Page 2 of Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1251 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Skin do dry
Reviewed on June 4, 2014

I am new to using this product (only about a week) and I know there are side effects like acne getting worse and redness and I am ok with being patient, but is there anything you can recommend for the burning of dry skin?

It gets worse when I work out and sweat.

I've been using Aveeno to moisturize at night and a bioderm spf lotion in the day

Please suggest a product I can get in Canada

Thanks

by MK8 on 06/24/2014 08:42
Dermatologist recommended using CeraVe moisturizer first. It's a wonderful product you can find a your local drugstore.
by Natasha van de Zand on 07/14/2014 00:25
Use differin only in the evening, after all your activities and after you ve washed and cleaned well your face. You can appky it before going to bed, but don forget to apply the moisturizer after 15-20 de minutes after differin and then you are set.
by ctiffin on 07/25/2014 14:47
Hey! I have recently (about a month and a half ago) out on Differin. It dried my skin out so much, that touching it would make me cry out in pain! I went to Pure + Simple here in Toronto to get some natural moisturizing products - since using I no longer have dry, peel, painful skin! At night I wash my face with: Neutorgena Body Clear body wash - seems to work for me Apply the Differin Cream Rub on Pure + Simple Hydrating Serum Finish with Pure + Simple Skin Drink Moisturizer In the morning I splash my face with water, then: I spritz my face with Pure + Simple Rose Hydrosol Rub on Pure + Simple Hydrating Serum Finish with Pure + Simple Skin Drink Moisturizer After following this routine for a couple of weeks I no longer need to apply the serum or moisturizer after the Differin at night - my skin doesn't feel dry anymore. If it feels parched ill go back to the moisturizers at night - but for now this seems to work for me - I hope it works for you! https://www.pureandsimple.ca
Almost perfect
Reviewed on May 27, 2014

I switched from 0.025% trentinoin (Retin-A) cream to 0.3% adapalene (Differin) gel because I was suspicious that some of the ingredients in the cream base might have been clogging my pores. I really didn't expect much of a change though. But wow!! I've already seen a marked reduction in my acne and clogged pores in the 3 weeks that I've been using it. The pores in my nose look cleaner and smaller. Also the redness from past acne marks is fading. (Note: those results are not typical, I had already been on a retinoid for years prior to switching to adapalene so my skin was pretty well adjusted.) But I was surprised to see that switching from trentinoin to adapalane did bring back some of the initial side effects that I got from the trentinoin. Some burning, flaking, increased skin sensitivity and itching. I really didn't expect that after having been on a similar drug for so long. I do anticipate that these side effects will fade with use though, just like they did with trentinoin.

may work for some
Reviewed on May 24, 2014

I started off using this once a day just before bed and rubbed it into the affected areas. My fore head, cheek, nose and chin. What i found was that it is excellent for black heads and not so much for spots

Depends on your acne source
Reviewed on May 5, 2014

Differin never really did much for me but my problem is more of a treatment resistant bacteria.

Cleaning pores and removing dry skin is therefore not not the only solution needed. Would recommend for those needing that type of treatment though.

Patience
Reviewed on May 1, 2014

I've started using Differin 2 months,2 months and a half ago.I'll start by listing the unpleasant side effects i had for the first 1-2 weeks (maybe because i used a little more than recommended):extreme dryness and a little redness in the evening,although i wasn t exposed to sunlight during the day.And the inevitable breakout i had the first 2 weeks.Fortunately they were only small whiteheads that left barely any visible scars.I guess i have more of a mild acne;my biggest problem is big pores and some scarring from the past breakouts..but Differin really worked..it gave my skin a whole new texture,smoother and lighter and after only 2 and a half months i can see visible improvement.I still have the ocasional pimples and because the rate of skin regeneration is accelerated,i observed my skin scarrs more easily and the scars persist longer but i suppose it will fade away in the end.

I also want to give a couple advices to all new Differin users ,as i too found it difficult to deal with it at first:

1.Have a lot of patience...if you use it correctly,you can minimize a lot the undesired effects of the first weeks.

2.A pea sized amount means a pea size amount of cream for the WHOLE face...i learned that the hard way.The first days i used more like three peas sized amount because i though it wasn t enough just one.Guess what...it s more than enough :)

3.Start easy with it.Apply it once every evening for the first week,even for two weeks.Let your skin adapt to the new product.If you used before any AHA creams stop the use of them 2 weeks before you start the treatement with Differin.

4.For your daily face cleaning ritual try to use only dermato-cosmetic products for your type of skin (and look on the bottles for the "non comedogene" description: that means it won t clog your pores). I live in France,so i don t know exactly what european brands you guys have in the US,but i m sure you have a wide variety of products to choose from.There are even products that are specially created for the skin that is undergoing treatments like the one with Differin. I use Avene products :Clean-Ac cleansing creme for washing and the Clean-Ac moisturizer in the evening.Wash your face,let it dry and let your pores shrink for 15-20 minutes. Then apply Differin and let that be absorbed for 20 minutes at least.After that,always,ALWAYS use a moisturizer to counteract the massive dryness Differin can cause especially in the beginning of the treatement.In the morning,if the dryness persists,you can use the same powerful moisturizer or a lighter one (i have Bioderma Pore Refiner that shrinks my big pores).

Also Vichy has some foundation for the skin with problems,also non comedogene. I use Normaderm.

I hope that was helpful and once again,be patient,it will go away and you ll have much more better skin.Take care.

Love it!!!
Reviewed on April 29, 2014

I've been using differin gel for about 5 months. To begin with the acne became worse, my face was dry, itchy and peeling. However I am now into a great routine I use it 5 nights per week and the other two I cleanse/tone with Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser (which is fantastic) and skin boost toner. Any my absolute saviour is Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream. I also use this cleanse/ tone moisturise routine every morning. Follow this and always remove your make up and your life will be changed. I virtually have no spots now, however I am scared to stop my wonderful routine!

My only Night Treatment
Reviewed on March 29, 2014

I've used Differin gel for almost 2 years now. My derm recommended this for acne night treatment. I had no reaction or irritation. I have very sensitive adult acne skin and most products dry and irritate, this did not. This alone however does not treat my full acne. I need to use something during the day too. But I do love Differin and notice when I don't use it my face isn't as clear. It dries out pimples, gives a nice glow to my face in the morning. This is the "generic" form of retinols. I've tried the real retinols such as "Tazorac", but that was way too harsh for me! This works nicely with no side effects, plus my derm says it has anti-aging properties so that's a bonus.

Help me
Reviewed on March 4, 2014

I've just started using it 4 days ago and 2 times in a day, but when I used it and after 2 days all pimples in my skin becomes red.. But it wasn't hurting me when I hold them, but it looks so scary I want my face clear and I hope it will be better after I Keep using it

Please can you answer is it okay if the pimples become red :(? Would it be better soon? :'(

by Samok on 03/07/2014 05:24
This stuff is suppose to make your acne worse before it really starts working, the redness is a sign that its slowly starting to work and it just takes patience. Don't worry, I went through it too. :)
by Kazuri on 03/26/2014 23:53
What Samok said is right - when you are first using it, it will seem worse before it gets better. But then your skin should be much clearer - and remember to continue to use it even when you have clear skin. :) (See my other comment, 2 reviews below.)
by Jenny297 on 03/29/2014 12:42
Differin should only be used 1x a day, at night only. not sure what your derm told you, but you can go to the Differin website and they tell you how to use correctly. If you have a reaction, try using it every other day or apply a face lotion first then wait a while before putting differin on (as this can be a nice buffer). If your face still gets red you may be having a reaction or your face is too sensitive? All acne products take at least a few months to work wonders. Your skin may need time to adjust and get used to the product too.
by mxttylukee on 04/30/2014 22:49
After you have used your best working facial cleanser at night (I use Avon pure porefection foaming cleanser) , tone your face with any toner you want (I use simple facial toner) and then rub sudocrem into acne prone areas and where your acne already is, then in the morning wash your face with the same cleanser you use at night. I have used this routine for months and my acne really does clear up because of it.
by Sophkee on 05/01/2014 14:20
How are you now? Almost two months later, is it getting better?
by grumpyme on 05/02/2014 02:17
You need to wait. It'll get better
by sammot on 05/27/2014 03:13
1. Don't use it twice a day. Your doctor or pharmacist or the drug information packet that came with it should have explained that to you. 2. Redness is a common side effect of this drug. And since you've been using it twice as often as you should be it's not strange that you're noticing side effects. 3. You've only been using it for 4 days. Give it time.
Not too bad.
Reviewed on March 4, 2014

I've been using this stuff for about a year and I can see massive changes in my acne. It takes away redness a lot and prevents future breakouts, and prevents those icky white heads! Although my acne is still very bad, it's still continuing to make a change to my appearance.

does it really work???
Reviewed on March 1, 2014

Its a week since I started using differin and my skin peeling, dry, aching. I'm so frustrated right now cos my skin wasn't even bad I had few blackheads before I went to c the dermotologist and since I started using differin and bansac my skin went horrible, I'm so imaptient but I'm still gonna give it some time hope it works :(

by Kazuri on 03/26/2014 23:50
According to my dermatologist, the way it works is more as a preventative measure. So for the first little while, it's "purging" your skin of impurities (which is why it may feel your skin is getting worse, but really, it's just pushing out the invisible ones that were getting ready to form), and then afterwards it prevents new ones from forming. This is why even when you aren't breaking out, you should use it all over your face, and you should always apply it after using a moisturizer - don't skip face lotion. I have been using Differin for years, only to just recently find out that I wasn't really using it correctly. I'm not sure why other dermatologists I've seen haven't made sure to explain it better!
by sammot on 05/27/2014 03:14
A week isn't enough time to see results from this drug. Did your doctor or pharmacist not explain this to you? It can take up to 16 weeks to really see the true results of the drug. be patient.