Page 4 of Benzoyl Peroxide reviews

3.4/5 - 196 reviews

Benzoyl Peroxide.

Reviewed on October 9, 2011

i use the 10% benzoyl, i've been using it for almost two years and during the winter i get no acne and clear face, but during summer, fall and spring i get a loottttttttttttto of acne and very oily face, so basically it doesnt work besides during winter time. if you want it to work you have to wash your face, apply the cream, rub it for like 30 seconds, leave it on the skin for like 10 min that wash it off. But this sucks, ive been on for more than a year. I also use clindamycin phosphate, which does not work either

Reviewed on September 5, 2011

I used Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% from Perrigo on my face for a couple of months now. At first, it dried out my skin and caused it to peel, but then I applied moisturizer after I let the Benzoyl Peroxide dry on my face, therefore making it less dry. After about 1 week of use, the peeling stopped and my face wasn't as dry before. Now my acne has reduced and only small tiny ones remain on me. Not only that, some of my acne scars and blackheads have faded too.

So basically, the flaws are...

Dry skin ~ Just apply moisturizer on your face

Easily sunburned ~ When you go outside in the sun for longer than a short period of time, put on oil-free sunblock

For me, these are the steps I use for BP:

1. At night, before going to bed, wash your hands with soap to remove dirt and bacteria.

2. Then wet your face with lukewarm water.

3. Use a cleanser/scrub and gently rub it around your face.

4. Rinse off cleanser with lukewarm water.

5. Pat face dry with a clean towel.

6. Apply Benzoyl Peroxide all around face, except for your lips and under the eyes for it can cause you to gain future wrinkles. (Just about a dime sized amount)

7. Wait for it to dry.

8. Wash hands.

9. Once dry, apply moisturizer to face and chapstick to lips.

10. Your done. :)

Reviewed on August 18, 2011

This work really well! It clears up acne scars and acne fairly quickly. It does make your skin dry so you'll need a good moisturizer. You'll probably need to increase the dosage after 3 or 4 months.

Reviewed on August 4, 2011

I used this product (5%) on my entire face for 2 days. My skin went from red for brown and blotchy and even swollen i some places. Even if it does help acne this product is very HARSH!

Reviewed on July 23, 2011

Let me just say that I've had acne for almost 10 years, im 26 now. I normally don't write reviews for this kind of thing, but after only a week's use, I can say that my skin is the best it's looked in 10 years. USE BP WITH CAUTION THOUGH. My first use, my skin was red, irritated and completely swelled up. One of the problem was that the BP kept eating at my face so I had to remoisterize every hour. I couldnt do this at night since I was asleep so when I woke up my face looked like hiroshima.

I stopped using it after 2 days and just used moisterizer for the next 4 days. After a week, my skin returned to normal and was free of pimples,. Now I just use it as a spot treatment. BP does work, even with a person like me who has incredibly sensitive skin. As with anything, please do extensive research before trying BP, best of luck to you all!

Reviewed on March 10, 2011

BP is the gold standard over the counter acne treatment. I have used it for many years. When I started using it, it was very effective and I was happy. I started on 2.5%. A few years later the 2.5% stopped working so I switched to 5%. Again it was very effective. A year or two later it stopped working so I switched to 10%. Again great success. Now however 10% no longer works and I am unable to control acne with this product.

One thing I have noticed is that my skin is extremely oily now whereas a few years ago my skin used to be only moderately oily. In line with my experience, check out pubmed id 17309452: in this study BP increased sebum output by at least 10% over an 8 week period!

If excess oil is a problem for you, I suggest you try another product (as I am now doing).

by squirrelsquirrel on 06/02/2013 21:56
Interesting about BP and sebum. What product are you trying on now?
Reviewed on December 31, 2010

I got acneside 5% last week as recommended by my aunt who is a GP. I noticed the effects from day 1 and was v impressed.

This is definitely the best topical ointment I have used for acne, being much more effective at spot drying and skin clearing than salicylic acid or tea-tree oil based products.

However, after a week I am a little disappointed that I am still getting spots although the BP is great at clearing them up quickly.

I am going to stick with it along with trying to eat healthier as being having too much chocolate over Xmas may also be causing breakouts.

So yeah, BP is great but it is a response rather than a solution to acne and so must be combined with some preventative measure.

Reviewed on December 2, 2010

YOU MUST GET SOMETHING WITH THIS IN IT. Only 2.5% please!

I saw the BIG improvement the very first night. Now, proud to say, my skin has been its clearest in 6 years! I don't even recognize my skin anymore. This is amazing. The drying is SO worth it. Plus, the peeling sort of gets rid of my acne scars. :]

Reviewed on November 25, 2010

Okay, look guys... if you use 10% BP on your face, it's going to burn your skin. You don't need anything stronger than 2.5%, and you only need to apply it once or twice a day. Don't go crazy with it. BP is the only thing that helps my stubborn acne. It hasn't cleared me up completely to date, but it is literally the only product that has given me any hope for improvement.

I say it has the potential to dry your face out. There WILL be some drying regardless of what you do, but you can avoid the horrible peeling and tightness if you use a good-quality moisturizer, you have a method of exfoliation and you DON'T use BP strong enough to strip the paint off your car.

A higher percentage of BP doesn't mean it'll work more effectively or quickly - it just means you're going to get a rude shock when it hurts you. You have to start out gradually with 2.5% BP, apply it VERY gently, and gradually increase how much you're using to allow your skin to develop a tolerance for it.

The Regimen on this site has clear instructions for those of you who aren't sure if you're doing it right or if you're using the right products. Look through all the information that's available to you, it's awesome.

Excuse me for sounding like a parrot, but seriously, don't use 10% BP on your face. It's fine on your body. But DON'T put it on your face!

(I've been there. Not cool. Live and learn, guys.)

Reviewed on November 24, 2010

Ok, so..

I used something called Basiron (swedish brand) AC 10%, this is the "strongest one".

I would say for all of you,

buy the least strong one, you don't want to expose your skin to unnecessary harsh conditions.

A model gave me this tip,

use a VERY thick layer and put it where it is the most needed only! Wait for it to dry, wash it off, then repeat but the second time don't wash it off! Put a towel on your pillow (to avoid bleaching) and sleep with it on your face!

Do this max.. 3 days in a row because it will even after the first day feel like your face has tightened up! I used to do this (when my acne was at its worst) about once a month, like a rehab treatment hah!

Now from time to time I use it on my smaller pimples or when I get hormonalbreakouts or one huge zit somewhere very exposed...

When you start to use this MOISTURIZE. Dont care if oilfree or with oils WHATEVER.

Just use something on your faces people!! Even if you at the beginning do not even see flaking, this still dries your skin out from the inside..

I do recommend this stuff because it is cheap and it works if you know your skin.

If you have real acne then do not use this because it is too strong, Dermalogica are expensive but I swear by their every product. They changed my life. Just invest in one product and you will see and feel a difference..

Good luck, and remember that acne is nothing to be embarrassed about! Many ppl go through this so you are not alone!!!