Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel reviews

3.7/5 - 382 reviews

Adapalene (0.1%), Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%).

Acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, docusate sodium, edetate disodium, glycerin, isohexadecane, poloxamer 124, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sorbitan oleate.

Works well but still get minor breakouts
Reviewed on July 29, 2014

It takes a couple months to work, but did a good job of preventing my pustular breakouts (not the big hormonal ones in my experience). I didn't really have issues with flaking and dryness, as I switched to a gentle, non-medicated cleanser while using it, and have extremely oily skin. I used it nightly in a THIN layer over my whole face and washed it off in the morning. Even though my complexion drastically improved, I still woke up to a few small, but manageable, pustules virtually everyday. My pores were also still extremely clogged. I believe it also helped fade my dark marks at the same time. Lately, however, it hasn't been working as great as it used to, even though I haven't changed my cleansing routine. It might have something to do with other lifestyle changes such as water composition, sleep patterns, and diet. For these reasons, I believe that if your acne is caused by a more serious, internal issue, epiduo might not work as well as expected. For me, it was only a short term confidence booster. Additionally, I am slightly suspicious that it exacerbated my dry eye issues.

Just started using it
Reviewed on July 18, 2014

I have acne all over my face. Mostly on my right cheek which is covered and I also have tiny bumps all over my forehead. I also have a lot of whiteheads. I got prescribed epiduo and I'm on my fourth day of using it and tbh I think my acne has gotten worse but I think that's because I have a lot of whiteheads which I'm always popping. After reading all these reviews I'm focused on carrying on for at least 3 months so my acne can finally go away. When I apply it, it doesn't really sting that much. Only mildly. And my skin gets really dry and flakey too so I'm wondering which moisturiser to use? I was thinking on getting aveeno moisturising cream?? I will be back with an update on how things are but so far it's not too bad I guess.

Good Stuff
Reviewed on July 11, 2014

Acne has been a problem for me. It was so thick on my cheeks I looked like a pepperoni pizza. It was gross! So, I saw my doctor and she prescribed Epiduo. I used it for a long time and it got rid of my break outs. But the thing was, I would always get them again. It would go away then in about 2 days a new one would come up. Last week, I found out the quickest and safest way to clear your face. Wash your face, put aveeno all over, apply epiduo on the face, then add tea tree oil on top of your face. The epiduo will dry out the acne and the tea tree oil helps kill it. The lotion just keeps your face moist. Sometimes you can breakout because of the weather. Ive been doing this whole process and my face has been clear. Im not kidding like this stuff is legit. If you follow this same process I'm like 98% sure it will work on you.

Excellent!!!
Reviewed on July 10, 2014

This treatment is the one that provides best results for me. It is the only BP treatment which does not dry my skin severely or darken my complexion (I am an Asian Pakistani). You should apply it as directed for optimum results. I apply a pea-sized amount once every evening after using neutrogena pink grapefruit face wash. You may have initial breakouts but you need to give this treatment time to work. This has been the most effective product I have used in treating and preventing my acne, blackheads and reduced hyperpigmentation. If you have tried many products and they have not worked, please go to your doctor and ask for this product.

NOpe Noope Nope
Reviewed on July 7, 2014

I really disliked epiduo. Had moderate facial acne and a good deal of cystic bacne in my first year of college, and when I finally went to the derm, she prescribed me this along with an oral antibiotic. Epiduo felt greasy and disgusting on my skin, and it absolutely did nothing. Actually made everything worse, since I stopped doing my proactive regimen when I started it. I was on it for five weeks with NO improvement. Finally now I'm on aczone and doing great. IF OTC BENZOYL PEROXIDE DOES NOTHING FOR YOU, PROBS IS A BAD IDEA. Benzoyl peroxide does nothing but dry me out in any form. hate hate hate. However, if otc benzoyl peroxide does SOMETHING for you, this may possibly help. Feels totally gross though.

Love it!!!
Reviewed on July 1, 2014

I have suffered with mild acne since I was a young teen. I have tried all sorts of topical treatments and nothing seemed to work for me. Finally, I tried a sample of epidou and I really liked it! I have been using it for probably 3 years now and follow my schedule with it religiously. My skin has completely cleared up besides the pimple or two I get around my period. This was a drastic change to when I used to completely break out during that time. I will say it can be a little drying sometimes so I use a moisturizer as well. This is the only thing that has ever worked for me and I highly recommend giving it a try, and give it time. Your breakouts won't go away after a day! A few months my skin was clear and STAYED CLEAR!

Absolutely recommend!
Reviewed on June 28, 2014

This worked wonders for me! I once had moderate acne, which was greatly helped by a 5% Benzoyl Peroxide cream and a change in my skincare. However, soon it didn't work so well anymore and I was left with mild yet persistent and extremely stubborn acne and red marks from old acne. I tried many home remedies, shop-bought creams, washes, masks, I tried changing my diet but that didn't work for me - and then my Doctor prescribed me Epiduo.

The first time I used it, I made the huge mistake of treating it like my old BP cream which my skin could handle quite well. My skin burned so bad I nearly cried! I gave it a miss for a night and tried it again - this time I used literally a pea sized amount for my entire face. It still burned a lot but a little more bearable. I used it every other night whilst my skin built up a tolerance, and then used a moisturiser in the morning. I actually saw results pretty quick...within a couple of weeks I was getting compliments from friends and colleagues on how well I looked. Now I've been using it for 3 months and I only get the odd spot here and there (usually during that time of the month), which are quickly dealt with with Epiduo. It has helped fade red marks a little too which is a bonus. I do still have a few little bumps that it doesn't seem to be helping, but I'm the only person who can notice them.

The only drawback I can think of is that after 3 months my skin seems to be getting oily, whilst I usually have normal/dry skin - the only change I can think of is the Epiduo. That said, I have changed my contraceptive pill, though haven't done any research into whether this can cause oily skin.

Overall, I would recommend giving this a go. I was reluctant to at first, thinking - if BP didn't fix my skin why would this be any different? - but I'm so glad I tried it. I can now sit in board room meetings without feeling like the token acne-ridden teenager! It's important to understand that everyone's skin is different though, so what works for one person may not work for another.

50%
Reviewed on June 21, 2014

I'm 17, female, have mild to cystic acne, depending on the season. My experience with Epiduo was good, I'd say. I began using it last summer. At first, I was horrified at my skin. I could not believe that a doctor would prescribe it to someone. What I was also doing was slathering it on, twice a day. More than usual. So of course, because I wasn't using it as prescribed, my skin was dry, irritated, itchy, and I was breaking out more. I kept at it for about two weeks and then put the product away in my medicine cabinet. A few months later, at the end of August, I was fed up with spending money on neutrogena and clearisil products that don't work. I decided to be patient, and give it a try again. I also read the package insert this time. It stated that acne may worsen during the first stages of treatment because it is treating all the acne you can't see. Which actually makes sense. A drug can't stop a blemish in the middle of it's cycle. The pimple has to become a pimple and get rid of the clogged pore, or it will just remain a bump under the skin, which makes the texture of the skin awful. So I stuck it out again for a few weeks. I would use it at night as directed, and not use too much. Using more product doesn't increase absorption. The only was to increase absorption is rubbing in, increasing the surface area that you apply the product, and applying to clean skin. I used it on my back and chest as well. I used a st. Ives lotion on my back and chest after I took a shower the next day to replenish the moisture I lost from using Epiduo. As far as face lotions go, I recommend clean and clear dual action. It has a very small amount of salicylic acid, not enough to overdry your skin. I also recommend yes to grapefruit moisturizer. It works great but it's a little expensive. My back cleared up with no scarring, the same for my chest. It was amazing. The texture of my skin improved immensely. My face cleared too, except I would occasionally get acne on my nose, which I attribute to my large pores in that area. What you have to realize is that acne is ongoing and you're always going to have acne prone skin. The best thing you can do is find a treatment that takes care of the main symptoms of acne: bacteria, oil, and clogged pores. If you don't treat the other symptoms your skin is experiencing, then the treatment won't work. Moisturize! It doesn't matter if your face feels greasy or gross. Do not skip a day of moisturizing or it will upset your skin's balance. Cleanse and exfoliate! Try using pink grapefruit daily scrub or a st. Ives scrub. Even use a gentle cleanser like cetaphil. Although you're not supposed to use salicyclic acid with Epiduo, my skin was clear using neutrogena's pink grapefruit scrub, clean and clear moisturizer, and Epiduo. The other thing that helped was patience. I wasn't looking in the mirror every day looking for results. I wasn't popping my acne, I was just letting it run its course and eventually it stopped showing up. Also, when using makeup, MAKE SURE IT IS NON COMEDOGENIC. I suggest physicians formula mineral wear, the most minimal coverage you're comfortable with, and apply it with a foam beauty round. They come in like 12 packs and are cheap to replace when the old one is nasty. Which is a good idea to minimize bacteria. Use your moisturizer 20 minutes before applying the powder. Use liquid foundation instead of concealer if you need more coverage. Also non comedogenic. Do all of what I just said, make it a routine, and don't watch for results. It will take a while but I promise this product works. The only reason I stopped using it was that my insurance changed and instead of 26$ a month, it was $240. No way I was paying that! Hope this helped.

Great for Mild acne, but if you are a cystic sufferer than STAY AWAY
Reviewed on June 13, 2014

I started Epiduo + Doxycycline in October 17th 2012, nearly 8 months ago. The first three months were hell, red peeling skin and horrible initial breakout, I had to constantly moisturize and missed out of a couple of social functions because of it. After that my skin started to calm, and somewhat started clearing. This phase lasted about 2 and a half months, in which my acne was getting better but was leaving behind unsightly red marks. The red marks concerned me so I took a trip to the derm, who said they should fade in a matter of months. 2 weeks later I was back at the derms, because my face, chest, and back had EXPLODED in cystic acne and small red hard pimples, the Epiduo stopped working entirely and I am currently making the switch to accutane. If you suffer from cystic acne do not even bother with this, it does NOTHING to stop it. This is for people like young teens with mild acne or minor scarring they wish to heal.

Drying
Reviewed on June 9, 2014

My dermatologist prescribed this to me as a spot treatment. While the spot goes away faster than if I had not used it, it dries my skin like crazy if I use it two days in a row, even using moisturizer. I have been using this product for months and still can't use it two days in a row without my skin getting dry and flaky. I don't feel like using epiduo has decreased the amounts of spots that I get, but that might be because I have to use it every other day.

by Liz1129 on 07/01/2014 23:28
What moisturizer do you use?