Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel reviews

3.7/5 - 446 reviews

Brand: Epiduo

Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

Adapalene (0.1%), Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%).

Acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, docusate sodium, edetate disodium, glycerin, isohexadecane, poloxamer 124, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sorbitan oleate.

Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

Amazing, however doesn't work forever.
Reviewed on October 4, 2015

I'm a 17 year old male, with combination skin. I've been suffering from acne ever since I first hit puberty when I was around 12 years old. It's been up and down for me, but it got especially bad in Grade 10 and onwards. I tried everything on the market that I possibly could get my hands on, including proactiv, but nothing seemed to really work. Frustrated, I went to see my local walk in clinic to see if they could help, and they prescribed me Clindoxyl. It was a great product, as it helped reduce my acne greatly, but it caused me to get a huge zit once in awhile. When my prescription for it ran out, and I stopped using it, I slowly started breaking out again. Before things got out of hand, I went to see the doctor again, and this time they prescribed me Tactupump. It's definitely a lot more expensive than Clindoxyl, but it worked quite well for me, so it was kinda worth it. I've noticed many other reviews mention how Tactupump is drying, can burn and causes redness, and also how it can cause you to break out when you first use it. I think because I've used other strong products in the past, that now my skin is tough to this kind of stuff. I never had the "breakout" while using this, and it never burned, but apparently, it caused my face to be more red than normal. Tactupump definitely caused my skin to dry out, but if you apply moisturizer the morning after, it's all good. I used about a pea sized amount every night before I go to bed, and wake up the next day feeling a lot cleaner. I've used this product for about 2 months now, and I've noticed quite a difference. The first couple of days, I noticed it got rid of a group of zits that I've had for forever that I just couldn't get rid of, but this got rid of it in like 2-3 days. It took about 1-2 weeks to start seeing real results, but now I'm very pleased. I'm not perfect quite yet, but compared to what I used to be, it's better. I started feeling confident and happy again. I still remember being so scared to try this because I was very skeptical if it would work, but I'm glad I took the risk.

However, at the end of the 2 months, it stopped being as effective, and I've had a big breakout on the side of me face and a bit on my forehead. I went to see the doctor again, and this time she prescribed me oral medication and Clindoxyl again. Hopefully this works...

I think the problem with users who rated this product negatively is that they overused it or used it wrongly. You're only supposed to use it once a night before you sleep, and use a pea sized amount and put it all over your face. If you use it more than once a night or if you use too much at once, I think it would wreck your skin, so be careful.

In short,

Clears up your acne effectively

Can help with scars/marks

Prevents further breakouts

Can be quite drying

Causes redness/burning

Expensive ($130 in Canada if not covered by insurance)

Doesn't work forever (at least for me)

Good luck to everyone trying this out! Hopefully it will for you as well!

Weekly Epiduo Review!
Reviewed on September 4, 2015

I've rated 3 for my current review. However as weeks progress on comments below my rating might change according to my experiences.

Age: 20

Sex: Female

Skin type: Olive skin, Oily, Medium Pores.

Acne history: Never had acne, just a few spots here and there on my face.

Acne: Hit me at 20 - moderate acne such as blackheads, white heads, lots of cysts around lower cheeks and jawline and a bit of spots on my back.

Acne Treatment History: I undertook SGA at Clearskin Clinic Australia: FAIL - WORSENED acne by 3 x

Current Acne Treatment: Finally went to a dermatologist. He prescribed me Epiduo and Doryx 50mg.

Routine: Morning- 1. Wash with Cetaphil Foam Cleanser.

2. Dry with a anti-bacterial cloth

and if I'm leaving the house:

3. Apply Cetaphil oil-free moisturiser spf 30

if I'm not leaving the house:

3. Apply Cetaphil oil-free moisturiser

After i eat breakfast: I take 2 Doryx tablets with water.

Night- 1. Wash with Cetaphil Foam Cleanser.

2. Dry with anti-bacterial cloth

3. Apply Epiduo (pea-sized amount)

I put Epiduo every second night on my face as the dermatologist recommended (Always listen to what the dermatologist recommends as everyones skin is different).

So on the nights i do not put it i put Cetaphil oil-free moisturiser.

I will be writing a weekly review on this post. It will be UPDATED every week. The rest of the weeks will be posted as a comment on this post.

Week 1. Skin: Very dry, flaky, itchy, red

Acne: A few old pimples went but a lot of new ones appeared.

Week 2. Skin: Slight Improvement - dry, flaky, red

Acne: Its like a continued cycle of a few old ones leaving but a lot of new ones appearing and my back has gotten SO MUCH more pimples to which i have never had in my entire life.

Week 3. Skin: My skin has gotten used to Epiduo. It's only a little dry but moisturising quickly fixes it. Still a little itchy and red.

Acne: During this week i felt like some days my skin looked like wow its improving and other days i feel like a got stung by 20 bees. Its like a cycle. But i feel like the new ones that come quickly go and my back is still really bad.

I will now be posting weekly reviews on the comments. If you would like to ask any questions go ahead.

by ActualSelf on 09/06/2015 22:07
Week 4: Skin: Dry, Red and not as itchy Started off crazy at the start of the week. I nearly gave up but its very important to continue. My back has flared up again... im sure itll get better. But by the end of the week i had a great experience the left side of my face and forehead has not one active pimple just high red pigmentation which looks like pimples but they arent!!!! Wohoo but the right side is still crazy so fingers crossed for Week 5.
by ActualSelf on 09/13/2015 22:48
Week 5: Skin: Not as dry and not as red but still dry and red. Acne: My back is getting a little better. My face has slightly flared again on my forehead, upper lip and on lower cheeks and jawlines. I was so excited last week thinking yay its finally going but now that it flared again it made me feel really upset. But with all the reviews i read they have similar experiences and they only really see big improvements by 8 weeks to 12 weeks. So i have to be patient!!! Im going dermatologist by the end of Week 6 and ill update you on what happens.
by gabbygette on 09/14/2015 03:39
Do not worry! It took my face 8 weeks to clear up, and it stayed super clear after, good luck!
by ActualSelf on 09/20/2015 01:36
Thankyou for the response!!! I hope so, patience is seriously so important with this treatment. So anyone reading this just stay patient... its a pain but nothing comes quick and anything that claims it does is a lie all they do is damage your skin or worsen it. So always go to a dermatologist.
by ActualSelf on 09/20/2015 23:02
Week 6: Skin: Not dry anymore, still red and a little itchy. Acne: My back is really soft again and it isnt flared anymore but i have alot of pigmentation. My skin is okay not that great a few pimples on my forehead and lower chin and a few under the skin cysts under my right cheek on the neck. Its very similar to week 5 not much differences. But with epiduo i feel like the pimples improve within three days even less. I went dermatologist end of week 6. He saw my face and said that it has improved and he said itll take upto 12 weeks and to be patient. So i am. He told me to put epiduo now every night rather than every second night like previously. He also told me to go on Yaz birth control pill once i start my periods and stay on the Doryx tablets also. Ill be seeing him in 5 weeks.
by ActualSelf on 09/25/2015 12:05
Week 7: Skin: not as dry, red pigmentation, no more itchy feels. Acne: Back has flared again ALOT but i guess part of the cycle? Face: my forehead has no active pimples , my left side cheek and jaw only has one active pimple, my right side cheek has one active pimple and under my right jaw i have like 3 under the skin cysts. So it has improved alot. The rest of my skin looks like it has alot of pimples but its all red pigmentation and its very very smooth to touch. Well see how next week goes. Patience!!!!
by ActualSelf on 10/10/2015 02:38
Sorry delayed. Week 8. Skin: No more dry skin, no more redness just LOTS of red pigmentation and not one bit itchy. Acne: As everyone has said by week 8 thats when you see results and thats exactly what happened to me Week 8 and not one active pimple not one not even a cyst or under the skin bumps ZERO but lots of pigmentation but if i run my hand across my face its perfectly smooth. Week9. Skin: No dryness No redness and No itchyness. Acne: For some odd reason i got 2 cysts on my lower right jaw and i got 4 active pimples on the middle of my cheeks and ive never had pimples on my cheeks before :( i was over the moon last week that i actually improved incredibly but this week i dont know what happened. I read other reviews and alot of people said by week 8 you see improvements but by week 12 it actually completely improves so now patience for another 3 weeks!!!!
by ActualSelf on 10/18/2015 14:58
Week 10: same as week 9
by ActualSelf on 10/22/2015 12:46
Week 11: same as week 10
by ActualSelf on 11/04/2015 08:49
Week 12. Skin: lots of red pigmentation. I asked the dermatologist how i can get rid of this red scar pigmented blotches. He said that its actually from the Doryx oral antibiotics which causes redness and as soon as i stop the pills i will have no redness. So bonus! The dermatologist also now does glycolic peels every 4 week visits. Ive had one and he said its for blackheads and for any brown pigmentation from previous pimples. He also gave me a 10percent glycolic acid lotion for my back to reduce brown pigmentation. Acne: I dont have much active pimples just 2 or 3. The rest of my skin is sooooo smooth especially beneath my left jaw which used to be extra bump with large cysts. My skin isnt perfect but its improved by 70 percent. Just a reminder to what im on. Morning: 2 × 50mg Doryx antibacterial tablets Yaz Birth control pill Both Morning and Nights i wash with Cetaphil Cleanser Night: Epiduo cream on my face
by ActualSelf on 11/08/2015 06:09
Week 13. Same as week 12 . . . Still getting pimpled here and there. Lots of pigmentation
by ActualSelf on 11/08/2015 06:09
by ActualSelf on 11/13/2015 11:15
Week 14: Skin is very hyperpigmented. Few active pimples. Has improved incredibly. The pigmentation is putting me off. Not sure how long that will take.
My little pot of Miracle Cream!
Reviewed on October 30, 2015

After struggling with Acne for years during my high school years, I was determined to get it under control by any means necessary before I started university. But I tried every over the counter remedy I could find... And University, Semester 1 came and went. Suddenly, one doctor told me about Epiduo (no other doctor had ever described it to me before) and ever since then (2 years ago now) I have no acne what so ever. I occasionally get a spot, but maybe once a month or less. And it had results very quickly! Within a week there was a very noticeable change.

IMPORTANT: in the beginning of the treatment I applied way way to much; and this actually caused more Acne from irritation alone. I used it twice a day and a large amount, and it made things worse. As soon as I started to use it once a day at night, and only a very small "pea-sized" amount I had drastic results.

I think this product is great as the "treatment" phase of the Acne.org Regimen. It has none of the comedogenic ingredients from the list available here online, and its very neutral in small quantities.

To wash my face I use: Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser (buy it at Coles, Chemist Warehouse, Woolies, etc.)

To treat my face: Epiduo (only at night! and a small amount)

To moisturise my face: Acne.org Moisturiser

This regime with Epiduo is based on the Acne.org Regime.

So now, with a new face free of acne, I recommend it to all to give it a try as a relatively cheap cream.

Quick to see results.

Works on mild acne.

Cheap (only $5.95 if you have a HealthCare Card in Australia; however it is ~$36 on the PBS with Medicare and thats for anyone.)

Each tube/pump lasts about a month.

very easy to use too much and make things worse.

can be expensive for people without a HealthCare Card.

You have to get a doctors prescription for it (Max repeat on each prescription is x3).

makes you more prone to sunburn, reddening of the face.

not all pharmacies or chemists stock the cream.

Works great, but don't expect perfection
Reviewed on September 10, 2015

I am happy with the results so far. Keep on using it for 12 weeks!

Reviewed on September 14, 2015

I love this product. I never had sever acne, I just always had a few marks on my chin and all a lot on my forehead and i was fine with that until I went to college. I started using it my freshman year of college, it took about a month and a half for my face to clear up, and everyone noticed! I used it until the middle of summer when i just forgot about it. My face stayed clear all summer, then as soon as my school started, so did the acne. So I started it agin and it cleared up my face again. If I can use this forever, I will! It does dry your skin out, so drink plenty of water and every morning wash your face with a not topical face wash (I use Cetephil) and apply lotion, (cetephil). And yes you face will look worse before it looks better, but give it at least 2 months and you will be so happy!

it works
Reviewed on September 6, 2015

I've been struggling with acne for years now. My skin cleared up for about 3 years but then I started breaking out again. Went to the doctor and she prescribed me this. In the first 2 weeks, my skin was really dry and adjusting to the product. As other reviews have said, in weeks 3 to 5 your skin can start breaking out pretty bad. Mine definitely did. It got really really bad (worse than before I started using it). But I read a lot of reviews and just stuck with it. I totally recommend that you do stick with it because pretty suddenly, in weeks 6 to 7 my skin cleared up. I've kept using it for over 12 weeks now and my skin is completely different - clear and any spots that do come up, disappear very quickly. Really happy with it!! I used it with cetaphil cleanser and an aloe vera moisturiser. I didn't have any problems being in the sun either, my skin didn't burn at all. I do use sunscreen though.

I know it is really hard to stick with it when your skin is going crazy, but I did and I am grateful. Sometimes you just have to believe in the product and it works out. Read a lot of reviews too, that can help support you. I'll definitely continue using this

number 1 product
Reviewed on September 1, 2015

Epiduo is nothing short of a miracle product for me. I had acne for 6 years, until finally I was referred to a dermatologist. I'd tried endless rounds of antibiotics, all of which either worked temporarily or made me too unwell to continue - or both - and had used Duac with, again, some temporary success. By this point I thought my skin would never be clear and I would have to live like this forever. Then my dermatologist started me on Dianette, a BCP, and Epiduo. The dianette made my skin a lot less oily and the epiduo cleared it up. It wasn't easy though. Even months in the epiduo stung so much to apply I'd almost be in tears. My skin has never been sensitive but it hurt even to moisturise it. Makeup was out of the question because it would get caught in these disgusting dry flakes, which was annoying because it made my skin quite red. This went on for months. I remember being very upset going out to parties at how horrible and red my face would look in photos, yet unable to wear makeup. My dermatologist actually prescribed me epiduo in the evening and Duac in the morning! I cringe to think of such a drying regime. I know Dan recommends being as gentle as possible, but what helped with the flakiness was using a gentle cleanser and my Clarisonic, followed by a moisturiser, to sort of buff off the flakes. Eventually, epiduo stopped irritating me so much and I settled in to a good regime and my skin was perfect! I came off Dianette because it made me very moody but my skin is still clear thanks to epiduo. It's a tiny bit more congested than it was when I was on the pill but I'm not going to complain because it's practically perfect. I never dreamt of having skin I was happy with and now I do.

Reviewed on August 8, 2015

I will be updating this timeline as my treatment progresses! Final review will be at the end of my treatment (: [Taking this with minocycline]

Week 1- It burned and stung like crazy as soon as I applied it and stayed like that throughout the entire night. It turned my skin from extremely oily to dry, flaky, and red.

Week 2- It doesn't sting as bad when I apply it now. My skin looks like its clearing up a little bit!

Week 3- It now is completely sting-free when applied. My face is breaking out again though :-(

Week 4- I'm still breaking out very badly. Mostly black heads surrounding my lips although there ARE pustules (pimples) too :-/

Week 5- No significant difference from week 4

Week 6- My forearms have significantly improved, but the rest of my body is still a mess. My chin is breaking out sooo bad. I'm tired of waiting for this to work. I just want to start on some other prescription already.

Week 7- Just ran out of my first bottle. will update soon.

by gabbygette on 09/14/2015 03:41
You might have been using too much, It took me at least 6 months to go through my first bottle.
Teenage Acne
Reviewed on August 20, 2015

Hello, I'm 16 and have had acne since the beginning of high school, which is about 2 years for me. I'm going into grade 11 now and have had consistent and worsening acne while trying a number of different products. To debrief, I began using Epiduo in March and was very disappointed by the results I received after around 3 weeks to a month. I experienced an initial clearing of skin in the first week and then began to break out dramatically for weeks that followed. I put the product down after about a month and tried other methods. None of the products that I purchased seemed to better my skin, so after around 4 months I returned to my dermatologist in July with frustration and intentions to begin Accutane because the acne on my chin, though not severe, had not cleared for months and I had become extremely depressed with my failure to clear up. Reluctantly, I chose to take doxycycline and Epiduo from my dermatologist for a three month period. I'm on week five of this treatment and am not impressed with my results. I feel as though I may be in the same place as I was when I was prescribed and am growing impatient. I have had dryness, redness, and initial break outs but by week 5, my skin is continuing to have small break outs and hyper pigmentation. I'm wondering when I'll see dramatic results.

by soutera on 08/21/2015 02:57
comment with your help please?
by soutera on 10/11/2015 17:44
I'm on the eleventh week of this treatment and I've been moderately to completely clear for the past week. It's taken a very long time to have consistency in terms of getting no new pimples but I think that I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!!!
Works well
Reviewed on August 16, 2015

This worked very well for my son except our insurance won't pay for it and it costs over $500 a tube which is insane since I saw straight Benzoyl Peroxide in Target for $3.50.

by GameTangerine on 09/26/2015 00:14
My insurance company just denied the $500 prescription for my daughter. Her doctor wrote her a prescription for JUST Adapalene, which the insurance covers (only $8 for us). He told us to go to the store and find some Benzoyl Peroxide gel and mix equal parts and use that instead. Maybe that will work for you???
by GameTangerine on 09/26/2015 00:14