Diane-35 Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.3/5 - 747 reviews

Brand: Diane-35

Diane-35 Oral Contraceptive

Cyproterone acetate 2 mg and Ethinyl estradiol 0.035 mg.

Cornstarch, Lactose, Magnesium Stearate, Povidone, and Talc.

Tablet Coating:
Calcium Carbonate, Ferric Oxide Yellow, Glycerol, Polyethylene Glycol, Povidone, Sucrose, Talc, Titanium Dioxide, and Wax.

Please advise
Reviewed on September 25, 2016

My doctor just prescribed this medicine for me (Diane 35). I've never tried anything like this before. I have acne, extra hair on my chin area, and my period is irregular. I am only worried this will make me gain a lot of weight. Also, I'm worried it will affect my mood and sleeping. Please help me out with the symptoms.

Dry, flaky, itchy red skin!
Reviewed on September 8, 2016

I didn't have bad acne to begin with but as a 23 year old, I just got sick of still having pimples. My doctor prescribed me Diane 35 and from that moment is when life became hell, well for my skin anyway. The first three months broke me out so much - which seems to be the norm looking at other reviews. After the initial 3 months, my skin started clearing up however I was left with so many scars. Around the 5th month I stopped producing oil (I have oily sensitive skin normally) and my skin became so dry. 6th month and it was so irritated and flaky! I haven't gone off Diane 35 yet as I know that will break me out again. The struggles are real.

TRY IT!
Reviewed on August 20, 2016

Before I start taking Diane 35, I was very skeptical about it, especially after reading all those negative side effects. To give you an idea of the severity of my acne problem, I had tried out a handful of different oral antibotics for almost a year, all the tropical treatments, and almost the OTC remedy/skincare/vitamin etc. You name it, I have tried it!!!!. My dermatologist was happy to prescribe me with Accutane, in fact, he even said that it would be a good option for me if I want my skin to clear up forever. I have consulted him about taking oral contraceptive, yet he said it wouldn't be too useful/permanently clear up my face. Above all, tho my period are not very regular, I dont have much cysts but mainly tons of small=medium pimples all over my face except my nose area. They do not really look like hormonal acne.

I have struggled with acne for so long, it has ruined my social life and self-confidence, and almost turned me into a difference person. I can't stand it anymore, and before going into Accutane, I decided to give this a try.

And GUYS THIS STUFF IS AMAZING!!!!! My face is cleared up within 3 months!!!!!! I felt like I have waited too long to try this out! I still have small pimples here and there, whiteheads, redness and all that. But at least my skin is smooth again!

Regarding the side effects, yes, there are some side effects but it's not as scary as it may sound. For first month, I have experienced continuous spotting for like a good 10-15 days, sore (and bigger) breast, a bit migraine for a couple days and during the 7-day breaks (but nothing a painkiller couldn't deal with) , and just some pretty bad mood swing. However, there's no major discomfort of any sort. And my skin was better than ever. Plus most of the side effects got better once your body are well-adjusted to the drug.

I didn't gain any weight at all, in fact, I started to work out more while I was on the drug. I lost some weight and now have slightly bigger boobs.

For any girls who's suffering adult acne out there (ATTENTION: ADULT ACNE), give this drug a try before taking Accutane. Maybe it would take some time to work, maybe it's might not a permanent solution (touchwood), it did help regulate your hormone level and that really helps with your acne.

I'm not sure...
Reviewed on July 29, 2016

I'm almost 6 months into it and my acne is not better, I keep getting breakouts every day. It was clear for a while but it never lasts. I'm feeling completely hopeless unfortunately.

Sucks at first but ultimately works
Reviewed on July 10, 2016

Hello all,

So I'm doing a lot of things to control my horrible onset of cystic hormonal acne. I mistakenly went off of birth control after having been on it for 12 years and my skin went crazy. I'm almost at the end of my second pack and things finally seem to be under control. I now mostly have hyperpigmentation. Up until recently, my skin was awful and I'm pretty sure starting this birth control made things way worse. I also want to note that I DO NOT SKIP A WEEK OR TAKE THE SUGAR PILLS. Obviously this will just throw your hormones off again so if you want faster results, just keep taking the active pills for a while. Most importantly, DON'T STOP TAKING THEM NO MATTER WHAT PEOPLE TELL YOU. This will seriously make things worse. Ride it out. You might get lucky and it might work for you in 2-3 months. If it doesn't, just keep going for up to six months and consider my suggestions below to help you along the way. SO...In addition to birth control, this is what seems to have worked for me. And trust me I have tried EVERYTHING and spent countless hours researching this. I'm also a nurse and doing a research PhD so I am providing you all with what I believe to be the best information and tips I've come across. Good luck!

1) I'm on my 6th week of Doxycycline

2) ICE! Every morning I ice my spots. This really helps reduce size and inflammation and there are no risks

3) Green tea (loose leaf organic. I drink it and apply the leafs to my face 5 days a week), I also take ECGC green tea extract pills. Clinical studies prove that this works for acne. So if you're going the green tea route check that the ECGC content is high. It's typically higher in loose leaf teas. Otherwise just buy the extract pills.

4) NO DAIRY, SOY, GLUTEN, or OILS (except coconut oil). I also started a VEGAN DIET

5) CETAPHIL products- I stopped washing with water and only wash with the foam cleanser, it seems weird but I find that it significantly reduces redness. I also only wash once per day if I'm not wearing make up. I moisturize once per day with the day SPF moisturizer.

6) MAKE UP: Physicians formula non-talc liquid mineral make up. I researched every ingredient in several products and this was the best product I found. I had to import it from the US (I'm living in Australia at the moment). I also have not worn any make up on my skin for 2 weeks. I am on a school break and had 2 weeks off of work because I was supposed to go on vacation but had to cancel because my skin got so bad. Sad I know but things are finally clearing and I've been able to work on my PhD thesis from home...I also learned to cook. So if you also plan to isolate yourself, MAKE THE MOST OF IT!! There is light at the end of the tunnel.

7) 2.5 % BENZOYL PEROXIDE: I had given up on harsh topicals because my skin is so freakin sensitive and I found that Differin, Retin A, and anything over 2.5% BP made my skin look so much worse. However, 2.5% is PERFECT! it even reduces the look of the redness when it's applied. If I have to go out I have it on my pimples and I honestly don't care. It's probably only noticeable up close.

8) LOWER YOUR STRESS: Seriously ladies this is so important. Especially if your acne is hormonal. One night i was freaking out because I was supposed to go on vacation to visit a beautiful Greek boy I know and woke up with 4 new spots. Three of them were cystic. I've found that since cancelling and relaxing at home my acne is much better.

9) VITAMINS: Ok so I'm a little ridiculous when it comes to this and I now have a pharmacy in my room. But these are the best vitamins and supplements for acne. As a disclaimer, I wouldn't recommend always taking the Vitamin A like I have been doing because it can cause liver damage. So on that note: 1) Vitamin A- Retinyl Palmitate: I am mega dosing on these. So for the past three weeks I've been taking 10 a day. I realize there are risks with this but I've been getting my liver enzymes checked and I am fully aware of the signs of vitamin A toxicity. You could just try taking 1-2 per day. The logic behind this is that Accutane is a derivative of vitamin A in huge quantities. Mega dosing can really help some people. 2) Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide): this is the active ingredient is most expensive skin brightening/hyperpigmentation creams. I also break the caps and rub them right on my acne scars 3) Vitamin C: I mega dose with this as well. It tastes delicious and there are no risks with toxicity. I also have this in powder form (Skinstitute brand) and put directly on acne scars 4) Vitamin E. 4) Saw Palmetto (also great for hair) 5) Liquid Silica (also great for hair) 5) Omega 3 fish oil (also great for hair) 6) Zinc

Ok my friends this is all of the advice I have. If I had to pick and choose from this list I would prioritize antibiotics to help you get through the initial break out phase on this birth control, Ice, green tea extract or loose leaf organic tea, and Vitamin A Retinyl Palmitate. Feel free to e mail me with any questions: john0994@flinders.edu.au (John is the beginning of my last name. My name is Shev). Cheers!

by nancysurvives on 08/20/2016 11:25
Congrats Shev!!!! I am so happy for you. I can't agree more with your tips and everything. My acne was cleared up around the 2nd month, but I am afraid that it would come back if I stop. I am planning to take the drug for 6 months, and then see if I can stop it/switch to another birth control. As I read through your tips, I just can't agree more and wish more girls can see this. I did pretty the same thing, except I took less vitamin A, and megadose B5. For hormonal acne/just acne in general, stress can be a major cause. Ever since I have come back home from uni, and started doing a lot more yoga and pilates, my skin got so much better. I guess my tip would be doing a lot of relaxing exercises and stop criticising yourself all the time.
Uncertain, will give it a few more months
Reviewed on June 24, 2016

I was prescribed Estelle, a generic version of Diane due to embarrassing acne I have suffered from since age 14. I take tremendous care of my skin, have cut out dairy, most meats and drink 3L of water a day, yet I still have acne! I've almost finished my first pack - which means it's almost been three months. Before Estelle, my forehead was my major problem area, as it was covered in tiny, rash like pimples. I occasionally had pimples on one side of my cheek, but nothing major. However, acne caused me great humiliation and I'd cringe at the thought of a sleepover or social events where people would see me without makeup. (They were still able to be seen with makeup.). Fast forward three months and my acne is worse than its been in my entire life. My forehead is a tiny bit improved, but I now have big cystic pimples on both sides of my forehead. I also have big cystic like pimples on both sides of my cheeks, at least 10 big pimples on each cheek that I swear follow a pattern. I've also started breaking out on my chin which has never happened before. I'm super disappointed as I've heard from a lot of people that three months is typically the magic number for women's acne to improve, however mines the worst I've ever been. I wanted to give my skin a break from harsh topicals which have dried my skin out and slightly bleached it. I've had no adverse side effects to this pill, but I'm really disappointed with how my skin looks, I may go to the doctors for advice or stick with it a few more months. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated :)

Looking to forward to trying this out. Diane 35
Reviewed on June 19, 2016

OK so I haven't tried this yet, but I'm currently on 50 MG of spiro, depo provera and estrofem 1mg. OK here's the thing:

Hormones circulate through our blood. So once you stop taking an synethic hormone your body is going to whack. I think if you just detox your body (blood) this would help you a lot in cleansing out the hormones. Even just in general. Also, Im assuming that this bc doesn't contain a progestin? I'm currently on depo provera so that I can take some form of estrogen. I live in the US so I'll have to get it some other way. I was going to get a packet of EE, stay on spiro and depo. But I think Ill switch Spiro for Diane 35 so I'll have the EE and a different form of anti androgen. f.y.I I've read that if you have too much estrogen it can turn to testosterone?

This is from a forum:

However, if you are not on androgen blockers and start to put oestrogen into your system your body may respond by producing more testosterone.  The higher the E possibly more response to produce T.  Some clinics and some professional are in a habit of reporting information in an inaccurate way to 'receive' your attention.

I'll post an update once I start taking it. Wish me luck.

Help!
Reviewed on May 19, 2016

was on Diane actually generic brand estelle 2 years ago and worked beautifully bar a couple spots that where manageable didn't really bother me but decided to come off after being on it for 8 months big mistake!! now trying estelle again on month 5 and still waiting for improvements, does it get better really losing all faith :(

by sexiwhiterice on 06/19/2016 00:17
They say generic isn't good because the measurements are exact but I have a friend whose a physican and says it's ok?
Good for acne, possibly you will need to switch to other pills after one year
Reviewed on April 16, 2016

Where I live, this pill is known as "Diane Nova". I began to use it at the beginning of year 2015 (February), at the age of 22 and used them until the start of the year 2016 (also February). I've been suffering from acne since I was 12 years old, and when I was 22 my skin problems had been hurting my confidence for a good 10 years. I've even tried Accutane (at the age of 17-18, known in here as Roaccutan) but the results were not permanent, and my acne returned almost immediately after finishing the 1-year treatment. Because of the price and the unsatisfying results, I did not give it another go.

During using these pills I had very little side effects that would be associated with the use of birth control. I experienced that my face and hair started to be less greasy than before. By 6 months of using, my face was pretty much completely clear - I'd no longer get the painful, big bumps that I used to have under my skin several at a time. Now I would only get possibly two tiny pimples at a time, during that time of the month. My mood and confidense improved after this.

After almost 1 year of using, I started to experience pain during and after intercourse. I went to the doctor and she told me it was dryness caused by the hormones in Diane pills, and that it was not uncommon. She said that people usually switch to another birth control pill after their acne has cleared, commonly by about a year of using Diane, and prescribed me another pill. I switched to another pill known as "Femoden" and my skin has remained clear after after switching. I'm now 23. My chest and back are finally completely free of acne, too. On my face I only get tiny pimples occasionally.

From my experience, I warmly recommend birth control pill as a treatment for acne. It cleared my skin and it takes care of contraception, I plan to use birth control pills until I wish to have children, so I can not speak from experience if the acne will stay gone after quitting birth control - only that I remained clear after switching to another pill. However, because of side effects the same pill/method may not work for everyone. I feared to get side effects, but experienced almost none. For me it did get worse before it got better, the doctor told me that clearing would take 6+ months. I hope you find the treatment that works for you! In my journey I have lost hope at many points. Hang in there!

by Acutie2342( on 06/12/2016 11:05
Helo I'm on dianne and I'm on month 2 and I feel like my acne is worse. How was yours at 2 months. How long did it take to clear
Great for acne but is it worth it? It's up to your own personal chemistry makeup.
Reviewed on April 15, 2016

I've suffered with the dreaded acne curse since I was 12yrs old. I'm now 21. It's wreaked havoc on every area of my life and i've had to go through countless prescription creams, natural medicines, 3 different antibiotics at very high doses, yasmin pill, facials, light LED therapy ect with limited to no success.

When it reached it's peak in 2013 I decided to go on Diane-35. Although hesitant to try it from my past experience with the YAZ pill that made me suicidal I took it for a year and it GREATLY improved my skin. I would hardly ever have more than two spots on my face at one time. I stopped it a few years ago and only recently has it started to break out again.

SO I started taking it again a month ago. I've never felt this mentally ill from a pill since taking YAZ. Since the first day taking it my anxiety has been through the roof, for no given reason whatsoever. I can't sleep at night and have resorted to taking phenergan to knock me out cold. During the day my anxiety is no better- I have shooting pains of anxiety through my hands and feet. I've also felt very nauseous and sick this time around- my stomach feels unsettled and the first day I took it I felt like I needed to vomit.

I remember the last time I took Diane-35 the emotional side effects were not as pronounced as they are now but they were still there. It was more depression than anxiety. The day I stopped taking it the clouds lifted and I felt like my lively self again. I plan to stop taking it today and hopefully the same will happen. For acne i'm going to start taking 'Spironolactone' and hope that it doesn't cause mental disturbances to this effect.