Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.5/5 - 1235 reviews

Brand: Doxycycline

Doxycycline Product Pictured:
100mg of Doxycycline Hyclate.

Lactose monohydrate; microcrystalline cellulose; sodium lauryl sulfate; sodium chloride; talc; anhydrous lactose; corn starch; crospovidone; magnesium stearate; cellulosic polymer coating.

Doxycycline Oral Antibiotic

Saved my skin, saved my confidence.
Reviewed on June 26, 2016

Short summary: Doxycycline saved my skin. No more cysts since starting it.

Skin type: Oily t-zone and chin, rest of face is normal.

Products in daily routine since starting Doxycycline : Nature Republic Aloe Vera Gel Cleanser OR Mediheal Pore Clean Charcoal Cleansing Foam. Tony Moly Pure Eco Snail Moisture Gel.

Some backstory: My acne wasn't SEVERE, but it was pretty darn bad. I had cystic acne, since the age of around 14. I am now almost 18. It used to be that I would only get 1-3 cysts around my period (usually on the chin, or jawline) which I was told is "normal" for women. Though they were painful, deep and left significant scarring, I did very little to treat it - I thought I would just grow out of it, like every other teenager. Toward the end of last year (2015) it was getting much worse. I noticed that none of the other girls my age at school had these "normal" cysts around their periods. I enjoy doing my makeup so covering them up became routine - but I began to feel upset and insecure because I couldn't do normal things like go to the beach or go swimming with my friends because of how insecure I felt due to these deep, painful cysts on my face.

Now let me tell you, I have tried every product accessible and affordable. Neutrogena, Clearasil, Cetaphil, pretty much the ENTIRE RANGE of Mario Badescu products aimed at treating and preventing acne. I have tried home remedies, I have tried COUNTLESS diet plans (as extreme as cutting out different foods completely to test whether the acne was result of dairy, meat or something like that). My hygiene was perfectly fine - I showered every day, changed my pillow cases every day, kept my hair out of my face, barely touched my face, etc. All the usual recommended things to prevent acne.

All this time and money wasted, and absolutely no result. In fact, towards the end of 2015 my acne was getting worse and worse. To the point where I'd have up to 10-15 cysts on my face and perhaps 8-10 cysts on my back and shoulders. It was painful. For a long time, I couldn't sleep on either side because I would wake up from the pain of my face (cysts) on my pillow. I'd have to sleep on my back so not to hurt my face, but then my back would hurt even worse, because of the cysts there too.

It was finally time that I put my foot down and did something about this. I was crying every morning, every night. I couldn't forsake my education, but I cried every single morning I had to wake up and put makeup on my face - not only because of how much it would HURT, but because of how insecure and horrible I felt about my own image. The doctor prescribed me doxycycline and Acne.org was where I read a combination of reviews about its results, on the way to pick up the prescription.

Result: Within the first week of taking doxycycline, though the cysts on my face were still there, they felt less painful to the touch - and no new ones had sprouted up yet. Though I read many people experience a period where it "gets worse before it gets better", I was lucky enough not to experience this. I can safely, genuinely and honestly say that since beginning doxcycline, I DID NOT GET ANY MORE /NEW/ CYSTS ON MY FACE.

My prescription: beginning with one 50mg tablet a day for a week, then two 50mg tablets a day for the rest of the course. I started at the beginning of March, it is now June and I can happily say that my face is CYST FREE. I have not a single cyst, or any sort of pimple, on my face. None. Literally none. Unfortunately, my back is still the same and I still get cysts on my back, but I think soon I'll begin to use a topical gel for that instead.

The only concern I now have with my face is scarring, which I'm slowly trying to find cures for. As I am still on doxycycline, I don't know if the acne is just going to come back after I go off it or not, but seeing as I'm now 18, I'm hoping that I'm at that point where I'm "supposed to" grow out of skin problems.

All in all, doxycycline ERADICATED my cystic acne and I can run my hands over my face without feeling a single bump. With this, I regained my confidence and now, putting on makeup is fun again, rather than a painful and upsetting task.

Horrible Allergic Reaction
Reviewed on June 16, 2016

I began to use Doxy for about two months along with RetinA with no reaction. The Doxycycline did not seem to be affecting my skin as much as the retinol and my dermatologist suggested I go off the Doxy and switch to just RetinA, no oral medication. After my acne seemed to not be improving she advised me to go back on. After about a week I began to become extremely allergic to the sun despite applying sunscreen constantly throughout the day. I developed horrible hives that blistered all along my right hand and arm as well as a little on my left. They were itchy and burned, making it very difficult to concentrate in school. In addition, my face became very red and irritated. This along with my hand took weeks and weeks to finally heal up. Doxy did not work for me, and during my second round with Doxycycline, my acne was not improving.

Doxy Saved My Life Guys
Reviewed on May 30, 2016

I would just like to say thank you to Doxy for saving my life. I have extreme depression and anxiety, and that was only made worse by my acne which covered almost all of my face and was spreading fast. I tried every over-the-counter medication, every face wash and even attempted laser therapy. I almost took Accutane, but heard the terrible stories online about how bad the side effects were and more.

Even my doctor tried to convince me to take Accutane, but I'm here to say if you have horrible red blotchy acne that is very congested, please try Doxycycline. It took 3-4 months, and when I look in the mirror now I actually kind of want to cry because of how much it helped.

Doxy + Spectro Blemish Cleanser & Moisturizer saved my life.

Not to exaggerate, but it's miracle. For me.
Reviewed on May 19, 2016

I've been suffering from acne ever since I hit 12; which has been 10 years from since. I've tried so many things from topical creams to all sorts of drugstore treatments like anti-acne cleansers, gels, essential oils or exfoliating treatments which none has ever worked out for me. I've also changed my pillow cases more frequently and tried to drink green juices but they did very little and I still get red, bumpy and sometimes painful acne on random places (very less on the forehead).

I also suffered from "textures" (I'm not sure how to call it) which are bumps appearing throughout my face and my body (chest and back). I tried to exfoliate these bumps almost on a daily basis, using chemical exfoliants or other physical methods like (Japan - Cure gel, Body Shop's exfoliating shower gloves for my body, St. Ives exfoliating scrub cleanser) but they seemed to only work temporarily and then come back even faster and did nothing to my condition.

So, my friend one day took me to a dermatologist for a free consultation, and I was skeptical of it as I've tried so many things that I've already given up and submitted myself to concealers and facial powders to cover up my destroyed skin. So I listened to the dermatologist and many of the things she mentioned I've already read online. Close to the end of the consultation she prescribed quite a number of products from their clinic and the antibiotics which is Doxycycline. All the products were too expensive for a poor student like me to afford and I already have my own skin care products so I did not purchase them. I went for the antibiotics which I have been taking for almost a month already since 23rd of April.

So, during the first two weeks there weren't any significant changes to my acne condition. And closing to the third week I noticed my acne got better, I thought it was the "Exfolikate" Kate Somerville product sample I used that made my face better. But it wasn't, it was the doxy. I know for sure because the textures that have been haunting for me years, are slowly dying down. My back feels smoother, and every time I cleanse my face, it feels smoother and the textures were disappearing, I didn't even need my St. Ives scrubbing cleanser at all.

I've returned to my home town and my mother said my face got so much better than before. I felt better too, although I still have a lot of discolored marks from the acne before, I am truly grateful for my almost clear skin. I no longer suffer from painful acne and textures. However, this is just a short-term quick take from taking the Doxycycline (100mg). I am planning to take this for about 6 months to ensure they don't come back. It costs me about USD 20 (MYR 80 in Malaysia) per 1 month dosage but it's so worth it. I usually spend over USD 30-40 a month to try out other products. Literally, miracle in a pill. Thank god (and science) for these pills.

I'm now on my journey to clear these discolored marks (scars) and also finding solutions for my oily and huge pored face. Acne was my main problem and insecurity though! At least I didn't have to wear a lot of make up on my face already. (I'm a guy by the way, so I really felt girly whenever I put that much concealer on my face).

cautiously optimistic
Reviewed on May 11, 2016

I have acne-prone, extremely oily skin, with scarring / hyperpigmentation (I'm Asian, and I've read that we're more prone to hyperpigmentation, so yay for that?). I've suffered from moderate but near-constant acne in the form of cysts and whiteheads on my forehead for over 6 years (I'm 17, by the way). My doctor prescribed to me 100mg doxycycline (to be used with 5% benzoyl peroxide) and before I started taking it I researched it, of course, and psyched myself out from all the reviews on here about all the negative side effects like even more breakouts, stomachaches, etc. However, I've been taking it for a little while now and experienced none of these things, and my skin has slowly started to clear up, although I would say I'm only about 75-80% sure (so pretty sure, but not completely certain) that it's due to the medication. If you're also starting doxycycline and worried about side effects, consider the following:

Doxycycline, like any other antibiotic prescribed to fight acne, is NOT a permanent solution. My doctor's current plan is to keep me on it for 3 months and check up on the progress of my skin.

Antibiotics will kill all bacteria, so make sure to take probiotics or eat yogurt with probiotics in conjunction. I take 1-2 probiotics a day and have had no negative side effects.

Also, remember basic biology: bacteria can and will develop resistance to antibiotics gradually, so make sure you're not skipping doses or taking them irregularly.

Doxycycline can cause severe stomach pains if you take it on an empty stomach. Instead, take it after a meal (I take mine after lunch) and with a big glass of water.

Just made my folliculitis so much worse
Reviewed on April 26, 2016

I have been taking it for about 3 weeks and my folliculitis is so much worse. Is it a case of it getting worse before it gets better. Help... please comment I need to know if it's worth continuing

by Peterkever5 on 04/28/2016 23:14
Don't stop so fast. It needs a few more weeks, maybe. Go ahead and use it. If it's not better after a few months from now, you can try another treatment.
by anonymous11 on 05/23/2016 08:57
I have been using it for about 6 weeks now.. still had a few breakouts, lots of small red ones but not so inflamed. my pharmacist said it can take 2-3 months to clear it up, is this true?
Miracle for me
Reviewed on April 18, 2016

About a year ago I started getting a horrible acne break out on my lower jawline and neck area. Nothing I could do was getting rid of it and I tried every name brand on the market. It was sore, inflamed, rash like, and made me want to hide my face in a bag. I have extremely extremely oily skin like every 2-4 hours I can wipe my face with a napkin and see through it kind of oily and I went though puberty early so I have always had some minor-moderate acne for most my life I am used to it. This was an entirely new thing it was horrible, painful, and both physically and mentally scarring to have people stop you an ask what is wrong with your face. I finally went to see my dermatologist and I almost cried in relief when he told me it was a hormonal issue rather than anything I was doing that caused my problem I went on doxy-cycline and a gel for about 6 months and it cleared up my issue like a dream come true. I am now off it for about 4-6 months and I stil have minor acne that I combat with witch hazel and tea tree oil but that is normal and When treated it heals and goes away and I'll take it over a rashy, painful, never ending acne attack any day. The scarring on my jawline is healing up nicely and the red blotchiness that had taken over my lower jaw has a year later almost gone away completely. I wish I could post before and after pictures just to show you how much it helped. While it might not help everyone it was litterally a blessing for me. I didn't have any negative side effects or issues with with it however side note the duac-gel they normally give you to apply topically along with the pill should be used ONCE a day to start out with like the Dr. prescribes do not be me and apply it liberally multiple times a day and think it will help more all you will do is dry the ever loving heck out of your skin and cause pain and massive flakiness take it from me. Also see a dermatologist sooner rather than later I can't help but think if I had gone sooner then I would have healed quicker and would had had less scarring that can only be healed by time.

Jaundice and hypoglycemia
Reviewed on April 3, 2016

I wouldn't believe this could happen but it did! My fifteen year old son has been under the care of a very conservative dermatologist for six months. We started with Epiduo which was completely ineffective. We then moved on to two topicals and doxycycline. The topicals didn't seem to be doing much after three weeks so I filled the doxy prescription. Within a few days my sons complexion looked 50% better, and after a month his face was nearly completely clear. Yes, initially he had some stomach upset, but took it the morning with scrambled eggs and a large glass of juice and had no trouble.

Leap forward three months: he's yellow tinged and sleeping all the time and his grades have dropped. Not suspecting the antibiotic, I took him to the pediatrician who ordered lab work. His glucose ( after lunch, no less) was 54 and his bilirubin count was high, explaining his sallow coloring. Common illnesses were ruled out, such as mono, thyroid,etc. After reading exhaustively about doxy, his only medication, I discovered that it is likely the cause of his symptoms. We stopped the medication and go for repeat blood work later this week. Fingers crossed that the liver problems are reversible.

As with any medication be vigilant when something seems "off".

better oil control
Reviewed on April 2, 2016

My derm prescribed this for me and it did help a lot to control my oily skin. However, I still got cystic acne bumps with this product, and that was a bummer. I then tried minocycline, but discontinued its use after four weeks. I started getting some side effects that I knew had to be from it, so I switched back. It wasn't worth it to me.

Works well but acne may possibly come back
Reviewed on March 26, 2016

I first took Doxycyline 100mg tablets once daily around 5 years ago (at age 16) and it worked really well. At that time I had teenage acne, not enough to scar deeply but I had more acne than the usual teen. It covered my whole forehead and started to grow on my cheeks as well. I was prescribed to use Cetaphil as a cleanser, Doxy as an oral treatment and Epiduo as a topical treatment. If I remember correctly, my acne became worse before getting better and my face was cleared up entirely by the 2nd-3rd month, so I continued the regimen for another 3-5 months. I didn't get any stomach pains or problems when taking Doxy and also didn't get any acne scarring. After about 8-12 months of taking Doxy and using Epiduo, I decided to stop the regimen because my face had already been clear for several months and I didn't want my body to depend on the medication so much. 5 years passed and my face remained clear, I did have a few pimples from time to time and the usual period pimples, but it wasn't bad at all. It was great having clear skin!

Unfortunately, 6 months ago I suddenly started getting constant breakouts on my chin area, this time they were cystic and much more painful than before (adult acne, I'd say). I thought it was because of stress but then it started to move onto my forehead and then onto my cheeks. I had to get it fixed so I decided to go back on Doxy and Epiduo, but it did little help for the 2 months I was on it. It definitely didn't improve my acne but it didn't worsen them either. Because my acne was still persistent, my dermatologist prescribed me to take a stronger antibiotic (which didn't work and gave me bad abdominal pains instead) since I didn't want to consider Roaccutane.

Just something to note also is that the Doxy might have made my acne stronger and more persistent the second time around. From what I understand, antibiotics hold back/hide acne but does not actually get rid of them, they are known to possibly make acne stronger and resistant, and are also quite harmful on the body.. so just my two cents, it wouldn't hurt to think twice if you are considering to take antibiotics to treat acne. As of now, I've decided to steer away from oral medications/antibiotics and instead using more topical and natural, organic regimens which so far, has actually really helped with healing my acne. Anyways, I hope this review will be helpful to someone, and good luck!