Overall rating: 3.2 / 5

Recommended by 69% of visitors

Average price: $244.19

Most helpful review

By Zilla, Arizona on 08/11/2012

I have been reading the reviews for chemical peels, and I see how much people are willing to pay, and people with light scarring usually aren't aware that you can do a light weekly peel for around $10 a bottle for at home use. I use a 20% SA peel that I got on amazon, and it is reccomended that you use it once a week MAXIMUM. For heavier SA peels (like 30%) you need to wait ten days in between, so on and so on. I canot speak for glycolic acid, or other acids for that matter, but SA has helped my scarring while also helping obliterate my acne (I( have a fair amount of scarring because I was a chronic picker). Do some research online, and you will find that many people are saving money by doing light peels at home. I DO NOT reccomend doing anything higher that 30% at home, and remember: SUNSCREEN, SUNCREEN, AND MOISTURE! If you dont keep your skin moisturized, it will take longer to recover and your skin may crack..

Pros:
  • This product has really helped. I can already see a difference after three weeks.
Cons:
  • Burning, small amount of peeling with what I use.

41 out of 60 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

“Improvement of Acne Scarring!”
By on

I used to have very sever cystic acne which left me with a lot of red, pitted acne scarring. My dermatologist recommended I try chemical peeling to reduce the appearance.

I just completed my sixth peel today at the highest (70%) concentration. It's made a notable difference in my scarring - the texture hasn't improved so much, but the redness has definitely reduced. For those who have very sensitive skin, make sure you start at a very low concentration, I know my first peel was on 20%. It is a little uncomfortable, you can expect a tingly, prickly sensation, but it shouldn't feel like it's burning, that means it's been on for too long or the concentration is too high for you. Also, it is fairly expensive. I think home peels are cheaper, you can buy them online. However, having had enough skin issues I didn't want to risk messing up, so I have mine done at a cosmetic clinic and it's about $90/session.

Overall, I definitely recommend! And the main advice I'd give it to make sure you keep your skin well moisturized (especially the day of and few days after your peel) and always wear sunscreen.

Pros

• Reduces reddness
  • Improves scar appearance

Cons

• Expensive
  • Slight discomfort
  • for a few months
  • $ 500
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“FINALLY! I have beautiful skin!!!!!”
By on

I'm a 25 year old female who has always suffered from embarrassing breakouts. I've tried anything and EVERYTHING to clear my acne (washes, scrubs, vitamins, diets, cleanses, ect.) and nothing has ever worked even though I eat healthy and drink nothing but water every day. I purchased a 30% Glycolic Peel from Amazon a while back and had no idea how this would change my life. My skin is flawless! It cleared all of my breakouts and even softened the scars. I recommend that you do NOT do anything over 30% to start with, and pleeeeease do your research before doing one on yourself at home (youtube is very helpful). In my experience, despite the name, my skin has never actually peeled and has just been soft and supple immediately after the peel. It is important to moisturize your skin for several days afterwards and to only perform a peel no more than once a week. Be patient, because it may take time (until the 3rd or 4th peel) to see dramatic results. Acne is a very personal and devastating thing to deal with, so I encourage everyone who suffers as I did for so many years, to give this a try. You have nothing to loose.

Pros

• Brighter, tigher more radiant skin
  • Clears Acne
  • Helps diminish old scars

Cons

• Can tingle during peel, but nothing too bad
  • for a few months
  • $ 30
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Very effective if combined with a healthy diet”
By on

When I first discovered chemical peels I was skeptical, but after doing one about every two weeks for the last three months, I can honestly say they have changed my life. My acne has almost disappeared on my forehead and checks. I now see hope for my scaring; the redness and hyper pigmentation on my face has been greatly reduced and my pitted scars are shrinking.

To get the most out of chemical peels, you have to have very low stress, proper sleep, and a healthy diet.

Pros

• Evens skin tone.
  • Very effective against cystic acne.
  • Helps redness and scarring

Cons

• Peeling for up to a week.
  • for a few months
  • $ 45
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Chemical peels work to an extent”
By on

I have the typical hormonal acne that comes with The teenage years. About once every month I go to get a chemical peel to calm my skin down and to get rid of all the filth and dirt on my skin. It does do a fantastic job of cleansing the skin and keeping the acne under control...for the most part. It does not cure me from the acne completely, but I have a gone a few months without getting a peel and my skin looked terrible. It is something that you have to keep up with and can be very expensive.

Pros

• Cleanses the skin
  • Prevents many future breakouts

Cons

• Very expensive
  • Does not get rid of all the acne
  • Something you have to keep up with
  • for about a year
  • $ 200
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“2 chemical peels 50%”
By on

help with small scarring, didnt help red marks, and i said i want red marks out.

Pros

• fill my scar a bit

Cons

• didnt help on red marks for me :(
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Indifferent. Expected a lot more.”
By on

Quick background: 27 female, acne sufferer for 8yrs. Acne has moderately cleared up from stopping birth control, yet I still have awful scarring. I went to an esthetician for a series of chemical peels consisting of 2 lactic acid, and 6 glycolic acid peels. In total I spent over 800 dollars (Including gratuity). For the money I spent I am not satisfied with the results. I have seen an improvement in texture, redness, pore size and overall appearance. However, my scarring (which is what bothers me most) is still quite apparent. It has reduced, but not 800 dollars worth.

I honestly feel that using lemon as an exfoliant and scar reducer on a daily basis would give me the same results.

A few things that helped me:

Cut out dairy and red meat!

Drink more water - seriously it helps!

And for me the source of my acne was hormones so birth control seemed to make it worse.

Pros

• Improved appearence
  • Improved texture
  • Pore reduction

Cons

• Slightly faded scars
  • Not worth the amount of money
  • for a few months
  • $ 800
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

Pros

Cons

• Burning, small amount of peeling with what I use.
  • light
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I am only 21 and have *hated* the scarring on my back, a result of acne.

Every treatment which I looked in to was expensive and didn't guarantee results for such a large surface area. After undergoing 4 TCA skin peels (and currently doing some further jessner peels) I would recommend it to everyone, no questions asked!! I have absolutely no scarring whatsoever, you would never even know I suffered in the first place! Not no mention i'm not embarrassed anymore.

The treatment wasn't a lovely experience, but overall it was worth it and i would do it all over again!

Pros

• Cleared up scarring 100%

Cons

• Painful
  • Lots of peeling
  • Irritating / itchy
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 250

By on

I went to three sessions. My skin peeled, but looked exactly the same. It was about $150.00 each session. A huge waste of money! :(

Pros

• none

Cons

• It's expensive and it didn't help me at all (after 3 sessions!)
  • $ 150
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I have struggled with acne for as long as I can remember. It was mostly on my jawline area and a few on my forehead and chin. I even had some cystic acne and it was very red and noticeable. I did some research and found out jawline acne is caused by unbalanced hormones, especially common in woman in their twenties and thirties who are still suffering from acne. Some of the recommendation were to cut out foods containing hormones, especially dairy. Dairy and meat are REALLY bad for acne prone skin because of all the hormones in the animal meat and in the milk. So I went pescatarian and dont eat nearly as much dairy as before. (Cocunut Ice Cream is SOOO good) Anyways I have also had 2 chemical peels so far. They dried up my acne and reduced redness so much already and my esthetician recommend six for maximum benifits. I cant wait for the full results. I have tried everything and finally Iam beginning to see results and people are also commenting on my skin and how clear it is. So bottom line try to reduce or elimanate meat and dairy, drink lots of water and try the chemical peels It worked for me and is worth a try for anyone suffering with acne.

Pros

• Cleared current acne, reduced scars and redness

Cons

• Peeling skin for 5 days, expensive, but worth the results.
  • moderately severe
  • for about a month
  • $ 100
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.