Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel reviews

3.7/5 - 498 reviews

Brand: Epiduo

Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

Adapalene (0.1%), Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%).

Acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, docusate sodium, edetate disodium, glycerin, isohexadecane, poloxamer 124, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sorbitan oleate.

Short term effects
Reviewed on March 12, 2017

Worked for a short while to clear mild/moderate acne then skin adjusted to it and it wasn't having any effect. Makes skin burn unlike anything I've ever experienced. Good in the short term but results don't last in my case. It works to treat pimples but doesn't do much to prevent. I was still breaking out while using this. Didn't anything for clogged pores or acne scars.

Epiduo saved my skin!
Reviewed on March 9, 2017

I am so grateful for this product. I suffered from moderate and cystic acne for around 2 years before seeing a dermatologist that presecribed me Epiduo in combination with antibiotics. My acne was completely gone 1 month later. After 2 months I got off the antibiotics but my skin is still clear - all thanks to Epiduo!

However, I should mention that the first week of Epiduo was hell. My skin was flaky, lots of irritation etc. My solution to this was to use a Cetaphil cleanser + moisturizer before applying Epiduo. This combination helped me a lot and my skin irritation stopped.

Nevertheless, I am now suffering from really oily skin due to my Epiduo treatment. This clearly bums me out but with the help of certain makeup and oil absorbing powders (transparent powder) I have managed to control this. It's an irritating side effect but with 100% clear skin - I can deal with a bit of oil.

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize
Reviewed on March 9, 2017

This is the only product that worked as well as accutane did for me. I've been using it for 2 years.

There seems to be a lot of people giving up on Epiduo/Tactuo/Tactupump way too soon. You guys gotta push through the first month of stingy/raw/sunburned feeling skin. Just Use it at night before going to bed..... then MOISTURIZE during the day.

WORKS WONDERS
Reviewed on March 8, 2017

I had moderate to severe acne and now six months later after starting epiduo ALL my spots are gone and I haven't had a breakout in a very long time. It has also helped clear my scarring and evened my skin texture. If you try epiduo my one piece of advice is you HAVE to stick with it. All the low reviews I have read are people who have not kept using it because they broke out more or it stung. It is an extremely strong gel that your skin will take some time to get used to (for me about a month). It does dry your skin out and make it very sensitive and scaly and flakey, but if you really want to get rid fo your acne those symptoms do not last a long time and soon they go taking your acne with them.

It is a very harsh experience because you are peeling away the outer layers of your skin so the treatment can work deeply and therefore promoting cell turnover and fresh skin (without scarring!).

Warning you do breakout very badly the first month but that is epiduos way of pushing ALL your spots out , that were forming, at once that would have just come out at different time intervals.

Not for me... Skin ruined after one application
Reviewed on March 5, 2017

I read all the reviews here before using Epiduo, feeling excited that it might just be my cure. I know my skin is a bit sensitive but I didn't expect this. After one application only, my face started burning the second day and got a lot worse on the third day. My skin is insanely red, burning, tight, slightly swollen, oozing pus or some sort of liquid. OMG if I didnt have the same experience six years ago (due to a different product, probably with BP too) , I'd be crying in horror right now. From what I have read, I think my reaction is more severe than just dryness, flaking, peeling etc. as described by most. I'm just glad I didnt put Epiduo on my whole face, but almost half of my face is currently ruined. I have stopped using it after thr first application and dont intend to ever go near it again.

Obviously it has been very effective for a lot of people, it's a real shame I react so badly to it. For people who want to try this, beware of the possibility of getting a major bad reaction and be prepared to deal with it. I hope it works for you!

by Jimbo913 on 03/07/2017 12:18
Sorry to hear. At the first sign of redness I washed it off and started the next night with 50/50 Epiduo and Cetaphil eczema moisturizer and I am doing great on Epiduo. You must use good moisturizer and only use Epiduo at night. Always apply good sunscreen if goong outside. Only use a sensitive skin soap like Cetaphil sensitve that Dan recommended
To early to tell but use this moisturizer
Reviewed on March 4, 2017

I have used BP and retin A .025% for years so I thought Epiduo would be easier on my skin but it turned it very red the first application even with the high end moisturizer the Derm gave me. It burned enough that I wouldn't be able to sleep so I washed it off after 30 mins and moisturized again.

The doc told me to stop applying until my skin was no longer red but I really wanted to get my skin use to the meds and start working, so I bought cetaphil eczema moisturizing lotion. I mixed a pump into an equal amount of cetaphil and applied it. No burning, and I was able to leave it on all night. Woke up the next day and my face was pale compared to my pre epiduo complexion. So thrilled and this $18 Cetaphil blows away the Docs $70 AHA moisture serum.

Highly recommend the eczema moisturizer which is safe for babies on a daily bases! Only two days in so wish me luck.

Less oil but still loads of acne
Reviewed on March 3, 2017

I went to the dermatologist and got prescribed this for my cystic acne which started almost overnight about 6 months ago. I had really high hopes that it would work because all the OTC stuff that used to work on my non-cystic acne didn’t have any affect at all on this new development.

Long story short, I will give it 2 stars because it did manage to cut down oil production on my face which was really positive at first. I thought it would lead to less acne and less cysts. But the opposite happened. My skin got so dry and irritated at first. After 3 weeks, the dryness turned to just red and inflamed - like my entire face! It was itchy and painful to the touch. I talked to my dermatologist and they told me to soldier on. I did until I went to my primary care doctor (for something unrelated) and while I was there I just mentioned my face. I mean, it was obvious, kind of the elephant in the room. She said she could’t help me but recommended that I call a lady named Pamela at Ninja Skincare and that she could help me. That she had a lot of patients who used that product with a lot of luck.

So I called and sure enough this lady knew her stuff when it came to acne. I learned so much about skin, my skin and what I had been doing wrong. Firstly, I learned that I was likely sensitive to benzoyl which is pretty interesting since even when I talked to my dermatologist that never came up as a possibility. Then she told me about stress and how bad it was for acne prone skin (I am going through a divorce so this made so much sense) and gave me a few lifestyle things that I could work on to lower my breakouts. Oh and that epiduo didn’t work most likely because it has a bunch of oils in it that end up clogging the pores. And I got the Ninja product which within 1 week I could tell a difference and within 3 weeks, my acne was almost completely gone with the exception of one huge cyst that I had had for about a month. Now I am at about 5 weeks and couldn’t be happier. I was with epiduo for 6 weeks and saw almost no changes at all and now 5 weeks with Ninja and everything is completely healed.

I know a lot of people have had luck with Epiduo but at this point, I am not sure why or how it works for other people. I had much more luck with other products.

Still premature but noticing results right away
Reviewed on February 17, 2017

Hi, In a last attempt at doing something for my skin before taking the accutane plunge, I saw the doc and asked for the Epiduo (tactuopump here in Canada) cause I had heard on YouTube from a few people it cleared their skin up surprisingly well- they all appeared to have accutane like results so I thought what the heck. Tane is scary and even though I'm in no hurry to take it the possibility is fast approaching. My skin was under control up until about 4 months ago with Neostrata glycol if line, then I had an ingenious idea to try oil cleansing which SCREWED UP MY SKIN. Ugh I ended up with so many under the skin bumps that have taken over two months to surface and I am in a point of cystic acne that is moderately covering my entire lower half of my face. Absolutely horrific compared to the progress I had been seeing before. Anyhow, Epiduo has dried the hell out of my skin, it's tight, it hurts, not ideal BUT it had cleared about 85 percent of my active acne within my first week of use. I understand I may purge but I am quite surprised at the fast progress. The dryness pain is worth it I just want the bumps gone. If this works and I don't have to go on accutane it'll be a blessing. Will update soon

I thought it was a miracle cream... Until I suffered sensitivity and extreme breakout
Reviewed on January 19, 2017

My initial experience with my epi-duo cream was awesome - I felt like I'd finally found something that actively prevented any new active formations on my face, and my skin-tone evened out quite noticeably, making my skin appear to have a healthy glow.

My application was consistent, being every second night. I would cleanse skin, wait until it dried and then apply a thin film of the cream over the majority of my face, however I would focus the application on my problem areas (outer cheeks and chin) and spread any leftover to the rest of my face.

Within the first week, I FELT LIKE I saw results. While my skin did appear to purge slightly, the cystic acne I had was quickly dried out - intensely - and would flake off within a day or two. This meant the scar underneath was also noticeable muted when compared to the scars of my previously active acne. Of course I was overjoyed...

A few weeks into using this cream, I began noticing no increase in improvement. If anything, my skin began worsening. Frustrated, I maintained consistency with application. It was one night almost immediately after applying that my skin began burning severely - nothing was different to my routine so I was troubled. I had to wash the cream off after 20 minutes of the same intensity of burning. Afterwards, in a desperate attempt to quench my skin, I applied an all-natural moisturiser, spf free, but this only burnt my skin more, so I had to wash it off immediately.

I haven't used the product since - in my eyes, anything that burns the sheeeet out of your face isn't going to be good for you, holistically. My skin showed no noticable change, but now, 3 weeks after ceasing to use Epiduo, my skin has worsened - the acne has now spread to my jawline, and cystic-like bumps are appearing more frequently.

I am frustrated - but I don't want to turn to this product again. While it provided immediate results, they were short-lived and seemed to come at quite some cost.

Reviewed on January 7, 2017

I started using Epiduo about 4 years ago. It helped quite a bit at first, but dried out my skin so much. It's effects have decreased a lot and my skin is at a stable level, still getting breakouts. In between these four years, i have been on three different types of antibiotics, birth control, topical antibiotics, neither of which helped more than Epiduo did. However, everyone is different.