Dianette Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.6/5 - 368 reviews

Cyproterone acetate 2 mg, ethinylestradiol 35 micrograms.

Lactose, maize starch, povidone, talc, magnesium stearate, sucrose, polyethylene glycol 6000, calcium carbonate, glycerol, montan glycol wax, titanium dioxide (E171), and yellow iron oxide (E172).

In progress
Reviewed on April 27, 2014

Currently on my third pack,can clearly see the improvment,it works slowly but surely!

Didn`t break me out more at the start,skin condition was pretty much the same,but when started pack 2 slowly could see improvment.

Only thing I noticed after first 2 weeks-skin got less oily.

I also had small break outs in my breast area and on my shoulders right before my period- that cleared up completely in 2 weeks as well,and it seems like I`m not breaking out there at all!

Only bad side effects I noticed on myself is being moody and easily annoyed,also mid headaches and constantly feeling like puking in the first month. After first month,side effects were gone.

As in for my period- didn`t see any changes,I think my period even got longer,but still get cramps.

Definitely speak to your doctor,the pill might not work for everyone and side effects are different for each person,only thing if you really do get bad side effects and they don`t dissapear after a month,better talk to your doctor,you don`t have to suffer and he\she might find something different that will work for you,don`t give up :)

Helped
Reviewed on April 11, 2014

After failure with antibiotics and topical creams/liquids for 2 years, doctor finally prescribed me dianette. The first 3 times I took it, I was violently vomiting until the pill came back up but my body had already absorbed the estrogen (it is absorbed in 1.9 hours I think) so this was fine. Period came after 3 days of stopping for monthly rest so became regular but holy sh!t did I put on weight in the first two months. Weight gain not permenant, is all gone now:) Started to clear up on chest by month 2, breakouts became more sporadic on face on month 3 but still relevant. My skin (on month 4 now) has become slightly less oily and scars are beginning to heal a little because my breakouts have become concentrated on my jaw line, chin and one cheek (not sure why its only this cheek, think its because I sleep on this side). Have not used it long enough to be completely sure, but definitely worth a try ladies. I am not sure why my back is still awful and continuously breaking out, the acne there must be being aggrevated by something else. For reference I use epiduo nightly with oilatum natural repair face cream (amazing and gentle) on top and wash with cetaphil/nivea skin cleaner when wearing makeup.

by Catherine1983 on 05/08/2014 08:54
How much weight did you put on, if you don't mind me asking? I'm on my eighth day on Dianette and I feel sort of swollen already, despite exercising regularly. Does the weight gain start quite quickly?
Dianette 35
Reviewed on February 1, 2014

Month 1 - broke me out like a cray cray spotty disgusting person :( Do not even know how to describe it :( Anyway, it bought ALL the tiny bumpy closed comedones alll to whiteheads and a few very painful pustles. Absolutely horrendous.

Month 2 - smaller breakouts than last month. Still noticeable acne though plus some painful spots on cheek which I never get.

Month 3 - I now have muchhhhhh clearer skin where all the closed comedones USED to be. Don't get me wrong there is STILL a lot of hyperpigmention left after the world war 3 of zits but it is a lot SMOOTHER than before. STILL breaking out here and there though. Smaller zits than before as well. Still highly annoying.

Bottom line - I am 50/50 on this.

IF your acne IS definitely hormonal then this will be great for you. Nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend it your on artificial hormones and once you come off the pills acne is most likely going to come back. Also, a side note - in the beginning month 1/2 I was incredibly moody and stressed out at everyone. Defo the pills as I am a rather cheerful person.

Cleared up my acne
Reviewed on January 19, 2014

Dianette has cleared my hormonal acne beautifully. However this took about 3 months and in those 3 months I broke out terribly, losing hope it would work for me several times but it eventually did work. I haven't had a spot in over a month and I used to breakout daily!

Here in the UK you can only be prescribed it for a few months and will have to switch to a different BCP soon but I hope this won't make my acne come back.

If you are taking dianette, be patient. It does work but takes a while.

Dianette Result
Reviewed on January 3, 2014

Started Dianette March 2013 after spending months crying about the consistent sore spots on my chin... JUST ON MY CHIN! After I started it I found I was slightly moody but not much, by July my skin had cleared up enormously! My boobs got very big and I gained a few pounds on my thighs which I have lost now because I have toned up since, but one thing I have noticed which is unusual is that my boobs have decreased down to the same size they were and now I'm very annoyed that they aren't the same. I do not know the cause but it's frustrating as I have a very small cup size which basically sucks!! My skin is totally clear now with no spots in sight however I would recommend taking magnesium and vitamin d to aid the recovery result as I feel it helped me. If anyone else found the same shrinking boobs happens to them please comment as I am go smacked by this, other than that the medicine is a success!

Nightmare!
Reviewed on November 18, 2013

After struggling for acne for years I was prescribed dianette.. it worked pretty quickly and cleared up most of my acne. It completely cleared up the minor acne I had on my back, but I still had a few pimples on my cheeks and forehead. However, this pill completely changed my personality, I had terrible mood swings, I would cry every single day for hours, I ended up fighting with my boyfriend and throwing things (which is completely not in me to do, usually), I began self harming and making myself sick.. I had suicidal thoughts and most days I'd just lay in bed all day crying. I know it works differently for everyone, but if you think you may be susceptible to depression or it runs in your family, I would completely avoid Dianette. Even though it made my skin clearer and made my breasts go up three cup sizes, it's not worth it. My acne also came back full force when I stopped taking it, it was twice as bad as before and began spreading across my shoulders even.

Dissapointing
Reviewed on November 12, 2013

My doctor prescribed me dianette and the day after I started taking it I had the worst migraine I've ever had in my entire life, every time I stood up or sat down I felt like I was going to pass out and I had a constant thumping in my head. I didn't associate the migraines with dianette so I continued to take it for another couple of weeks. I then made an appointment with my doctor about the migraines, and we discovered that my blood pressure was extremely high due to the dianette. She told me to stop taking the tablets immediately and that I was never to take tablets containing estrogen ever again. I didn't see an improvement in my skin, but I wasn't taking the tablets for very long, they may have helped if I'd continued to take them but couldn't cope with the headaches!

Great first time, not so great second time
Reviewed on October 24, 2013

I first started this years ago and it cleared me up and gave me amazingly flawless skin. Unfortunately I had to come off it for 2 years, when I started again it didn't make any difference to my acne.

I don't even want to give it 1 star!
Reviewed on October 16, 2013

I started suffering from acne when i was about 13 years old. After a couple of years of 'dealing' with it my mum took me to the dr's to see what could be done. He put me on Dianette straight away and i stayed on it for the next 14 years!! It cleared my acne up within about 3 months and i thought it was the best thing ever. My boobs got huuuge and i put on a bit weight which i could handle at the time. 10 years later i met my now current boyfriend who, after a few months of being with him made a few comments about my mood swings, not so high sex drive and general unhappiness. I'd never noticed it before, i guess because i'd been on it for such a long time and from a very young age. I ignored his comments for a while but after 3 years he told me he couldn't handle it anymore and either i come off Dianette or try a different one or the relationship is over. I stopped taking the pill in December 2012....after about a month my hair got super greasy and started to fall out in clumps. My spots returned with a vengeance, massive cysts along my jawline and neck, small bumps covering my forehead. I must have cried for about 2weeks solid. This continued for about 6 months but i persevered. i probably lost about half of my hair within the 6 months...it was devastating! However back in August something changed...it felt like a huge weight has been lifted, i'm so happy for no reason whatsoever! My hair has stopped falling out and i have a lot of regrowth coming through. I still get a couple of spots but i'm happy to accept them! My sex drive is crazy, i'm happy and positive about life and i honestly cannot remember ever feeling like this. It makes me angry as i can't help but think i have wasted alot of years being unhappy and negative whereas if i never went on Dianette in the first place could my life have been different??

For anybody contemplating going on this pill i would strongly recommend you try everything else possible first

by weetillie on 08/15/2014 17:58
Coming off Dianette is a nightmare. My skin is just as bad if not worse and my hair is falling out, what are you taking for your skin now ?
Long term use with no problems
Reviewed on August 29, 2013

I was prescribed Dianette when i was 17 as a method of birth control and to help with the symptoms of PCOS, especially acne and facial hair. I have stayed on it ever since and i am now 35. I have never had any problems with it and use it as a contraceptive as well as to reduce my androgen levels. It didn't entirely eradicate my acne or my facial hair, so i was prescribed Roaccutaine for my skin (worked but TERRIBLE side effects and the acne returned) and i have spent a small fortune privately on laser hair removal for my face, which helps but ultimately the hair still grows back, albeit less coarse. Having been on Dianette for 18 years i am reluctant to come off as my androgen levels are still above normal and I can't face (pardon the pun!) the thought of my skin and hairiness getting worse. I havent had the side effects that some reviewers mention as far as I know and if you've lived with a hairy, spotty face before, you'll understand my reluctance to mess with my hormones again now that things are relatively stable and the spots and hair are at a level I can manage. On balance, i would say it is worth giving it a go, just be patient as it really does take a few months to have an impact on acne and even longer for hirsutism. All the best!