Page 2 of Benzoyl Peroxide reviews

3.4/5 - 190 reviews

Benzoyl Peroxide.

Reviewed on April 3, 2013

(Note: For those worrying about skin cancer, be aware the 1981 study was done on mice and DMBA was used as a tumor initiator, and if the WHO is condoning use of it personally I'm not worried. Do your own research.)

I combined 5% benzoyl peroxide with zinc supplement treatment for a bad patch of cystic/hormonal acne on my chin that's been there for years without going away. I apply the BP nightly after washing my face, and if it's particularly drying will use some vitamin E night cream over it. The dryness comes and goes, I don't always have issues with it (though I do always feel my skin 'tighten' where the cream is applied once it starts to dry). Together, they've done the trick, and my chin acne is nearly all gone for the first time in years. I will likely continue to use BP as a preventative even once my acne clears up, as it does wonders for my skin in general. Even my blackheads are taking a hike.

2.5% would likely work fine, but I was finding only 5% or higher formulas at my local store. I've used both before, and both did the trick.

Reviewed on March 31, 2013

Listen, if you want the same outcome as benzoyl peroxide with no side effects; use tea tree oil. I was skeptical about it initially but it's antiseptic, antibacterial and natural properties did indeed heal my acne plagued skin. It does take longer to work so be patient, but you don't need to go searching far for a cure when mother nature gives us this gift for granted. Trust me, I know how hard it is to look in the mirror every day and can't even remember how your face looked before the acne.

Reviewed on March 31, 2013

This just works - I've tried Epiduo, Retin-A's, and tons of other stuff over the course of 4-5 years. I found this to be the only thing that helps and the secret is in how you apply it - wash your hands and then slather on. Check out The Regimen videos. Your skin will probably dry out at first (my face peeled for like 2 weeks) but you will get past that! Use 2.5% - it's harsh, but not too harsh. 10% is probably too much for face. I use 9.8% on my back as the skin is thicker.

Reviewed on March 1, 2013

This worked for me, I'm 21 and suffered with severe acne ALL OF A SUDDEN out of nowhere and it destroyed my social life. With a mix of this and Diane 35 I officially am completely clear. Completely. :)

Reviewed on February 28, 2013

I have had acne for almost 12 years now and this topical medication did nothing to subside it that's for sure.

Reviewed on January 28, 2013

I will never use this again, but it worked amazing for a wile

Reviewed on March 10, 2012

So I used Epiduo for a while a year or two ago and it worked for me although it was expensive and so I didn't want to be stuck paying the $300 dollars or so for the rest of my acne days. My skin definitely cleared up but it was hard to justify the price because my acne honestly wasn't that bad. Lately though (about 4 or 5 months ago) my acne really flared up and it was really bothering me so I decided to do some research. I found out that Epiduo was a mixture of Benzoyl Peroxide and some other chemical. So I decided I would try Benzoyl Peroxide by itself. Best choice I've made in a while! My skin looked so much better in week 1! Right now I'm on week 3 and the redness has been gone since week one and the dryness is gone since week 2. My skin still isn't 100% clear (I still have small bumps on my cheeks...I can definitely deal with it) but I'm sure it will get there. I only use it at night because I feel like my skin would get really sensitive if I went out in the sun with it. The brand of Benzoyl Peroxide I get is DDF. I really like this because it also as Tea Tree which really combats the oiliness that I get. It is a little more expensive than other brands but I think it is totally worth it! So overall I am really happy with Benzoyl Peroxide!

Reviewed on March 7, 2012

The first time I used BP, I tried the 10%. I applied too much product and within 2 days my eyes were puffy.

I visited my dermatologist and told her that I was allergic to BP. She said that maybe it wasn't an allergic reaction and to try a lower dose of BP.

Being scarred from my first BP experience, I decided to take things extra slow! So here's what I did:

1. Take 5% (or lower dose) BP and apply a layer of it on your arms for 1 day. If your skin doesn't react, then you aren't allergic to it. Proceed to step 2.

2. Apply BP to a non-sensitive part of your face only. For example, I applied BP on my forehead since that is an area that produces the most oil and doesn't burn. Do this every other day for about a week. (week 1)

3. I applied BP to my forehead and also started applying it on my chin. I did this everyday, morning and night, for another week. (week 2)

4. I finally was able to apply BP all over my face. My cheeks are usually sensitive so I was hesitant, but the first time I applied BP, my cheeks were fine. I don't really worry about my cheek area so I only apply BP every other day, at night. (week 3)

By this time my forehead and chin had cleared up. Acne scars on my cheeks had faded. When I go out (which is rare), I lightly exfoliate with my clarisonic, just to get old, dead, flaky skin off. I apply BP only on troubled spots, wait for it to dry, then apply moisturizer. I use bare minerals concealer and powder to cover the redness on my face.

The one thing I don't like about BP is that it leaves my face red, which is weird when your face and body don't have the same color tone. And I walk around school and work out without make up on, so I get a little self-conscious going out with a super red face. But I stay positive knowing that eventually my face will clear up!

by squirrelsquirrel on 06/02/2013 21:49
Are you applying sunblock as well? You should! BP makes you skin sensitive to sunlight.
Reviewed on March 3, 2012

Please use this in small amounts! Don't use too much at once, wanting you acne to become clear. It has left me with damaged skin for years and years until this day. I used it almost 9 years ago and its still damaged.

Reviewed on January 28, 2012

used this aswell as taking 50mg of doxycycline, does take some time to work and as doxy doesn't stop the smaller pimples and blackheads, benzol helps in that way by clearing skin, however it does take some time to find what amount and regime works for you, my advice use lots of moisteriser!!!