Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.4/5 - 1248 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Product Pictured:
100mg of Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic

Worked for my hormonal acne
Reviewed on January 16, 2017

When I turned 21 I started getting severe cystic acne around my jaw and on my cheeks. I tried creams, gels, herbal stuff and 'acne' products that aren't actually for people with acne. I eventually got so sick of feeling bad about my skin, I went to see a doctor and was prescribed doxycycline for 3 months. I was so skeptical because I read a few bad reviews and I just gave up all hope of anything working but 5 months later I have much better skin. I read that apparently it makes your skin worse before it gets better but that never happened for me and they started working noticably after about 2 weeks. I still get one cystic acne lump every so often but it's nothing compared to how bad my skin used to be, my scars are fading and my skin looks less red, I'm so pleased with the results. However towards the end of the 3 month period I started to get quite bad nausea to the point where I was throwing up every other day so I started taking them on a full stomach with water and that stopped the nausea completely. Do NOT lye down after taking!!!

Another dead end...no help
Reviewed on January 7, 2017

I'm 19 year old and been struggling with mild persistent acne and very oily skin since I was 13. I was on Limecycline for over a year and that helped a couple of years ago however it didnt last. Recently with going to University my skin has become the worst it has ever been and I am sick to death of feeling so insecure about my face, I hate having to constantly cover my skin with makeup to be able to go outside the house. My dermatologist has given me this before making the decision to go on accutane (which I am waiting to go on now FINALLY) - it has been a little over three months and it has barely helped at all, infact my skin just continues to get worse :( it honestly is so depressing. The first month on this made my skin terrible, it has slightly improved since then but I cant see this as a long term fix at all. It's time to get this acne and confidence battle over with and i pray accutane will be my cure :). Perhaps if your acne is very moderate and tolerable this may help, however not for more severe cases.

not working, yet
Reviewed on January 4, 2017

I've been on it for about 2months, I don't know if it's psychic but I don't think this is working for my inflammatory acne. if anything, it only made my acne break out the week 2 and 3 of taking it. Thanks to it I have lots more scars to get rid of. My Dr said as there are non-real improvements by now, I will have to take it for more than 3 months. Maybe it gets worse before it gets better. will update later!

Cleared my skin (for a couple of months)
Reviewed on January 2, 2017

Cleared my skin completely.. to the point I had baby skin again.. unfortunately just like with any antibiotic, acne comes back after you stop taking it

be patient and it will work
Reviewed on December 31, 2016

Hello everyone, I'm 13 yrs old so if you are not a teenager then you probably have a different skin type to me but i'm also middle eastern ( Kurdish to be precise.) I was previously on a acne drug called tetralysal and it didn't really do the magic on my skin, so I went back to my local doctor and she prescribed me tetracycline/doxycycline 1 tablet a day, at the start,the drug didn't really kick it and i had a few yellow breakout that left a scar but as i reached the end of the month my skin hadn't had a major breakout for about 2 weeks and with daily washing my face is much more clearer and my mum has noticed a difference in my skin but unfortunately i have acne scars,there not major but there is some red scars which really does bother me. I would recommend this if your acne isn't as severe but if you have really bad acne then go on accutane. Lot of people say do not drink or eat dairy products as they do your skin hell, but i've been enjoying full fat milk and lots of chocolate and it has not made a difference to my skin at all so is probably all a myth. please do not use heavy facial scrubs on your face EVERYDAY as it will leave your skin feeling rough and not smooth, it will also scrub off a layer of skin which is vital to preventing acne , so make sure you gently scrub your face and only scrub once a month in the t-zone,chin and nose.DO NOT SCRUB EVERYDAY. also does anyone know what to do about my scarring? will it go because im 13 and im still growing?

Many thanks

naz

btw doxy will not work in a month it will take time

1.5 months in...no real improvement
Reviewed on December 8, 2016

I have been on doxy for 46 days. I have a mixture of inflammatory and non inflammatory acne and face has not improved at all. If anything I seem to be getting a lot more pustules on my face than I did before taking it. Regarding back and chest, every other day I wake up and it looks the smallest bit better and then the next day it looks a lot worse (red bumps) and this continues. It could be the creams and washes I am using clears up the redness and makes it look a bit better on the 'little bit better days'. So far I will give it 2 stars just because my chest looks the best it has in a year on the 'little bit better days' (although it is still pretty severe on these days, but better). But overall my skin hasn't improved yet and is in someways getting worse. I am hoping that at 3 months this will have changed and I will keep at it and update either way. If not the only pill I haven't tried is accutane!

No results yet
Reviewed on October 27, 2016

I have been on this a month and saw no results so far. My dermatologist has me on it for two months so I'll see what I happens.

Worked, and then relapse after a year
Reviewed on October 16, 2016

I took this for about 6 months after a severe cystic outbreak (this outbreak was a relapse after accutane). Definitely cleared up my skin like a miracle, results were almost instantaneous that even my doctor was surprised. No purge, all inflammation just went down and my face was smooth. I could see my skin and the contours of my face again. (NOTE: I simultaneously eliminated dairy and sugar, and took probiotics after the antibiotics gave me a yeast infection).

Here I am, about a year after completing the 6-month course, with a relapse of cystic acne. Not as severe as before doxycycline, but still pretty bad. Even though it worked at that time, I'm never taking antibiotics again, just because I felt like I was poisoning my insides for 6 months. And seems to be a temporary solution for me because here we go again with another bout of breakouts.

by rosagnzlz on 10/25/2016 20:07
try curology https://[link removed]
Not for me, but maybe worth a shot
Reviewed on August 19, 2016

I was prescribed this after I had a very bad experience with Minocycline (headaches, and possibly pseudotumor cerebri).

I got headaches right off. I tried it for a couple of days, but it still was giving me head pain. I don't know if I'm just not meant to take antibiotics (I've heard doxycycline is related to minocycline) or what, but after what happened with the minocycline I wasn't willing to risk staying on a whole week.

It didn't work for me, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't work for you.

by AmandaSanto on 08/22/2016 16:32
Did you find anything that worked for you? I have peri oral dermatitis and I have to take either minocycline or doxycycline...... I CANNOT tolerate Minocycline and Doxycycline is tolerable but I feel so strange on ti and I don't like it.
Worked immediately where expensive topicals didn't
Reviewed on August 19, 2016

I have always had acne problems and a few years ago (age 30) it got insanely out of control all over the sides of my face. Tried everything over the counter. No effect. Dermatoligist sold me 2 very expensive topicals that had zero effect. After all that finally, this super cheap antibiotic was prescribed. I think I was supposed to take it for 2 weeks. I had to stop somewhere around 1 week because of a side effect that made my eyes get swollen at night. Even stopping early cleared up my acne from severe all over to light around my jaw/neck. Since then I rarely use soap on my face. I tone with witch hazel, put tea tree oil on my acne spots and only lotion on occasion. I have kept it under control this way for about 3 years now.

Also interesting is that about 2 years ago I started taking a low dose ssri. It clears up my acne even more. I believe this is truly chemical vs. Mentally induced. After stopping the ssri the acne quickly starts popping up around my jaw despite no return of depression symptoms.