Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.4/5 - 1252 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Product Pictured:
100mg of Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

So happy I chose Doxy
Reviewed on April 6, 2017

Once I got to college I realized that my skin started breaking out more --- way more. Throughout middle and high school I had never had bad acne. I would get one, maybe two pimples a week on average, but it was very manageable. However, when I got to college, I'm guessing a mixture of the dining hall food, water, and stress accumulated to the huge increase in acne I was getting. My Aunt is a doctor and suggested I go on doxycycline so I decided to give it a shot. During the first month I didn't see much of a difference and was doubting the drug, but after about 5 weeks of taking it, my skin became totally clear. I feel back to my normal self and no longer feel the need to cover up with any face makeup (unless going out or for a special occasion). Doxy really helped me for the better ad I definitely recommend to anyone struggling with acne!

The worst experience
Reviewed on March 22, 2017

My experience with this drug is similar to a lot of other reviews I have read but it is slightly different, I guess, in that even with my bad experience I now have clear skin - no thanks to doxy.

When I was pre-pubescent I tried all sorts of drug store stuff - toners, clearasil, oxy… anything I could find at CVS. Then it became a little more apparent, to even my mom I guess, that what I was doing wasn’t working. That’s when I started using Proactive, then Rodan and Fields. And when those didn’t work and my cystic acne blew up on my face out of nowhere (I was about 17), my mom took me to a dermatologist and they put me on Doxy. I was on it for the most hellish 6 months of my life. First let’s talk side effects. Every.Single.Night I would wake up thinking I might be dying. I had never experienced heart burn before and I was sure it was a heart attack. Every.Night. I am not exaggerating. I don’t think I slept very much those 6 months. Also, I didn’t know that taking this stuff would make my skin ultra sensitive to the sun. I went out one day to play tennis when it was like 75, no big deal, without sunblock on (Shoot me - I forgot) and within an hour, my arms were bright red and later turned into sun blisters that burst - I still have scars.

Side effects aside, let’s talk about the results. There were none. in fact, like other people have mentioned, my acne got worse. It got so bad that I actually managed to convince my mom to let me do work study for an entire month my Junior year. She felt bad for me because my face looked so awful. It was clear that this was not working and in fact, due to no sleep, I was turning into a crazy person. When I stopped, just the fact that I was able to sleep a full night was heaven.

If you can believe it, one of my neighbor’s had worse acne than I did and he was only 13. It was hard for me to see someone else going through it. Right when I was in the worst of my acne, my mom saw him and his mom at the store and she said that his acne was gone. Like completely clear (aside from some scars). Of course, my mom had to ask what they had done. So she comes back with this product name I had never heard of called Ninja Skincare. We both went online and tried to do some research. There wasn’t a lot out there on them, a couple of good reviews but not a lot. We called them and instantly someone answered and talked with us for an entire hour, going through my history, genetics, diet, prescriptions… like everything I could ever think of. At the end of an hour, she told us what products she would recommend for me and was so cool. I really didn’t hesitate for a second to give them a try.

That was 2+ years ago, I am 20 now, been clear 2 solid years. I still follow the treatment plan perfectly, my scars are almost all gone and I am so thankful I found them. Don’t do prescriptions people! They are just straight up poison! I am happy for all of you that it worked for but when there are other things that work out there, why would you even risk it?!

PLEASE READ: Dangers of Overusing Antibiotics
Reviewed on February 13, 2017

I was perscribed tetracycline, doxycycline, etc. for 3-6 months each course. While I was on these antibiotics my skin was perfectly smooth. Naturally, I wanted to upkeep this level of improvement so I continued to use these antibiotics. Because of the overuse of antibiotics I have developed a skin condition called "pityrosporum folliculitis."

There's is a delicate balance of bacteria and fungi/yeast on our skin. Which, for the most part, is there to benefit the human body. By overusing or inappropriately using antibiotics, this balance can become disrupted and cause an overgrowth of the fungi/yeast. This imbalance resulted in "acne-like" bumps all over my neck, chest, and back. I was genuinely devastated and spent an entire summer seeing a psychologist because I felt so depressed over it. This condition is not curable, it is ONLY treatable.

There's not a day that goes by that I wish I had explored other alternative to heal my acne. I have been able to keep it under control for the most part but like bacteria, yeast can become resistant to anti-fungal medications. So please do not try to "fix" your acne with a temporary solution that can lead to long-term consequences.

*For the record I am not against taking antibiotics when necessary but doctors should not be allowed to prescribe them for acne.

Truly works!
Reviewed on February 3, 2017

I've been on doxy for over a year, and my face has NEVER (I repeat, NEVER!) been this clear since before I can remember. At age 23 I stopped tanning and that's when my acne got REALLY bad. I've used every kind of benzyl peroxide wash and basically any remedy I could find on the internet. Here is what I use now for 100% flawless skin at age 26:

200mg/day doxycycline (though I've began to ween myself off in recent weeks, reducing it to 100mg/day)

Wash face twice a day with Murad AHA/BHA exfoliating cleanser (suggested by derm).

Retin-A 0.1% after washing face at night (I still get a little dried out by this and had to work myself up to this potency, also suggested by derm.) *Note: Retin-A did NOT help on its own; it wasn't until I began doxy that the topical cream could actually do its job. *Side note: Also reduces fine lines and wrinkles ;) BONUS

Dramatically Different Clinique moisturizing gel in the morning (I did not start this until my acne was clear for at least a couple months to reduce the chance of clogging pores).

Lastly, I use Bare Minerals foundation (it doesn't clog pores and allows your skin to breathe!) and ensure my make up tools are cleaned regularly. I get prescriptions for Retin-A and doxy from my doctor and pay $10 co-pay for each (a zillion times cheaper than everything else everyone is trying to sell you to clear up a problem that cannot be fixed through a topical cream alone).

My hope is that someone struggling with acne will take my advice. I used to genuinely feel like less of a person because of my acne, like everyone judged me and would only notice what was on my face. I am so HAPPY I found this resolution, I hope you do too!

by briwokas on 02/13/2017 18:28
Hi Sarah, I've been where you are now but please be aware of the side effects long-term antibiotic use. I never thought anything negative could happen to ME from using antibiotics but it did and changed me for the rest of my life. Look up "pityrosporum folliculitis" and please take a probiotic to attempt to replenish the good bacteria that has been wiped out by the antibiotics.
by SarahAnn13 on 03/03/2017 00:14
Being on an antibiotic for a long period of time was a concern for me, so my doctor did suggest I take a probiotic. I only take one or two a week. I also eat greek yogurt daily with live cultures for this reason as well. I'm sorry you had a poor experience, how long were you on Doxy?
Worked for my hormonal acne
Reviewed on January 16, 2017

When I turned 21 I started getting severe cystic acne around my jaw and on my cheeks. I tried creams, gels, herbal stuff and 'acne' products that aren't actually for people with acne. I eventually got so sick of feeling bad about my skin, I went to see a doctor and was prescribed doxycycline for 3 months. I was so skeptical because I read a few bad reviews and I just gave up all hope of anything working but 5 months later I have much better skin. I read that apparently it makes your skin worse before it gets better but that never happened for me and they started working noticably after about 2 weeks. I still get one cystic acne lump every so often but it's nothing compared to how bad my skin used to be, my scars are fading and my skin looks less red, I'm so pleased with the results. However towards the end of the 3 month period I started to get quite bad nausea to the point where I was throwing up every other day so I started taking them on a full stomach with water and that stopped the nausea completely. Do NOT lye down after taking!!!

by Nancyrex on 03/31/2017 05:37
Are you still using doxy?
Another dead end...no help
Reviewed on January 7, 2017

I'm 19 year old and been struggling with mild persistent acne and very oily skin since I was 13. I was on Limecycline for over a year and that helped a couple of years ago however it didnt last. Recently with going to University my skin has become the worst it has ever been and I am sick to death of feeling so insecure about my face, I hate having to constantly cover my skin with makeup to be able to go outside the house. My dermatologist has given me this before making the decision to go on accutane (which I am waiting to go on now FINALLY) - it has been a little over three months and it has barely helped at all, infact my skin just continues to get worse :( it honestly is so depressing. The first month on this made my skin terrible, it has slightly improved since then but I cant see this as a long term fix at all. It's time to get this acne and confidence battle over with and i pray accutane will be my cure :). Perhaps if your acne is very moderate and tolerable this may help, however not for more severe cases.

not working, yet
Reviewed on January 4, 2017

I've been on it for about 2months, I don't know if it's psychic but I don't think this is working for my inflammatory acne. if anything, it only made my acne break out the week 2 and 3 of taking it. Thanks to it I have lots more scars to get rid of. My Dr said as there are non-real improvements by now, I will have to take it for more than 3 months. Maybe it gets worse before it gets better. will update later!

by Britney Troy on 03/18/2017 16:11
This is exactly the same as me, I've been on doxycycline for 2 months now and it hasn't changed my skin, if anything made it worse. I mainly was breaking out in the 2nd and 3rd week also. And yes I never use to scar even though I would always squeeze a pimple when I got one, scarring was just so rare for me. But now every pimple I get scars. But I'm just going to wait it out and hope it eventually gets better
Cleared my skin (for a couple of months)
Reviewed on January 2, 2017

Cleared my skin completely.. to the point I had baby skin again.. unfortunately just like with any antibiotic, acne comes back after you stop taking it

be patient and it will work
Reviewed on December 31, 2016

Hello everyone, I'm 13 yrs old so if you are not a teenager then you probably have a different skin type to me but i'm also middle eastern ( Kurdish to be precise.) I was previously on a acne drug called tetralysal and it didn't really do the magic on my skin, so I went back to my local doctor and she prescribed me tetracycline/doxycycline 1 tablet a day, at the start,the drug didn't really kick it and i had a few yellow breakout that left a scar but as i reached the end of the month my skin hadn't had a major breakout for about 2 weeks and with daily washing my face is much more clearer and my mum has noticed a difference in my skin but unfortunately i have acne scars,there not major but there is some red scars which really does bother me. I would recommend this if your acne isn't as severe but if you have really bad acne then go on accutane. Lot of people say do not drink or eat dairy products as they do your skin hell, but i've been enjoying full fat milk and lots of chocolate and it has not made a difference to my skin at all so is probably all a myth. please do not use heavy facial scrubs on your face EVERYDAY as it will leave your skin feeling rough and not smooth, it will also scrub off a layer of skin which is vital to preventing acne , so make sure you gently scrub your face and only scrub once a month in the t-zone,chin and nose.DO NOT SCRUB EVERYDAY. also does anyone know what to do about my scarring? will it go because im 13 and im still growing?

Many thanks

naz

btw doxy will not work in a month it will take time

1.5 months in...no real improvement
Reviewed on December 8, 2016

I have been on doxy for 46 days. I have a mixture of inflammatory and non inflammatory acne and face has not improved at all. If anything I seem to be getting a lot more pustules on my face than I did before taking it. Regarding back and chest, every other day I wake up and it looks the smallest bit better and then the next day it looks a lot worse (red bumps) and this continues. It could be the creams and washes I am using clears up the redness and makes it look a bit better on the 'little bit better days'. So far I will give it 2 stars just because my chest looks the best it has in a year on the 'little bit better days' (although it is still pretty severe on these days, but better). But overall my skin hasn't improved yet and is in someways getting worse. I am hoping that at 3 months this will have changed and I will keep at it and update either way. If not the only pill I haven't tried is accutane!