Dianette Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.5/5 - 382 reviews

Brand: Dianette

Dianette Oral Contraceptive

Cyproterone acetate 2 mg, ethinylestradiol 35 micrograms.

Lactose, maize starch, povidone, talc, magnesium stearate, sucrose, polyethylene glycol 6000, calcium carbonate, glycerol, montan glycol wax, titanium dioxide (E171), and yellow iron oxide (E172).

Worth it
Reviewed on July 15, 2015

I wrote a review for dianette on this site a long time ago and feel compelled to write another because I think it might be helpful for some people if I shared my mixed experience of it.

Firstly, I've suffered with acne since I was about 12. It's ranged from mild to severe and I've tried almost every treatment you can think of to try to remedy it bar accutane. The only thing that has worked long term has been the pill. The only types of pill that have worked have been dianette and (to a lesser degree) Yasmin.

I've been on dianette three times previously. The first time I didn't notice a huge amount of side effects but it got rid of the acne very effectively. The second and third times were incredibly difficult for the first four or five months. I grew very very depressed, very angry, my libido plummeted, and I became very bloated. Perhaps worst of all though, my skin experienced horrendous initial breakouts, much much worse than it had been before I went on the pill. And it's that side effect in particular that made me very wary of trying dianette again after I had a break from it even though it cleared up my skin beautifully.

About two years ago I decided that I wanted to come off the pill altogether. I had been on Yasmin, my skin was very clear and I thought that maybe if I came off it, it would stay clear. Within about a month though my face was breaking out, and the acne got very bad again. My period also stopped for a few months and a scan revealed that I had PCOS. I was recommended going back on the pill to deal with the side effects of the condition (acne, thinning hair, and irregular periods) but I was so worried about that awful initial few months that I couldn't face it.

I perserved for another year or so, and my skin just kept getting worse and my confidence was being destroyed by it. I didn't want to leave my house. At work I couldn't look anyone in the eye. It was horrible. So in the end I caved - I just thought, whatever side effect I have to deal with nothing can be worse than feeling like this every day.

And the strangest thing was - no initial breakout. My skin just cleared up, very quickly. I should say at this point that I coupled taking it for the first three weeks with oral antibiotics, which I think may have really helped, and used topical antibiotics on my face at night. But seriously, the horrible, painful breakout I'd been so afraid of didn't materialise and two months in, my skin is almost completely clear.

I'm sorry for the very long post but I really wanted to share it with anyone who might be considering going back on dianette or trying it for the first time but feeling worried about the side effects. I'm not sure why they haven't effected me this time around but I think it's worth saying. And if you're struggling just give it a go, because life really is too short.

Amazing... until you come off it.
Reviewed on July 14, 2015

Was on this for 3 years from the age of 16 to 19, I had no side effects of what I was aware of and it cleared up my skin compeltely. Also made me less oily. I gained weight whilst on this but I'm not sure whether it was due to this or puberty. I did also experience bloating but the difference in my skin made up for it.

However, I've been off it for a few months and it's came back worse than before. Maybe this is due to how long I was on it, I'm not sure, either way I don't think you should be on this for as long as I was - I sort of forgot about the health risks as I was never reminded about them whilst on it. I don't think I should have been on it that long, especially given my family history of breast cancer.

Overall, I would recommend taking this but realise that this isn't going to fix the problem forever and you will have to come off it eventually.

Good and the bad
Reviewed on July 11, 2015

Unfortunately for everyone out there desperate to cure this acne with this, you've gotta be patient. It takes a good few months to kick in, but for the first 3 months my skins was still bad. Maybe 3-6 months it was bad but not as bad, 6-9 months it was a lotttttt better and 9-12 months it was good. Never really perfect for more than a few days, but a great break for a year. So I would recommend it! Definitely! I had some great months of skin on this pill. But... i've been off it 4 days and onto Yasmin and my acne is back in full force :( even though I was convinced this would keep my skin good

Onto the next thing... :(

JUST A LITTLE PATIENCE
Reviewed on May 13, 2015

I was out of pills Dec2014 and come Feb2015, I started to have acnes. I have never had any acne problems before.. I've always had that 'porcelain' skin every girl dreams of so having them makes me feel so down and depressed because I don't know how to deal with it. After 2 weeks, they're all over my face and ofcourse I started freakin out. So I bought Dianette and guess what! MARCH and APRIL were the worst monthe ever. Everyday I wake up with 2-3 NEW CYSTIC acnes on my cheeks and forehead! I felt so depressed and started reading reviews here. And everyone said just be patient cause it takes 3-4 months before it does its magic and YES! On my 3rd pack, acne stopped showing on my face! I'm now back to having the smooth skin I've always had though I still have those nasty marks (ANYONE RECOMMENDS A GOOD ACNE SCAR REMOVAL REMEDY OR PRODUCT?) it's already been 2 weeks and I havent had any single acne on my skin! Yeehhhheeey!

So girls, JUST BE PATIENT. It does wonders. ;)

TERRIBLE
Reviewed on May 11, 2015

Took these for contraception and GOT ACNE !!!! SERIOUS DEPRESSION ON THIS PILL !!!

Came straight off them and my skin became healthy again but do not take unless your willing to persist with getting a lot worse skin for months before you see improvement !!!

by Sineady on 07/12/2015 20:05
Hi, I've been on Dianette for 4 months now & yes it has cleared up my skin but omg I've never felt so low & depressed, I stop taking it a week a go and I feel a tad better but I'm just wondering how long it takes before the side effects wear off? I'll never take it again! I cant get a doctors appointment for two weeks either so I'm just looking at all the reviews lol
Please dont ever go on this drug, its just not worth ruining your life
Reviewed on March 16, 2015

Please don't go on this drug, its a trap. You get good skin but a lifetime of emotional turbulence & depression that is likely to ruin your life far more than acne. I was on Dianette for 8 long miserable years and just assumed being emotional/ psychotic/ constantly fighting to feel content & happy was just part of growing up. Turns out Dianette stole some of my best years causing depression and making life just constantly a tough battle. Since I've come off dianette life has been amazing and the sky is my limit, I'm now the successful/ happy/ motivated and confident girl i used to be before i went on Dianette! If you start taking it, keep a diary of your moods so you can keep track of any damage its causing to your mental health.

by Sineady on 07/12/2015 20:06
In progress
Reviewed on April 27, 2014

Currently on my third pack,can clearly see the improvment,it works slowly but surely!

Didn`t break me out more at the start,skin condition was pretty much the same,but when started pack 2 slowly could see improvment.

Only thing I noticed after first 2 weeks-skin got less oily.

I also had small break outs in my breast area and on my shoulders right before my period- that cleared up completely in 2 weeks as well,and it seems like I`m not breaking out there at all!

Only bad side effects I noticed on myself is being moody and easily annoyed,also mid headaches and constantly feeling like puking in the first month. After first month,side effects were gone.

As in for my period- didn`t see any changes,I think my period even got longer,but still get cramps.

Definitely speak to your doctor,the pill might not work for everyone and side effects are different for each person,only thing if you really do get bad side effects and they don`t dissapear after a month,better talk to your doctor,you don`t have to suffer and he\she might find something different that will work for you,don`t give up :)

UPDATE- After being on Dianette for a bit more than a year my skin is wonderful. I came off Dianette 4 months ago due to extreme mood swings which eventually lead to depression.As I say- I dont think Dianette was the cause of my depression but I do believe the hormones were a final push. If you for some reason experience extreme mood swings or depression symptoms,please come off the pill immediately as it will get worse.

Reviewed on February 2, 2015

honestly I can not explain how much I would recommend people NOT to go on this drug.. I'm not somebody who usually reads reviews or gets swayed by the reviews people write but honestly I wish I would have listened..

Dianette may have been the WORST drug anybody has ever put me on. It first started when I went to the doctors because my skin was getting more flair ups than usual and it was quite distressing as I had tried antibiotics and also topical treatments..

after the first week of it I felt quite radgy and adgitated and usually I am a happy cheerful person but I just took a horrible turn and became extremely moody anxious and feeling depressed.. and the worst thing was my skin was getting worse and worse and I have never had as bad skin problems.. it was worse than ever before and the reason I went on it was to sort my skin out! after 4 months my skin was almost cystic, I was depressed because of my skin and the hormone effect the drug had taken and to make it even worse I had gained 1 stone.

WORST! I would not recommend at all, your body is precious and you should not change your hormones especially if youre a teen dealing with puberty! obviously everybody is different but I wanted to share my story of this because I regret taking this tablet so much!

Pros don't outweigh cons
Reviewed on January 26, 2015

For me, the cons of dianette definitely outweigh the pros. Although it did completely clear my acne, it took nearly a year to do so. Within the first few months of taking the pill I started getting hot and cold flashes which worsened with time. I also found that I became very anxious and paranoid whilst taking dianette, although I only noticed this after I stopped taking it. I have been on my new pill, cilest, for around 3 months now and as well as keeping my skin clear I am not feeling depressed, bloated, and nauseous like I was with dianette. My hot and cold flashes are starting to lessen, although I still get them from time to time- for me this was the most frustrating side effect of dianette which no one else seemed to get?! My advice would be to definitely consider the pros and cons of dianette, had I been informed about them by my doctor I would not have taken it.

by reden96 on 01/26/2015 23:53
I am wondering whether my hot flashes are a sign of high blood pressure which many others have listed as a side effect of taking dianette. Will have to get a blood test soon
Saved my skin with no side effects
Reviewed on January 2, 2015

Hello,

I developed acne when I was 13 and it just never went away. It destroyed my confidence. When I was 25 (after years of the doctors fobbing me off saying I would grow out of it) I was in having an appointment with the nurse (ear infection) when she asked how long I had the acne for. I told her 12 years and she was shocked a doctor had never offered me treatment. She made me an appointment with the doctor about it so finally a doctor would have to do something about it.

The doctor prescribed Dianette. I was taking it for three months without any real affect and I was suffering from some depression (though that might partially be from the fact my acne wasnt going!) It got really bad, I wouldnt even go out with my friends. In month four my skin started clearing up and the depression went completely. My periods are much lighter and shorter and I dont get PMS or cramps.

In the week off your skin doesnt change so if thats a concern for others I didnt notice a difference.

The doctor started threatening to take me off it at about the year point but when I spoke to the nurse she said if I have no history of depression/cancer/DVT ect; then there shouldnt be a reason to take me off it. I have no side effects from it, in fact its improved my life no end. I asked about the increased risk in clots/cancer ect; and she said all pills come with that, and since she was a teenager in the seventies they have been told horror stories about the pill which she has never seen come to fruition. There was all sorts saying it caused breast cancer, but she said now we know about the hereditary gene so it cant be ruled out thats what we had seen the whole time.

In all she said the increased risk is small and comes with every pill, so why take someone off a pill that is helping so much? All medicines and pills come with possible effects but it doesnt stop us taking them if the good outweighs any small risk.

If you do get depression that carries on into about month 4 or 5 I would say come off it, this is probably the most serious and probable side effect. If you have history of depression or it runs in your family dont take it!!