Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar

Average price: $4.78

Brand: Cetaphil

Most helpful review

By morgan, orlando, fl on 08/26/2009

i love it. it has a great lather that feels so soft on my skin. instead of redness all over i just see freckles and skin..

Pros:
  • makes my skin feel clean but not to dry. decreases the redness in my Irish skin. i can use it morning and night and my skin has just the right amount of oil on it.
Cons:
  • none. i don't have the sense of smell so to me it smells like air.

253 out of 425 people found this review helpful

Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Stearic Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Cocoate, PEG 20, Sodium Chloride, Masking Fragrance (Parfum), Sodium Isethionate, Petrolatum, Sodium Isostearoyl Lactylate, Sucrose Cocoate, Titanium Dioxide, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate.

May also contain: Sodium Palm Kernelate.

Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar Value Pack, 3 ea
Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar, 4.5 oz
updated: 04/16/2014 09:09 UTC
Cetaphil Gentle Cleansing Bar, 4.5-Ounce Bar (Pack of 6)

Member reviews

“If you're going to use a bar with The Regimen, this is a good choice”
By on

I used this bar for about a year, about 10 years ago. I tried it again recently and remember why I liked it. The lather is truly rich and thick. This makes cleansing a super-low irritation experience since your hands glide so easily over the skin. The thick lather also works brilliantly as a shaving "cream."

Overall, this bar does not leave me feeling overly dry. It does its job of removing surface oils without overstripping. However, it does have a distinct scent that sticks around. Long after I've left the shower and arrive at work, my hands still smell. Luckily it's not a horrible scent, but I would much prefer to not carry the scent along with me throughout my day.

Pros

• Inexpensive
  • Lasts a long time
  • Rich, thick lather

Cons

• Lingering scent
  • for about a year
  • $ 4.5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

My sister-in-law recommended this cleanser for me because I am prone to cysts. Using the cleanser in the morning and at night worked well and I noticed a decrease in my acne. I did find that after a while (as with all cleansers) my skin became "used to" the cleanser and began to break-out again. I now use this in the morning and a stronger cleanser to wash off my make-up at night that targets acne a little better.

Pros

• Great for sensitive skin
  • Does not dry skin
  • Works well in combination with other products

Cons

• Messy and wastes a lot if you leave in shower
  • Difficult for traveling with
  • Less effective over time
  • for a few months
  • $ 6
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

My skin is oily, sensitive. I've got a lot of pimples on my forehead, and Cetaphil isn't clearing this off. My skin is still really oily and shiny after I use this bar.

The bar lasts long - but I've wanted to try the skin cleanser for a long time. It hasn't added to my pimples, hasn't irritated my skin (like other soap bars do), and is the best bar I've use for sensitive skin (only bar - maybe, that I've used).

For people who don't have oily skin and not much pimples, this is recommended.

Pros

• Doesn't cause acne.
  • Doesn't irritate skin.
  • Good for sensitive skin.

Cons

• Doesn't prevent and clear acne.
  • Hasn't done much to my skin.
  • Isn't good for oily skin.
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 8

By on

I have bought this product yesterday and already saw a drastic change in my face. The troublesome whiteheads on both sides of my cheeks that were purging red decreased in size and redness. This bar smells good, helps clear up acne, doesn't clog your pores, and leaves your skin smooth and clear! I'm going to continue using and buying if effectiveness doesn't wear off.

Pros

• Doesn't clog pores
  • Smells good
  • Helps with acne
  • Leaves skin smooth and clear

Cons

• Doesn't remove all makeup
  • Can dry out skin
  • moderate
  • for a day or two
  • $ 4
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've had mild to moderate acne for almost 15 years and have tried many of the products on this site at one time or another. I wish I found this product sooner. It removes oil without over drying. I've never had a problem with redness or irritation. My skin feels comfortable. The other cleansers by this brand were either too drying, or left too much oil, but as Goldilocks would say, "This one is just right". Keep in mind, it's a cleanser, not a cure.

Pros

• Cheap, removes oil without drying, great for long term use as your skin changes with age.

Cons

• Not easily portable for traveling
  • light
  • for more than a year
  • $ 6
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i love this. i'm a picker. i pick my pimples and make them bleed and scab. this is a miracle. its not only clearing out my pores and stopping new pimples, but its making the scabs i still have and the open ones heal seriously quick. the only thing i dont like is that i have seriously dry skin and this is seriously drying. considering its meant for dry skin...idk. its worth it. a moisturizer does the trick. so great. im forever with cetaphil!

Pros

• gentle
  • smells great
  • gets my makeup off
  • tightens skin, which gets clears my pimples

Cons

• very drying, which is weird cause its for dry skin
  • moderate
  • for about a week
  • $ 3.99
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

OMG I am stocking up on this soap. I would give it 5 stars if it could remove all of my makeup as well, but I would really give it a 4.5

Pros

• My acne cleared up dramatically in 2 days after use. My face does not dry out and I actually started using less acne medication creams.

Cons

• Doesnt remove all of my makeup so I have to use a different cleanser for when I wear foundation
  • moderate
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I use this every day in the morning to shave, and it serves that purpose well. However, at night I prefer to use the cetaphil liquid cleanser, which I simply find to be less drying (and thus less irritating).

Pros

• Lathers very well (good for shaving)
  • Uses less packaging/plastic than a liquid cleanser

Cons

• Very drying
  • moderate
  • for about a year
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I've been using this bar for over a year in conjunction with the regimen. overall it has certainly worked well, although I have still never been 100% clear. it does what Ken suggests a cleanser should, which is to clean your skin without having any anti-acne properties of its own.

because this cleanser is very mild and easy to use, I never really thought that much about it until I found out it was tested on animals. I plan on writing to Cetaphil to let them know how disappointed I am by this, and that they have lost my business until they reverse their practices. as much as I want clear skin I'm not okay with harming and killing animals to get it.

although I'm frustrated that I need to search for something new, this cleanser was not anything super special to being with, so perhaps my search will lead me to something better! off to scour this website for the next thing ...

Pros

• gentle
  • removes makeup

Cons

• tested on animals
  • disintegrates if left in shower
  • light
  • for more than a year
  • $ 5
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

Give it a try if you don't have sensitive skin.

Pros

• Helps prevent breakouts

Cons

• Not perfect.
  • Leaves skin feeling tight and looking shiny
  • Skin dries out a huge amount.
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 5
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.