De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment reviews

De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment 10% Acne Medication Ointment, 3 Ounces
updated: 09/30/2016 14:18 UTC

Helps dry out body acne
Reviewed on August 17, 2016

sulfur helps to dry out the whiteheads in my experience.

The Best Zit Zap Recipe You'll Find
Reviewed on July 3, 2016

If you're already using a prescription and/or all the usual over-the-counter acne solutions and it's still not entirely successful in clearing up the skin, De La Cruz Sulfur Ointment can be immensely useful as a spot treatment. It's great on its own but I've found a way to make this product work even better than anything else on the market. I typically mix a very minute amount of this product with tea tree oil, apply to the spot and leave it overnight. My skin can already tolerate Differin (Rx) application every other day, benzoyl peroxide (Clean & Clear in the AM) and salicylic acid facial wash (in the PM). Still, I suffer hormone-driven break-through acne.

De La Cruz Sulfer Ointment and Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil is my emergency spot-treatment remedy of choice. Instead of cystic acne persisting for a week or more, if I catch it in the early stages I can halt the size and duration of the spot. Although I don't typically need more than a dab of tea tree oil and sulfur combined, a "trifecta approach" can come handy in an emergency: First, apply a thin layer of OTC hydrocortisone cream, secondly apply a very, very tiny amount of sulfur ointment and tea tree oil to the tip of your finger and rub it together. Apply lightly on top of the cortisone cream . When applied overnight as a spot treatment, this combo will bring down inflammation a lot faster than anything else on the market.

Now for the disclaimer: The directions for this product do not advise leaving it on as an overnight spot treatment, let alone in combination with additional ingredients, as I've described. If you take this approach make sure you're already tolerant of the use of tea tree oil and sulfur ointment individually, and when initially using this approach follow the recommendation and remove it after ~10 minutes. If there is NO problem with this approach, you can take a step-wise approach to leaving it on a bit longer each time until you know you can leave it overnight without awaking to an itchy, flaky mess. Personally, I have no redness and flaking using this multi-ingredient approach but I didn't go straight away to overnight use, either. As with anything this powerful, it is important to introduce new products and approaches, such as the one I've described here, one at a time. Ensure you can tolerate each product you use on your skin before you begin layering ingredients. What I've described here is extremely successful as a spot treatment but I wouldn't recommend it for daily or whole-face use.

great
Reviewed on May 23, 2016

This is the best ointment that I have used for acne. It drys out the pimples and can leave your skin flakey, but is an obvious result from the sulfur since that is what it's suppose to do. It's also better the other topicals for acne because it's more natural and isn't as harmful as other chemicals. I highly recommend this!

!!
Reviewed on May 7, 2016

i leave it on overnight and it never dried my skin. it may be because i have oily skin, i'm not sure. plus, if your skin starts to peal or dry up, it's common sense to stop applying to that area and apply a hydrating lotion instead. all my big pimples, except one, have vanished in less than five days. i first applied it to those then gradually smeared a thin layer across my forehead (where i have those tiny pimples that can only be seen in bright lights) and they're clearing up super fast. this product is a life saver because it shrinks a pesky pimple overnight. if i leave it on for 10 minutes then wash it off, it doesn't work for me. i only use it once day, i leave it on overnight. but you have to make sure your skin is clean before you apply it! overall, this is a great product 100/10 i recommend (''':

This works on my skin...
Reviewed on April 13, 2016

This works on my skin, which is very oily and acne prone, but it's so greasy feeling on my face. I've recently switched to a similar product, with the same amount of sulfur, but without the Polyethylene Glycol, or the greasiness, called San Marcos 10% sulfur ointment. It works just as well as this, de la Cruz brand, but the other 90% of the product is made with natural, plant based ingredients, instead of PEG.

Best
Reviewed on December 4, 2015

I used it on my chest and it cleared it up overnight. I then tried it on my face 4 days ago and it is working great. It is fading my post red marks and my cysts are completely flat. All of my whiteheads were gone literally overnight. I do have to leave it on all night for it to work. I tried washing it off after 10-20 minutes and it had no effect. Seriously I cannot recommend this product enough. I am a 22 year old female and have never had more than 3 pimples at a time. I've been having bad breakouts for the past 6 months and this is the only thing that works for me.

good for sistic acne
Reviewed on September 18, 2015

I had acne since 13. By 14 I developed keloids on my chest. Nothing worked unless I had a vigorous routine which was impossible to follow every day. I'm 26yo now and this stuff is surprisingly good with fat pimples and zits. In my case I found out I have to leave the stuff on overnight. I spread it all over my shoulders once and had very little irritation. With my severe acne I pop the hell out of my pimples and smear a dab of de la cruz on them. Instructions say not to use on open wounds but I didn't follow that rule, either. Like I said I have sistic acne and this is good for treating it. I rather do this to avoid more scars. I had expensive penicillin shots on my chest scars that hurt like hell when I was about 16 (Around $100 at the time). They didn't completely go away. But they're not as inflamed. Still very sensitive to touch. I'm not very self conscious, either, so if you're like me just hang with a bit dry irritation where you place the sulfur and in a day or two the pimples dry up. After that just rub lotion after showering so the dryness goes away. Again this is my own experience with severe acne. Some people's skin is more sensitive than others. Follow Monica AR 's advice and test a small patch of skin first. Stay pimpin'.

Saved my face
Reviewed on September 17, 2015

Let me start off by saying DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT leave this on overnight, your skin will start to peel. And do not spread this all over your face before having tested this out on a small patch of skin sulfur may be too strong for some of you.

Okay now to the review, this saved my face. I am 21 years old. I had never broken out like crazy. Just one or two pimples that would last 2-3 days and then go away without me having to even use anything on it. 6 months ago i got the worse break out of my life. I mean 10-15 pimples all over my face. Pimples with no head that were underneath the skin. I looked up remedies online. I tried washing with salycilic acid. Nothing. I tried benzoyl peroxide. Nothing. I tried drinking 3 liters of water (which i still do) No improvements after 2-3 months of doing so. I started exercising about 2 months ago (i still do this) no improvements. I started taking fish oil to try and regulate hormones, no improvements. Finally i bought this ointment 2 weeks ago. People were saying after 3 days their acne was gone, That didnt happen for me. But I didnt give up because I know products take time to work. Last week all my acne started coming to a head. They popped and dried out and are gone. I now have 2 pimples that are underneath remaining (very small ones i might add) everything else gone. Redness gone, pimples gone, texture gone. My face is back to normal im so happy

Worlds better than BP
Reviewed on September 4, 2015

I use this as a spot treatment. I used it as a mask initially to clear me (sometimes for 15 minutes, sometimes overnight). You just have to splash water on afterwards to rinse off. I couldn't continue to use it as a mask after it cleared me though because it made my skin peel too much. Now, I either use it as a spot treatment (only for 15-20 minutes at a time) or add a 1/2 teaspoon to my bath.

Sulfur Ointment Update!
Reviewed on February 27, 2012

!!!BE AWARE!!! This product formula has changed recently and now contains fragrance. If you are allergic to fragrance or at least sensitive, use caution! The same company makes a sulfur powder, so if you wanna try mixing it with stuff and using that to have the sulfur w/o the fragrance, it might work.

I've found that this product has really worked for me, much better than any BP product I've ever found. My blemishes have been smaller and fewer since using this product and it doesn't leave a film on my skin that some BP products have in the past. And, strangely enough, I rather like the sulfur smell. Smells like matches~

Also, I want to take this space to note that a couple of negative reviews that this product has received seem to have stemmed from a profound lack of knowledge on how to use the product.

!!! It is not meant to be left on the skin!!!

As the instructions conveniently located on the package have informed me, the product is meant to be RINSED OFF.

See, the binding agent in the ointment is water soluble. That means it dissolves in water. Since your face isn't made out of water, guess what? It's not going to absorb.

Further more, you're only supposed t 10 minutes, not all day, not over night. 10 EFFING MINUTES. You know why? Because leaving it on for longer could, I don't know, IRRITATE YOUR SKIN MAYBE!?

...

I apologize if I seem a bit testy. It just pains me to know that one of the few products that has actually worked for me had a few reviews that were the result of ignorance of the product rather than product failure. Now, some of the negative reviews are valid, I'm sure, but honestly....

That said, if BP works for you, then use BP. If it doesn't, you might want to try this sulfur product.

by crystaltrottier on 10/10/2014 02:11
I loved this product until they started adding the fragrance, something in it burned my skin like hell.
by crystaltrottier on 10/10/2014 02:14
by jackierch on 07/07/2015 22:48
I did an overnighter. Now I look like I have a heat rash. How do I clear up this mess?
by Lovinmusic76 on 07/25/2015 05:09
Jackierch- try a Bendryl for the rash. You may want to try using it for only 5 mins or just the 10 that's on the instructions. If you still are irritated then the fragrance in the ointment is probably a problem for you. Try the soap instead in that case.