Dianette Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.5/5 - 379 reviews
Dianette Oral Contraceptive

Cyproterone acetate 2 mg, ethinylestradiol 35 micrograms.

Lactose, maize starch, povidone, talc, magnesium stearate, sucrose, polyethylene glycol 6000, calcium carbonate, glycerol, montan glycol wax, titanium dioxide (E171), and yellow iron oxide (E172).

JUST A LITTLE PATIENCE
Reviewed on May 13, 2015

I was out of pills Dec2014 and come Feb2015, I started to have acnes. I have never had any acne problems before.. I've always had that 'porcelain' skin every girl dreams of so having them makes me feel so down and depressed because I don't know how to deal with it. After 2 weeks, they're all over my face and ofcourse I started freakin out. So I bought Dianette and guess what! MARCH and APRIL were the worst monthe ever. Everyday I wake up with 2-3 NEW CYSTIC acnes on my cheeks and forehead! I felt so depressed and started reading reviews here. And everyone said just be patient cause it takes 3-4 months before it does its magic and YES! On my 3rd pack, acne stopped showing on my face! I'm now back to having the smooth skin I've always had though I still have those nasty marks (ANYONE RECOMMENDS A GOOD ACNE SCAR REMOVAL REMEDY OR PRODUCT?) it's already been 2 weeks and I havent had any single acne on my skin! Yeehhhheeey!

So girls, JUST BE PATIENT. It does wonders. ;)

TERRIBLE
Reviewed on May 11, 2015

Took these for contraception and GOT ACNE !!!! SERIOUS DEPRESSION ON THIS PILL !!!

Came straight off them and my skin became healthy again but do not take unless your willing to persist with getting a lot worse skin for months before you see improvement !!!

Please dont ever go on this drug, its just not worth ruining your life
Reviewed on March 16, 2015

Please don't go on this drug, its a trap. You get good skin but a lifetime of emotional turbulence & depression that is likely to ruin your life far more than acne. I was on Dianette for 8 long miserable years and just assumed being emotional/ psychotic/ constantly fighting to feel content & happy was just part of growing up. Turns out Dianette stole some of my best years causing depression and making life just constantly a tough battle. Since I've come off dianette life has been amazing and the sky is my limit, I'm now the successful/ happy/ motivated and confident girl i used to be before i went on Dianette! If you start taking it, keep a diary of your moods so you can keep track of any damage its causing to your mental health.

In progress
Reviewed on April 27, 2014

Currently on my third pack,can clearly see the improvment,it works slowly but surely!

Didn`t break me out more at the start,skin condition was pretty much the same,but when started pack 2 slowly could see improvment.

Only thing I noticed after first 2 weeks-skin got less oily.

I also had small break outs in my breast area and on my shoulders right before my period- that cleared up completely in 2 weeks as well,and it seems like I`m not breaking out there at all!

Only bad side effects I noticed on myself is being moody and easily annoyed,also mid headaches and constantly feeling like puking in the first month. After first month,side effects were gone.

As in for my period- didn`t see any changes,I think my period even got longer,but still get cramps.

Definitely speak to your doctor,the pill might not work for everyone and side effects are different for each person,only thing if you really do get bad side effects and they don`t dissapear after a month,better talk to your doctor,you don`t have to suffer and he\she might find something different that will work for you,don`t give up :)

UPDATE- After being on Dianette for a bit more than a year my skin is wonderful. I came off Dianette 4 months ago due to extreme mood swings which eventually lead to depression.As I say- I dont think Dianette was the cause of my depression but I do believe the hormones were a final push. If you for some reason experience extreme mood swings or depression symptoms,please come off the pill immediately as it will get worse.

Reviewed on February 2, 2015

honestly I can not explain how much I would recommend people NOT to go on this drug.. I'm not somebody who usually reads reviews or gets swayed by the reviews people write but honestly I wish I would have listened..

Dianette may have been the WORST drug anybody has ever put me on. It first started when I went to the doctors because my skin was getting more flair ups than usual and it was quite distressing as I had tried antibiotics and also topical treatments..

after the first week of it I felt quite radgy and adgitated and usually I am a happy cheerful person but I just took a horrible turn and became extremely moody anxious and feeling depressed.. and the worst thing was my skin was getting worse and worse and I have never had as bad skin problems.. it was worse than ever before and the reason I went on it was to sort my skin out! after 4 months my skin was almost cystic, I was depressed because of my skin and the hormone effect the drug had taken and to make it even worse I had gained 1 stone.

WORST! I would not recommend at all, your body is precious and you should not change your hormones especially if youre a teen dealing with puberty! obviously everybody is different but I wanted to share my story of this because I regret taking this tablet so much!

Pros don't outweigh cons
Reviewed on January 26, 2015

For me, the cons of dianette definitely outweigh the pros. Although it did completely clear my acne, it took nearly a year to do so. Within the first few months of taking the pill I started getting hot and cold flashes which worsened with time. I also found that I became very anxious and paranoid whilst taking dianette, although I only noticed this after I stopped taking it. I have been on my new pill, cilest, for around 3 months now and as well as keeping my skin clear I am not feeling depressed, bloated, and nauseous like I was with dianette. My hot and cold flashes are starting to lessen, although I still get them from time to time- for me this was the most frustrating side effect of dianette which no one else seemed to get?! My advice would be to definitely consider the pros and cons of dianette, had I been informed about them by my doctor I would not have taken it.

by reden96 on 01/26/2015 23:53
I am wondering whether my hot flashes are a sign of high blood pressure which many others have listed as a side effect of taking dianette. Will have to get a blood test soon
Saved my skin with no side effects
Reviewed on January 2, 2015

Hello,

I developed acne when I was 13 and it just never went away. It destroyed my confidence. When I was 25 (after years of the doctors fobbing me off saying I would grow out of it) I was in having an appointment with the nurse (ear infection) when she asked how long I had the acne for. I told her 12 years and she was shocked a doctor had never offered me treatment. She made me an appointment with the doctor about it so finally a doctor would have to do something about it.

The doctor prescribed Dianette. I was taking it for three months without any real affect and I was suffering from some depression (though that might partially be from the fact my acne wasnt going!) It got really bad, I wouldnt even go out with my friends. In month four my skin started clearing up and the depression went completely. My periods are much lighter and shorter and I dont get PMS or cramps.

In the week off your skin doesnt change so if thats a concern for others I didnt notice a difference.

The doctor started threatening to take me off it at about the year point but when I spoke to the nurse she said if I have no history of depression/cancer/DVT ect; then there shouldnt be a reason to take me off it. I have no side effects from it, in fact its improved my life no end. I asked about the increased risk in clots/cancer ect; and she said all pills come with that, and since she was a teenager in the seventies they have been told horror stories about the pill which she has never seen come to fruition. There was all sorts saying it caused breast cancer, but she said now we know about the hereditary gene so it cant be ruled out thats what we had seen the whole time.

In all she said the increased risk is small and comes with every pill, so why take someone off a pill that is helping so much? All medicines and pills come with possible effects but it doesnt stop us taking them if the good outweighs any small risk.

If you do get depression that carries on into about month 4 or 5 I would say come off it, this is probably the most serious and probable side effect. If you have history of depression or it runs in your family dont take it!!

Its not for everyone - but we are all different...
Reviewed on December 12, 2014

At 39 and years of moderate acne, I have started Dianette along with Oxytetracyclin. I am sick of feeling ugly and spotty and I was becoming obsessed with my skin. I felt people were looking at my spots and not at me. I tried everything and spent hundred of pounds on treatments and products! I think if you are going to get acne there is nothing you can do. It isn't down to what you eat, its your physical make up/the way you are!

I've been on Oxy for 6 weeks now and have just finished my first pack of Dianette. I'm not sure what I think which is why I'm reading these reviews!! in the first week my skin was amazing,,,,,happy wasnt the word!! Then it started to clear out and get spottier. My acne is slowly getting better but I have still had the odd BIG spot. Maybe its still too early to tell.

Regarding Dianette - I was frightened to take this with all the horror stories and being 39. However I have never smoked, I don't suffer from depression, I don't have family history of breast cancer or dvt and my bp is low. So I went for it and made my friend promise to tell me if my personality changed! I have to say, I feel fine, absolutely no different to normal. I will be more vigilant with bp checks and smear tests etc but so far so good. AND...my hair and skin isn't as greasy! Only downside is my boobs ache a bit. I am hoping they will grow a bit!

I guess everyone is different, I will persevere with Dianette as I REALLY want clear skin - I hate being the spotty one!

I would just say be aware of all the side effects and if you suspect any, then be safe and come off of it.

by kelinci on 01/22/2015 09:59
did you gain weight while taking dianette?
feel like giving up
Reviewed on November 28, 2014

I never had terrible skin as a young teenager, it wasn't not until my late teens where I used antibiotics to help keep my skin clear as i tended to get a few under the skin sore, hard spots. I'm now into my first year of my 20's and i can honestly say I've never felt so rubbish about myself, so i went to the doctors and he prescribed me with Dianette. With the first strip of pills i didn't see a decrease on the amount of acne spots on my face, they're still sore, hard and very red..in my opinion they're much, much worse. I've just started my second strip of pills but i don't know whether to give up! I'm also one of those people who has a very short fuse, and currently I feel it's at the shortest it's ever been, i cannot seem to control my behavior.

by vic13 on 01/02/2015 11:21
hello, I have been on this contraception pill for two years now. My skin is amazing! I developed acne when I was 13 and still had it at 25. It depressed me so much, I went to the doctor and asked for anything that could help. For the first four months it didnt seem to make a difference then all of a sudden I stopped getting spots and my skin was less oily. Its incredible, I hardly get anything now I cant remember a time my skin was like this. In around months 2 and 3 I started to get bad depression and mood swings and was going to give it up but once I got into month four that went too. Now I dont get any depression or mood swings, no side effects at all! I spoke to the doctor about it and he said that sounds about right for how long it takes your body to adjust to hormones and one skin cycle takes a month which is why you dont see a difference for a few months. He was a bit worried about the depression but it hasnt come back for 2 years...probably because I dont have acne anymore! I hope this helps, if there are no side effects please keep trying for at least 4-6 months and see if the change happens for you.
by SammieRobertsXx on 02/02/2015 00:36
I was the same my skin was worse than ever on dianette and I couldn't deal with the short temper! after 3 months I had to stop because I felt so down and my skin was almost cystic! I have now gone back to tetracycline and topical skin treatment and my skins better than ever! no moods either!
Worth trying
Reviewed on November 11, 2014

I took Dianette for 18 months for acne. I didn't have any bad side effects, although I was a bit achey the first month or so, this wore off. It didn't do wonders for my acne but it did calm it down quite a lot. I say it's worth trying (especially if you take a contraceptive pill anyway) as it did help, and others have had great success.

I have since come off Dianette and went onto Cilest, which I would highly recommend as it cleared my skin up within a month. (Unfortunately I got really bad water retention so now have to switch after 4 months, and I'm gutted to come off it, but others may not get this side effect :) )