Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel reviews

4.2/5 - 103 reviews

Benzoyl peroxide (5%).

Docusate sodium, disodium edetate, poloxamer 182, carbomer 940, propylene glycol, acrylates copolymer, glycerol, silicon dioxide and purified water, citric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

Harsh for regimen use
Reviewed on April 17, 2014

The 5% proved to be as effective as 2.5% in controlling acne, but the formula was harsh on the skin, it left my whole face red and tingly.

It leads me to believe that this concentration is intended for thicker skin, but even then, I would recommend using this on specific areas of persistent acne rather than applying on whole face.

Trick not to get redness and itchiness
Reviewed on January 15, 2014

My secret is to put Benzac OVER the moisturizer. After shower I wait 5 min before putting on Benzac, guess what, by that time skin is already dried out:( so Benzac plus, here we go red and itchy skin:) moisturizer after didn't save me:)

So my way, after shower I use my moisturizer on NOT completely dried out skin. THEN wait 5-15 min and then apply generously Benzac. That way I completely avoid ALL dryness, redness, itchiness:) Probably it's not completely absorbed by skin, but it's OK, cos smth. IS absorbed and NO irritation at all:) Warning: IF irritation occurs just change the moisturizer, some of them react badly with Benzac. I use nuxe prodigieuse light or creme fraishe light- works great. Worked terrible though with nuxe nirvanesque light - got irritation:)

Works like an acne bomb!
Reviewed on October 15, 2013

I was using a product for my acne. It wasn't very bad on my face but it was insane on my back and under my neck. I could hide it with some clothes, but I was running out of them, and of course as it was summer so my friends and I wanted to swim, but I was too ashamed to wear a bikini. I used a product recommended by loads of people for about two months but it just got worse! Everything looked red and bumpy. I bought benzac, and I've only used it for a week, I can barely see any marks or pimples on my skin! I feel so much more confident. I'd defenitely recommend it to any teenager! I'm fifteen , so anyone near my age is welcome to try it.

Controls acne, but doesn't get rid of it completely
Reviewed on September 5, 2013

When I was in Russia for two months, I did not take any acne treatments with me from the US, thinking that I will just buy something in Russia. I used proactive for like a year, and didn't take it with me to Russia. When I got to Russia, I literally could not find any benzoyl peroxide treatments in stores! All they had were washes and creams with salicylic acid. BUT, I went to a pharmacy, and they did have benzac ac 5%! It was the only benzoyl peroxide treatment I could find anywhere in Russia, so I had no choice but to buy it, because by that time, I had really bad breakouts and my acne was out of control after I stopped using all acne treatments (which were mostly proactiv, but I'm not saying proactiv is bad. I'm just saying I stopped using every acne treatment for a couple weeks).

I bought benzac ac 5%, and finally my acne was back in control! I got rid of acne on my cheeks, and it significantly reduced acne on my forehead, but didn't get rid of it completely. It didn't get rid of my whiteheads on my chin though. And it REALLY dried out the skin and made it flaky. I had to use moisturizer like twice a day, and had to put on a couple of layers each time. I used it with clearasil ultra face wash (which has 2% salicylic acid, but it was fine on my skin combining these two products), and a non-comedogenic moisturizer with spf 15 (it was a Russian moisturizer, but I looked up all the ingredients that were in it, and it was non-comedogenic for the most part but it had tocopherol).

The acne on my cheeks went away after a week or so of using it (and it was just a few pimples), but the acne on my forehead just reduced, but didn't go away. After a month of using it, the results are the same, acne doesn't go away completely, but it is in control. Doesn't get rid of whiteheads though.

Would've given it a 4.5; A truly wonderful product!
Reviewed on August 28, 2013

I've used the Benzac AC 5% for a little less than 11 weeks now and from the first day I've used it compared to now, it truly is amazing. Now I only gave it a 4.5 rating because it didn't really "clear" everything up. I'd say I'm about 90%-95% clear but I've moved on to the 10% variant to try my luck, hopefully it works. I really love this product and I'd recommend it to anybody.

Reviewed on April 9, 2013

5.rub benzac cream into affected areas

(6. put makeup on)

voila no dry face. these steps work. don't do step 6 if night time (:

Reviewed on November 7, 2012

I've been using the benzoyl peroxide 5% since i cant seem to find the 2.5% in our local pharmacy.

Been waiting for my acne.org products but i can't wait to start so i've been using this and somehow it lessened the number of growth of my acne. I think it would have been better if i used the Benzac 2.5% and maybe my face would be less red, dry and flaky

Reviewed on November 6, 2012

I was using both 10% and 5% from april till end of august. I was pretty happy with results, even locally it dries out the skin. Unfortunately when you stop using it acne comes back so intensive as before! Unfortunately after i have started to use this product i have got a strange reaction around my eyes - they got red, were itching, got swollen....also near nose and in the corners of the nose the skin became very dry and it was really disturbing. I didn't know that this product can cause it. But i was by the doctor and checked myself for allergies and i have none of them. So we found out that it was benzoyl peroxide that caused my neurodermitis. After i stopped using everything got good as usual. So you have to be very careful! use it only local on the points of acne!

Reviewed on October 19, 2012

i have been using 10% benzoyl peroxide face cream. and the Galderma gel based benzoyl peroxide was much lighter on my skin. i have just started using it, so i will post another review, since no one else has. its the only product i could get my hands on here in south africa dischem stores. otherwise, there was a 10% benzoyl peroxide oxy cream. and that smelled really bad

was about R60 (zar)

Reviewed on May 19, 2012

I used Benzac W 5, i assume it is the same product, or at least very similar since it is made by the same company. I started using this because my face got so bad, i was covered in a ton of nodules and cysts, and my face was starting to scar. I got really depressed over it, and out of desperation bought this product because other things i did were not working. When i first used this in the first couple weeks my skin was SOO dry, red and itchy. It was almost unbearable but i could see my skin was improving a little so i continued to use it. This definitely made a noticeable decrease in my acne, i took off my makeup after about 3 weeks of using this and was told my skin looked way better. I would say about 80% of my acne is cleared. i think once the hyper-pigmentation has faded i would be fine going out of the house without makeup, where as before i wouldnt be caught dead. If you can get through the part where you skin is insanely dry, its completely worth it. Just get a good moisturiser and this could solve you acne problem.