Dermalogica Clean Start

Brand: Dermalogica

Most helpful review

By Anonymous, Vancouver,Washington on 04/20/2012

I love it!.

Pros:
  • It works great! I have discovered it works the Best when you throughly massage wash off it into your face for 1-2minutes i have done that for 2 days and my pores are noticeably smaller and less dirty.
Cons:
  • It's expensive. Other than that there is nothing

10 out of 17 people found this review helpful

All Over Clear contains:
Salicylic Acid (0.5%), Water, Witch Hazel Distillate, Isoceteth-20, Glycols (Butylene and Hexylene Glycol), Ethoxydiglycol, Benzyl PCA, Polysorbate 20, Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Oils (Lemon, Bitter Orange, and Cymbopogon Shoenanthus Oil), Extracts (Camellia Sinensis Leaf, Glycyrrhiza Glabra, Porphyra Umbilicalis, Melia Azadirachta Leaf, Arctium Lappa Root, Argania Spinosa Kernel, Sesame Seed, and Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract), Lecithin, Limonene, Citral, and Linalool.

Wash Off contains:
Salicylic Acid (0.5%), Extracts (Spiraea Ulmaria, Camellia Sinensis Leaf, Glycyrrhiza Glabra, Porphyra Umbilicalis, and Enanthia Chlorantha Bark Extract), Glycols (Butylene and Hexylene Glycol), Hydroxyethlcellulose, Glycerin, Benzyl PCA, Phenoxyethanol, Aminomethyl Propanol, Oils (Tea Tree Leaf, Lavener, and Orange Peel Oil), Oleanic Acid, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Disodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, and Water. Ready Set Scrub contains: Alcohols (Cetyl and Cetearyl Alcohol), Acids (Oleanolic, Salicylic, and Myristic Acid), Water, Butylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, Illite, Kaolin, Silica, Bentonite, Glyceryl Stearate Se, Steareth-2, Polysorbate 20 and 60, Methyl Gluceth-20, Oils (Safflower Seed, Lemongrass, and Tea Tree Leaf Oil), Extracts (Enantia Chlorantha Bark, Camellia Sinensis Leaf, Glycyrrhiza Glabra, Porphyra Umbilicalis, and Spiraea Ulmaria Extract), Menthol, Lauryl Laurate, Ethyl Menthane Carboxamide, Methyl Diisopropyl Propionamide, Menthyl Lactate, Hydroxyethyl Behenamidopropyl Dimmonium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Benzyl PCA, Phenoxyethanol, and Titanium Dioxide.

Bedtime for Breakouts contains:
Salicylic Acid (2%), Biotin, Caffeine, Camphor, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Glycols (Butylene, Dipropylene, and Propylene Glycol), Glycerin, Acids (10-Hydroxdecanoic, Sebacic, Oleanolic, and Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid), PEG-32, PYM/MA Decadiene Crosspolymer, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Extracts (Enantia Chlorantha Bark, Spiraea Ulmaria, Camellia Sinensis Leaf, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root, Porphyra Umbilicalis, Cucumber Fruit, Horse Chestnut Seed, and Yeast Extract), Tea Tree Leaf Oil, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Niacinamide, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, 1,10-Decanediol, Xantham Gum, Polysorbate 20, Isoceteth-20 Acetate, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Benzyl PCA, Phenoxyethanol, Zinc Gluconate, Zinc Acetate, Sodium Hydroxide, and Water.

Brighten Up SPF 15 contains:
Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (3.0%), Oxybenzone (2.0%) Water, Alcohols (Cetyl and Cetearyl Alcohol), Allantoin, Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride, Glycols (Butylene and Caprylyl Glycol), Disodium EDTA, Methyl Gluceth-20, Dimethicone, Stearates (Glyceryl and PEG-100 Stearate), Stearic Acid, Extracts (Lavender, Licorice Root, Willow Bark, Betula Alba Bark, and Arctium Lappa Root Extract), Panthenol, Polysorbate 60, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Aminomethyl Propanol, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica, and Xanthan Gum.

Dermalogica Dermalogica Clean Start Clean Start Kit
updated: 04/17/2014 08:29 UTC
Dermalogica Clean Start Acne Starter Kit (5-Piece Kit)
Dermalogica Clean Start Kit

Member reviews

“dissapointed”
By on

I was really looking for something to clear up my adult acne. I'm 26 & went in search for something that would work. This kit was recommended to me by a dermalogica person. I explained to her what my problems were & she said that this kit would be better for me because it has 2% S.acid than the medibac which is for adults. So I bought the kit used it as recommended. I used it for a total of 4 nights & 3 days. I did see clearing on my face. But!!! It started drying out my face horribly! I have very oily skin & for the last 3 days I've had no oil on my T Zone. The daytime cream burned every single time i applied it. My face would get and stay red (as if i had a sunburn) and it was hot to the touch and it stayed like that all day. My 7yr old pointed it out to me at WalMart 7hrs after washing my face. It made my jaw line itch. My face was tight feeling and started to flake. After 7 uses I am taking this kit back and hope to find something else to work.

Pros

• Did clear up skin

Cons

• dry/itchy skin
  • redness
  • didnt work as hoped
  • $ 38
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Smells nice, but not a very good product”
By on

I decided to try these products after some were used on me during a facial. They smelled wonderful and my facialist told me they were great for my skin type (mild/moderate acne, sensitive). I bought the whole set. After going through two sets of these products.. they just aren't good. The face wash is ok, but nothing special and made my skin feel really tight after using it. The treatments I don't feel like did anything at all other than dry me out. The moisturizer didn't moisturize enough to combat the very drying treatments. The toner was the only thing remotely useful. It's spray, so it's convenient for areas not on your face.

Overall, previous bumps didn't heal (and the ones that did left red marks for weeks) and new ones kept forming even after I gave it a "time to work" period. These products have no other purpose than smelling pretty. Not on my skin, anyway.

Pros

• Smells nice
  • Toner is a spray

Cons

• Drying
  • Not good for sensitive skin
  • for a few months
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Made my acne much worse!!”
By on

I'm 24 y.o. and have had breakouts for at least 10 years. I used proactiv for a couple years, but it did not work as well as I wanted, plus it smells weird and the benzoyl peroxide bleached my towels and pillow cases, so I decided to try this Clean Start system.

This system broke my face out worse than it had been in years!! I followed the system as directed, never skipping washes or steps. I have since stopped using Clean Start and started a new regimen but my face has yet recovered.

Previously, I only had breakouts a few at a time usually all the time, but now it is broken out all over the place, and in great quantity, and I can't get it to stop!! My dermatologist is now suggesting a try a prescription system because the beakouts are so bad. The last time she suggested was not since I went through puberty when my face first started breaking out!!! Horrible!

Pros

• Smells nice
  • Seems to clean face well

Cons

• Did not work on my face
  • Made horrible breakouts appear
  • Was not exfoliating, blackheads worsened
  • for a few months
  • $ 28
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Be Careful”
By on

I was originally very excited about trying this product, having had on and off acne for years. At first, it seemed to work wonders and made my skin feel smooth and clear. However after a couple of days, I noticed I was breaking out all around my cheeks (somewhere I never usually get acne) and as the week went on it got progressively worse. I stopped using it and tried products that had virtually nothing in them. I would just say be careful about buying it and perhaps get a sample before buying the actual thing at its full price because it is also quite expensive. It may work for others but it just didn't work for me.

• for about a week
  • $ 33

By on

Clean Start really does work on your face but just try to keep them all in tacked and you have to use them as directed or it wont work as quick.

Pros

• It works really well on me...i have dry and oily skin. All i have to do is use it twice and it has almost dissapeared.

Cons

• There is alot of medicines to keep track of and it could be VERY confusing. It makes my face red after i use it and on open acne it can burn.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Its really a good series that definitely helped to clear up my skin, when I had little pimples here and there (i used to have acne) it takes just 2 or 3 days before the pimples dried out and vanished completely.

I always use the brighten up tan moisturiser with a little bit of medicated concealer in the day and realised that my face isnt as oily with the moisturiser as compared to other brands.

No regrets, after trying so many brands and getting tired of battling my constant enemy (zits) this is by far the best weapon

Pros

• Cleared up little bumps on my face that the benozyl peroxide 2.5 couldnt
  • Easy on the skin, not harsh and wont result in flaky overdried skin
  • Wash smells really refreshing (like lemongrass)

Cons

• Its expensive
  • Not easily available in some countries in south east asia
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 200
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

I love it!

Pros

Cons

• It's expensive. Other than that there is nothing
  • very light
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

It works really well but it's expensive.

Pros

• I've only been using this for a couple days and it makes my skin feel super soft. I noticed a difference the morning after i used it! It's amazing. I had little bumps all over my forehead that wouldn't go away no matter what i tried, and they just dissapeared! I'm so glad my friend recommended this to me because I have tried literally every acne wash known to man! I really like this stuff and it smells like lemons!

Cons

• Its really expensive and the 35.00 kit is really really small and is probably only gonna last me 1-2 months. You can buy the big ones seperately adding up to about 90-100$
  • moderate
  • for a day or two
  • $ 35
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Worked on the areas where I had acne (forehead) but made me breakout horribly in places I have NEVER had acne before(around mouth, cheeks, nose, jaw)! This product made me hate my skin. And the pimples are so hard to get rid of!

Pros

• Cute Packaging
  • Lots of stuff

Cons

• Smells bad
  • Expensive
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 30
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Well to start I havnt bought the item, yet.

I went to a manicure salon and the women had lots and lots of dermaloica products and i saw the clean start line. I was immatienly wanting to try it, considering of all the reviews i had watched on youtube. There were a couple different samples, the mini square ones with abit of product in them. She had these three:

Bedtime for Breakouts

Hit the spot

Brighten up spf15

I've been using them for a few days.

I used the bedtime for breakouts for the first time last night on two pimples that had just come. Now those pimples are clearing up and there drying out and clearing away, This by far is my favorite.... so far.

The brighten up spf15 was a little suprising at first because it was a tan colour, i wasnt sure what i was supposed to do with it. I was also a little sceptical because it said "shimmer" && we all know shimmer is bad for oily skin but its a pretty great product. Its a great primer andit moisterizes good so i enjoy it.

Now the "hit the spot" I do not like this. I do not like the smell or the way it goes on it hasnt done anything so if i would choose bedtime for breakouts or this, i would choose bedtime for breakouts. I am happy this does not come in the starter pack.

So this is why it was free, I didnt buy anything yet because if im gonna buy something thats so expencive, I want to know that i like the line and that it would work for me.

I have oily, sensitive, *dry skin in winter*, ACNE PRONE skin.

Pros

• Smells good
  • Works great

Cons

• I do not like "Hit the spot"
  • Its a little expencive, so i would suggest finding the little sample packs before buying a full version.
  • Other then that read the bottom for my story
  • moderately severe
  • for about a week
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.