Clean & Clear ADVANTAGE® 2-in-1 Acne & Mark Eraser Kit

Brand: Clean & Clear

Most helpful review

By amovido86 on 07/08/2011
thumbnail

This product is for people with OILY ACNE prone skin, so it's not going to work on people with dry skin or people with sensitive skin that have a few pimples here and there, sorry! I have been dealing with acne, ACTUAL acne not just a zit or some pimples since I was 12 and have tried EVERYTHING from Proactiv, Murad, every single product from Clearasil, Cetaphil, Neutrogena, Clean & Clear (yes I was skeptical about trying this because all of their other "acne" products have never worked), St. Ives, Nature's cure, Zapzyt to prescription lotions and scrubs from my actual dermatologist, I even bought a Clarisonic thinking if I used something that would scrub my face then the medicated face washes would actually work! This product ACTUALLY WORKS. I had deep painful zits on my chin and cheeks and it took a week of using the Clean & Clear Advantage 2 in 1 kit for them to go away when it normally would have taken 3 weeks of popping them, applying layer after layer of benzoyl peroxide and hot compresses before they would have scarred and gone away. It works. End of story..

Pros:
  • Works!!
Cons:
  • Only for people with OILY/ACNE prone skin otherwise it will dry out your skin and cause you to break out more. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS (i.e. wear sunscreen when you use the product, if the one given irritates your skin, the exact same chemical make-up is in Oil of Olay face moisturizers so don't blame the sunscreen, cut back on how much you're washing your face or applying the acne cream. Remember you're applying a 10% benzoyl peroxide to your face ALONG with a 2% Salicylic Acid on top of that!

107 out of 205 people found this review helpful

Breakout Erasing Cleanser
Benzoyl Peroxide (10%).

Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Carbomer, Fragrance, Glycerin, Menthol, Mineral Oil, Petroleum, Potassium Polyphosphate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoyl Isthionate, Titanium Dioxide, Water, Zinc Lactate. Daily Protecting Moisturizer SPF 15: Active: Avobenzone (3%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (1.7%), Oxybenzone (3%) Inactive: Alanine, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glocoside, Arginine, Behenyl Alcohol, Benzalkomium Chloride, Betaine, Boron Nitride, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Diethylhexyl 2,6-Naphthalate, Dimethicone, Disodium EDTA, Ethylparaben, Fragrance, Glutamic Acid, Glycerin, Glycine, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Lysine, Methylparaben, PCA Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Proline, Propylparaben, Serine, Silica, Sodium PCA, Sodium Polyacrylate, Sorbitol, Steareth-2, Steareth-21, Threonine, Water.

Mark Erasing Spot Treatment
Salicylic Acid (2%).

Alcohol, Benzalkonium Chloride, Bisabolol, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, Cetyl Lactate, Cocamidopropyl PG-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Fragrance, Glycerin, Glycolic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Leaf Extract, Isodecyl Laurate, Polyquaternium -37, Polysorbate 20, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Sodium Benzotriazoyl Butylphenol Sulfonate, Sodium Hydroxide, Water.

Nightly Mark Clearing Lotion
Salicylic Acid (1%).

Ammonium Hydroxide, Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Behenyl Alcohol, Benzalkonium Chloride, Benzyl Alcohol, BHT, Butylene Glycol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, C13-14 Isoparafin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Dimethicone, Disodium EDTA, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Ethylparaben, Fragrance, Glycerin, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Protein, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Seed Extract, Isoceteth-20, Laureth-7, Methyl Gluceth-20, Methylparaben, PEG-16 Soy Sterol, Phenoxyethanol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polycrylamide, Polysorbate 20, PPG-10 Cetyl Ether, Propylparaben, Retinol, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Water.

Member reviews

By on

My son had me take him to the dermatologist for his acne and we were prescribed a topical medication that cost $250 per tube (it was not covered under our insurance). The doctor told us it would take 3 months to see results.

Well, 3 months went by and he still looked the same. It cleared up the outbreaks, but did not stop them.

He heard about Clean and Clear and we gave it a shot. He has used it for 3 weeks and his skin is almost clear. He has some acne that are more like cysts that is stubborn, but the majority of his acne is gone.

Pros

• Clears skin up fast
  • Fades marks
  • Works better than the $275 prescription

Cons

• Skin flakes
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 19.99
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I wouldn't waste my money buying this again. I was already using either the Clean & Clear wash with the 5% bp or 10% bp in it along with a St. Ives scrub. This was working to a point--my acne would get very small but never completely go away. So I figured since I was pleased with C & C washes, I'd take it up a notch and buy the kit. When I got home I realized that the wash was nothing more than what I was already using (same exact ingredients) and everything else had salicylic acid in it, which never really works for me.

Still, I let go of the St. Ives scrub and jumped into the kit. My acne came back, never improved, and my face looked worse until I started scrubbing again before using the kit. At that point, my skin just went back to what it was before--very small acne. The only thing in the kit that did anything for my face was the wash, which I was already using anyway.

I ended up just going to buy some Persa-10 Gel a few days ago and using that instead of the spot treatment and it's working well. Now my regimen is:

Scrub with a very gentle St. Ives scrub (Tone & Firm is what I'm using)

Wash with the cleanser

Tone with witch hazel (sometimes)

Apply Persa-10

Apply either nightly cream from kit or sunscreen from kit (because if nothing else, they at least serve as good moisturizers).

For the most part, I'm basically doing The Regimen with Clean & Clear products.

My tiny bumps are finally going away.

Pros

• Medicated with benzoyl peroxide

Cons

• Everything except for the wash (which you clearly have to rinse off) is medicated with salicyclic acid...which never works
  • Doesn't erase marks
  • You have to use other products in conjunction with this to make it even look like it's working
  • Doesn't prevent acne
  • Putting the spot treatment over the nightly treatment just turns the nightly treatment into clumps of white goo
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 19.99

By on

This product is a life saver for me. Its cleanser is a cream cleanser (10% benzoyl peroxide), with that scent that says "I'm medicated, and the target's goin DOWN", but in a good way. If you use a small amount, it gets bubbly and lathers, but too much and it doesn't lather much. You need to use a cleanser beforehand to rinse out pores and clean the skin, so this can work to maximum potential. At first, it's got a pleasant burn/cool feeling that means it's working, but over time your skin adapts and you don't really feel it. With use of the product, twice a day, my skin (newly broken out from a horrible reaction to Aveeno tinted moisturizer) cleared up quickly, my pores got smaller, and my skin less oily. However, without the included moisturizer, your face will be some kinda dry. The moisturizer is spf 15, oil free. It doesn't clog pores, controls oil, absorbs quickly, and counters the drying effects of the cleanser. Don't slather it on though! Then it'll be ick. Treat it kind of like sunscreen. The cleanser and moisturizer, with Olay oil minimizing toner, have my skin clear the majority of the time, not usually oily, and my pores are nonexistent. As for the two scar treatment products, they contain salicylic acid, which I'm allergic to (but didn't know for sure at the time). When I used them, they did seem to fade my scars, but I started reacting, so I quit, and I cleared up. I've used several other salicylic acid products, and every one has broken me out, so I'll give them the credit of fading scars and disregard the breaking out. Overall, I use the cleanser and moisturizer religiously and I wouldn't use anything else! For those who aren't sensitive to salicylic acid, the other kit is the Acne Control kit, with the 10% BP cleanser, a salicylic acid moisturizer (broke me out, of course), and a spot treatment (also salicylic acid). My best friend uses it, and her skin is an object of envy! Porcelain perfection!

Pros

• Clears acne (mostly)
  • Controls oil
  • Quick absorbing moisturizer
  • Feels lovely on face

Cons

• Pre-cleanser needed
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have been using this product for a year and a half very consistently while on a low dosage birth control and I still see my monthly breakout come during my period. Even when I use the spot treatment on breakouts it completely dries out my pimples and leaves scabs which I then have to use neosporin on for the next week. Im not sure whats worse, a pimple or a scabby dry spot. The only reason I kept using this product was out of laziness and because it was convenient. I am going to try Dan's system paired with supplements and jojoba oil to prevent breakouts and stay moisturized. We'll see...

Pros

• smells nice
  • skin feels soft
  • all products in one package

Cons

• dries out healing blemishes into scabs
  • doesn't fade scars
  • didn't prevent all breakouts
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 30

By on

Pros

• Works!!

• moderately severe
  • $ 24

By on

The kit doesn't do what it says it does. I used it for 3 weeks & have yet to see a difference. I would apply the moisturizer & let it soak in for about 10 mins. Afterwards I tried to apply makeup over it & it flakes. Both the moisturizer & night cream flake after you apply the spot treatment. The spot treatment didn't do anything. I saw no reduction in breakouts and in the appearance of my scars. Don't waste your money!

Pros

• Cleanser leaves face feeling really clean
  • Moisturizes leaves face soft

Cons

• Doesn't fade scars
  • Both moisturizer & night cream flake
  • Spot treatment doesn't reduce size of blemish and doesnt fade scars
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 30