Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1251 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

>10 weeks, some improvements, but I want more :)
Reviewed on July 26, 2014

Sorry for my bad English. I'm 21 year-old-male. I've have acne since 16-17 but it was very mild. Unfortunately, earlier this year when I entered the age of 21, it became mild/moderate. I started using Differin in 10 or 11th May. Now after 11 weeks, my skin has some improvements. I can see my acne does not "deep" that it used to be. But my face still has some whiteheads and a fews pimples, although it is not painful to touch, small, but I watn it disaspear quickly. So i decide to use Differtin with clindamycin 100mg. :) Hope my beautiful face come back again soon :)

AWFUL
Reviewed on July 26, 2014

When i first started using this product it seemed to work miracles, but then after 3 months it stopped. My acne became much worse and the differein burned my skin AND LEFT IT SO RED. After putting up with this for a week i couldn't take it any more and i stopped using it completely. My skin sill burns whenever i put any products and i look like a lobster whenever i put on anything, even just moisturizer :(

I can't believe I waited so long to see a Dermatologist!
Reviewed on July 25, 2014

I was recently (about a month and a half ago) put on Differin by my derm. I had very mild acne but at 28 years old I had had enough - I wanted beautiful, clear skin!

I sampled it on my cheek for 2 weeks to check for dryness / irritation then went forward with a nightly application all over my face. It dried my skin out so much, that touching it would make me cry out in pain! It was peely, flaky, painful - even the skin by my eyes and eyelids started to flake, and i didn't even put it on my eyes!

I went to Pure + Simple here in Toronto to get some natural moisturizing products - since using I no longer have dry, peel, painful skin!

At night I wash my face with:

Neutorgena Body Clear body wash - seems to work for me

Apply the Differin Cream

Rub on Pure + Simple Hydrating Serum

Finish with Pure + Simple Skin Drink Moisturizer

In the morning I splash my face with water, then:

I spritz my face with Pure + Simple Rose Hydrosol

Rub on Pure + Simple Hydrating Serum

Finish with Pure + Simple Skin Drink Moisturizer

After following this routine for a couple of weeks I no longer need to apply the serum or moisturizer after the Differin at night - my skin doesn't feel dry anymore. If it feels parched ill go back to the moisturizers at night - but for now this seems to work for me.

I can't say enough great things about Differin - it has only been about 6-8 weeks but my little face scars are gone, my skin feels so smooth - my nose feels soooo smooth! I can't believe the 180 my skin has done. I have yet to have an IB / purge and I'm hoping I don't get one. Good luck and stick with it!

by ctiffin on 07/28/2014 14:18
For the past couple of days my eyelids have been really dry and sore - I don't put the Differin on or near my eyes. Has anyone else experienced this?
So glad I stuck with it.
Reviewed on July 20, 2014

PATIENCE is key for when using differin. I was prescribed differin (0.1%) alongside benzoyl peroxide (2.5%). The first TWO months there was NO change at all, just the usual "purging" and breakout at the beginning. It wasn't until this past week when my skin DRASTICALLY changed. I no longer have closed comedones (which i have had for years!!!) I can't believe it, my skin has never been this clear and ... smooth! I used to be able to "feel" my blackheads and pores on my nose and forehead - not anymore. I don't even have blackheads anymore. What sort of sorcery is this?!?!? Its weird, I don't even recognize my own skin, haven't worn foundation in 2 weeks! Please don't give up, at least give differin a 3 month trial. It doesn't work as fast as benzoyl, but the final effect is huge!

I also want to note that I didn't experience a drying /irritation effect that many seem to have. I actually found benzoyl to be more drying, but I guess everyone is different. I use a cream based one, not clear gel. My doctor told me to use it at night on my forhead, nose and chin. I also had an extraction on the 2nd month mark just to get rid of the pesky deep closed comedones.

by Pip98 on 07/26/2014 01:57
I'm so glad this worked for you!!! I am on my 5th week of differin i cant really see a change its sorta worse actually but i never had a MAJOR initial breakout... is that what happened to you? So I should probably wait until 3 months and then it should start getting better? I thought it was getting better but it just got worse again so I guess its still purging or whatever... any advice? :)
I really wanted this to work :(
Reviewed on July 16, 2014

I was so happy when I was prescribed this!

I followed all the rules pea sized amount far away from nose and eyes. Even put vasilene on eyes before the application. But I experienced severe eczema and itchy eyes. It was horrible. I felt soooo gutted as so many people said it would work. Oh well just not worth the dry itchy eyes to me. I held out for 31 days. Also I became extremely oily and broke out on my forehead which is actually acne free. I know people say it only lasts a while but I thought it was worth mentioning. Hope this works for you. I had better luck with duac aka Clyndoxil.

Hopeful!
Reviewed on July 9, 2014

I'm 15 and have had moderate acne for about 2 years. I eat extremely healthy, work out and have had a continual face routine for about a year using asap and organic spa.

Nothing really helped so i went to the doctor. She prescribed me Eryacne and Differin. This was about 3 weeks ago now and i have read a lot of reviews on here saying how people were already seeing results in 1 week etc...

I havent had an IB but i have had flaky skin for about the first week but thats died down now.

Only reason why i'm worried is that i hope i start to see a change (good or bad!!) so i know that is working in some way...

Has anybody else had this happen? I just want to know how long it takes to see any change? Some people say a week and some say a month? Is that right? My face hasnt really changed at all!

So if anyone could let me know if this happened to them if they didnt see much change for 1 month or so and then it did help or not?

But i'm staying postive:)

by hodge19 on 07/13/2014 22:10
hey , im in thr same boat as you here haha ive had acne from the age if 13-18 and five months ago I was put on roaccutane or known as accutane and waw it does help although im getting minor breakouts which im stressing about and im using diffirin gel o.1% and yeah I dont know if its working or not either hahah
by Natasha van de Zand on 07/14/2014 00:32
In my case it was worse for the first couple of weeks...if you don t see any change it s worth the try to keep using it..i ve seen improvement after 2 months and a half,3 months...i m on my 6 month now of using and it s getting better and better...old scarrs are fading,fewer and smaller breakouts...just needs time to work.
by Pip98 on 07/15/2014 11:25
Thanks for that, yeah 3 weeks in now i havent had any new pimples except for 2 underskin ones and one whitehead next to my mouth. I was so stupid and i picked one of the underskin pimples (i never learn) and it has a massive brown scab now. Ugh this has happened to me before the first time i ever had one under skin one and i tried to squeeze it and it made a brown scab and i did it again! It didnt go away for months! I have now given the differin and eryacne another problem to work on! Smart me! Anyway i can sorta feel my skin getting smoother and my forehead is pimple free besides little whiteheads and the scars and red marks and black heads but i am hoping they will all fade over the next couple of months... The doctor did say 6 months (which would be close to christmas which is my aim: no pimples xmas day) so i am feeling positive and excited to wait the 6 months out and see how we go :) I will keep you all updated aswelll as for my personal recordings haha thanks guys :)
by Pip98 on 07/15/2014 11:31
Also just checking the title says differing gel but mines a cream like not transparent or anything .... Is it the same thing or what? Haha
Does its job
Reviewed on June 26, 2014

I have already used Differin two years ago but stopped after one month of using, my skin was doing very well and I experienced no breakouts for a long long long time. at my sophomore year my skin got bad and nothing changed it, so for one year I have used over the counter products and even though there was a certain clearing up it was short term

my dermatologist put me on this and It's been two days since I'm using this and I can see a large change even though I have experienced some breakouts, it did dry out a lot of my pimples and got rid of some of my scars, in my case the breakouts cause by differin weren't long lasting or inflamed just little redheads I might experience more purging however... I wanna warn you guys DO NEVER NEVER WAX ANY PART OF YOUR FACE when you're on differin you will regret it, always put sunscreen otherwise you will be left with very dark and deep scars that you will spend a lot of time on to fade, wash your face with a gentle cleanser and moisturise more than once, I use the super hydrating cream by SOSKIN twice a day just use a moisturiser that you think is nourishing enough (: good luck with this guys, maybe it can heal your acne, what no over the counter product ever will if you have serious acne

Patience and Work
Reviewed on June 23, 2014

When started using this treatment, it would worsen the acne on skin, which caused some trouble eliminating them, but later on, it would start to fade and lessen the appearance of the scarrings. But you will really NEED to wait for it to work. However, considering the price and the time needed to work, it isn't that worth it...

Acne becomes terrible with Differin
Reviewed on June 12, 2014

To start of, i had a mild-moderate acne and been on harsh soaps before then I started Differin 0.1% and Benzac (Benzoyl Peroxide) 0.5% application to my acne and Doxycycline oral antibiotics on May 17 as prescribed by my Dermatologist together with Cetaphil gentle cleanser. Only to find out that this product makes my acne worse than ever. On my 3rd week, i had Staph infection on my acne, there are pus-filled acne coming out and this made me really depressed. I got frustrated because i thought this could help me but it worsens everything. Got tired of spending so much time and money on this. I've read other reviews that this could take too long before it gets better. Well, i think i dont see the point of prolonging your agony on spending time with this product where you only see a short-term benefit. I need to try other product perhaps it may help like Kojic acid soap.

Worked amazingly for me - but only for a few years
Reviewed on June 5, 2014

My dermatologist prescribed me Duac & Differin topical creams (Duac for the morning and Differin at night). I remember getting an initial breakout from these creams but it didn't last too long. Within a couple of months my skin had cleared beautifully - I was so confident, hardly wore make up and when I did, would only use concealer for some scars and powder to control shine. Honestly, Differin worked amazingly for me.

HOWEVER, after about 2 years of using this product, my skin slowly but surely started to come back. Over a year it got so much worse and I gave in and went back to the dermatologist who has now put me on Dianette. I still use Dianette now, because I'm too scared not to and have also read that it is an excellent anti-wrinkle cream, as well as an acne treatment.

So, to sum up - Differin cleared me 99.9% (as well as Duac), but unfortunately was only temporary. Everybody's skin is different though, so it may clear YOU forever.