Benzoyl Peroxide

Recommended by 68% of visitors

Average price: $13.66

Most helpful review

By valerie, san jose, ca on 03/07/2012

The first time I used BP, I tried the 10%. I applied too much product and within 2 days my eyes were puffy. I visited my dermatologist and told her that I was allergic to BP. She said that maybe it wasn't an allergic reaction and to try a lower dose of BP. Being scarred from my first BP experience, I decided to take things extra slow! So here's what I did: 1. Take 5% (or lower dose) BP and apply a layer of it on your arms for 1 day. If your skin doesn't react, then you aren't allergic to it. Proceed to step 2. 2. Apply BP to a non-sensitive part of your face only. For example, I applied BP on my forehead since that is an area that produces the most oil and doesn't burn. Do this every other day for about a week. (week 1) 3. I applied BP to my forehead and also started applying it on my chin. I did this everyday, morning and night, for another week. (week 2) 4. I finally was able to apply BP all over my face. My cheeks are usually sensitive so I was hesitant, but the first time I applied BP, my cheeks were fine. I don't really worry about my cheek area so I only apply BP every other day, at night. (week 3) By this time my forehead and chin had cleared up. Acne scars on my cheeks had faded. When I go out (which is rare), I lightly exfoliate with my clarisonic, just to get old, dead, flaky skin off. I apply BP only on troubled spots, wait for it to dry, then apply moisturizer. I use bare minerals concealer and powder to cover the redness on my face. The one thing I don't like about BP is that it leaves my face red, which is weird when your face and body don't have the same color tone. And I walk around school and work out without make up on, so I get a little self-conscious going out with a super red face. But I stay positive knowing that eventually my face will clear up!.

Pros:
  • reduces acne
  • reduces oil
Cons:
  • cherry face
  • dries skin
  • flakiness
  • requires proper usage

54 out of 92 people found this review helpful

Benzoyl Peroxide.

Member reviews

By on

I'm 14 and still in the adolesence stage of my life. I have moderate acne across my forehead and jawline; so mainly in the T-zone.

My doctor prescribed 5% Benzoyl Peroxide to me and said that there would be irritation of the skin within the first few weeks of application.

After using the product for 2 weeks, I noticed my skin became extremely dry and red. I was restricted from going outside because the sunlight would cause my skin to become even more dry.

I finally decided to do some research on the side effects and advantages of Benzoyl Peroxide and made the choice to stop using it.

Being only 14, I decided that the side effects outweighed the advantages and that in the future, the Benzoyl Peroxide would do more harm than good.

I would recommend this product if you have severe acne and oily skin, otherwise, you may recieve a rude shock after a few weeks of the first application.

Pros

• *Fewer breakouts after first application.
  • *Helps in reducing the size of some pimples.

Cons

• *Increases photosensitivity.(Makes skin more sensitive to the sun).
  • *Increases oil production in the skin after about 6 months to a years worth of application.
  • *Irritation, redness and flaking of the skin.
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 15

By on

I've tried using saclyic acid, witch hazel, mint julep, astringents... all types of things to try and battle this terrible breakout I've had for the last few months(an awful reaction to Neutrogena's Pink Grapefruit Scrub). Nothing worked,and I avoided BP for a long time because I've heard it's harsh on your skin, and mine is sensitive. Finally, I gave in and decided maybe I needed something powerful. I picked up the Walgreens brand 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Gel, and I noticed results overnight. Granted, it wasn't some miracle - my skin wasn't suddenly flawless, but I noticed a huge difference. After a few days of use, I was a bit shocked to see the dryness(I woke up one morning and had a "beard" of dry skin), but my skin soon adjusted and I've found that Garnier's Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel Creme really helps to prevent dryness(plus, it has a soothing, cooling effect). I use BP twice daily - once in the morning, once at night, and I moisturize after each use. I've stopped washing with acne scrubs in the shower, except for once every few days when my skin feels particularly oily. I've been at it for about a month and I notice a significant improvement in my skin. :) It may not work for everyone, but for me it's been a life saver. I was beginning to feel like my acne would never improve.

Pros

• Reduction of acne overnight
  • Clears skin after daily use over a course of a few weeks
  • Skin drying improves after a few weeks

Cons

• Dries skin(duh)
  • If you don't use enough, or stop using it, it may slow down your results
  • moderate
  • for about a month
  • $ 5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

i use the 10% benzoyl, i've been using it for almost two years and during the winter i get no acne and clear face, but during summer, fall and spring i get a loottttttttttttto of acne and very oily face, so basically it doesnt work besides during winter time. if you want it to work you have to wash your face, apply the cream, rub it for like 30 seconds, leave it on the skin for like 10 min that wash it off. But this sucks, ive been on for more than a year. I also use clindamycin phosphate, which does not work either

Pros

• fades acne scars

Cons

• does not get rid of acne
  • bleaches your hair, and cloth
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 20
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% from Perrigo on my face for a couple of months now. At first, it dried out my skin and caused it to peel, but then I applied moisturizer after I let the Benzoyl Peroxide dry on my face, therefore making it less dry. After about 1 week of use, the peeling stopped and my face wasn't as dry before. Now my acne has reduced and only small tiny ones remain on me. Not only that, some of my acne scars and blackheads have faded too.

So basically, the flaws are...

Dry skin ~ Just apply moisturizer on your face

Easily sunburned ~ When you go outside in the sun for longer than a short period of time, put on oil-free sunblock

For me, these are the steps I use for BP:

1. At night, before going to bed, wash your hands with soap to remove dirt and bacteria.

2. Then wet your face with lukewarm water.

3. Use a cleanser/scrub and gently rub it around your face.

4. Rinse off cleanser with lukewarm water.

5. Pat face dry with a clean towel.

6. Apply Benzoyl Peroxide all around face, except for your lips and under the eyes for it can cause you to gain future wrinkles. (Just about a dime sized amount)

7. Wait for it to dry.

8. Wash hands.

9. Once dry, apply moisturizer to face and chapstick to lips.

10. Your done. :)

Pros

• Reduced acne
  • Removed a few acne scars
  • Blackheads slightly faded
  • Clearer complexion

Cons

• Can get your skin sunburned more easily
  • Dries skin the first couple of uses
  • Tightens on your face if you're not using moisturizer
  • light
  • for a few months
  • $ 10

By on

This work really well! It clears up acne scars and acne fairly quickly. It does make your skin dry so you'll need a good moisturizer. You'll probably need to increase the dosage after 3 or 4 months.

Pros

• Clears up acne and acne scars
  • Cheap

Cons

• Dry skin
  • light
  • for more than a year
  • $ 3
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I used this product (5%) on my entire face for 2 days. My skin went from red for brown and blotchy and even swollen i some places. Even if it does help acne this product is very HARSH!

Pros

• dries up zits and oily skin

Cons

• my skin looked worse
  • very drying
  • causes hyper-pigmentation
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 14

By on

Let me just say that I've had acne for almost 10 years, im 26 now. I normally don't write reviews for this kind of thing, but after only a week's use, I can say that my skin is the best it's looked in 10 years. USE BP WITH CAUTION THOUGH. My first use, my skin was red, irritated and completely swelled up. One of the problem was that the BP kept eating at my face so I had to remoisterize every hour. I couldnt do this at night since I was asleep so when I woke up my face looked like hiroshima.

I stopped using it after 2 days and just used moisterizer for the next 4 days. After a week, my skin returned to normal and was free of pimples,. Now I just use it as a spot treatment. BP does work, even with a person like me who has incredibly sensitive skin. As with anything, please do extensive research before trying BP, best of luck to you all!

Pros

• Clears pimples
  • fades scars a little

Cons

• Will redden your face if you apply all over
  • May cause itchyness, dryness, irritation if you have sensitive skin
  • DO NOT WEAR AROUND YOUR EYES, may cause bags/wrinkles
  • DO NOT WEAR USE BP AT NIGHT ON YOUR FIRST TRY, do it during the day time
  • I got made fun of at work :(
  • moderately severe
  • for a day or two
  • $ 5

By on

BP is the gold standard over the counter acne treatment. I have used it for many years. When I started using it, it was very effective and I was happy. I started on 2.5%. A few years later the 2.5% stopped working so I switched to 5%. Again it was very effective. A year or two later it stopped working so I switched to 10%. Again great success. Now however 10% no longer works and I am unable to control acne with this product.

One thing I have noticed is that my skin is extremely oily now whereas a few years ago my skin used to be only moderately oily. In line with my experience, check out pubmed id 17309452: in this study BP increased sebum output by at least 10% over an 8 week period!

If excess oil is a problem for you, I suggest you try another product (as I am now doing).

Pros

• it works (for a few years anyway)
  • after the initial period, it does not sting on application

Cons

• it stops working after a while (after many years for me)
  • over time it seems to increase oil output
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 15
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I got acneside 5% last week as recommended by my aunt who is a GP. I noticed the effects from day 1 and was v impressed.

This is definitely the best topical ointment I have used for acne, being much more effective at spot drying and skin clearing than salicylic acid or tea-tree oil based products.

However, after a week I am a little disappointed that I am still getting spots although the BP is great at clearing them up quickly.

I am going to stick with it along with trying to eat healthier as being having too much chocolate over Xmas may also be causing breakouts.

So yeah, BP is great but it is a response rather than a solution to acne and so must be combined with some preventative measure.

Pros

• Dries up spots overnight better than any topical ointment used before, clears away blackheads and whiteheads and leaves skin feeling smooth, great for oily skin - leaves it matt, you can get it without prescription

Cons

• Does cause severe drying and is a killer if you get it anywhere near your eyelids so you have to be careful, leaves red marks where you had a spot, I still keep getting spots so it doesn't prevent you getting them just helps clear them faster, I am a little concerned about premature aging so think I am going to just put it on the individual spots for most nights
  • light
  • for about a week
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

YOU MUST GET SOMETHING WITH THIS IN IT. Only 2.5% please!

I saw the BIG improvement the very first night. Now, proud to say, my skin has been its clearest in 6 years! I don't even recognize my skin anymore. This is amazing. The drying is SO worth it. Plus, the peeling sort of gets rid of my acne scars. :]

Pros

• Gets rid of acne FAST
  • Clearer skin in just days!

Cons

• Dries out skin [need moisturizer]
  • moderately severe
  • $ 6
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.