Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

Average price: $34.15

Most helpful review

By LaughClass on 12/12/2012
thumbnail

I NEVER write reviews on products because most of the time it isn't worth my time, but this time I wanted to share, that this stuff really does work! I am 35 and started breaking out on my cheeks and chin a few years ago. I had a LOT of blackheads in my nose and chin (EVERY single pore), and lots of new blackheads and bumps every single day on my cheeks that I'd try and squeeze out and then create scars doing so. I'd also get a couple of those huge cystic zits every month that hurt and took weeks to go away. Well, I've been using Epiduo along with Doxycycline for a month and I haven't gotten more than a couple little new bumps on my cheeks (that went away quickly) and I just started to form a small cyst on my chin a couple days ago (it's period time) and it's already going away and hardly noticeable. My blackheads are slowly clearing out on my nose and chin and the blackheads on my cheeks are WAY better. The scars on my cheeks are also fading. You're supposed to give this 3 months to fully work, but I'm happy to say it's ALREADY working really well. I didn't experience the initial breakout like some people have reported. It does burn, sting, and itch quit a bit, but after the first week that became less for me. It's definitely tolerable.The most annoying thing for me is the flaking around my nose, laugh lines and chin area. I use the Oil of Olay Cleansing System (the face scrubber with the spinning brush) and Cetaphil, and as long as I do that twice a day, it helps remove the flakes. I also use Neutrogena Clear Face spf 30 moisturizer. The moisturizer seems to burn worse than the Epiduo, but it doesn't make me break out like some moisturizers with spf 30 have done. Anyway, all in all, I love this product and I am SO happy to have found it after years of trying EVERYTHING!! As long as you can get past the first week or two, you'll love it. Give it a chance!.

Pros:
  • Clear skin
  • Fading scars
  • Smooth skin
  • More confidence
Cons:
  • Some burning and itching
  • Flaking skin and some redness

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful

Adapalene (0.1%), Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%).

Acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, docusate sodium, edetate disodium, glycerin, isohexadecane, poloxamer 124, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sorbitan oleate.

Member reviews

“Amazing!”
By on

I have been using Epiduo along with Doxycycline for the past 3.5 months now and this product is amazing! At first it took quite some time until I noticed a difference, however 3 months on and this product is by far the most effective treatment that I have tried. Not only has it cleared up my acne, it has also cleared majority of my acne scars! It does take a lot of patience, but stick to it and your skin will be cleared up in no time!

I also didn't find that it caused much irritation to my skin. There were a few days of itching and peeling skin in the second week, however nothing that really bothered me.

• $ 36

“I love it!”
By on

I have been using Epiduo for 5 months now, and I love this product. I use it once a day (as prescribed), only at night, and it works really well for me. It really draws out your acne and heals blemishes faster. When I first started using this, I ignored the "once a day" rule my doctor told me about, and thought nothing bad would happen if I used it more than once a day, so I applied it several times throughout the day to blemishes as a spot treatment. Believe me, you do NOT want to make the same mistake I did. Even twice a day is too much of this stuff. My skin turned red, itchy, extremely dry and flakey, and would stay that way for a few days, so I had to keep applying generous amounts of moisturiser multiple times a day. That's the only negative thing I have to say about it. However, apart from that, if used correctly, Epiduo is a wonderful product.

Pros

• Works!
  • Smooths Skin
  • Controls blemishes

Cons

• Expensive
  • Irritates and dries out skin if used too much
  • for a few months
  • $ 35
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Cured at last!!!”
By on

Epiduo has given me smooth skin without the angry, painful, red and reactive outbreaks I have had for years. Cursed with hormonal / inflammatory acne this has had a huge effect in just a few weeks. Tingling / itching at first but then fine. TIP!! Use only a pea sized amount for your whole face! Using more will NOT speed it up, it will just irritate your skin! I have thankfully been given this on prescription but would happily pay for it. Fantastic treatment!

Pros

• It works!
  • Smooths angry bumps
  • Stops further breakouts

Cons

• Irritates a little at first, stick with it!
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Useless”
By on

I used this stuff for two months and it has only made my acne worse. I am not going to keep putting it on for 2-4 more months just to see if it will get better. I stopped taking it for a few days because my skin got too dry. The morning after I started putting it back on again I had new breakouts all over my face. I am done with this stuff for good.

Pros

• None

Cons

• Burns
  • Makes acne worse
  • Expensive
  • for a few months
  • $ 25
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Bottom Line: Works but you have to wait”
By on

I was diagnosed in October with hormonal cystic acne at the age of 38. The dermatologist prescribed Epiduo with Doryx. I started with just the Epiduo because I had work travel and wasn't sure how I was going to react to the Epiduo. I felt like I saw some improvement in the first two weeks but my skin was super dry. But... then the real breakouts happened. I had disgusting cysts on my upper cheeks. I was lucky that they were far enough back on my face that I could cover them with my hair. I was so frustrated and felt like crying. But, at about the six weeks mark, things really started to approve. I had several days in a row with cysts only getting better. I used Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel, CeraVe night lotion, and Dermalogica AgeSmart overnight serum. I believe that this serum was the key in keeping my skin from getting overly dry. I am now in my fifth month and my skin is 500% better. I still have scarring because I couldn't help but pick some of the cysts. My aesthetician has said that my skin is now in great shape. Bottom line: You need to give it at least 6 week to start seeing things looking better.

Pros

• It works.

Cons

• You have to be patient. Takes several months.
  • Drying.
  • for a few months
  • $ 100
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Epiduo & aczone”
By on

I've never had any skin issues previous to the last year and I'm 35! I tried many OTC products which didn't help at all and a few prescription topicals but with no luck. I finally saw a derm and was prescribed aczone (twice a day) and epiduo in the evening.

I broke out like crazy in the first few weeks, all over my face...in places where I'd never had any acne before.

It's been 9 weeks and I am FINALLY seeing improvement. It's been a week since I've have any painful cysts. The aczone seems to be very drying. Still struggling to find the right moisturizer. Cerave makes me kind of oily, which is weird because my skin is typically on the dry side! Any suggestions?

I feel like epiduo is what has helped the most. I have some red marks, maybe pih? Like I said it's been 9 weeks. I feel like it's so worth a try and sticking it out is so difficult but I feel worth it. It burned like crazy for the first week or so. But that has subsided although some days I wake up super dry.

I think it's worth a shot. The patience part is so hard but in my case was worth it. Now I just have to wait out the red marks fading! If anyone has any suggestions for a great moisturizer I'd love to hear it. Going to my derm later this week and see what his advice is on the red marks and dryness.

Pros

• Works, eventually
  • Covered :)

Cons

• Burning
  • Serious dryness
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Slow and Steady - Can definitely see improvements!”
By on

I have been using tactuo/epiduo (Canadian version) for almost 3 weeks and I can see some noticeable improvements but also experiencing the initial outbreak in some areas!

After years of battling acne with OTC systems I finally got a referral to a dermatologist. I have always had breakouts, zits popping up and generally very congested skin. Constantly blocked pores and these would lead to breakouts. I feel like I have tried every skin regime but nothing worked for me!! My derm gave me tactuo and said to use it for 2 months then come back to see him.

The first couple days I used it I didn't feel anything... I started to wonder if it was even working!... boy was I surprised!! The third day I put it on and my skin started burning.. It was so HOT! My face honestly felt like it was on fire! Thousands of hot needles pricking my skin. I thought I was having a horrible reaction.

From this point forward my skin started peeling really badly all around my mouth and cheeks. The peeling is still happening but I reduced the frequency of usage (to every other day) and this helped.

I have been using it for 3 weeks now and my skin is drier than usual. I have noticed my nose has zero blackheads! (which were previously really noticeable) I have had some bad breakouts on my cheeks right now and along my jaw line but I have left them alone (no picking/popping/touching or even LOOKING!) I can see tactuo make a difference in the reduction and speed of heeling.

I usually get bad cystic lumps that last weeks under the skin but with tactuo they clear up in a few days.

My derm said this is a great product but you have to be patient and give it time.

I would strongly recommend using Cetaphil Derm Control moisturizer (spf 30) and the foaming wash to pair with this product. Don't stress your skin with anything else that is drying 'acne clearing' while using this product because its already very strong!

I also have not been able to wear make up during the use of this product because it looks TERRIBLE!! My experience has been that since my skin is even a little dry my make up just flakes and doesn't really sink in.. I bet once my skin starts clearing and balances out I will be able to start.. but hopefully by then I won't need it!!

Only 3 weeks in and hopefully keeps improving slow and steady!

Good luck! Hope this review helps :)

Pros

• clears blackheads
  • speeds healing
  • reduces cysts fast!

Cons

• drying
  • causes flaking and peeling
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“I tried everything- epiduo is the only thing that's finally worked for me”
By on

I had been struggling with acne and acne scars for almost a year. I was trying everything to fix it- home remedies, sandalwood and multani miti masks, apple cider vinegar, mia 2 clarisonic face scrub, derma e microdermabrasion scrub- I spent over hundreds of dollars on oils, creams and soaps that I hoped would help stop the breakouts and fade the scars.

When I finally went to see a doctor about it she prescribed me epiduo. At first I was reluctant, and then I read reviews of people whose breakouts worsened for the first month and then I definitely didn't want to use this product! But I thought I have nothing to lose, my skin has never been this bad before, so I gave it a go. My breakouts stopped and acne scars faded after the first use!!!! Be very careful to apply a very tiny bit to the areas of problem- dont be generous and slather it all over because this product can irritate your skin. I use this product in the morning and night time after I wash my face with the mia 2 - some parts if my skin get dry and flakey, so the mia 2 helps to get rid of the dead skin.

I am very happy I started using the epiduo gel- the results are miraculous, truly!

Pros

• stopped breakouts
  • acne scars fading
  • You only need to use a tiny bit, so this product will last a very long while

Cons

• Leaves some patches of dry, flakey skin
  • for about a week
  • $ 25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Cleared up over nite”
By on

I have never had acne prone skin as an adolescent or adult. However, back in dec 2013 I began taking 5000 Mcg of biotin and experienced a rediculous break out only on my forehead. I went to dermatologist after trying to manage the acne for a month and he prescribed epiduo. I have sensitive skin so I was skeptical. I began w the following routine a soothing skin sensitive facial bar soap w soothing/ calming agents, step 2: neutrogena naturals detoxifying scrub scrub skin takes off black heads white heads and dead skin cells rinse after a good scrub. Step 3 repeat the bar soap which is so mild and refreshing it makes your face feel great I do it after scrub. I then apply neutrogena toner which is amazing it's the alpha hydroxy toner and to disbelief it will remove residual dirt make etc. I thin apply the epiduo in dot formation obver the acne and wash w face in am and apply neutrogena naturals moisturizer. My face looks amazing and the blemishes on my for head r fading too. I think the key is to start off applying just a little because the face is a nerve so once something is irritTed by a topical agent it affects other skin on face as well. I suggest very thin layer/ dots . I've had no neg side effects and my skin is very sensitive I also recommend having a facial wash routine w the same products each nite.

Pros

• Smooth skin
  • Faded blemishes
  • Noticeable change the next morning

Cons

• Headache rt after application of small dots to forehead
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Stick with it!”
By on

I am now at around the 3 month mark using epiduo, and I think my experience with this product has been similar to others reading the reviews.

I have had acne since I was about 12 (now 25) and have tried EVERY over the counter product going. I recently began to break out severely on my cheeks which had never happened before and I finally decided to go to my GP who prescribed me this product.

Similar to what others have said, the gel does sting on application but it's definitely bearable. After a few days my skin started to become very dry and flakey which was pretty grim, but I found that using the Olay exfoliating brush on an evening and a good moisturiser helped a lot. The dryness eased after a few weeks but I then began to break out awfully and was at the point of giving up with the whole thing, but after reading a few reviews I decided to persevere and I'm so glad I did! The breakout eventually cleared up and then my skin cleared almost totally, I still get the occasional spot but they are nowhere near as bad as the big painful cystic acne that I used to get, and any that do appear clear up much quicker.

I would advise anyone trying this product to persevere for longer that the 4-6 weeks advised as any improvement may take much longer as it did with me. Good luck!

Pros

• Good improvement in acne
  • Gel is light and only need to use a small amount

Cons

• Dry flakey skin
  • An initial bad breakout
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.