Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup

Average price: $27.90

Brand: Clinique

Most helpful review

By anonymous, california on 03/26/2012

I use this foundation about everyday I like how it's very easy to apply and even looking, but make sure you have the right shade or it can look kind of orange-ish. It didn't help my acne at all and I know other people who have used this and it didn't help their acne either, but it didn't break me out and i felt like I wasn't making my skin totally worse as if I were using some super cakey, full coverage, mac foundation or something. hope this helps overall i liked it but i can probably still find better!.

Pros:
  • covered up acne
  • didn't break me out
  • was smooth, even looking
  • natural?
Cons:
  • didn't help my acne... at all
  • i have oily skin yet it was still kinda drying
  • can be orangey looking

14 out of 24 people found this review helpful

Salicylic Acid 0.5%.

Methyl Trimethicone, Water, Dipropylene Glycol, Alcohol Denatured, Nylon-12, Butylene Glycol, Talc, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Silica, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Calcium Stearate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Caffeine, Glycerin, Hydroxyapatite, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Quaternium-90, Bentonite, 10-Hydroxydecanoic Acid, Lecithin, Tocopherol, Sodium Chloride, Tromethamine, Propylene Carbonate, Alumina, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Citrate, Phenoxyethanol May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica.

Clinique Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup - fresh ivory
Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup - Fresh Alabaster, 1 oz
Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup Fresh Neutral
Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup - # 02 Fresh Ivory - 30ml/1oz

Member reviews

“Foundation that does NOT break you out”
By on

Just to be clear before I go into this product's imperfections (which some other reviewers have also stated) this is a GREAT foundation for acne-prone skin. I am a 40+ year old woman who has had various levels of acne for about 20 years. So believe me I have tried a lot of foundations - liquid, powder, combinations, etc - and regardless of how I feel about their other attributes, nearly everything breaks out my sensitive, very acne prone skin. This is a foundation that does not. So that alone makes it worth recommending. Many makeups say they are non-comedegenic or for sensitive or acne skin or whatever. But this one actually does NOT break me out. So, I recommend giving it a try if you are looking for a moderate coverage foundation.

Be aware that this does contain salcylic acid, so you may not want to use this at the same time you have a BP product on your face, and be aware if you are particularly sensitive to SA.

That said, here are the drawbacks: It is a little hard to work with as a foundation. I find it best to either apply a moisturizer or SPF before hand to kind of prime my skin, and/or apply with my fingers by having my fingers a little damp and trying to apply this quickly. Works well as a concealer though, if you want to use it that way. My skin feels both a little oily later in the day (so not exactly a major oil controller) but the SA over time can also cause skin to flake a little like it's too dry.

Pros

• medium coverage foundation, so it can even out skin tone
  • does NOT cause break outs

Cons

• a little hard to work with (must apply it quickly)
  • for more than a year
  • $ 25
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have used this product for 2 years and I have oily skin. At first, I was in love. It controlled my oil, covered my acne, and did reduce my breakouts. I used it with the Clinique foundation brush (highly recommend) and washed it daily with the brush cleaner, which might have been the cause of the improvement in breakouts. I used the foundation also as a concealer on my pimples and it stuck to my pimples much better than other foundations or concealers. I tried the Acne Solutions concealer but it was SO overly drying it was useless - a waste of money. After a few months with the foundation I found that it was so oil controlling that my skin appeared to age and become tighter so that when I smiled I had lots of fine lines. I am 31 and looking back at pictures over the last few years I do feel like I've aged more quickly. When I use it, I never need a powder to control shine. My blush and bronzer settle into my fine lines. I also notice that while I have fewer actual pimples, I have a lot more bumps. Instead of the pus turning into a zit, it will become harder and dried and just stay as a bump without getting red. I'd have to use a pimple tool to remove the hard pus, which I know sounds gross and leads to scarring if not careful, but in sunlight the bumps are visible and still indicative of acne even though you can't see the red. Recently, I tried Clinique's other foundation products to try to alternate in an attempt to get some of the fine lines to go away with a less drying foundation. However, none of them cover the way I need them to and I have gone back to the Acne Solutions for the days in which I really need to look good.

Pros

• Covers pimples
  • Is buildable for more coverage
  • Controls oil and shine

Cons

• Can be too drying
  • Caused more fine lines
  • Causes more bumpy skin
  • for more than a year
  • $ 27
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

It's good but you could probably find something with a better feeling and less orangish tint

Pros

• Buildable coverage
  • Doesn't make you break out!
  • Smells good

Cons

• Orangish tint
  • Doesn't blend good
  • Feels very thick ( inless applied with a wet sponge)
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Just make sure you have moisturized before hand, its excellent best make up I have ever bought.

Pros

• * does not block pores
  • * easy to apply
  • * covers red marks well
  • * being a party boy I tend to fall asleep with my make up on (Naughty I know) but when I do, I dont wake up to a break out.
  • * Bottle lasts for ages
  • * many colours to match your tone.

Cons

• *Hard to build on.
  • * can go orangey if applied to thick.
  • * If dry skin it can go cakey and flakey
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 45

By on

Great coverage for dark spots/acne. Expensive brand but will work with what's best for your skin type/color to get good results.

Pros

• Great Coverage
  • Small Amount Lasts Long

Cons

• Can look orangy if isn't applied correctly.
  • light
  • for more than a year
  • $ 27
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Worth the money for the great coverage

Pros

• I have moderate to severe acne, including some cystic acne, and a lot of facial redness. This goes on smooth to cover my acne and redness and looks natural all day long! A lot of makeup starts to wear off during the day, but not this one. The small bottle also seems to last forever, and I've been using this everyday for months. Also, it contains some acne medication -- but it isn't overdrying at all. Great product

Cons

• $27 a bottle (but the bottle lasts a lot longer than you would think)
  • moderately severe
  • for a few months
  • $ 27
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This foundation has reduced the bumps on my face a bit, it looks natural at the same time as it covers well. I aam 70% sure I would buy it again, the biggest con would be the price in my opinion..but I think it will last for a long time. I use a little bit all over my face, and a bit more as concealer :)

Pros

• Good coverage
  • Looks natural
  • Matte but gives a natural glow

Cons

• Dries fast while your applying it
  • Hard to work with
  • Expensive
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I always go back to this foundation. It keeps my skin in check (along with retina and a good cleanser). Sometimes I search for something better but so far I haven't found it and since I am afraid of breaking out I keep wearing this.

Pros

• covers well, doesnt break me out, stays on a long time on my oily skin, matte finish

Cons

• it can look cakey at times, can dry your skin out a bit, over time may start to look dull.
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 26
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Okay so, I am currently using this and its not bad. I mean it covers up the problems and that's what you want right? Well anyway, I'm very pale and it does give me a little bit of an orange tint. I have been thinking about blending it in with another type of foundation (any brand) that is a little bit lighter and seeing what happens then. I heard that works. OH, and it kinda lasts long. But not too long. After a while it does look flaky.

Pros

• Helps the acne

Cons

• Orangey
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

This was overall an average product for my skin, however it was wayy too pink for my yellow complexion. It's also quite hard to build up as it did tend to get cakey. Also, it oxidizes into a shade darker so you have to buy a shade lighter. The great thing was that it didn't break me out.

Pros

• Cover well
  • didn't break me out

Cons

• cakey
  • really pink undertones
  • hard to build up
  • oxidizes into a darker shade
  • moderate
  • for a few months