Clindoxyl Clindamycin (1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel reviews

3.9/5 - 292 reviews
Clindoxyl Clindamycin (1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel

Clindamycin (1%) and Benzoyl Peroxide (5%).

Non-Medicinal ingredients:
Carbomer 940, dimethicone, disodium lauryl sulfosuccinate, edetate disodium, glycerin, hydrated silica, methylparaben, poloxamer, purified water, and sodium hydroxide.

Satisfactory
Reviewed on March 17, 2015

I've used Clindoxyl previously while on Diane-35 and it cleared my skin up perfectly in about 3 months. Diet, exfoliation or sweat did not affect my skin. I went off Diane-35 and there was a back-order of Clindoxyl and in about 8 months by moderate acne came back. I have been back on Clindoxyl for 10 weeks now, applying it every night after moisturizing (before moisturizing tends to irritate my skin way too much) and my acne is mostly improved. Exfoliation with just a washcloth still makes me break-out and I can't wear make-up because it will show the dry skin. My skin is also quite rough and red in places but hopefully that will get better once I can decrease the dose to once every other day.

Basically, it works, but you have to be quite careful to wash your hands, moisturize enough, but touch/irritate your skin as little as possible.

Works for a while
Reviewed on January 2, 2015

I used this, with along Retin A, and Minocycline to clear up my first experience with acne when I was in middle school. The combination worked beautifully, and once I got off these medications I stayed clear for about 8 months. Then, my acne came back worse, and I was prescribed Clindoxyl Gel. It worked for a while, but then it wasn't doing anything. My skin became resistant to the topical antibiotic in this gel. Just use this with caution, and don't immediately quit using it once you are clear. Ease off of it.

Not amazing but it works
Reviewed on August 11, 2014

For me, I am quite satisfied with the product. It did make my skin more sensitive when I first started using it but as time went by, my skin adjusted.

Pros

Works fast (see changes in about a week)

Don't need to apply a lot for it to work

Cons

Bleaches fabrics (e.g. towels)

It causes facial redness. For example if you apply it on one spot only on your cheek, that spot will be visibly redder than the rest of your face.

If you stop applying for one day, chances are the acne will come back.

If applied on clear skin (no acne), pimples will surface.

Dries skin but easily fixed by applying moisturizer

Expensive

Overall, despite all the cons, I am happy with the product. :)

by BeccaPops on 04/18/2015 18:05
So would you recommend on spot treating rather than on the entire face, as you said that if applied on clear skin, pimples will surface?
by BeccaPops on 04/18/2015 18:06
powerless
Reviewed on May 30, 2014

my 15 year old son has bad acne over his entire back, arms, forehead, face, chin, neck and now starting on his chest...been using this product for a couple months and i really dont see much change.....i feel powerless not being able to help him, you can only wash so many times a day.....

Doesn't really work
Reviewed on May 24, 2014

I've been using this product for a couple weeks now and I don't think it's doing much to my skin. But to be quite honest, I think my acne's getting worse, I've been getting pimples in places I have never had pimples on before :(

does not solve the main problem
Reviewed on May 16, 2014

I had mild but very persistent acne on my forehead and on my chin. I used every night for three months as advised by my dermatologist and it did not help at all. Made my skin more sensitive, flaky and dried it out. Although it did help to dry the big red pimples out faster then it would've been without it, it does not address the cause and did not keep me from breaking out more and more :(

If you have hormonal acne talk to your dermatologist about Diane 35. That's what made the change for me.

Extremely effective, but dries skin
Reviewed on April 2, 2014

This stuff works magic if you need something strong that will actually work for your acne. I had moderate acne and now after a few weeks while I still have some they are all extremely small, and have been reduced drastically. The biggest con is that it dries your skin A LOT, and it doesn't make it super red, but sometimes it gets itchy, which can be annoying. I would definitely say that the benefits outweigh the drying though, and would recommend it.

by BeccaPops on 04/18/2015 18:08
Did you put it on your entire face or just spots?
AMAZING but pricy $$$
Reviewed on March 4, 2014

I think there's many Clindoxyl products with different ingredients in it (i'm not sure).

I am Asian, I live in Canada, I have oily skin, and I mostly break out on my cheeks and my forehead.

I was 16 when I used this product and right now i'm 17.This product is really amazing. I've seen in some reviews on this site where people got this for 7-10$ which is really odd to me cause I had to pay 60$ for mine. Although its very pricy to me, this makes my acne disappear in a WEEK ! YES A WEEK ! that's why I love it so much. I RARELY use makeup to cover my acne.

While I was reading the package and such, it said to use the product for a maximum of 60 days and then I have to THROW THE REST ! even if it said that I still used it after 60 days, but it actually made my skin feel irritated and red so I had to stop :/ I hate that when you're done with the product, pimples can easily appear after about a week later or something. I had 3 "refills" when I was prescribed this product, which is 60$ X 3 = 180$ for 180 days of use. All in all, this product clears your acne in a week and your skin will be FLAWLESS !

The reason why I gave this 4 stars, because its pricy, you only get to use it for 2 months (theres a lot of product left even after 2 months), after you run out of your "refills", you have to go back to the doctors again :/

by BeccaPops on 04/18/2015 18:13
Hi, I also have oily skin and I live in Canada! I wanted to ask how this was applied, like did you put it on your entire face or just your acne spots? Like can you just spot treat and put it on areas that have acne? Because I also have acne on mainly on my cheeks and I have tried other treatments and to my surprise I started getting acne on areas that I have never gotten before (cheeks), and so i want to get rid of them!
Best Acne Cream Out there
Reviewed on January 13, 2014

I had a lot of acne especially on the both sides of my face I had about 20 each and a lot small ones. I had some on my forehead and cheeks and this cream got rid of all them well 70% in about 15 days works well I recommend it!

Good but doesn't really prevent breakouts
Reviewed on November 16, 2013

I have moderate acne and have been prescribed clindoxyl twice - once when I was 16 and once recently. It worked a lot better when I was younger, but it still works now. It gets rid of big whiteheads really quickly, or at least shrinks them significantly overnight, and it has helped improve the overall quality of my skin. It isn't drying as long as you moisturise sufficiently. While it's good for active spots, it doesn't really do much in terms of preventing future breakouts. I'm using it as a topical alongside with Diane, so I'm not really counting on clindoxyl itself to clear my skin. I also think that my skin has become slightly immune to the clindamycin in clindoxyl, because after using it for several months, it seems less effective than when I initially started using it. Still a good product, but probably better for people with less severe acne (and there doesn't seem to be any initial breakout either!).