Page 3 of Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1264 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Patience and Work
Reviewed on June 23, 2014

When started using this treatment, it would worsen the acne on skin, which caused some trouble eliminating them, but later on, it would start to fade and lessen the appearance of the scarrings. But you will really NEED to wait for it to work. However, considering the price and the time needed to work, it isn't that worth it...

Acne becomes terrible with Differin
Reviewed on June 12, 2014

To start of, i had a mild-moderate acne and been on harsh soaps before then I started Differin 0.1% and Benzac (Benzoyl Peroxide) 0.5% application to my acne and Doxycycline oral antibiotics on May 17 as prescribed by my Dermatologist together with Cetaphil gentle cleanser. Only to find out that this product makes my acne worse than ever. On my 3rd week, i had Staph infection on my acne, there are pus-filled acne coming out and this made me really depressed. I got frustrated because i thought this could help me but it worsens everything. Got tired of spending so much time and money on this. I've read other reviews that this could take too long before it gets better. Well, i think i dont see the point of prolonging your agony on spending time with this product where you only see a short-term benefit. I need to try other product perhaps it may help like Kojic acid soap.

Worked amazingly for me - but only for a few years
Reviewed on June 5, 2014

My dermatologist prescribed me Duac & Differin topical creams (Duac for the morning and Differin at night). I remember getting an initial breakout from these creams but it didn't last too long. Within a couple of months my skin had cleared beautifully - I was so confident, hardly wore make up and when I did, would only use concealer for some scars and powder to control shine. Honestly, Differin worked amazingly for me.

HOWEVER, after about 2 years of using this product, my skin slowly but surely started to come back. Over a year it got so much worse and I gave in and went back to the dermatologist who has now put me on Dianette. I still use Dianette now, because I'm too scared not to and have also read that it is an excellent anti-wrinkle cream, as well as an acne treatment.

So, to sum up - Differin cleared me 99.9% (as well as Duac), but unfortunately was only temporary. Everybody's skin is different though, so it may clear YOU forever.

Skin do dry
Reviewed on June 4, 2014

I am new to using this product (only about a week) and I know there are side effects like acne getting worse and redness and I am ok with being patient, but is there anything you can recommend for the burning of dry skin?

It gets worse when I work out and sweat.

I've been using Aveeno to moisturize at night and a bioderm spf lotion in the day

Please suggest a product I can get in Canada

Thanks

by MK8 on 06/24/2014 08:42
Dermatologist recommended using CeraVe moisturizer first. It's a wonderful product you can find a your local drugstore.
by Natasha van de Zand on 07/14/2014 00:25
Use differin only in the evening, after all your activities and after you ve washed and cleaned well your face. You can appky it before going to bed, but don forget to apply the moisturizer after 15-20 de minutes after differin and then you are set.
by ctiffin on 07/25/2014 14:47
Hey! I have recently (about a month and a half ago) out on Differin. It dried my skin out so much, that touching it would make me cry out in pain! I went to Pure + Simple here in Toronto to get some natural moisturizing products - since using I no longer have dry, peel, painful skin! At night I wash my face with: Neutorgena Body Clear body wash - seems to work for me Apply the Differin Cream Rub on Pure + Simple Hydrating Serum Finish with Pure + Simple Skin Drink Moisturizer In the morning I splash my face with water, then: I spritz my face with Pure + Simple Rose Hydrosol Rub on Pure + Simple Hydrating Serum Finish with Pure + Simple Skin Drink Moisturizer After following this routine for a couple of weeks I no longer need to apply the serum or moisturizer after the Differin at night - my skin doesn't feel dry anymore. If it feels parched ill go back to the moisturizers at night - but for now this seems to work for me - I hope it works for you! https://www.pureandsimple.ca
Almost perfect
Reviewed on May 27, 2014

I switched from 0.025% trentinoin (Retin-A) cream to 0.3% adapalene (Differin) gel because I was suspicious that some of the ingredients in the cream base might have been clogging my pores. I really didn't expect much of a change though. But wow!! I've already seen a marked reduction in my acne and clogged pores in the 3 weeks that I've been using it. The pores in my nose look cleaner and smaller. Also the redness from past acne marks is fading. (Note: those results are not typical, I had already been on a retinoid for years prior to switching to adapalene so my skin was pretty well adjusted.) But I was surprised to see that switching from trentinoin to adapalane did bring back some of the initial side effects that I got from the trentinoin. Some burning, flaking, increased skin sensitivity and itching. I really didn't expect that after having been on a similar drug for so long. I do anticipate that these side effects will fade with use though, just like they did with trentinoin.

may work for some
Reviewed on May 24, 2014

I started off using this once a day just before bed and rubbed it into the affected areas. My fore head, cheek, nose and chin. What i found was that it is excellent for black heads and not so much for spots

Depends on your acne source
Reviewed on May 5, 2014

Differin never really did much for me but my problem is more of a treatment resistant bacteria.

Cleaning pores and removing dry skin is therefore not not the only solution needed. Would recommend for those needing that type of treatment though.

Patience
Reviewed on May 1, 2014

I've started using Differin 2 months,2 months and a half ago.I'll start by listing the unpleasant side effects i had for the first 1-2 weeks (maybe because i used a little more than recommended):extreme dryness and a little redness in the evening,although i wasn t exposed to sunlight during the day.And the inevitable breakout i had the first 2 weeks.Fortunately they were only small whiteheads that left barely any visible scars.I guess i have more of a mild acne;my biggest problem is big pores and some scarring from the past breakouts..but Differin really worked..it gave my skin a whole new texture,smoother and lighter and after only 2 and a half months i can see visible improvement.I still have the ocasional pimples and because the rate of skin regeneration is accelerated,i observed my skin scarrs more easily and the scars persist longer but i suppose it will fade away in the end.

I also want to give a couple advices to all new Differin users ,as i too found it difficult to deal with it at first:

1.Have a lot of patience...if you use it correctly,you can minimize a lot the undesired effects of the first weeks.

2.A pea sized amount means a pea size amount of cream for the WHOLE face...i learned that the hard way.The first days i used more like three peas sized amount because i though it wasn t enough just one.Guess what...it s more than enough :)

3.Start easy with it.Apply it once every evening for the first week,even for two weeks.Let your skin adapt to the new product.If you used before any AHA creams stop the use of them 2 weeks before you start the treatement with Differin.

4.For your daily face cleaning ritual try to use only dermato-cosmetic products for your type of skin (and look on the bottles for the "non comedogene" description: that means it won t clog your pores). I live in France,so i don t know exactly what european brands you guys have in the US,but i m sure you have a wide variety of products to choose from.There are even products that are specially created for the skin that is undergoing treatments like the one with Differin. I use Avene products :Clean-Ac cleansing creme for washing and the Clean-Ac moisturizer in the evening.Wash your face,let it dry and let your pores shrink for 15-20 minutes. Then apply Differin and let that be absorbed for 20 minutes at least.After that,always,ALWAYS use a moisturizer to counteract the massive dryness Differin can cause especially in the beginning of the treatement.In the morning,if the dryness persists,you can use the same powerful moisturizer or a lighter one (i have Bioderma Pore Refiner that shrinks my big pores).

Also Vichy has some foundation for the skin with problems,also non comedogene. I use Normaderm.

I hope that was helpful and once again,be patient,it will go away and you ll have much more better skin.Take care.

Love it!!!
Reviewed on April 29, 2014

I've been using differin gel for about 5 months. To begin with the acne became worse, my face was dry, itchy and peeling. However I am now into a great routine I use it 5 nights per week and the other two I cleanse/tone with Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser (which is fantastic) and skin boost toner. Any my absolute saviour is Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream. I also use this cleanse/ tone moisturise routine every morning. Follow this and always remove your make up and your life will be changed. I virtually have no spots now, however I am scared to stop my wonderful routine!

My only Night Treatment
Reviewed on March 29, 2014

I've used Differin gel for almost 2 years now. My derm recommended this for acne night treatment. I had no reaction or irritation. I have very sensitive adult acne skin and most products dry and irritate, this did not. This alone however does not treat my full acne. I need to use something during the day too. But I do love Differin and notice when I don't use it my face isn't as clear. It dries out pimples, gives a nice glow to my face in the morning. This is the "generic" form of retinols. I've tried the real retinols such as "Tazorac", but that was way too harsh for me! This works nicely with no side effects, plus my derm says it has anti-aging properties so that's a bonus.