Page 3 of Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1266 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Hopeful!
Reviewed on July 9, 2014

I'm 15 and have had moderate acne for about 2 years. I eat extremely healthy, work out and have had a continual face routine for about a year using asap and organic spa.

Nothing really helped so i went to the doctor. She prescribed me Eryacne and Differin. This was about 3 weeks ago now and i have read a lot of reviews on here saying how people were already seeing results in 1 week etc...

I havent had an IB but i have had flaky skin for about the first week but thats died down now.

Only reason why i'm worried is that i hope i start to see a change (good or bad!!) so i know that is working in some way...

Has anybody else had this happen? I just want to know how long it takes to see any change? Some people say a week and some say a month? Is that right? My face hasnt really changed at all!

So if anyone could let me know if this happened to them if they didnt see much change for 1 month or so and then it did help or not?

But i'm staying postive:)

by hodge19 on 07/13/2014 22:10
hey , im in thr same boat as you here haha ive had acne from the age if 13-18 and five months ago I was put on roaccutane or known as accutane and waw it does help although im getting minor breakouts which im stressing about and im using diffirin gel o.1% and yeah I dont know if its working or not either hahah
by Natasha van de Zand on 07/14/2014 00:32
In my case it was worse for the first couple of weeks...if you don t see any change it s worth the try to keep using it..i ve seen improvement after 2 months and a half,3 months...i m on my 6 month now of using and it s getting better and better...old scarrs are fading,fewer and smaller breakouts...just needs time to work.
by Pip98 on 07/15/2014 11:25
Thanks for that, yeah 3 weeks in now i havent had any new pimples except for 2 underskin ones and one whitehead next to my mouth. I was so stupid and i picked one of the underskin pimples (i never learn) and it has a massive brown scab now. Ugh this has happened to me before the first time i ever had one under skin one and i tried to squeeze it and it made a brown scab and i did it again! It didnt go away for months! I have now given the differin and eryacne another problem to work on! Smart me! Anyway i can sorta feel my skin getting smoother and my forehead is pimple free besides little whiteheads and the scars and red marks and black heads but i am hoping they will all fade over the next couple of months... The doctor did say 6 months (which would be close to christmas which is my aim: no pimples xmas day) so i am feeling positive and excited to wait the 6 months out and see how we go :) I will keep you all updated aswelll as for my personal recordings haha thanks guys :)
by Pip98 on 07/15/2014 11:31
Also just checking the title says differing gel but mines a cream like not transparent or anything .... Is it the same thing or what? Haha
Does its job
Reviewed on June 26, 2014

I have already used Differin two years ago but stopped after one month of using, my skin was doing very well and I experienced no breakouts for a long long long time. at my sophomore year my skin got bad and nothing changed it, so for one year I have used over the counter products and even though there was a certain clearing up it was short term

my dermatologist put me on this and It's been two days since I'm using this and I can see a large change even though I have experienced some breakouts, it did dry out a lot of my pimples and got rid of some of my scars, in my case the breakouts cause by differin weren't long lasting or inflamed just little redheads I might experience more purging however... I wanna warn you guys DO NEVER NEVER WAX ANY PART OF YOUR FACE when you're on differin you will regret it, always put sunscreen otherwise you will be left with very dark and deep scars that you will spend a lot of time on to fade, wash your face with a gentle cleanser and moisturise more than once, I use the super hydrating cream by SOSKIN twice a day just use a moisturiser that you think is nourishing enough (: good luck with this guys, maybe it can heal your acne, what no over the counter product ever will if you have serious acne

Patience and Work
Reviewed on June 23, 2014

When started using this treatment, it would worsen the acne on skin, which caused some trouble eliminating them, but later on, it would start to fade and lessen the appearance of the scarrings. But you will really NEED to wait for it to work. However, considering the price and the time needed to work, it isn't that worth it...

Acne becomes terrible with Differin
Reviewed on June 12, 2014

To start of, i had a mild-moderate acne and been on harsh soaps before then I started Differin 0.1% and Benzac (Benzoyl Peroxide) 0.5% application to my acne and Doxycycline oral antibiotics on May 17 as prescribed by my Dermatologist together with Cetaphil gentle cleanser. Only to find out that this product makes my acne worse than ever. On my 3rd week, i had Staph infection on my acne, there are pus-filled acne coming out and this made me really depressed. I got frustrated because i thought this could help me but it worsens everything. Got tired of spending so much time and money on this. I've read other reviews that this could take too long before it gets better. Well, i think i dont see the point of prolonging your agony on spending time with this product where you only see a short-term benefit. I need to try other product perhaps it may help like Kojic acid soap.

Worked amazingly for me - but only for a few years
Reviewed on June 5, 2014

My dermatologist prescribed me Duac & Differin topical creams (Duac for the morning and Differin at night). I remember getting an initial breakout from these creams but it didn't last too long. Within a couple of months my skin had cleared beautifully - I was so confident, hardly wore make up and when I did, would only use concealer for some scars and powder to control shine. Honestly, Differin worked amazingly for me.

HOWEVER, after about 2 years of using this product, my skin slowly but surely started to come back. Over a year it got so much worse and I gave in and went back to the dermatologist who has now put me on Dianette. I still use Dianette now, because I'm too scared not to and have also read that it is an excellent anti-wrinkle cream, as well as an acne treatment.

So, to sum up - Differin cleared me 99.9% (as well as Duac), but unfortunately was only temporary. Everybody's skin is different though, so it may clear YOU forever.

Skin do dry
Reviewed on June 4, 2014

I am new to using this product (only about a week) and I know there are side effects like acne getting worse and redness and I am ok with being patient, but is there anything you can recommend for the burning of dry skin?

It gets worse when I work out and sweat.

I've been using Aveeno to moisturize at night and a bioderm spf lotion in the day

Please suggest a product I can get in Canada

Thanks

by MK8 on 06/24/2014 08:42
Dermatologist recommended using CeraVe moisturizer first. It's a wonderful product you can find a your local drugstore.
by Natasha van de Zand on 07/14/2014 00:25
Use differin only in the evening, after all your activities and after you ve washed and cleaned well your face. You can appky it before going to bed, but don forget to apply the moisturizer after 15-20 de minutes after differin and then you are set.
by ctiffin on 07/25/2014 14:47
Hey! I have recently (about a month and a half ago) out on Differin. It dried my skin out so much, that touching it would make me cry out in pain! I went to Pure + Simple here in Toronto to get some natural moisturizing products - since using I no longer have dry, peel, painful skin! At night I wash my face with: Neutorgena Body Clear body wash - seems to work for me Apply the Differin Cream Rub on Pure + Simple Hydrating Serum Finish with Pure + Simple Skin Drink Moisturizer In the morning I splash my face with water, then: I spritz my face with Pure + Simple Rose Hydrosol Rub on Pure + Simple Hydrating Serum Finish with Pure + Simple Skin Drink Moisturizer After following this routine for a couple of weeks I no longer need to apply the serum or moisturizer after the Differin at night - my skin doesn't feel dry anymore. If it feels parched ill go back to the moisturizers at night - but for now this seems to work for me - I hope it works for you! https://www.pureandsimple.ca
Almost perfect
Reviewed on May 27, 2014

I switched from 0.025% trentinoin (Retin-A) cream to 0.3% adapalene (Differin) gel because I was suspicious that some of the ingredients in the cream base might have been clogging my pores. I really didn't expect much of a change though. But wow!! I've already seen a marked reduction in my acne and clogged pores in the 3 weeks that I've been using it. The pores in my nose look cleaner and smaller. Also the redness from past acne marks is fading. (Note: those results are not typical, I had already been on a retinoid for years prior to switching to adapalene so my skin was pretty well adjusted.) But I was surprised to see that switching from trentinoin to adapalane did bring back some of the initial side effects that I got from the trentinoin. Some burning, flaking, increased skin sensitivity and itching. I really didn't expect that after having been on a similar drug for so long. I do anticipate that these side effects will fade with use though, just like they did with trentinoin.

may work for some
Reviewed on May 24, 2014

I started off using this once a day just before bed and rubbed it into the affected areas. My fore head, cheek, nose and chin. What i found was that it is excellent for black heads and not so much for spots

Depends on your acne source
Reviewed on May 5, 2014

Differin never really did much for me but my problem is more of a treatment resistant bacteria.

Cleaning pores and removing dry skin is therefore not not the only solution needed. Would recommend for those needing that type of treatment though.

Patience
Reviewed on May 1, 2014

I've started using Differin 2 months,2 months and a half ago.I'll start by listing the unpleasant side effects i had for the first 1-2 weeks (maybe because i used a little more than recommended):extreme dryness and a little redness in the evening,although i wasn t exposed to sunlight during the day.And the inevitable breakout i had the first 2 weeks.Fortunately they were only small whiteheads that left barely any visible scars.I guess i have more of a mild acne;my biggest problem is big pores and some scarring from the past breakouts..but Differin really worked..it gave my skin a whole new texture,smoother and lighter and after only 2 and a half months i can see visible improvement.I still have the ocasional pimples and because the rate of skin regeneration is accelerated,i observed my skin scarrs more easily and the scars persist longer but i suppose it will fade away in the end.

I also want to give a couple advices to all new Differin users ,as i too found it difficult to deal with it at first:

1.Have a lot of patience...if you use it correctly,you can minimize a lot the undesired effects of the first weeks.

2.A pea sized amount means a pea size amount of cream for the WHOLE face...i learned that the hard way.The first days i used more like three peas sized amount because i though it wasn t enough just one.Guess what...it s more than enough :)

3.Start easy with it.Apply it once every evening for the first week,even for two weeks.Let your skin adapt to the new product.If you used before any AHA creams stop the use of them 2 weeks before you start the treatement with Differin.

4.For your daily face cleaning ritual try to use only dermato-cosmetic products for your type of skin (and look on the bottles for the "non comedogene" description: that means it won t clog your pores). I live in France,so i don t know exactly what european brands you guys have in the US,but i m sure you have a wide variety of products to choose from.There are even products that are specially created for the skin that is undergoing treatments like the one with Differin. I use Avene products :Clean-Ac cleansing creme for washing and the Clean-Ac moisturizer in the evening.Wash your face,let it dry and let your pores shrink for 15-20 minutes. Then apply Differin and let that be absorbed for 20 minutes at least.After that,always,ALWAYS use a moisturizer to counteract the massive dryness Differin can cause especially in the beginning of the treatement.In the morning,if the dryness persists,you can use the same powerful moisturizer or a lighter one (i have Bioderma Pore Refiner that shrinks my big pores).

Also Vichy has some foundation for the skin with problems,also non comedogene. I use Normaderm.

I hope that was helpful and once again,be patient,it will go away and you ll have much more better skin.Take care.