Dr. Blaine's Scar Care Silicone Pad reviews

3.5/5 - 2 reviews

Brand: Dr. Blaine's

Dr. Blaine's Scar Care Silicone Pad

Mineral Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Acetate), Medical-grade Silicone Sheeting Infused With Vitamin E And Benzalkonium Chloride.

Tiff, VA
Reviewed on May 2, 2011

I have used this stuff for almost a year cause I believe in giving things time to work. This doesn't. If you happen to be someone that rolls around while you're sleeping and have oily skin, chances are when you wake up in the morning the little adhesive "scar pad" will be stuck in your hair. But hey, I'm a good sport. I decided to go pick up some medical tape and try it that way. Besides the extremely uncomfortable sleeping conditions with this stuff taped to your face all night every night for almost a year; in the end, it doesn't work. It's uncomfortable, it's sticky, and it really only works on scars that are raised. Unfortunately, that's not the case with my icepick scars. Though, I may add, it worked EXTREMELY well on 2 of my raised scars. They're almost gone. But as for the rest of my face, I guess I'll have to keep looking

Anonymous, East Coast
Reviewed on December 31, 2009

My daughter had a pimple (or possibly bug bite? Spider bite?) get infected, resulting in necrosis. A dermatologist had to cut out the dead tissue, leaving a very deep crater in her forehead. She was prescribed Biafine to help it heal (which worked great!) but still had a DEEP boxcar scar left (a little larger than the diameter of a pencil eraser). The dermatologist told her to try silicone sheets for a month or two, but warned her that the she was likely going to need plastic surgery given the depth of the scar. We bought a silicone pad over the internet (which didn't stick well) but then tried Dr. Blaine's which I found at the grocery store (ACME). It is a thick pad that's ~ 3" by 4". We cut off small 3/4" square to cover the scar. She wore the pad every night for two months, and we saw the scar get much shallower. She continued another 4 months, and saw more improvement. We saw the dermatologist last week for a six month check. He was shocked at how much better the scar looked. He had thought that a punch excision/stitches or other surgery would be necessary to correct the scar given its initial depth, but said it probably will only need dermabrasion to smooth out the edges. He told my daughter to use the pads another six months before pursuing a plastic surgery option (he's actually hopeful that she won't even need dermabrasion). He actually had his nurse take a picture of the box to tell his other patients. At least for my daughter, it worked wonders! I'm hoping the edges of the scar fill in as well as the middle did. She's had ~ 90% improvement so far. I don't know how much can be attributed to the silicone pads vs. her own healing, but from the dermatologist's reaction, I think her results are exceptional!