Page 5 of Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1264 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Patience pays off
Reviewed on January 19, 2014

I'm 16. I've always had clear skin until this past summer. I started breaking out on my forehead with little bumps and the occasional big red cystic blemish. It was incredibly frustrating because I was keeping my skin clean, eating right, and taking care of myself, yet I had all this acne. I went to the dermatologis and they prescribed Differin in October. I used it for 3 months and saw almost no difference. It was extremely discouraging. But I kept going. It is now January 19th and I have a completely clear complexion and I could not be happier with my results. I currently use Clinique foaming cleanser, my clarisonic, and Clinique dramatically different moisturizer. I cannot stress enough that you need to KEEP USING THIS PRODUCT FOR IT TO WORK! Stick with it and you will feel amazing soon! I know how hard it is to suffer from acne :( keep your head up everyone, it's not forever, and you are beautiful with or without your acne. You're not alone.

by Ffyustfdsuhxdtj on 02/18/2014 23:13
Stop using a claro sonic they give a lot of irritation and consider washing your face in a gentle manner
by Ffyustfdsuhxdtj on 02/18/2014 23:14
Clarisonic*
by Pip98 on 07/31/2014 21:47
I have been using it for 6 weeks now.. Its only just started getting worse so is this the ib? I hope it starts getting better!
Ineffective
Reviewed on January 6, 2014

I have moderate-severe cystic acne on my cheeks, I used this product persistently for three and a half month, nothing really happened. Made my skin dry so I had to use a moisturizer, but the acne didn't go away. When I stopped using it and only used tap water instead, my acne didn't change at all, so it was a waste of money.

Did not do anything for my skin, but is very gentle
Reviewed on January 5, 2014

I have had mild to moderate acne for three years when I was prescribed Differin. After having applied it every evening for about 5 months, my acne has not disappered or decreased. But Differin also did not dry out my skin or made it burn, it basically had no effect on my skin at all.

I give it two stars because even though it was not strong enough for me, it was very gentle and my skin did not suffer from any side effects like peeling or burning. That's why I would still recommend trying it because IF it helps you, you probably won't have any problems with dryness etc. which makes it a good option to treat mild acne.

Good Product
Reviewed on January 5, 2014

Had acne since I was 12 , now im 15 , I used Differin for 8 months , no more acne , no more pimples on my face , I love it

The IB was worth it
Reviewed on December 19, 2013

I can't believe it... my skin is clear! I had what I would call a relatively minor to moderate acne problem, to the point where I was self-conscious about my acne and the hyperpigmentation it would leave behind after continuous breakouts. I felt I couldn't leave the house without makeup. Now my skin is clear, and as a bonus, more radiant and smooth in texture.

The initial breakout was extremely challenging and long. That explains the 4 out of 5 stars rating, though I think the IB is probably a given. My entire face broke out, and in places I didn't normally get pimples. It kind of went in phases-- first a bunch of blackheads on my forehead, then pimples on my chin, and next my cheeks. It took the longest for my chin and cheeks to clear up. But, by that time my forehead was already better. My skin was literally purging itself of emerging and future pimples all at once.

I didn't start to see results for about six months. It seems it took my skin longer to improve than most, after reading other reviews. However, once my skin began to improve, it did so very quickly, and then BAM! No more acne problem.

I have the confidence to leave the house without makeup for errands and such, though I will say that my makeup looks so much better on now that my skin is clear and smooth. Be patient, and don't be surprised if you cry or throw temper tantrums during the IB. The temporary IB is worth the end result.

worked wonders
Reviewed on December 15, 2013

I started this 6 months ago, along with minocycline. my initial breakout came about three weeks into the treatment and it was horrid. I had moderate acne, and it really messed with my self esteem. my skin started clearing about 3 months in and looks great. I still get 3-4 zits every month but they go away quickly and are mostly hormonal. this is my last month on minocycline but I am going to continue using adapalene for another 6 months.

Think before you use!
Reviewed on December 15, 2013

I have mild to moderate acne which is mostly on my cheeks. It started at about 12 and has been getting worse (I am now 17). I have been using this product for around three weeks. I think mine is 0.3%. This product cleared up most of my acne after a week and a half, however, it has made my skin hypersensitive. It feels like a constant intense sunburn. The skin peels off lots around my mouth and eyes and it doesn't seem to make a difference how often I exfoliate. This does make it hard to put make up on during the day. Using moisturizer is incredibly painful as my skin is so dry. The dry patches are constantly bright red. I am hesitant to stop using it though, as it keeps the acne away. I am using with antibiotics.

Past experience
Reviewed on December 12, 2013

What I remember most about this product is I had colored pillow cases and this product bleached them, not white but lightened the fabric quite a bit. Took me awhile to figure out the cause.

by MarieK on 01/05/2014 12:40
Is it possible that you confuse Differin with a BPO product? Because retinoids like Adapalene usually do not bleach, whereas pillow case bleaching is one of the most experienced side effects when using BPO during night.
Slowly but Surely
Reviewed on November 29, 2013

I really wanted to write a review because differin seems to have a bad rep. I am 21 and have had acne that has steadily been getting worse since I was 13. I decided to try differin because I was sick of treatments that worked for a few months - then acne returning worse than before. I had a LONG PURGING phase, I started in July and didn't really clear up until late October! (there were a weeks of improvement and HUGE breakouts along the way). A lot of retinoids recommend using them for SIX MONTHS before deciding whether or not they are working, so give it time. A lot of the negative reviews for differin are from people who quit around month 1 - 2 (the point where my acne was just getting worse still).. Obviously differin isn't for everyone but I really recommend sticking with it - especially if you are already at month 1 or 2 you may as well wait it out a few more months and see what happens.

Good luck to everyone!

Horrible Product
Reviewed on November 20, 2013

When I started using this product I was told that my acne would get worse over the first few weeks and then begin to improve. I used the product for a month and my skin continued to get worse, never better. I developed acne all over my face and nose. My nose also became dark red. I have been off of differin for about a month now all the while taking doxycycline. The doxycycline has improved some areas of my face, but my nose is still a dark red and breaks out in whiteheads every single morning. I fear the redness may not go away as it currently shows no signs of doing so. I do not recommend this product to anyone as I had a terrible experience with it.

by kdeger on 12/10/2013 03:22
From your statement, it seems like you only used it for a month. Is that true?