Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar (as a topical) reviews

3.9/5 - 46 reviews

Brand: Braggs

Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar (as a topical)

Recovering from oil cleansing; this saved my skin!
Reviewed on July 21, 2016

I never write reviews but this one I had to! I have always struggled with cystic acne and dry skin. I am on the pill, which no longer works to keep my skin clear, and I have tried everything out there. For a while, a gentle cleanser and jojoba oil to moisturize was keeping me fairly clear (I've found my skin doesn't like BP or salicylic acid) so I try and stick with a simple skincare routine. However, out of the blue I started breaking out like crazy again; chin, cheeks, forehead, everywhere (mostly cystic pimples) but also regular spots and also a rash like acne on my cheeks by my nose (seems like eczema or something, not sure); either way my skin just seemed super congested. (I also do not eat dairy aside from cheese every now and then, and I'm vegetarian for diet reference).

So I decided after lots of research to start oil cleansing with coconut oil, and let me tell you my skin was AMAZING and perfectly clear doing this the first week! My skin cleared up super fast, it was hydrated (finally), glowing, my fine lines were diminished; I thought I had found my HG product. Until....I broke out even WORSE. My skin got so incredibly bad that I was just in shock. I broke out in even more cysts (under the skin that you couldn't see) and normal breakouts, but ALSO, with tiny tiny bumps all over my face which I have never experienced before. I've never had a texture issue ever, until now. I also had what felt like huge cysts or welts forming under the skin on my forehead; spots so giant and uncomfortable I was scared to see how worse they would get.

I was so uncomfortable and also itchy! My skin was ITCHY and not from dryness! I have no clue what was going on, but I figure that the coconut oil (it was pure, unrefined, cold pressed, organic) had just wrecked my skin and set off a reaction. So trying everything in my arsenal for a week: BP 3%, cerave cleanser, ponds cold cream cleanser (had saved me in the past), my jojoba oil, EVERYTHING I had, and nothing was working. It wasn't just the cysts that were bothering me, but the itching was driving me crazy! I was at my wits end so I ordered the acne.org system + the AHA. I haven't received it yet, but I knew I needed something to help clear it up or try because I was miserable.

After ordering the kit I thought "I don't even want to use BP so idk what I'm going to do"; like I said, my skin doesn't like it. So I started a simple 3 step system and in 2 days all of my big bumps are gone, aside from one that is still healing, and all of my small textured bumps are almost gone as well, including the rash around my nose/cheek area which hadn't improved with anything else, and I'm not dry! So here's what I'm doing:

Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser AM/PM

Bragg's ACV with the mother & water mixed: as a toner AM/PM

Cerave Moisturizing Lotion AM/PM

and that's it!!!

The ACV has been a life saver for me! I cannot believe the discomfort is gone and all of my spots! The gentle cleanser and moisturizer I think is all my skin needs as it doesn't like complicated. So I'm going to use the acne.org cleanser & moisturizer when it comes to replace my cerave, and stick with the toner!

I know it won't work for everyone, but ACV is $5 and it can't hurt to try! I would go with the Bragg's though, I've read it's the best because it has "the mother", and I would agree that it's your safest bet since it's all organic!

I just joined the community even though I've been a long time lurker, and plan on posting before and after pics of my just 2 days on this regimen for reference so if you're curious as to what my skin was doing and want to see the afters, follow my profile, they should be up soon!

ACV advice please
Reviewed on July 4, 2016

Hi I'm a 17 year old male and have had acne since 13/14. I never get cystic acne but I have a face full of medium sized red dots. I used benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin as phosphate 1% and benzoyl peroxide 5% last summer and my face was almost completely cleared but I still had about 15 red spots on either side of face so I went to my doctor again because my prescription was used up and she prescribed Epideo to finish clearing up my face. Ok, that is when ALL HELL broke LOOSE! I started breaking out NONSTOP. My face got totally red and pealed like crazy in the beginning but now I'm more used to it. I'm still using it a couple times a week. When I was so dry I started using coconut oil which helped so much with dryness but I firmly believe that it breaks me out, I have tried it twice and each time it feels GREAT but after about a week after using it once or twice I break out in very small dots everywhere. I firmly believe in curing acne naturally and have for the past couple months eliminated all dairy, most sugar and most meat from my diet and I always eat a homemade vegetable soup consisting of green peppers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and celery. I eat this for most of my meals daily. And have been using a multivitamin plus zinc and vit d3 4-5,000 IU per day. Plus I drink lots of alkaline water every day and wash my face with acidic 4.0 water. My face has not cleared up in the least. Do you think it's because I have only been doing it for 2-3 months or am I doing something wrong. I also run/work in a woodworking business with LOTS of dust, is this a negative for my skin? If so what can I do to help? I've read MANY reviews on Acne.org and YouTube of how people healed there acne by drinking and/or using Apple Cider vinegar as a topical. And what I have noticed is most people that this has helped are people that are close to there 20s or older I'm 17, so if someone could give me some advice if I should run to the store and pig out on ACV or not, and my whole acne disaster I would be soooo grateful. My email is daviddyck17@[link removed]

Thanks!!!!

P.S. I hang out only one day a week and try to hide my face as much as possible. I HATE my face and have for so long, if this would help me get cleared I would have my life back!! #fingerscrossed

by DivineDaisy on 07/07/2016 02:29
I would stop using coconut oil on your face as it is fairly comedogenic - meaning it clogs your pores - so you are most likely correct in saying that is has caused some of your breakouts. I would look into other oils for your face if you wish to go this route - there are so many natural bloggers that can give you more advice and specific oils/routines. (Personally, I would start by doing random searches on Pinterest, ie. 'facial oils' 'natural acne cure' and then finding blogs that way). If you are going to use ACV as a topical toner, you NEED to dilute it with water. So half ACV and half distilled water twice daily on your face as a toner if you wish to use this product. I would also recommend seeing an esthetician in conjunction to seeing a dermatologist. While insurance covers a dermatologist and not an esthetician, they may be able to help you with more natural cures and home remedies as opposed to a dermatologist who just writes prescription after prescription (been there , done that, I know how frustrating that is!). My last piece of advice is to try not to let your skin hold you back! I am 23 and have been struggling with acne for about 10 years now. While I have never cystic acne like some, I do know how insecure your skin can make you. So while you are trying all these different things to clear your skin, try to make peace with what you have and love yourself BECAUSE of your imperfections! Good luck :)
ACV as a toner
Reviewed on June 21, 2016

ACV as a toner is awesome! well it took 3 weeks for me to see a difference because i had to adjust the ratio of the concentration of acv to water until I got the solution that was compatible with my skin ( which was 1:3 with 12 drops of blemish free oil). I tried different combinations such as water & acv, water. green tea extract & acv. and last was water, acv and drops of blemish free oil which has essential oils such as tea tree, jojoba, and VCO to name a few. Overall, the product is great in preventing acne and treating those acne that are just starting to appear. However, the only disadvantage I can identify is the strong smell.

In addition to this, I also took supplements such as Evening Primrose Oil, Zinc picolinate, and Vitamin E. I also spot treated my acne after cleansing and toning with tea tree acne-gel.

Not for me.Helps with scars but not pimples
Reviewed on June 10, 2016

Im not sure about this and i still fail to understand this. I was hoping to be so positive with ACV as i had heard such amazing reviews online and really wanted it to work. A little about me and my situation I am 27 female with dry skin & was one of the few lucky people blessed with amazing skin growing up and never having issues with acne (maybe once in a while here and there every 2 years) but was generally happy with my skin. Until last year when Im not sure what triggered & i get these big one off pimple specifically on my cheek every now and then. I would say every 2 months to a month. I usually only get 1 big one but that is enough for me to feel ashamed and go in hiding for 3-4 days.

I have also noticed that this happens more in the spring/summer than in the winter. Thank god I live in Canada where its winter for 5 months . I am a big believer in natural products so I started using turmeric,manuka honey and youghurt masks 4-5 days a week & still use it and that has helped me a lot and its a very refreshing mask but as summer is approaching again, im back to square one these days with these one off big white heads forming on my cheeks. I have a habit of popping so one of them left a really bad ugly black scar right below my lip.

Last month, I tried using apple cider vinegar (organic) 1:4 vinegar:water ratio for 3 weeks as a toner everyday at night and then washing it off after 10minutes. In the beginning it felt like my skin was more glowy & it definitely helps in removing scars in a matter of days. That black scar I talked about above is almost gone now. But since my face is already dry, ACV made it EXTREMELY dry. It came to a point where my skin started peeling and my lips started hurting because of the dryness. This is after diluting it with water, thank god I didnt ever use it alone on my face. Now after 3 weeks and a Sahara Desert skin, I have a HUGE pimple on my cheek again in spite of ACV & I couldnt take the dryness anymore so I have stopped using it. I havent had a good experience with it topically so I am sad it didnt work for me.

Some suggestions if you want to use it, try only using it on your scars. It works wonders. ALWAYS dilute it and dont use it everyday, if you have dry skin maybe use it 2 times a week.

ACV and coconut oil
Reviewed on June 2, 2016

I experienced adult cystic acne on chine and cheeks and I a compulsive skin picker. The combination of ACV and coconut oil has been the only thing to transform my skin.

Feels like a bad sunburn
Reviewed on May 31, 2016

I do not recommend using ACV on your face at all. A lot of people talk about how it is some kind of miracle serum but I tried it 3 days ago and it gave me bad burns like a sunburn. It hurts to moisturize or put aloe Vera on but it helps to do both. A website recommended to mix Apple Cider Vinager and lemon juice and leave it on your face for an hour.... BAD, BAD, BAD, ADVICE!!! ACV must be properly diluted before use and honestly it's not worth it. I did some research and even people who have used it regularly are at risk of getting severe burns.

broke me out
Reviewed on May 28, 2016

I've been using this toner off and on for a couple months, it's not for me. First of all, it irritates the hell out of my skin, and I think that it's caused me to break out even more, i have a bunch of tiny red pimples all over my forehead (which does not usually happen to me), and it smells. My family cannot stand the smell. they say it smells like dirty, sweaty feet. it's never reduced the size of any pimples at all.

by kelbell812 on 06/30/2016 18:46
How long did you use it for? The same thing happened to my forehead (where I don't normally breakout) for the first two weeks and then after that my forehead was the clearest and smoothest it's ever been. Did you give it at least 3 weeks? ACV is a natural AHA and thus could cause your skin to purge a bit.
GREAT
Reviewed on May 27, 2016

This is a very good toner for my oily/ very acne prone skin. It really speeds up the healing process, and is fading my horrid ,bumpy sunspots nicely.I haven't has a breakout since. A 1:1 ratio of ACV to water works well for me.

MUST HAVE
Reviewed on May 20, 2016

This is a staple item that I must have in my house at all times. This is a product that I would not want to be without! I started using this about a year and a half ago as a toner/astringent and I absolutely love it! I noticed it faded my pimple scars , less breakouts and an improvement in pore texture. Best of all, it is natural and cheap.

Decent
Reviewed on May 16, 2016

After using super harsh chemicals and prescribed topicals by my derm I realized it didn't work at all, so I stopped. Then my acne flared up to the extreme! I decided to go the natural route by using ACV as a toner ( half water half ACV ) and also drinking a cup a day ( 2 tsp with water ). It's been about 2 weeks and the results are decent. It's great for evening out my complexion and makes my skin super soft. It also makes my acne turn white super fast so that its ready to be harvested and popped ( naturally of course ). However it does not stop acne from growing again. It's awesome for a every day toner but I would not count on it to cure your acne for good. I still get new ones almost every day.