Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.5/5 - 1221 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Product Pictured:
100mg of Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic

Where to buy is not associated with this product. All proceeds from links go to charity.

Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic

The worst decision of my life
Reviewed on November 24, 2015

My doctor gave me this without giving me any warnings of any consequences, even though I asked.

First few months it was great, my skin was perfectly clear. I thought it was great. Then I started becoming severely depressed. I started having suicidal thoughts and couldn't concentrate on anything. Acne appeared all over my back and a bit on my chest too, which I had never had before. It had only been on my face. As soon as I stopped taking them I felt complete mental relief and after a few weeks I felt normal and happy but I was extremely unhappy because of the acne on my back and chest. It has been around six months since I stopped the antibiotics and I am still getting some acne on my back and I get it on my face to. It's going to take a long time for the acne to stop and for my skin to fix the scarring :(

Not a cure... just covers the problem.
Reviewed on November 12, 2015

Unfortunately.. .They kept me on this for YEARS! (high school) as soon as I stopped or if I didnt have it on hand my face would EXPLODE.

Wasnt curing anything was only covering up the problem.

Keep in mind these are also meds that are typically given to people to treat respitory infections. I wasn't sick..., I had acne! Later i learned my acne was triggered by food intolerance's. FOOD! Simple as that...

I still resent not being more aware when i was younger and that the Doctors were as sh*tty as they were.

Thankfully I still have my liver!

Best Acne Treatment
Reviewed on October 18, 2015

I haven't had good skin for 6 months. Until now. At the start i ordered the regimen (biggest of everything. Cleanser, moisturiser, Benzoyl Peroxide, AHA, Organic jojoba oil.) My skin just got more dry and irritated. But kept with it. After 2 months and no success, i decided to go see my family doctor. But this place got a new guy doctor that i haven't been seeing before. By the way im 14 years old and a guy. So i went and he was asking me why i want acne treatment and wanted to refer me to a counselor. He was more like forcing me. He didn't give me an option. Anyway, he told me to come back next time and book an appointment. My mum didn't book an appointment and i didn't go. So sick of doctors refering patients (i think i know why because im a teenager going through puberty and that's expected to get acne) to go get there brain fixed instead of actually fixing there acne. It's like the doctor is just saying to me deal with it. Anyway, failing to get get professional help, i tired all i could from over-the-counter product's to home remedies, which made my skin even worse. I took absent days off school ashamed of my acne, it was terrible. I finally went to a different doctor that prescribed me 50mg doxycycline twice a day. He also refered me to go see a dermatolologist. After the first day i could see pimples becoming less inflamed. The next day those couple pimples were nearly completely gone. My skin was flaking and drying out. So i also use a pea size amount of AHA 10% with a pump of moisturiser and that helps alot. I also cleanse like normal with the cleanser. I am finally seeing improvement for the first time in 6 months.

Works better than other antibiotics
Reviewed on August 8, 2015

I am taking 50 mg a day for more than three weeks now and what I noticed is it reduced the frequency of having breakouts.In these 3 weeks I only had three pustules whereas I used to get atleast two every week.Dunno if it's gonna clear me,but still hoping for the best.

P.S-Never go for azithromycin.It may do more harm than good.

by Naimur97 on 09/18/2015 16:26
it's a 10 week update and my acne seemed to have reach a plateau.When I started it I didn't breakout for three weeks together.But from the 7th week, I started to get at least 3 pimples every week. My doctor still kept me on it(another 2 months maybe) and asked me to have belief and hope.
Waste of time
Reviewed on August 5, 2015

Creates imbalance in the body, kills all the good bacteria you need to be fighting off you acne, and doesn't do anything. I took this for months and stopped taking it. It didn't do anything when I started or stopped. I take vitamin A supplements, much more effective and better for you.

Reviewed on July 25, 2015

Can doxycycline cause importance I've been taking it for 4 days and in the 4th day found I'm having problems with getting a erection

Works but not a long-term solution...
Reviewed on July 25, 2015

Doxy does work, however being that it is an antibiotic it is not a viable solution for long-term management of acne. It will likely cause nausea, and it makes you very sensitive to sunlight, so it's important to cover up and wear sunscreen when using this product. Make sure you take probiotics or consume some form of yogurt-type product while on any antibiotic because it will deplete the beneficial flora in your gut, making you more susceptible to malabsorption and fungal infections. I only recommend using as a stepping stone to get to Accutane, as insurance companies like to see you've exhausted all other options first. It is important to realize that no antibiotic will cure you of your acne. The effects only last while using the product, and occasionally, the effects may wear off over time as the acne-causing bacteria in your skin becomes resistant to the drug.

Great! but not a longterm solution...
Reviewed on July 17, 2015

In grade 12 I started to get acne all along my jawline and chin. I went on Clinique's acne solution, and my skin became 10x worse from all the harsh chemicals. A year after trying different products, my doctor prescribed me doxycycline. After one month i noticed a difference, and was put on it it for another 3 months. My acne totally cleared up! however, a year after being acne free, my acne has come back and i've been put on doxycycline again. While i love what this is doing for my skin, I don't think its a long term solution. Being an antibiotic, it clears out ALL bacteria in your body making an individual much more susceptible for other infections (especially vag). It has been clinically recommended that a person should not be on and member of the 'cycline' family for more than 3 months. So while it can work wonders- its not a longterm solution unfortunately.

Great product overall
Reviewed on July 16, 2015

I have had acne my whole life but it didn't get that bad until last summer when I broke out horribly along my cheeks and my forehead. It was so embarrassing that I didn't want to leave my house. I went to my dermatologist and she prescribed to me doxycycline. I was on it the whole summer and it worked wonders on my skin. It helped reduce the size of my pimples and cleared up the ones I had. Apart from that I still have scaring but my dermatologist took me off of it a couple months ago because she told me that this form of treatment is not recommend to take over a long period of time because your kidneys suffer.

I am back on it again and what usually happens is that I'm on it for a month or two and then I stop for a month and return back to it

The month that I take a break from the medication I have occasional breakouts but not as bad as before

Works best for mild-moderate acne
Reviewed on June 24, 2015

I was prescribed Doxy after Minocycline stopped working for me, 100mg/day. My doctor explained that Doxy was one of the stronger drugs of the cycline family (but if that failed, I'd be put on Accutane). I took it for 5 months, and during the time frame of 2.5-3.5 months, was when I had extremely clear skin. I took it mainly for very persistence superficial acne and cystic acne. There was no difference the first month, but definitely the third month was the best. I couldn't take it on an empty stomach since I would get nauseous and I would throw up, so I took it roughly 1.5-2 hours after a meal to avoid it. Other than that, I did not have any other severe side effects. Unfortunately, during the fourth month, my acne came back in full swing.

I wouldn't recommend taking antibiotics, because your body will become immune to it, especially for the level of acne I had, which was moderate-severe. Doxy might work best for mild acne, or even moderate acne.