Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel

Average price: $14.10

Most helpful review

By Paris Violeta, Mexico on 07/05/2011
thumbnail

THIS IS REALLY AMAZING. I tried some other products with 5% and it made my skin sooo red and soo irritated. My face was always peeling. It was awful and I was so sad but then I found this and its wonderful! Believe me! I suffer from redness and irritation and this really helped me..

Pros:
  • Its great for sensitive skin like mine.
  • It REALLY gets rid of acne.
  • Its the best thing Ive tried.
  • It mattifying.
Cons:
  • 1 tube of 60 gr.
  • Small amount of product.
  • I think I will run out of it very quickly.

29 out of 46 people found this review helpful

Benzoyl peroxide (2.5%).

Docusate sodium, disodium edetate, poloxamer 182, carbomer 940, propylene glycol, acrylates copolymer, glycerol, silicon dioxide and purified water, citric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

Member reviews

“Gets rid of 70% of acne”
By on

I started using this as a replacement for a British BP brand Panoxyl 2.5% that went out of stock last year. It's sold primarily in Aus and NZ and cost a bomb to get shipped over (£10 a tube!) But I am more than happy to pay this because it works. I have PCOS-related acne (so very cystic) that still breaks out around that time of month, but 70% of the time this stuff keeps me clear. It can also be quite 'mattifying' if you put lots on. One thing to say about this above and beyond most brands of acne treatments is that it is very light, and you can wear foundation on top of it with it peeling horribly underneath of looking obvious, which is a must for me.

Overall, it will control angry cystic spots when coupled with good moisturizer and cleanser (I use Cetaphil), but like most brands it will not get rid of them 100%.

Pros

• Gets rid of 70% of acne within a month
  • Light formula, doesn't cause excessive peeling
  • Can easily wear make-up on top of it

Cons

• Super expensive
  • Still get breakouts
  • for about a year
  • $ 15
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“it helps!”
By on

i was on my 3rd year highschool when pimples bursts out on my face. i tried ProActiv, Defensil, Clean&Clear but nothing works. Most of all, I regret using The Body Shop tea tree line coz it makes my face so horrible, pimples all over. ughh. And now i'm on my 3rd year college, wow! Im still have pimples. So sad :( I'm actually a girl who's so shy in many people, i'm always on our house. but when I discovered this benzac gel I purchased it and after 2 months i know my face is getting better than before. I'm only on my 2nd month so i have to wait until 6 months maybe if my face improves already. For people who suffers from acne, cheer up! There is more than on our skin, acne will fade in time. Just be patient :)

Pros

• pimple dry easily
  • easy to apply

Cons

• dry and flaky in first time use
  • makes my face red on the 1st month. but that's how it works!
  • for a few months
  • $ 7
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“My worst decision ever!”
By on

People, be REALLY careful using even the lowest concentration of Benzoyl Peroxide as it still might have some very nasty and unpleasant consequences that might last for weeks!!!

I started to have some small issues with my face skin (small pimples on my cheeks and jawline) after I moved to another country, so I was suggested by the pharmacist to try Benzac AC to quickly get rid of those imperfections. First I was almost convinced to buy 5% as he told me that 2.5% will be just too mild. Thanks God, I did not listen to him!

I ended up with Benzac AC 2.5% gel in my bag and instructions to use it twice a day. But after reading some reviews I decided to take it slow and apply pea size amount of BP only once before going to bed and afterwards put some moisturizer to help ease the potential dryness.

Well, guess what happend. First and second day everything seemed wonderful. Pimples where slowly going away and I thought that BP is really a miracle cure!

But... It was way too soon to jump from joy. Third morning when I woke up my face was AWFUL. Red, swollen, peeling and itchy and believe me it is WAYYY worse than few pimples that you can cover with makeup.

I threw out BP immediately swearing never ever to use that thing in my life. Its been 3 days after I stopped using that devils gel, but I am still dealing with the consequences. I am forced to spend my days at home as I cannot show my face in public. My face still looks really bad and I can only pray that it will get better in few days...

Pros

• Got rid of my small pimples on the cheeks in three days of usage

Cons

• After 3 days applying pea size amount of Benac AC only once at night, I woke up with swollen, red and irritated face!! It's been another 3 days after I stopped it immediately but my face is still not getting better
  • for a day or two
  • $ 10
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“Benzilliant!”
By on

I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, then apply this. I have noticed a difference in spots within 3 weeks and I will continue to use this. It's made by Galderma who make Cetaphil so I can trust this to really work! Until I'm 100% clear I will give this 5*

Pros

• Easy to spread
  • Trustworthy

Cons

• Hardening Effect
  • for about a month
  • $ 10
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Cleared my acne!”
By on

Having used benzoyl peroxide before I was really scared to try it again. But under the rules and instructions of The Regimen, it worked for me this time around. I went from severe cystic acne to cysts free face in 10 weeks. Yes it make your face sore, red, irritated and flaky, but those are just the initial stages of The regimen. Follow through and give your skin time to get used to the product and it did wonders for my skin. I've been acne free for a couple of months now and I still plan to continue The Regimen to control my acne.

Pros

• Kills acne bacteria
  • No fragrance
  • Gel formula doesn't streak

Cons

• Biggest tube is only 60mg
  • Irritates the skin in the initial stages
  • for a few months
  • $ 11
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

• moderately severe

By on

i purchased this product when i was 14, but only the facial wash and it didnt so anything in the first week so i stopped. a few years later i picked it back up cause i started to breakout really badly across my cheeks and forehead mainly. they werent cystic just bumps and pimples. so i went and brought the wash and the loation and decided to stick with it for longer than a week religiously, it actually works! you need to stick at it though and after the first week you peel like mad! but after that you should start seeing results. however (yes there is always a bottom line) it doesnt get rid of cystic acne from appearing i still get a few really hard pimples on my forehead and stuff that never seem to go away jdfbgaejbgrerw but i suppose that is just hormonal. aside from that it cleared up my pimples great i would recommend this product to anyone struggling with any type of acen :) BUT REMEMBER TO STICK WITH IT AND EITHER WAY YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL <3

Pros

• good for spot treatment
  • works fast

Cons

• leaves a white residue
  • dries out skin
  • doesnt get rid of acne 100%
  • moderate
  • for a few months
  • $ 20

By on

I found the 10% BP strength cream worked much better than the 2.5% or the 5%. I used this product religiously for nearly five years and loved it. Doesn't clear your skin but definitely helps to minimize the appearance of cystic acne.

Pros

• + soothes angry blackheads and pimples
  • + minimizes the size and appearance of cystic acne
  • + does work well to rid acne

Cons

• leaves a white residue if not blended properly
  • thick consistancy makes it hard to blend
  • expensive
  • moderate
  • for more than a year
  • $ 23.5

By on

I only have acne on the sides of my chin, and jaw line, but they are very severe. They keep breaking out, i do not think one day in a year my skin is clear!!! this product helps to dry the infected ones, but it will take few weeks for the infected ones to heal! It does not prevent further acne to form.

give it a go, it may suit your skin. you also shuld give it a few weeks to work.

Pros

• dries the skin, reduce redness.

Cons

• expensive, small amount, does not prevent further breakouts!
  • moderately severe
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 27
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

By on

I was looking back at my photo's and noticed i first got acne when i was 13 and im not 18. I finally decided to do something about it, i tried every acne treatment there is and nothin worked even made it worse. I found Skin B5 and thought this would help but i got the worst breakout of my life (not joking it was seriously bad). i went to the docs and he gave me erycne which helped a little bit but my acne was still pretty bad, i didnt even want to leave the house. I didn some research and read about Benzac, i wasnt expecting much as with the hundreds of other products i tried but i though id give it a go. After a week my pacne went down dramatically however my face was so red it wasnt funny. i decided to keep with it howver just cut back on the dosage. I'm on my second week of using this and all my acne is gone, the redness is just about gone and my confidence has come back. This is no doubt the best acne treatment if you want good results.

Pros

• clears acne Fast!
  • dont notice it when you put it on
  • doesnt smell
  • over the counter

Cons

• small dryness but if you start out slow you'll be fine
  • does leave a bit of redness
  • moderate
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 13
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.