Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.5/5 - 1242 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Product Pictured:
100mg of Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

No results yet
Reviewed on October 27, 2016

I have been on this a month and saw no results so far. My dermatologist has me on it for two months so I'll see what I happens.

Worked, and then relapse after a year
Reviewed on October 16, 2016

I took this for about 6 months after a severe cystic outbreak (this outbreak was a relapse after accutane). Definitely cleared up my skin like a miracle, results were almost instantaneous that even my doctor was surprised. No purge, all inflammation just went down and my face was smooth. I could see my skin and the contours of my face again. (NOTE: I simultaneously eliminated dairy and sugar, and took probiotics after the antibiotics gave me a yeast infection).

Here I am, about a year after completing the 6-month course, with a relapse of cystic acne. Not as severe as before doxycycline, but still pretty bad. Even though it worked at that time, I'm never taking antibiotics again, just because I felt like I was poisoning my insides for 6 months. And seems to be a temporary solution for me because here we go again with another bout of breakouts.

by rosagnzlz on 10/25/2016 20:07
try curology https://[link removed]
Not for me, but maybe worth a shot
Reviewed on August 19, 2016

I was prescribed this after I had a very bad experience with Minocycline (headaches, and possibly pseudotumor cerebri).

I got headaches right off. I tried it for a couple of days, but it still was giving me head pain. I don't know if I'm just not meant to take antibiotics (I've heard doxycycline is related to minocycline) or what, but after what happened with the minocycline I wasn't willing to risk staying on a whole week.

It didn't work for me, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work for you.

by AmandaSanto on 08/22/2016 16:32
Did you find anything that worked for you? I have peri oral dermatitis and I have to take either minocycline or doxycycline...... I CANNOT tolerate Minocycline and Doxycycline is tolerable but I feel so strange on ti and I don't like it.
Worked immediately where expensive topicals didn't
Reviewed on August 19, 2016

I have always had acne problems and a few years ago (age 30) it got insanely out of control all over the sides of my face. Tried everything over the counter. No effect. Dermatoligist sold me 2 very expensive topicals that had zero effect. After all that finally, this super cheap antibiotic was prescribed. I think I was supposed to take it for 2 weeks. I had to stop somewhere around 1 week because of a side effect that made my eyes get swollen at night. Even stopping early cleared up my acne from severe all over to light around my jaw/neck. Since then I rarely use soap on my face. I tone with witch hazel, put tea tree oil on my acne spots and only lotion on occasion. I have kept it under control this way for about 3 years now.

Also interesting is that about 2 years ago I started taking a low dose ssri. It clears up my acne even more. I believe this is truly chemical vs. Mentally induced. After stopping the ssri the acne quickly starts popping up around my jaw despite no return of depression symptoms.

Worked for a while but then skin got worse than before!
Reviewed on July 22, 2016

I took Doxycycline for about 13 month and though the progress was slow, my skin began to make some improvement after i'd been taking it for around 3 months. My skin wasn't perfect, I still got spots and it wasn't good enough that i would feel confident leaving the house without wearing makeup, but i figured it would get better. however after about 8 months my skin started slowly getting worse again, and by 11/12 months i was in tears on a daily basis about how bad my skin was (HUGE eruptions of cystic acne all over my face and back) and how much it hurt to touch. This leads me to think that perhaps a lot of the antibiotics encouraging effects may have been in fact down to the weather (my skin starting getting worse as the seasons changed and it got colder.) It may help some people but since coming off these and switching my birth control methods to co-cyprindiol (dinette) pill from the implant my skin is looking better than ever.

by cloudydreamer on 09/26/2016 01:31
Sounds like you developed resistance to the antibiotic. It happens to almost everyone at some point. Glad to hear your skin is better now.
calmed my skin but didn't cure it.
Reviewed on July 7, 2016

I have taken doxy for a year now, it did improve the first couple of months, settled my skin but never completely cleared it and i got bad hormonal break outs on my cheeks, jaw line and chin. I combined it with the Epiduo cream which was ok but i feel the retinA cream from iherb tropical cream worked far better along with a fragrance free sensitive skin facial wash the cetaphil is a good brand. I tried dermal rolling and that was ok also but only helped temporarily same with laser treatment. I'm currently on the pill and I'm having good results so far as it is stabling my hormones i feel... but i think in the end I'm going to have to try accutane unfortunately and i wish i had gone on it sooner because everything else seems to be failing and not permanent results like what i hear about accutane.

Hope this helps.

so in my opinion doxy didn't make it worse, it just settles it and makes it not as bad as what it would have been.

I'm 21 years old and had acne since i was 18 it also runs in my family. big cystic acne :(

Didn't work too well
Reviewed on June 30, 2016

Unfortunately, doxy didn't work too well for me. I was using Dan's BP nightly before I went on doxy (had been on BP for about a year), and still had about 5-10 painful pustules on my face at any given time. I wanted to have something fighting the bacteria from the inside, so my GP put me on 100mg doxy / day. It took a while to notice any kind of difference, but about a month and a half later I noticed that I would only get 1-2 pustules on my face at any given time (along with some small comedonal stuff). I got excited that it was finally working, and for about a month I didn't worry about my face too much.

Unfortunately, about 4 months after I started, my acne came back worse. My whole face started breaking out - not in cysts, fortunately, but in small, raised ones with white heads. I had about 30 of them towards the tail end of my doxy treatment. I also developed eczema / dermatitis around my T-zone, near my temples and under my chin. I realized that the doxy was doing more harm than good at this point, so I quit cold turkey. My eczema disappeared within a couple days, and most of my acne was gone within a week. I went back to having 5-10 pustules on my face, but it was better than where doxy got me.

Basically, like with all antibiotics - this really is not a long-term fix.

Saved my skin, saved my confidence.
Reviewed on June 26, 2016

Short summary: Doxycycline saved my skin. No more cysts since starting it.

Skin type: Oily t-zone and chin, rest of face is normal.

Products in daily routine since starting Doxycycline : Nature Republic Aloe Vera Gel Cleanser OR Mediheal Pore Clean Charcoal Cleansing Foam. Tony Moly Pure Eco Snail Moisture Gel.

Some backstory: My acne wasn't SEVERE, but it was pretty darn bad. I had cystic acne, since the age of around 14. I am now almost 18. It used to be that I would only get 1-3 cysts around my period (usually on the chin, or jawline) which I was told is "normal" for women. Though they were painful, deep and left significant scarring, I did very little to treat it - I thought I would just grow out of it, like every other teenager. Toward the end of last year (2015) it was getting much worse. I noticed that none of the other girls my age at school had these "normal" cysts around their periods. I enjoy doing my makeup so covering them up became routine - but I began to feel upset and insecure because I couldn't do normal things like go to the beach or go swimming with my friends because of how insecure I felt due to these deep, painful cysts on my face.

Now let me tell you, I have tried every product accessible and affordable. Neutrogena, Clearasil, Cetaphil, pretty much the ENTIRE RANGE of Mario Badescu products aimed at treating and preventing acne. I have tried home remedies, I have tried COUNTLESS diet plans (as extreme as cutting out different foods completely to test whether the acne was result of dairy, meat or something like that). My hygiene was perfectly fine - I showered every day, changed my pillow cases every day, kept my hair out of my face, barely touched my face, etc. All the usual recommended things to prevent acne.

All this time and money wasted, and absolutely no result. In fact, towards the end of 2015 my acne was getting worse and worse. To the point where I'd have up to 10-15 cysts on my face and perhaps 8-10 cysts on my back and shoulders. It was painful. For a long time, I couldn't sleep on either side because I would wake up from the pain of my face (cysts) on my pillow. I'd have to sleep on my back so not to hurt my face, but then my back would hurt even worse, because of the cysts there too.

It was finally time that I put my foot down and did something about this. I was crying every morning, every night. I couldn't forsake my education, but I cried every single morning I had to wake up and put makeup on my face - not only because of how much it would HURT, but because of how insecure and horrible I felt about my own image. The doctor prescribed me doxycycline and Acne.org was where I read a combination of reviews about its results, on the way to pick up the prescription.

Result: Within the first week of taking doxycycline, though the cysts on my face were still there, they felt less painful to the touch - and no new ones had sprouted up yet. Though I read many people experience a period where it "gets worse before it gets better", I was lucky enough not to experience this. I can safely, genuinely and honestly say that since beginning doxcycline, I DID NOT GET ANY MORE /NEW/ CYSTS ON MY FACE.

My prescription: beginning with one 50mg tablet a day for a week, then two 50mg tablets a day for the rest of the course. I started at the beginning of March, it is now June and I can happily say that my face is CYST FREE. I have not a single cyst, or any sort of pimple, on my face. None. Literally none. Unfortunately, my back is still the same and I still get cysts on my back, but I think soon I'll begin to use a topical gel for that instead.

The only concern I now have with my face is scarring, which I'm slowly trying to find cures for. As I am still on doxycycline, I don't know if the acne is just going to come back after I go off it or not, but seeing as I'm now 18, I'm hoping that I'm at that point where I'm "supposed to" grow out of skin problems.

All in all, doxycycline ERADICATED my cystic acne and I can run my hands over my face without feeling a single bump. With this, I regained my confidence and now, putting on makeup is fun again, rather than a painful and upsetting task.

by Portiahalo on 08/17/2016 01:54
Hi there! I'll start taking these soon. I hope they work! It seems as if you and I have the same skin type. And I did the same things as you. I even had a silk pillow case. Anyways! As for your acne scars, have you considered derma rolling? Make sure you only use it on acne scars though. Do you have somewhere that I can contact you? I'd like to know more about how the pill worked for you. :)
Horrible Allergic Reaction
Reviewed on June 16, 2016

I began to use Doxy for about two months along with RetinA with no reaction. The Doxycycline did not seem to be affecting my skin as much as the retinol and my dermatologist suggested I go off the Doxy and switch to just RetinA, no oral medication. After my acne seemed to not be improving she advised me to go back on. After about a week I began to become extremely allergic to the sun despite applying sunscreen constantly throughout the day. I developed horrible hives that blistered all along my right hand and arm as well as a little on my left. They were itchy and burned, making it very difficult to concentrate in school. In addition, my face became very red and irritated. This along with my hand took weeks and weeks to finally heal up. Doxy did not work for me, and during my second round with Doxycycline, my acne was not improving.

Doxy Saved My Life Guys
Reviewed on May 30, 2016

I would just like to say thank you to Doxy for saving my life. I have extreme depression and anxiety, and that was only made worse by my acne which covered almost all of my face and was spreading fast. I tried every over-the-counter medication, every face wash and even attempted laser therapy. I almost took Accutane, but heard the terrible stories online about how bad the side effects were and more.

Even my doctor tried to convince me to take Accutane, but I'm here to say if you have horrible red blotchy acne that is very congested, please try Doxycycline. It took 3-4 months, and when I look in the mirror now I actually kind of want to cry because of how much it helped.

Doxy + Spectro Blemish Cleanser & Moisturizer saved my life.