Page 2 of Dianette Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.6/5 - 373 reviews

Cyproterone acetate 2 mg, ethinylestradiol 35 micrograms.

Lactose, maize starch, povidone, talc, magnesium stearate, sucrose, polyethylene glycol 6000, calcium carbonate, glycerol, montan glycol wax, titanium dioxide (E171), and yellow iron oxide (E172).

Nightmare!
Reviewed on November 18, 2013

After struggling for acne for years I was prescribed dianette.. it worked pretty quickly and cleared up most of my acne. It completely cleared up the minor acne I had on my back, but I still had a few pimples on my cheeks and forehead. However, this pill completely changed my personality, I had terrible mood swings, I would cry every single day for hours, I ended up fighting with my boyfriend and throwing things (which is completely not in me to do, usually), I began self harming and making myself sick.. I had suicidal thoughts and most days I'd just lay in bed all day crying. I know it works differently for everyone, but if you think you may be susceptible to depression or it runs in your family, I would completely avoid Dianette. Even though it made my skin clearer and made my breasts go up three cup sizes, it's not worth it. My acne also came back full force when I stopped taking it, it was twice as bad as before and began spreading across my shoulders even.

Dissapointing
Reviewed on November 12, 2013

My doctor prescribed me dianette and the day after I started taking it I had the worst migraine I've ever had in my entire life, every time I stood up or sat down I felt like I was going to pass out and I had a constant thumping in my head. I didn't associate the migraines with dianette so I continued to take it for another couple of weeks. I then made an appointment with my doctor about the migraines, and we discovered that my blood pressure was extremely high due to the dianette. She told me to stop taking the tablets immediately and that I was never to take tablets containing estrogen ever again. I didn't see an improvement in my skin, but I wasn't taking the tablets for very long, they may have helped if I'd continued to take them but couldn't cope with the headaches!

Great first time, not so great second time
Reviewed on October 24, 2013

I first started this years ago and it cleared me up and gave me amazingly flawless skin. Unfortunately I had to come off it for 2 years, when I started again it didn't make any difference to my acne.

I don't even want to give it 1 star!
Reviewed on October 16, 2013

I started suffering from acne when i was about 13 years old. After a couple of years of 'dealing' with it my mum took me to the dr's to see what could be done. He put me on Dianette straight away and i stayed on it for the next 14 years!! It cleared my acne up within about 3 months and i thought it was the best thing ever. My boobs got huuuge and i put on a bit weight which i could handle at the time. 10 years later i met my now current boyfriend who, after a few months of being with him made a few comments about my mood swings, not so high sex drive and general unhappiness. I'd never noticed it before, i guess because i'd been on it for such a long time and from a very young age. I ignored his comments for a while but after 3 years he told me he couldn't handle it anymore and either i come off Dianette or try a different one or the relationship is over. I stopped taking the pill in December 2012....after about a month my hair got super greasy and started to fall out in clumps. My spots returned with a vengeance, massive cysts along my jawline and neck, small bumps covering my forehead. I must have cried for about 2weeks solid. This continued for about 6 months but i persevered. i probably lost about half of my hair within the 6 months...it was devastating! However back in August something changed...it felt like a huge weight has been lifted, i'm so happy for no reason whatsoever! My hair has stopped falling out and i have a lot of regrowth coming through. I still get a couple of spots but i'm happy to accept them! My sex drive is crazy, i'm happy and positive about life and i honestly cannot remember ever feeling like this. It makes me angry as i can't help but think i have wasted alot of years being unhappy and negative whereas if i never went on Dianette in the first place could my life have been different??

For anybody contemplating going on this pill i would strongly recommend you try everything else possible first

by weetillie on 08/15/2014 17:58
Coming off Dianette is a nightmare. My skin is just as bad if not worse and my hair is falling out, what are you taking for your skin now ?
Long term use with no problems
Reviewed on August 29, 2013

I was prescribed Dianette when i was 17 as a method of birth control and to help with the symptoms of PCOS, especially acne and facial hair. I have stayed on it ever since and i am now 35. I have never had any problems with it and use it as a contraceptive as well as to reduce my androgen levels. It didn't entirely eradicate my acne or my facial hair, so i was prescribed Roaccutaine for my skin (worked but TERRIBLE side effects and the acne returned) and i have spent a small fortune privately on laser hair removal for my face, which helps but ultimately the hair still grows back, albeit less coarse. Having been on Dianette for 18 years i am reluctant to come off as my androgen levels are still above normal and I can't face (pardon the pun!) the thought of my skin and hairiness getting worse. I havent had the side effects that some reviewers mention as far as I know and if you've lived with a hairy, spotty face before, you'll understand my reluctance to mess with my hormones again now that things are relatively stable and the spots and hair are at a level I can manage. On balance, i would say it is worth giving it a go, just be patient as it really does take a few months to have an impact on acne and even longer for hirsutism. All the best!

Worst pill I have been on
Reviewed on August 25, 2013

Where do I start, have been on the contraceptive pill since April 2011, I went on the pill as my periods were awful, and I mean sometimes on going non stop on for a month, the doctor said it seems I have mild scale of pcos ( polycystic ovary syndrome ) he put me on a pill to help correct my periods and apparently the pill is good to go on If you have pcos . I started off on microgynon which I was on for 6 months, unfortunately it made me very moody, emotional etc, I then went on femodette which I have actually been ok on and have been taking up until two weeks ago, I spoke to a gynecoligyst who said I should in no way be on femodette as it is not good for pcos. ( I also explained to him how I always feel weak, lethargic, exhausted, tired, groggy and I can't lose weight, not over weight but would like to lose a few pounds) I've had various blood tests trying to find out why I always felt so weak, lethargic and groggy ( as in greasy, sluggish etc, and I eat very well & excercise so I didn't understand why I felt this way! ) blood tests showed no results as to why I felt weak 24/7! ( I'm only 18 ) so, the gynecoligyst told me to come off femodette and go on the evil dianette ( BIG MISTAKE ) I started dianette after my week break having my period, I started dianette on the 14th of August and I can honestly say its been the worst pill I have been on. I have felt 10000x worse than before!! emotional, 100x more greasy, 100x more weak than I was before, hugely bloated, so so exhausted, tired, lethargic, light headed, HUGELY Increased my appetite. It also interrupted with my sleeping! I couldn't even sleep at night,my body would never shut off properly and go in to full state of sleep no matter what. I felt miserable and It caused me to have severe headaches too. I heard pills high in oestrogen can cause fatigue ( tiredness etc ) which this pill has. So I call doctor friday 23rd because by then ive had enough of the way I feel, she says if I THINK its the dianette pill causing this,to just stop taking it until I see her next week, I was 50/50 on whether to stop taking it suddenly or wait until ive had the rest of the pack. I wasn't sure if to take the rest and see how I go. But I decided that friday morning to not take it. Friday evening I had an amazing sleep for the first time in ages! I slept all night long! next day ( saturday ) I had work all day which I dreaded as i thought I would feel weak and lethargic as always.. Well guess what, day two off the pill and I felt NORMAL all day! I could actually work! no weakness, no tiredness, no tears,

no headaches, I felt good! Happier.I have put it all down to the pill, & dianette was 100x worse, So this pill certainly is NOT a pill I recommend at all! Maybe my body does not like the pill no matter what one it is, but dianette I can honestly say made

all my problems 100x worse. I have heard this pill is one of the most high risk pills too. No no no!

Didn't work but could for you.
Reviewed on July 24, 2013

I was on dianette for around three months for my moderate acne. During those three months my skin got a million times worse to the point in which i needed a dermatologist referral and am now on accutane. This wasn't the worst part of it though, It also really interfered with my moods. I became a very different person while i was on this, it made me very upset and angry. I had went from being quite a bubbly happy person to being really down all the time.My flatmates would agree and felt as though i was a different person when i was on it (they also got the brunt of my anger, poor them!). As soon as i came off it within a few weeks i felt as though a huge cloud had cleared and finally felt like myself again. Although this happened to me it doesn't mean the medication will not work for you. I know other people who have successfully been on it and not had any of the side effects i had. My one piece of advice for people on it is be aware of your moods and also tell someone else to look out for you because sometimes you can't judge for yourself.

by weetillie on 08/15/2014 18:01
hi how is roaccutane working for you ? i am coming off dianette and my doctor is trying to get me to take tetrocycline which i know doesnt work in the long run.
Helps
Reviewed on June 27, 2013

I took Dianette for over 8 months (I actually still take it now but in conjunction with Accutane).

It helped improve my skin considerably, If you're on it now then have patience, it took about six months to really kick in.

by weetillie on 08/15/2014 18:02
how is roaccutaine working for you ? any side effects ?
Worst stuff ever.
Reviewed on June 10, 2013

I'd never recommend dianette to anyone in my life. I took it for six months & yes it did clear my acne & I no longer had oily skin, however, it took the full six months to see any improvement. It completely wasn't worth it for me & it's the worst decision I've made in my life as it gave me extreme anxiety, I was depressed & I was constantly crying.

I wish my doctor would have told me that my acne would come back with vengeance after stopping taking it. Within three months of going off it (you cannot stay on this pill for very long due to the side effects) my skin worse than ever. Not only does my face now breakout a million times worse, I have back & chest acne which I've never experienced before. I now have even worse self confidence/self esteem than pre-pill as I'm yet to find anything to help my chest/bacne. To anyone considering it: if you're acne is hormonal it will probably clear your skin up wonderfully. However, it isn't a long term solution & having it return worse than ever completely isn't worth it. Hate myself for ever taking this.

not sure
Reviewed on June 8, 2013

i have just finsihed my fourth month i know people say it takes up to 6 months.but i have been reading reviews and people say their skin was clear after a few months :O i have noticed only a slight improvment on my face i also have acne all over my back,shoulders wich ends above my elbow and on my chest(its very bad) there hasnt been any improvment on thoose areas.i have been feeling so depressed over my acne because its summer and everyones in their swimsuites and wearing tee shirts and dresses that i cant wear because of my skin :( i really hpe it clears up my acne but im doubting it will