The salicylic acid that many of you asked for is now available. I will not be putting this product on the main page of danielkern.com. It will only be available through this link.

I’m keeping the salicylic acid somewhat of a secret because I made a very limited amount of it. I want you guys to give me feedback before deciding whether to make this a staple product. If you do decide to order it I’m asking for you to commit to taking a one page survey on it so we can all decide what we like about it and what needs changing and whether to make it in larger batches for the general public.

More about it:

It is a light feeling, moisturizing cream which has 2% salicylic acid. This is the legal limit. 1 1/2% of that 2% is good ‘ol regular sal acid, and 1/2% is time released. After speaking with several master formulators we decided on 1/2% time released so that we get an initial boost of sal acid and some extra lingering and being released slowly. Salicylic acid, as we know, helps peel inside the pore, keeping pores from clogging and initiating acne. I also put a ton of other stuff in this product. I included lichochalcone, a Chinese licorice root extract which is potently calming and soothing to acne-prone skin. This is the same stuff that’s in our AHA+. I also put sebum reducers to help control oil. Lastly, I put natural antimicrobials in there. My theory with this product is to attack acne from every possible angle, using all of the very latest performance ingredients on the market.

The cream absorbs quickly into the skin. It is a kind of tan/yellow color due to the licochalcone. It has a characteristic odor due to the combination of natural ingredients. This scent be a little strong when applying it, but it goes away completely in a matter of a minute or two.

My bottom line on it:

You guys know I am always completely honest. Well, here goes some more honesty…salicylic acid is not benzoyl peroxide, no matter what other performance ingredients you put in there. Benzoyl peroxide is our workhorse. It’s what will clear up acne completely when used within the Acne.org Regimen. However, I do think this salicylic acid is the best ever made if I do say so myself. It’s time released and is jam packed with other stuff that I think will really help. It’s absolutely everything I can possibly throw together to bump up salicylic acid’s effectiveness. I tried it myself for about six weeks. I used it in the morning and benzoyl peroxide at night, which was great because I could wear colored clothing during the day without worrying about bleaching anything. This regimen of sal acid in the morning and benzoyl peroxide at night kept me clear for the first four weeks or so, but then I started breaking out just a bit here and there. I prefer 100% perfect skin, so I went back to the full Acne.org Regimen with benzoyl peroxide twice a day.

Currently I keep some of this salicylic acid around and use it as a nighttime moisturizer when I’m in the mood. Because this salicylic acid is so soothing, I can use it with my benzoyl peroxide no problem.

My bottom, bottom line is really to wait until you guys give me feedback on it so we can all decide together how good this stuff is. At that point I’ll decide whether to keep making it.

13 thoughts on “Salicylic Acid now available in a limited amount

1. Echoing the above post…the grand poobah of skin care, Paula Begoun, has pounded into me that in order for BHA to be effective, the ph MUST be between 3-4. I’m sure this product is in that range, seeing as how much effort was put into making it, but just curious :)

2. As a relatively new member who began Dan’s Regimen with BP about a month ago, I must say I’m stoked to see this product available. I just placed my order for it, because using Dan’s BP (although easily the most effective acne-fighting product I’ve ever used) is just too much for my skin, even considering the fact that I’ve used various BP products ever since middle school (I’m now 20). As soon as I slowly work my way up to just 1 full pump and do that for about a week, my skin becomes way too dry and extremely flaky by the end of the week. Keep in mind that I also use Dan’s Moisture w/ Jojoba Oil following the application.

I tried Murad once and it felt fantastic on my skin. Not drying whatsoever compared to Proactiv and their BP products I formerly used. Too bad Murad’s products and regimen as a whole, to put it bluntly – sucked, causing a worsening of acne like none other.

I was hoping to see a little more info as far as how I should go about incorporating this product into the regimen seeing as how you call this a moisturizer as well. Should I continue use of Dan’s regular moisturizer w/ Jojoba Oil as well? My plan is to replace Dan’s BP with this product and immediately begin using a generous amount. Something I know I won’t have to worry about now since it’s Sal Acid. Dan – if you happen to read through this entirely too long comment and have any thoughts as to whether I should or shouldn’t continue use of your moisturizer with this product, I’d love to hear them before my product arrives, either through a comment or email. Your regimen has worked wonders for me in such a short time and completely enhanced my confidence, but the BP drying is simply too much and I’m hoping that going with your Cleanser, followed by this new Sal Acid and your Moisturizer w/ Jojoba Oil will be just as good an alternative w/out the dryness and bleaching of BP. Any input would be greatly appreciated and I’ll definitely fill out the form after getting some hands-on time with this new product. Thanks!

3. Dan, I am absolutely THRILLED that you are offering an alternative to BP.

I’ve used BP successfully for about 20 years. It was the only medication that truly cleared me. However, I have recently developed an allergic reaction to BP, which shows you can develop an allergy to anything at any time in your life! My cheeks swell from BP! I couldn’t believe this was happening to me, no matter what brand I tried!

I love to do research and researched all the alternatives out there. Lactic Acid, which is used in India and Malaysia as an acne remedy did nothing to help me. I tried other alternatives as well. I don’t want to depend on prescription drugs. It seems I do well on salicylic acid products that contain anti-microbrials. They’ll never keep me clear as BP, but I can live with the one or two zits, compared to face full of pimples. I am doing very well on the new Avon Clearskin Professional Acne kit, which features salicylic acid, anti-microbrials, glycolic acid and other agents which help with acne. I must say I am thrilled with the results, although I’ll probably never be totally clear like I was with BP, but salicylic acid with added anti-microbrials is still a winner.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for offering an alternative to us who just CAN’T use BP, for whatever reason. I am ordering my salicylic acid NOW, before the limited edition sells out. Is the survey included with the product?

Thanks again for offering the rest of us something we can use!

4. I have not got acne, but I do use salicyclic acid base ointment for fungus infections.

They are really effective, a tiny amount use twice ( once a day at the end of the day ) will clear up the infection.

Here is a good “listen” on acne I discoverd yesterday

5. Dan, one of the things I’ve appreciated about your products – or at least the BP and AHA+, which are the ones I use – is how minimal and targeted the ingredients are. For example, every other 2.5% BP makes my skin sting because of unnecessary inactive ingredients.

Now, although I don’t know anything about manufacturing SA and I believe your commitment to quality, the ingredients list is not as minimal as your other two outstanding products. A couple that stood out to me are Cetearyl Alcohol (a fatty alcohol, right?) and Safflower Oil. What is the purpose of these in the SA?

6. It’s great that you are offering different options to people who maybe can’t use benzoyl peroxide, because they find it too harsh on their skin or their allergic to it.

7. I just started using the regime. I’ve used on the spot BP since junior high (I’m now in my 20s) for the a few pimples that I would have somewhat regularly, although I hadn’t been using it as much since I had less pimples as I got older. However, I just moved to Europe and I suddenly started breaking out horribly. I thought I was done with that now since I’m an adult and I was really embarrassed. It was 2 months before I finally realized that even though I was using the same products from the exact same company, the ingredients over here are different. I noticed that they all used Salicylic acid as their main active ingredient (even Proactive uses SA instead of BP over here) Then I read about Dan’s regime and finally found some BP after asking a Pharmacist who kept it behind the counter, and there were only 3 choices. I immediately saw a difference. My husband said he noticed that it looked better the very next day. SA didn’t just do a crappy job at stopping acne, I felt like it actually made it worse. BP dries my skin too and I have to moisturize a lot but at least it has never made my skin worse. Salicylic Acid is bad stuff, I think you should just stick with the products that you have proven work.

8. 15 yr old daughter has switched from Paula’s Choice 2% liquid SA to your SA. PH level notwithstanding, your product seems to be more effective. She noticed, then I noticed. So apparently, PH level is not necessarily the controlling factor in effectiveness, at least in this one teen. The time release aspect may be a factor since I think she only uses your SA once a day.

Your BP alone does not seem to control my daughter’s facial and back acne. Although her skin doesn’t become red, I think it is a bit too irritating since she seems to get open sores which introduce more bacteria. The combo of your BP, AHA+, and SA seems to work best.

Please, please, PLEASE don’t discontinue your SA. It is the best ever. I am tempted to stock up, but I know you want a lot of people to try it, so I won’t. I just hope you have another batch manufactured before her tube runs out.

9. Thomas,
    You should use the AHA in place of the moisturizer. It works wonders. The AHA exfoliates, clams and moisturizes your skin. I was having the same flakiness problem, but the AHA made my skin perfect. No more dry skin!