Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel reviews

3.7/5 - 406 reviews

Adapalene (0.1%), Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%).

Acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, docusate sodium, edetate disodium, glycerin, isohexadecane, poloxamer 124, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sorbitan oleate.

Wow.
Reviewed on January 23, 2015

I never take the time to write reviews on products but I felt the need to write about this. I'm 20 and I've been struggling with acne for about 5 years. It has never been severe, but definitely noticeable and ongoing. I've tried everything. Every drug store product, home remedies, popular acne systems. Nothing made a big difference. Acne has prevented me from having a lot of self confidence. It SUCKS. About two weeks ago I went to my general doctor to ask for a referral to a dermatologist because I had finally had enough. She prescribed me Epiduo so I would have something until I could actually visit the dermatologist. I started using the Epiduo twice daily - once in the morning and once at night. My pimples starting to go away but I quickly learned that twice a day is entirely too much. My face started burning and becoming dry (I have sensitive, dry skin as it is.) so I stopped using it for a day and then I continued to only use it at night. All of my existing pimples AND blackheads are becoming non existent. My skin hasn't been this clear in years. Along with Epiduo, I drink a lot of water daily, and I use Cetaphil as a moisturizer. You MUST moisturize with a lotion such as this so your pores don't get clogged.

Yes, burning and dried out skin will occur because of how strong this product is. Do not over use it and if your skin burns too much and gets too red, stop using it for a day or so and then begin again but maybe use less. Don't forget moisturizing is so important, as well as exfoliating. I use an apricot scrub from CVS every 3 days.

Thank you Epiduo!! And good luck to the rest of you users.

Scared of the results
Reviewed on January 22, 2015

My daughter was prescribed this but based on the reviews that I am reading, I am a little scared to have her try it. This is expensive and will be such a waste of money if it doesn't work.

Made everything so much worse.
Reviewed on January 21, 2015

I know everyone recommends "sticking to it", but honestly, you have to know when to stop too. I had pretty bad acne, I would always have at least 2 or 3 cystic pimples at almost any given time plus blackheads under the skin and whiteheads on and off. I also had some mild hyperpigmentation and scarring.

It was my doctor (GP NOT a dermatologist - please people, go to a dermatologist) who recommended this to me while I was waiting to see a derm, which was going to take about 6 months. My doctor told me that my skin would purge for 1-2 weeks, and then start getting better. The pharmacist told me 2-3 weeks it would get worse, and then better. However, I used this product for 5 solid weeks and my acne got worse each and every day. My skin was burning, flaking and red and I was breaking out like I had never broken out before. It was an absolute nightmare.

Finally, I decided enough was enough and I stopped using it. And wouldn't you know, the acne started going away. A few months later, I met with a real dermatologist (not a GP playing derm) and took a 6 month course of Accutane. It totally saved me. Really, really wish I had just waited for that because this Epiduo crap (Tactuo here in Canada) left me with severe scarring.

Wow.
Reviewed on January 21, 2015

Okay, so I've been struggling with acne for 7 years. Technically 9 years, but that doesnt matter. I tried everything. I learned my skin was allergic to salicylic acid which stinks because a lot of treatments use it. My skin would be so oily because it made my skin so dry... I bought expensive treatments, I bought cheap treatments, AND I used natural alternatives. (I always start with natural because I hate western medicine) Nothing ever worked. I changed my eating habits, my sleeping patterns, everything you would read in a magazine and a book... I swear I tried everything. Sometimes it would work for a week then get really bad. I went to the dermatologist once and it never helped, so I refused to go and just tried to live with it, which was a bad idea because my face was covered with bumps and scars and blackheads. So so so embarrassing, especially surrounded by people who have actual flawless skin. The pressure is so high these days, so one thing I learned is thag you can't ever judge a person on the outside because they usually can't help it!

Anyways-

My mom took my sister to the dermatologist because her acne was pretty bad as well. I refused to go, but my mom told the doctor about me and he prescribed my sister EpiDuo. He said I could just it if I wanted to. Knowing stubborn old me, I didn't want to use it. Weeks passed, and my sister' skin started to clear up. She just did the instructions and her skin was flawless. I was so jealous. And of course, my mom bugged me everyday how I should use it. So one night, I was so tired if my embarrassing acne that I had everywhere and I had been dealing with it for SO long, that I gave in. I used it. And I washed my face with Cetaphil every morning and night and applied EpiDuo every night. I think I started in November. I also stopped wearing makeup, because I'm a ballet dancer and I have no need to wear it because it just settles in my pores...

SO, I've used it basically every single day and it's January now, and my skin is changed! It's BEAUTIFUL. It started out very dry- My skin is very sensitive. I think my acne made it even more sensitive. It was never "worse before it gets better" (which is strange because that's how I always was) Also, DO NOT APPLY AT THE BEACH BECAUSE YOUR SKIN IS ASKING FOR A BURN. I applied it at the beach, only once, at night, and the next day my skin fried. It was awful. I couldn't even make facial expressions because it was so sore. I learned to use a lighter cleanser (Cetaphil) and moisturize with the Heavy Cetaphil moustrizer. Now, my skin is clear and I can run my hand over my forehead and not feel bumps! I haven't had that in such a long time. It's also not as oily which is rare for me. I am so grateful it has worked for me. I can't even tell you how much more confident I feel in myself now. The only thing is, I had awful blackheads and they're better because they come out easily, but they're still there.... But I can't complain because it's cleared up my skin!

Okay, I guess
Reviewed on January 19, 2015

I used this for about 5 months and it worked at first, it got rid of a few bumps. After that it just controlled my acne for a long time and then the acne just came back. It was just a temporary fix and it wasn't very effective. My sister had mild acne and just within a few months her acne went away using Epiduo, so if you have mild acne I'd give it a shot. If you don't, it's not really worth it and it doesn't do much.

It really works!
Reviewed on January 18, 2015

I've only just started using epiduo, I'm on my fourth day and I can already see a difference with my acne. Although my skin is very very dry and itchy. After reading lots and lots of other reviews this is normal and usually goes after a month or so. I've been on birth control pills, three courses of different antibiotics and used thousands of over the counter and branded products, which unfortunately none have improved my skin. I finally went back to the doctors after a few weeks of a really bad breakout which wasn't helping my anxiety at all. I went to the doctors wanting to come out with a referral to a dermotolitist but my doctor said we have to try at least another course of antibiotics before the dermotolitist even considers something like accutane. This is when she prescribed me Epiduo, which was very hard to get hold of in my local pharmacies. After my first night of applying the gel, I saw a difference the morning after with my acne. My problem areas weren't as aggravated but were very dry, which I'm sure can be helped my a good moisturiser. I keep telling myself to stick to using epiduo as it obviously helps acne prone skin. Would defiantly recommend even after 4 days! Stay positive!

works for some people but not for me DONT USE TWICE A DAY
Reviewed on January 12, 2015

used it for a year and diddnt work whatsoever stopped using it and my face was better but it works with some people but i started using it again after my doctor told me used it 2 a day and ended up with chemical like burns

Nahh
Reviewed on January 7, 2015

My dermatologist made me use Epiduo for over a year, I would put it on almost every zit every single night for a very long time and literally, it did NOTHING. I'm happy to read that it helped for some people here but when I used it it didn't do a thing. She gave me some other gel but doesn't seem to do much as well. I have very cystic, red, big zits and a lot of blackheads so yeah.. still same old skin, nothing changed.

THIS WORKS! Stick with it!!! PLEASEEEE!!!!!
Reviewed on January 6, 2015

I read sooo many reviews before I tried this! I was so desperate I was a total pizza face! I had around 60-80 zits on the jaw area, Can't count and it was very cystic! I used it the first two days and I woke up and my face was COVERED in white heads. Counted 32 just on one side of my jaw and was horrified and how bad it had made my acne! You have to realize this medicine pulls out ALL of the bad things in your skin so it really does get worse before it gets better. After about a week, I'd say I had about 15 zits new zits left and all the others were healing (still looked nasty!!) Then week 2-4 was just all healing. By week 4 (my 21st birthday) all that was left were some bad scars! I'd say for all the scaring to completely go away it took about 6 months. But it was easy to put cover-up and you could not even notice!

PLEASE DO THIS: After all the white heads come up, get a steaming rag and keep in on your problem area, I would do this for about 10 minutes (make sure it stays hot/warm) most of the zits will open up and all ooze out and then clean and put the cream over it (Gross, I know). I think this is key to speed up the healing process (watched a youtube video on this process)

Give it a try!
Reviewed on December 30, 2014

I was prescribed this in September, and I have mild acne, mostly under the skin. I used this product for two weeks and it was absolute hell. Like everyone else, I used too much at first, and my face burned till I thought I was going to die. I stopped using it after that. Then, in November, I decided to give it a try again and have now been using it for almost 8 weeks. I use it with an excellent Cervae moisturizer. Your skin will definitely get worse before it gets better. I know that no one wants to hear that, and I certainly didn't, but if you have the guts to stick it out you will be glad that you did. I still have minor issues going on, but they're getting better slowly. My skin has gotten oilier, which I did not expect, but it is overall a lot better. I will check back here with this review when I complete 2-3 months so you guys can see where I am with it