Page 2 of Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1286 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel

Where to buy is not associated with this product. All proceeds from links go to charity.

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel

Works AND no side effects!
Reviewed on April 27, 2015

I was prescribed Differin 0.1% gel, as well as being prescribed lymecycline tablets (1 a day).. Been on both prescriptions about 2/3 weeks and my skin has all cleared, literally only about 2 spots on my face!!!

Obviously I can't say which treatment is doing the magic but as a combination all I can say is AMAAAZING!!!

Really recommend it!

Also, I've read that some people experience irritation and itching with this gel but so far I've had no side effects!

by shupti on 08/28/2015 14:29
i am suffering from acne for 2 months and i dont have any major problm.. can i use this cream??
by shupti on 08/28/2015 14:30
Huge let down
Reviewed on April 21, 2015

I have been on Differin .03% for four months and 2 days and today I am experiencing one of the worst breakouts to date. I had seen improvement but nothing consistent. Looking at my face today, one would never guess I was taking care of my skin. My entire right side mouth/jaw/chin area has several inflamed pus filled acne that is hard to the touch. It looks disgusting. I choose not to wear makeup so everything is out there for the world to see. I usually go through a breakout and then a clear up cycle but I can't foresee this getting any better. The pros I suppose is that Differin is the gentlest retinoid of the lot and will last you forever. I recommend people give it 3-6 months before throwing in the towel just so that they can mark it off their list if it doesn't work. I am going to stick it out until the 6 month mark and will update if my review changes.

Hopefully this will not discourage anyone from trying this as different people react differently to different retinoids.

by strongbad19 on 08/05/2015 03:07
Did your doctor prescribe other medication to go with this? Mine gave me doxy for 2 months and then we began a regiment with Differin and Benzaclin (to kill the bacteria quickly).
Week 3
Reviewed on March 19, 2015

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but came across it last night in a fit of desperation about my skin! To give the context, I'm 29 and live in the UK. I don't have severe acne, but I suffer from large, very sore and inflamed papules around my jawline and mouth. I was prescribed Zineryt about 3 years and to begin with, it worked brilliantly. However it eventually stopped working, primarily because Zineryt is an antibiotic -based medicine, and I have become resistant to it, as many of you probably have if you've used it or something similar. After getting very fed up, I called my GP again and was prescribed Differin (over the phone, without actually seeing my face, I will add...). I'm on week 3, and although I haven't noticed any dramatic changes, it doesn't seem to be getting any worse, which is positive. I've got a few little bumps but none of the enlarged papules around my jaw line as before. My GP said it would take about 4-6 weeks to see a difference and to stick with it. I have a few things to say to give you all some advice which may give you all a little hope:

Firstly, don't be tempted to put on more than necessary - it won't get rid of the acne any quicker. For those who have experienced intense redness, itching, irritation, try using less product to see whether this will make a difference. If it doesn't help and you still have upset skin, go back to the GP/dermatologist. Perhaps it's just not suitable for your skin. I personally am allergic to Quinoderm and Duac, because of the actives in it. That's the main reason I was put on Differin and Zineryt, because of the strong reaction I have had to Benzoyl Peroxide products.

Second, for those worried about scarring. You need to let the acne heal before you can treat the scars. I have attended a couple of dermatology conferences due the nature of my job, and I have heard time and time again that the acne has to be treated and healed before the scarring can be tackled. There are many options out there but it's a question of waiting and being patient.

I'll give an update in a few weeks to see where I am with the Differin. Like you guys, I really hope it works too. To answer the question a lot of you are asking, it definitely makes the skin dry and flaky. It's mainly noticeable when applying make-up in the morning (I apply my Differin at night). The key here is moisturising and gentle exfoliating. This also applies to those with oily skin. Don't be tempted to skip the moisturiser because you have oily skin. You need to keep the skin lubricated so it won't over compensate and produce extra sebum.

Good luck, everyone.

by Zany*MJ on 09/20/2015 13:19
Differing=adaferin gel??????????
It's painful, but it does the job
Reviewed on March 19, 2015

If you like what you're about to read, please vote up to help others.

Trial & Error: This stuff is strong. VERY STRONG! I am guessing that people who say that it doesn't work immediately for them are using a milder formula (0.05% or 0.025%). 0.1% Differin works very well. You only apply a tiiiiiny amount on the acne locations at night time (rub it in). Do this every other night and do it only twice initially. And then stop. You'll see that within a week of stopping, your skin will start to peel like none other. Now you need to leave your skin alone and let it work its magic over the next few weeks. Stay out of the sun (especially during the times of 10am and 2pm when the sun is strongest) and apply the following moisturizers as necessary (basically whenever you feel that your skin is really dry): non-clogging facial moisturizer, eye cream, and non-clogging facial sunscreen (Neutrogena makes products for all these situations). You must apply FACIAL moisturizers b/c your face's skin is so different from the rest of your body (and your eyes have a different type of skin than the rest of your face). Apply these whenever you feel your skin is dry. As your skin is peeling, your skin is becoming more sensitive and you will inevitably feel a STRONG BURN when you apply moisturizers to your face. To reduce the burn but still moisturize, you can purchase Neutrogena's alcohol-free/oil-free facial moisturizer (if you see the ingredients of lotions, almost ALL of them include some type of alcohol which is what causes the burning sensation)! You also want to use a facial wash twice a day; YOU MUST WASH YOUR FACE GENTLY TWICE A DAY! Why? B/c as your skin sheds, it releases oils associated with the acne that may get into pores on other parts of your face (this happened to me. I had acne on my forehead and even though my forehead cleared up, my nose got acne b/c I didn't wash my face twice daily). Avoid excessive sweating, too as this can wreak havoc for your acne, too during the shedding process. If you do sweat, please please please wash your face immediately after you workout (otherwise the nose problem will happen here, too b/c your pores open up when you sweat and bacteria can get in). If your eyelids flare up (mine did) then take 2 Ibuprofen to help the swelling go down. You shouldn't take Advil consistently for more than three consecutive days b/c it's not good for your liver. Wear Sunglasses. After your skin has rehealed and stopped shedding, evaluate your acne again and see whether you need to go through another cycle of Differin. One cycle for me takes 4-5 weeks. I was also taking Minocycline (100 mg twice a day) in conjunction with my Adapalene treatment.

Great for mild to moderate acne
Reviewed on March 17, 2015

this has worked magic for me for the last 6 months. from day 1 it worked, i used it with cetaphil oily skin cleanser. however it has sadly lost its effectiveness and now i'm on Isotrex Gel which i'm dreading

Reduced swelling, lots of peeling.
Reviewed on March 17, 2015

I have had mild acne for over a year, my dermatologist prescribed adapalene, it has cleared up my skin quite a bit, although the excessive peeling. I knew that there would be dry skin and I'm trying to cope with it by exfoliating and moisturizing. It hasn't cleared up my skin complete but it is getting better.

After 2 months and 2 weeks
Reviewed on February 9, 2015

So, I've started have acne when I was 13 years old. Now I'm 15 I still suffer with it. When it first appeard I went to a dermotologist and he prescribed me Duac. I was on Duac for allmost 2 years when it stopped doing effect, so I went to another dermatologist, that prescribed me Differin. He warned me that I would always have up and lows in my acne but nothing like I have today. The first months it worked really well for me, I had perfect skin only after 1 month using it and I though it was my cure. But at the beginning of the second month I started having breakouts and they would last for more than 2 weeks wich uppset me very much. A few days ago my face started burning A LOT, and I now have acne in every part of my face. I started using Diferrin when I had mild acne and now I have moderate. I also started getting redness and allergic reaction on my neck. I stopped using Differin 3 days ago and my acne is worst than it has ever been.

I don't know if this product worked for some of you, but in my case it didn't. I ordered the regiment and I'm waiting for the products to come and I'm really excited to see if it cures me. 😄

by ececavas on 03/23/2015 01:29
my face burns too! i thought it was just me and the way i was using it
9 weeks in and the progress has been great.
Reviewed on January 29, 2015

So basically I struggled with mild acne on my forehead and chin for 18 months. My acne consisted of small black heads which created little bumps. After trying basically every face wash and cream under the shelf, I went to my doctor and he prescribed me differin. At first differin burnt my face and made it peel which was very uncomfortable especially when i applied makeup. I also had two initial breakouts, which occurred around weeks 3 and 6. Right now I'm a few days into week 9 and during these few days my acne has cleared up drastically. My advice for people who are on differin is not to give up hope because the outcome is worth it. I would also recommend moisturising your face twice a day, and exfoliating every 2-3 days. Goodluck to everyone who is on it :)

Didn't make it worse, but didn't really improve it
Reviewed on January 13, 2015

I have used Adapalene for about 5 months and never saw much of a difference. My skin started to peel a little bit, nothing really bothersome. Acne in some areas lessened slightly, and other areas worsened slightly. No horrifying purging, redness, or peeling, but overall, no significant improvement. My doctor is going to have me try Tazorac next.

Might work for you, but not for me.
Reviewed on January 9, 2015

Okay, I had clear skin for a very long time and then I started breaking out, very mild acne. Like any teenage girl, it bothered me. I went to my doctor and she prescribed me Differin. I have been on it now for 7 weeks. My skin is horrible, I am embarrassed to go out with my friends anymore because of how horrible my skin is. I know have cystic acne on my cheek (where I have never broken out, EVER) . My face is very irritated, dry and red. This has not helped my face, instead it has caused me to go a complete 180 turn for the worse. This product did not work for me!

by SiriBai on 01/12/2015 21:15
Okay, but this is exactly what is supposed to happen. Your derm should have explained this to you that it gets worse before it gets better!