Erythromycin Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.5/5 - 209 reviews

Brand: Erythromycin

Erythromycin Product Pictured:
250 mg of Erythromycin Base.

Lactose NF, povidone USP, FD&C Yellow #6 and other ingredients. The capsule shell contains gelatin NF, titanium dioxide USP, FD&C Yellow #6.

Seem to be working
Reviewed on August 22, 2016

I have only been taking them for a few days but noticed a difference after a day or two of taking them, I havent had an IB from these antibiotics & I havent been breaking out as much already only maybe one little whitehead a day (this is a massive improvement for me!). Ive still got a few breakouts which are healing slowly but its so nice not to be dealing with more breakouts while the other ones go away. My only thing with this antibiotics is DO NOT take it with food that was my biggest mistake after the first day I started to get really bad stomach pains feeling like I was gonna be sick & it really made my stomach bloat and become sore, this lasted about 2 days (sick feeling lasted a day & tenderness of the upper stomach lasted about 2 days). Ive started taking them 1 hour before food or 2 hours after & I havent been getting the side effects anymore but if I did take them with food I would really regret it because the side effects are horrible! So far so good so Im going to keep taking them & hopefully get 100% clear! Ive also been drinking alot of water with them because they make me feel really dry plus ive been having about a spoon full of full fat greek yogurt in the day just to help my stomach to add some good bacteria back, & luckily I havent broken out from eating it and im normally sensitive to dairy.

Btw Im also using differin gel every second night all over my face & I take 2 tablets in the morning & 2 at night.

idk
Reviewed on August 11, 2016

I went to the doc and he gave me erythromycin 30 tablets 250mg. 1 in the morning and 1 at night. After a few days i realised my skin broke out. I really dont know whats wrong. It has only been a week . should i continue or discard ?

by Sadien on 08/21/2016 17:25
Keep going, results will come. If not, go to your derma
Not good for me.
Reviewed on March 26, 2016

I was prescribed a months worth of erythromycin after being on lymocycline for 2 years. I was told to take 2 tablets twice a day. On the first day I felt a bit sick in the day, only to be up all night feeling extremely sick with terrible stomach cramps. The second day I carried on as normal unaware that I was experiencing this because of the tablets and again felt extremely lightheaded and nauseous all day that I was completely put off them. I stopped taking them then tried again a few weeks after and - you guessed - I felt awfully sick to the point it would ruin my entire day and I could only lie in bed. Perhaps I should've stuck with it and seen the month through but I would rather deal with a few spots than feeling physically sick all day. I wouldn't recommend these from my experience but it may be different for you!

Would not recommend.
Reviewed on March 25, 2016

Its been almost a month since I was prescribed to take Erythromycin 400mg tablets twice a day by my dermatologist. My first set of tablets lasted for about two weeks, initially got stomach cramps on the first day but after taking it 1-2 hours after eating I didn't get them anymore. I noticed that while taking Emycin, my acne (moderate to severe, mostly cystic) didn't really get better but it seemed to reduce the growth of new ones. I did find it really strange though how my acne took longer to heal than usual, some I felt did not improve at all (literally), and some felt like they were slowly growing bigger (than what I've had before) under the skin. After the two weeks, I decided to repurchase another set because I thought maybe this antibiotic needed more time to work and because it seemed to reduce the amount of new pimples I usually get. But on my third week, I suddenly experienced really bad upper abdominal pains that would go up into my chest. For three days I would get these pains after eating and it would come and go whenever I was awake. My doctor told me it was acid reflux and probably not the Emycin but because my symptoms didn't stop, I decided to get examined at the hospital instead. They found out my liver results were not normal (it had gone up) and I was told to stop the Emycin because my body wasn't taking it well. Thanks God I am feeling much better now, hopefully my liver results will be back to normal by my next scheduled blood test.

So yep, I wouldn't recommend this antibiotic, or any antibiotic actually.. realised that my body/health is much more important than my acne problem. Anyways, this is getting really long but I hope this review will be helpful to someone. Just my two cents, do think again before taking oral medication to treat acne and perhaps consider using a topical treatment instead but nonetheless, good luck!

Very good, and after only 3 months
Reviewed on March 2, 2016

I have been on Erythromycin Stearate 500mg tablets, twice a day, for almost 3 months now in order to clear my facial acne and they are working extremely well. Having tried numerous other antibiotics and topical gels, this is definitely the one which has worked best in this amount of time. Before taking this antibiotic, I would have described my acne as moderate, sometimes severe (on the bad days), but now my skin is almost completely clear, every so often a medium sized spot might appear on my cheek/below my chin but clears much faster and is visibly much smaller than before. I am now really just waiting on my acne scars and bigger, older spots to heal, but after only three months, I cannot believe the improvement. I really only accepted taking these in order to be able to quickly move onto Roaccutane as my doctor gave me permission to be referred after this treatment, but to my surprise, they actually began to work, I couldn't believe it, so happy with my progress so far, hopefully this continues and I will soon be acne free! I would recommend everyone to try this treatment, although treatments work differently for different people, I would advise to at least give it a try.

by lilley_1 on 08/12/2016 04:46
do you breakout the first week ?
Really disappointed
Reviewed on September 23, 2015

I was prescribed to take 3 pills a day for 2 months by my dermatologist. On top of the antibiotic, I use a topical cream called Tactuo (aka Epiduo in the States) before I go to bed as well. I am 16 years old with mild acne on my cheeks- mostly consisting of small white heads, red bumps and lots of redness. I'm currently on my 7/8 week of these antibiotics and am extremely frustrated and disappointed with the results. It seems as if the antibiotics did minimal to nothing to my acne as I'm still suffering from constant breakouts. However, I did notice the first couple weeks my acne was improving slowly, but now it's as if it has gotten worse. Don't know if my body has become resistant to it already, but was really hoping this was my cure!! Guess it's back to the dermatologist :(

WORST ANTIBIOTIC
Reviewed on September 12, 2015

I never write reviews and have gone out of my way on a dying laptop to let you know how bad my experience on erythromycin tablets has been ... and its only the SECOND DAY. took it at 9pm last night.. then from 1am (and now its 1pm) I have had cramps and been vomiting and my cramps are still occurring. its worse than period pain. didnt think i'd be so affected by this but I will not be taking this again because i cant bear this pain 12 hours and still counting. going to call my doctor on monday. BTW lymecycline didnt have any side efffects for me but just stopped working after 6 months to clear acne.

Minimal results
Reviewed on September 6, 2015

This medication barely controlled new outbreaks and made me constipated. Not worth your time or money.

Does nothing...
Reviewed on August 16, 2015

I started taking these over 3 months ago and they havent helped my acne atall, I still have spots all over my face and they haven't cleared it up at all and my face is actually worse than when I began with more spots.

It's alright....
Reviewed on May 24, 2015

This has worked well for me in conjunction with Benzoyl Peroxide topical solution but now my skin is clear i think im going to just go for the acne.org regimen as it has brilliant reviews. I am skeptical as to whether or not these antibiotics have given me side effects, i've been taking them for years now and was unaware of when to take them in regards to food timings etc but now I think about it it may have given me anxiety and uncomfortable stomach issues.... I thought those were just my problems naturallly but I guess we'll see when I come off them!

Question: I would like to stop taking these pills right now. Does anyone know if you can just abruptly stop antibiotics or do you have to wean yourself off them? (The doctor wanted me to stop taking them anyway a few months ago btw so that isn't an issue, just wondering if it'll give me side effects etc).