Duac Clindamycin (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel

Recommended by 84% of visitors

Average price: $37.30

Most helpful review

By Emma, UK on 03/01/2013

Within 2 weeks, the acne rosacea I'd suffered with for 4 years was 80% gone. Cannot recommend this enough!.

Pros:
  • It works quickly
  • Clears spots and redness
  • Free on NHS
Cons:
  • Does dry skin but I used it at night and moisturised skin throughout the day

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful

Clindamycin as phosphate (1.2%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%).

Carbomer 980, dimeticone 100, disodium lauryl sulfosuccinate, disodium edetate, glycerol, silicon dioxide, poloxamer, purified water, sodium hydroxid.

Member reviews

“Duac”
By on

When I first got this, I had moderate acne on my forehead and it helped clear over 90% in probably 3-5 days. This stuff works fast and it's super effective! It's definitely worth a try--plus it doesn't dry me out at all......on the down side of this, it honestly stopped working for me after maybe a month or two. It MAY have prevented some acne, but I am not sure.

Overall I'd say if you're looking for a quick fix then give it a go!

Pros

• Works fast
  • Cleared a lot of acne
  • Not drying

Cons

• Stops working after awhile
  • for more than a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“very good”
By on

This does dry your skin out, but it also really works! The secret is to use it at night and use an oil free mosturiser in the day. I also avoid wearing foundation.

Pros

• clears acne and blackheads
  • free on nhs

Cons

• very drying
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Best topical acne treatment”
By on

Within a few days of using duac, my skin quickly became free of acne. My skin became soft and supple as a result of using this and a good moisturiser. It also faded my scars. Highly recommend.

• $ 40
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“It didnt really do anything”
By on

My skin was the same when i was on it, and it stained my towels!

• for about a month
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“MIRACLE PRODUCT! Have tried everything else - this is the best!”
By on

Straight out - WHAT AN AMAZING PRODUCT! I have struggled through my teens and early adulthood (now 22) with acne. Although I did start to take care of myself better as I got older, by watching my diet, using better products and more natural makeup - I still fought with the weekly breakout of big pimples and could never get rid of my blackheads which were all over my t-zone. I was getting more sad than frustrated as I was spending a considerable amount of Dermalogica products and Jane Iredale makeup (which I both love and continue to use), but I was beginning to accept that the acne was coming from the inside. I went to the doctors and they recommended the pill but after I read about the side effects (blood clots, etc.), I got completely turned off and would not use that as an option for my skin. The next doctor suggested Duac. I have used benzyl peroxide products in the past (Clearasil Ultra), and yes, it does help your pimples, but it never helped with blackheads and was definitely not a permanent solution. To get to the point - I am only on DAY 5 of using Duac and I have absolutely NO BLACKHEADS and the pimples I had ARE COMPLETELY GONE. I really can't believe my eyes. I was completely skeptical about this product and I thought it would take months to make a difference! My doctor said that Duac can help your skin long term, even after you stop using it. I thought I would have to go onto antibiotics or other treatments but so far, looks like all I need is Duac :)

As for the side effects I have been reading below, I don't have any dryness or peeling. There is a small tingling sensation but that's about it. I think you have to be really careful with your skin and use a thick oil-free moisteriser (I use Dermalogica) to keep your skin from going dry - just don't apply it to the sections where your skin is thinner. Everyone needs to give this product a go, side effects are minimum and results are amazing - I hope it works for all of you too!

Pros

• Clears blackheads COMPLETELY
  • Worked within 5 days of treatment
  • If you moisterise well, your skin will not dry out

Cons

• Have to keep in the fridge (meaning I have to get up)
  • A small tingling sensation (I've had worse!)
  • for about a week
  • $ 45
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Please give this stuff a try!!!!”
By on

I've been using this for a few months and my face is completely clear (occasional flare up depending on how consistently I'm using it /makeup products.) Use it every night and you will not regret it. Worked like a miracle for me

Pros

• Clears your skin
  • Skin doesn't feel greasy in the morning

Cons

• Little dryness
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Somewhat effective...”
By on

Duac works to an extent, but it did not clear my face of acne. Also, benzoyl peroxide generates free radicals and delays the heeling of the skin, meaning red marks and hyperpigmentation lasts longer.

Pros

• clears some pimples

Cons

• generates free radicals
  • not 100% effective
  • for about a year
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Most effective topical I used”
By on

This was the only cream that made a difference for me. I found that it's best applied twice a day and for many times in my life I didn't need anything else to control my skin. Then I got fed up, as not only does this cream start to smell if you leave it on the whole day, it bleaches clothes, it's expensive, scars take long to fade, and most importantly, it will never cure your acne only deal with the symptoms. If you mild acne without any cysts then I would advise using this cream otherwise speak to your derm about accutane.

Pros

• Limits breakouts

Cons

• Smells
  • Drys skin
  • Bleaches clothes
  • for more than a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Less than impressed”
By on

I was very patient with this topical cream but after 8 months I have not seen noteworthy improvement.

Pros

• easy to apply
  • inexpensive
  • not too harsh

Cons

• bleaches pillow cases
  • still have active breakouts very frequently
  • for about a year
  • $ 12
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Wish it coulda worked”
By on

I was on this for a while, and it did nothing but dry me out. I really wanted it to work, but it didn't. None of my zits cleared up. It just dried my zits up and made them look angry and red. ):

Pros

• May work for oily skinned people

Cons

• drying
  • didn't work ):
  • for a few months
  • $ 20
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.