Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic

Brand: Doxycycline

Most helpful review

By patrick95 on 12/30/2012
thumbnail

I'm 22 and I've had acne since the age of 15. In the last three years it has gotten so severe that I decided to see a dermatologist. He put me on 150 mg of this once a day. It's been over two weeks and I am floored by the results so far. I have cystic acne and nothing has ever worked for my face before. I have a couple of bumps on my jawline and everything else is clear. Pimples that would normally take weeks to heal are gone in two days..

Pros:
  • Works fast.
  • Inexpensive with my insurance.
Cons:
  • Makes skin dry and flaky but moisturizing can fix that.

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful

Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

Member reviews

“Somewhat helpful”
By on

I've been using Apo-Doxy 100 mg in conjunction with Aczone topical gel, and together they've helped somewhat clear my skin. I do still break out, but my breakouts don't last as long; i'd start off with a bump and then (after spot-applying) Aczone, usually the pimple would disappear by the next morning. The acne on my back and chest have appeared to disappear (I don't use Aczone on those areas), so the pills are helping for bodily acne. But again, my facial acne hasn't completely disappeared.

Update: I used this treatment for 3 months. I have now completed my treatment and I can say that I break out a lot less, but I still have a few acne scars. I also noticed that I was a lot more moody while I was on the medication, and felt depressed some days. Another important thing is the stomach pain that comes with it. About 2 months into my treatment, I would get really bad stomach pains -- almost ulcer-like. I was then given some Prevacid pills to take 30 minutes before the Apo-Doxy. The Prevacid helped a lot. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this treatment because my skin didn't really improve as much, which makes the suffering worthless.

Pros

• Easy to take, once a day

Cons

• Extreme nausea if taken on an empty stomach
  • Stomach cramps that make you feel like dying
  • Moodiness / Depression
  • for a few months
  • $ 5
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Great until you build resistance!”
By on

When I first went to see my GP with bad acne (2003) he prescribed this for me. It worked BEAUTIFULLY!!! I have always had problems with acne and this was my second time with a cycle of bad acne.

However after using this for a couple of years (Not continuously, as the doctor advised against it... every few months for a couple of years) the effectiveness stopped completely. My doctor said that I may have built up resistance towards the antibiotic, and prescribed topical Erythromycin solution. Helped for awhile but became ineffective too.

DOES NOT MEAN IT WONT WORK FOR YOU!!! It DID FOR ME!! just became less effective over time.

Pros

• Cleared my skin
  • no lengthy rituals - just taking a pill

Cons

• became less effective over time
  • for more than a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Worked for me!”
By on

I took Doxycycline for 4 months, from October 2013 to January 2014. After trying out the oil cleansing method, my skin broke out like crazy, and nothing was working to clear it, so my doctor prescribed me doxycycline. From the first week I started to notice changes. Breakouts would decrease in size and the inflammation on my face would also reduce. I would still get occasional pimples popping up, but they wouldn't last long and would quickly disappear. It took a while for all of my acne to clear, it wasn't until the very end of the 4 month period in which I took the antibiotic, that I could honestly say all of my acne was gone. At the end of the 4 months, my skin was completely clear, I had no active acne, just hyper-pigmentation from old breakouts.

I actually liked doxycycline, and the other side effect I had with it, was that I would get sun burnt very easily, and would develop a rash on my chest and neck every time I went out in the sun. However, this didn't bother me too much, as the results I was seeing were incredible and I was just happy that it was working.

Pros

• Cheap
  • Very noticeable results
  • Blemishes disappear quicker

Cons

• Got sun burnt easily
  • Got a rash when exposed to sun
  • for a few months
  • $ 14
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“worked for me!”
By on

So after having pretty much every type of acne (blackheads whiteheads cystic etc) across my chest and shoulders my whole teen life I decided to stop hiding and see a doctor. Im allergic to natural penicillin but got an artificial derivative of this drug. Initially I had an awful break out (in places I've never had issues too) turns out that was the duac gel which I've stopped using. A month on and everything is clear! Finally I can focus on clearing up those scars! Pretty expensive in Australia and comes in really small packets but im stoked with the results and actually wear singlets now!

Pros

• fast
  • effective (for me) on different types of acne
  • tiny pill

Cons

• pricey (in aus)
  • for a few months
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Waste of time”
By on

I was taking this on a fairly regular basis. I followed the directions exactly as the bottle said. As soon as I was done with a dose, the acne would be back in 2-3 months. Here I am 3 years later and my acne is still here. If your doctor tries this route, I'd reconsider.

Pros

• Fast results

Cons

• Not permanent!
  • for about a year
  • $ 10
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Does Not Work”
By on

Does not work, can taste bad -acid reflux

I prefer non-pharma ways to treat acne. Drugs didn't cause it, so drugs are not going to cure it for me.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• waste of money
  • if its antibiotic it will kill good bacteria too
  • for more than a year
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not effective for me”
By on

My skin just was really sensitive to the sunlight, and it did not really improve my complexion at all. I didn't necessarily get worse, but I didn't get better either.

Pros

• didn't get worse

Cons

• makes you very sensitive
  • for a few months
  • $ 10
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Doxycycline antibiotics”
By on

Have had mild-severe acne for about a year now. Went to a dermatologist who got my taking doxycycline tablets twice a day (as well as face cream) and told me to come back in a month if I hadn't noticed any changes. Face was dry/scaly for about a week and a half. After a month of taking them I noticed no changes. Not only did I have the same red scaring dots, I was still getting bumbs on my face (acne). So for me personally it did not work as I think they were not strong enough. He has now put me on Bactrim and Epiduo gel. Hopefully that works.

Pros

• Affordable

Cons

• Made my skin dry and scaly for about a week and a half (couldn't even wear makeup as it would just flake)
  • Didn't work for me
  • Spent money on face cream and pills that I still have left over
  • for about a month
  • $ 15
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Cleared up Acne but it came back”
By on

I've had severe acne from the time I was 16. I took doxcycline (2x a day first month) around the beginning of my junior year in high school along with two topical creams benzoyl peroxide (in the morning) and adapalene (at night) (I don't remember the concentration of either of them. Within 2 and 1/2 months my skin with clear. So I, being young and dumb and hate taking my med, cut my prescription by a month and a half. I was suppose to be taking doxy for a total of four months. Within 3 months of getting off it my acne came back, but just moderately.

Six months off doxycycline my acne became moderately severe. It's been about two years and I'm starting doxcycline again along with epiduo. Hopefully the good results will happen again.

My best advice is to used it directly as prescribed and do definitely take it with food.

Pros

• clears up face

Cons

• acne comes back
  • causes nausea
  • for a few months
  • $ 80
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not the miracle product I was looking for”
By on

My doctor prescribed me 100mg/dag. After 1 month there was a little improvement, so I decided to keep taking it for another 1/2 months to see whether it keeps improving. In the end I can say it has helped a little. I don't get big cysts anymore, but my face is still full of bumps and closed and open comedons. It wasn't really worth it for me unfortunately:( I didn't experience any side effects by the way, which is a good thing offcourse.

Pros

• No side effects
  • No big cysts anymore

Cons

• Still a lot of bumps, closed comedons and open comedons.
  • My skin became a little more red.
  • for a few months
  • $ 25
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.