Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel reviews

Brand: Benzac AC

Benzoyl peroxide (2.5%).

Docusate sodium, disodium edetate, poloxamer 182, carbomer 940, propylene glycol, acrylates copolymer, glycerol, silicon dioxide and purified water, citric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

Would not recomend
Reviewed on November 19, 2016

Benzoyl peroxide is the devil. It is quite potent as an antibacterial which is why it may clear up acne for some individuals (and granted it doesn't lead to antibiotic resistance). However, the way it works is damaging to the skin- it produces free radicals which will kill bacteria but will also damage your own skin cells! This will lead to inflammation, irritating your skin and preventing it from functioning smoothly, and build up of dead materials inside your skin which contribute further to comedogenic acne and breakouts. Free radical damage can also contribute to premature aging and promotes acne scarring- nobody wants that.

I used benzac for a couple of months and while it did sort of help my superficial breakouts (whiteheads etc) it didn't do anything for deeper cysts. My skin was constantly dry and peeling, and my complexion was very dull and discoloured. I was also left with scarring and pigmentation from even the smallest blemishes, which didn't happen previously. So even when I didn't have any breakouts I wasn't comfortable without makeup due to pigmentation, scarring and a strange, dull, brownish complexion. In addition to this I developed forehead lines real quick- I'm only 19! I started using retin-a and when I used benzac with this it was extremely painful and my face basically peeled away (tretinoin cream is fabulous stuff without using benzac with it!!) I'm studying medicine and the fact that derms recommend this product makes me angry- it's really not healthy for your face in the short or long term.

Switch to another antibacterial agent such as azelaic acid (brand is az-clear or finacea)!! Azelaic acid is anti-inflammatory and antioxidant and is equal to benzoyl peroxide in its antibacterial effect. Due to reducing inflammation it will prevent scarring and post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation. It also reduces pigmentation and sun damage. Until I used this I didn't believe that it was possible to make up-and-coming breakouts disappear overnight- but this stuff literally does. You can use it in a smaller amount all over your face (I do this ever morning) or just smear a thicker layer over a spot and pain will disappear and it shrinks down real quick!! It also works well with retin-a/stieva- reduced my peeling. Just don't put them on at the same time as they do not work in a synergistic manner- use one in the morning and one at night.

For reference: Schulte BC, Wu W, Rosen T. Azelaic acid: evidence-based update on mechanism of action and clinical application. J Drugs Dermatology. 2015;14(9):694-698. (find on pubmed)

In saying all this, acne is usually a result of internal imbalances and will never be 100% cured by topical treatments- check your diet for foods that may be promoting internal inflammation and overgrowth of unwanted bacteria and parasites or creating pH imbalances. Eat your 2 & 5 and do some research. I haven't had a breakout in months (as long as I stick to a plant based diet high in healthy fats and veggies) and my face legit glows.

Just started
Reviewed on September 26, 2016

Hi I'm fourteen and have mild acne around my face for 3 YEARS.My acne made my face look dirty, lowered my confidence around people and made fun of by my sister (she describes anything disgusting as my face) so I'm very desperate on getting rid of it. I did some research and found a treatment cream called 'Benzac 2.5%' and brought it and started trying it a few days ago.I was well aware that it may irrirate my face but luckily it didn't so I started using this cream 3 times a day :morning ,midday,night right away. Soo far there is more acne popping out than it suppose to dissappear, is this normal? Did I do something wrong? And I am still using it.

Just alright
Reviewed on September 10, 2016

Works great for whiteheads, not for under the skin pimples

Yes or No?
Reviewed on September 10, 2016

I've been using this for 16 days and my cysts are still there 😭 Should I stop or should I keep using it?

by The unconfident on 09/29/2016 22:47
Use it for 4 weeks then see if works
"best sunblock"
Reviewed on August 24, 2016

What sunblock is best for oily,sensitive and acne prone?

Yes and no
Reviewed on January 28, 2016

i have moderate acne after been using this 2 weeks it works!! it clears all my acne i usually apply it 10mins before shower and use clinda-M after shower and only sunblock lotion in morning.. but this only helped for 2 months or so then my cysts came back on my neck

by JenkinRock on 05/18/2016 19:28
Which lotion you used..?
by lhub on 08/24/2016 13:10
I think you used the wrong lotion
Cleared my acne
Reviewed on July 3, 2016

I had raised skin colored bumps on my forehead which created a very uneven skin texture. whenever I stood under a light the bumps on my forehead would become really obvious especially since I have oily skin. I used benzac ac every night and at first the bumps turned red and became pimples which I assumed was the skin purging so I continued with it. my skin did start to dry out after a while so sometimes I would apply cetaphil moisturizer instead of benzac at night. by week 3 there was a noticeable difference as my skin slowly started to smoothen out. after a month all the bumps are now gone and my forehead looks a lot better. definitely worked for me so do try it out to see if it works for u!!

Apply Benzac AC + Cetaphil moisturizer
Reviewed on August 6, 2015

Hello! I'm new to the Regimen and have just begun using benzoyl peroxide this week. After washing my face at night, i allow my skin to dry, then apply benzoyl peroxide. After about 15 min, I use Cetaphil moisturizing cream. I expect my dry skin to feel relieved from the cream, but gradually the burning and itching sensation increases. It is really difficult not to rub or scratch my skin when this happens.

Is this normal or is there something wrong with the cetaphil cream? I was wondering if maybe it reacted with the BP

by Zangelie on 08/13/2016 14:31
Yes it's itchy AF for the first 2 weeks or so but then you'll get use to it. Please try you hardest not to touch your face. The itchiness will eventually go away. The results are worth it. You'll have clear skin and benzac also lightens old dark pimple/acne scars
bye bye pimples.... :D
Reviewed on July 27, 2015

Hi frnds... I ve been suffering with this acne for almost 6 to 7 yrs. Yes ! I ve tried being natural and chemical.... To be honest I wasted my money... The result was I kindled those sleeping volcanoes... It was during my engagement tat all broke out... Obviously pics we're ugly... Later I was prescribed to use benzac ac 2.5% in the morn and evening ... Clindac a gel during the night... After a week... To b honest I hated to even peep into the mirror cuz my skin was so dry... But I continued cuz my pimples were vanishing... Again I tel u... Pimples will vanish with those but scars should be treated separately... Cuz u cannot expect a coffee directly from a cow... Ingredients come from different resources in order to have an awesome coffee.... Coffee = skin... Tc frnds...

It's okay
Reviewed on June 27, 2015

I've recently started using benzac 2.5. It's been about 2 weeks now and I haven't noticed any big changes other then my face been really dry. I went to the doctors and got prescribed a cream called differin and my doctor told me to use it along with my benzac cleanser and benzac gel. I was told to use this for a month and see how my skin goes but as some people are saying they've had results in the first week but yeah i recommend this product but just be aware of how dry it will make your face I find it burns even to put makeup on

Every skin type is different so might as well give it a try

by uri1234 on 09/14/2015 11:55
I had the same experience when I just started using Benzac. Only after about one month or so, it started working. Its been about 2.5 months now, and I had about 2-3 pimple, which were very minor and passed quickly. P.S Make sure to apply sunscreen when you start using BP, because it makes your skin super sensitive and prone to PIH!!
by Tai27 on 11/14/2015 14:43
Hi Gemma, I'd use a different cleanser because the cleanser you're using has fragrance in it.. It lists 'perfume' as one of the ingredients and then in brackets.. the ingredients in 'perfume' aren't all so great.. Maybe find something a bit more gentle.. or at least doesn't have fragrance, bad alcohols and essential oils..