Overall rating: 1.9 / 5

Average price: $2,598.48

Most helpful review

By DMurphy, Ventura, CA on 09/01/2012
thumbnail

It's disappointing to read the reviews here on dermabrasion. Dermabrasion is actually one of the best ways to deal with acne scars, but it depends on the surgeon's SKILL. The doctor can't go too deep, or it will not look right, or not deep enough, or there will not be much difference. A huge part of how a dermabrasion turns out is the way the patient takes care of skin immediately after the dermabrasion. I keep reading about the skin scabbing afterward, the skin is not supposed to scab! It won't scab if it is kept bandaged for around 5 days with a thin layer of a vaseline-type product like Aquaphor or Etna Cream, HYDROGEL bandages, not regular ones, Tefla on top of that, and hold it all together with surgical tape. This dressing should be changed daily for 5 days. The hydrogel bandages are expensive, but they will keep your skin moist, and it has to stay moist at all times or it will scab and sometimes scar! After the first 24 hours, remove the badages and spray some wound cleanser on it, and do a vinegar soak. Google how to do this. It's soothing and will help the skin not scab or scar. Replace the dressings after the vinegar soak. After five days, you no longer need to use the dressing, but still, KEEP YOUR SKIN MOIST AT ALL TIMES with Aquaphor or Etna Cream. You will need alot of it. Once your skin heals, you can stop and just go back to regular moisturizer. Some people think they will just need one dermabrasion and their faces will be fixed. If your scarring is severe, this is WRONG. Ice picks scars won't improve much if at all, and deeper scars will only show some improvement. You will need other treatments, either more dermabrasions, subcison, punches, fat transfer, or filler of some sort to fill in your scars. I personally suggest subcision or punches first, THEN dermabarsion, then fillers. This seems to get the best results. Of course, there will always be people who are never satisfied. Deeply scarred skin will never be perfect, it can only be improve.

Pros:
  • Major improvement on shallow scars, some improvement on deeper scars, removes discoloration from acne scars, evens out skin tone.
Cons:
  • Down time (you won't be able to be seen in public for awhile)

25 out of 37 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

“Dermabrasion review”
By on

Dermabrasion is a treatment option for those not looking for a fast track help all solution. In order for this treatment to work you have to do several sessions, each one potentially making your acne worse and your skin increasingly more irritated. I was able to do about 3 sessions due to financial reasons and at first i did not see any huge results in my overall skin complexion, texture, and acne breakouts. During my second sessions my skin was the most sensitive was bright red after treatment. I was unable to even touch my face after a few days but the redness and swelling went down about 2 days into it. On my third session (my last treatment) i noticed a slight change of the look and feel of my skin. My skin was able to tolerate the session and was less red and irritated after. Having said all that, if i had done all the treatments suggested by the doctor than i may have seen a significant change in my skin. I give this treatment 3 stars because i do believe that it does work and have witnessed it on other people, just not myself. It is worth a try if you are looking for a last resort treatment option besides Accutane.

• for a few weeks
  • $ 1000

Pros

Cons

• Down time (you won't be able to be seen in public for awhile)
  • moderately severe
  • $ 1300
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

If your doctor has recommended dermabrasion for acne scarring or as in my case, scarring from auto accident/acne please don't do it!! I only wish that I could go back in time and I would have ran away from his office! I have since had to pay another $2,000 to have laser resurfacing just to try to undo the damage from the dermabrasion! I now look like I have dark brown dirt on my face which is highlighting the scars! This was caused by the procedure as well! I do however recommend the laser resurfacing, it has made a remarkable difference in my scarring and had I originally went with the laser, as I wanted to, I probably would have nice skin right now!! However, I allowed the doctor to talk me in to the dermabrasion instead. Please don't ruin your face too!!! Because you can never go back!!

Pros

• NONE!!!

Cons

• Scarred my face even worse and caused me to now have "Melasma" or hyperpigmentation!
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 2000
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This procedure is not recommended for acne scars. Plus it makes all your pores larger. Don't do it.

Pros

• None. I did not get any discoloration would be a pro, I suppose.

Cons

• Made scarring worse; This procedure should NEVER be recommended for removal of ice pick acne scars. The small wire bristles get into the ice pick scars and literally rip them open, or at least, that's what it looks like happened. Before the procedure I looked like I had acne scarring. Now I look like I've been in a car wreck or clawed by an animal.
  • moderately severe
  • for more than a year
  • $ 3500
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I did see slight improvement and am told that w/ more treatments i can get to a satisfactory point, but at what expense-I don't know. I expected my shallow scars to be gone, and the deeper ones to look better-instead...all the scars are still visible, with slight improvement...needless to say, i'm very dissappointed. dr says after time, my scars will improve. he also says more treatments may be necessary. i'm jus over 2 months post op.

Pros

• Slightly tighter skin, scars are less deep. minimal pain. i hv asian skin, and did not ecperience hyper/hypo pigmentation.

Cons

• 2 weeks of downtime. Face looked disgusting afterward. Once the swelling went down, ALL scars-even shallow ones-were still visible. Procedure caused a major break out. Skin is very sensitive. Procedure was expensive.
  • moderate
  • $ 5100
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

DON'T DO IT!!!! TRUST ME!! IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING LETTING SOME DOCTOR TAKE A WIRE SAND BRUSH TO YOUR SKIN TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO TIE YOU UP AND MAKE THEM STAY WITH YOU AND TALK SOME SENSE INTO YOU. DO NOT LET ANY DOCTOR NEAR YOUR FACE. OH AND ALSO IF ANY DOCTOR RECOMMENDS A PHENOL PEEL, RUN DON'T WALK FROM HIS/HER OFFICE. IT IS THE MOST HARMFUL ACID ON THE MARKET AND WILL ALSO CAUSE LOSS OF PIGMENT WHICH YOU CAN NEVER GET BACK.

Pros

• ABSOLUTELY NOTHING POSITIVE ABOUT THIS PROCEDURE!! I only gave it a 1 rating because it wouldn't let me post this review without selecting a number. I'm 52 years old and this review is for all of you young beautiful people. And you are all beautiful!!!!

Cons

• I had a dermabrasion in 1982 by a german doctor who worked in an Army Military hospital. I was 25 years old and in the military. It cost no money but it cost me my self esteem and my beauty. It altered and changed the course of my life. The idiot doctor went too deep on my fair skin and left me with hypo pigmentation and scarring all over my face. It looks like my face was slammed into broken glass. My skin has white lines of scarring all over it. I was fine just the way I was.
  • light
  • for a day or two
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Dermabrasion saved my life. My skin looks tons better, not perfect, but better than the acne scars. Don't be afraid if you are reading these other posts. If you go to a trusted doctor, I went with Dr, Alkek in Dallas, then you shouldn't be disappointed. I'm left with a few scars left and a slight difference in skin texture, but again it's a thousand times better than before. I plan on getting it done one more time so my skin can look perfect again. Wish me luck!

Pros

• Dermabrasion worked at getting rid of most my rolling scars on my cheeks.

Cons

• Downtown, price
  • very light
  • for about a month
  • $ 4000
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I had this procedure done on Nov. 10, 2009. My facial redness finally went away after 3.5 months. I believe my diet change (eating healthy- leafy greens, spinach, veggies high in vVtamin A- no fast food, lots of water, etc) & taking Borage oil + Lecithin helped the redness heal much quicker. I would def. suggest taking those supplements if you decide to get this done. I would also suggest taking Vitamin C & Chlorophyll too. You will be amazed at the results (how fast the redness goes away.) In the end, I would not recommend this. It was more trouble than it was worth. It did nothing for my scars & they aren't even that deep. Save your money! I wish I would have read these reviews before I got mine done b/c I don't think I would have gone through w/it. Way too risky. The only thing it did do was make my face smoother.

**If anyone knows any good home remedies that help w/indented scars please let me know** Thanks:)

Pros

• It makes your face smoother

Cons

• A LOT OF DOWNTIME!, extreme redness for at least 3 months, didn't help w/scars, not worth it
  • moderate
  • $ 1800
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This treatment was a life saver for me. I suffered from severe acne scars and was ashamed to show my face in public. I am latin and have olive skin and yes my face is lighter than my body but it looks like I tan my body and not my face, not an issue for me. This treatment is for people with severe acne or deep wrinkles. You might need several treatments to get the results you want. One thing that helped a lot was to put fresh aloe vera on my skin after the planning(crust removing) was over. I slept with a mask of aloe vera on my face for 2 months straight. It speeds healing. Also be very careful to avoid sinlight I learned that lesson after my first. Had to get a peel to even out skin. Only fresh aloe vera from the leaves of the plant will work. Also time consuming but worth the effort. If you follow instructions and take good care of your skin while it heals, you will be happy with the results.

Pros

• Best treatment for deep acne scars and deep wrinkles!

Cons

• It could take up to 3 months to be fully heal. Have to avoid sunlight for this long if you want to aviod hyperpigmentation. It may take several dermabrassions to get rid of acne scars, I had 5 dermabrassions, very time consuming, but worth the pain.
  • moderately severe
  • $ 6000
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

don't do it.

Pros

• Smoothed out acne. Skin quality good, elasticity. Feels smooth. People think I'm ten years younger (for the last 25 years). But....

Cons

• Full face dermabrasion is not worth it. I had my procedure done 24 years ago to smooth out acne scars. My skin has never returned to its former color. It's whiter than my the lower part of my neck. It looks like I had a head transplant. Selfconscious
  • moderately severe
  • $ 2500