Cyclessa Oral Contraceptive reviews

3.8/5 - 103 reviews

Brand: Cyclessa

Cyclessa Oral Contraceptive

Desogestrel and ethinyl estradiol.

Three active dosing phases:
7 light yellow tablets
0.100 mg desogestrel (13-ethyl-11-methylene-18,19-dinor-17╬▒ -pregn-4-en-20-yn-17-ol) and 0.025 mg ethinyl estradiol (19-nor-17╬▒ -pregna-1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3, 17-diol).

7 orange tablets
0.125 mg desogestrel and 0.025 mg ethinyl estradiol.

7 red tablets
0.150 mg desogestrel and 0.025 mg ethinyl estradiol.

Inactive ingredients:
vitamin E, pregelatinized starch, stearic acid, lactose monohydrate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, talc, yellow ferric oxide (in light yellow and orange tablets), and red ferric oxide (in orange and red tablets). Cyclessa® (desogestrel ethinyl estradiol tablets).

7 green tablets
Lactose monohydrate, corn starch, magnesium stearate, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, polyethylene glycol, titanium dioxide, FD&C Blue No. 2 aluminum lake, yellow ferric oxide, and talc.

Amazing for acne-prone skin
Reviewed on November 3, 2016

Let me preface this by saying I have taken many different kinds of birth control pills throughout my teen and adult years. This is by far the BEST bcp for my cystic, hormonal acne. I've also taken Caziant which is also a combination of desogestrel & triphasic with the same results. I personally think it's important for the body to have a different amount of hormones each week as would naturally occur otherwise. Any time I went off of Cyclessa or Caziant to "switch it up" was when I started breaking out horribly in cystic bumps. If you suffer from hormonal acne, definitely give Cyclessa or Caziant a try.

valerie, new jersey
Reviewed on November 2, 2011

basically, i was expecting some sort of reaction from this, anything. it's been 6 months and nothing has changed. i don't feel like i'm on a medication at all.

previous to this i was on the nuvaring, which i think gave me some bad side effects. its so hard to tell, because i was in a crappy relationship which can bring about side effects of its own.

i was worried that i'd never be able to remember to take a pill at the same time every day, but you know what? you get used to it. i just set an alarm on my cell phone and it's really helped. even if you are a couple hours late, its really no big deal.

i'm a fan <3

Jesse, Tennessee
Reviewed on September 1, 2011

Helped a lot with acne. I only break out the week after my period, and it goes away fairly quickly.

My periods are really short, like 3-4 days, when usually they are 6-7 days.

I've never really claimed to have PMS, and have never used it as an excuse for my bitchiness, but WHOA, the week before my period I am straight up mean!!

I only get moderate cramps for 1 or 2 days, which is a definite improvement from incredibly horrible cramps for 5 days.

I get really tired now & end up taking naps, which I haven't done since I was 5.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it has made me gain weight, more like it has changed my appetite which has made me gain weight.

Decreased libido, but there's not a birth control I haven't taken that hasn't done that.

Changed the odor & viscosity of discharge.

Anonymous, Los Angeles
Reviewed on May 13, 2011

It works - no babies! However, not a fan of the weight gain!

Anonymous
Reviewed on April 2, 2011

I've been on other birth controls with non of these effects yet this one almost killed me and had left me with serious medical problems and heft health bills.

Anonymous, Illinois
Reviewed on September 28, 2010

I switched to Cyclessa from Loestrin 24. I normally have mild acne, but on this pill, I have moderate acne. I have been on it for about 6 months.

It uses one of the same hormones as Desogen, which I took for about a year in 2007. Desogen kept my skin pretty clear, but I had no libido and gained about 30 lbs while on it. Cyclessa gives me about the same side effects as Desogen:

I am very irritable. When not on BCP, I am a very laidback person. Now, the littlest things make me fly off the handle.

I have had two serious emotional breakdowns while on this pill. I cried myself sick both times and thought about suicide. The only other time this has ever happened was once on Desogen. I finished that pack and switched to Nuvaring (and quit Nuvaring because after 2 yrs my skin started breaking out).

I sometimes think that I would be better off without my BF even though there is no reason to think so. Most of the time, I feel so in love I can hardly stand to be apart, but every now and then, I suddenly want him out of my life for no reason at all.

When I took a year's break off the pill, I was losing weight at a rate of about 1-2 lbs/week and reached my goal weight of 160 within 8 months. When I went on Yasmin in May 2009, I maintained my weight (but Yasmin caused me lactose intolerance and IBS which went away when I discontinued it), but when I switched to Loestrin 24 in October 2009 and then Cyclessa in February 2010, I have been gaining back all the weight. Nothing else has changed to explain the weight gain, but since I can't go off the pill right now to test that, I can't be sure.

I have been incredibly tired on Cyclessa just like on Desogen. Normally, I sleep about 8 hours a night, but on this pill, I need abouut 10 hours a night and still not enough.

In short, BCPs involve a lot of trial and error. I still haven't found the right one for me, and everyone's experiences seem to differ.

Jazzy, Morristown. NJ
Reviewed on July 30, 2010

i like the pill and i am going to keeping taking it for a very long time.

Anonymous, CA
Reviewed on December 7, 2009

if you are having irregular periods or suffer from acne,, you should give this pill a try. (that's what got me to try it) plus everyone reacts differently to the pill. However, considering that it made me an emotional mess and now I might be suffering from blood clots I am getting off this pill. I am actually stopping BC all togther! I rather have irregular periods and acne than go through these possibly fatal symptoms. not worth it. Cyclessa thank you for ruining the past couple months of my life

:-(

Anonymous, LA, CA
Reviewed on November 24, 2009

i feel like an emotional wreck, but i am not pregnant and its been a miracle worker on my skin.

the emotional stuff has to do with my boyfriend being a jerk, but i have been overreacting to everything. its not good...i am on the verge of tears over small things.

my acne was really bad though and its clearing right up...i have received many compliments on my skin since i started!

J, Canada
Reviewed on October 22, 2009

I took this pill to regulate my period and was hoping I would have the added benefit of bigger boobs. Nope. All you ladies whose boobs grew like two cup sizes I am so jealous! How did you take the pill? LOL. I took mine at night then switched my time to around lunch time. No change in side effects and I often took it dry or with water.