I am pretty much always trying a new SPF. However, no matter how many I try, I seem to come up empty. In fact, up until now I could really only put my support behind Olay Complete All Day UV, despite its flaws.

Acne.org members and people around the office frequently ask me to trial products. A couple of weeks ago, Kent asked me to try Philosophy brand oil-free SPF30 and gave me a tube of it.

Quite suprisingly, I like it quite a bit. I actually prefer it to Olay. However, upon finding out how expensive it is, I was a bit sticker shocked. I don’t like recommending expensive products because I want the Regimen and all its components to remain accessible. The Philosophy SPF is $38 for only 2oz. However, since good SPFs come along very infrequently, I wanted to pass this along regardless of its high price. Click to read my review. If you have tried it, please add your review as well.

A member emailed me asking me to try this product as a possible drugstore brand low-percentage benzoyl peroxide. My review:

The good: It is a gel that goes on clear. I much prefer gel based BP to cream based because gel based does not turn white when you perspire, and is easier to apply. It also has a nice fragrance–not an added fragrance, but just a nice scent from the ingredients in the product. Next, it is a 2% benzoyl peroxide, which is close to the 2.5% that I recommend. Studies have only been performed on 2.5% in comparison to higher percentages. 2.5% works just as well as higher percentages, but does 2%? I’m not certain, but my guess is that it probably does the trick. It comes in a 1oz. tube which, while still small, is still slightly larger than Neutrogena On-The-Spot.

The bad: The biggest drawback of this BP is that it gets gloopy when moisturizer is applied on top of it. I found the combination of this BP and moisturizer to be pretty yucky. Unfortunately, it was so bad that it really was a dealbreaker. The 1oz. size ($5.99 retail) is very small considering the amount of BP that is required to keep the skin clear. Using this BP with the Regimen could get very costly. Next, it is quite a thick consistency which makes it a little tough to apply. I would love to see it made in a thinner consistency.

The bottom line: I do not recommend this product for use with the Regimen because it does not seem to work well with moisturizer, is overly thick, and comes in a small size. However, if you can find a moisturizer that works well with it, take extra care to apply it very gently, and can afford the cost, it may be OK in a pinch.

The new acne treatment ratings and reviews pages are up! The new ratings and reviews pages should be more streamlined. We switched from multiple 1-5 ratings to one global 1-5 rating to simplify the process. Navigation is improved, and it should be much easier for you guys to add products too. If you find any glaring bugs, or if you have strong opinions on what needs to be added or changed, please reply to this blog post or to the post I’m making in the Announcements forum.

These new pages are the result of months of hard work. A big thanks to Joel and Paul for being amazing as usual.

Enjoy!