Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser reviews

Brand: Cetaphil

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben.

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, 16 fl oz
updated: 11/29/2015 08:37 UTC
Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, Normal to Oily Skin, 16 fl oz
updated: 11/29/2015 08:37 UTC
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, 8 fl oz
updated: 11/29/2015 08:38 UTC
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, For all skin types, 16-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2)
updated: 11/29/2015 08:38 UTC

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

No frills, cheap thrills.
Reviewed on October 26, 2015

I have been using this for about 2 weeks. Previously I was using Dove but I was finding it to be drying. I figured I would switch to a cream cleanser for a while. I tried Cerave (both foaming and hydrating) and both caused breakouts in places there was none before. I read that sometimes ceramides clog pore up for some and so, I stopped using them and any thing else for a bit. I began using this because they sell travel sized bottles for 2 bucks at the local pharmacy. Being both broke and kinda ugly I thought what have I got to lose?

So far, Ive only lost three dollars. Gains? soft, even toned skin that I get compliments on, wow that's thrilling, but it may be temporary. Will update in three weeks.

I want to add as a disclaimer I am also using homemade Vit C Serum (I've been using it for three years, same recipe) and complex 15.

Cleanses without stripping the skin!
Reviewed on September 19, 2015

Ive had mild acne for a couple years now and have purchased countless products to try and combat my breakouts.

This cleanser is great for daily washing. I use it morning and night religiously. I dont think it does an awful lot to actually treat acne in any way, but does help to soothe and wash the skin from any dirt that gets built up throughout the day. Also ive found that it does remove oiliness from the skin however doesn't strip it entirely, which is really important when trying to fight acne.

Furthermore, it hasnt caused me any severe breakouts or further irritation. Id recommend sticking with it and giving it an honest go!

dried out skin and created a rash
Reviewed on September 16, 2015

used this before I started getting acne. TOTALLY dried out the skin AND gave me a horrible and irritating rash that was very inflammed. it did cleanse m face well before the rash and drying came, but it was probably one of the products that caused acne for me :(

Reviewed on August 13, 2015

My favorite gentle face wash, cleanses skin without drying it out! Love it! Leaves skin baby soft when I use my clarisonic with it! Don't be scared that it doesn't foam up, it still is getting your skin clean! It's just not stripping away all of the moisture in your skin.

Gives my face a clean feeling without tightness
Reviewed on August 9, 2015

I'm using this product while on Accutane. It is not irritating. At first, I was disappointed that it doesn't lather, but I got used to that very quickly and I don't mind it anymore. The amount goes a long way for the price, and it does a great job of taking off my pur minerals foundation.

Good but not great for me
Reviewed on July 29, 2015

I have been experiencing moderate adult acne for the past 3 months that is driving my crazy i am 29 lighter skin African American with combination skin I have always had clear skin and I'm not exactly sure why I have been breaking out so bad My best guess is hormones & stress I have big painful pumps under the skin & small pumps on the surface along with dark acne scars it's just so upsetting I have been using cetaphil for a month now & I can say it leaves my skin very smooth it hasn't stopped my breakouts but it has slightly kept them under control I wash my face once some times twice a day I just recently start letting it sit on my face for about 30min or a little less instead of washing it right off this seem to help calm my breakouts a little faster I rinse with hot water as hot as I can stand it followed by cold & pat dry with paper towel I do not use wash rags on my face overall cetaphil is an ok product but I think I'm going to try something else cause as I said before it hasn't stopped my breakouts & im looking for a product to stop them & also clear up my dark scars

by Mia7485 on 08/07/2015 19:24
Allowing a face wash to dry on your skin is going to block your pores. Not using a washcloth (more preferably a Clarisonic or something like that) to wash it off means there's probably soap residue left on your skin that you don't feel with your fingertips. That can lead to further breakouts. Hot water damages the healthy skin, compromising your skins ability to heal itself. Cetaphil is a gentle cleanser, but it doesn't contain anything that will help with active breakouts. Invest in a good Benzoyl Peroxide gel (not the grocery store kind... Vivant Skin Care makes a good one that cleared up my cystic breakouts). A Retin-A will clear up your dark spots, or a chemical peel from a specialist.
by Lamberto413 on 08/09/2015 05:26
hi tierra! i have been having these same exact kind of breakouts myself lately. they are mostly all located all along my jawline. i have really oily skin and have definitely had breakouts here and there but nothing like i have been dealing with lately. the reason why im commenting back to you is because i ended up going to see an esthetician and getting a facial at a local spa in my area. this was my i was surprised when she told me she bel
by Lamberto413 on 08/09/2015 05:34
sorry, my comment posted and i wasnt finished. lol like i was saying...i seen an esthetician as my final effort before seeing a dermatologist. i was really surprised to hear that she thinks my acne is due to the fact that i have the mirena iud. i dont know if this is the same for you but i figured i would let you know in case. apparently the jawline is a hormonal belt for women and due to the hormones the mirena has it can cause acne in some women. if youve found or tried any other cleansers that have helped your skin please let me know! i am on the hunt! lol
Didn't work
Reviewed on July 26, 2015

I'm using cetaphil for 5 days and it makes my pimples worst

by SeekinToBeRealAgain on 10/05/2015 00:32
I see this post is old. Just thought i should let you know this cleanser holds the least risk in all cleansers. Also it's natural for you to break out when using a cleanser because it has to dig up all that bacteria etc under your skin causing a initial break out but once that is gone you won't break out again unless of course your hormones spike etc but i assure you it's not the cleanser. Unless your allergic to it but i doubt that as you'd have a different reaction anyhow I have one of the worst acne/scar known to man so trust me when I tell you this is a trusted cleanser with no Bs.
by Human Doing on 10/26/2015 19:49
@ SeekinToBeRealAgain: no, that's not what happens. "Purging"as it's called only happens when you use actives-vitamin C AHA and BHA- because they speed up cell turnover thus pushing out debris in the pores. Cetaphil is an inert substance with no ability to increase cell turnover. Therefore, the OP should STOP using the product is pimples are appearing or acne is getting worse. It blows my mind how many people do not know how "purging" occurs and why.
Worst thing ever
Reviewed on July 24, 2015

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser is the worst thing thats EVER happened to my skin.

My skin started acting up during December 2014, nothing major, but it was getting worse. I decided to purchase this oh so lovely product in hopes that it would clear my skin up a bit. Hands down worst decision i EVER made. It broke me out sooooo bad. I had faith in this product as so many youtube videos were made about how incredible it was, and how gentle it was. I needed a gentle cleanser because i read that you should be as gentle as possible with your skin, so i thought this must work since it says GENTLE SKIN CLEANSER. But after it broke me out i read articles saying how it was the devil and that the ingredients are sooo harsh on your skin. I CANNOT believe i didnt google the ingredients before trying it. Its full of sh*t !!!

In summary, cetaphil is no good and is filled with harsh ingredients that broke me out, i still have acne to this day thanks to cetaphil, please dont put this rubbish on your skin and go for all natural products!

articles: [link removed] and [link removed]

by lesleyrodgers on 07/24/2015 04:51
oh they removed the link nice; anyway you can just google cetaphil devil and a bunch of articles will pop up
Great as a cleanser for dry or sensitive skin! (also makeup brushes!)
Reviewed on July 22, 2015

I used this product for years, and I have to say that if you have dry or sensitive skin, this is fantastic for you. I still use this to date for my makeup brushes, and whenever my skin is dry or needs a little extra care (ex. in the winter, when I have a sunburn, etc.)

I would still be using this, however, I needed to change it up to be able to have a better handle on fighting my acne. I never experienced breakouts with this product, or any other complications. I would use makeup remover before using this, though. It doesn't remove all traces of foundation from my skin - but it doesn't claim to! I found it nice for gently removing my eye makeup, though. I used it in both ways that it said you could, like you would a normal cleanser, and putting it on dry skin and wiping off the excess. I would definitely recommend using it like you would your normal cleanser, because it made me uncomfortable to not wash off the product and to leave a thin layer on my skin, when I know that it was mixed with dirt, oil, makeup, etc.

While this didn't do anything for my acne, that isn't the reason that I bought it. There are many others who sing the praises of this for acne, and call it a beauty staple and a lifesaver. Personally, I would agree that this is something that I need in my routine. When my skin is in bad shape, this is an essential. For cleaning my makeup brushes easily and gently, this is an essential. I would get the one with the pump, it's much easier to use and you can turn it and lock it for storage or travel. Overall, I would give it a try, but don't hold high expectations for it when it comes to acne, because that's not what the purpose of this product is. If you're looking for a gentle cleanser, have sensitive skin, really dry skin, etc. then chances are this has a very high potential for being your holy grail facial cleanser. I also encourage trying it for makeup brushes! Keeps them soft instead of stripping them and making them dry and uncomfortable to use.

Not impressed
Reviewed on July 18, 2015

Cetaphil has done absolutely nothing for my acne. I started using it because I ran out of my usual regimen and needed something to use until I could get some more in the mail. I've used it in the past too before I started Rodan and Fields Unblemish which I highly recommend. It's quite expensive but it does wonders. It clears up your face very fast. Anyways, I definitely would NOT recommend Cetaphil. It's a terrible product that actually made my acne worse. Do not purchase.