Overall rating: 3.3 / 5

Recommended by 63% of visitors

Average price: $26.56

Most helpful review

By Bianca on 12/28/2012

You need to try this pill if you have hormonal acne. Give it at least 3-5 months before seeing results. You will see your face will start getting less oily before your acne decreases. I did not have 1 pimpke for 12 years. I call it my miracle pill..

Pros:
  • I had terrible acne as a teenager probabky starting when i was 13. I had some everywhere on my face, shoulders and back. I tried every type of cream and anti-biotics....except for accutane. I was put on Diane 35 at 16 and have been on it for the last 12 years. I did not get a single pimple since then and i had no oil on my face (like zero oil) not the ton of oil that i used to get. This pill is a life saver.
Cons:
  • The pill works great while you are on it. I am now trying to get pregnant and my acne has returned (not as bad as when i was a teenager but its still pretty bad). So this pill is not a cure. It will work until you stop taking it. I had no side effects except clear skin, no oil production, no cramping during periods. Even if my acne is now back, it gave me 12 years of peace. I need to make a sacrafice at this point to have children. Will be going back on after i have a baby. CANT WAIT!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful

Cyproterone acetate 2 mg and Ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg.

Inactivel Ingredients:
Cornstarch, Lactose, Magnesium Stearate, Povidone, and Talc.

Tablet Coating:
Calcium Carbonate, Ferric Oxide Yellow, Glycerol, Polyethylene Glycol, Povidone, Sucrose, Talc, Titanium Dioxide, and Wax.

Member reviews

By on

This pill is truly toxic. I would strongly recommend against using it. I am currently on my third attempt to stop and I am experiencing major depressive symptoms for approx. 2 weeks before my period. This is completely out of character for me - I have never experienced PMS or depression before. If you are considering using this pill, research the potential side effects on the Internet beforehand. Do not rely on the advice of your doctor, in my experience they have no understanding of the true effects of this drug and their eagerness to prescribe it suggests there are external incentives for them to do so. Despite my symptoms, I have made a commitment to never use this drug again, and I can only hope that with time my body will return to normal.

Pros

• No spots or acne whilst on the pill.

Cons

• MANY. After being on this pill for several years I began to feel lethargic, sluggish, and had many other non-specific symptoms. After stopping the pill, I had acne that was at least 10 times worse than it had been before the pill and had break outs on my face, chest, and back. My skin was also exceptionally oily and I started growing facial hair, esp. around the lip. I couldn't bare these effects and went back on the pill. I have since tried to quit another 2 times with similar results.
  • light
  • for more than a year
  • $ 20
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've struggled with incredibly oily skin from about 14 years old. I'm currently 19 and I'm so happy I finally tried this. I have found nothing that had been able to control my oil as much as this has, and I'm only on my second month! So hopefully this means even more improvement to come! I had an initial breakout for the first couple weeks, but it was manageable and cleared up now. My only issue is bloating and I've gained a couple pounds due to really intense cravings, which I'm sure can be controlled with a bit of will power. Its also expensive if you don't have coverage, but honestly, it's a small price to pay for confidence.

Pros

• Less oily skin
  • Overall improved complexion
  • Birth control

Cons

• Initial break out
  • Bloating
  • Strong cravings
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 40

By on

I have been on Diane-35 for about 6 months now. It started clearing up my skin immediately within the first few weeks. However, 2-3 months into it, I had horrible food cravings and gained about 6 pounds. The weight doesnt go away, despite dieting. My boobs got bigger and more full. The symptoms of pms are greatly reduced. I only have a couple pimples show up a day or two before starting my period. My periods are VERY light and only last a couple days. Also, for some strange reason, if I have more than 1 alcoholic drink, I feel like I'm going to throw up. But, this may be just me since I have had this same side effect on other pills. Overall, I'm very happy with this pill!

Pros

• Clearer, less oily skin
  • Light periods
  • No pms
  • Bigger boobs

Cons

• Weight gain
  • Intolerance to alcohol
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i've been on accutane for about a year and a half and my pharmacist prescribed me to diane because accutane has too many side effects, i've been on diane for about a month and i remember my doctor warning me that on the first month of use my acne will be worse than this, so yeah,, it has become worse, my menstruation also won't ever stop and it's been almost 3 weeks!!! i dont know if i should continue on taking diane for couple of months to see if it really works for me,,, cos if it doesn't work, then its a complete waste of time!!

Pros

• None

Cons

• more acne
  • more oily skin
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 4

By on

Now I unfortunately have to stop, since I plan to get pregnant... and I know the acne will come back.

Pros

• No acne, no greasy hair or oily skin - I simply love Diane! Have used it for 10 years now.

Cons

• None
  • severe
  • for more than a year
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I thought it was a miracle while I was on it, but once my health insurance changed and it was no longer covered I couldn't afford it. It has been a few months since I stopped and my skin is worse than ever. I have deep cystic acne all over my chin as well as regular pimples everywhere else. I went back to my doctor and he said because of the controversy, diane might not even be on the market much longer. My skin is pretty much addicted, and now I'm stuck with this mess.

Pros

• acne cleared up almost completely
  • face wasn't so shiny by the end of the day

Cons

• acne has come back wayyy worse after stopping
  • moderately severe
  • for more than a year
  • $ 10
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

The first week i took Diane35 i felt absolutely sick to my stomach whenever i ate. Though that symptom passed, it has been replaced by bloating and weight gain. That also doesn't help the severe mood swings it has given me even though i had never experienced any form of depression or moodiness in the past. It almost makes me feel like a different person emotionally. It did however make my skin nice and clear, but the emotional distress and body image outweigh the nice skin and big boobs. I say try something else.

Pros

• improved acne
  • bigger boobs (up a cup size)
  • much lighter period and no pain

Cons

• severe mood swings/depression
  • weight gain
  • cravings
  • dry skin
  • moderate
  • for a few months

By on

This was the best birth control pill I found for my cystic acne. (I've had three courses of Accutane - at age 18, 25, and 30- and my cystic acne would still come back just as bad as before about a year after each treatment). It didn't seem to affect my emotions negatively like other bcps (Yasmin and Yaz were the worst ones I tried). But no sex drive and yeast infections are bad side effects so I have had to get off it whenever I have a boyfriend.

I know people with acne can be desperate for a solution - so it's worth a try but watch to see if you get bad side effects.

Pros

• Cystic acne on neck and back disappeared completely
  • Mild acne on face (mostly chin and cheeks) and chest disappeared almost completely

Cons

• Constant yeast infections after having sex
  • Tender breasts when I first started it
  • NO SEX DRIVE - it went down to zero after being on it for awhile
  • moderately severe
  • for more than a year
  • $ 30

By on

only one week after using but my acne suddenly got REALLY bad :(

Pros

• bigger boobs

Cons

• my acne was much worse
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used this drug for over 5 years, I love it.

Please remember- it works differently for each person. It worked well for me. Never experienced any depression, headaches or any bad side effects. The only thing was the very first time I started taking it, my breasts felt tender and grew 2 sizes bigger, but I was quite happy about it. Just remember it takes about 5-6 months when your spots will start disappearing , oh what a fantastic feeling! I never had any hair loss either.After stopping Diane-35 I had to cancel all the things that caused my acne-just in case.Because you have spots because of what you eat( in most cases).So, i had to stop eating all the sweets, my favourite cakes, bread, pasta, salty/ spicy food. But it was quite difficult, my spots were back several months later and I went back to Diane 35. And they are gone once again...

Pros

• The best acne treatment.
  • No more oily skin, no more greasy hair.
  • Good contraceptive.

Cons

• Dry eyes,poor tolerance towards contact lenses.
  • moderately severe
  • for more than a year
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.