Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1275 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

After 2 months and 2 weeks
Reviewed on February 9, 2015

So, I've started have acne when I was 13 years old. Now I'm 15 I still suffer with it. When it first appeard I went to a dermotologist and he prescribed me Duac. I was on Duac for allmost 2 years when it stopped doing effect, so I went to another dermatologist, that prescribed me Differin. He warned me that I would always have up and lows in my acne but nothing like I have today. The first months it worked really well for me, I had perfect skin only after 1 month using it and I though it was my cure. But at the beginning of the second month I started having breakouts and they would last for more than 2 weeks wich uppset me very much. A few days ago my face started burning A LOT, and I now have acne in every part of my face. I started using Diferrin when I had mild acne and now I have moderate. I also started getting redness and allergic reaction on my neck. I stopped using Differin 3 days ago and my acne is worst than it has ever been.

I don't know if this product worked for some of you, but in my case it didn't. I ordered the regiment and I'm waiting for the products to come and I'm really excited to see if it cures me. 😄

9 weeks in and the progress has been great.
Reviewed on January 29, 2015

So basically I struggled with mild acne on my forehead and chin for 18 months. My acne consisted of small black heads which created little bumps. After trying basically every face wash and cream under the shelf, I went to my doctor and he prescribed me differin. At first differin burnt my face and made it peel which was very uncomfortable especially when i applied makeup. I also had two initial breakouts, which occurred around weeks 3 and 6. Right now I'm a few days into week 9 and during these few days my acne has cleared up drastically. My advice for people who are on differin is not to give up hope because the outcome is worth it. I would also recommend moisturising your face twice a day, and exfoliating every 2-3 days. Goodluck to everyone who is on it :)

Didn't make it worse, but didn't really improve it
Reviewed on January 13, 2015

I have used Adapalene for about 5 months and never saw much of a difference. My skin started to peel a little bit, nothing really bothersome. Acne in some areas lessened slightly, and other areas worsened slightly. No horrifying purging, redness, or peeling, but overall, no significant improvement. My doctor is going to have me try Tazorac next.

Might work for you, but not for me.
Reviewed on January 9, 2015

Okay, I had clear skin for a very long time and then I started breaking out, very mild acne. Like any teenage girl, it bothered me. I went to my doctor and she prescribed me Differin. I have been on it now for 7 weeks. My skin is horrible, I am embarrassed to go out with my friends anymore because of how horrible my skin is. I know have cystic acne on my cheek (where I have never broken out, EVER) . My face is very irritated, dry and red. This has not helped my face, instead it has caused me to go a complete 180 turn for the worse. This product did not work for me!

by SiriBai on 01/12/2015 21:15
Okay, but this is exactly what is supposed to happen. Your derm should have explained this to you that it gets worse before it gets better!
Takes a few months to work but hang in there
Reviewed on January 9, 2015

My 14 year old daughter started using this in August, and for the first two months it seemed to do nothing other than to keep making her break out. Literally, it looked like her face was getting worse. Then gradually, in the third month, she reached the point where new pimples were greatly diminished and the prior ones were healing. Her face now, after about 5 months, looks almost pimple-free. What is most noticeable is her oily skin is gone and her pores appear smaller on her nose. She had no drying issues or redness, I'm sure, because her skin had plenty of oil to prevent this. I can't promise that all of you will have the same result, but I do know that if she hadn't stuck it out when her face seemed to be at its worst, she wouldn't be where she is now. Prior to this she'd done benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, clearasil adult, salicylic acid toners, thyme herbal tinctures, sulfur ointment--you name it, she'd tried it. This worked great.

Combination is the way to go
Reviewed on November 25, 2014

This is gonna be a long review - I apologise in advance

I had an allergic reaction to Bio Oil and I developed millions and millions of whiteheads. My face with make up looked like Quaker oats! With my graduation only 3 weeks away, I went to the doctors and he prescribed me Differin. You cannot imagine my horror when he told me it'd get worse before it gets better and it could also take about 4 weeks to work. I could not risk this "worse period" happening on my graduation day so I bought a steroid cream, Funbact A off ebay - stupid decision, I know but I was desperate.

The steroid cream appeared to work at first the I had an outburst. My whiteheads became inflamed and I looked a hot mess! At this point, I decided to accept my fate and go on Differin - this was Oct 3rd. The first few weeks were hell - my skin burned so much. I'm African so my chocolate skin became black around the areas of application. I tried using it every other day with aloe vera gel on my off day and this helped calm my skin down.

I stopped using make up and my tea tree products because my skin just could not handle it. I went back to the doctors because I was not sure I wanted to continue with Differin - it had been 4 weeks and my skin was getting worse. I was asked to persevere for a bit more and was given lymecycline 408mg (twice daily for the first two weeks then once daily) - just in case I decided to stop the differin all together. I took both treatments together and I'm not sure what exactly worked but my cystic acne calmed down and it's just continued to get better.

I read online that Differin alone will not make the skin blemish free so I added Simple spotless skin triple wash and the pore minimizing toner to my regimen. I also drink warm lemon water every morning and rub the squeezed lemon on my face to fade scars. At weekends, I do a honey, lemon and tomato pulp mask. Today - 25th Nov, my skin feels so smooth and It is so much brighter as well. I have just gotten another tube of Differin from my doctors, I intend to continue using this with my regimen for maintenance

Didn't work
Reviewed on November 17, 2014

Didn't work for me. Made it worse. Caused skin to be too dry and red.

by samre on 11/30/2014 06:12
How long did you use it for?
Try a different approach
Reviewed on November 14, 2014

I've tried so many products, but they simply mask acne. A change in diet saved my skin.

See the bigger picture, whats your body trying to tell you?

For anyone interested in taking a different approach at skincare and improving your complexion from the inside out check out the power of Juice Plus. For less than a cup of coffee/day. It's a lifestyle change :)

Message me, I'd be happy to share!

by SiriBai on 01/12/2015 21:16
are you promoting something? this review isn't even for Adapalene. Ugh.
This is the only gel that worked for me
Reviewed on November 5, 2014

Im 18 and had acne for 4 years, i went to the pharmacy then afer seening my acne reccommened differin 0.1% to me. i also have been using a ance solution with i use on my face with a cotton btw i cant remember its name and i dont know which one cleared up my acne as i have been using them both at the same time :(; but anyways my acne was bad and both the medications cleared it all up. i only ever had acne on my forhead and between my eyebrows, i haven't used the gel for months and now my acne came back. i will definetly purchase this again.

Please help
Reviewed on September 27, 2014

I'm on 4months using differin but until now I didn't see change yet. My skin is so hot and peeling this is the side effect too?

by Pip98 on 10/15/2014 10:42
Oh my goodness so glad there is someone else in the same boat as me. I have been using to for four months as well and it seemed to get better and worse and now its getting really bad again.. I'm losing hope:(
by suzie96 on 11/05/2014 18:39
you might have an allergic reaction try benzoyl preoxide or something not as strong