Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel reviews

4.1/5 - 111 reviews

Brand: Benzac AC

Benzoyl peroxide (5%).

Docusate sodium, disodium edetate, poloxamer 182, carbomer 940, propylene glycol, acrylates copolymer, glycerol, silicon dioxide and purified water, citric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide (5%) Gel

Where to buy is not associated with this product. All proceeds from links go to charity.

Reviewed on October 26, 2015

A few months ago i started this and left a review at how excellent it was. However after 4 months of using it, i found that it leaves scars and the scars then turn brown and become holes. I honestly do think this WILL help active acne, but is it worth the scars?

I have stopped using this and my scarring is improving, however as much as it works for pimples, it leaves the worst scars and its not worth it at all.

Just becareful when you use this, and try to avoid it as much as possible. Hot compress or aloe vera work well, or just try concealing the pimple until it naturally goes.

If someone had told me this before starting using it, i swear to god i would have NO scars on my face. PLEASE becareful!

Waste of time and money
Reviewed on September 18, 2015

Terrible product. My face has been red, itchy and swollen for the past three days because of Benzac. Numerous trips to the doctors have had to be made, Doctor strongly recommends not to buy either. Horrible product.

Will Benzac AC 5 work for me?
Reviewed on September 7, 2015

Ive been to the dermatologist twice with acne problem and he prescribed purbac which worked wonderfully well until i completed the course (my skin felt like a baby's bum), then suddenly terrible breakouts on my face, back and neck leaving scars.

Now i've been using benzac AC 5 for almost two weeks now. It's itchy and irritating however now my skin looks worse than before especially on my forehead, back of my ears and chest. Is this a normal reaction? It just looks like all the black and white heads underneath the skin surfaced all at once, everywhere i touch there's a bump. What should i do? Any tips on getting a clear skin?

Reviewed on June 10, 2015

my skin has never EVER looked so bad as this ever before, the moment I started using this, my skin went worse and worse. my skin is super dry and red. my acne is worse and i can peel my skin of. it burned when I put it on my acne and it hurts. maybe I'm allergic, but it said that 1 out of 10 people get these things to.

I strongly DO NOT!!!! reccomend this to anyone.

Give it time for complete (or almost complete) clearing
Reviewed on October 20, 2014

Well, I started using the 2.5% version while doing the regimen and it did work a bit. One thing you should know is that no matter how much moisturizer you put on your skin you will always be irritated, and finding a non-comedogenic moisturizer is really hard (needless to say impossible). A few months ago I went to my grandmas house for the summer where I couldn't find the 2.5% version so I decided to buy the 5% version. At that time my face was almost clear, I did get the ocassional pimple, but it was nothing compared to before and they did not hurt like before either. At that time I'd been using the product for about 6 months and I was really pleased. By then I noticed the moisturizer was breaking me out, and also that I did not need to use the bp twice a day (It was quite harsh). One thing you should know about bp is that in the beginning you are going to peel down a lot , but nowdays (almost a year later) I use it almost once a day (sometimes I skip a day by accident) and I don't get even near to peeling and I get about one little pimple every 2 weeks or so (before I use to get one angry pimple per day). My advice is to give it a try, but wait till your skin gets used to it, and also try to use a gentle cleanser that doesn't have sls.

Benzole peroxide will work
Reviewed on July 16, 2014

There are few acne products that actually produce effective results this is one of them. If you are like me and have had acne for many years then you would also have accumulated a lot of info on products and what actually has evidence of working. Benzole peroxide does work. Will it work for everyone? No.. because people's faces and skin differ. People can be severely sensitive to certain products natural or otherwise. You have to read up as much as you can. And you have to try things to see of they will work for you. This product is definitely worth it to try out. This brand ? Well you can get cheaper forms so it's up to you. So more about my skin:

I'm 25 been off the pill for 1 year and 3 months have acne. Oily tzone mostly white heads on cheeks with occasional cystic sore deep ones. I followed my own regimen of bioderma sensibio h2o followed by duac and go to bed . Next morning bioderma and sunscreen. Leave the scrubbing and abrasive washes be and keep things simple. I'm not 100% clear and I have hiper pigmentation scars but I'm much better than I have ever been off the pill.

READ and you'll have no problem
Reviewed on April 29, 2014

tried proactive for two years its expensive and made no difference, been using benzac for less than a week and it has cleared up all the pimples and all the scabs that i had and nothing new has shown up, and for the same size tube its a third of the price, just make sure that like with all medication you read the information that comes with the tube of gel, i have read some of these reviews saying that they went red and swollen and dry around nose and eyes . . . . . um if you read the info it tells you not to put the cream on sensitive areas around the nose and eyes . . . . .READ and you will be fine, it can feel a little warming but i have had no redness, itching or anything even though i admit i did not obey the rules of the info and i left it on overnight from day dot, hey i'm alive to tell the tale and no complaints :)

Not a fan
Reviewed on April 23, 2014

I have used Proactiv in the past and that actually gave me flawless skin. Altough I stopped using as it wasnt very cost effective, so i decided to switch to more natural/non-harsh products.

The best Ive found is using QV Wash as a cleanser and Goats Milk moisturiser (can get at chemists or chemist warehouse).

But I ran out of both and completely broke out and they didnt have any of my moisturiser left so I bought Benzac AC 5% gel instead.

I didnt do anything for me and just left an uncomfortable film on my face.

Harsh for regimen use
Reviewed on April 17, 2014

The 5% proved to be as effective as 2.5% in controlling acne, but the formula was harsh on the skin, it left my whole face red and tingly.

It leads me to believe that this concentration is intended for thicker skin, but even then, I would recommend using this on specific areas of persistent acne rather than applying on whole face.

Trick not to get redness and itchiness
Reviewed on January 15, 2014

My secret is to put Benzac OVER the moisturizer. After shower I wait 5 min before putting on Benzac, guess what, by that time skin is already dried out:( so Benzac plus, here we go red and itchy skin:) moisturizer after didn't save me:)

So my way, after shower I use my moisturizer on NOT completely dried out skin. THEN wait 5-15 min and then apply generously Benzac. That way I completely avoid ALL dryness, redness, itchiness:) Probably it's not completely absorbed by skin, but it's OK, cos smth. IS absorbed and NO irritation at all:) Warning: IF irritation occurs just change the moisturizer, some of them react badly with Benzac. I use nuxe prodigieuse light or creme fraishe light- works great. Worked terrible though with nuxe nirvanesque light - got irritation:)