Finacea Azelaic Acid (15%) Gel reviews

Brand: Finacea

Active ingredient:
Azelaic Acid (15%).

Inactive ingredients:
Benzoic Acid, Edetate Disodium, 1,2-Diarachidoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine, Medium-Chain Triglycerides, Polyacrylic Acid (250000 mw), Polysorbate 80, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Water.

Finacea Azelaic Acid (15%) Gel

Works wonders on acne & the skin texture
Reviewed on May 6, 2015

The ONLY thing that has helped my acne for the past 10 years, has been birth control, but for health reasons I had to stop taking them last year and I was petrified of the horror to come. I tried Salicylic acid, then benzyl peroxide and zinc. SA didn't do much, BP tore my skin apart (I have very dry and sensitive skin), and Zinc only made my hair grow like crazy. I decided to take this matter to a doctor, who prescribed Finacea and told that it has great effects but takes about 2 weeks to work. I'm now 4 weeks in (I was patience as hell), and the real difference has happened now. So I wouldn't give up on this after a week. My extremely dry skin is smooth as a baby's butt, I have some scarring left but only get about one or two small pimples per week. But it's the texture of the skin that's the most impressive part! This also works great under make-up, just make sure you blend it well. A little goes a long way, it might itch a little bit but it's not too bad (for me it means, it's working). Apply it before your moisturizer (I did it the other way before).

For me this is the closest equivalent what birth control would do to acne.

Just started four days ago
Reviewed on April 28, 2015

I'm one of those "tried absolutely everything you can think of" acne sufferers, and just began Finacea several days ago after seeing another dermatologist. It seems to clear up cystic pimples and whiteheads pretty quickly overnight, but I still have bad hyper-pigmentation and many blackheads under the skin. I'm hoping it will help but not sure of the best cleanser to use with this or any other tips... the dermo I went to said no cleanser (unrealistic considering I'm a chick and need to wear makeup to cover these mounds) and just SPF protection. It burns and stings a little after a minute of being on your skin but will go away in about 5 minutes or so, and worth it for the morning.

Do not use. No stars.
Reviewed on January 4, 2015

Hi there,

A specialist prescribed this as I have been recently diagnosed with rosacea and at a loss of which products and treatments to try. This product burnt my face. The next morning I woke up with more spots than before, redness and extremely sensitive, dry skin. Do not use or at least test on the inside of your elbow.

make my skin worse
Reviewed on September 4, 2014

My derm told me to use it all over the face, even on the area that has no acne. Days later, my whole face broke out even worse than before. And I'm getting pimple on the areas I didn't have pimples before. It also stings and itches really bad. I felt like I wanted to rip my face off and scratch it. I don't think the right thing for my skin.

Excellent topical for morning use.
Reviewed on June 18, 2014

I have used Finacea as part of my morning regimen for about a year. I love it!! My breakouts clear much more quickly, it smooths out my skin tone, and eases redness from current breakouts. One of my favorite parts--it wears fantastically under makeup! Other topicals I have used in the morning look greasy, cause peeling, or make my make up look just plain gross. But I have found that finacea works somewhat like a makeup primer as far as smoothing out skin and giving a good canvas for foundation application, it controls oiliness due to its matte finish, and it fights acne at the same time so its a win-win in my book. Even after a year of use, my face does sometimes itch for a few minutes after application, but it is very bearable and worth it. That is the only side effect--no peeling, red, raw feeling skin like some of the harsher topicals cause. I have found that it works best on the smaller pimples and does not do too much for cysts. However, I generally have many small pimples and only 1-2 cysts a month that clear somewhat quickly, so it is a great product for me. I have very problematic skin and moderate acne, so even though it has not completely cleared my skin or anything, I am very pleased with the results and would hate to see my skin without it!

Just started...
Reviewed on April 26, 2014

I applied the first dose of Finacea last evening. There was a very slight itching, but nothing more. I just applied the second dose this morning, with almost no itching. Im excited about the future results from using this product.

On the Road to recovery
Reviewed on March 16, 2014

If you are like me you have horrible acne caused by various factors. for me nothing works better than tackling the problem from inside and out! With that being said Finacea is only one of the 3 things I do to clear up my skin but this medication really works. Coming from someone that has been through it all. It's just magic! I love it and I am so happy I was prescribed this product!

by Leeann1031 on 04/09/2015 21:46
what else do you use? You said this is one of the three things. What do you wash your face with prior to application of this product?
fades hyper-pigmentaion left by acne!
Reviewed on December 22, 2013

finacea 15% gel works good on acne it makes pimples come to its head then they pop on there own.

but i have notice that this topical is AMAZING at fading my hyper-pigmentation left by my acne.

also it is very expensive if you have no insurance.

Very good product!
Reviewed on September 15, 2013

This product was amazing. I used it for quite a long time (mid-2008 to summer of 2010) and while it was for rosacea, it combatted my acne better than any other product. Unfortunately, it is a bit expensive as well as a prescription, and preserving the medication takes a bit of effort because it is sensitive to temperatures and needs to be kept chilled. This was not practical for my life longterm, but I have yet to find a product that works better.

by kbattgirl on 06/22/2014 18:34
FYI: i am holding a box of Finacea in my hands right now and on the back of the box it says, Store at 25 degrees C (77 degrees F). This is room temperature. This medication does not have to be chilled.
Happy with it, will continue. Need to take extra stuff though
Reviewed on July 30, 2013

I hope this will be helpful to someone, I will try to be short:

I have PCOS and have had acne for... 7 or 8 years now D: I've taken Roaccutane, birth control pills, tried all sorts of creams.

Right now I'm still taking birth control pills but I'm quitting in a few days. I don't want to depend on them for the rest of my life, plus, they never cleared my face completely. I started using Finacea about a month ago, and at the same time I started taking zinc, chromium, and primrose oil. Even though my face gets kind of oily, especially now that it's summer, I have no blackheads and no pimples whatsoever, I'm really really happy right now, I hope I can keep things this way. After I quit the pills I plan on taking DIM and maybe licorice extract, or some sort of anti-androgen. Also, I drink lots and lots of tea! Green tea and spearmint tea are great.