Benzac AC Benzoyl Peroxide (2.5%) Gel reviews

4.1/5 - 49 reviews

Benzoyl peroxide (2.5%).

Docusate sodium, disodium edetate, poloxamer 182, carbomer 940, propylene glycol, acrylates copolymer, glycerol, silicon dioxide and purified water, citric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH.

mostly works
Reviewed on July 25, 2014

This has mostly cleared up my skin in 3 months, but I still get a cystic pimple on my chin every month when it's that time. It works well, and has kept most of my acne at bay and evened out my skintone (less redness). I suffered from the occasional flakyness at first, but it wasn't unmanagable. But it seems to me that since I've been using this, I have more blackheads on my nose? It's like they got to the surface and are more visible now. I tried pore strips but they won't come out, and I can't extract one by one. Has anyone had this problem?

I need to share my Testimony.
Reviewed on May 25, 2014

I am not really fan of writing reviews for any product but I think I should share to other acne sufferers how benzac totally healed my acne.

WHEN i was in college, i just have 1-3 zits and its manageable not until the age of 24, I started getting cystic acne on my cheeks, then it became unmanageable. I needed to wear make ups to cover it. It really lowered my confidence /self esteem. I tried a lot of home remedies but i didnt stick to any of it as it seem not working. I went to a dermatologist and prescribed me tetralysal so I took that medication religiously for 2 mos. It controlled my acne tremendously but not totally. I fought with the scars then. But after 4-5months it came back worst than ever. I tried a lot of vitamins to control it, to reverse hormonal imbalance. Fish oil, vitamin d3, etc etc. I tried also some facial creams but nothing worked until i have read about this product. I just tried. I started with 5% , I experieced the painful sensation ESPECIALLY in the area surrounding my eyes, i should aavoid putting the gel there. I got, flaking and dryness but all subsided after a week or so and my skin got used to the medicine. It didn't totally controlled my acne but I can see improvements, I decided to shift to 10% and bought the bigger size tube. I think it was just 2-3 weeks and I never had any pimple again til now. It's almost 2months. I use it with olay moisturizer, first the regenerist but it was expensive so i switched to olay white radiance coz what i need is moisturizing and fading of scars. Now I dont need much make up. Jist a bit to conceal some acne marks. 4-6 marks left and its getting lighter each day. I hope acne will be forever controlled. I will just be using this product as spot treatment .

I thank God for healing me. Its not really this gel or what, God is the real healer. This is just an instrument for my healing. So just pray. GOD WILL HEAL YOU.

Best acne treatment I have come by so far
Reviewed on April 17, 2014

Even the lowest concentration of BP will not start off well. My first few days consisted of breakouts and peeling. This is the "purging" process, the skin pulls out underlying acne and is not yet used to the dryness.

My second week showed dramatic improvements. Active acne was kept under control, and this gave the skin freedom to start healing post-acne marks.

It is important to apply the treatment evenly and thinly across the face as The Regimen instructs. If one area has too thick a layer, you will get white residue left on your face.

EDIT: I would also like to mention that Benzac does not need to be applied generously as the regimen suggests. Using anymore than a fingertip amount leaves a lot of residue on the skin, meaning a lot of the medication is wasted. Simply applying a pea size amount everytime has brought results for me.

Works if you're persistent
Reviewed on April 24, 2014

I'm in my 20s now but I first started using this product when I initially started breaking out during high school. I stopped using it because my acne had subsided.

About 6 months ago I began breaking out again like no tomorrow! I had acne, blackheads, whiteheads and small bumps all over my forehead, chin, jaw and neck area. No joke, my acne had never been so bad before.

I began using a bunch of other products which only aggravated my skin more and made my acne worse. THEN I re-discovered Benzac and started using it again. Probably the best decision I ever made. The first couple of weeks I experienced a lot of dryness/peeling and had a handful of new pimples popping up. It wasn't pretty at all. But it gets worse before it gets better so I kept using it along with a load of moisturiser and sure enough, my acne began to subside within the 3 week mark.

I've been using it for just over a month now and I no longer experience extreme dryness (only mild but it's nothing a bit of moisturiser can't fix). My skin is pretty much clear apart from a couple active pimples. My complexion is so much more clearer and I've noticed that even if I do get pimples popping up, they usually go away within a few days.

Overall, definitely recommend this product.

Gets rid of 70% of acne
Reviewed on December 27, 2013

I started using this as a replacement for a British BP brand Panoxyl 2.5% that went out of stock last year. It's sold primarily in Aus and NZ and cost a bomb to get shipped over (£10 a tube!) But I am more than happy to pay this because it works. I have PCOS-related acne (so very cystic) that still breaks out around that time of month, but 70% of the time this stuff keeps me clear. It can also be quite 'mattifying' if you put lots on. One thing to say about this above and beyond most brands of acne treatments is that it is very light, and you can wear foundation on top of it with it peeling horribly underneath of looking obvious, which is a must for me.

Overall, it will control angry cystic spots when coupled with good moisturizer and cleanser (I use Cetaphil), but like most brands it will not get rid of them 100%.

it helps!
Reviewed on July 27, 2013

i was on my 3rd year highschool when pimples bursts out on my face. i tried ProActiv, Defensil, Clean&Clear but nothing works. Most of all, I regret using The Body Shop tea tree line coz it makes my face so horrible, pimples all over. ughh. And now i'm on my 3rd year college, wow! Im still have pimples. So sad :( I'm actually a girl who's so shy in many people, i'm always on our house. but when I discovered this benzac gel I purchased it and after 2 months i know my face is getting better than before. I'm only on my 2nd month so i have to wait until 6 months maybe if my face improves already. For people who suffers from acne, cheer up! There is more than on our skin, acne will fade in time. Just be patient :)

My worst decision ever!
Reviewed on July 25, 2013

People, be REALLY careful using even the lowest concentration of Benzoyl Peroxide as it still might have some very nasty and unpleasant consequences that might last for weeks!!!

I started to have some small issues with my face skin (small pimples on my cheeks and jawline) after I moved to another country, so I was suggested by the pharmacist to try Benzac AC to quickly get rid of those imperfections. First I was almost convinced to buy 5% as he told me that 2.5% will be just too mild. Thanks God, I did not listen to him!

I ended up with Benzac AC 2.5% gel in my bag and instructions to use it twice a day. But after reading some reviews I decided to take it slow and apply pea size amount of BP only once before going to bed and afterwards put some moisturizer to help ease the potential dryness.

Well, guess what happend. First and second day everything seemed wonderful. Pimples where slowly going away and I thought that BP is really a miracle cure!

But... It was way too soon to jump from joy. Third morning when I woke up my face was AWFUL. Red, swollen, peeling and itchy and believe me it is WAYYY worse than few pimples that you can cover with makeup.

I threw out BP immediately swearing never ever to use that thing in my life. Its been 3 days after I stopped using that devils gel, but I am still dealing with the consequences. I am forced to spend my days at home as I cannot show my face in public. My face still looks really bad and I can only pray that it will get better in few days...

by Lynie on 12/07/2013 04:58
Hi there! Is your skin better now? How long does it take for your skin to become normal again ? Im having the same problem. I left it over night, the first two day wasn't so bad but the third day woke up with red swollen itchy face. Can u tell me tips and tricks ? I can't show my face in public anymore
Benzilliant!
Reviewed on July 13, 2013

I use Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, then apply this. I have noticed a difference in spots within 3 weeks and I will continue to use this. It's made by Galderma who make Cetaphil so I can trust this to really work! Until I'm 100% clear I will give this 5*

Cleared my acne!
Reviewed on June 30, 2013

Having used benzoyl peroxide before I was really scared to try it again. But under the rules and instructions of The Regimen, it worked for me this time around. I went from severe cystic acne to cysts free face in 10 weeks. Yes it make your face sore, red, irritated and flaky, but those are just the initial stages of The regimen. Follow through and give your skin time to get used to the product and it did wonders for my skin. I've been acne free for a couple of months now and I still plan to continue The Regimen to control my acne.

Reviewed on July 5, 2012

i purchased this product when i was 14, but only the facial wash and it didnt so anything in the first week so i stopped. a few years later i picked it back up cause i started to breakout really badly across my cheeks and forehead mainly. they werent cystic just bumps and pimples. so i went and brought the wash and the loation and decided to stick with it for longer than a week religiously, it actually works! you need to stick at it though and after the first week you peel like mad! but after that you should start seeing results. however (yes there is always a bottom line) it doesnt get rid of cystic acne from appearing i still get a few really hard pimples on my forehead and stuff that never seem to go away jdfbgaejbgrerw but i suppose that is just hormonal. aside from that it cleared up my pimples great i would recommend this product to anyone struggling with any type of acen :) BUT REMEMBER TO STICK WITH IT AND EITHER WAY YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL <3