Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.4/5 - 1259 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Product Pictured:
100mg of Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

great but WARNING!!
Reviewed on June 1, 2017

so i was on doxy for about a month and a half with retina cream and it was great my acne was going away and my acne scars were fading. but suddenly i started having upper stomach pains and trouble swallowing- feeling almost like acid reflex. i thought to myself that it couldn't possibly be the medicine. but i went to my derm and she proved me wrong- apparently you aren't supposed to be taking this medicine at night- it will mess up your stomach big time!! I now have to wait a week for my stomach to heal in order to take it again- but now I know that you're supposed to take it while you're up and moving so it can digest properly! I hope this helps a lot of y'all! I can't wait to get back on this pill, though. Ever since i've been off it- my face has broken out big time :( but please be careful taking this pill!

Never!
Reviewed on May 28, 2017

Wouldn't recommend this for anyone suffering from acne. Took it for two months and it did literally nothing. It worsened my acne after I stopped taking it as I didn't see any results

terrible
Reviewed on May 23, 2017

used it for only 2 months because it broke me out along my jawline like never before

i had huge deep cystic pimples when i've only ever had small whiteheads and hardly as many

took myself off of it before it got any worse

by As123 on 05/24/2017 23:03
KarolSmith, it is said that your acne could get worse before it improves, and it's estimated that visible improvements may not even be noticed til three to six months.
Early days yet
Reviewed on May 18, 2017

Early days yet. I went to my GP a week ago about my acne rosacea and he gave me a referral to a dermatologist, as well as something (Doxycycline) to treat my skin til I go to the derm. I've only been on it a week but I haven't experienced any side effects and I always take it with food, never on an empty stomach since you can develop stomach ulcers.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys updated about my success and wish the best for me.

Been working well
Reviewed on May 13, 2017

I started on this pill 2 months ago, and I've seen positive results. When I started on it, my acne was horrible - especially around the jaw, chin, and forehead. I'd get new pimples every day and they were always very red, swollen and painful (and would keep coming in the some spots). Within 3 weeks, I started seeing my face clearing up. Of course now and then, I still get a small pimple, but it does not get as swollen and disappears much faster. I have not suffered from any of the negative side effects associated with this antibiotic, so it's definitely been a positive experience so far! For topical treatment, I've also been using a vitamin A cream (Differin) at night, and I think the combination of these two have really been helping, especially with fading my old acne marks. I know your body tends to build up resistance to antibiotics eventually - so far it hasn't happened, but we will have to wait and see.

Doxycycline and Retin- A
Reviewed on May 13, 2017

I have been on this prescription medicine and Retin-A cream for about 7 weeks. The first 6 weeks were tough for me. I definitely went through the "purging" stage and experienced some bad break outs. Once i reached this week, week 7, i can see a HUGE difference in my skin. My acne is mostly small to medium sized white heads on my forehead and around my mouth/chin. This week my entire chin is cleared up along with my forehead being clear but also with a few minimal pimples near my mouth which are hardly noticeable. The only thing that bothers me is the redness and hyper pigmentation that is left behind after each breakout that you get. This is most likely due to the cream i put on overnight because the cream, Retin-A, works with the surface of the skin while doxycycline works with your body internally. Overall i would definitely recommend waiting out on this product even though it may take a few weeks for it to kick in. Seeing this progress with my skin is super encouraging and i can't wait to see what it looks like when it clears completely and all the redness fades. Don't lose faith on this medicine!! Wait it out before giving up too soon.

Doxy
Reviewed on May 10, 2017

I'm a 23 yr old female suffering from hormonal acne on my jawline (bad) neck and cheeks I have been on doxy now for 2 weeks. I haven't noticed much or any difference. Iv had two pretty bad break outs right as they start to heal BAM a new lot pop up.

I find that it makes my cystic acne on my jawline itch really bad. And dry lips

I will stick it out for the full course.

I have read so many mixed reviews but still hoping for the best

So happy I chose Doxy
Reviewed on April 6, 2017

Once I got to college I realized that my skin started breaking out more --- way more. Throughout middle and high school I had never had bad acne. I would get one, maybe two pimples a week on average, but it was very manageable. However, when I got to college, I'm guessing a mixture of the dining hall food, water, and stress accumulated to the huge increase in acne I was getting. My Aunt is a doctor and suggested I go on doxycycline so I decided to give it a shot. During the first month I didn't see much of a difference and was doubting the drug, but after about 5 weeks of taking it, my skin became totally clear. I feel back to my normal self and no longer feel the need to cover up with any face makeup (unless going out or for a special occasion). Doxy really helped me for the better ad I definitely recommend to anyone struggling with acne!

The worst experience
Reviewed on March 22, 2017

My experience with this drug is similar to a lot of other reviews I have read but it is slightly different, I guess, in that even with my bad experience I now have clear skin - no thanks to doxy.

When I was pre-pubescent I tried all sorts of drug store stuff - toners, clearasil, oxy… anything I could find at CVS. Then it became a little more apparent, to even my mom I guess, that what I was doing wasn’t working. That’s when I started using Proactive, then Rodan and Fields. And when those didn’t work and my cystic acne blew up on my face out of nowhere (I was about 17), my mom took me to a dermatologist and they put me on Doxy. I was on it for the most hellish 6 months of my life. First let’s talk side effects. Every.Single.Night I would wake up thinking I might be dying. I had never experienced heart burn before and I was sure it was a heart attack. Every.Night. I am not exaggerating. I don’t think I slept very much those 6 months. Also, I didn’t know that taking this stuff would make my skin ultra sensitive to the sun. I went out one day to play tennis when it was like 75, no big deal, without sunblock on (Shoot me - I forgot) and within an hour, my arms were bright red and later turned into sun blisters that burst - I still have scars.

Side effects aside, let’s talk about the results. There were none. in fact, like other people have mentioned, my acne got worse. It got so bad that I actually managed to convince my mom to let me do work study for an entire month my Junior year. She felt bad for me because my face looked so awful. It was clear that this was not working and in fact, due to no sleep, I was turning into a crazy person. When I stopped, just the fact that I was able to sleep a full night was heaven.

If you can believe it, one of my neighbor’s had worse acne than I did and he was only 13. It was hard for me to see someone else going through it. Right when I was in the worst of my acne, my mom saw him and his mom at the store and she said that his acne was gone. Like completely clear (aside from some scars). Of course, my mom had to ask what they had done. So she comes back with this product name I had never heard of called Ninja Skincare. We both went online and tried to do some research. There wasn’t a lot out there on them, a couple of good reviews but not a lot. We called them and instantly someone answered and talked with us for an entire hour, going through my history, genetics, diet, prescriptions… like everything I could ever think of. At the end of an hour, she told us what products she would recommend for me and was so cool. I really didn’t hesitate for a second to give them a try.

That was 2+ years ago, I am 20 now, been clear 2 solid years. I still follow the treatment plan perfectly, my scars are almost all gone and I am so thankful I found them. Don’t do prescriptions people! They are just straight up poison! I am happy for all of you that it worked for but when there are other things that work out there, why would you even risk it?!

PLEASE READ: Dangers of Overusing Antibiotics
Reviewed on February 13, 2017

I was perscribed tetracycline, doxycycline, etc. for 3-6 months each course. While I was on these antibiotics my skin was perfectly smooth. Naturally, I wanted to upkeep this level of improvement so I continued to use these antibiotics. Because of the overuse of antibiotics I have developed a skin condition called "pityrosporum folliculitis."

There's is a delicate balance of bacteria and fungi/yeast on our skin. Which, for the most part, is there to benefit the human body. By overusing or inappropriately using antibiotics, this balance can become disrupted and cause an overgrowth of the fungi/yeast. This imbalance resulted in "acne-like" bumps all over my neck, chest, and back. I was genuinely devastated and spent an entire summer seeing a psychologist because I felt so depressed over it. This condition is not curable, it is ONLY treatable.

There's not a day that goes by that I wish I had explored other alternative to heal my acne. I have been able to keep it under control for the most part but like bacteria, yeast can become resistant to anti-fungal medications. So please do not try to "fix" your acne with a temporary solution that can lead to long-term consequences.

*For the record I am not against taking antibiotics when necessary but doctors should not be allowed to prescribe them for acne.