Page 2 of Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1283 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel

Didn't make it worse, but didn't really improve it
Reviewed on January 13, 2015

I have used Adapalene for about 5 months and never saw much of a difference. My skin started to peel a little bit, nothing really bothersome. Acne in some areas lessened slightly, and other areas worsened slightly. No horrifying purging, redness, or peeling, but overall, no significant improvement. My doctor is going to have me try Tazorac next.

Might work for you, but not for me.
Reviewed on January 9, 2015

Okay, I had clear skin for a very long time and then I started breaking out, very mild acne. Like any teenage girl, it bothered me. I went to my doctor and she prescribed me Differin. I have been on it now for 7 weeks. My skin is horrible, I am embarrassed to go out with my friends anymore because of how horrible my skin is. I know have cystic acne on my cheek (where I have never broken out, EVER) . My face is very irritated, dry and red. This has not helped my face, instead it has caused me to go a complete 180 turn for the worse. This product did not work for me!

by SiriBai on 01/12/2015 21:15
Okay, but this is exactly what is supposed to happen. Your derm should have explained this to you that it gets worse before it gets better!
Takes a few months to work but hang in there
Reviewed on January 9, 2015

My 14 year old daughter started using this in August, and for the first two months it seemed to do nothing other than to keep making her break out. Literally, it looked like her face was getting worse. Then gradually, in the third month, she reached the point where new pimples were greatly diminished and the prior ones were healing. Her face now, after about 5 months, looks almost pimple-free. What is most noticeable is her oily skin is gone and her pores appear smaller on her nose. She had no drying issues or redness, I'm sure, because her skin had plenty of oil to prevent this. I can't promise that all of you will have the same result, but I do know that if she hadn't stuck it out when her face seemed to be at its worst, she wouldn't be where she is now. Prior to this she'd done benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, clearasil adult, salicylic acid toners, thyme herbal tinctures, sulfur ointment--you name it, she'd tried it. This worked great.

Combination is the way to go
Reviewed on November 25, 2014

This is gonna be a long review - I apologise in advance

I had an allergic reaction to Bio Oil and I developed millions and millions of whiteheads. My face with make up looked like Quaker oats! With my graduation only 3 weeks away, I went to the doctors and he prescribed me Differin. You cannot imagine my horror when he told me it'd get worse before it gets better and it could also take about 4 weeks to work. I could not risk this "worse period" happening on my graduation day so I bought a steroid cream, Funbact A off ebay - stupid decision, I know but I was desperate.

The steroid cream appeared to work at first the I had an outburst. My whiteheads became inflamed and I looked a hot mess! At this point, I decided to accept my fate and go on Differin - this was Oct 3rd. The first few weeks were hell - my skin burned so much. I'm African so my chocolate skin became black around the areas of application. I tried using it every other day with aloe vera gel on my off day and this helped calm my skin down.

I stopped using make up and my tea tree products because my skin just could not handle it. I went back to the doctors because I was not sure I wanted to continue with Differin - it had been 4 weeks and my skin was getting worse. I was asked to persevere for a bit more and was given lymecycline 408mg (twice daily for the first two weeks then once daily) - just in case I decided to stop the differin all together. I took both treatments together and I'm not sure what exactly worked but my cystic acne calmed down and it's just continued to get better.

I read online that Differin alone will not make the skin blemish free so I added Simple spotless skin triple wash and the pore minimizing toner to my regimen. I also drink warm lemon water every morning and rub the squeezed lemon on my face to fade scars. At weekends, I do a honey, lemon and tomato pulp mask. Today - 25th Nov, my skin feels so smooth and It is so much brighter as well. I have just gotten another tube of Differin from my doctors, I intend to continue using this with my regimen for maintenance

Didn't work
Reviewed on November 17, 2014

Didn't work for me. Made it worse. Caused skin to be too dry and red.

by samre on 11/30/2014 06:12
How long did you use it for?
Try a different approach
Reviewed on November 14, 2014

I've tried so many products, but they simply mask acne. A change in diet saved my skin.

See the bigger picture, whats your body trying to tell you?

For anyone interested in taking a different approach at skincare and improving your complexion from the inside out check out the power of Juice Plus. For less than a cup of coffee/day. It's a lifestyle change :)

Message me, I'd be happy to share!

by SiriBai on 01/12/2015 21:16
are you promoting something? this review isn't even for Adapalene. Ugh.
This is the only gel that worked for me
Reviewed on November 5, 2014

Im 18 and had acne for 4 years, i went to the pharmacy then afer seening my acne reccommened differin 0.1% to me. i also have been using a ance solution with i use on my face with a cotton btw i cant remember its name and i dont know which one cleared up my acne as i have been using them both at the same time :(; but anyways my acne was bad and both the medications cleared it all up. i only ever had acne on my forhead and between my eyebrows, i haven't used the gel for months and now my acne came back. i will definetly purchase this again.

Please help
Reviewed on September 27, 2014

I'm on 4months using differin but until now I didn't see change yet. My skin is so hot and peeling this is the side effect too?

by Pip98 on 10/15/2014 10:42
Oh my goodness so glad there is someone else in the same boat as me. I have been using to for four months as well and it seemed to get better and worse and now its getting really bad again.. I'm losing hope:(
by suzie96 on 11/05/2014 18:39
you might have an allergic reaction try benzoyl preoxide or something not as strong
by leelowe1 on 04/20/2015 23:12
I just started my fourth month and I am experiencing one of the worst breakouts I've had in a while
Couldn't deal with the instant purging
Reviewed on September 26, 2014

Tried to switch from Zineryt liquid lotion to Differin due to how difficult the Zineryt was to apply. The idea of an easy, one a day cream was great. However, unfortunately after just two days I switched straight back.

My skin was redder than ever, covered in spots and white heads were popping up so fast it was unbelievable.

However, I have no doubt that this product would work in the long time. I just couldn't take my skin getting in worse at that time. Try Zineryt lotion for instant drying of spots.

1 month in...
Reviewed on September 16, 2014

I took Accutane and my skin stayed clear for 1.5 years. During this time I was just using normal face wash and Aczone prescription, exfoliating, etc. About a month ago my skin just went nuts. It started getting really oily and I started noticing a considerable increase in "congestion". I had lots of blackheads and absolutely riddled with closed comedones. My skin overall and had an extremely oily and bumpy look to it, but wasn't breaking out into inflammed zits. So like I said, about a month ago I went back to the derm and she suggested Differin. She mention Aczone will not address the bumps under the skin, but Differin will. She suggested I continue using Aczone during the day, but Differin at night. The first week my skin went nuts with large zits and some cystic acne, which I have not had since pre accutance. Now that I am in what I think is week 4 or 5, the big zits are gone, but it's like every single bump on my face is red. Red acne scars have also been taking FOREVER to fade. It's absurd. I've read Differin "purges", but is this normal?