Betadine (Povidone-Iodine) reviews

4.3/5 - 32 reviews

Active ingredient
Povidone-iodine, 10% (1% available iodine).

Inactive ingredients
Purified water, sodium hydroxide.

Good overnight spot treatment for inflamed/infected pimples
Reviewed on January 30, 2014

After using it as a spot treatment and mask for 2-3 months, it worked great at the beginning but just blocked my pores from breathing properly over night. 50/50 treatment but not the best. Best used as a spot treatment for inflamed and nasty infected pimples - then when they are healed a bit better put benzoyl on them and they are gone :)

by Accordianist on 10/09/2014 04:31
if its good why only 2 stars?
Good for healing
Reviewed on December 12, 2013

I put this on two zits the other day and they reduced dramatically in size. I've been putting in on a huge area of cystic acne that's been there for about 2 months. It's not helping as well there, but it will work on the normal pimples. I like it and it's non-drying and doesn't really sting or burn.

Iodine
Reviewed on November 18, 2013

Please educate yourself about iodine before using this, especially if you are pregnant!! Iodine is absorbed into the blood stream, through your skin. It is a really important mineral, our bodies only need a small amount, and we don't produce it naturally, within the body. Many countries passed laws in the early-to-mid 1900's, adding it to salt because populations weren't getting enough of it. Some say we still don't. Too much iodine (in the body) can cause SERIOUS, long term health problems! I'd like to try topical iodine myself, because it seems to have fascinating healing properties - but I won't until I know for sure how much iodine I already have in my system, through a blood test. Applying Iodine to small areas seems much safer than spreading it all over your back, like the one reviewer.

Reviewed on January 4, 2013

I have been prone to cystic acne, but am now dealing with large pores in the T-zone of my face, and excessive oil in that area as well. Mixing generic Betadine with my Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleanser 2X per day has amazingly put a stop to that. I also apply a small amount of alpha hydrox Enhanced Lotion (approx. $10 online) on my face twice per day, right after cleansing. I can't believe the improvement! I wish each and everyone on this site sincere triumph over acne. God Bless!

Reviewed on October 11, 2012

I have used Doxycycline, Ive been on birth control, I have tried ProActiv, I have tried pretty much EVERY OTC product to clear my cystic acne. I cant remember how I came upon the idea of using Betadine, but I thought I would take the risk. What was the worst that could happen? Make my acne worse?

I started using it and broke out slightly for the first few weeks. But I kept up with my regimen of washing every night before bed and now, 4 months later, I cant believe the results! My skin is very soft and I very rarely have breakouts! If I do have a new pimple or cyst, it is hormonal.

Every niht I mix 4 drops of Betadine wit 3 pumps of Cetapyl for oily skin. I lather my face and use a face buffer to lightly scrub my face.

After washing my face, I pat dry and will dab on some Betadine onto any new small spots, let it dry, then I apply VapoRub over it. They both work together to calm and dry any new spot and sometimes pulls it to a head.

I cant say enough good tings about Betadine. It is the ONLY thing that as ever worked this wonderfully. I will continue to use tis product until a doctor orders me not to.

I AM ACTUALLY CLEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I WAS 11!!!!!!!! :)

Reviewed on June 24, 2012

Ok guys didn't know if you know this but this is no different from alcohol, BP, butt creme, hydrocortizone, or any other antiseptic germ killing chemical you put on your face.You might as well put on clorox.

Yes it will clear you up but what it does is kills your skin cells so in the long run you are doing more damage to yourselfs. just thought id let you all know. Use as a quick fix but seriously chnage your eating habits and live to love your body...much better results + a million...

by mango1 on 08/13/2013 21:56
This is wrong, actually. Iodine is an element on the periodic table and it is also a necessary nutrient for survival. This is why we added it to salt - not getting enough iodine results in goiter and mental retardation in children. It is already naturally in food like fish and seaweed as well. It also does kill germs etc., and should maybe be diluted with an oil or cream before putting it on the skin, but it actually does heal the skin, not damage it. I've had a lot of success with it removing scars and healing breakout spots and reducing my breakouts so far. But it is a well known nutrient. A little google searching would have turned that up.
by JackieP on 04/11/2014 19:13
@smoze2 Please explain about this: "what it does is kills your skin cells so in the long run". tnx
Reviewed on June 23, 2012

I add a few drops to my cleanser in my hand and wash my face with it morning and night. The most important thing to do is let it sit for a few minutes, if not longer. I let it sit while I brush my teeth and put on deodorant. I haven't had any break outs since I've used this and my face isn't an OILY MESS. By the way, I bought the generic brand from Rite Aide because it was a few dollars cheaper. It works great.

Reviewed on June 15, 2012

I was pretty excited for this after reading the reviews, however it has made no significant change in my skin. I do not suffer from severe acne but I have pesky small bumps that stay for a while and the betadine made no difference on them. This may be a solution for someone with severe nodules, but it's still pretty frustrating to have these stubborn little pimples. I have tried adding it to my cleanser and my moisturizer, but it made no significant change. Hufff back to the drug store I go!

by shyme on 02/21/2014 14:28
i have the same problem, mine is not cystic acne,, it is small tiny bump and it red when i pop and after many days it turns to dark spot, i have this 3 weeks now, first i though it was just sign that my period is fast approaching or hormonal should i say, but until now i have some tiny little pimples, i am now starting using cetaphil cleanser diluted with concentrated povidone it will observe what is goes for me been using this 2 days now.. to have a face problem is very stressing... if i can talk to this tiny pimples, i want to tell go somewhere in my body not to my face.. by the way.. i am in first month of birth control diane35...
Reviewed on April 25, 2012

P.S use it one time a day :-) O and you will see your face clear up in a few days

Reviewed on April 20, 2012

I have been using betadine for a month or so for small papules and whiteheads. It is the most effective thing ive used and my sensitive skin has had no bad reaction to it =D. In addition, my blackheads are pretty much gone as i use it undiluted at night and diluted to a mild orange in the day. When you dilute it with water, it absorbs into the skin well and that strong color does not show up. I use this in combination with a baking soda and water scrub at night + a gentle extraction tool. I also take two apple cider vinegar pills, two odorless garlic and one vitamin c pill per day. This takes care of the breakouts from the inside out, best regimen i've ever had. =D