Page 3 of Dianette Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.6/5 - 370 reviews

Cyproterone acetate 2 mg, ethinylestradiol 35 micrograms.

Lactose, maize starch, povidone, talc, magnesium stearate, sucrose, polyethylene glycol 6000, calcium carbonate, glycerol, montan glycol wax, titanium dioxide (E171), and yellow iron oxide (E172).

Reviewed on January 3, 2013

I've never had amazing skin, but at the age of 23 I developed full blown acne out of the blue. I tried several courses of antibitoics and creams such as benzyl peroxide but nothing worked. After much convincing, I managed to get my Doctor to put me on Diannete, even though I'm classified as obsese. I was so depressed about my skin I decided to accept the risks and go for it anyway. It's been three months now and I've noticed some change, although I'd still my acne is still quite bad. I've noticed that my skin goes through spells of being really clear and then really bad. I'm not sure if anyone else found this? Anyway, I'm going to stick with it as I don't want to go on Roacutane and hope that in time my skin improves. Fingers crossed!

Reviewed on December 17, 2012

I started taking Dianette for moderate acne after semi successfully using antibiotics and topical treatments.

While I was taking the pill my acne completely disapeared and my skin was much, much clearer. I took this medication for about a year and a half at least, in which time it was very succesful. However as you're not meant to be on this pill for extended lengths of time (usually only about one year I think) I changed to Yasmine as my doctor thought this would also help prevent acne. When I switched to Yasmine after about 4 months the odd spot started to come up on my face every now and again. This gradually got to be about 3-5 spots on my face 6 months after switching to Yasmine. I stopped taking Yasmine after 7 months because it wasn't preventing my acne and it didn't controll my periods properly (e.g. sometimes they would come on very lightly, but while I was still in the pill taking weeks). After stopping this prescription my acne came back gradually, and after 5 months of stopping the Yasmine (1 year of stopping the dianette) I had severe acne. It was far more inflamed than acne I've had before and moved to different parts of my face, mainly around my cheeks and temples. In my opinion Dianette works, but is not a long term solution. And Yasmine didn't work for me as an acne treatment. I'm now on a course on Accutane.... lets see how that goes.

Reviewed on November 23, 2012

This did clear my acne after around 12 weeks - you must be patient and give it time. I have heard some people have had a large weight gain on this pill, but I can say that my weight has remained the same. However I have lost all tone in my body and seem to be constantly bloated around my stomach. After 10 hours of sleep I still wake up tired. I've been on this pill for 18 months (after literally trying everything!) and I'm beginning to consider coming off it, but I've done research and am aware that acne often returns worse than before, meaning an immediate course of treatment must be prepared. There are also major health risks involved.

I would recommend this if you really feel you have no other option. I can't deny that it helped my acne.

Reviewed on October 19, 2012

I am 29. This is my second time on Dianette. The first time, 4 years ago, I went on Dianette for a year. My skin was amazing, my boobs got bigger, I hardly gained weight. But I noticed it made me slightly depressed after about 6 months on it, and this got worse. So I switched to Yasmine which kept my skin under control after Dianette had kick started my clear skin. Yasmine didn't effect my mood, so I stayed on Yasmine for 2.5 years.

(Note: I did not go from Dianette to NO PILL at all, which I believe can lead to acne returning v severely. Instead I transitioned to Yasmine, which kept my acne under control)

Then, about 8 months ago while still on Yasmine my acne came back. I recognized the signs, lumps appearing, so switched from Yasmine straight back to Dianette. I have been on Dianette now for 8 months, and my skin is amazing. My boobs went up a size. I gained 3-4 lbs in first 2 months but I now I am back to normal weight, possibly skinnier. (And for me clear skin more important than gaining a few lbs anyway.)

My MOOD has been completely normal this time round. I feel great. But I watch myself closely. My doc says 6 months on Dianette would be enough to give me good skin for a year or more anyway, but am in no rush to come off it now.

SEX DRIVE- no change. If anything, it's increased. I was once on Microgynon which left me with no sex drive at all, and also made me depressed, so I know the signs.

If you have Acne I feel there is no better treatment.

Good luck.

Reviewed on August 28, 2012

I started using dianette after years of trying to control my stubborn acne with antibiotics and topical medications. Eventually everything I tried stopped working and my acne got worse and worse. I was absolutley fed up and saw my only option as roaccutane which I felt was very drastic and carried too many side effects.

The doctor recommended dianette and I was a bit worried about messing with hormones so I stalled the decision a bit. In the end we decided to give it a try and I've never looked back!

Within 2-3 months my skin was completely clear (first time in years!) My periods were much lighter and shorter and I suffer much less from mood swings. I feel more positive and energetic (probably from having more confidence)

I've read plenty of scare stories about this pill. and I am well aware of the risks of dianette. I have my blood pressure checked regularly and keep an eye on any warning symptoms.

Takign dianette is not a decision anyone should take lightly and it should definately be discussed well with a doctor but in my experience there's no need be overly scared.

I do wish I didn't have to resort to taking synthetic hormones but that's the way it is. I am very pleased with the results dianette has given me.At the end of the day, you do have to remember that it is a medication and like any medication there can be side effects. It may not be for everyone but it certainly has worked for me and I would recommend giving it a try at least.

Reviewed on August 2, 2012

Only on my tenth day today so still early to comment on my skin , my skins looking worse ATM so it either means Im having an initial breakout on dianette or the lymecycline Ive been on for last two weeks could be doing that !