Overall rating: 3.3 / 5

Recommended by 63% of visitors

Average price: $26.56

Most helpful review

By Bianca on 12/28/2012

You need to try this pill if you have hormonal acne. Give it at least 3-5 months before seeing results. You will see your face will start getting less oily before your acne decreases. I did not have 1 pimpke for 12 years. I call it my miracle pill..

Pros:
  • I had terrible acne as a teenager probabky starting when i was 13. I had some everywhere on my face, shoulders and back. I tried every type of cream and anti-biotics....except for accutane. I was put on Diane 35 at 16 and have been on it for the last 12 years. I did not get a single pimple since then and i had no oil on my face (like zero oil) not the ton of oil that i used to get. This pill is a life saver.
Cons:
  • The pill works great while you are on it. I am now trying to get pregnant and my acne has returned (not as bad as when i was a teenager but its still pretty bad). So this pill is not a cure. It will work until you stop taking it. I had no side effects except clear skin, no oil production, no cramping during periods. Even if my acne is now back, it gave me 12 years of peace. I need to make a sacrafice at this point to have children. Will be going back on after i have a baby. CANT WAIT!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful

Cyproterone acetate 2 mg and Ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg.

Inactivel Ingredients:
Cornstarch, Lactose, Magnesium Stearate, Povidone, and Talc.

Tablet Coating:
Calcium Carbonate, Ferric Oxide Yellow, Glycerol, Polyethylene Glycol, Povidone, Sucrose, Talc, Titanium Dioxide, and Wax.

Member reviews

“Side effects”
By on

I found that my side effects on this pill included headaches, boob growth and mood swings. Be aware that when you take this pill it will be different for everyone, but it has to get a lot worse before it gets better. Acne on my chest shoulders and back and face- especially forehead, broke out, and are still breaking out. It would clear up for a couple days, then break out all over again. Sister is taking at same time, and seems to be working for her. Depends on the individual I guess!

Pros

• Boob growth
  • Clear up for a bit then break out again.

Cons

• Mood swings
  • Headaches
  • Acne worsened
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“7th week”
By on

Its already my 7th week on this pill but my face has gotten worse than before. I hope it is just the breakthrough thing and my hormones will get used to the pill soon. I have so much faith on this pill since my doctor prescribed it to me so Im gonna stick to it. I cant wait for it to work. But I have to say that my face isnt oily anymore but it became dry. Nothing mosturizer cant fix.

Pros

• my face isnt oily anymore
  • acne dries faster than before
  • the parts of my face that doesnt get acne, looks smoother now.

Cons

• still have acne
  • the first week is the worst- migraines and bloated
  • for a few months
  • $ 20
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Using this pill for hair loss”
By on

So far I have been on this pill for 6 months. I'm taking this pill for female hair loss. My hair started thinning at about age 22 which was around the time I stopped Alesse and was going through a very stressful time in my life. I am now 28 and decided to give Diane a try. My hair was only getting worse and I read that Diane may help since it contains an anti-androgen. So far I don't notice much of a change in my hair. Still shedding a lot. Skin is still the same as well. I still get some pimples. I gained about 10lbs since starting this pill and I'm not sure if it is due to Diane or the Citalopram that I take for anxiety. This is the most I have weighed in my life. When I first started this pill I didn't get a period for 5 months, but had one after the 5th package. I had major bloating and gas at that time. No cramping just a lot of bloating. The bloating and gas continued for the rest of the 6th pack which I am almost finished.

Pros

• Maybe a slight improvement in hair
  • No major breakouts
  • No mood altering side effects

Cons

• Weight gain
  • Bloating and gas with period
  • No difference in skin
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“First time user”
By on

It's my first day today using so I will be posting a lot if I have any symptoms etc . I've never used birth control before so we'll see how this goes. I'm using it to treat hormonal imbalance and acne on my body.

Pros

• The tablet is small

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for a day or two
  • $ 75
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“my miracle drug!”
By on

So far during my teen years I havent had any severe acne until my senior year in high school. For the summer before the year started and up until prom I suffered really bad acne on my back and chest and forehead. Before this acne Id get cystic type acne where the pimple was giant and under my skin which honestly drove me insane because it hurt like hell and I couldnt get rid of it. After trying so many different items like cleanser and anti biotics for acne, that created short term results my doctor finally put me on Diane 35. Its been a little over a year and I almost gave up like 3 times. I only saw my acne worsening for the first 5 months and now my skin is clear, smooth, with less redness and so much more managable. Once in a while usually before my period I will get a pimple but a small one that lasts a day or two. I am a very active and healthy person and I can honestly say that this drug has boosted my self esteem through the roof. I am so happy with the results I would reccomend it to any girl out there suffering with acne that they cant get rid of.

Pros

• Boobs grew 2 sizes
  • no weight gain
  • no acne

Cons

• gets worse before improvement
  • causes impatience
  • for more than a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not so Bad”
By on

Lets see, I'm 23 years old. I've been taking Diane 35 for a year and a half now.. I think. Can't keep track because I've tried others too. I wanted a birth control pill that would help me out with not getting pregnant because Condoms Suck. So uncomfortable!! I also really needed something to help with my Acne. I stress out so much that my acne would attack my forehead and my chin. (little of my cheeks though.) So I tried Diane 35. It took about 2-3months before my face was finally clear and it stayed clear!! with only a random 1-2 pimples after my period probably due to the fact that once you finish the pack and go on your period, your not on the pill for 6-7days. So I would say Diane 35 worth the money. But I just recently (2months going on 3) stopped taking it, and my face has broken out and keeps on breaking out. (Forehead and chin) again. Great. I liked Diane 35 since, it stopped my acne,(back, ass, face, chest.) helped not get me pregnant, made my boobs bigger i use to be a C cup.(I dont really like bigger boobs. now I'm a D cup or a DD cup depending on stupid bras/stores), it also helped my mood swings a bit, I wasn't so Insane with my S.O. that's about it. the cons Acne came back full force once I stopped. the cost was why I stopped and I also stopped because my vagina was dry. (wasn't super dye) just dry enough that sex was really short.(My advice use lube, helps alot). I would get headache about 3-4 days before my period. I gained about 10pounds but I've come realize this is suppose to be my ideal weight at 23.(134) pounds if your wondering. before I went on the pill I was (121) um.... all in all this pill was great compared to the others I've tried.

Pros

• Clear Skin
  • bigger boobs
  • not getting Pregant

Cons

• Acne comes back if you stop taking it
  • Cost
  • dry Vagina
  • for more than a year
  • $ 40
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Worst decision of my life!”
By on

I'm a 21 year old female, but I took a generic Diane-35 (Cyestra-35) when I was 18.

I had always had a bit of acne in high school, but when I went on this birth control pill it ruined my life. I began taking it in July 2011 and stopped taking it in November 2011.

After a month of taking it, my acne went into serious overdrive. My face was COVERED in painful cysts and closed comedones, and I would get a few new ones every single day. My periods were agony, and I would get extremely painful cramps and would have HEAVY periods that would last 7 days. My face also produced what felt like gallons of oil. I also gained 30 pounds which fortunately were easy to drop once I stopped taking the pill, but the acne continued to be severe for the next year after stopping. The worst of it was the psychological hell I went through, crying everyday over cystic acne that grew exponentially every single day.

From what my dermatologists have told me, my case is a rare one. This pill seems to work for many, but it messed up my hormones so bad that even today in 2014 I'm still trying to correct the damage. Please be careful of what medications and birth control pills you decide to take, and make sure you always do thorough research.

Pros

[not submitted]

Cons

• Caused severe cystic acne
  • Extremely painful periods
  • Rapid weight gain
  • for a few months
  • $ 40
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Worth a try!”
By on

I didn't get a terrible initial break out, but it took a WHILE to work. The first 4 months were always a tease! I'd be clear for a week and I'd get really excited, and then I'd break out right before my period and it was always SO bad, worse than when I hadn't started the pill. After that, it would clear up and my skin would feel so nice and smooth and I'd think it's working! And the cycle continued...

But each time I "cleared up" from a break out, my skin DID look better than the previous time, it was just that I knew my skin would look bad again in like 2 weeks. At 5, I noticed that my skin hadn't broken out in over 2 weeks, so I was tentatively hopeful. The next 2 weeks following that, I did get a a couple spots on my chin and lower cheeks, but it was nothing compared to my regular break outs. Now I am 6 months and 1 week on Diane and I still haven't had a massive breakout! This is a victory for me! I will take having one or two tiny pimples on my jawline over a cluster on my cheek!

The thing with Diane is you really have to be PATIENT! Sometimes you have to wait for more than 3 months - not everyone is that lucky to have clear skin within that time! I sure didn't, but I'm glad I waited! I only experienced some side effects: bigger boobs, increased appetite (only during the first 2 months though), and some hair loss (only b/w months 4-5 was it noticeable).

Pros

• Clear and soft skin
  • Bigger boobs
  • Less mood swings/cramps during period

Cons

• Takes a long time to work
  • Some hair loss
  • Acne might come back if you stop taking it
  • for a few months
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Too many risks”
By on

I was on Diane for about 5 months. During that time I really didn't see any improvement in my skin. Not only that, but seeing reports and testimonies on the side effects and how dangerous they can be made me stop taking it. I don't want to risk it. Plus I have no health coverage so it was expensive as hell. I'm on a normal generic birth control now, Tricyclene Lo (if that's how you spell it) because I still need to be on the pill. It's not specifically for acne like Diane is but maybe in a couple months it will help to clear my skin up as I've heard most bc's do.

Pros

• none

Cons

• after 5 months still no improvement
  • too many risks (blood clotting)
  • for a few months
  • $ 45
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Didn't work.”
By on

I started using Dianne to get rid of my hormone pimples that wouldn't leave my chin area. I took the pill for about 6 months and unfortunately it didn't work for me. The pimples lessoned but were still there and I had to stop taking it when I started getting migraines ( which my doctor said was most likely from the pill) When I stopped taking Dianne my migrains/ head aches stopped.

Everyone is different though. Give it a go. It might work for you.

Pros

• it does clear up abit

Cons

• migrains
  • pimples still there
  • for a few months
  • $ 20
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.