Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi reviews

3.8/5 - 70 reviews

Brand: Desert Essence

Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

Aqua, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Macrocystis Pyrifera Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil, Echinacea Angustifolia Leaf Extract, Glycyrrhiza Uralensis (Licorice) Root Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green and White Teas), Natural Fragrance (Parfum), Citric Acid, Polysorbate 80, Chlorophyllin-Copper Complex, Caramel, (Natural Grain) Alcohol Denat.

Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash Refill, 32-Ounce
updated: 06/07/2017 03:31 UTC

love
Reviewed on May 17, 2016

Love this face wash! Works great for my sensative, acne-prone, combo skin. The best natural face wash I've found, it gets your skin Thoroughly Clean!! I try to use as much all natural as I can and this def one of the best natural cleansers I have tried. I find Tea Tree very soothing and it kills all the germies that get on your face during the day.

Miracle!!!!!!!
Reviewed on March 16, 2016

I have had acne for about 4 years now. Both of my parents got it, but not bad. At first it was just small bumps, but now it is cystic acne. Or was cystic acne. Ever since going on this 5 days ago, my acne has reduced completely in size. I am always in tears due to my acne, but i have been very happy with the results. And trust me, i have tried everything: Norwex washcloths, Proactive, birth control. Literally everything!!! IT WORKS!!!

Works Well if Diluted
Reviewed on July 11, 2015

I have oily skin and I tried using this face wash straight from the bottle and it was too strong for me. My mother, who also has oily skin, did not feel the same. My recommendation is if you think it's too drying, dilute it. I use the face wash diluted 50:50 in water, and I think it works wonderfully! It's the only face wash that leaves me feeling clean and doesn't cause any acne. I moisturize very well afterwards with 100% jojoba oil.

Steve, Colorado
Reviewed on February 17, 2013

Natural doesn't always mean safe. Do research on Tea Tree Oil before buying. I bought this and desert essence moisturizer and got extremely light headed and almost fainted. Tea Tree Oil in combination with Lavender Oil (this product contains both) has been linked to gynecomastia. Do not use if male, it will mess with hormones.

by Mitch P on 10/02/2013 19:18
From what I have read, studies have only been done on boys who haven't begun puberty yet. I don't think this will affect any male who is fully developed. Correct me if I am mistaken, though.
Anonymous, NY
Reviewed on January 14, 2013

This is amazing. I'm a huge fan of desert essence because they are natural, mostly vegan, don't test on animals, and a good enough price. I have their conditioner, lotion, soap, and shampoo. They all smell great and I decided to get a face cleanser. I have a combination of oily and sensitive skin and medium acne. I have used it 3 times so far and my acne is much less noticeable. I wet my face with warm water, gently exfoliate and wash it off with this. Then I apply lotion. It works awesome.

Ksenia, Burlington, MA
Reviewed on September 10, 2012

I like the product. I have a mild rosacea. It doesn't irritate my skin (most products do). It is not drying my skin, but I use it with cool water. It may be a key. I use it twice a day. My dauther started using it and her black comedons are less noticable now.

Reviewed on September 5, 2012

I switched to all natural products after having a bad skin reaction to an ingredient that's in everyday drug store products. I wanted to love this product, but this made my face break out, and become rough and red. On the other hand, my shoulders and back like it. So now I use it for skin clearing body wash. Be aware that this product is very liquidy. It has the same consistency as water, so be careful.

chelsea, west virginia
Reviewed on April 20, 2012

i heard tea tree oil was good for acne. just not mine i guess. it dried my face out and made my lips red and tingly. when i used it the shower it made my stomach and back break out with cystic acne! i never get cystic pimples. i stopped using it and they went away.

Reviewed on April 13, 2012

Trying to use this as the liquid form it comes in is a task! However, you can remedy this by pouring it into a foaming dispenser. I reuse the hand soap dispensers from bath and body works for this purpose! Just clean the bottle out really well, and viola. Makes it so much easier to dispense AND you use less product, too. I keep a bottle in the shower and on my sink. Great product for back and chest, arms..wherever you need extra cleaning. This can dry out normal/dry skin and irritate sensitive skin. However, I find I can mediate the effects by reducing usage (and alternating a creamier/moisturizing cleanser) or by applying a moisturizer afterward. I have not experienced any of the bumps others have talked about, so I can't say anything regarding that. I love this stuff because it works and it is cheap. I even use it on my scalp from time to time if it gets too oily. :)

$8.54 for a huge 32oz bottle at Vitacost. Usually lasts at least a year using the pump dispensers. Can't beat the value!

Miss C, Calgary, AB
Reviewed on February 14, 2012

When I first started using this product I thought I had finally found the miracle product I've been searching for all these years. I'm 23 and I've had acne since I was about 11 or 12, I've tried just about everything, and I was so relieved that I had found something so natural and effective. My face was so sore before I started using this product, and it took all that pain away, leading me to believe that all my problems were officially over! I used it for about two/three months, and that's when these tiny little bumps started to form. I think perhaps it could have been allergic reaction to the tea tree (I've read that some people are), and if it wasn't for that, this would be an ideal product. Did anyone else have this reaction??

I say definitely give it a try because it isn't that expensive, and if this was just my own personal allergic reaction, than this may be an incredible product for other oily skinned, acne-prone individuals. (I might even try going back to it once these tiny bumps subside.)