Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel

Average price: $39.89

Brand: Differin

Most helpful review

By Samari, Hayward, Ca on 03/11/2013

Love love love the results I had verry bad acne and did not want to get accuntane I was given this and its great my face is still very oily but its worth it. Stick to it you are not expected to see results within the first 2 months but I saw results from the first week my acne is totally under controll I feel CONFIDENT AGAIN !.

Pros:
  • clears up dark acne scars
  • saw improvements within the first week
Cons:
  • can leave face dry

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Member reviews

“My only Night Treatment”
By on

I've used Differin gel for almost 2 years now. My derm recommended this for acne night treatment. I had no reaction or irritation. I have very sensitive adult acne skin and most products dry and irritate, this did not. This alone however does not treat my full acne. I need to use something during the day too. But I do love Differin and notice when I don't use it my face isn't as clear. It dries out pimples, gives a nice glow to my face in the morning. This is the "generic" form of retinols. I've tried the real retinols such as "Tazorac", but that was way too harsh for me! This works nicely with no side effects, plus my derm says it has anti-aging properties so that's a bonus.

Pros

• glides on smoothly
  • use only small amount
  • lasts a long time

Cons

• can be drying if apply too much
  • for more than a year
  • $ 50
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Help me”
By on

I've just started using it 4 days ago and 2 times in a day, but when I used it and after 2 days all pimples in my skin becomes red.. But it wasn't hurting me when I hold them, but it looks so scary I want my face clear and I hope it will be better after I Keep using it

Please can you answer is it okay if the pimples become red :(? Would it be better soon? :'(

Pros

• Answer me
  • Maybe it works soon
  • I'm scared

Cons

• Red pimples
  • Skin
  • Pimples
  • for a day or two
  • $ 200
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not too bad.”
By on

I've been using this stuff for about a year and I can see massive changes in my acne. It takes away redness a lot and prevents future breakouts, and prevents those icky white heads! Although my acne is still very bad, it's still continuing to make a change to my appearance.

Pros

• Prevents redness
  • Gets rid of white heads
  • Helps with cystic acne

Cons

• Makes skin dry
  • Takes a while to work
  • for about a year
  • $ 35
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“does it really work???”
By on

Its a week since I started using differin and my skin peeling, dry, aching. I'm so frustrated right now cos my skin wasn't even bad I had few blackheads before I went to c the dermotologist and since I started using differin and bansac my skin went horrible, I'm so imaptient but I'm still gonna give it some time hope it works :(

• for about a week
  • $ 32
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Use sparingly and be patient!”
By on

Started using the cream version of differin just over a month ago and I'm delighted with the results so far.

I followed others advice and used less than a pea sized amount every night. For the first week my skin felt minimal discomfort...I'd describe it as a feeling of slight sunburn. This soon subsided though and I didn't experience any major flaking or drying like I have in the past with benzoyl peroxide.

Here's a few tips to get the best results from adapalen:

1. Gently cleanse skin.

I use neutragena facewash at night to remove make up and cetaphil cleanser in the morning.

2. Use SpF... Olay complete care spf 30 lotion is gentle, non pore blocking and hydrating.

3. Use a non pore blocking foundation such as Vichy dernablend. (This will camouflage acne scarring and is non comodegenic)

4. Use a pea sized amount at night only. Use religiously and don't expect to see a dramatic difference until a month at least.

5. Avoid eye area and corners of mouth. This is the only areas that I get occasional dryness now.

My skin is so much better and it's only been a month. And an added bonus to using adapalen......it has anti aging properties as well!!!!!!! Fab!

Pros

• Unblocks pores
  • Clearer brighter skin
  • One tube lasts ages

Cons

• Makes you sensitive to light
  • Takes 4-6 weeks to see a noticeable difference
  • Week one experienced slight burning sensation
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“WHAT TO DO”
By on

Okay so i have been using differin for about a week with the dilisol gel prescribed by my derm. The thing about me is a hate pimples and i feel like this is bringing out all of them. Like i don't have severe acne but its just annoying. I want to have good skin already. My face is getting pretty dry but i decided to only wash my face once a day so it doesn't get too bad and red. i don't even know if this is gonna work on me or not so I'm really frustrated. How long before it starts working? By the way I'm 16

Pros

• only been using it for a week so i don't know the pros

Cons

• bring acne out
  • makes face dry and red
  • for about a week
  • $ 20
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Good!!!”
By on

I have been using Differin for approximately 3 years I can’t remember exactly when I started the medication, all I can remember was feeling low and depressed. I did not have serious acne maybe 5 small spots on my face at one time.... but what I did have annoyed me and that was all that mattered.... I was low and it was beginning to affect my self esteem and my relationship with my family.

One evening I opened up to my mum and told her exactly how I felt, this was the best thing I had ever done! Mum booked me a doctor’s appointment and I was prescribed Differin I’ve never looked back. My face is so much better although i still get the occasional bout of spots maybe two or three at a time but I can normally tell when these are coming. I cut out all dairy and fatty foods from my diet completely!

I think Differin is amazing! I have turned from an unconfident 17/18 year old struggling with spots to a 21 year old developing a budding and successful career also appearing on TV several times in front of audiences larger than 1 Million. I think I will always get the odd spot (Nobody is perfect) but Differin helped me to restructure my life! Give it time and don’t give up, remember nobody Is perfect!!!

• for more than a year
  • $ 7.86

“Great!”
By on

I absolutely love this product I actually started it 3 days ago and my acne has been out of control. I have had two children in two years and my hormones are so crazy my acne was awful especially on my chin and temple. Anyway, I noticed a difference after the first use. I am so excited to see how much better this gets. I'm looking forward to being confident again 8-)!

Pros

• Works super fast!

Cons

• Dry skin
  • for a day or two
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Dries skin out and doesn't work!”
By on

I have tried this 3 times, and my acne did not get worse but it didn't improve either. It made my skin very dry and flakey which was annoying. I don't recommend it as it didn't work for ME, but that does not mean it wont for you! Good luck!

Pros

• didnt make my acne worse...

Cons

• makes skin dry
  • dosent make skin better!
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Keeps pimples at bay”
By on

Originally it was used for spot treatment until I went to another doctor who told me to put it all over my face. It makes you flake a lot! In the morning when I wake up, it looks like I put powder on my face. Good exfoliation, I suppose. Sometimes it make my skin sensitive.

It's definitely worth a try.

Pros

• Keeps pimples away
  • anti-inflammatory effect

Cons

• dry, flaky
  • may make your skin sensitive
  • for about a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.