Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1330 reviews

Brand: Differin

Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel

Active Ingredients: Adapalene (0.1%). Inactive Ingredients: Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Works well
Reviewed on July 3, 2017

Nice product,, very effective in fading any PIH leftover from acne

Works
Reviewed on July 1, 2017

I use this if my skin is really bad and leave it on overnight and it has really helped with reducing the oil in my skin. However, I'd recommend every couple of nights, swap the gel for a moisturiser, this is how I've seen best results, and my skin has been a lot better because of it :)

Works really well!
Reviewed on May 22, 2017

I have acne rosacea which convinced me I wouldn't have clear skin until I am 35 (i am 25 now.) Pimples were not so much my issue but hyperpigmentation and scarring left me feeling like I would never have clear skin. I knew that retinoids were good for hyperpigmentation but my dermatologist wanted to stay away from them because I was not on a birth control plan (newly married) and he did not want to risk combining the medication and a possible pregnancy. Since this medication is now over the counter, I felt it was safe enough to apply with keeping in consideration that if I ever was headed the pregnancy route, I would stop. ANYWAYSSSS, THIS MEDICATION IS AMAZING. IT LEGITIMATELY CLEARED UP MY SKIN IN A WAY I HAVE NEVER SEEN SINCE MY FIRST PIMPLE. I was on the acne.org regime for 4 months that worked great but when I added differin I stopped using the benzoyl peroxide. Once my skin was used to the differin, I added benzoyl peroxide back into my routine but just in the morning. Therefore, I was using benzoyl peroxide in the morning (the smallest amount that is still effective) and differin at night. Once my skin was used to this routine (about 4 weeks), I added the glycolic acid AHA as a moisturizer a couple times a week and omg I cannot believe the results! I am very happy with this product and AM SO THANKFUL IT BECAME AN OVER THE COUNTER PRODUCT. THANK YOU GOD.!

Maybe not for sensitive skin
Reviewed on May 21, 2017

It cleared my skin entirely with maybe one new pimple in just a few days. I was very impressed. Then my skin was fire engine red, and peeling like crazy. (Yes, I am aware of retinization, but this was extreme.) My face was hot and IT BURNED!!! I was horribly embarassed to show my face in school, because no matter what I put on it it looked awful. I stopped it because I had an event coming up I didn't want to look bad for. Probably won't be trying again.

by pagiepooh on 07/20/2017 00:49
did you use a pea sized amount? i was recommended by a dermatologist and this product works great for me. i use every other day at night time after i've applied a moisturizer (cerave) all over my face. a pea sized amount gets distributed all over my face. it's quite easy to over-do it with retinA. be careful!
It didn't work for me
Reviewed on May 21, 2017

I've been using this cream nearly every night for about 5 months while also taking tetracycline antibiotic tablets and it has NOT improved my skin AT ALL. I'm so annoyed that my Gp never warned me that this product would make your acne much worse. After reading the 'purging' idea I kept thinking maybe it would work if i keep going at it for 3 months, but it did not.

Before using the gel my acne was in between moderate and severe and now it is definitely very severe, like a volcano not exaggerating, i'm in so much pain emotionally and physically. I had breakouts in every part of my face, so it did not clear my skin at all.

Therefore, I wouldn't advise anyone to use this gel, though it may work for others but for me it definitely did not, and i really don't think it is worth the risk, as you could end up like me. Now i have even more acne and scarring to sort out.

by CJ26 on 07/06/2017 20:59
You may already know this, but taking antibiotics can ruin your gut bacteria. Take a warning from me, someone who was on several kinds of antibiotics (including tetracycline) for about 10 years when I was in my teens (I'm now 39): I found out two years ago after suffering for a year from major inflammation and stomach/digestive discomfort that I have almost no diversity in my gut bacteria, which has caused major issues in my life. I'm sensitive to so many foods now (gluten and cow dairy, especially), so it's really hard to eat, well, anything. I don't enjoy food like I used to, now that my diet is so restricted. Please think about taking yourself off of the antibiotics.
by pagiepooh on 07/20/2017 00:54
i have very sensitive skin but use this product with ease. it's about how it's used. i use this product every other day and i don't use any other products like salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide because that would cause over-drying and irritation. i use the differin at night after i've moisturized with cerave. i only use a pea sized amount. i mean A TINY PEA. and distribute it all over my face a rub it in *gently*. i haven't experienced any irritation from this. in the past, i have tried antibiotics and they were no good for me. it will cause an imbalance. i use a super gentle cleanser (neutrogena hydro boost) with the cerave moisturizer twice a day. the cerave is great because it helps to rebuild the skin barrier. people with acne have been found to have a weakened skin barrier that's low in ceramides. cerave has ceramides. i was recommended this routine by a dermatologist and it has really helped me. good luck to you in your skin care journey!
Its not bad
Reviewed on May 15, 2017

I used adapalene for about a month and honest opinions here...it worked FINE. My acne did go away, but an occasional pimple showed up here and there. My scarring looked faded, but the problem is as soon as I stopped using this product, my face broke out, BUT not as bad as it did before. Therefore, good for temporary fixes and decrease of acne

by pagiepooh on 07/20/2017 00:57
try using this product every other night over a moisturizer. i was recommended cerave daily moisturizer by a dermatologist and it works fantastic. it has ceramides in it that help rebuild the skin barrier function. people who suffer with acne have been shown to have weakened skin barrier function, allowing harmful bacteria to enter the pores and cause infection. without a healthy skin barrier, we are doomed for breakouts and inflammation.
This stuff is amazing.
Reviewed on May 4, 2017

In a word: amazing.

Let's just get this out of the way... Yes, you have to use it consistently every single night for three months to see serious results. Yes, it can and probably will cause a horrific initial breakout. Yes, your skin is going to be difficult and irritated while it gets adjusted to the medicine. But it is so totally worth it... My skin has never looked this healthy. It is literally glowing after three months of use. My pores are actually free and clear of blockages and my skin looks beautiful and supple in regular sunlight. The texture, although crazy and peeling for the first 60 days or so, is now so soft and smooth. The tone and color has evened out and most of my sun damage (years of baking in the sun) and a lot of my fine lines are now just gone. I get compliments all the time. Give this stuff a try and don't give up... stick it out, it's worth it. I used Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% to help with the initial breakout in the mornings underneath my moisturizer. Don't over exfoliate while on it... try an AHA or BHA once a week at a low concentration. Definitely don't mechanically exfoliate as this will impede your progress... be very, very gentle with your skin.

by pagiepooh on 07/20/2017 01:02
it doesn't have to be that horrible. you can start out just using it every other night after applying a moisturizer. i also don't use this treatment in conjunction with other acne medication like salicylic acid/benzoyl peroxide because it most likely would cause irritation and inflammation. acne is an inflammatory skin condition and all efforts should be made to minimize irritation. i personally use a gentle, hydrating cleanser (neutrogena hydro boost gel cleanser) and the cerave daily moisturizer twice a day and it's the best thing i've ever done for my skin. i hate all neutrogena products besides this line. they really hit the nail on the head with this one. also, the cerave is a really great moisturizer because it has ceramides in it. the ceramides help to rebuild the skin barrier function. people with acne have been found to have damaged skin barriers and that allows for bad bacteria to enter our pores and cause infection. my skin feel hydrated, supple, clean, and calm after i have done this skin care routine. was recommended this routine by a dermatologist and couldn't be happier.
Gradual process
Reviewed on March 29, 2017

I've been using differin for about a month. I didn't see much irritation, but it might be because i mainly have small whiteheads and I only used it on my forehead. I have mild acne, but there has been a definite improvement. I barely have any inflamed pimples, and the whiteheads are much smaller. I use a organic and natural soap bar from Good Soap alaffia, and apply the differin afterwards for my nighttime routine. In the morning, i wash my face with the soap again. If you have mild/moderate acne and are willing to wait a few weeks for results, go for it!

by pagiepooh on 07/20/2017 01:05
when you say you are having breakout on your forehead, i wonder if you are using any hair product that comes in contact with your skin that could cause a buildup in the pores? also, be sure that you are using a shampoo and conditioner that isn't clogging your pores as well.
Finally! Something that really works!
Reviewed on February 24, 2017

I'm a 37 year old African-American woman. I have struggled with adult hormone-induced acne for nearly 15 years. Over the years, I have watched large areas of my flawless chocolate skin become overcome by dark stubborn scars around my jawline and on my cheeks. I have tried bleaching, exfoliants, proactiv, etc. But, nothing worked to remove them. Nothing. I saw a differin gel .1 commercial on BET. I immediately picked up a tube at Walmart. And I tell you, I saw results after only 2 days. No lie! Now, I'm 3 weeks in and my jawline (which had a dark spot about 5 inches wide), is 50% clear! My family and co-workers noticed without me saying anything. I feel like I'm alive again. I don't have to cover up as much. I highly recommend this product. Don't hesitate. Go get it!

by LowerTones on 04/07/2017 18:13
Why would you use bleaching on your "flawless chocolate skin"? Isn't bleaching to lighten one's skin? In my case, my flawless pure milky white complexion benefited marvelously from the medication.
by mdv12121212 on 04/27/2017 19:45
She meant that she "bleached" her skin to get rid of the unwanted dark scars left over from acne, not that she wanted to lighten her "flawless chocolate skin" to a lighter skin color.
Not bad
Reviewed on February 10, 2017

I have tried a lot of different stuff for my skin and had a pretty good regiment going on but then i decided to add AHA to take care of the whiteheads on my jaw. Unfortunately, it ended up making my skin purge. At least I eventually that's what was happening. At the time I was just upset that I was breaking out more.

So then I saw that Differin was on available without a prescription I decided to try it. I figured since I was already purging that it really wouldn't be that different than what I had going on. I'm on week 4 of using Differin and honestly it really isn't any worse than what I was going through before. Actually, the zits popping up now seem to come to a head and heal faster. My skin is a bit more sensitive and some of my moisturizers are making my skin burn a bit, but it's not too bad tbh.

My routine in the evening with the differin is a mild cleanser, then the differin, then some benzoyl peroxide, a serum and a moisturizer. Sometimes I'll use a bit of bha liquid from Paula's Choice on my more problem areas that aren't generally dry and flakey.

If you're using this product and getting really bad dry skin, try getting some sheet masks off of amazon. I use them at the end of my routine after the differin is already on.

by pagiepooh on 07/20/2017 01:12
i'd say that you're using too many products on your skin. i was recommended differin by a dermatologist but my skin care routine and how i use the differin gel is much different than how you use it. i use a mild cleanser twice a day (neutrogena hydro boost). i have hated all neautrogena products before this one. this cleanser is super gentle, actually cleans your skin/removes makeup and somehow leaves the skin feeling hydrated. after i cleanse, i go in with the cerave daily moisturizer. this is an amazing moisturizer because it has ceramides in it and promotes healthy skin barrier function. i cleanse and moisturize twice a day and use the differin gel every other night over moisturizer. i use a TINY PEA SIZE amount all over my face. according to the dermatologist, that's all you should be using. it's easy to go over-board with acne medication and i fear thats what you're doing. you're most likely stripping your skin of it's natural barrier and leaving it vulnerable to bacteria that cause infection. be kind to your skin. restore it to it's healthy form.