Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel reviews

3.7/5 - 439 reviews

Brand: Epiduo

Epiduo Adapalene (.1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

Adapalene (0.1%), Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%).

Acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, docusate sodium, edetate disodium, glycerin, isohexadecane, poloxamer 124, polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, purified water, and sorbitan oleate.

Timeline
Reviewed on August 8, 2015

I will be updating this timeline as my treatment progresses! Final review will be at the end of my treatment (: [Taking this with minocycline]

Week 1- It burned and stung like crazy as soon as I applied it and stayed like that throughout the entire night. It turned my skin from extremely oily to dry, flaky, and red.

Week 2- It doesn't sting as bad when I apply it now. My skin looks like its clearing up a little bit!

Week 3- It now is completely sting-free when applied. My face is breaking out again though :-(

Week 4- I'm still breaking out very badly. Mostly black heads surrounding my lips although there ARE pustules (pimples) too :-/

Week 5- No significant difference from week 4

Week 6- My forearms have significantly improved, but the rest of my body is still a mess. My chin is breaking out sooo bad. I'm tired of waiting for this to work. I just want to start on some other prescription already.

Week 7- Just ran out of my first bottle. will update soon.

Teenage Acne
Reviewed on August 20, 2015

Hello, I'm 16 and have had acne since the beginning of high school, which is about 2 years for me. I'm going into grade 11 now and have had consistent and worsening acne while trying a number of different products. To debrief, I began using Epiduo in March and was very disappointed by the results I received after around 3 weeks to a month. I experienced an initial clearing of skin in the first week and then began to break out dramatically for weeks that followed. I put the product down after about a month and tried other methods. None of the products that I purchased seemed to better my skin, so after around 4 months I returned to my dermatologist in July with frustration and intentions to begin Accutane because the acne on my chin, though not severe, had not cleared for months and I had become extremely depressed with my failure to clear up. Reluctantly, I chose to take doxycycline and Epiduo from my dermatologist for a three month period. I'm on week five of this treatment and am not impressed with my results. I feel as though I may be in the same place as I was when I was prescribed and am growing impatient. I have had dryness, redness, and initial break outs but by week 5, my skin is continuing to have small break outs and hyper pigmentation. I'm wondering when I'll see dramatic results.

by soutera on 08/21/2015 02:57
comment with your help please?
Works well
Reviewed on August 16, 2015

This worked very well for my son except our insurance won't pay for it and it costs over $500 a tube which is insane since I saw straight Benzoyl Peroxide in Target for $3.50.

BE CAREFUL
Reviewed on August 16, 2015

I'm the type of person who never worries about treatments drying out my skin because it's just so damn oily you could cook an egg on it, and nothing ever dries out my skin. Except this bloody cream. It sucked all the moisture out of my skin like a death eater, I had dried up itchy red skin and flaking scaley skin on the corners of my mouth from where my whole face was dried out. It was horrific. The saddest part about my red lizard face is that I still had acne. So please use this with caution and use the smallest amount only on the places you need it and don't use it all the time.

Awful
Reviewed on August 5, 2015

Horrible stuff. Made my skin red and burny. My acne became 10 times worse yet I still persisted. Stopped using it 3 weeks ago. Acne almost gone! My skin is not dry or oily. I think this would be suited to people with oily skin. If you are using this in winter make sure you are using a water based moisturiser in the day!

Life Saver
Reviewed on April 27, 2015

I have suffered from acne on and off since I was a teen and have tried lots of antibiotic treatments which worked and then stopped working, retin-a gel, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid etc. to the point where my Doctor said there was nothing more he could do as he had tried everything, I am now 39, and had a horrendous outbreak after having a few years of beautiful clear skin. I really thought I had grown out of acne, so was horrified when this happened.

I ordered Epiduo from an online UK registered pharmacy at a cost of £38 delivered after filling out a form, they have a doctor review before dispensing. I had not heard of this treatment before, and it was like a miracle cure. I had no irritation, redness nothing. Infact it was like putting a skin rejuvenation treatment on my skin. I must add, this might be due to the fact that before using this I had been using Benzoyl peroxide 10% cream, which I now realise was far too strong, this had probably toughened my skin up, so now Epiduo was like a walk in the park. I applied it once a night, and no more than that, following with Eucerin dry skin moisturiser 15 minutes afterwards, which is for really sensitive skin, I did not apply it more often, I was very disciplined, less is more.

My skin is now back to normal, and the spots cleared up within a week of starting to use it, I now have totally clear skin, lets hope it lasts. I would encourage everyone to give it a go.

Update:

**Just thought I would add, it's now August 2015 and the Epiduo is still working well, my skin still tolerates it and I am still very happy.

Epiduo for Life!
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

Let me start by saying I have hormonal acne mainly on my lower cheeks. It started as soon as I turned 30 and I have been dealing with it for 4 years now. For the past year I'd get bumps primarily on my left cheek but now my right is being plagued too (**waaahhh**). I have been using epiduo for a year now and it truthfully hasn't done much to improve my acne completely, but it definitely helps even out my complexion on the rest of my face and smooth my skin which I will gratefully take. When I stop using epiduo for a period of time my breakouts will worsen so it absolutely helps calm it down some. Your face will get a little red and irritated (sometimes a bit itchy) at night when you put it on, but if you are consistent and fight through it you will eventually see some improvement. I am using epiduo in conjunction with finacea and differin. I will alternate between epiduo and differin every night (sometimes spot treat with both) and then use finacea every other morning. I am hoping this cocktail of topicals will eventually make my acne go away for good (*fingers crossed*).

It works great.
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

My acne problems have always been a recurring one and last year, meaning around Sept 2014 it got worse. I always had acne problems, but they'd clear up within a week with regular acne treatments I bought off from regular pharmacy stores. But around Sept 2014 it just got worse (I still have no clue why....), acne was breaking out all over my face, my forehead, both side of my cheeks, my chin and my neck area. It was a disaster and it honestly affected my self esteem....I felt really horrible and ugly. To make things worse, I was on internship - meaning I had to work, and I work at the zoo where I am constantly being out in the sun, which further worsened my situation.

After much hesitation I finally decided to visit a dermatologist, which has been in the field of study for many years. After consultation, she recommended me to use the following products:

Eau thermale Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser

Epiduo Gel (advised to use for night before bed)

Clindoxyl once daily gel (advised to use for daytime use)

Oral treatment (doxycycline)

**I have oily, acne prone and sensitive skin, please note!

This was a 6 month course....meaning i had to go back to the dermatologist for a follow up every 1 and a half month. I was also told to stop using other products and focus specifically on what she recommended.

I can start off by saying that within the first few weeks of going through the course, it was very tough. I was still breaking out, in fact, more than before! Red, swelling acne spots all over my entire face and neck, and I could not wear any form of makeup (it won't be able to conceal it anyway). However, I want to also empathise that this is also what my doctor told me to expect. For the first few weeks, putting on the medication would sort of "force" all of the toxins sunk deep into your face out, causing more acne to rise. I also had the bad habit to pick on my acne and strongly advised me against it, because it will leave deep scarring etc. That was also another issue that I had to deal it internally, because the doctor would not be around me 24/7. The first 3 months, I also had to take on oral medication, twice a day.

After most the swelling and the acne started to subside, which was approx after 3-1/2 months, I started to see results.....little by little. I was advised to apply the Epiduo on my face, a thin layer of it, every night before bed - so please note: you have to be very religious on it and apply it before you see results! There was few new breakouts (except when it's the time of the month), and the previous scars that I used to pick on started to heal!! The markings reduced slightly, bit by bit, day by day. Of course, one tube isn't enough, I had to pick up new ones each time I return to do a follow up, but it works. Towards the end of the treatment, my dermatologist was really proud of me - I would say 95% of my scarrings were GONE, little breakouts, and it feels like I had a whole new face (not exaggerating). I was also able to put on makeup as well by the end of it.

The most difficult part of it was that:

This takes time. The Epiduo is NOT a product that can cure your acne overnight. When i started the treatment I put the product every night, it reduces the swelling when new acne arises (because of oral medication) and when the acne subsides, it STARTS to slowly heal your scarring. I know how it feels when you have new acne, because I was struck by it on my entire face and I was HELPLESS, I was so embarrassed and I work front line, I get huge stares and I have never felt so unconfident in my life. But it takes time for it to heal, I think it's the most difficult part to conquer it.

Cliche but really works. Drink lots of water, stay hydrated and try to eat healthy. For me I drank a close to 2 litres of water a day and try to eat more fruits and vegetables. Try to stay stress free, learn how to manage stress, have more positive thoughts because your feelings affect your hormones which can affect the way your body works and cause acne. Not a result I searched on google --- advised by my doctor and does work :) Stay positive even if you feel really negative about your looks!

Would I recommend? Yes, because it works - and I already stopped other brands of acne medication because the Epiduo is worth the money for it and I do SEE the results. However, whatever that works for me might NOT work for you. I'm only sharing my experience but please take this as an opinion and at your own risk. Whatever I've shared here is being advised by my dermatologist and sometimes it might not work, because we all have different skin types and DIFFERENT acne problems.

I'm sharing this because you might be considering this but on the fence because of the price. It took me MONTHS to decide on visiting the dermatologist - because it's expensive - but it's worth it. I spent 3 digits on it but I see the results, and I'm proud of how far I've achieved. Visiting a dermatologist can change your life forever! Discuss with your parents before making that decision!

Hopefully this helps! Stay positive!

Cystic Acne, oh my.
Reviewed on July 21, 2015

Never have I ever experience cystic acne until I used this product. I tried to stick it out because everyone says "it gets worse before it gets better" - but lifetime scars that were out of the ordinary for my skin was absolutely not worth it to me. I still have the scars on my face from the two cystic acne lesions this caused on my face. Never again. I know it works miracles for some people, but I am not one of them.

Finally­čśŐ
Reviewed on July 2, 2015

Okay so I'm 16 and I did get maybe 2 or 3 bumps when I was 14 in between my eyebrows but that was it after that it grew bad pimples will always occur and then I will pop them then it will leave scarring . I then start getting black heads (stubborn ones) on the side of my nose But then my face Start clearing up on its own then now I'm 16 a couple months ago my face just broke out so bad under my chin in between my eyebrows and on the side of my nose but nun on my forehead or cheeks so I went to my doctor she didn't do anything she said it wasn't bad at all (I thought it was lol) but she said for me to use dermesil cleansing bar it worked really good for about 3 months then it stop working because my skin became comfortable with it so I was so mad and stressed I try to keep oily products off because it can cause more pimpes so a few weeks before I went to my derm I decided to cut junk food out my diet I seen a big decrease in my acne and at this time I was only washing day & night with warm water but I still wanted clearer so my derm gave me epudio I've been using for about 2 weeks and see good results my blemish are gone face is smooth . The first few days no burn no nothing finally I started to feel very intense burning it burnt my face so bad it left like burn marks and it dry my face out so much . But I guess that's the work but it doesn't burn any more but I will give this a 10 oh Yea and my face did break out a little when I first start using but sometimes that's just your skin telling you its been a change but I encourage ppl to get it if they dont have it please make an appointment to a local derm .. Good Luck I'll Keep Updated

P.s -There Is A Epiduo App to keep track of your dose and of your acne improvement Plz Download Ttyl ­čśś