Page 2 of Cephalexin Oral Antibiotic reviews

3.7/5 - 91 reviews

Cephalexin Oral Antibiotic

250 mg, 333 mg, 500 mg, or 750 mg of Cephalexin.

Cellulose, D & C Yellow No. 10, F D & C Blue No. 1, F D & C Yellow No. 6, gelatin, magnesium stearate, silicone, titanium dioxide.

Reviewed on February 22, 2013

Works really well for me. I have cystic acne on occasion and in a few days it is cleared up. I have been on Accutane three different times. (I'm 34 M) I've never had side effects from it but obviously that's not an option anymore. Trying the Blue Light treatment as well.

Reviewed on February 15, 2013

Let me just start off by saying I'm not a typical patient, I know the medical field and am very fimiliar with pharmaceuticals. So typically when I go to see a doctor I end up getting what I'm looking for. I know the Rx and I know what these drugs are doing in my body. I also know the different families and what's Strong and what's not. That being said...

Long story short, my acne was so severe I went in telling them i wamt acutane not some garabge anti biotic. I qualified for acutane, but my PA(not doctor) wouldn't give it to me. She gave me Doxy instead. After 2 months on that I saw incredible changes. The experience sucked horribly but it did work. Sadly I knew that with anti biotics in 2-5 months my acne would return. Sure enough 2 months after my acne started to break out again, I went back tellin her that I tried the doxy, it worked, but now it's coming back, I want acutane. She gave me the run around and talked about how she has no issue prescribing acutane but than proceeded to attempt to scare me outta the medication. So I just said, whatever, give me more doxy since that worked last time. She wouldnt(big surprise....not!) and gave me the keflex. I told her I didn't want it, that keflex isn't nearly as powerful as doxy, I wanted the doxy. She wouldn't give me the doxy, so I walked out with the keflex. It's been about 6-7 weeks and of coarse, big surprise, it hasn't done crap. When i called to be switched back to Doxy the PA WOUKDNT DO IT!! Garbage anti biotic. I go back on the 20th to speak to an actual doctor about my skin. Hopefully they'll stop giving me the run around and just give me the acutane.

by BoozeBaron on 10/31/2014 07:43
Sorry - but based on just your sentence structure, spelling, and supposed 'knowledge' of all these meds, combined with going to see a simple "P.A." vs. a qualified Dermatologist - Sadly, it makes your opening paragraph very unbelievable.... and with all due respect, borderline ignorant sounding. For starters, it's "Accutane" (Isotretinoin) not 'acutane' and has 2 "C's" in it... I was one of the first 'trial' candidates at Baylor Medical Hospital, Dallas, TX in the early 80's when it first was being tested. It was my 'last resort' - and "yes", it does work great on deep cystic acne for most - But, there are several very good reasons for your P.A.'s reluctance. The side effects (as you well know, having been 'qualified') are horrendous, DANGEROUS, and most important, permanent (life-long/lasting)... For me, just to name a few side effects I've had over the past 25+ years now... Partial blindness (like night blindness), non-stop ringing in my ears, partial deafness in my left ear, panic attacks (RX controlled now - but started the day I started the trial and proven now by Mayo Clinic to be related) and also "dry eye syndrome"... So, 25 years now of having to put artificial tears in, daily ... and that's just the tip of the iceberg as to what I wish to share publicly. Did it clear my cystic acne? Like a charm - for about 5 yrs - but when it came back again (as it will) - I am trying other RX methods now - as the rest of my body (eyes, ears, nose, throat, vision, liver, and some other internal organs) are messed up forever. Of course, these type of side effects don't happen to everyone, but is it really worth the risk to the rest of your body? Plus, you acting like a child 'demanding' XYZ treatment from your P.A. doesn't show much wisdom or maturity if you ask me... Maybe if you approach her with a bit more respect and/or asked for a proper referral to a qualified dermatologist, you'd net better results eh? Food for thought. I did myself just recently (2014) consider going back on Accutane again - as new studies show that lower dosages work just as well as mega doses of old (10mg now) but still passed on it for obvious reasons. Just do your research - and go to a proper doctor. Oh yes, and don't forget to make sure your "P.A." does your monthly liver tests too - as I'm sure you already know - for that's the first thing that WILL be effected. Then get a good lawyer for later: [link removed] Cheers... BB PS: It's "Then" not "Than" / "Course" not "Coarse" / "Antibiotic" is one word / Telling not "tellin".... PSS: Doxy is in a totally different 'family' than Cephalexin (which is what this thread is about anyway) - Not your battles with your P.A. over Doxy. IMHO - Give the Doxy another go (and avoid the sun whilst on it!) Good luck
Reviewed on October 18, 2012

After being on doxy for 7 months it stopped working for me and ulitmately got worse than it has ever been. Too afraid to go on accutane because of the initial IB lasting to up to 2 months or end of course treatment I felt antibiotics were faster and was the right choice right now.

I mentioned to my Derm about putting me on Minocycline since from what I read those who get immuned to Doxy just switch within the family. He however strongly suggested I try this medicine before doing that but it was my choice he said he would put me on that if that's what I wanted. Obviously I went with his decision, what the hell do I know about all these meds.

He also prescribed two topicals, one for day and night. Aczone for the morning and Tazorac for the night.

I'm on 250mg. I wonder if that's enough since I read some of you on 500 mg, and believe me when I say my acne is severe.

One thing I noticed is a slight pain with my jaw. That however could just be cause by my body for whatever reason and not the meds. Oh and I've only gotten diarrhea once. I really don't see any problems with the drug. Believe me it is way better than Doxy in my personal experience and opinion. Doxy tastes disgusting even when you shot take it like a shot glass, it made me extremely nauseous and tired. Oh boy it was hard for me to get through my work shifts when on Doxy, I was always so tired. So sometimes I would skip a day without it. Doxy really screwed me over, even though it cleared my face for the most part of 6 to 7 months, it left me with a hideous acne I have never had this bad.

Reviewed on September 27, 2012

I'm a 31 year old male and have been struggling with acne for years. I started using Dan's regimen 4 years ago which improved my acne dramatically. A year ago, however, I started breaking out with the large, deep, cystic pimples I've always been prone to. No explanation for that yet.

A family doctor put me on cephalexin as a hold-me-over until I could see a dermatologist. I was skeptical, having been put on minocycline years before with no improvement.

Taking cephalexin, however, has been a minor godsend. (I've continued using benzoyl peroxide as well). I've developed 3 cysts since taking it but each was progressively less severe than the ones before and they healed even faster. This respite has allowed my remaining spots to fade significantly without just piling on more cysts on top of them.

Acne sufferers know that at desperate times they'll take what they can get, which is why I'm rating this highly as an effective, yet temporary, fix for moderately severe acne.

Reviewed on August 29, 2012

An O.K. product, but I've only been using it for a month now.

As with most antibiotics, stomach discomfort is a common side effect. Personally, I cannot take it on a completely empty stomach. I am prescribed 500mg capsules to be taken twice a day. I try to take them at the exact same time everyday and night (11 am & 11 pm) bcuz I've noticed a flare up if I take the product at different times.

I suppose that everyone is different, so side effect response will undoubtedly vary; however, you should expect some effect on you stomach and/or GI tract by taking this product for more that 3 months.

I use to think that I would never have to take an oral antibiotic, after taking clindamycin (topical) for over a year and having it work miracles on my skin. But after bouncing around to different products (retin-A, differin, erythromycin), I've realized that my skin is very difficult to treat, and topical medications were simply insufficient.

My description:

22 year old male (latin/white).

Extremely oily skin - combo skin (t-zone can get dry).

Moderate acne for the last 5 years.

My routine:

Morning -

Cetaphil Foam Wash - awesome btw

Aczone

Keflex (cephalexin)

Night -

Cetaphil Foam Wash

Tazorac 0.1% gel

Cetaphil lotion - moisturize as needed

In addition, I take a multivitamin (high potency), Fish Oil (360mg twice a day), Zinc (50mg), Vitamin D (3000 IU), as well as drinking plenty of water and avoiding cheese and sweets.

I also try to get as much sun as possible.

Hope my review helps someone out there decide whether Keflex is the right product for them.

Reviewed on June 20, 2012

I gave this 2 stars because I've only been taking it for three weeks, so it may just take a little longer to work. However, I haven't seen any improvement in my skin and as someone who experiences frequent yeast infections, it's a drag to be on antibiotics for an extended period of time.

My routine right now is to take Cephalexin 150 Mg twice a day, along with Dan's regimen (and AHA+ at night). To give you an idea of my skin, I have 2 or 3 active pimples right now and a week ago I had 6 (because I was on my period). The bottom line is that I haven't seen any changes in my skin. Hope it starts working!

Reviewed on May 22, 2012

Bottom line - it works for cystic acne, i think most antibiotics work for cystic acne. You cannot use topical creams or methods to cure cystic acne. Its under too many layers of skin and the only way to penetrate it is through medicine.

My face is clearer now than its been in awhile, i have been on this medication for around 5 weeks. My blemishes are even less noticeable.

Its also very affordable if you have decent prescription coverage

Reviewed on January 25, 2012

it works! finally a antibiotic that has worked for me. I'm a 24 y/o female and I've tried everything minocycline, tetracycline, doxycycline..this was definitely different and I've been on it for about 6 weeks and really starting to see a difference in my skin and other people are noticing it too. you just have to make sure to take it as prescribed.. if you miss a few doses your skin will flare up. also my doctor recommended to use it with 10% benzoyl peroxide face wash which has also been helping (although drying)..better results than the salicylic acid one I was using. i also use 1.0% tretinoin cream at night with the antibiotic. this combo has been working really well for me. I didn't have any side effects to the medication either.

Reviewed on December 7, 2011

I have had acne of various levels of severity ever since highschool (27 now) and had the opportunity to try this anti-biotic and its really works. I use it along with the oil cleanse method (olive oil, castor oil, and tea tree oil) and my skin looks (relatively) great. ALL my tiny acne bumps on my forehead are gone and the bigger ones are healing with no new ones in sight (I did seem to have a slight out break of bigger cyst like acne right after I started taking this, but not convinced this was related to the medication)...this is obviously not a long term fix, and I do sorta worry what will happen once I stop taking it, but as far as its effectiveness to clear your skin up quickly, this is amazing...500mg 4 times a day...if you want to remember what you look like without acne, try this...

Reviewed on June 22, 2011

So my doctor started me on this antibiotic after I received weird side effects from Minocycline, which wasn't working anyway. I am so happy I did! I have been on this for a little over a week, NO side effects for me! I also just started my menstrual cycle since then and haven't had one breakout yet. How is that possible? I have strugged with acne since I was about 15, and have tried several products. My skin is clear right now. Of course, I still have plenty of old scars from picking and such (bad habit, i know), but I can deal with those later. Right now, I am happy that my skin is actually clear! I should also mention that I do not use this with any prescribed skin products. However, I do use a lemon/honey mask a couple times a week, which has been helping heal old scars. This has helped tremendously. I hope it's not too early, to give Cephalexin credit, but I know my skin.... and in one week of taking it, my skin feels amazing!