Erythromycin Oral Antibiotic

Recommended by 71% of visitors

Average price: $15.17

Most helpful review

By Nida, Canada on 09/17/2012

I was prescribed 250 mg pills to take day and night. It took around two weeks to see results but I stopped breaking out around 1 month after taking them consistently. I finished one full course and was completely clear, then after 7 months I began to break out again. I decided to do another course (one course is three weeks) and the effects lasted for a month. When I started to break out again I decided that I cannot take any gaps and began taking them everyday. I'm still breaking out but its not as bad as it was prior to taking these pills so I will continue to do so. Alongside this I used Retin A at night and Dalacin T (Topical cream and liquid) for the first couple of months, which really helped in fading scars. But that is a thing of the past... since I have been breaking out more consistently. These pills did help though... even if it was just for a short period of time and anyone who has acne knows that even if the affects are temporary, clear skin is always a blessing that cannot be quantified. I just wanted to add that I think I see a pattern now in how I break out... a week before that time of the month. So I know my acne is hormonal... I read about how spironolactone can help balance hormones so I am taking that now in conjunction with erythro. It's been about a week but I'm hoping from the depths of my heart that this will eliminate these severe breakouts. Wish me luck, I'm sending out my best wishes to all the acne-sufferers out there..

Pros:
  • Clear Acne completely for 7-8 months
  • Easy to take
  • Did not have any stomach pain because of it
Cons:
  • Stopped working after 7-8 months

20 out of 33 people found this review helpful

250 mg of Erythromycin Base.

Lactose NF, povidone USP, FD&C Yellow #6 and other ingredients. The capsule shell contains gelatin NF, titanium dioxide USP, FD&C Yellow #6.

Member reviews

By on

I was given the tablets of this to take for an unrelated infection, but I noticed that within a few days, it started to clear my skin really well. You may have to face a few days with an upset tummy though and I'm not sure that it can be used as a long term method of spot prevention.

Pros

• Cleared skin well without drying it out.

Cons

• Caused an upset stomach and you can build up resistance to it.
  • light
  • for about a week
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used this in the beginning of 6 grade (I am starting 7 grade this year) and they almost completely cleared my skin. I was so happy and confident. But I was younger and a lot less knowledgeable about acne so i thought once my skin was clear I didn't need to take the pills anymore. BIG mistake. my skin went from very light acne to mild-moderate. I was just prescribed these pills again and i hope they will be as effective. But you must be very consistent and patient with these pills. But they are definitely worth it.

Pros

• almost completely cleared skin
  • didn't dry skin out
  • pills are easy to take for me

Cons

• must be very consistent
  • must be patient
  • moderate
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I took the pill form of this antibiotics for 5months and it cleared me up completely, however, the results didnt last and i developed a resistance to it after 5 months :(

Pros

• started to clear acne in less than a week
  • no side effects for me

Cons

• results didnt last
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This stuff has changed my life!!!! It only took a week for me to notice a difference, my self esteem is higher than ever because of this stuff , I am no longer afraid to go on dates and this stuff has really changed my life. It didn't take a month either it worked right away, i had moderate acne , mainly on my cheeks and for head till i was introduced to this product by my aunt.My skin is looking better than ever, i use the 2 percent topical solution.

Pros

• WORKS GREAT,For mild to moderate acne,wont dry out skin, pimples disappear in 2 days

Cons

• Sticky, smells weird
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Prescribed to me by derm. Does not work after a while. :(

Pros

• Worked for about 3 months

Cons

• DOES NOT WORK LONG TERM
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i never struggled with acne until this year (i'm 21). my skin was flawless so even when two or three pimples popped up, i freaked out. i went to the doctor and he prescribed me the erthromycin solution and i've only been using it for less than a week and it's already worked wonders. 90% of my face is cleared up. i had broken out really bad along my forehead last week due to my period and my entire forehead is mostly clear now (minus a few small pimples). i know everyone's skin is different and this might not work for everyone, but i think that simply trying this is worth it! good luck!

Pros

• works like MAGIC and the solution was cheap (if you have insurance)

Cons

• my skin was a little dry after i used it a couple times but i incorporated lotion into my regimen and the dryness disappeared :)
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 2.83
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

You MUST try this if benzoyl peroxide by itself isn't properly working for you

Pros

• It actually worked! Must say got a little doubtful after a months of use where acne seemed worse, and skin oil levels were quite unstable which is probably what led to the worsened acne. However my persistence paid off, where after 3 months of taking 250mg 1 hour before breakfast and dinner, im completely clear! Was using in combination with Quinoderm5 which were both perscribed to me by GP for free.
  • Also off dairy & chocolate, and am using Oxy Wash and anti-oil balm.

Cons

• Made acne worse for the first month, and extremely oilly, but don't care anymore, im spot free!
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This product is hard to say... because i took 230mg orally for a week and didn't see any major change. the redness and pimples on my forehead continue to maintain. Then I upgrade to 530mg oral antibiotic and it still didn't make no mayor change.... So now I'm switching to AZELEX (AZELAIC ACID CREAM) I heard tremendously good reveals for this optic... so i'm crossing my finger it'll help. beside... takin long time oral antibiotic is not good for you.

Pros

• negative

Cons

• got more break out.
  • moderate
  • for a day or two
  • $ 40
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i still have to try it out a little longer.

Pros

• easy to take, no stomach pains yet!

Cons

• i've been using this product for about 5 days now and i still am getting cysts on my face. it has cleared up some redness but it hasnt gotten rid of the cysts.
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've been on the solution for a little over three months and it hasn't done much for my skin. Maybe make them a bit smaller than before but my bumps aren't huge. Some people say they aren't noticeable but their noticeable to me and I want clear skin. I still have blackheads and the occasional white heads. Doctor switched me from tetracycline pills to ethromycin 333mg delayed version pills and these did nothing for my skin. Requesting a new derm and a new medication next time I see him. I have to pay for my prescription in cash so when my money isn't well spent its a problem.

Pros

• Price was 2 dollars for the pills.
  • minor to no changes. Maybe smaller bumps? Bumps weren't that big to begin with.

Cons

• Solution can spill easily don't give you much.
  • Pills did absolutely nothing!
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 30
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.