Page 2 of Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1316 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

WAIT for results!
Reviewed on June 17, 2016

Background: I'm twenty years old and I've never had a problem with acne leading up to this. I would get the occasional spot, with one nagging cluster on my forehead because I rub there when I'm stressed. Then I had a massive cystic acne breakout.

In January 2016 I started a new medication, which worked great except for it started to cause acne. This medication is known for doing that. It saved my life, but over the course of several months cause me to have a moderate to severe cystic acne breakout. I'd never had a cyst before, and four months later this was all over my cheeks and chin, overlapping each other and bright red. I've never worn make up before, but had to start in order to feel ok leaving the house.

When my doctor saw me in March, we switched to a new medication that wouldn't cause acne, but we still had to deal with the fall out. He prescribed minocycline and told me to stick with my sacylic acid face wash. This did nothing by mid-April, so I started doing my own research. I found out that Epsom salt is really helpful for some, and gave it a shot. It worked like magic and drew up and drained almost all my cysts, but they were still not completely healed and were always threatening to flare up, I also had a few persistent ones that refused to drain.

When I saw my doctor earlier this month, June, he put me on doxycycline and Adapalene 0.1%. I saw results within a couple of days, it was amazing. My cysts have almost all gone completely flat, a lot of them are completely healed except for scarring and that is starting to fade. I've only been on it a week and a half, which isn't normal at all. I think the reason why it's so accelerated is because I was using the Epsom salt religiously and it drew out so much of the infection that my face was already very primed to heal. You have to give this medication time to kick in. My face is peeling a little but that's how this medication works, my scarred skin is peeling away.

I'll post a follow-up in a couple of weeks, I hope it'll be cleared completely by then.

Recommend it!
Reviewed on June 12, 2016

Been struggling with acne for a long time, and this stuff has been one of the few things that have worked. Highly recommend.

Don't know what to think
Reviewed on June 10, 2016

OK so I started using this in conjunction with Zineryt after Retin A seemingly stopped working.

I am currently 1.5 weeks into treatment (which as I know from former experience with a retinoid is very little time) However I am having the worst breakout ever, even worse than when I had the initial breakout from Retin A. My left cheek is covered in huge red spots and now my forehead is also starting to act up. My social life is taking a hit as I feel reluctant to leave the house looking like the mess I am right now. I'm really having my doubts about this. However I will keep using this as they say it takes a month to see some results. I'll update when I reach the one month mark.

Whitehead & acne
Reviewed on April 6, 2016

Im 25 years old.. I dont have big problem on acne..only whitehead around forehead, cheek and chin.. Already use differin gel 0.1% about a month..But now I got big acne between my eyebrow, on forehead, nose, chin, some on cheek.. Whitehead still on my face..my skin still oily, when I clean my skin using cleanser my skin got burn.. I hope my skin get better because now my skin worse than before..

by Wan_Inn on 06/08/2016 10:44
After 3months My skin super great now. I use differing 0.1% gel. My whitehead gone. I dont remember how its gonez.lol. First 2-3months, breakout no breakout no breakout no. But now im satisfied with my skin even I still got 1-2 tiny acne or whitehead. My skin great I use combination of vitamin C + wild yam from Artistry (my friend suggest it) then put differin and my skin super glow nice.. Sorry my broken english.
by Wan_Inn on 06/08/2016 10:47
Differin*
by Wan_Inn on 06/08/2016 10:47
Differin*
DONT DO IT!!!
Reviewed on June 7, 2016

Ok so for the past two weeks I have been addicted to this forum and I fee like I've learned a lot and feel motivated to help others. I went off of birth control for the first time in 12 years and my skin went CRAZY!!! Me being me, I immediately went to see a doctor and then a dermatologist. I was prescribed Differin 0.1% and it made my acne SO MUCH WORSE. I have very sensitive skin and am prone to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Every time I used this product it either gave me more acne or caused such severe redness that it made my mild acne look like severe acne. I'm a nurse and PhD student and thus have a medical background. As a result, I always lean on the evidence based approaches. But holy sweet jesus I am learning SO SO much about diet and natural remedies and how they are so much better for treating acne than any harsh topical chemical. I do 100% believe in birth control for the management of hormonal acne and am also giving doxycycline a try. In my opinion, the best approaches to treat acute acne are a) GREEN TEA- I've only been using it for 2 days and already my skin looks less red. Although this could also be due to the fact that I've ditched the Differin, there are legitimate scientific studies that reveal why green tea is great for acne and skin in general.... b) ICE- please try icing inflamed pimples before putting harsh chemicals on your skin...especially if it's sensitive like mine. This has drastically helped to reduce my inflammation and can even reduce the size of the pimples. c) ELIMINATE DAIRY- eliminate it completely for one month and see what happens. I am only on day 3 of this so I will post an update. I know that this may not work for everyone, however, if you have a dairy intolerance or are willing to give it up for a month to see what happens PLEASE give this a shot before spending tons and tons of money on useless topicals and shedding lots of tears. I ate a bowl of ice cream and had a slice of cheese on Saturday and by Sunday morning I woke up with three more HUGE pimples. There are also various scientific studies on how dairy aggravates acne. Just type in Google Scholar: "Acne and dairy". I will be posting updates over the next few weeks. d) TRY CETAPHIL- gentle cleanser, not many ingredients, cheap. e) EAT LOTS OF VEGETABLES, FRUIT (but not an excessive amount due to the sugar), and foods with a LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX. Again, I only just started this and will post updates with my progress....but as mentioned, I've been obsessively researching this stuff and these are the safest, most cost effective, and healthiest ways to tackle this problem.

So to summarize, YES birth control helps acne (especially Dianne 35 but you'll eventually want to transition to a less harsh birth control once things are under control because it is an intense birth control with risks) and MAYBE oral antibiotics like doxycycline can help SOME people. The key is to not only treat the symptoms of acne but to get at the underlying cause. Hormones, stress, genetics, and food intolerances appear to be the main culprits. From my own experience and from a lot of the reviews I've read, AVOID DIFFERIN AND TREAT YOUR SKIN AS SENSITIVE AND YOUR ACNE AS A WARNING SIGN THAT YOUR BODY IS OUT OF BALANCE. Don't make my mistakes by going the harsh chemical route right off the bat! I had to go to the hospital last week because my face was so inflamed!! (I combined Differin, Retin A, and glycolic acid.....ya dumb, I know. Don't make my mistake!) If anyone needs some moral support plz feel free to shoot me an e mail at john0994@flinders.edu.au. I know how depressing and anxiety provoking this can be and it's important to get the social support you need! Good luck beautiful people! xox

good
Reviewed on May 16, 2016

I've struggled with acne for over 10 years and this has been one of the best prescription products I have tried. I have literally tried everything. Differin has not only helped my acne but I noticed it helps the acne scars fade.

Works great!
Reviewed on May 16, 2016

I was feeling depressed because of a very bad sudden breakout, especially on my forehead and left cheek. For a whole week, I avoided meeting people including friends and family members. I went to the doctor and got prescribed some antibiotics, BP to apply every morning and Differin to apply at night. Not sure if it was because I took all 3 prescriptions together or just because of the Differin, but within a week the red bumps on my forehead and left cheek really cleared up. There are only red little marks left but it is definitely fading as days goes by.

The Differin works great for me and I hope that all of you will soon find something that will be able to help cure your acne problems!

Reviewed on May 15, 2016

Was not satisfied at all. it is too irritating to me and no improvement

Wasnt great
Reviewed on May 11, 2016

I have oily skin and started this about 3 months ago. It had a very bad effect on my cupids bow area and around my nose as it was very dry and itchy. I didnt see a huge difference in my acne either. Wouldn't recommend

Caused Terrible Rash
Reviewed on April 17, 2016

I have used this product for about 2 weeks . At first I was happy with the results . About 10 days into it my neck started to itch and nurm . it was bright red like a sunburn.I didn't realize the connection at first and continued to use this . The rash got worse more itching . more burning so I finally stopped using it and the rash went away after a couple days . I won't be using this product again