Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel reviews

3.7/5 - 434 reviews

Brand: Epiduo

Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

Adapalene (0.1%), Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%).

Acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, docusate sodium, edetate disodium, glycerin, isohexadecane, poloxamer 124, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sorbitan oleate.

Epiduo for Life!
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

Let me start by saying I have hormonal acne mainly on my lower cheeks. It started as soon as I turned 30 and I have been dealing with it for 4 years now. For the past year I'd get bumps primarily on my left cheek but now my right is being plagued too (**waaahhh**). I have been using epiduo for a year now and it truthfully hasn't done much to improve my acne completely, but it definitely helps even out my complexion on the rest of my face and smooth my skin which I will gratefully take. When I stop using epiduo for a period of time my breakouts will worsen so it absolutely helps calm it down some. Your face will get a little red and irritated (sometimes a bit itchy) at night when you put it on, but if you are consistent and fight through it you will eventually see some improvement. I am using epiduo in conjunction with finacea and differin. I will alternate between epiduo and differin every night (sometimes spot treat with both) and then use finacea every other morning. I am hoping this cocktail of topicals will eventually make my acne go away for good (*fingers crossed*).

It works great.
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

My acne problems have always been a recurring one and last year, meaning around Sept 2014 it got worse. I always had acne problems, but they'd clear up within a week with regular acne treatments I bought off from regular pharmacy stores. But around Sept 2014 it just got worse (I still have no clue why....), acne was breaking out all over my face, my forehead, both side of my cheeks, my chin and my neck area. It was a disaster and it honestly affected my self esteem....I felt really horrible and ugly. To make things worse, I was on internship - meaning I had to work, and I work at the zoo where I am constantly being out in the sun, which further worsened my situation.

After much hesitation I finally decided to visit a dermatologist, which has been in the field of study for many years. After consultation, she recommended me to use the following products:

Eau thermale Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser

Epiduo Gel (advised to use for night before bed)

Clindoxyl once daily gel (advised to use for daytime use)

Oral treatment (doxycycline)

**I have oily, acne prone and sensitive skin, please note!

This was a 6 month course....meaning i had to go back to the dermatologist for a follow up every 1 and a half month. I was also told to stop using other products and focus specifically on what she recommended.

I can start off by saying that within the first few weeks of going through the course, it was very tough. I was still breaking out, in fact, more than before! Red, swelling acne spots all over my entire face and neck, and I could not wear any form of makeup (it won't be able to conceal it anyway). However, I want to also empathise that this is also what my doctor told me to expect. For the first few weeks, putting on the medication would sort of "force" all of the toxins sunk deep into your face out, causing more acne to rise. I also had the bad habit to pick on my acne and strongly advised me against it, because it will leave deep scarring etc. That was also another issue that I had to deal it internally, because the doctor would not be around me 24/7. The first 3 months, I also had to take on oral medication, twice a day.

After most the swelling and the acne started to subside, which was approx after 3-1/2 months, I started to see results.....little by little. I was advised to apply the Epiduo on my face, a thin layer of it, every night before bed - so please note: you have to be very religious on it and apply it before you see results! There was few new breakouts (except when it's the time of the month), and the previous scars that I used to pick on started to heal!! The markings reduced slightly, bit by bit, day by day. Of course, one tube isn't enough, I had to pick up new ones each time I return to do a follow up, but it works. Towards the end of the treatment, my dermatologist was really proud of me - I would say 95% of my scarrings were GONE, little breakouts, and it feels like I had a whole new face (not exaggerating). I was also able to put on makeup as well by the end of it.

The most difficult part of it was that:

This takes time. The Epiduo is NOT a product that can cure your acne overnight. When i started the treatment I put the product every night, it reduces the swelling when new acne arises (because of oral medication) and when the acne subsides, it STARTS to slowly heal your scarring. I know how it feels when you have new acne, because I was struck by it on my entire face and I was HELPLESS, I was so embarrassed and I work front line, I get huge stares and I have never felt so unconfident in my life. But it takes time for it to heal, I think it's the most difficult part to conquer it.

Cliche but really works. Drink lots of water, stay hydrated and try to eat healthy. For me I drank a close to 2 litres of water a day and try to eat more fruits and vegetables. Try to stay stress free, learn how to manage stress, have more positive thoughts because your feelings affect your hormones which can affect the way your body works and cause acne. Not a result I searched on google --- advised by my doctor and does work :) Stay positive even if you feel really negative about your looks!

Would I recommend? Yes, because it works - and I already stopped other brands of acne medication because the Epiduo is worth the money for it and I do SEE the results. However, whatever that works for me might NOT work for you. I'm only sharing my experience but please take this as an opinion and at your own risk. Whatever I've shared here is being advised by my dermatologist and sometimes it might not work, because we all have different skin types and DIFFERENT acne problems.

I'm sharing this because you might be considering this but on the fence because of the price. It took me MONTHS to decide on visiting the dermatologist - because it's expensive - but it's worth it. I spent 3 digits on it but I see the results, and I'm proud of how far I've achieved. Visiting a dermatologist can change your life forever! Discuss with your parents before making that decision!

Hopefully this helps! Stay positive!

Cystic Acne, oh my.
Reviewed on July 21, 2015

Never have I ever experience cystic acne until I used this product. I tried to stick it out because everyone says "it gets worse before it gets better" - but lifetime scars that were out of the ordinary for my skin was absolutely not worth it to me. I still have the scars on my face from the two cystic acne lesions this caused on my face. Never again. I know it works miracles for some people, but I am not one of them.

Finally😊
Reviewed on July 2, 2015

Okay so I'm 16 and I did get maybe 2 or 3 bumps when I was 14 in between my eyebrows but that was it after that it grew bad pimples will always occur and then I will pop them then it will leave scarring . I then start getting black heads (stubborn ones) on the side of my nose But then my face Start clearing up on its own then now I'm 16 a couple months ago my face just broke out so bad under my chin in between my eyebrows and on the side of my nose but nun on my forehead or cheeks so I went to my doctor she didn't do anything she said it wasn't bad at all (I thought it was lol) but she said for me to use dermesil cleansing bar it worked really good for about 3 months then it stop working because my skin became comfortable with it so I was so mad and stressed I try to keep oily products off because it can cause more pimpes so a few weeks before I went to my derm I decided to cut junk food out my diet I seen a big decrease in my acne and at this time I was only washing day & night with warm water but I still wanted clearer so my derm gave me epudio I've been using for about 2 weeks and see good results my blemish are gone face is smooth . The first few days no burn no nothing finally I started to feel very intense burning it burnt my face so bad it left like burn marks and it dry my face out so much . But I guess that's the work but it doesn't burn any more but I will give this a 10 oh Yea and my face did break out a little when I first start using but sometimes that's just your skin telling you its been a change but I encourage ppl to get it if they dont have it please make an appointment to a local derm .. Good Luck I'll Keep Updated

P.s -There Is A Epiduo App to keep track of your dose and of your acne improvement Plz Download Ttyl 😘

Really works!
Reviewed on June 21, 2015

I use Epiduo (Tactuo in Canada) alongside with Diane 35 to help control my hormonal acne. With the pill alone, I still manage to get a couple of pimples a month, especially before my period. Epiduo helps get rid of existing spots as well as preventing any new ones. Every night I use one pump of the stuff for my entire face and I never need any more. I did get a bit of an initial breakout but it wasn't bad. What I didn't anticipate was how red my skin would get. I think after 2-3 weeks the redness/IB subsided and I was starting to see results. It's also helped lighten up my PIH.

One warning though, when you first start using it, it definitely thins your skin out. I was doing 40% lactic acid peels and I didn't take that into account - ended up giving myself a little burn. I've been using Epiduo for half a year now so I can do my peels without any damage, but beware!

Took long to work, but worth it
Reviewed on June 4, 2015

I had a lot of hormonal acne and white heads from a birth control pill that made my face break out horribly. I switch pills and it was much better, but I needed something to really clear what was left. I needed a topical medicine so my derm gave me Epiduo.

Week 1: Cleared a little, nothing really happened.

Week 2: I had horrible burning, stinging, peeling skin. I had to start using it every other day for about 1.5 months until I got more used to it.

Weeks 3-4: I started breaking out a lot, it was upsetting but I kept using it.

Weeks 5-6: My skin started calming down again!

Weeks 7-8: I broke out horribly yet again. I wanted to give up but I told myself stick with it for 3 months

Week 9: I am currently on week 9 and it's a total change. My acne has stopped forming, and old acne is clearing! Now I see why the doctor says wait at least 6-8 weeks to start seeing improvement.

Overal I'm very excited that my acne is starting to clear. I gave it a 4 only because it makes your skin dry and sensitive, and slightly oily. Not horribly though.

I would definitely recommend this! And wait at least 3 months before quitting, any acne medicine takes a while to start working :)

Amazing for Comedonal Acne!!!!
Reviewed on June 3, 2015

My first week on it, I was putting way too much on my skin was burning like crazy! I took a couple days off and tried again. You should only use ONCE a day. I use on and off with regular benzoyl peroxide and after two months has almost gotten rid of all of my comedonal acne!! My skin looks so much younger. I started seeing results after the first month when all of my comedonal acne was unplugging and becoming black heads. for my hormonal cystic acne I have been using yaz and so far it has seemed to be working really well. if you haven't seen your GP or Dermatologist for acne, go now!!

Epidou
Reviewed on June 2, 2015

I've been taking epidou for about two or three months. My face is way better then what it started off to be it probably would be totally clear right now but I stopped using it for a long period. I'm just now getting back on it. When I first used it 😩 it was hell. My face burned like crazy and turned red. I also applied some to my neck and my neck went crazy. About a week or so my skin got used to it and now when I use it I can see it's doing my face wonders. My doctor perscribed me to take it two times a day. But I only take it at night time because exposure to the sun while taking this can leave to a horrible problem. 👌🏾

Magical cream!!
Reviewed on May 30, 2015

This stuff is amazing. I have been battling my acne 10 years, since I had my kids. I have tried every home remedy, store brought cream, lotion and potion. I then went to a 'skin clinic' and started light treatments that cost me $150 a week after a month I was broke and my skin was crap maybe even worse.

I finally gave in and went to my GP, I had previously not wanted to see him because I was convinced he would put me on some crazy drugs that would turn me into a prune.

He gave me Epiduo. I have been using it for roughly a month and my skin have cleared up remarkably. The bumps are disappearing and not many new ones appear and then they do they are only small and don't stick around long.

I didn't get much pain or drying out of my skin either.

A miracle cream
Reviewed on May 17, 2015

Epiduo has been an absolute miracle. I have always suffered with acne on and off since 18, now 30 but for some reason over the last 6 months my skin has been at its very worst. As most sufferers of acne I too have spent hundreds of £s on so called spot killers; Proactive etc. These products just didn't work for me. So I finally bit the bullet and saw my GP who referred me to a Dermatologist who then prescribed me Epiduo. It does give a temporary burning/tingling feeling, but doesnt cause me any redness or irritation. Epiduo dries out the spots very well. My skins is still getting used to the cream but after only 2 weeks there has been major improvements. I use Epiduo along with Lymecycline tablets once a day. I hope the results continue. Only time will tell.