Dianette Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.5/5 - 394 reviews

Brand: Dianette

Dianette Oral Contraceptive

Cyproterone acetate 2 mg, ethinylestradiol 35 micrograms.

Lactose, maize starch, povidone, talc, magnesium stearate, sucrose, polyethylene glycol 6000, calcium carbonate, glycerol, montan glycol wax, titanium dioxide (E171), and yellow iron oxide (E172).

Didn't work for me.
Reviewed on August 7, 2016

Taking dianette was a horrible experience for me.

I am 16 years old and began dianette 5 months ago. I have mild acne on my back and moderate acne on my chest. I break out a lot on my face but mainly my jaw and chin.

I had been on ovranette for nearly a year and saw no difference, my gp suggested dianette and I was happy to take it, I would have done anything to get rid of my acne.

It helped my back acne but my face acne never changed and my chest acne has gotten worse.

I gained a lot of weight and felt so self conscious. Before taking it I had a very high sex drive and while on it I had relatively no interest in sex.

It is simply not worth it. I was an emotional mess and could not control my temper, I would get angry and go into a rage about the tiniest thing. I was a horrible person to be around, constantly crying and starting fights with my boyfriend. I felt so depressed and missed so many days of school. As one girl put it "you don't realise you're depressed until you come off it."

This didn't help my acne at all and I would advise to consider all other options before taking dianette.

Does not work.
Reviewed on July 25, 2016

I was experiencing some cystic acne on my face so I saw a private dermatologist and doctor who recommended Co-Cyrindiol. I was warned about the side effects but that they only affect a small handful of people and that I shouldn't really worry. I was assured that my skin would definitely clear up. Anyway, month 1... No side effects..Acne stayed the same... Month 2... No side effects... Acne stayed the same... Month 3... No side effects... Month 4 (the month I've just completed)- acne has just flared up again.. I'm feeling depressed. No other side effects apart from that.

I spoke to the dermatologist who has now advised that the reason why my acne is not clearing up is because I need to go to her clinic and spend £££ and have regular facial peels and purchase her special serums and moisturisers. She also said that I don't eat healthy and I wear makeup. I smell bullsh*t.

Since the dermatologist recommended the Co-cyprindiol and my GP actually prescribed it, i will go back to my GP and ask her for further advice. I'm going to continue to take it for another 2 months but I'm very very doubtful it is clearing my acne.

The BEST thing for me :)
Reviewed on July 22, 2016

I'm now on the non name brand of this (Co-cyprindiol) for the 2nd time and this is honestly the best thing for me. I first went to the doctors with acne around 10 years ago and tried many different anti-biotics and creams for years before they tried this. I've never known anything clear up my skin SO FAST. The results even seemed to last after i stopped for a while. It was only a year into having my implant that i started with breakouts again, this time HUGE, angry cystic acne. Over the course of 18 months i tried more anti-biotics again to no avail. So I got my implant removed and went back onto Co-cyprindiol. Currently on my fourth month and my skin is looking fantastic! I still have some scarring to clear up which i'm using a Vitamin E oil to do and this seems to be helping. I'm hoping that being on this for a year will kick the acne's butt for good and that I'll be able to go back to using a pill with less risks (as far as I am aware there is a higher risk of blood clotting with this one?) It may not work for everyone but if you're getting to the end of your tether i would DEFINITELY recommend at least giving this a shot. :)

Still confused but it is working..
Reviewed on July 14, 2016

I'm 22 and have never ever suffered with spots, about 6 months ago I started going to the gym and weight lifting, my diet changed drastically and I was talking all kinds of supplements then suddenly about 3 months ago I had a HUGE breakout of cystic acne! It was awful, I have never felt so low, depressed and ugly, I couldn't even go out of the house at one point because the paranoia that people were looking at my face would eat away at me. At this point I started to research about the supplements I was taking (creatine, BCAA tablets and protein shakes) and read horror stories that it made other people break out in acne. I immediately stopped taking ALL supplements but continued to work out. After visiting the doctors they prescribed me with ACNECIDE gel which contains 5% benzoyl peroxide, I used this for 2 weeks and saw no change (but the doctor did advise that you have to be persistent with it).

Acne does run in my family, my sister who is 24 has suffered with it from being 15 and my dad also suffered really bad with it when he was a teen. After speaking to my sister about how bad my acne was depressing me she advised me to try the YASMIN pill, I read lots of reviews and decided to start taking it (my sister gave me a months worth of her pills), I started taking YASMIN and three weeks in my acne was worse than ever before but I carried on taking it as I didnt want to come on my period. After this I went to the doctors and literally cried my eyes out my skin was depressing me that much! The doctors then prescribed me with DIANETTE pill, I have been taking this for 10 days and wow! My skin is clear than ever, I have the odd spot here and there but I dont get white heads any more and I can actually walk around with no make up on feeling confident, In fact I have never felt so confident!

Now, Im not actually sure if its the Dianette that has cleared my skin, or the YASMIN? I dont know if the Yasmin took a little longer to kick in and cleared my skin, if it was the Yasmin then I have made a huge mistake by switching to the Dianette because thats in my system now. But then again it could be the Dianette that has cleared my skin but could it work that quickly? (10 days) Im really confused as to what it is but what ever it is is working, at the minute I am currently taking..

Dianette pill

1 x zinc tablet per day

1 x Vitamin E tablet per day

ACNECIDE gel cream at night

My skin is honestly perfect and Im starting to feel so much more confident. I havent experienced depression as such but have had mood swings and been very emotional (crying at tv programmes etc) but I'm not sure if this is because my hormones are a little all over the place with me switching pills so much but Im hoping that that will fizzle out once im settled on a pill. I am going to continue to take the dianette and I will keep you updated how I get on, If my spots come back I am going to come off the Dianette and go back onto YASMIN..

One thing I would say is I would definitely recommend the ACNECIDE gel cream.

Sorry for the really long post but I just wanted to share my experience as it may help some people.

Stick with it
Reviewed on May 26, 2016

I had been struggling for 2/3 years with bad acne on my face,back shoulders and chest.When I first started taking dianette my skin deffientley got worse before it got better.I had tried so many different things before diannete and it was the only thing that worked for me.Within 6 months my skins was completely clear everywhere. It does take a while to work but please stick with it its deffinitley worth it.Unfortunatley after a few years of being on it my doctor made me come off it as there where some deaths of women from blood clots because of dianette and my skin is worse than ever :(

by Nicola_G20 on 09/12/2016 16:17
Hi, have you changed to YASMIN? My doctor told me that once my skin is cleared by using dianette (Il be on it 1 year) she will put me on yasmin as this isnt as strong but controls the acne and stops it from coming back. If your acne has come back you should go back on dianette until it clears again then go on Yasmin. Hope this helped
Day 4
Reviewed on April 30, 2016

I have been using Dianette for only 4 days but my skin has got worse in these 4 days, today it looks awful. My skin feels rough and it looks red and blotchy, although I am aware that it takes months to clear. Will be updating my progress.

by PennyGirl on 06/12/2016 20:22
is it any better yet? :) ive been on for 7 weeks now and skin seems to be worse now than ever :(
It works!
Reviewed on March 8, 2016

I tried dianette last year for 3 months last year and came off it as saw no real improvement.

Then decided to give it another go a few months later as the Dr advised it can take a while to see the benefits....now I have done 6 months Iv seen a sudden genuine massive improvement! My skin is consistently clear,

I can't believe it, I'm 31, this is the first time since a teen that I have no outbreaks at all.

Iv also recently started taking it at bedtime rather than morning, not sure if any science behind that but I'm sticking with that regime to keep the balance in case that is a factor. I recommend try 6 months + for anyone feeling impatient!

Not a permanent solution
Reviewed on January 6, 2016

I took dianette for 2 years and my acne cleared up but then I took a break with the advice of my GP let's just say it was a big mistake. My acne is back and worse than before. Now looking for a more permanent solution :(

by Nicola_G20 on 09/12/2016 16:19
Excellent treatment for adult acne!
Reviewed on November 30, 2015

I've been taking Dianette for two months now and I'm really happy with the results so far. I'm in my early thirties and have had moderate adult acne since around my mid twenties. I mainly suffered from those horrible cystic type lumps on the chin and mouth area, but recently they started spreading to my cheeks and forehead so I thought it was time to try an oral prescription!

So far it's working really well. I was down to no spots at all this week for the first time in years! Like other users below, I've found that when I do get a spot brewing, it tends to disappear quick and not manifest itself into a whitehead like before.

I'm now just waiting for the marks to fade from my previous spots, but I'm really excited to see my skin without them at all in time!

As for side effects, I've not experienced any depression/mood changes; I feel my usual, happy self.

My periods are definitely a lot lighter, particularly this month!

I've had light nausea, which I'd probably attribute to the Dianette, as it doesn't seem to be triggered by anything else.

And the most random thing..... I've gone off tea!! This is a BIG deal for me as I am an avid (even obsessive) tea fan, but since Dianette I can only stomach one cup first thing in the morning. After that, I just ain't interested!

Small sacrifice for clear skin though ;)

works great!!
Reviewed on August 22, 2015

im about to start my 4th month on this product and my skin has completely cleared up. (although I should add that it's been clear since month 2) I occasionally get one of those nasty bumps that are almost pimples..... but they never pop up!!! idk what it is but every time I get a bump or anything on my face it tends to disappear really quickly. very pleased with the results and my now clear skin :) also it's made my period lighter and easier to deal with which is a very pleasant side effect