Erythromycin Oral Antibiotic

Recommended by 71% of visitors

Average price: $15.17

Most helpful review

By Nida, Canada on 09/17/2012

I was prescribed 250 mg pills to take day and night. It took around two weeks to see results but I stopped breaking out around 1 month after taking them consistently. I finished one full course and was completely clear, then after 7 months I began to break out again. I decided to do another course (one course is three weeks) and the effects lasted for a month. When I started to break out again I decided that I cannot take any gaps and began taking them everyday. I'm still breaking out but its not as bad as it was prior to taking these pills so I will continue to do so. Alongside this I used Retin A at night and Dalacin T (Topical cream and liquid) for the first couple of months, which really helped in fading scars. But that is a thing of the past... since I have been breaking out more consistently. These pills did help though... even if it was just for a short period of time and anyone who has acne knows that even if the affects are temporary, clear skin is always a blessing that cannot be quantified. I just wanted to add that I think I see a pattern now in how I break out... a week before that time of the month. So I know my acne is hormonal... I read about how spironolactone can help balance hormones so I am taking that now in conjunction with erythro. It's been about a week but I'm hoping from the depths of my heart that this will eliminate these severe breakouts. Wish me luck, I'm sending out my best wishes to all the acne-sufferers out there..

Pros:
  • Clear Acne completely for 7-8 months
  • Easy to take
  • Did not have any stomach pain because of it
Cons:
  • Stopped working after 7-8 months

20 out of 33 people found this review helpful

250 mg of Erythromycin Base.

Lactose NF, povidone USP, FD&C Yellow #6 and other ingredients. The capsule shell contains gelatin NF, titanium dioxide USP, FD&C Yellow #6.

Member reviews

By on

I don't know why my GP gave me these tablets, because they're not the go-to for acne and there are much better drugs out there geared specifically for it. The oral form is erythromycin is basically something best avoided - possibly the worst drug out there, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks this. Apart from causing crippling stomach pain, hunger pangs, dizziness, heart racing and depression, it doesn't really do anything helpful. These are all symptoms that are apparently very common, so someone please tell me why has this medication has not been taken off the market?

Pros

• Are there any?

Cons

• Stomach pain
  • Dizziness
  • Heart palpitations
  • Hunger pangs
  • Depression
  • light
  • for about a month
  • $ 25

By on

Just use it 2 times a day and your acne will clear up! I use it after I shower in the morning then when I'm about to sleep. The only thing to worry about is not moving your face around to much or it will peel off. So no more funny YouTube videos for you!

Pros

• Acne will clear up!

Cons

• Peels if you move your face a lot when it sets.
  • moderate
  • for a day or two
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I don't really like it i used benzaclin in the past and it worked wonders the dermo prescribed me enthro. because its the generic version but it never did, and it doesn't work no where near the same as benzaclin.

Pros

• none

Cons

• tight skin from dryness, stomach ache, causes pimples to get red
  • moderate
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Well, I started taking it at around mid October, that is my when my skin began improving. By mid November of 2010 my face was completely cleared! Not a break out in site! So much that I started only applying it every once in a while when a single spot came out of nowhere (very tiny spot) but for the most part I was acne free for about 5 months until... until late March... they started appearing again... I smothered my entire face with the topical erythromycin gel hoping that my old friend would destroy them, but no, nothing but a little dryness... Bottom line is, enjoy the few months of clear skin, but know that it will eventually come to an end...

Pros

• Worked great! (The topical gel form) Clear skin, for the first time in years! I felt so good! I didn't hate mirrors anymore!

Cons

• Unfortunately, good things come to an end... I guess the bacteria eventually became impervious to Erythromycins wrath...
  • moderately severe
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I'm an adult female, had acne since I was 13, due to hormones I believe as it's mostly on my chin.

Doctor prescribed me this, I use it morning and night, and I no longer get acne, AT ALL.

took maybe 1 week before i saw results.

A++ would recommend!

Pros

• Acne is gone

Cons

• If I skip 1 application, acne appears again.
  • Alcohol base, which can irritate skin a little.
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have moderate persistent acne. I'm very sensitive to basically every oral acne treatment which makes it so hard to cure it. I did accutane but had to stop after two and a half months from ear ringing...it was a godsend but I still had three pimples (because I didn't finish) I asked for Erythromycin because I hadn't tried it yet...the side effects for me is worse than accutane! ha. It gave me muscular skeletal pains when I move my chest. It feels sore....I'm sure this is good for some patients but not for me. For now I'll just continue using the topical Aczone which seems to be doing wonders.

Pros

• Cheap.

Cons

• stomach pains
  • diarrhea
  • chest pain
  • for a day or two
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

my physican prescrited the oral form of erythromycin to help with the initial breakout of the tretinoin gel he also prescribed along with it. he advised me to take me only one pill each morning and use the tretinoin gel each night. i used it for a couple weeks and i broke out severely (i know this is because of the tretinoin gel's initial breakout, not directly related towards erythromycin). about a month later i had a derm appointment and he informed me that most types of acne are already resistent to this antibiotic. so he told me to quit using this and prescribed me with two other antibiotics. he gave me the oral form of doxycycline and the topical lotion clindamycin. these two medications were also taken along with the tretinoin. please understand that i am not bashing this product because i have read that it does wonders for some people i just thought i should share my story!

Pros

• easy to take
  • insurance covered most of the expense

Cons

• derm told me that most acne are resistent to this antibiotic
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 15

Didn't work at all - try Duac once daily gel

Pros

• NONE

Cons

• Redness
  • Flaking (and I mean REALLY BAD!!)
  • soreness
  • No difference within 3 months
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 30

By on

The pills (333mg) 3 times a day and it didn't do anything. My skin remained 100% the same and actually got significantly better 1-3 weeks after stopping. I tried for a little over 3 months and there was zero change and little/no side effects. I would say it's still worth trying before other acne meds with more serious side effects.

Pros

• None

Cons

• Occasional stomach aches. Decrease in appetite slightly in the beginning.
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 10
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I had severe cystic acne when I began taking Ery Tabs..It helped control my breakouts and I didn't get as many cysts. Daily dosage was a bit of a problem for me, but if you want clear skin, it's worth it..I'm not on it anymore, though..Now I take Minocycline two times daily while using differin at night and benzoyl peroxide in the morning.

Pros

• Got rid of my severe cystic acne!!
  • Minimizes breakouts

Cons

• Daily dosage was way too much..I started off taking 3 pills a day, but then it was increased to four!!
  • moderately severe
  • for more than a year
  • $ 40
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.