Please respond back soon our stories are eerily similar
sugar
Reviewed on July 13, 2014

I took fish oil pills for about a year. It worked at first for my eczema rash on my face and acne. I just took it on a daily basis, and it just seemed like I never took it. I stopped taking it 2 days ago and my acne cleared up so fast I couldn't believe it. I really don't know about fish oil or how I feel about it now. I guess try something else.