Differin Adapalene (0.1%) Gel reviews

3.3/5 - 1266 reviews

Brand: Differin

Adapalene (0.1%).

Carbomer 940, edetate disodium, methylparaben, poloxamer 182, propylene glycol, purified water and sodium hydroxide.

Please help
Reviewed on September 27, 2014

I'm on 4months using differin but until now I didn't see change yet. My skin is so hot and peeling this is the side effect too?

by Pip98 on 10/15/2014 10:42
Oh my goodness so glad there is someone else in the same boat as me. I have been using to for four months as well and it seemed to get better and worse and now its getting really bad again.. I'm losing hope:(
Couldn't deal with the instant purging
Reviewed on September 26, 2014

Tried to switch from Zineryt liquid lotion to Differin due to how difficult the Zineryt was to apply. The idea of an easy, one a day cream was great. However, unfortunately after just two days I switched straight back.

My skin was redder than ever, covered in spots and white heads were popping up so fast it was unbelievable.

However, I have no doubt that this product would work in the long time. I just couldn't take my skin getting in worse at that time. Try Zineryt lotion for instant drying of spots.

1 month in...
Reviewed on September 16, 2014

I took Accutane and my skin stayed clear for 1.5 years. During this time I was just using normal face wash and Aczone prescription, exfoliating, etc. About a month ago my skin just went nuts. It started getting really oily and I started noticing a considerable increase in "congestion". I had lots of blackheads and absolutely riddled with closed comedones. My skin overall and had an extremely oily and bumpy look to it, but wasn't breaking out into inflammed zits. So like I said, about a month ago I went back to the derm and she suggested Differin. She mention Aczone will not address the bumps under the skin, but Differin will. She suggested I continue using Aczone during the day, but Differin at night. The first week my skin went nuts with large zits and some cystic acne, which I have not had since pre accutance. Now that I am in what I think is week 4 or 5, the big zits are gone, but it's like every single bump on my face is red. Red acne scars have also been taking FOREVER to fade. It's absurd. I've read Differin "purges", but is this normal?

just be patient ^_^
Reviewed on September 14, 2014

It really works from me, i'm using it for about 2 months (april and may) and stop and my blackheads on my nose came back. Then I decided to use it again I have been it from now for almost 1 week and my face starts to clear it again. I do have oily face and no need to use a moisturizer except for applying non comedogenic sunscreen like cetaphil in morning. For my facial wash, I've been in a trust of benzac daily foaming wash which is supposed to be in acne oily facial skin and its true ^_^ then after washing I apply soothing toner with aloe vera and chamomile extract you should do this every morning afterwards apply sunscreen. In evening just wash your face with your facial wash then apply a thin coat of differin gel.. and thats it ^_^

A friggen miracle
Reviewed on September 14, 2014

This stuff has worked wonders for my face! This is gonna be a long review (don't say you haven't been warned)!

I used to have moderate acne with occasional bouts of cystic acne. I had visited my dermatologist about two years ago and she prescribed me Retin-A. It had worked for my mother when she was my age, so I figured it would be the same for me. I was oh so very wrong. I stuck with Retin-A for almost 3 months, and in that time, my acne not only failed to improve, but got drastically worse. Instead of occasional appearances of cystic acne, it became a regular presence on my face, particularly my cheeks. Eventually, I stopped using the stuff, and I thought my skin would start to heal itself. Unfortunately, Retin-A seemed to have done more than I thought, and normal zits would form on top of deep, cystic zits. I didn't want to start back on Retin-A, and I didn't want to keep doing nothing, so, I called my regular doctor and scheduled an appointment with her. I told her that my dermatologist had prescribed Retin-A and had resulted in the warzone that was my face. My doc told me to try Differin. As skeptical as I was, my skin had gotten to the point where it was painful even when nothing was touching it. So, I picked up a tube.

It was the best decision of my (dermatological) life. Within a week most of the surface acne was gone, and some of the cystic acne had started to heal as well. By the end of the third week, the majority of my acne was gone (except for a few blackheads on the nose), and the scars from my disastrous Retin-A experience (both psychological and physical) had even started to fade. I still use Differin today, on and off. Even when I'm not using Differin every night, my skin stays relatively acne free. When I am using Differin, my skin is practically pimple-free. Seriously guys, Differin works (well, for me, anyways).

The worst
Reviewed on September 11, 2014

I cant stand this gel, it leaves my face burned!! it hurts so much.

Drastically Worsened Acne
Reviewed on August 19, 2014

I have suffered on and off with acne for my whole life. I had previously cured my (relatively mild) acne with gentle skincare regime and benzoyl peroxide. Eventually I stopped using the benzoyl peroxide treatment and in 5-6 months my acne started to return in the form of bumps under my skin which I initially thought was a reaction to a product. This progressed to a few active spots and breakouts; seeing that my acne may be returning I went to my GP. He was concerned that either my acne was returning or I had a bacterial infection and so prescribed my a Tetracycline antibiotic and Differin. I used Differin for around 6 weeks before I couldn't take it any more. I know this product is a retinoid and can cause skin "purging" but this was way beyond that. I would wake up to increasingly inflamed, reactive skin and cystic acne and whitehead breakouts in area's I had never previously broken out in my life. Eventually the amount of scarring and hyper-pigmentation this stress on my skin was causing became too much and I quit the treatment. After a gap of around 2 weeks I have since begun treatment with Duac 5% Benzoyl Peroxide cream. It has been 3 weeks and already my skin is starting to show some improvement. Please be careful with Differin, it ruined my skin.

Good product, but you have to be patient
Reviewed on August 24, 2014

Differin or adapaleno is a good product, but You have to be patient, and persistent if you wanna see change. Don't give up and continue using this product if you are in the 3rd month, because is when this product begins to work. I have 8 month using adapaleno and clindamicin and mi face is much better, My acne was moderate, and now I just have a few blackheads. I'm so happy now :D, and remember you are beatifull in your way. Ah! Sorry for my english, I just speak a little bit.

Pointless
Reviewed on August 23, 2014

I honestly do not know why I was prescribed this medication; it literally did nothing for my acne; made my acne worse. Caused more blackheads/clogged pores.

Not sure
Reviewed on August 15, 2014

I'm 24 have had acne on and off since a teenager trying lots of different creams anti-biotics... Last years before Christmas I had an extremely bad break out of acne over my face, chest and back after trying a a couple of different treatments eventually i found the antibiotic Oxytetracyline after about 3 months if being on it my skin cleared I am still carrying it on in fear it will come back.

In this time I went to a dermatologist and this is when she recommended differin adapaline to carry on long time during and after my antibiotic course. The problem is I have tried a couple of times to start this product out the longest I have lasted is about a week as my skin seemed to get flaky and try break out even more... Is it worth me sticking it out through this.

Also I do used sun beds every other week or so and I will struggle to give this up, help?

by 30roq on 08/17/2014 02:52
It works awesome for me but I use it in combination with Estée Lauder day wear SPF 15. You really should not be exposing your face to sun unprotected on this stuff. Makes your skin super photo sensitive and can cause acne to worsen due to your skins natural defense of secreting oil when it thinks it is irritated/dry
by valerieisastar on 08/17/2014 20:40
It does work. I had the same problem. My face hurt, broke out, and was flaky. I looked like a snake shedding its skin. I found that a "ultra gentle hydration cleanser" from Neutrogena and a "oil free moisture for sensitive skin" from Neutrogena soothed my skin and really quickly moisture my skin. Use both of these products daily morning and night you will see a difference! So when adding differin into the routine at night you wash your face, apply differin wait for that to dry, then put the lotion on over the differin. This combination really works better then any other I have tried. I can not stress that enough! It has made my skin soft, and less irritated, and no longer flakes. Its so hydrated now and it doesn't interfere with differin. Hope this works! Wish some one would have told me about this routine alot sooner!